Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Sara

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

The episode was kinda off to me. The pacing was a lot better for sure. It had some nice moments, but it didn't really grab me.

KC had a couple nice acting moments (the quiet ones), but I just don't care. The Foundry felt off with her there. I think it was the way she was directing everyone. Just don't. Common sense continues to be rare for her. I hate that she didn't tell her father. She has no right to keep that from him. I never felt a connection between her and Sara, so it was hard to feel anything. I felt more for Felicity and Oliver than her.

I liked the Roy and Felicity interaction. I liked that he showed her the letter. Their friendship is good, but I need Diggle and Felicity interaction. Two episodes in and nothing?

Oliver and Diggle were fantastic. Diggle is still made of win.

SA was fantastic. He continues to impress me. I liked the fight with Felicity. Was it mean of Felicity to say he doesn't have any feelings? Absolutely. But it was normal human reaction. And she recognized it was wrong right away. Her scenes with Ray were great. I'm more intrigued by their storyline then I was last episode. I thought she was great in that moment by the elevator. So much respect for her.

I don't want a season full of awkward Oliver and Felicity reactions. I don't want a season of Oliver and Laurel paired off in revenge. I want Team Arrow back. 

• Love 11

Exactly. Loathe her.

Thirded. Somehow, I think everyone else from felicity to Roy was more upset about Saras death than her own sister. Laurel just got excited about going after bad guys. Fuck you laurel!!

Call me crazy, but I may end up actually enjoying BRouth in this! Who knew? Although he is being a creepy stalker with felicity for sure.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm feeling blah about this episode. I don't like stalker Ray. I don't like that Diggle named his child Sara because I never once got the impression they were remotely close for that to have any emotional significance.

The Olicity scenes were heartbreaking but this angst is so contrived I nearly lost a contact lens in the back of my head from eye rolling so hard. I mean Oliver pretty much admitted to Diggle that he wanted what Felicity wanted (to not die in his crusade or whatever) but he kinda told the wrong person. For two people who have always been completely honest with each other this felt nothing short of ridiculous. 

KC wasn't too bad in a couple of her scenes but on the whole I just don't get anything from her. I don't care. They killed Sara to make her relevant and that's all I can focus on. 

I liked the Roy/Felicity interaction but that was pretty much it. 

Tommy was the best part and even that wasn't enough.

I honestly don't know how this can be seen as the best episode they've ever done OR a love letter to Sara. Now they're just talking out of their asses.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4

I don't have any concern with Oliver/Laurel paired off in revenge he made it really REALLY clear he's not supporting her in that. I think they will be in their own spheres working toward the same goal, but Oliver will still be doing mostly Arrow driving non Sara vengeance work. 

I just didn't care. I was bored out of my mind watching Laurel's scenes. I didn't buy that she was sad her sister died, I didn't buy that she could carry her down to the Arrow Cave, I didn't buy that she wouldn't call Oliver for help, I didn't buy that I should understand why Laurel not telling her father (as a parent I can't even begin to describe how mad I would be at my child if they denied me the chance to say goodbye to my other child. I can't even put that into words), I didn't buy it buy any of it.

The scene with Oliver in Verdant was fine, but like you, I just don't care about Laurel or anything she does. I don't care about her on a moat, on a boat, on a float, whatever. 

And how much do you want to bet that when Quentin finds out about Sara, he'll pat Laurel on the head and tell her how hard it must have been for her to keep it a secret? And then he'll tell her how much he respects her because she's a warrior. LMAO.

• Love 10

I was shocked that Oliver was so brutal with the guy in the warehouse. And then I saw Laurel with the guy in the hospital bed, and said "snap".  Laurel makes Oliver more vicious.

Also what was that crap with her knowing where they kept the guns and shit at. Has she been do her annoying unwanted snooping around the Arrow cave. Then she is going to go for revenge with a trained killer with an unloaded weapon, yeah they made her stupid enough not to check the magazine shit they might as well let her have kept the weapon with the safety on and she continuously squeezed the trigger to get her revenge. Not to mention that she would have killed the wrong damn purpose. Can they write this woman any more ignorant at this point.

I kept watching and saying so Sara died for this. 

And now I have this vision of Laurel prowling through the lair during those five months, opening drawers, asking question and storing it all away for future use.

Yeah, Sara died for this.  What a waste.

The Olicity scenes were heartbreaking but this angst is so contrived I nearly lost a contact lens in the back of my head from eye rolling so hard. I mean Oliver pretty much admitted to Diggle that he wanted what Feliicty wanted (to not die in his crusade or whatever) but he kinda told the wrong person. For two people who have always been completely honest with each other this felt nothing short of ridiculous.

Yes to the eye-rolling but I understand why Oliver said it to Diggle.  He's not ready to say it to Felicity (3x22?) but at least he's thinking about what he wants from life, and Diggle is the rock that grounds him.

• Love 1

And then he'll tell her how much he respects her because she's a warrior. LMAO

A friend of mine that watched (I skipped) said Felicity called Sara a warrior in the episode. When she told me that I started LOL no wonder KC kept using it in interviews.

• Love 3

This epi is making me wonder if my love for the show is strong enough to overcome my loathing for LL.

There was so much good stuff tonight:

SA was fantastic, he killed it

Ass kicking Thea

Roy and Felicity's interactions

Tommy!

Permanent MVP Diggle

And then there was LL. Sigh.

Someone upthread mentioned the alcoholism shout-out. It was still misplaced. Unless a non-working, boarded-up, falling-apart-in-five-months'-time bar/dance club still has even the whiff of alcohol drifting around? Verdant is one bar that Laurel should have no problem with.  If it was under Thea or Ollie's management, I could buy that it would be hard to be around, addiction-wise. During her addiction, though, she was rarely shown at Verdant getting her drink on.

So while I applauded the nod to her past, it was deployed badly.

I hope that Oliver/Arrow tells Quentin, in the field. That, at the news, Quentin gets angry and does not act like old school Aunt May and seem like he's about to keel over from either grief or anger.  That he has a strong emotional reaction, maybe falters a step or two, but is just Sad Quentin. 

Nice note: Laurel's smart pantsuit was nice and I did like the tangerine colored blouse she wore with it.

• Love 2

So the only reason they are hiding Sara's death is so that THAT can become a plot device that'll bite them in the ass sometime in the future, right? Ugh. Poor Quentin.

Seriously, that was so wrong. Don't even get me started on how stupid it was that laurel hauled her to the cave.

I live tommy and almost thought he was back for the present until I realized I just zoned out for a minute. Too bad.

I would have like dig naming the kid Sara more if it had been directed mostly at Oliver and not laurel.

I agree. Oliver has been through so much more than she can even imagine. Hell, he's told her some of it. That was uncalled for and untrue to accuse him of not feeling anything, and I'm glad she realized it the second it left her mouth.

I think it illustrates just how shaken Felicity was by Sara's death. She's not a mean person, in fact she's very sweet. And that's something she wouldn't have said under normal circumstances. She did apologize right away, as soon as it came out.

• Love 5

Ready for the "Who Killed Sara" mystery to be over already.  I don't care and I'm not sure how that storyline can be sustained for half a season.  It should be a three episode arc at best.

+1. I'm paralyzed with not caring very much.

• Love 6

Also, I'm glad they had Diggle mention that he was coming back to the team to find Sara's killer, because I had not a goddamn clue that he left it since Oliver and Diggle's conversation last week was about him not going into the field anymore, not not going into the foundry anymore.

SHOW, I HAVE LOVED YOU SO HARD FOR SO LONG, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME

• Love 6

So the only reason they are hiding Sara's death is so that THAT can become a plot device that'll bite them in the ass sometime in the future, right? Ugh. Poor Quentin.

Yeah, if anything, when he finds out (and, you know it will happen), that is more then likely to cause his heart problems to flair up, then finding out now.  It's just ridiculous and low of Laurel.  And, I forgot there was that scene where Ollie told her to tell him, so disregard my earlier comment that blamed all of them.  And, really: unless Laurel tells them she's still keeping it from them, what is going to stop Arrow Ollie from accidentally letting that slip?

Speaking of which, if Quentin really can tell that Arrow Ollie was upset, then I really can't believe he doesn't know Ollie is Arrow now.  Yes, he has a mask, but Quentin is too close to not be able to recognize Ollie.

Yeah, if anything, when he finds out (and, you know it will happen), that is more then likely to cause his heart problems to flair up, then finding out now.  It's just ridiculous and low of Laurel.  And, I forgot there was that scene where Ollie told her to tell him, so disregard my earlier comment that blamed all of them.  And, really: unless Laurel tells them she's still keeping it from them, what is going to stop Arrow Ollie from accidentally letting that slip?

Speaking of which, if Quentin really can tell that Arrow Ollie was upset, then I really can't believe he doesn't know Ollie is Arrow now.  Yes, he has a mask, but Quentin is too close to not be able to recognize Ollie.

He's either going to have a heart attack or he's going to relapse. Or he's going to die, I'm too afraid to get invested anymore.

Felicity was put though the emotional ringer by Oliver and with Sara dying, I don't blame her for snapping at Oliver at all. I'm glad she acknowledged it was mean right after though. 

Yeah, I don't have a problem with her snapping. I do have a problem with neither one of them taking a minute for each other - that was really OOC for both of them, IMO.

• Love 4

Also, I'm glad they had Diggle mention that he was coming back to the team to find Sara's killer, because I had not a goddamn clue that he left it since Oliver and Diggle's conversation last week was about him not going into the field anymore, not not going into the foundry anymore.

SHOW, I HAVE LOVED YOU SO HARD FOR SO LONG, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME

Right?!

I love this show but man tptb are making it tough.

Tonight's episode is one that I'll never watch again, one that left me disappointed because there was so much that didn't ring true for me.

Edited by bluemapleleaf
  • Love 3

Felicity was put though the emotional ringer by Oliver and with Sara dying, I don't blame her for snapping at Oliver at all. I'm glad she acknowledged it was mean right after though. 

I couldn't blame Felicity for snapping either.  Oliver had a tendency to really ride her when he's angry or moody and I'm amazed that she hasn't snapped and stabbed him with one of his arrows when he gets like that.

• Love 7

Lmaooooooooooo I just saw this and now I just can't stop thinking "Are you freaking kidding me?!" 

tumblr_ndilydeEfE1qzds5mo1_500.png

Love letter? Meh. More like a form letter.

Dear [insert Name]:

Sorry you're dead.

Regards,

The Writers

• Love 9

I just keep thinking... How much better would this episode have been if Laurel was the one to have died? 

Answer: 500x better. 

Why? You could've had the entire team support Sara and Oliver, Quentin would be in the know (because Sara would've told him) and probably would've joined the crusade on who killed Laurel, still would've gotten angsty Oliver except this time he could reflect on how terrible he was to Laurel and become a better man from it...

Ugh. 

tumblr_inline_ndimxjivd51qcrnv9.jpg

tumblr_inline_ndin2zg0tK1qcrnv9.jpg

tumblr_inline_ndin6qVvnw1qcrnv9.jpg

tumblr_inline_ndinf8075N1qcrnv9.jpg

• Love 22

"I don't want to die down here". Then don't! I don't really want to watch another 21 episodes of Oliver moping because he "can't" be Oliver Queen and The Arrow at the same time. WTF! BTW!

There is nothing which irks me more than someone who has a desire/goal and doesn't have the perseverance/work ethic/motivation to change or pursue. "It is what it is" is nothing more than a piss poor excuse to give up without even trying. Get off your ass, Oliver Queen! If you don't want to die down there then march your pathetic ass on out of there. 

• Love 4

This season feels so disjointed. I think it's sad because I was so excited about it.

Tommy! Come back!

Ray continues to be one of the few bright spots on the show.

EBR killed it tonight. She made me cry.

SA was really good too.

Olicity feels so weird but I guess that's normal considering the events of last week. I just want my sweet Olicity back!

Diggle/Oliver were great. I need more Diggle/Felicity!

Ray/Felicity is a nice development. You can tell they are friends irl.

Det. Lance is going to kill me when he finds out about Sara's death.

I want to see more of Komodo. I liked the little glimpse we saw of the actor.

Oh Laurel. I love KC but idk about Laurel. She makes it so hard sometimes.

I hate that this episode feature 2 characters that were fridged for Laurel's journey. I wish we could get them back.

• Love 2

Right?!

I love this show but man tptb are making it tough.

Tonight's episode is one that I'll never watch again, one that left me disappointed because there was so much that didn't ring true for me.

Yeah, I was expecting to be moved by it, but I really wasn't. For an episode that was supposed to be (and should've been) emotional, it packed next to no emotional punch at all, with the exception of Oliver telling Diggle that he didn't want to die in the foundry - I loved that, and I loved SA's acting in that scene.

• Love 3

The only moments I was moved by was at the end with Oliver and Diggle and when Felicity tried not to break down at the elevator. There is nothing harder then being in public and feeling the death of a loved one. All you want to do is get out of there as fast as you can and if anyone tries to show kindness it just gets worse. I felt it was EBR's best scene.

• Love 8

I hate that this episode feature 2 characters that were fridged for Laurel's journey. I wish we could get them back.

Literally... they literally put Sara in a fridge. 

Thanks for the symbolism show.

• Love 23

I'm watching right now and as been said by many - Sara died for this? I, too, am mostly feeling indifferent. I don't want Laurel around and the sight of her irritates me. The stunts are still excellent, Tommy!, Diggle makes everything better, I didn't hate Ray, and Felicity's just an adorable puppy I want to hug and cheer up. But my excitement for the rest of the season plummeted after last week. Supernatural took 9 years to finally beat me into apathy. Arrow may have done that in 1 episode. 

• Love 7

I remember saying at the beginning of the summer that Laurel becoming Black Canary threatens three things: Sara, Olicity and Team Arrow. I think this one episode proved that point.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 21

I remember saying at the beginning of the summer that Laurel becoming Black Canary threatens three things: Sara, Olicity and Team Arrow. I think this one episode proved that point.

I'm afraid you are right. If this is a way for Lauriver to be endgame I am out. They already killed Sara and shoehorned Laurel into Team Arrow.

• Love 4

I don't really want to watch another 21 episodes of Oliver moping because he "can't" be Oliver Queen and The Arrow at the same time.

Seriously. No FO REALS. He get's until episode 11. What possible thing could he do not to die alone in a cave? WHAT?!

I rewatched the episode, and lord SA is terrible in that first flashback. STILL. Like going into Toshi to pick up some power converters BAD. I know he's married to that damn high pitched voice of Island Oliver but gawd it's so weak and adds to the overall stiltedness.

I feel bad because Arrow stunts are usually so spot on but why does Roy always crouch down like a Flying Monkey, and the bug eyes don't help.

I loved Ray even more the second time through, and EBR is still really bad in the beginning of the foundry cry scene, but it was a hella awkward bit of writing, Sara, Sara, Sara, how come you won't date me cause your Human being, and I need more! Laters.

• Love 1

Is it wrong to sympathize with Laurel and still want her to get smacked across her face? I mean, I understand where she comes from, but she's just so insufferable. And she's supposed to be the new Canary? I'd rather she buy a giant replica of Sara's doll and fight crime in a plush shark suit. That would be more believable that Canary!Laurel.

A love letter to Sara? Damn, Caity's next role had better be awesome for us to leave Sara like this. At least "Sara Diggle" has a nice ring to it. Or whatever Lyla's last name is.

At least Ray Palmer's smarm has limits. And at least he doesn't have psychic vegan powers. Felicity would be screwed otherwise.

Aw, Thea's gone to the Dark Side. Just more logs to put on the fire of Ollie's ManPain.

• Love 7
There is nothing which irks me more than someone who has a desire/goal and doesn't have the perseverance/work ethic/motivation to change or pursue. "It is what it is" is nothing more than a piss poor excuse to give up without even trying. Get off your ass, Oliver Queen! If you don't want to die down there then march your pathetic ass on out of there.

I think I kind of get why this is happening, though. Oliver has gone through a lot in the last seven or so years. He's probably fought harder than anyone has ever fought in their lifetime. I haven't seen signs of him giving up much before now; the only time it's sort of happened is when Tommy died. If anything, Tommy's death gave Oliver a reason to change his vigilante ways, to not kill, but he even went to the island as a way to 'pay for his crimes'. But with Sara's death, the woman he's seen die about four times now, it's clearly gotten him and he's having his moment of weakness, the one who is believing that he can't do this anymore, or maybe it's more that he doesn't want to. It's not that he has given up yet, but he's expressing his feelings for once, something he doesn't really do. He even said to Felicity this episode that he feels like he has to be the strong one so others can grieve. Honestly, I think Oliver not only needs a vacation (like the one he 'took' to the island after Tommy's death) but he needs to let himself grieve, and let someone take care of him for a change. 

Laurel in this episode wasn't as bad as I thought she'd be. I only really cringed whenever she was in the Foundry. I liked her scene on the stairs with Oliver, and then again in the graveyard but all other moments fell flat. I get she's angry and pissed off and whatever, but her beating up innocent victims is not really rootable. It's not like she had to do it to survive, like Oliver and Sara had to do. It's only for revenge, which is why I can't get behind her actions. I do, however, understand her reasons for not telling her father about Sara. It's a moment of weakness, to see her father with his heart condition and she probably thinks he couldn't handle the grief over losing Sara, so she's trying to keep it from him for as long as possible. Is it right? Absolutely not. But I get why she can't find the courage to tell him. She doesn't want to lose another family member so soon, and she doesn't want him getting involved in the danger that she's so clearly going to get herself into. 

Grief does strange things to people, that's for sure. Everyone reacts differently so it didn't bother me that Felicity said what she said to Oliver. It was heat of the moment, she was upset and probably wanted to have Oliver let go of his pain and grieve alongside everyone else. She realized what she said was wrong, which is the important thing. Watching everyone grieve this episode was heartbreaking, even with Laurel (despite her being such a bitch to Sara last season). Stephen Amell absolutely killed it. He impresses me more and more with each episode. He really does love Oliver Queen and knows exactly who he is as a character, at least for him. My heart broke most for Oliver because all throughout the episode, he was definitely silently grieving, but he was still doing his job because he believed that it would help get Sara's killer. Now that he knows it's not Komodo who killed her, I can see him absolutely blaming himself for her death.

David Ramsey did an excellent job. I could see Diggle's own grief but he was a rock for Oliver, knowing he needed it the most. Laurel could cry and get angry around Oliver because she knew he would be there for her, and she couldn't do it around her father. Felicity got her chance to let it out with Oliver as well as Ray. But Diggle knew Oliver wouldn't do it unless he was in private, so he was still there for him. Even Roy showed his own grief through his worry over Thea and not wanting to give Oliver the letter. He was probably worried that Oliver would get angry, and he seemed surprised when he didn't. Boy, I just really felt for everyone.

Now, seeing Tommy was fantastic. Colin Donnell was fantastic as younger Tommy. It must have hurt Oliver so much, touching Tommy and being right behind him but not being able to reveal himself. And Tommy hearing that his best friend was dead? That must have stung more. I love how Tommy was keeping track of Oliver's e-mails and other accounts, though. That's a true best friend right there, not giving up. And seeing Thea and Malcolm? Even better. I think Thea's playing Malcolm because five months with the guy isn't going to turn her opinion about him around like that. She's a smart girl.

Ray was creepy but better this episode than last, at least. He seems to care about Felicity and I love how he never pushed her. 

• Love 4

So they threw Sara at a dumpster and stuffed her in a refrigerator, then had Team Arrow put her in a pine box and bury her in her old grave and they call that a love letter. I didn't even watch the episode and to me that looks like them trying to get rid of Sara as many ways as they could. 

• Love 13

Just want to touch on two things that I don't think have been mentioned:

1. Way to cross-promote your characters, DC. (Felicity saying Sara was an "Amazonian warrior")

2. I would have liked to see a Single Manly Tear from Oliver. By himself or something. I figure he should get a minute to grieve; and if we didn't get it in this episode, I doubt we'll get it later.

----

Oh, and thanks to whoever pointed out that they put Sara in a fridge. LITERALLY.

• Love 1

Meh.  I'm so apathetic about this episode that I don't even have it in me to expand on my thoughts.  That's not a good sign if it's only episode 2.

Yeah, I'm pretty meh about it, which I never would've thought was possible last year. I'm not ready to give up yet-I knew the first few eps we're going to be bad for the team, and I did really like the first one overall, this ep just wasn't what I expected at all. It was disjointed and too many plot points were contrived. I'm hoping it starts getting its footing back soon-or that this ep was just an anomaly (I know, I know).

• Love 2

When we found out that Felicity was going to work for Ray, there was so much discussion and debate about how this would work. I am actually pleased with how it came about: It was for her. She didn't need Oliver's permission or even input, she isn't going there to spy or for the mission. She saw the state of her life and the lives of people around her and decided for herself that she wouldn't let it destroy her. 

This character is amazing. 

ETA: She also wasn't going to stick around to save Oliver. People have to save themselves. He needs to realize that; She already knows that.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 20