Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Strangers

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Oh I've always wanted to go there too, count me in!

Why they haven't scavenged up some radios in all this time is beyond me.

I keep this around for inspiration, I could never afford it...but I can afford a chisel!  http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2012/03/10/flintstones-house/

Yes! They need to vanquish enemies; but take a moment after and ask how did those people get so strong? What can we learn/copy...without the evildoer stuff?

A good thing to know : http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-intercom-or-walkie-talkie-out-of-tw/

• Love 1

You need walls, I agree with Rick on that

But walls didn't matter at the farm, Woodbury, prison or Terminus. They all fell. If you've found a safe haven, there's a solid chance that others will trip over it too and want in. And that's not even considering walkers!

I wish our gang tried to get walkie talkies. It would make so much sense. I was really impressed with the Termites for having a way to communicate to their people at (and beyond) the perimeter of their compound. SMART. Early alert to dangers, easy communication.

Bob's been taken but Carol and Daryl ran off in search of Beth. Our poor idiots are going to think that three of their own have been taken or disappeared. You'd think that after all this, after DALE, they'd institute a fucking buddy system or something. No one goes anywhere alone. EVER.

• Love 8

Bob's been taken but Carol and Daryl ran off in search of Beth. Our poor idiots are going to think that three of their own have been taken or disappeared. You'd think that after all this, after DALE, they'd institute a fucking buddy system or something. No one goes anywhere alone. EVER.

This is one of the things that drives me nuts about most shows, but especially this one.  #1 our people are forever wandering around without anybody knowing where they, and #2, it's the ZA for chrissakes.  I wouldn't even go take a pee without everybody standing there with me!!!

Did Bob even have a gun with him and he went for his nightly cry?  (Not that it did him any good.)(Dale had his and we saw how much that helped.)

And, the other thing: Yes, now that Daryl and Carol have vamoosed, all the others will think it was big bad Gareth.  more to build his legend.  "Gareth took out DARYL!!!"

• Love 3

what would have happened if another Walker (or two) had stepped from the woods when Carol was on the ground with the one she had stabbed (on the railroad tracks leading to Terminus).  And the Walker was in arm's reach of Tyrese and, hence, Judith.  What would Tyrese have done then?  Yell for Carol?

Yeah, what I was saying. Send little Carol to kill the zombie and he's like, "I'll stand and watch you do it, because I don't really want to have to hurt it." I'd rather leave Judith just with Carl or Bob - anyone but Big Stoop.

Speaking of Bob, even if he wasn't bitten in the zombie swimming pool, he was under the water and probably swallowed some which, I"m sure, would be enough to kill anyone. I wonder how everyone else liked the seething bacterial waters up their urethras. Sorry, but I coudln't help but think of what kind of infections would come about from splashing around THAT kiddie pool. I've also never been able to stop wondering what kind of raging case of tapeworms Daryl has from eating a raw squirrell.

• Love 11

Speaking of Bob, even if he wasn't bitten in the zombie swimming pool, he was under the water and probably swallowed some which, I"m sure, would be enough to kill anyone. I wonder how everyone else liked the seething bacterial waters up their urethras. Sorry, but I coudln't help but think of what kind of infections would come about from splashing around THAT kiddie pool. I've also never been able to stop wondering what kind of raging case of tapeworms Daryl has from eating a raw squirrell.

I kept thinking that too. When I was watching the scene I kept paying attention to whether or not they got any water on their mouths and kept thinking that when they returned to the church they should totally be sick.  Just ewww.

I also hope they at least boil that water that Carol and Daryl were getting from the creek. Not as good as filtering, but it would be something at least.

• Love 4

I kept thinking that too. When I was watching the scene I kept paying attention to whether or not they got any water on their mouths and kept thinking that when they returned to the church they should totally be sick.  Just ewww.

I also hope they at least boil that water that Carol and Daryl were getting from the creek. Not as good as filtering, but it would be something at least.

My people! Long before the Zombie Soup scene, I was fretting over them putting that creek water in canteens. I actually yelled "giardia!" at the TV.

• Love 10

I actually yelled "giardia!" at the TV.

And probably worse when you think of how many waterlogged zombies are in the water everywhere. This is why I got so frustrated when Hershel sent people to the veterinarian to get specific medications for the epidemic. Why on earth didn't they just sweep every bottle and box of whatever was left into their bags instead reading the labels,  picking and choosing only what Hershel told them to get? That made no sense to me.

I wouldn't want to live in a world with no meds for UTIs!

Could have gotten the tapeworm pills for Daryl too!;)

• Love 8

This is precisely the reason why, after 4 seasons of ZA, the most fitting nickname for Rick's team is and always will be Camp Dinner Bell.

• Love 8

This is precisely the reason why, after 4 seasons of ZA, the most fitting nickname for Rick's team is and always will be Camp Dinner Bell.

Glad you clarified that. I came into this forum LATE late, and thought y'all were referring to them as the Charlie Daniels Band. :)

(Hey, he lives just a couple of towns over....)

• Love 6

Glad you clarified that. I came into this forum LATE late, and thought y'all were referring to them as the Charlie Daniels Band. :)

(Hey, he lives just a couple of towns over....)

LOL!

I prefer a nickname that I think Doom came up with? (Someone help me with the credit where due)

Rick's Roving Band of Yahoos.  Although CDB is easier to type!!

• Love 3

Iodine. Clorine tablets. Some stuff lasts very long on the shelf.

I'd try to make a run to a health food store, or decent grocery store, for things like coconut oil (it helps to get rid of fevers, for one thing, gives you energy, too).

• Love 2

I'd try to make a run to a health food store, or decent grocery store, for things like coconut oil (it helps to get rid of fevers, for one thing, gives you energy, too).

I have some right now!!

Yes, another reason for these people to have checked out a library or bookstore and learn some natural cures.

• Love 3

Yes, another reason for these people to have checked out a library or bookstore and learn some natural cures.

Ugh, I know this has been brought up before but it is sooo annoying that this hasn't been done.  Knowledge is important to survival people!!!  Hole up in an old library or something.  

If they had coconut oil their hair would look great too.

• Love 3

If they did rely on natural cures and local berries and mushrooms and stuff, it would add some nice tension to the D.C. conflict. There would be a real learning curve that they'd have to consider before moving to a different agricultural zone. As it is, it doesn't seem to matter that they're in Georgia and not Illinois or Arizona or D.C.

• Love 4

But walls didn't matter at the farm, Woodbury, prison or Terminus. They all fell. If you've found a safe haven, there's a solid chance that others will trip over it too and want in. And that's not even considering walkers!

I wish our gang tried to get walkie talkies. It would make so much sense. I was really impressed with the Termites for having a way to communicate to their people at (and beyond) the perimeter of their compound. SMART. Early alert to dangers, easy communication.

That rarely happens in real life, much less on a show that needs people to behave erratically to move the plot forward.

I don't really know what a buddy system would have done in this instance. Bob likely went off alone to kill himself. Carol was likely leaving and trying to do so without anyone seeing her. Daryl didn't go back to tell anyone because he was in a blind panic about Beth. If Daryl, the guy who places the most importance on togetherness, doesn't want to take these steps, then I'm not surprised if the others don't either. 

I saw that Breaking Bad man blathering on Talking Dead about infections and so on, but I just don't want to see a show where people die of staph infections. A few lines about boiling water would make sense, but it's tough for me to care about that either. It may be realistic, but I don't have that much need for realism. If the show was that realistic, everyone would either be dead, or most of their conversations would revolve around things like what to grow and who is supposed to be on watch duty at what time. And people would say it's boring, who cares.

• Love 6

I would personally get my group in search of a boat, find a map, navigate to an island with a fresh water resource, kill off the walkers on that island, and set up camp there. You could fish, grow food, and be pretty isolated from people such as the Termites.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'd have killed myself on day one of the outbreak.

• Love 12

I don't really know what a buddy system would have done in this instance.

My notion of the buddy system is that no one could leave the main group by themselves. So, someone would have called out "Hey Bob, where're you off to?" "Hey Carol! I see you shufflin' towards the door. Who are you taking with you?" etc. Basically, Big Brother the shit out of the group. ;)

• Love 9

If the show was that realistic, everyone would either be dead, or most of their conversations would revolve around things like what to grow and who is supposed to be on watch duty at what time.

Ha, well this is definitely true and why we get cannibals and such.  I don't mind the people making dumb decisions so much because it happens every day and there's no guarantee that when the ZA happens, only the intelligent would survive. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing them figuring out how to do things sometimes.

I need to care what happens to the show characters and I do.  I don't mind different things happening, like the prison illness but wish the show had given us an honest character talk about how to deal with the infected.  The show works best IMO when people we care about are making difficult decisions.  It does need some lighter moments, both Reedus & Lincoln can handle a throw away goofy line, Danai too.  

• Love 1

My notion of the buddy system is that no one could leave the main group by themselves. So, someone would have called out "Hey Bob, where're you off to?" "Hey Carol! I see you shufflin' towards the door. Who are you taking with you?" etc. Basically, Big Brother the shit out of the group. ;)

You're right. I think I was more dismissive than I meant to be. I think that's not a bad idea (although I think at this point Carol might think people are checking up on her/are afraid of her if they say that). I guess the show might not do it that much because it would start to seem like padding.

I feel like the group, while still not the brightest (see: leaving Termites alive), has evolved a great deal from the days when that idiot Dale wandered the fields at night to lecture the cows about their life choices. It's just that they're all such strong individuals now that I tend to wonder how they would work with that type of checking-in system...well, that, and I can put some blame on the general tendency toward idiot plotting.

• Love 3

I saw that Breaking Bad man blathering on Talking Dead about infections and so on, but I just don't want to see a show where people die of staph infections. A few lines about boiling water would make sense, but it's tough for me to care about that either. It may be realistic, but I don't have that much need for realism. If the show was that realistic, everyone would either be dead, or most of their conversations would revolve around things like what to grow and who is supposed to be on watch duty at what time. And people would say it's boring, who cares.

And it's not like illness and infections have been ignored.  Off the top of my head:  T-Dog's arm, Carl's shotgun wound, Daryl impaling himself on a bow and scalp wound, Hershel's amputation, Lori's death by C-section, the prison pig/human flu, Tyreese's arm, Rick's body, Tara's ankle.  I do think they try.  The clothes are always dirty, their skin usually looks shiny and gritty, their hair is usually damp if not oily.  I don't want to see unibrows, green teeth, hairy female armpits, etc.  I saw Hatfields and McCoys, and the teeth alone almost made me change the channel.

• Love 2

Well, actually, none of the people mentioned above actually did suffer from infected wounds.

I remember back on TWOP there was discussion of things the virus does besides turn you into a zombie.

You know, things like preventing body hair growth on women.

One of them was: suppression of other diseases. It makes sense. The only time we've seen people actually suffering from disease, it was a new disease! Really deadly strains of flu tend to die out quickly, because there's only so much mileage you can expect to get out your host population before both they and you are extinct. However, the old flu strains, which were quite well adapted to using us as a sustainable resource, are not Z-resiliant. The drowning-in-blood flu was Z-resiliant, which is why it was the one that moved into the newly vacant ecological niche.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 6

I remember back on TWOP there was discussion of things the virus does besides turn you into a zombie.

That explains why the lawns don't need to be mowed.   :-)

• Love 5

That explains why the lawns don't need to be mowed. :-)

And why no one gets poison ivy.

Y'all are so my people! Over the seasons I've given serious thought as to where I'd go during the ZA. I've considered the pros and cons of holing up in a store and whether Walmart or Sam's club would be the better option (Sam's Club). Then I found myself in EarthFare and thought "Hey, even during the ZA nobody's going to want to live on amaranth crackers and carob chip cookies. I probably wouldn't have to defend this place very often." I've also given the island thing some thought and decided that it would be too vulnerable to hurricanes now without an early warning system. I ultimately decided I'd head for the mountains. Lots of ravines for protection and the walkers couldn't get up much speed heading uphill or through the snow. I've also convinced myself that the walkers would go dormant once the temperature dropped below freezing.

The point is, I seem to have done more thinking about what to do in case of a ZA than ANY of these characters.

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 11
I just don't want to see a show where people die of staph infections. A few lines about boiling water would make sense, but it's tough for me to care about that either. It may be realistic, but I don't have that much need for realism. If the show was that realistic, everyone would either be dead, or most of their conversations would revolve around things like what to grow and who is supposed to be on watch duty at what time.

My husband, who as I've already said spent a fair amount of time wandering the country and living outdoors in his younger years, recently felt obligated to go off on a whole tangent about how because none of these people appear to have extra clean socks or can ever leave their shoes off to thoroughly air and dry out, they should all have raging and debilitating cases of athlete's foot that would likely seriously hamper their ability to keep walking.  And staph infections.  And very likely many of them should be weakened from dysentery from poor diet and questionable water.  I told him I like realism as much as the next person but I'm really okay with not seeing all of that.

• Love 11

I don't want to see unibrows, green teeth, hairy female armpits, etc.

Funny, but on rewatch I was thinking just that, about how all the females in the group somehow find the time - no matter how the dire the situation -  and wherewithal to keep their armpits perfectly clean shaven.

I think this has to do with North American sensibiilities. We can watch decapitations and other unspeakable violence and gore but a glimpse of a woman's hairy armpit just might send us screaming from the room. Not a criticism but just a bemused observation.

• Love 12

Besides trimming the lawn, I wonder if this has anything to do with why Glenn hasn't been able to grow a beard in 3 years?

• Love 4

I've also given the island thing some thought and decided that it would be too vulnerable to hurricanes now without an early warning system.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a tropical island. Head north. There are islands in the Great Lakes you could live on. I live in Toledo, Ohio, right near Maumee Bay on Lake Erie. Yes, it's a cespool. But fifty minutes away is the Ambassador Bridge into Canada. 30km from that, you are on the Lake Erie coast, and the water is no longer so gross. It's actually blue. There are islands all over. 35,000 in the Great Lakes, which is the greatest fresh water resource at your fingertips. Just bring warm clothes.

• Love 5

Funny, but on rewatch I was thinking just that, about how all the females in the group somehow find the time - no matter how the dire the situation -  and wherewithal to keep their armpits perfectly clean shaven.

I think this has to do with North American sensibiilities. We can watch decapitations and other unspeakable violence and gore but a glimpse of a woman's hairy armpit just might send us screaming from the room. Not a criticism but just a bemused observation.

Thanks to my Father's Native American DNA I only have shave like twice a year.  Perhaps they are all part Native American? ;)

• Love 4

Just bring warm clothes and a taste for yummy lamprey eel!  http://i.ytimg.com/v...xresdefault.jpg

On the other hand, if you place a lamprey carefully it could suck those tapeworm/giardia right outta ya!

Lampreys - NOOOOO! Now I'm running screaming from the room.

• Love 2

Well, actually, none of the people mentioned above actually did suffer from infected wounds.

T-Dog's wound was infected, though. The veins in that arm were discolored and what we could see of the wound looked inflamed. T-Dog was running a fever, so he and Dale searched the vehicles around the Winnebago in case earlier searches had overlooked antibiotics. All they found was acetaminophen...well, that, pink water, a guitar, and cigarettes. When the group came back from searching for Sophia, Daryl offered antibiotics (doxycycline?) from Merle's stash.

Tyreese's wound might have become infected, but Carol treated it with tree sap.

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 5

I wonder if we will ever see a winter.  It doesn't snow very often here, but it definitely drops beneath freezing for a couple of months.  I wonder if that's something Kirkman ever addressed in the comics.  I'm assuming, since most of their filming is outdoors, it's just too rough on the cast and crew.  They definitely need a time jump soon.  A year and a half ago, Carl didn't even know about the birds and bees.  Soon, he'll be making a move on Beth, and possibly grow taller than everyone.

• Love 1

A year and a half ago, Carl didn't even know about the birds and bees.  Soon, he'll be making a move on Beth, and possibly grow taller than everyone.

Hell, if some of these male characters don't stop cleaning their guns and give these women some attention, Carl can have a damn harem by December.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

What is the time between shooting the end of last season and the beginning of this season? Because it's quite disturbing that Carl was a kid going into the box car and now Rick is talking to some grown dude almost his height. And on one shot, Carl's head looked so wide, it reminded me of Stewie from Family Guy. 

• Love 5

End of last season's shoot was November 22 or 23rd, and they started up again this past May. I read somewhere that they filmed the finale & the premier at the same time for continuity, at least the boxcar scenes.

• Love 3

I wouldn't mess with a Great lakes island. First of all, they'd already be full of rich boating club members, who may or may not have become zombies, but either way are not going to peacefully welcome you into their haven.

Secondly, those lakes freeze. 

One reason that state-to-state population counts of wolves vary so much during the winter is that they cut right across lake corners wandering from one state into another. And Zs don't even have any self-preservation. So if the only barrier is occasional patches of thin ice, every Z that falls through and is hanging onto the thicker stuff ahead provides a stepping stone for the next one behind it.

The lakes would be colder during the winter than they are now, too. I think a lot of global warming "science" is bullshit, but as far as the Great Lakes go.. of course they'd be colder. There's no more electrical plants using them as a coolant system.

Now, granted, a huge sea of ice isn't that hard to defend. You could spot the zeds a mile away, move in closer,and kill them with slingshots loaded with icicles.

But during the summer, you've got a whole 'nother problem in most of the Great lakes region. Zombienados.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

I think the only one that really freezes is Lake Erie because it is the shallowest but it hasn't frozen the way it used to, say back in the early 80s when I was a kid. It's pretty much open water the whole year round but shallow bits along the shore would be frozen, yes. I don't think Lake Superior ever freezes, too deep.

• Love 2
Exactly the way I see it. And what do people eat while waiting many weeks or months to harvest crops? That is if they even have crops, barring floods, hail storms, droughts, blights or zombie herds? If the crops do get harvested, someone needs the knowledge, equipment and the means to can and jar food to last the whole winter as well and the proper conditions to store things like potatoes and squash, etc.

If they have trouble with the crops then they can go hunt for game.  Apparently, there are deer around there, and squirrels and probably some other critters to eat. Probably some fruit trees, berries, and Carol could have told them about the pecans. :) I still say there's no reason to eat humans.  Heck, there are people in this world who have to forage for food every day.  Granted, they don't have to deal with zombies but, the point is, they wake up every morning now knowing when or what they'll eat that day.   

• Love 1

People who forage for food now have the know-how to do it and likely live in environments where they know where their food sources are and what's safe to eat.  Depending on what season they're in, there may not be much of anything on the trees or bushes or it may not be ripe, which if it's not could make them very sick.

We know Daryl knows how to hunt and that Rick knows how to trap rabbits.  But those aren't skills everybody has.  If you want the meat intact and useable it's more than just aiming and blasting away.  And then if you don't cook and eat it all at once you have do something with it or it'll go bad pretty quickly.  I would have serious trouble managing this and I'm betting that most of the people we've seen probably would as well.  Plus, if there are a lot of people around the wildlife likely won't be and we've seen that the walkers are eating their share of the animal life as well.

None of this condones or excuses eating people.  But there's a certain reality at work here that most modern people would have a very difficult time feeding themselves once the grocery stores and canned goods are gone.  Most of us simply don't have that kind of pioneer knowledge anymore and the learning curve is steep.  Hunger can be a really powerful motivator.

• Love 4

they wake up every morning now knowing when or what they'll eat that day.

Yes, but dropping dead from slow starvation - at least on this continent - isn't likely. Our group has no food banks, welfare cheques, soup kitchens, churches or shelters to fall back on. How many squirrels and rabbits would have to be caught every day to make just one decent meal for all those people? A squirrel weighs about 1 1/2lbs and a grown cottontail maybe 3lbs. and that's not much of a meal for even one or two people. And then tomorrow it starts all over again, only they might catch nothing at all and that could go on for days or longer. One thing that surprises me is that we haven't seen any wild turkeys, since I'm pretty sure there's a lot of those in Georgia(?) Maybe the zombies got them all.

The only way to survive by hunting in this situation would be to capture, domesticate and breed wild animals like turkeys and rabbits and even if that were doable and they didn't starve while waiting for the animals to reproduce, our group can't stay in one place long enough to see the fruits of their labours as we saw with the poor piggies.

Cannabalism is truly abhorrent and one of the biggest taboos for civililzed people, but I can't judge and say what I would or wouldn't do if I were facing starvation.

• Love 2
Cannabalism is truly abhorrent and one of the biggest taboos for civililzed people, but I can't judge and say what I would or wouldn't do if I were facing starvation.

Eat dirt.   

Edited by Ohwell

The only time I've been able to hand-wave cannibalism was in the times where the cannibalized were already dead. Like the soccer players whose plane crashed in the Andes Mountains. Since we saw them eating Bob while he was still alive, and killing in order to eat, I can't condone that. I would starve or eat my shoes before I resorted to that. Too bad they're not eating the brains- then there's a chance they'd get kuru.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 5

The only time I've been able to hand-wave cannibalism was in the times where the cannibalized were already dead. Like the soccer players whose plane crashed in the Andes Mountains. Since we saw them eating Bob while he was still alive, and killing in order to eat, I can't condone that. I would starve or eat my shoes before I resorted to that. Too bad they're not eating the brains- then there's a chance they'd get kuru.

I see it the same way, yeah. Plus, I don't even think the Terminus people eat people as a last resort, I doubt they were/are even trying to find other ways of surviving. It's about them being nuts and enjoying eating people. They became hunters because in their minds it's either that or being the hunted, and they have grown used to it. Maybe they even crave human meat now. They're walkers now too, even if they can still speak and such.

• Love 3

Like the soccer players whose plane crashed in the Andes Mountains.

Yes, of course, and even then there apparently were a few people who preferred to die rather than eat (already dead) human flesh. Having never been in that situation, I can't say what I would do.

Eat dirt.

Easy to say if, like me, you've known only the kind of hunger that comes from missing lunch, but hardly helpful advice to someone who is wasting away from starvation. But of course the type of reluctant, last-resort cannibilism that occured in the Andes has nothing to do with sadistic lunatics like the Termites who eat parts of living people and relish doing so. With them, it seems as though even were other food available they would still choose to be cannibals.

• Love 4

I'm in the middle of 're watching and something is bugging me. When part of the gang goes into the church to make sure it is clear, Carol is checking out the desk where Father Gabriel is rewriting the bible and there is a freaking telephone sitting right there. What does he need a phone for? Who is calling him? It is taking up room that he clearly needs, so why is it there? Something is up. Things that make me go hmmm.

I think I can understand why someone would keep a phone nearby, particularly Gabriel.  He was, presumably, the hub of his community; he would be accustomed to people calling him and there are probably a lot of people with his phone number, so since he is in a sort of denial (he hasn't learned to defend himself against Walkers and is afraid to engage) he's likely hoping one day that phone will ring and he'll be rescued or given hope.  Or maybe he just uses it as a paperweight!

• Love 2