Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I took the kittencat back to the vet for a bandage change. He was a very good boy while I was gone but going into the long weekend I wanted to make sure everything was healing (it is). The doctor made him a new t-shirt to wear and attached it to his bandages. I'm sure he will figure out how to crawl of out of this one too but every day he wears it is another day he's not trying to eat his bandages. He tried to sleep on my chest last night, which worked for awhile but I had to move him next to me and he didn't move from his spot all night. The cat-cat took up residence on the other side of me, but not right next to me and also didn't move.

I was so beat Monday night when I finally got home that I wasn't able to stay awake to give them the cattention they wanted. I think I made up for it yesterday.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

image1A.jpg.edee2d0a5af2a9ba577af9f0d2d12687.jpg

This is my little girl by my little tree (Rosemary plant) 

image2A.jpg.b40c04fdddc75827458253157c9c2848.jpg

This is my big boy. You can see their differences in size! 

My many thanks to @Moose135 who sized and tweaked these photos so I could post them. 

If I didn't already have lame names for my critters, they'd be Fat Man & Little Boy.  ;-D

• Love 4
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

My cat unplugged my freezer in the basement. 

I opened it up yesterday evening and it was dark, and stinky. I thought maybe it died. I followed the cord back to the outlet and found that it was hanging out of the outlet. Best guess is that she launched herself through that area at some point and landed on the cord, yanking it out. 

Sigh.

"I'm sorry we can't host Christmas dinner; the cat unplugged the freezer and all the food spoiled."

• Love 10

@bilgistic Ha!  It's pretty much a great way to start any excuse.  I'm going to be late for work today, my cat unplugged the freezer... I can't go to your holiday pot luck today, my cat unplugged the freezer...

I've GOT to figure out a way to work this in to at least one conversation.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

@bilgistic Ha!  It's pretty much a great way to start any excuse.  I'm going to be late for work today, my cat unplugged the freezer... I can't go to your holiday pot luck today, my cat unplugged the freezer...

I would've replied to your post earlier, but my cat unplugged the freezer.

• Love 10

I discussed earlier in this forum that I give the girls lysine for respiratory issues.

The lysine comes in a little round tub, and contains a little plastic spoon about the length of my pinky finger. The spoon has the right measurement for one dose (poultry-flavored powder).

I had bought a bigger tub online and refilled the smaller one that I got initially from the vet. The new tub also came with a little spoon. I washed the old spoon and put it away and started using the new spoon.

This is a really exciting story.

I was laying the spoon atop the little tub instead of pushing it down into the powder and closing it. I learned today that was a mistake.

I went to put some lysine in the girls' food earlier and couldn't find the little spoon. It wasn't anywhere on the counter and I hadn't pushed inside the lysine. Maybe a ghost was playing with me. I figured it would eventually turn up. Maybe it fell under the dish drainer where I leave rinsed recyclables. I got the newer spoon from the drawer and used it, then left it atop the tub.

A bit later, Little Girl came into the bedroom and was playing with something. I figured it was one of her Luna bar wrappers. I looked, and it was the spoon for the lysine. Mystery solved!

I still can't find the first spoon, though. She's hidden it somewhere. I heard her a bit later, up on the counter, knocking over the tub of lysine. She knows that being on the counter is a no-no, not that it means anything.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I discussed earlier in this forum that I give the girls lysine for respiratory issues.

The lysine comes in a little round tub, and contains a little plastic spoon about the length of my pinky finger. The spoon has the right measurement for one dose (poultry-flavored powder).

I had bought a bigger tub online and refilled the smaller one that I got initially from the vet. The new tub also came with a little spoon. I washed the old spoon and put it away and started using the new spoon.

This is a really exciting story.

I was laying the spoon atop the little tub instead of pushing it down into the powder and closing it. I learned today that was a mistake.

I went to put some lysine in the girls' food earlier and couldn't find the little spoon. It wasn't anywhere on the counter and I hadn't pushed inside the lysine. Maybe a ghost was playing with me. I figured it would eventually turn up. Maybe it fell under the dish drainer where I leave rinsed recyclables. I got the newer spoon from the drawer and used it, then left it atop the tub.

A bit later, Little Girl came into the bedroom and was playing with something. I figured it was one of her Luna bar wrappers. I looked, and it was the spoon for the lysine. Mystery solved!

I still can't find the first spoon, though. She's hidden it somewhere. I heard her a bit later, up on the counter, knocking over the tub of lysine. She knows that being on the counter is a no-no, not that it means anything.

Cats like to bat shit, while driving us batshit.  I am still finding errant Sobe bottle caps under furniture, and My Beanie Baby has been dead for many years (he was the only cat who played hockey with them).

• Love 6

She really is. My cats aren't, and I remember the year I bought bat wings for Swiffer and an angel outfit for Lucy. So of course Swiffer sat there angelically, while Lucy did alligator death-rolls across the floor until she'd pulled off the costume and killed it.

• Love 9
On 12/21/2017 at 8:13 AM, theredhead77 said:

Alli is the most photogenic doggie ever!

On 12/21/2017 at 9:09 AM, bilgistic said:

She's always such a good sport about wearing various costumes and accessories.

23 hours ago, riley702 said:

She really is. My cats aren't, and I remember the year I bought bat wings for Swiffer and an angel outfit for Lucy. So of course Swiffer sat there angelically, while Lucy did alligator death-rolls across the floor until she'd pulled off the costume and killed it.

Thank you for all of your Alli praise, I can never get enough compliments of my dog, she is a joy.

Except when she chewed up my new glasses but who can stay mad at that face........

• Love 7
5 hours ago, bosawks said:

Thank you for all of your Alli praise, I can never get enough compliments of my dog, she is a joy.

Except when she chewed up my new glasses but who can stay mad at that face........

Little Girl ia obsessed with my glasses. I have some that stay in the bedroom for watching TV, so I often fall asleep wearing them and later in the night rip them off my face in a huff because I'm annoyed at how they're uncomfortable to sleep on. Imagine that. They end up on the bed or nightstand, and she bats them or chews on the stems, which now have kitty teeth marks all over them.

If I'm cognizant enough, I'll hide them under my pillow or put them in the nightstand drawer, but that rarely happens. So the battle continues. It's so odd what pets fixate upon.

• Love 4
On 12/20/2017 at 10:06 PM, walnutqueen said:
On 12/20/2017 at 4:37 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I would've replied to your post earlier, but my cat unplugged the freezer.

Both of our cats have unplugged the computer more than once.   Or the mouse, or the monitor, or etc., etc.

Luckily neither the stove or the refrigerator are set up so that the cats can get behind them. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

Girl cat woke me up at 2 am by meowing loudly from the litter box. She's done it a few times before and I suspect constipation, poor puss. She has a wellness visit scheduled for the 19th and the vet office is closed until the 2nd. Has anyone had success with canned pumpkin? I'm not sure how much to give or how to give it.

• Love 2

Plain powdered Miralax (for people) worked for Bilgisticat. He had chronic constipation associated with his digestive diseases.

Start with 1/8 teaspoon of the powder per day mixed in wet food. You don't have to make it like a drink or mix it in water; just use the powder. Increase to 1/4 teaspoon once or twice a day...but go slowly (over time/days) because too much will cause diarrhea.

If you're feeding dry food, try to switch to wet.

You might need to take her to the emergency vet. They can do an enema or manual extraction.

• Love 3

Thanks, @bilgistic! If the freezing rain turns to real rain, like it's supposed to, and frees my car from its carapace of ice, I'll go to the store. If not today, tomorrow. The girl does get wet food, and a big water fountain, and she's managing to get something out, but it's dry and clearly she's having trouble sometimes. A little lubrication is called for, I think. My big boy cat who died 7 years ago had to have a couple of enemas. Such fun.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ABay said:

Has anyone had success with canned pumpkin? I'm not sure how much to give or how to give it.

Regular psyllium is better (make sure it's unflavored and unsweetened), and that you would give 1/8 to 1/4 tsp daily, mixed into wet food, hopefully with some water added to the food if cat will allow that.

For canned pumpkin, you'd mix about a tablespoon of it into the food (some cats dig it and will just eat it on their own).

Either way, water and fiber is what you're looking to add.

• Love 4

Thanks, @Bastet! I picked up some miralax and we'll see how that goes, with Metamucil or other psyllium product as a backup. So to speak. It was a little guess work about 1/8 teaspoon since the smallest I have is 1/4 teaspoon, but I mixed it with wet food she likes and she ate at least a bit of it. Fingers crossed.

Spell check weirdness: miralax resets as Miramax.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ABay said:

I picked up some miralax and we'll see how that goes, with Metamucil or other psyllium product as a backup. So to speak.

Heh. 

The Miralax will work just as well as psyllium; I only prefer the latter because it's natural. 

Hopefully you'll see results soon!  At least she's still getting stuff out, so you know you have time to let fiber and water work rather than needing to think about an enema.

• Love 2

Just wanted to update to say Captain has a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). My friend wasn't able to take him to her Vet until Wednesday around lunch time and their soonest opening that day was in the afternoon. He came home this morning. Friend couldn't pick him up yesterday due to work. She works for the county and is the only one in her position and is never really off even though she is based on working hours. Captain was prescribed Amoxicillin so I get to give him that twice a day for awhile. At least the extra time at the vet gave them time to get him started on his med so he came home with his symptoms improved.

Even though a URI isn't good I'm relieved that it wasn't a kidney issue which is what I was really worried about. I'm glad he's home, he's glad he's home and I'm glad neither of us have to be alone anymore especially for the next few days. It's been a long time since I've had to give a cat meds like this so I'm hoping he won't be too combative with me. 

Hope you and your cat find relief soon too @ABay

Speaking of toys Captain loves the cheap little catnip mice from Walmart. He goes crazy with one, it disappears and will sometimes reappear for a brief return to action. Usually they go missing and I've only found a little stash of about 3 of them once. There aren't that many places for him to hide them or for them to hide themselves here after being batted around so I'm curious as to where the majority of those tiny ratties are. He's been given a boatload more then 3 of them to play with. ?‍?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 5

The kitten-cat has been sleeping under the covers every night and insists on being on my lap whenever it's not bedtime. He's normally clingy but this is really out of character. I'm hoping once the staples come out and he no longer has to wear his tiny-tee and bandages he'll be back to his normal self.

• Love 5
On 10/6/2017 at 5:51 PM, bilgistic said:

I introduce to you my new girls, Erin (left) and Lexi (right)! Erin is Lexi's daughter, and is 1.5 years old. Lexi is almost 2.5. They are very strongly bonded--they sleep together, headbonk each other, and won't walk in a room without each other.

I found them through the Animal Adoption League here. Their foster "mother" is an incredible woman, and I feel fortunate that the girls have been in her wonderful care. They just moved in about 24 hours ago, so they are definitely still getting used to everything, but they are progressing well today and trusting me quickly. I adore them!

IMG_20171006_123140_crop_559x670.jpg

That's wonderful! And they're very pretty! 

• Love 7

Thanks for the help and well wishes. Based on the outcome, girl cat seems to be responding to the miralax. Huzza!

However, she still whines in the litter box. Not always and sometimes more loudly than others, and If I go in to find out what's happening, she's usually already out of the box and heading for the door. So I don't know. Cats. They are so lucky they're cute.  Unless things escalate, I'll call the vet first thing 1/2 when they reopen and move up her wellness appointment.

This is her.

girlcat.jpg

Edited by ABay
  • Love 13

I got my cats a cat tree for Christmas. Diamond has no interest as of yet but Ella is in love with this hoop seat. It's her new curl-up spot.  The lighting in my apartment is total crap but decided to post the photo anyway.

25593860_10155993790349907_1290289345184835254_n.jpg

• Love 13

The kitten-cat is back to his kitten-cat energy levels. I'm so glad he's feeling better but damn it was nice when he wasn't tearing around the house causing catchief.
And today he almost ran out the front door. Before I moved he would greet me by my door, which was OK because I had a mud-room so if he snuck by he would still be inside. Now my door goes to the outside. If he runs out, he's going to be gone :( I can't put up any sort of barrier, because cat.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm planning on a wild New Year's Eve night with these two party girls. Can you stand it?!? My heart!!!

IMG_20171229_221539-600x800.jpg.de207576a7a7e581e88da43167ce03f7.jpg

It's not often that I actually LOL, but between your caption and the pic, I totally did!

Happy New Year's Eve, all, human, feline, canine, etc.

Edited by NutMeg
Typo's (capital letters too
  • Love 5

My cat needs to get on my stomach/chest/neck whenever & wherever I get horizontal.  The worst is the 10 minutes he takes to find the perfect spot.

Right now he is comfortably perched on me as I tap this out on the phone.  He's nice and warm.

• Love 7

My kitties are getting real tuna tonight for their New Years supper! Then another 2 hour petting while I watch tv. 

May this year be filled with blessings. I wish everyone (2 or 4 legged) a wonderful New Year. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

My New Years Eve date last night and the one whose head and cheeks I kissed at midnight <3

26169266_10156013891944907_7403325449438147836_n.jpg

Precious! I realized earlier that I didn't kiss the girls at midnight. I wasn't watching any NYE programming, so I don't know when it actually turned midnight. I give them kisses daily, so maybe that makes up for it.

• Love 4