Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, shanndee said:

Ba-dum Tish!! She'll be here all week folks! LoL! :D 

Unfortunately, for y'all, she hopes to be here a lot longer than all week, if only to feed the critters & make her fellow posters groan, just a little.  :-D

• Love 2

Wow. Chelsea has absolutely no respect for edges. None whatsoever. I have seen her roll off the couch, the bed, the coffee table, and the kitchen table. This is the first time I have seen her take a header off of the top of her cat post. She was throwing herself around, chasing her tail, when whoosh...she went too far and tumbled to the floor. It gave me, Hubby, and Chelsea a good scare but she landed on her feet (a little unsteady, but effective). We checked her single front leg, everything seems fine.

What are the chances that she has learned a lesson from this fall?

Edited by shanndee
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, shanndee said:

What are the chances that she has learned a lesson from this fall?

Commensurate with your ability to pay for orthopedic surgeries, I'd imagine.  The less money you have, the more expensive the vet bills.  It's the law.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My fatty has to be kept from eating his sisters food.

How do you do this????? Nadji is a tank (like if a bulldog were turned into a cat) and Chandu is older and skinny with a bum rear leg and other health issues - and I don't know how I make food available for Chandu to eat whenever she wants without having it available to Nadji the hog at the same time.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

How do you do this????? Nadji is a tank (like if a bulldog were turned into a cat) and Chandu is older and skinny with a bum rear leg and other health issues - and I don't know how I make food available for Chandu to eat whenever she wants without having it available to Nadji the hog at the same time.

I feel your pain, rgagg.  When the alternative is a premature pet demise, you become the mother of invention.  I juggled a myriad of separate diets, medications, rooms, schedules, poops; you name it, I did it - and, apparently, lost my mind in the process.  It was worth it.  :-)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The only time I've had to keep food separate was with Maddie and Baxter - she liked to take all day to eat her breakfast and all night to eat her dinner, while he inhaled both meals and then went looking for more - and I was very lucky that Maddie was agile as hell while Baxter had an ass made out of lead and thus couldn't jump very high, so I put her food on the dryer and all was well.  Her grazing tendency was so entrenched, there would likely have been no training her to eat each of her meals in a relatively short period of time, which is the easiest solution if it's actually feasible -- separate kitties for feeding time, and then move on with everyone's day/night.

If that oh-so-tidy solution isn't doable, as it so often isn't, the main options are to 1) put the non-pig's food in a place where she/he can access it and the pig can't.  But, again, that has to be something that works.  The height thing worked for me with Maddie and Baxter, and when a friend had a thin grazing cat and a portly food-stealing cat, she put the thin cat's food in the shower/tub with the door open just enough for him to get through (and not wide enough for the pig to get through).  Such arrangements aren't always possible.

A more expensive resort is to 2) get a feeder that can be programmed to only be accessible by a specific cat (it only opens upon detecting either their microchip, or the chip in a tag attached to their collar - you program the feeder accordingly - and closes when the designated cat moves away).  If the cat who's supposed to be eating doesn't move away when the pig sticks her/his head in there, keeping the lid open while both cats eat, though, that would defeat the purpose.  But it's something to try.  This is the one with which I'm familiar, via a friend using them to keep her three cats' food separate.

When none of the above work, it's a litany of, "Get out of your brother/sister's food" and rushing to the bowls to shoo away, I'm afraid, and thus look forward to hearing other success stories.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

As you all know my cats are THE loves of my life. Having a bit of a conundrum. My fatty has to be kept from eating his sisters food. He's good and voice controlled but lately he is paranoid (although this helps his health I worry about his mental well being) and now he is shying about eating. It also means that also on the sly  he might be overcompensating. The good side...since he isn't getting a "good boy" about eating, he is sticking to me like glue. Literally attached at the hip (not that I mind and love him). I want him to feel loved and he is. Changes. It benefits because he needs to lose weight and yet our relationship is changing. He sucks up a lot of my attention. It's good when I have it to give, which is a lot of the time but yet I'm scared to fail him. Owner guilt. 

One of the little old lady cats I serve who had always been chubby suddenly became desperate for food and attention a few months ago. It seemed like all she did when she was awake was eat, try to get at the other cat's food, and follow me around begging for more food and/or attention. And -- this was significant -- pee a lot. Yep. She'd developed diabetes and I'd missed it. Now that she's on insulin her appetite and weight have gone back to normal but I have to give her shots twice a day and make sure she eats regular meals. I wish I'd caught it earlier.

If you can, have your little guy checked out. Some cats go into remission if it's caught and treated early.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

. The good side...since he isn't getting a "good boy" about eating, he is sticking to me like glue. Literally attached at the hip (not that I mind and love him). I want him to feel loved and he is.

Can you get him to play a bit to get a bit more exercise and then reward him with a good boy or even a treat? 

I scoop the cat and dog's food into specific containers each day so that no matter who ends up feeding them, they get the same amount every day (in total).

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Welcome to my pergatory. For instance. I just went into the kitchen to feed them their breakfast. I gave them both the same amount but held back some in the can. After he inhaled his (I was making tea) I turned around and he was already pushing his sister out of her bowl to finish hers. I stated "Bairn, that's no" in a stern voice. He knew what I meant and gave her back her bowl. I have never had to discipline them with anything other than my voice. The small saved amount is for her because I can't always find the time to watch them eat and patrol him. I liked @Bastet'S idea of putting her food up where he can't get to it. I tried this about a week ago and she didn't want to... I also liked the idea of a programmable feeder but the cats are basically twins other than weight. I need to check it out more closely.  I'm lucky that he doesn't go to his box to urinate frequently but am planning to get bloodwork as I have always felt an underlying issue health wise. (Thyroid) 

I think he feels so bad about me yelling at him lately and that is why his head is on my elbow as I try to write this. Y'all need to realize I got him when he was 3 weeks old with failure to thrive. He had to have a lot of encouragement to eat as a kitten and when he did I heaped on the praise. He is still looking for that same praise over 12 years later. 

Good Luck @ratgirlagogo  I understand how you feel and how frustrating this can be. I'm still trying to get this worked out and am going to try some of our fellow posters ideas and suggestions. I hope that one of them works for you too. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CoderLady said:

One of the little old lady cats I serve who had always been chubby suddenly became desperate for food and attention a few months ago. It seemed like all she did when she was awake was eat, try to get at the other cat's food, and follow me around begging for more food and/or attention. And -- this was significant -- pee a lot. Yep. She'd developed diabetes and I'd missed it. Now that she's on insulin her appetite and weight have gone back to normal but I have to give her shots twice a day and make sure she eats regular meals. I wish I'd caught it earlier.

If you can, have your little guy checked out. Some cats go into remission if it's caught and treated early.

I went through the same thing with my Babalu.  It took many, many months of bi-weekly vet visits and yo-yo insulin dosages until he finally stabilized.  Now we do 2 injections a day, 2 thyroid pills a day, and a once a day capsule to keep the kidneys functioning properly.  He even likes his special RX food, every damned day.  He is SUCH a good boy about all of this.  I doubt I'd ever be that tolerant or compliant.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Can you get him to play a bit to get a bit more exercise and then reward him with a good boy or even a treat? 

Yes thank you. I can get him to move more with laser light chasing and the fishing pole feather toy with a bell. He HATES the bell and will go after it until he can stop the noise. Every day I try to build up the time he moves vs sloths. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Some cats go into remission if it's caught and treated early.

It's not a sure thing, but it is possible to put them into remission via a high-protein/almost-no-carb diet even when it's not caught early.  Dr. Lisa Pierson's chart showing the protein, fat, and carb content (plus phosphorus, which those feeding cats with chronic kidney disease need to be aware of) of a wide variety of foods can point you to some options (because there are a number of commercial foods that use better ingredients and are higher in protein/lower in carbs than the prescription formulas, so they're a better choice if your cat will eat them).  Well worth a try, as not being insulin dependent would be easier for both of you.  Good luck!

If you do try a diet change, make sure you test the blood glucose regularly as you're making the transition - the whole idea is to need less and less (and then, ultimately, no) insulin, so if it's working and you keep giving the normal dose of insulin, you may send poor kitty into a dangerous state of hypoglycemia.  So you test before each dose, and reduce the dose as as the blood glucose level decreases.

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I can get him to move more with laser light chasing and the fishing pole feather toy with a bell. He HATES the bell and will go after it until he can stop the noise.

LOL - that's an effective strategy.  I like that.  "Here's a toy you love, so go chase it and get some exercise.  And here's a toy you hate, so go kill it and get some more exercise."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It's not a sure thing, but it is possible to put them into remission via a high-protein/almost-no-carb diet even when it's not caught early.  Dr. Lisa Pierson's chart showing the protein, fat, and carb content (plus phosphorus, which those feeding cats with chronic kidney disease need to be aware of) of a wide variety of foods can point you to some options (because there are a number of commercial foods that use better ingredients and are higher in protein/lower in carbs than the prescription formulas, so they're a better choice if your cat will eat them).  Well worth a try, as not being insulin dependent would be easier for both of you.  Good luck!

If you do try a diet change, make sure you test the blood glucose regularly as you're making the transition - the whole idea is to need less and less (and then, ultimately, no) insulin, so if it's working and you keep giving the normal dose of insulin, you may send poor kitty into a dangerous state of hypoglycemia.  So you test before each dose, and reduce the dose as as the blood glucose level decreases.

LOL - that's an effective strategy.  I like that.  "Here's a toy you love, so go chase it and get some exercise.  And here's a toy you hate, so go kill it and get some more exercise."

Sounds great for those who can do their own blood glucose testing.  I'm not one of them.  My vet asks for 2 techs' assistance to do that - she keeps telling me that my Babalu is FREAKISHLY strong.  She would be correctomundo - I'm just lucky that he's better about getting insulin shots & taking pills - blood draws draw blood, and leave bruises on the hapless victims who don't have 4 deadly paws and a will to kill.  ;-)

• Love 3

LOL at a two-tech team being called in.  I know what you mean about freakishly strong.  He has softened a fair bit over the years, but when Bandit first showed up, his leg muscles were nuts - just him pushing against me to say he was through being held would leave bruises!

My first experience with a diabetic cat was my "nephew," my friend's big orange tabby.  He loathed having his ears touched for any reason, so we didn't even attempt that method, going right for the paw pads.  He pulled his leg back the first time he got poked, but that was about it and it was smooth sailing after that (thankfully, he went into remission via diet, and we did not have to keep doing it).

So when Bailey needed insulin for a time, I was like, "I got this" and came over to show my parents how to do it.  He was an incredibly sweet and easy-going cat - polite, in fact - but, oh my stars, he went berserk when I tried to prick his paw pad.  He thrashed around so much, I absolutely could not hold his paw still for even the second or two needed to touch the test strip to the blood drop, then the drop would go flying or get smudged and I'd have to start over, with the same result.  So I tried the ear, and he just sat there like absolutely nothing was happening to him.

They were polar opposites about it, which I found oddly amusing.  From talking with other owners over the years, it seems the paw pad is preferred by more cats, so I guess Bailey was the oddity.  Thankfully, with his pink ear and white fur, the vein was easy as all get-out to see.  (You're not aiming for the vein, but between the vein and the outer edge of the ear, so you don't need to be able to see it, but it definitely helps when you're starting out and trying to find the right spot.)

• Love 3

My little seven-pound girl is a fighter with amazing strength, too. It took three tries to get her in the carrier for the last vet trip.

Little Mama has snotty/crusty eyes again despite the lysine. I can't sit on her three times a day and give her eyedrops again. She became terrified of me and ran every time I came near her. I'm trying wiping her eyes a few times daily with the antibiotic eyedrops on a cotton pad. She hates that, too, but tolerates it, and will stay where she's laying.

• Love 3

I've had cats off and on for most of my adult life, so I am comfortable with their different personalities and routines. Our female cat is very chill, while the male cat is emotionally needy and temperamental. However, in the last few months my daughter has ended up adopting two dogs. One is now 7 months old, a male German shepherd/boxer mix, and the other is 4 months old, a female Lab mix (possibly all Lab).  And in the last month or so, they have turned into escape artists when in the back  yard. Dug holes under the fence to get into the neighbor's  yard, because there are two dogs over there. Have gotten out into the streets at least half a dozen times in the past month, and taken off running into the woods and so forth close to my house, jumped into the pond, and finally shown back up a street or two away and played "No, I don't want to let you put the leash on me until I make you chase  me down for another 5 minutes." A friend suggested and helped put chicken wire along the bottom of the fence that is shared with the neighbor who also has dogs. They somehow managed to eat a hole through the chicken wire. So, I now have these 16" x 8" x 4" concrete blocks/paving stones around the inside perimeter of my fence to block the dogs from digging under the fence. I need maybe 10 more to finish everything, but my nearest Home Depot is now out of them, presumably because I have bought their entire supply over the last couple of weeks. If they're not restocked in the next couple of days, I will go to another store.  In the meantime, it has now become almost a daily ritual for me to fill up their water bowl with crushed ice, then water, and then watch as the two dogs and one of the cats fight over who gets to eat the most crushed ice. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 5

Those doggies sound like a fuckton of work, @BookWoman56.  Of course, they are worth it all & then some.

My Babalu is not fascinated by ice cubes in his water bowl.  His closest affiliation to ice is the ice wraps I rely on to ease my aching elbows, arms, wrists - THEN he determinedly drapes his body over them, sucking up all the soothing cool.  Bastard.

• Love 3

It's funny to me because the one cat used to be somewhat perplexed if I put regular size ice cubes in the water, and would use her paw to pick them out of the bowl and knock them onto the floor. But now she really likes the crushed ice. And the dogs? Holy fuck, they will come over to the fridge as I'm dispensing the crushed ice and jump up to eat the stray pieces of ice as if they were actual dog treats. 

• Love 7

Little Girl likes to fetch just like Bilgisticat did. One day, she brought me her favorite toy--a knotted Luna bar wrapper because of course she loves something that isn't a real cat toy--and she brought it back. We did that over and over. We play fetch almost daily.

• Love 9

Kook needs to get exercise and some outdoor time no matter what the weather is.  We've been rainy, so muddy the last few days.  As such, I am glad I already own a carpet cleaner. 

And the temps went from being so warm and humid I turned the ac on Sunday night to being in the low 40s last night.  Since he is not a fan of baths and I am not a fan of washing him in cooler weather (getting the big goof into the tub takes considerable effort), I anticipate some mighty battles in the near future.

• Love 4

Every morning this week (and by morning I mean 5fuckingAM) it's been playtime in TRH household. And my bed is their playground. The kitten-cat is one of those that makes chirping announcements every time he moves but even if I could wear earplugs (I can't hear my alarm if I do) he also runs across me to get to the other side of the bed. I wake them both up from their post dinner pre-bedtime naps and play with them to get them to be worn out but nope, this week is all about the playtime.

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Every morning this week (and by morning I mean 5fuckingAM) it's been playtime in TRH household. And my bed is their playground. The kitten-cat is one of those that makes chirping announcements every time he moves but even if I could wear earplugs (I can't hear my alarm if I do) he also runs across me to get to the other side of the bed. I wake them both up from their post dinner pre-bedtime naps and play with them to get them to be worn out but nope, this week is all about the playtime.

That also means exhaustion for you at the busiest time of the year. Best wishes with that. 

• Love 3

We used to have a cat when I was a kid who would literally run across my parents' heads when it was time to feed him breakfast.  If they put him out for the night, he would cling to the screen of their bedroom window and make a horrible cry/screech.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That also means exhaustion for you at the busiest time of the year. Best wishes with that. 

Not for me.  Other than my brief trip back to CA next week I literally have nothing going on. No family, no friends in GA (and even in CA my friends were always busy with their families) or holiday parties (my company doesn't do office parties), it's the most boring, lonely time of year for me.

• Love 1

Since we're talking about rambunctious cats, Luna update for the forum:

She's a little more than a year old now. Topped out at 8-9 pounds, which is just enough to pull down the valances in the kitchen just about as fast as I can re-secure them. She was a feral kitten, and she spent the better part of the first year not particularly understanding that when you're playing with her, that grabbing your extremities with her claws and fake biting you is not super fun for the human.

She's actually been getting less bitey than she used to be, and at least for me, she seems to enjoy being carried around like a queen on my arm.  I sleep with my bedroom door closed, and typically she's not in my room when I close the door. If she is, I get awakened in the 3:30-4:30 time frame to let her out to go get some food and prowl around in the basement.  Regardless of whether she started the night in my room, when I open my door to go start the morning routine at 6:00 AM, she is always right there waiting for me. She quickly comes through the door, blips at me, and starts purring around my ankles. I scoop her up, purring away, and carry her downstairs where we are typically greeted by a tail wagging, ball in mouth, yellow lab who would also like a little loving. I set Luna down on the easy chair and then offer her some garage time. (She likes going in the garage, possible mouse visitors and for sure she likes leaving footprints all over my windshield.)

It's interesting how she trained me.

And as long as I'm talking about her, picture time!

dV7pZRNl.jpg

• Love 16
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Not for me.  Other than my brief trip back to CA next week I literally have nothing going on. No family, no friends in GA (and even in CA my friends were always busy with their families) or holiday parties (my company doesn't do office parties), it's the most boring, lonely time of year for me.

Gee. Sorry to hear that. When I didn't have family or friends around I volunteered. You might also look into that as it's also a good way to get to know good people. 

I have also felt solace on these boards, in a book or binge watching a show that I never seem to have time to get to. 

Bah Humbug on your company for not having any festivities! Boo

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DeLurker said:

We used to have a cat when I was a kid who would literally run across my parents' heads when it was time to feed him breakfast.  If they put him out for the night, he would cling to the screen of their bedroom window and make a horrible cry/screech.

Bilgisticat used to grab pawfuls of my hair and start chewing on it to wake me up.

9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

And as long as I'm talking about her, picture time!

dV7pZRNl.jpg

Hello, beautiful!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6

I introduced the kittens to the Cat Dancer toy today and it was a huge hit. It's an erratically bouncy wire with rolled-up pieces of cardboard on the end. Had to keep the Chihuahua from joining in, because she was getting it wet and I'm not sure the cardboard will hold up. I was going to post a pic of it, but the urls are too long and even an url shortener couldn't shorten it.

• Love 4

Little Mama's eyes are redder and snottier today. Ugh. I put the antibiotic eyedrops in her eyes earlier. I really hate having to do it to her (three times a day!), but a catmom does what a catmom must. I'm not sure how Little Girl isn't getting the crud, but I'm glad she isn't. (Knock wood!)

• Love 4

I know I shouldn't do it for several reasons, among which is that garlic is not good for cats, but today is the sort of day that makes me want to order pizza for dinner just so I can watch Lily carrying a pizza crust around like a jaguar with an antelope carcass.

• Love 7

I have taken to calling Riley "Civil Disobedience Kitty" -- when she realizes that something unjust - e.g. having her claws trimmed - is going to happen to her, she stops fighting and just goes limp.  The time between struggling and going limp is getting pretty short; if she starts meowing protest songs, Mommy will be quite proud.

• Love 9

Well it snowed in Houston and I am a bit north of it.  All prior "snows" here have been flurries with everything melting almost as soon as it touched the ground.  Not this time - I have a snow covered roof, car and front lawn!

I let Kook out back and he was ecstatic!  Took him for a quick walk around the block and he was happily investigating this new strange joy.  He's going to be a very sad pup when the sun comes up.

I'll post pictures later if I can get him standing still!

• Love 8

My kitten-cat needs surgery! I don't know what happened but the big 'ol laceration on his back opened up again last night after being nearly healed. I rushed him to the vet this morning and his sweet doctor said she doesn't know what it is but it needs to be surgically repaired since the alternate solutions aren't working.

Now I get to be a distracted wreck at work until at least 2pm. Oh, and it's snowing!

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My kitten-cat needs surgery! I don't know what happened but the big 'ol laceration on his back opened up again last night after being nearly healed. I rushed him to the vet this morning and his sweet doctor said she doesn't know what it is but it needs to be surgically repaired since the alternate solutions aren't working.

Now I get to be a distracted wreck at work until at least 2pm. Oh, and it's snowing!

Oh my. I'm so sorry TRH kitten needs emergency surgery. I'd certainly have a lot of trouble at work too; worrying about the up coming medical intervention, driving in the snow and having an extra bill when there are a lot of extra expenses due to the holidays.  My cats and I will pray for a speedy recovery so that TRH kitten will be up and running around wound free soon. Hang in there Mama. 

• Love 6

Little Mama has basically given up the fight against eyedrops. Her eyes are starting to look a bit better, so I feel good about it. They were getting very goopy. Poor sweet girl.

She got lots of treats after her eyedrops earlier. She's such a gentle soul. I love her to bits.

• Love 8

$600 later the kitten-cat is fighting the cone of shame while being isolated in my bathroom. The vet was closing early due to a freak snow storm so he has to stay in the bathroom and isolated until 5 or so tonight. I have blankets and boxes for him to curl up in.

He already escaped the cone of shame 4 times. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 5

Baxter was a fucking Houdini with the cone of shame, and I once had to take him back to get stapled up where he'd removed stitches.  Interestingly enough, he quit escaping it after that.  I don't recommend that as a technique, though!

Have you seen him get out of the cone to see how he's doing it (e.g. if it's just too loose or if he's doing some crazy move like Baxter did, where he used a window handle to pry it off for him)?  Sounds like you guys are in for a long day.

• Love 2

He's pawing at it. I think it's too loose so I tried to adjust it but nope. Slippery kittencat is slippery. I did Macgyver an old shirt around him, covering the area and safety pin it. It's kinda in the shape of a harness and he hasn't realized he can walk. He scarfed down a bunch of food and should pass out soon, hopefully. The vet is closed tomorrow too and Sunday so if anything goes sideways I have to take him, in the snow, to the emergency vet. I'm hoping he will be OK.

They also said it looks like he is getting sliced somewhere and suggested i look under the couch and bed to find anything sharp.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

They also said it looks like he is getting sliced somewhere and suggested i look under the couch and bed to find anything sharp.

He has set up an enigma for you while he is sleeping lest you forget that every minute should be spent paying attention to him! 

Gosh I hope you don't have to trek in the snow. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

The folks on my IBD kitties Facebook group call the cone of shame the "Cone of Courage". Ha ha ha!

The kitten cam guy Foster Dad John calls it the "Cone of Awesome". I like both names better then the "Cone of Shame".

• Love 2

He hasn't decided it's time for kitten-cat bedtime and he crawled out of my makeshift wrap and managed to remove a single stitch. He's been rolling around on the carpet and floor, I'm sure it's itchy but he hasn't been licking or scratching at it. The vet is replying via email and she said as long as he's not licking the wound he's OK without the cone.

I go back to CA for two days next weekend and wasn't going to do a pet sitter but now I think I need to, to check on him.

• Love 4

I'm so not a dog person, but she? he? and Alli are pretty cute!

I was soaking in the tub and had my hot chocolate sitting on the side of the tub. I had the foresight to put it in a plastic travel mug with a top. The girls knocked it into the tub twice through the curtain. What fun for everyone. Fortunately, it kind of floated on its bottom and side and I didn't have to drink bathwater. Only a few sprinkles of hot chocolate got in the water. Festive.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 8