Type keyword(s) to search

Fargo In The Media

halgia
  • Start Topic

On 1/6/2020 at 10:33 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, Season 1 aired in 2014, Season 2 aired in 2015 and Season 3 aired in 2017.  We are now in 2020.  lol  It's rather ridiculous.  I get how they want quality cast members, but, there are plenty awesome actors out there. Just pick some and get the project done.  This kind of thing is so insulting to me and I am not amused. 

There was no guarantee that there would be a season 4.  After season 3, the creator had other projects and said he'd only make another one if he had a story.

Given that it's an anthology with few, if any, characters showing up in more than one season, I don't mind the breaks.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WritinMan said:
On 1/9/2020 at 10:30 PM, Irlandesa said:

Looks really good. Hopefully this will be a return to form after the train wreck that was season 3.

I loved a lot of season 3, like the characterizations of Nikki Swango and Gloria Burgle, and Ewan McGregor was unrecognizable in his dual roles. But, yeah, this does look better. 

• Love 1

S4 premieres on April 19th. The cast includes Chris Rock, Francesco Acquaroli, Andrew Bird, Gaetano Bruno, Jessie Buckley, Jeremie Harris, Jack Huston, Amber Midthunder, Jason Schwartzman, Ben Whishaw, Uzo Aduba, and Timothy Olyphant.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I just watched the first 3 seasons over the last few weeks and after kind of being let down by 3 that looks pretty awesome. Especially Chris Rock and Timothy Olyphant.

Although what was the deal with the lady at the end saying Minnesota was the land of 1,000 lakes. I have never been there but I remember meeting a guy from Minnesota in university. When I called it the land of 1,000 lakes he quickly corrected me that it was 10,000 lakes.

• Love 2
On 1/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, WritinMan said:

Looks really good. Hopefully this will be a return to form after the train wreck that was season 3.

Oh my gosh!  I thought I was the only one who felt that S3 was a TOTAL waste of time and talent!  I purchased S1 and S2 as soon as the DVDs were available.  I won't buy S3.  I was so disappointed.  I think the story line disappointed me more than anything.  The character development in S1 & S2 made you care about what happened to some of the folks.  I just wanted S3 to be over.

Looking forward to S4.  Fargo can only go up from S3.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

Oh my gosh!  I thought I was the only one who felt that S3 was a TOTAL waste of time and talent!  I purchased S1 and S2 as soon as the DVDs were available.  I won't buy S3.  I was so disappointed.  I think the story line disappointed me more than anything.  The character development in S1 & S2 made you care about what happened to some of the folks.  I just wanted S3 to be over.

Looking forward to S4.  Fargo can only go up from S3.

I am not sure I found it a total waste of time, there were some really great parts although there were some really bad parts that made me enjoy the good parts less. Compared to seasons 1 and 2 where there were some maybe not great parts that I could easily ignore.

Anyway on to season 4 from what I read it's Kansas city gangsters in the 50's right. Which means we could get young Joe Buell, a young Adam Arkin boss guy and a very young Mike Milligan.

• Love 1

Alan Sepinwall answered this by saying that they usually like to film in winter for the winter effect but FX likes to debut it before the Emmy window closes.  I wonder if the delay will be pushed into the next year given the specificity of those conditions. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Is it just about qualifying for the Emmys? Viewers could sure use a good season of Fargo right about now.

I thought I read that the season’s not completed. 
I imagine that they wouldn’t want to start airing episodes without knowing when they could finish. 

Edited by shapeshifter
On 3/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Irlandesa said:

Alan Sepinwall answered this by saying that they usually like to film in winter for the winter effect but FX likes to debut it before the Emmy window closes.  I wonder if the delay will be pushed into the next year given the specificity of those conditions. 

Doubtful.  An article in EW says:

Fargo has been filming in Chicago for several months, but some episodes were still left to complete when its production shut down last week. 

Winter is effectively over in Chicago, and I think they finished location shooting here a while ago, so I doubt they were planning on more outdoor shots of winter.   I understand the series is working out of a studio on the west side.  That's probably where additional production was to take place.  

Bummed to hear about the delay, but Fargo will be one more thing to look forward to with gratitude when this is all over!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Well,  trailers can be misleading so I'll wait to see it before commenting further.  I will say my expectations couldn't get much lower,  but I'm not as enamored as Hawley with the gang warfare he clings to.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, cpcathy said:

(Crosses fingers) Please be better than season 3, please be better than season 3....

I never finished season 3, maybe got a ep or two into this...should I bother?

Oh wow I didn't realize Jessie Buckley is in this season(or forgot) Love her!

6 minutes ago, Valny said:

I never finished season 3, maybe got a ep or two into this...should I bother?

Oh wow I didn't realize Jessie Buckley is in this season(or forgot) Love her!

No, it was utterly disappointing. Rewatch season 2 instead.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

No, it was utterly disappointing. Rewatch season 2 instead.

That's a great description. It wasn't bad but compared to season 1 and 2 it wasn't nearly as good.

On thing that interests me about season 4 is like season 2 we kind of know the basics of how it ends. In 2 we know Lou doesn't die because he is older in season 1. For season 4 we know the African-American gangsters don't win and take over Kansas City otherwise they would be the ones moving in on the Gerhardts and Mike Milligan wouldn't be working for Joe Bulo. 

• Love 1

On top of everything else, I'm looking forward to seeing which Chicago locations I can identify.  I know they shot a lot of exteriors in the Uptown neighborhood, but at the 00:15 mark in the trailer, that kinda looks like the interior of the Chicago Cultural Center in the Loop -- though not quite. 

• Love 1

This S4 review in Variety isn't encouraging, but I'm still excited.  Warning: the review contains mild spoilers.

This season, depicting gang rivalry in 1950 Kansas City, sets out to tell a story more sweeping than any of its predecessors, and comes away overstuffed. The first nine episodes move without Hawley’s (or the Coens’) usual buoying confidence, as though the volume of incident packed into the season is compensating for an uncertainty about what the story here really is.

That is not to say that what’s on-screen is weak, exactly. As Loy Cannon, the leader of a local crime family, Rock works to wring menace from his role;...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thanks, @cpcathyHere’s Matt Zoller Seitz’s review from Vulture if anyone else is interested.

I skimmed a few other reviews. The NPR reviewer raves, but also believes Season 3 was as good as Seasons 1/2, so his taste may be a bit questionable. The Rotten Tomatoes score is 80% - snippets of reviews are at the bottom of the page. CNN’s review is mixed, praising the atmosphere but panning the slowness and recognizing that both S3 and S4 are far below the peak of the first 2 seasons.

I’m pretty sure I’ll watch it, or at least start to, but with low-ish expectations.

• Love 1

Another negative review for the new season.  The reviewer says Chris Rock is miscast/misused and that the attempt to look at the cultural clashes we are now experiencing through a 50s Midwest lens falls flat.  The season strays from the original parameters and is not recognizable as a "Fargo" derivative.  

I'll be sure to tune in, but this sounds like something much closer to S3 than S1 and S2.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/9/25/21454806/noah-hawley-fargo-season-4 

• Love 2

From The Playlist

Noah Hawley Says Studio Originally Expected ‘Lucy In The Sky’ To Be A  “Reese Witherspoon Dark Comedy”

Maybe because anyone familiar with the story about the astronaut love triangle and strapping on a space diaper for a 900 mile mission to assault the rival were kind of expecting that as well?  

“I set out to make a magical-realism astronaut movie,” Hawley explained. “Not a lot of high demand for that. But that’s what the story wanted to be.” 

Why on earth use this particular incident, which fairly screams dark comedy, for a "magical-realism" treatment?   Has anyone else seen it, and what did you think?

Edited by Razzberry
4 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Why on earth use this particular incident, which fairly screams dark comedy, for a "magical-realism" treatment?   Has anyone else seen it, and what did you think?

I watched about 3/4 of it and just couldn't take any more. I found it boring and pretentious(but mostly boring).

• Useful 2

[Link fixed]  Sorry about that.

Yeah, it was while watching Lucy that I began to wonder how it was possible that the same person who made the first two seasons of Fargo  could be responsible for it.  It had a single humorous line by Ellen Burstyn saying "All that astronaut dick has made you soft" to Lucy, but that's it.  One dick joke.   I suspect the Coens had a much bigger role behind the scenes, at least in the beginning, than was known.

I do think he's talented in the "magical realism" realm a la Legion.

• Useful 1
On 10/2/2020 at 6:05 AM, Razzberry said:

I do think he's talented in the "magical realism" realm a la Legion.

I found Season 1 of Legion just amazing, but Season 2 couldn't keep my attention as much. Maybe it should have been shorter (or even a 2 hour movie) so the actual story-telling would have been more succinct. I bought the dvd of Season 3 but haven't watched it yet because......life.

• Love 2

Got our first casting news for season five: Jon Hamm, Juno Temple, and Jennifer Jason Leigh will be playing the lead roles this go around.  Article also gives a few hints about the upcoming season like it will be set in 2019 this time and will involve a kidnapping of some kind.  Sounds pare for the course for this series!

• Useful 4
  • Love 3