Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Halloween II

• Start Topic

The scene where Jake and the gang actually steal Holt's watch was nothing short of amazing. And then the twist that Holt knew the whole time and put Jake through hell? Masterful. I love this show so much.

"Ms. Pac-Man's nipple!"
"No, that's brown."

"How do you know that?"

• Love 5

I will never forget Hans Blüchheim.

I am enjoying the careful, gradual evolution of the characterizations. At least I think they're working toward something more nuanced for Gina. And I know they're letting Holt have the occasional human reaction and inflection at the right time, without negating what made him awesome in the first place.

The "you thought you were outsmarting me, but I plotted twice as long and was twice as devious" speech is always a moment I enjoy, but this was one of the best ever -- especially Holt playing his own Boyle Bingo 8 months ago to record a crucial line. That was so preposterous, it was divine.

"Good one, Captain. You can't 'wash' a car!"

Plus shirtless Terry! What's not to like?

I do hope that on some future episode when they have "opera" singing, it's actually opera. Just for a change. But that didn't spoil my pleasure at all.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

Honestly, I wasn't really feeling this ep until Holt revealed his diabolical plan. And the I couldn't stop grinning. I kind of thought early on that he was already ahead of Jake, but the whole reveal was great.

There were a few more things I liked...

- Gina saying something like, "One da-lool plus one da-lool equals TWO-DA-LOOOOLS!"

- Charles saying that deuce is like ace but twice as cool.

- Charles saying, "I have to make urines in de toilet."

- Floorgasm dancing Gina out of the group.

- Baditude

- Jake and his whole "No. What? No. What? No. What? No."

- Holt saying, "I started by creating a… word cloud."

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

I feel like we just had a Halloween episode ten minutes ago! How can a year have passed already?

I missed Rosa and Amy, who had very little to do this episode, and for some reason I can't really explain I found the Terry-Gina stuff intolerable. But I liked that Holt got the best of Peralta, and that everyone but Boyle was in on it-- and that Jake didn't really mind. That's good sportsmanship right there!

I did think that relying on a pickpocket was a bad plan, and was not the least bit surprised when the watch was not at the drop off point. That part was too obvious.

Holt having Jake's car washed instead of crushed was super-sweet, as well. These guys like each other. That makes the competition even better.

• Love 3

Loved this episode.  I am still cracking up thinking that Holt had the tape recorder ready 8 months ago because he KNEW Boyle would stand up and say "get on the party bus, woot woot!"   And "Santiago, your code name is 'hall monitor'" and her reaction to that name just killed me.  

• Love 4

Honestly, I wasn't really feeling this ep until Holt revealed his diabolical plan. And the I couldn't stop grinning. I kind of thought early on that he was already ahead of Jake, but the whole reveal was great.

There were a few more things I liked...

- Gina saying something like, "One da-lool plus one da-lool equals TWO-DA-LOOOOLS!"

- Charles saying that deuce is like ace but twice as cool.

- Charles saying, "I have to make urines in de toilet."

- Floorgasm dancing Gina out of the group.

- Baditude

- Jake and his whole "No. What? No. What? No. What? No."

- Holt saying, "I started by creating a… word cloud."

I completely agree. The episode wasn't doing anything for me (although it did have some good lines) until Holt's plan was revealed. Then, of course, I had to watch the whole thing again and enjoyed it much more.

• Love 1

The pickpocket/watch stealer was the guy from Brain Games, Apollo Robbins!  They always use him for the illusion stuff and in real life he calls himself a gentleman thief, so he's actually truly a pro at that type of thing.  I just checked out his Wikipedia page and it says he successfully pickpocketed Secret Service agents who were protecting Jimmy Carter and later they contacted him to find out about his techniques!  A hell of a thing, really.  I was glad to see him in the episode. 

• Love 8

I found this episode really broad, and in a lot of ways, it just didn't feel like this show. People had to act much stupider than they are in order for it to hang together, and the Terry/Gina thing really had nothing to do with anything else and made no sense anyway. Although I did like that learning that she's taking college courses.

• Love 3

The pickpocket/watch stealer was the guy from Brain Games, Apollo Robbins!

He was also the pickpocket consultant for Leverage (I believe that was close to his official title) and also appeared in at least one episode.

I enjoyed the episode, but it really hit its stride with the Holt reveal. It was good to see he got the best of Jake in such a wonderful Holtian fashion - by planning a year ahead. I can just see him plotting his revenge instead of doing the paperwork. I imagine he just put the paperwork at the bottom of each of their inboxes knowing they wouldn't realize it (with the possible exception of Amy, but if she said anything, he would deny it and she would agree that she must be mistaken). Boyle's costumes at the beginning and the code names were great.

It was stupid of Jake to trust a pickpocket, but not out of character for him to do so. The only part of the episode that I could not believe was that Scully (or was it Hitchcock) was able to lift Jake's wallet.

• Love 1

Yeah, this wasn't the strongest episode. I liked the cold open, with Boyle's Halloween costumes, but the He-Man one really reminded me of Beast Master Pierce, and so that was an unfavourable comparison to the funniest Halloween show I've ever seen. But the whole thing was a bit too zany for my liking. All that running around and chasing after things, just felt like lazy writing.

Jake was way too clownish and slapstick, and felt like he was being written by someone who has read descriptions of his character, but has never seen the show. Although, "good one, captain. You can't wash a car" was very good. And I did like that Jake wasn't upset or pissy about the rest of them ganging up on him.

I did like Holt's reveal, though. Although I really wish the writers themselves had started planning his revenge a year ago, and some of those watch clips had appeared in previous episodes. How awesome would that have been?  "I'm doing a cost benefit analysis in my head... the benefits outweigh the costs. We have reached an accord." Is beautifully Raymond Holt, and his glee at defeating Jake was really fun to watch.

And while I usually love it when the criminals get involved in the hijinks, that McCreary guy was really boring and bland. That could have been a fantastic role for a genuinely funny actor. So he's a real pickpocket? Eh, that doesn't make him cut out for gig on a sitcom.

Stop trying to make Gina human, show. She's just a monster, and one I'm happy to ignore whenever she appears. I simply don't believe that this character would ever actually try to better herself, rather than just expect the world to give her whatever she wants. Although "school is cool. That's why it rhymes" was such a lame 'dad' thing to say, and I love Terry for it.

I liked Rosa's cat outfit, but other than that, the episode was lacking in both her and Amy. But I did like Amy's little bits, like being delighted over the name "Hall Monitor" and her happy little smile as she stole Jake's car.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

I agree with so many of the above posts. For me, this was definitely the weakest of the four episodes we've gotten so far this season---though it should be noted that I really loved the other three :)

I'd been thinking maybe the writing for Gina had improved, and in some ways I still think it has, but mostly I think my tolerating her more this season had to do with the fact that she was used in such relatively small doses. Last night's episode had far too much of her for my liking, and IMO she and Terry aren't an especially amusing or interesting combination.

I also agree with those who thought there was too much broad, dopey humor last night. 

I did love the reveal at the end that Holt had totally out schemed Jake and, as others have said, Jake being so cheerily accepting of it. I totally agree that it made the rest of the episode seem better in retrospect. 

. But I did like Amy's little bits, like being delighted over the name "Hall Monitor"

I watched that part two or three times. I seriously adore Amy! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

I did like Holt's reveal, though. Although I really wish the writers themselves had started planning his revenge a year ago, and some of those watch clips had appeared in previous episodes. How awesome would that have been?  

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing (and recalled the awesome My Name Is Earl TwoP event). 

• Love 1

Yeah, besides Holt revealing his plan at the end and winning the "bet", this episode wasn't as enjoyable as the first Halloween or the other S2 episodes.  The idea was sound, but the execution was lacking on some levels.  Agree that part of it was it required Jake to be more cartoonish and broad this time.  Although, I did like that he respected Holt for besting him, and didn't hold it against the rest for teaming up with Holt.

Then, there was the Gina stuff.  Yeah, it's official for me now: I'm find when she's a side character, but anytime the story is focused on her, I get bored.  I just don't find her likable, and even after her "excuse" came out, I just felt bad for Rosa and Amy for having to do all the work, and I feel like Terry is being too soft on her.  I get that she does have a fanbase, so I will accept that we'll get them every now and then, but it's going to automatically downgrade whatever episode it's in.

Rosa in the cat suit and Amy's reaction to the "The Hall Monitor" code name, was made of win!  

I did like that Boyle wasn't involved in the trick, because he could never turn on Jake like that, so they had to have Terry "take him out."  I also liked how happy Jake was when he knew Boyle didn't turn on him.  I do like the Jake/Boyle pairing.

Holt did have a lot of great lines in this one.  Andre Braugher really is amazing.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed a lot it (certainly better then some of the early S1 episodes), but it was just weaker then the norm.  No biggie; every show tends to have episodes that don't quite get it right.

I'd been thinking maybe the writing for Gina had improved, and in some ways I still think it has, but mostly I think my tolerating her more this season had to do with the fact that she was used in such relatively small doses. Last night's episode had far too much of her for my liking, and IMO she and Terry aren't an especially amusing or interesting combination.

I don't think it's improved so much as it's been toned down (maybe that's the same thing). So she's been less awful recently, and thus enabled me to more easily ignore her. But this one, she was back on full power, and I have no clue why Terry has learned to give her the benefit of the doubt, given her conduct. I kind of hate characters like this, who are acknowledged as useless and actually detrimental to the work being done, by most people, yet still get to stay in their positions. I know they've tried to show that Gina has value, but those felt more like empty, 'well, we need some excuse to have her on the show' attempts by the writers.

Amy's reaction to the "The Hall Monitor" code name, was made of win!

I'm pretty sure that was improv'd as well. It felt more like something Melissa Fumero threw in, when she was asked to do something that Amy would do. And about that moment, I also love the panning shot across the three characters. Rose - lounging in her chair, one arm and one leg resting on neighbouring chairs. Terry - leaning back and looking serious. Amy - perched upright, with an attentive smile, hands crossed in her lap. But not like a pervert. Like an attentive, prim teacher's pet. Adorable.

Holt did have a lot of great lines in this one.  Andre Braugher really is amazing.

The line read of "I started by creating a word cloud" was just magical. He must be having so much fun in this role, and I really like how entertaining they're managing to make Holt without ever making him goofy.

• Love 1

The line read of "I started by creating a word cloud" was just magical. He must be having so much fun in this role, and I really like how entertaining they're managing to make Holt without ever making him goofy.

I just amused myself for a good minute doing my own interpretation of Andre Braugher reading that line with different inflections and cackling with glee. How completely absurd - I love it!

Edited by piewarmer
  • Love 1
And then the twist that Holt knew the whole time and put Jake through hell? Masterful.

I thought this was telegraphed from the get go. Something about the way they filmed the pickpocket scene made be be like Holt is in on this and then I recognized Rosa's voice in the party bus. The one thing I did like was that he had to trick Boyle into saying the party bus line because he would never betray Jake.

I don't understand how Terry Crewes chest is real. 

• Love 2

For a moment there, I thought Terry was wearing a fake muscled Roman centurion costume. Then I realized those were his real muscles. Damn. Congratulations on your fitness, Mr. Crews.

Not one of their best this season but enjoyable, nonetheless. Great cold open, though, and I legit let out a snort at Ms. Pacman's brown nipple.

• Love 1

Ms. Pacman's brown nipple.

Now there's a great forum handle, for someone to use.

I thought this was telegraphed from the get go. Something about the way they filmed the pickpocket scene made be be like Holt is in on this and then I recognized Rosa's voice in the party bus. The one thing I did like was that he had to trick Boyle into saying the party bus line because he would never betray Jake.

I thought Holt was obviously going to win, just from how easily he was convinced to agree to the bet. Raymond Holt doesn't get fooled twice, I don't think. Plus, this show has always been quite magnanimous about sharing wins out between Jake and Holt. But the reveal was still good, and the meticulous planning involved fit Holt perfectly.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

I loved Jake's delight at Holt beating him. If Jake wasn't so amiable and harmless his character would really grate. But they walk that fine line perfectly on this show. For that matter, they walk that line with almost all of the characters, except Gina. I guess that's why I'm not crazy about her. Though I did enjoy her dance-out of Floorgasm. And Terry's frustration that she named their dance team "Mr. and Mrs. Terry Whateverhislastnameis."

• Love 2
And while I usually love it when the criminals get involved in the hijinks, that McCreary guy was really boring and bland. That could have been a fantastic role for a genuinely funny actor. So he's a real pickpocket? Eh, that doesn't make him cut out for gig on a sitcom.

In all fairness, it was a pretty bland part as it was, so I thought it was cool they used Apollo because I just love his flair. I recognized him as soon as he did his signature flash of the watch!

I find I can always do without the Gina parts in any of the episodes. They really wouldn't be missing anything. Although how did all of them manage to do the Halloween candy stuffing AND help Holt out with his plans? I thought they were in the station all night.

I completely agree. The episode wasn't doing anything for me (although it did have some good lines) until Holt's plan was revealed. Then, of course, I had to watch the whole thing again and enjoyed it much more.

Teebax, I'm on the same party bus as you and peeayebee.  When Jake climbed over the fence only to see his car being lifted to its seeming doom, I thought the episode was feeling too caper-y and Jake-centric.  The Holt plan reveal, however, was astonishingly good, and I'm sure I'll appreciate the entire episode much more on rewatch.  Well done, show!

• Love 1

I've watched 10 minutes of this ep and didn't laugh even once, which is really disappointing, because this show has always managed to crack me up. Not sure if I will finish it at all, it just feels so forced and un-funny and Gina's really annoying here.

I've watched 10 minutes of this ep and didn't laugh even once, which is really disappointing, because this show has always managed to crack me up. Not sure if I will finish it at all, it just feels so forced and un-funny and Gina's really annoying here.

Please forge on, FurryFury.  Many of us were not keen on the first 10 minutes, but it definitely picked up after that.

It's a 22 minute episode. Endeavor to persevere.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 2

I watched it last night, having already read all of your comments so I knew the Holt reveal, and I loved it.  But this show just makes me happy.  

I liked that Gina referenced her college classes as "off-brand" and I nearly died at her dance routine with Terry.

And day-um Terry Crews!  DAYUM!!  Why does he even wear shirts?

I don't think it's improved so much as it's been toned down (maybe that's the same thing). So she's been less awful recently, and thus enabled me to more easily ignore her. But this one, she was back on full power, and I have no clue why Terry has learned to give her the benefit of the doubt, given her conduct. I kind of hate characters like this, who are acknowledged as useless and actually detrimental to the work being done, by most people, yet still get to stay in their positions. I know they've tried to show that Gina has value, but those felt more like empty, 'well, we need some excuse to have her on the show' attempts by the writers.

Off the top of my head, there's the time she chose the correct person for the precinct's IT position and the time she helped Terry get over being gun shy (both of which were about Terry learning of Gina's strange ways). I felt that they've laid enough groundwork in the past for him to trust her. And Amy and Rosa, who weren't privy to those incidents, were indeed appropriately incredulous.

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 5

Teebax, I'm on the same party bus as you and peeayebee.  When Jake climbed over the fence only to see his car being lifted to its seeming doom, I thought the episode was feeling too caper-y and Jake-centric.  The Holt plan reveal, however, was astonishingly good, and I'm sure I'll appreciate the entire episode much more on rewatch.  Well done, show!

Add me to the party bus. The bet had potential, and Jake's attempts to get the watch back were amusing, but seeing it all unravel in a slapstick fashion (I rolled my eyes at the costumed  bears separating Jake and Boyle) was disquieting in a "I've seen this before on other sitcoms, yuk yuk yuk". However, Holt's reveal was brilliant, especially how he led Jake around. Jake definitely has enough respect for Holt to be a gracious loser. Long LONG way since the pilot.

I can see the writers, comfortable enough with the idea of a third season, to start putting in Easter Eggs for next year's Halloween bet.

Gina's character needs to be nuanced. I like her, but I still didn't buy her getting out of the Halloween duties and letting the rest of the gang out to dry. They've done it with the other characters, and they need to stop throwing things in at the last minute. These guys  know how to do continuity, even with the first season (Terry!).

Edit because I believe Awesome begins with an  "O", Halloween  has two O's, and other typos.

Edited by NutmegsDad
  • Love 1

This was one of the weakest eps I've ever seen, but even then, everything with Holt was gold, Amy's delighted "yeah! Suck it!" reaction to getting code-named Hall Monitor was fucking great and Jake saying he was a little turned on that his coworkers turned on him without any incentive but to humiliate him was surprising and thus a bit humorous to me.

Much as I generally dislike Gina, I did grudgingly laugh when she admitted to Terry that her job wasn't distracting her from her dancing stuff and her schooling. Heh. Truth!

Certainly not an episode I'd start with if I'm trying to get someone to start watching the show...

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

I watched it last night, having already read all of your comments so I knew the Holt reveal, and I loved it.  But this show just makes me happy.  

I liked that Gina referenced her college classes as "off-brand" and I nearly died at her dance routine with Terry.

And day-um Terry Crews!  DAYUM!!  Why does he even wear shirts?

So that civilization, as we know it, can continue.

• Love 4