Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I only watched the Maggie/Nicole scenes for Maggie. STFU Asscole. You betrayed Chloe because you're selfish.

STFU Prictor. He just couldn't resist getting in his weekly insult towards a woman.

Can someone give a brief overview of Valerie Grant? Does she have a reason to have issues with Julie? Other than Julie being annoying banshee.

Rafe and Hope are sickening. I hope Aidan is the one who gave Andre the tape of Hope's confession.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

Can someone give a brief overview of Valerie Grant? Does she have a reason to have issues with Julie? Other than Julie being annoying banshee.

Valerie dated Julie's son David. They shared the first interracial kiss, between a White man and a Black woman on the show, that nearly caused Days, to be cancelled, due to viewer outrage.. David got into a car accident and was presumed dead by his family. Valerie's parents took him in and they fell in love. I don't think that there was alot of acrimony between Julie and Valerie...Perhaps, she was against her son being, with a Black woman....To appease the viewers, the show stopped showing affection between the couple, until they broke up....David moved on to Renee and Valerie to Abe..

Valerie was friends with Marlena. She was a psychiatrist like her. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

Man ok Days
I'm living for this episode! 

Days is setting itself up nicely heading into November Sweeps. 

Deimos and Nicole still continue to be at odds over this Chloe baby drama.   Good lord why didn't her stupid self not tell Nic about the test results before leaving.   

Oh I'm here for Valarie and Abe.   Vanessa Williams is a natural!   Oh and that shade she gave Julie was everything.   I don't know much of the history between Valarie and Julie outside of the fact Val dated David Banning, Julie's son.   I can only assume Julie didn't approve of their relationship back in the day,  hence,  why Val despised her. 

Damn,  Hope thought she was in the clear when she got that USB drive from Aiden.   This MF mad copies and sent one to Andre.  ?  Glad this character went out in low key blaze of glory.   He couldn't get the girl but still was going to make her life a nightmare even if he's not there anymore.   I can't wait to see all their faces when it's revealed Hope killed Stefano. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, BlackMamba said:

Oh I'm here for Valarie and Abe.   Vanessa Williams is a natural!   Oh and that shade she gave Julie was everything.   I don't know much of the history between Valarie and Julie outside of the fact Val dated David Banning, Julie's son.   I can only assume Julie didn't approve of their relationship back in the day,  hence,  why Val despised her. 

Valerie/Abe and Valerie/David were before my time, but, I saw clips of the Grant Family on youtube, before, they got pulled off, by the youtube police..Sadly, the purge of past episodes, continues..

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Valerie/Abe and Valerie/David were before my time

They are before my time too, so I was not only confused over who Valerie was, but by her Julie snub. Thanks for the little history lesson Apprentice79.

Did anyone else get the feeling Andre was glancing up at someone? If so, Aiden, I presume. Maybe that little embrace between Hope and Rafe left Aiden with wanting a little leaving town revenge.

I am so tired of all the Daniel mourning.  I mean Maggie maybe, since he was her son.  But Nicole?  I'll never forget the previous, previous writers making Daniel so nasty towards her.  Remember multiple door slams!  Then the previous writers back-burnered Daniel, so we did not see this great romance that developed post door slams. So I will never think of Daniel as a great lost love of Nicole's no matter how many times the current writers make Nicole mourn him.  SMH.

Then there's Nicole's current nasty man. (not to be confused with the current "nasty woman" in the news) Every time they almost make me not hate Deimos, the writers turn around and make Deimos worse that before.  

Other than those complaints, I enjoyed today's show.  :)

• Love 4

I finally got to watch yesterday's show online, because we don't have cable since somebody decided to cut our cable and Comcast is dragging their feet about how long it will be to fix it.

Anyway, the only thing I really wanted to comment about on yesterday's show was that the scene between Roman and Rafe in the cop shop was really oddly staged, they kept cutting Rafe's head off.

• Love 2

I can't believe how good Cosgrove was today...he ran the gamut. I hope he is able to submit an Emmy reel.

I'm liking Valerie alot already..but does she seem about 15 years too young for Abe, or is it just me?

Can't wait to see her and Julie at odds...provided the writing for Theresa doesn't make me hate this show completely.

• Love 5

OK< a day late and a dollar short and haven't seen today's yet, but WTF with the Chloe baby/Nicole/Deimos stuff?  

I saw the paternity test reveal and last I saw, Deimos was not the father and Kate didn't have time to switch the test.  Then Chloe was like "How could it be?  Well maybe...?" and left town and left Philip and said bye to Nicole.  Was there something I missed?  Was there a reveal that Deimos really was the dad and Chloe still told Nicole?  Did I miss something big, or was there a retcon in that short of time?  

Furthermore, with all the crap Deimos has pulled, why would Nicole let him be so angrily cruel to her?  Why would she even put up with it for a minute?  Dump his ass and move on!!!  He is proving why Chloe wanted to keep this a secret from him.  I like VI and wanted to like Deimos, but he is such a hypocrite and a brute that I just can't with him anymore!

Steve and Kayla were beautiful yesterday.  Loved Kayla's hair too, she looked very pretty.  They still melt my heart after all these years.  Wished they had played "Lady In Red" while they danced, I would have just melted. Sigh

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LadyJaney said:

OK< a day late and a dollar short and haven't seen today's yet, but WTF with the Chloe baby/Nicole/Deimos stuff?  

I saw the paternity test reveal and last I saw, Deimos was not the father and Kate didn't have time to switch the test.  Then Chloe was like "How could it be?  Well maybe...?" and left town and left Philip and said bye to Nicole.  Was there something I missed?  Was there a reveal that Deimos really was the dad and Chloe still told Nicole?  Did I miss something big, or was there a retcon in that short of time?  

Yeah, wth is going on here?  Show has screwed up the time lines so much, I have no clue how much time has elapsed since the Paternity non-Reveal and what we are seeing today.  Days? Weeks? Months?  If it was supposed to have been a few days ago (each week of shows used to be roughly a day, I thought) then are they trying to make it a twist on the star crossed lover SL, where there was the big paternity reveal and Chloe presumably went off to find the actual father, while meanwhile, Nichole was left in the dark, didn't get the memo, so she's still going with the "holy shit, Deimos is the father and I need to warn him" SL?  If so, why hasn't Deimos set her straight and said he was at the test?  

Show and writers are doing such a shitty job of follow through with the story lines, it's making my head spin.  Doesn't help that I have had to be sporadic in my watching of late.  I think I need to go back to the era when I took a several year break from this show.

• Love 3

I'm so glad Hope put her foot down and refused to give in to Aiden's demands. Aiden look like he just wook up when he realized Hope will never love him again.  Especially with his son raping Hope's daughter.  Cosgrove did such great acting as he told the story of his past and remembered the man he use to be.  Aiden quickly blowing out the candles in the hotel room was powerful as he realized that his delusional dream of love is over and that there was never going to be a romantic night between him and Hope.  Soapy acting at its' best!

Deimos/Nicole scenes were really good!  My God Deimos is such a mean sonofabitch!  Don't go back to him, Nicki!  All he ever cared about was himself.

The new doctor seems to be very lovely.  It can mean that she will be turning into a villain soon.

I will always love Steve/Kayla love scenes.  If only Joey can disappear and leave them alone.

• Love 4

Valerie Grant!  Be still my heart - this could be good.  At the very least, Abe is going to have something to do, finally.  It's been a criminal shame how Show has refused to utilize this long term character and  now he's getting story WITH some history.

And anyone in Salem who can give Julie attitude is okay with me.  I'm wondering if Show is going to give us some sort of living, breathing, connection to Julie through Valerie, such as a previously unknown grandchild from her long lost son?  I hope not.  I'd much rather Valerie's return be centered on Abe but after today I'm not too sure.

Daniel Cosgrove was great today.  His character was ruined, but at least he's getting to leave town partially redeemed and NOT six feet under.

• Love 7

Deimos, grow up and deal with your anger issues. Chloe's secret or her baby's paternity is not Nicole's business to spill the beans on. Maybe she did the right thing, maybe not. Nicole is Chloe's friend (and now probably ex-friend). Going ballistic on her is not appropriate. You are showing her exactly who you are and she has every right to reconsider any dealings with you. It is up to you an Chloe to determine what if any role you will have in the baby's life (if you are indeed the father) - shared custody, visitation, etc.

Nicole, it is time to stop mourning Dr. Dan. Surely there are some other men in Salem or nearby in Chicago. Or just choose yourself for a while.

Don't really remember Valerie Grant.

Daniel Cosgrove, I really have enjoyed watching you.

Hope, don't be stupid enough to think that Aiden has only one copy of the USB drive. You are a cop.

• Love 6

Can someone please tell me why DC was brought back to only be continuously ran over by a very large bus? I am still in mourning over what might have been with the character of Aiden. Now, I am stuck with the continuing saga of Rope. Excuse me as I take some nausea meds.

Hmmm.....Valerie Grant. She was before my time of watching. Is she the lady that is Lani's mother or am I getting her confused with someone else? Either way, if she causes more Abe on my screen Ill be a happy camper.

Baby drama. No thanks. Its been done too much!

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, mikesgirl99 said:

Is she the lady that is Lani's mother or am I getting her confused with someone else?

Lani's mother was supposed to be Tamara Price (Marilyn McCoo).  I enjoyed Valerie's debut, but the actress is a little young to really feel like the right fit for the role.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, lska said:

Lani's mother was supposed to be Tamara Price (Marilyn McCoo).  I enjoyed Valerie's debut, but the actress is a little young to really feel like the right fit for the role.

I'm wondering why they went with Valerie Grant instead of Tamara Price since Lani is coming back to the show.  My guess they are doing a multiple story arc and Valerie will be sharing time not only with Abe but also with Julie.  Otherwise they would of just brought Tamara back for Abe.

I believe Valerie was a much more integrated character than Tamara was so there is more history with Valerie. I'm guessing.

• Love 5

Vanessa A. Williams is a goddess.  I'm very glad that 1) a new, interesting character has been introduced; 2) that Valerie thinks Julie is not worth her time; and 3) that JR/Abe will finally get some main player screen-time.

I do not want to see Nicole return to being a pathetic doormat begging for forgiveness from a man.  She needs to tell Deimos to go fuck himself and move on to someone who doesn't rage at her.  And gee, what a surprise that Victor thinks it's terrible that Nicole kept her baby from the father, but it's perfectly ok for Deimos to take his baby from the mother.  I've had more than enough of Victor's hypocrisy and misogyny.

So was that it for Daniel Cosgrove?  At least his character didn't get completely ruined ... but too bad the actor was completely wasted.

• Love 5

This episode is kind of surprising for me.

One,  Ciara/VJ,  has she finally been taking acting classes??   She didn't have many lines but she didn't give me grey hairs or want to pull my hair out for once.  Really liked the scenes between Theo/Abe/Valarie.   I'm beyond thrilled Days is making thrives making the black family relevant and have enduring scenes.   Well done. 

The Kiriakis scenes were interesting.   With Xander still possibly hanging around,  it will be interesting to see,  if and when the balance of power could shake up again since Deimos has the company.   I truly thought Sonny would get it but maybe it's on the horizon. 

And please don't attack me,  but I actually liked the Hope/Rafe scenes today.   Rafe is a cornball but today he like corny adorable and liked their talk and rehash that was non-Stefano killing related and their scenes actually made me buy into them.   Yet this is definitely a calm before the storm especially with how yesterday ended with Andre and the audio recording. 

This was probably the most fluff Days has given me in well over a year or so I appreciated it a lot.   

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 4

BlackMamba:  I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I love seeing Abe in a real story-line. He's such a great Dad.  And now looks like he's even going to have some romance in his life. I loved him and Lexie together and miss her, but can probably get on board the Vabe(?) train if the writers don't make her an unlikable character.

I also thought VJ was better today. I even noticed she was opening her mouth more when she spoke.  And I've always liked Theo. The previous writers should never have put the teens in lead stories and let them just be on the fringes until the actors got comfortable in their roles. 

I almost liked Hope/Rafe today. If only their romance didn't originate from the murder and coverup, I could probably be ok with their pairing.  When Rafe said he's always wanted to be a father, I thought, well probably won't (better not) happen with Hope. Maybe he and Nicole need to get together. Or have they already been a couple?

And the Kiriakis family.  I like that they've pulled the family together.  I suspect Victor will live to regret putting Deimos in charge though.

• Love 1

Jebus, Philip, would you please get off of the snarking against Brady?  It's getting old.

Glad to see Maggie on her feet.

What, how was Deimos coerced into kidnapping Bo?

Gee, Victor, if you don't want to keep arguing with Philip, then stop.

Where were Rafe and Hope, with al of the police tape around them?  Way out in the woods where?

Ciara doing her best to horn in on Claire's man.

Listen to Theo, Abe.  She's up to something.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I don't believe for a second that old miserable bastard Prictor is ready to let bygones be bygones with Deimos, especially not after what he did to Bo.

Not to mention Maggie, the woman that means enough to him that he is retiring to spend more time with her to help her recover from the injuries caused by Deimos.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Jaded said:

Vanessa A. Williams who's currently playing Valerie Grant is 53 in real life.

James Reynolds is 70.

"Con-siggly-airy"? Jesus, Justin. (And once again, writers: Greeks and Italians -- not the same.)

God, JPL is atrocious.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Jaded said:

Vanessa A. Williams who's currently playing Valerie Grant is 53 in real life.

Given that Valerie was an adult in the 70s, 53 is too young for the role and makes the use of history ridiculous, but then again, this is Days where Marlena was possessed by the Devil, Andre and Victor are running around as free men and 6 or 7 year-old Joey Johnson is an obnoxious, badly acted, college student.

• Love 2

Shouldn't Salem bit a bit chilly now, since it's the end of October? At least Hope and Rafe should be wearing hoodies/fleece. And no, putting police tape in a public place to simulate a crime scene does not make it right.

The whole Kirorleone scene was silly - all signing like they were signing in blood.

I did understand Theo's outburst.

Hope Abe gets something better happening with his life now.

• Love 2

Why weren't the rest of Victor's relatives involved in approving that deal?  They have as much right to the money as those who did sign.

Ciara and Chelsea

Shawn-Douglas and Claire

Sonny's brothers

If Deimos is going to try to claim that he's the father of Chloe's child, then Chloe has a claim on the money too.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Given that Valerie was an adult in the 70s, 53 is too young for the role and makes the use of history ridiculous, but then again, this is Days where Marlena was possessed by the Devil, Andre and Victor are running around as free men and 6 or 7 year-old Joey Johnson is an obnoxious, badly acted, college student.

I wasn't around then but how old was Valerie really when she was on the show?  I mean she couldn't have been that much older if she was involved with Julie's son.  I mean Julie is at the most 70?

I think the character of Valerie is probably supposed to be a little older than 53 but not so much older that its a noticeable discrepancy.  I know James Reynolds is 70 but I don't think Abe is supposed to be that age; John, Marlena, Kate, Roman, Abe, Tony/Andre are all supposed to be in their mid 60's now.

Either the timeline was screwed up back then when she was with Julie's son or it's screwed up now, either way I don't think she looks inappropriate/too young with Abe.  She really is no younger looking than Lexie would of been by now.

Yes, I'm aware Lexie was always younger than Abe, but it was never really brought up or referenced as an issue.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 2

Does Victor's business empire have a Hissy Fit division?  Because if it does, it would be criminal if Philip didn't get to run it.  

That group he had in the Kiriakis Mansion fighting over the spoils looked like an explosion of schmoos.

And Deimos?  Keep it up and Nicole will have you singing soprano before your next dye job is scheduled.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, boes said:

Does Victor's business empire have a Hissy Fit division?  Because if it does, it would be criminal if Philip didn't get to run it.  

That group he had in the Kiriakis Mansion fighting over the spoils looked like an explosion of schmoos.

And Deimos?  Keep it up and Nicole will have you singing soprano before your next dye job is scheduled.

Seriously outside of Justin it was a collection of Dunces.  I was half expecting Victor to say screw you all I'm leaving it in competent hands with Kate.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I wasn't around then but how old was Valerie really when she was on the show?  I mean she couldn't have been that much older if she was involved with Julie's son.  I mean Julie is at the most 70?

I think the character of Valerie is probably supposed to be a little older than 53 but not so much older that its a noticeable discrepancy.  I know James Reynolds is 70 but I don't think Abe is supposed to be that age; John, Marlena, Kate, Roman, Abe, Tony/Andre are all supposed to be in their mid 60's now.

Either the timeline was screwed up back then when she was with Julie's son or it's screwed up now, either way I don't think she looks inappropriate/too young with Abe.  She really is no younger looking than Lexie would of been by now.

Yes, I'm aware Lexie was always younger than Abe, but it was never really brought up or referenced as an issue.

I also wanted to say that Renee Jones who played Lexie looked young, but, she was in her 50's, when she left the show.  I don't see any problems with Vanessa playing Valerie.  It could be jarring for some, because Vanessa is very youthful for her age. I remember people complaining that Lexie was too young and hot for Abe. I also think that James looks great for 70. 

• Love 1

Steve and Kayla really brought the sexy today.  When Kayla compliments his manhood, I still find it hard to believe that Mary Beth Evans isn't hot for that. Hehe.

They were so beautiful together again today. When they speak of the past, I like to think that the twinkle in SN's eye is because they are really talking about the good old days of DAYS and their success together.  They look so natural together all happy and making out! 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I also wanted to say that Renee Jones who played Lexie looked young, but, she was in her 50's, when she left the show.  I don't see any problems with Vanessa playing Valerie.  It could be jarring for some, because Vanessa is very youthful for her age. I remember people complaining that Lexie was too young and hot for Abe. I also think that James looks great for 70. 

Lexie was always a little younger than Abe, I'd say anywhere from 7-10 years at the most, but because Renee was always so youthful looking I think the presumption was that there was always a bigger age gap between them when there wasn't.  Also because when Lexie wasn't with Abe she was usually with someone younger like Brandon or Tek.

• Love 3

It was funny how in the very opening of the show, Gabi is standing there on the very left of the screen, and the TV14 logo was planted directly across her face.  Show should know better.

Kate has ethics?

What is Eduardo doing?  Is he really going to deal drugs, or is there something else going on?

Clyde's "hideout" was in the park, wasn't it?

Has Andre ever interacted with Theo?

Great medical work there, misdiagnosing a guy as dead when he's now up walking around.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Was that dance between Blanca and Dario supposed to be awkward or hot? Because it was definitely not hot. 

I only saw the last 15 minutes or so today, and unfortunately saw that dance. And definitely not hot.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I was a little kid at the time, but David and Valerie weren't teens, they were no younger than early twenties during the 1975/76 introduction of the character, at least that was my perception as a child based on what I was seeing.

I have no issues with Vanessa Williams, but they should have cast more age appropriate. Casting younger women for men remains one of the unchanging bastions of sexism in entertainment and I would have hoped that by this time, the show would have shown some growth, especially in a pairing where such things won't matter.  I mean Days isn't going to pair her with anyone but Abe, no matter who she has or lacks chemistry with (see Lexie)/ so why alter her age so completely.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

I was a little kid at the time, but David and Valerie weren't teens, they were no younger than early twenties during the 1975/76 introduction of the character, at least that was my perception as a child based on what I was seeing.

I have no issues with Vanessa Williams, but they should have cast more age appropriate. Casting younger women for men remains one of the unchanging bastions of sexism in entertainment and I would have hoped that by this time, the show would have shown some growth, especially in a pairing where such things won't matter.  I mean Days isn't going to pair her with anyone but Abe, no matter who she has or lacks chemistry with (see Lexie)/ so why alter her age so completely.  

I agree. But I wonder if this has to do more with ratings? I don't care one way or the other about Vanessa, but apparently she has a following..and people have a high opinion of her. Maybe she can "draw in" some viewers? Just like they got ME back by bringing in George Delhoyo.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but I'm still not understanding.  Are you referring to the actress's actual age.  Meaning you have an issue with 53 year old Vanessa Williams paired with 70 year old James Reynolds?

Or

As far as the character if Valerie was in her early twenties in 1976, that was 40 years ago.  Say the character is supposed to be 60 now.  Is it really an issue that a 53 year old actress is playing 60, especially since Abe is supposed to be no older than 64-66.

Sincerely asking here since we keep talking about both the actress and the character's age, just trying to keep things clear.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

As far as the character if Valerie was in her early twenties in 1976, that was 40 years ago.  Say the character is supposed to be 60 now.  Is it really an issue that a 53 year old actress is playing 60, especially since Abe is supposed to be no older than 64-66.

AFAIC, it's really not a big deal, but the actress reads a little younger than 53.  I don't have a problem with the age gap and casting someone who seemed 65 probably wouldn't be a great choice with the demographics of the show.  It's just a little distracting and doesn't make me really believe she's *that* Valerie, kind of like KdP is never going to be *that* Eve for me.

• Love 5

I enjoyed Steve and Kayla and the resurrection of Orpheus.

Eduardo, you in to drugs? Weapons?

Not interested in Dario and Blanca/Bianca.

Chad and Jennifer had a nice moment.

Very possible that the drug Orpheus took to 'kill' himself masked him being dead. Without a full autopsy, he possibly could get away with it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but I'm still not understanding.  Are you referring to the actress's actual age.  Meaning you have an issue with 53 year old Vanessa Williams paired with 70 year old James Reynolds?

Or

Sincerely asking here since we keep talking about both the actress and the character's age, just trying to keep things clear.

I'm more concerned with casting younger for the character. Aside from the sexist part, older actresses, especially older actresses of color have it hard enough in the industry without being beat out of roles they are actually age appropriate for. I have no issue with Ms. Williams per se, I hope she flourishes in the role. I just wish we could stop treating older actresses like viewing poison.  

Asfor today's show, loved Steve and Kayla and the health check-up PSA, and the fact that my boy Orpheus is alive.  Give 'em all hell, well giver everyone but Kayla hell.

33 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I enjoyed Steve and Kayla and the resurrection of Orpheus.

Eduardo, you in to drugs? Weapons?

Not interested in Dario and Blanca/Bianca.

Chad and Jennifer had a nice moment.

Very possible that the drug Orpheus took to 'kill' himself masked him being dead. Without a full autopsy, he possibly could get away with it.

I assumed you the same thing about the drug, so either Marlena's skills as a doctor are up,for debate, or we got a bait and switch.

• Love 3