Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Reunion, Part 2

I don't think I've seen someone misjudge a reunion so badly. Gina was guarded, defensive, and in denial. It didn't work. I'm in awe of how she continued to deny things when they showed video contradicting her denials. What was lost during the discussion of the cancer charity is that Jackie was saying that the event was comped and Gina only gave $100. That's pretty tacky. And why would she spend any time trying to discredit Jackie? Most people don't believe in psychics; why waste any effort for something most people think is bull? Gina is such an ugly petty person.

Thanks to the unaired footage, I now know that Lydia is dumber than I ever could have thought. Also why would anyone ever share anything with Janet. Her lips seem to be looser than Lydia's legs.

I won't miss Andrea next season.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3

Gina certainly didn't come off very well on this reunion, but I understand why she kept denying everything, as wrong as she may be. Technically, she didn't call Lydia or Andrea a c*** (like to their face). From the clips I saw, she pretty much said "I'm going to tell Andrea/Lydia that she's a c*** for blah, blah, blah". For Gina, that's not really the same thing as flat out saying to either women that they're c****. Semantics and all of that. I could also understand what she was saying when she said that she was venting. I've said lots of bad, horrible things when I'm pissed that I would never say to the person I'm upset with and wouldn't necessarily want anyone else to hear it. She apparently said that she covered her mic, but we see how that turned out.

It was interesting the way clips were used. Many times when people accused Gina of doing something, we'd see a clip in which they were totally wrong about the way she said something, like the whole thing with Lydia and Jackie and "not believing a word that comes out of her mouth" misquote. They did show exactly what Gina said but no one seemed to point out how wrong Lydia was.

Also, every time they claimed Gina brought something up or confronted someone when it was the total opposite. Gina isn't perfect and I can see how she would annoy some people, but she's not as bad as Lydia or Andrea, by a long shot. She trusted the wrong people and they back-stabbed her and she couldn't just suck it up and own up to anything. I've seen nothing this season to warrant the kind of hatred Lydia and Andrea had for her, and I can't believe it's all because of that email. It just can't be that serious.

• Love 3

With the exeption of Chyka, they all got hoisted by their own petards.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone who signs on to be a "Housewife", regardless of the location, has a pretty high opinion of themself and their lifestyle.  Very much a "look at me!" mindset.   They forget that part of being looked at is being judged. 

• Love 3

Gina certainly lost some points at the reunion. As much as I hate to agree with Janet, I agree she was right - Gina's training makes her not want to admit anything until she's faced with insurmountable proof. Although, part of me wanted her to say after the secret footage aired, ok so I called Lydia a c*#t 5 times but I NEVER said it about Andrea. I honestly think Lydia did not give a crap about until Andrea started harping on it.

• Love 3

Could the host get any further up Lydia's ass? I did not expect to like Gina at the beginning of the season, but her and Chyka ended up being my favorites. How was Gina received by the Melbourne crowd? I will have to Google. I tend to go up and down with my admiration of housewives...so maybe I will change on Gina and perhaps she is awful behind the scenes. But I kind of feel like the women misjudged that they would come off better than they did and that Gina would be the outcast. From what I have seen a lot of posters on various sites seem to be on Gina's side.

• Love 5

When it seems that most of the reunion was spent on repeated words Lydia and Jackie say - I think they need to call it a day with this series. And the words or lines weren't funny!!!

That host looked more pulled than Janet!

I only caught the second half but wow (tm Lydia) was it boring. Ugh.

It's telling that when there's a reunion, the threads blow up and yet there are only few posts in this one. Yikes.

The thanking & congratulating the host was interesting. Different from the Hos & Andy.

• Love 2

The host set women's education back 100 years, cooing at Lydia as she stupidly fractured a lot of the English language.

I'm with Chyka - most of this reunion was cringeworthy, with them all shouting each other down.

They need to get rid of Ben, or I'm not coming back for the next season.

There was one hilarious moment: Jackie bleating out "I work"..."I work" as they talked about her spendthrift ways and her vulgar price-tagging everything. Somehow I don't see her taking clients into her home for psychic readings. And showing up for a TV show, and babbling about a new booze offering while someone else does all the work, don't count.

• Love 4

They need to get rid of Ben, or I'm not coming back for the next season.

I've mentioned it before, but what is it with Ben and his desperation to be the 7th housewife? Ooh, Silverchair, big deal. He's no better than Simon (RHONY- an Aussie!) or Miss Terry (RHOC).

I also forgot to mention- that package with Bruce was so weird. I like Bruce, so no shade thrown at him, but what a strange part of the reunion. First- who cares about Bruce's assessment of the women? Did I miss something? Second- they were weirdly self congratulatory of themselves for being the first Aussie housewives. Between the Bruce taped segment, congratulating the host & that bumper with Jackie (?) saying something about it as they were about to start taping, it seemed like they all thought it was this massive achievement. Sorry to break it to you all- it's not all that impressive. It actually means that you've joined the ranks of:

Tamra, Teresa, Gretchen & Slade, Aviva, Brandi, etc. Wow, sign me up (*rolling eyes*).

• Love 4

I forgot about Bruce's bit, which came off to me like a late-night infomercial. Very out of place and odd. And a bit manic, to boot.

Why in the world would production travel to Boston, where he was when his bit was shot, just for that? It added absolutely nothing to the reunion. Of course they could have hired a local production crew to save money, but still...

Edited by pasdetrois

Well, about the Bruce segment, I thought it didn't add much, but then again, they didn't have much for the reunion.  

Gina did come off bad for not telling the truth about what she said.  She was trying to explain it away, but it didn't work. I still like her and find her no more insufferable than the other women.  

I think what Jackie meant when she was saying she earned her own money was that she earns money now from the show.  I think it was obvious Ben didn't agree that she pulled in a good amount of money, therefore she could spend money like crazy.  It did make Jackie look bad with all the clips of her treating Ben like an ATM.  He could do so much better than that, I think he's cute and he's successful enough to have a very nice lifestyle that a lot of women would love to be part of.  I think he's nice, too. All the husbands on the show seem really nice, actually.  

• Love 2

How was Gina received by the Melbourne crowd? I will have to Google. 

She had her detractors, but comparatively speaking she had an overwhelming majority of the favor, followed by Chyka. "Lydiot" and "Mandrea" were at the bottom of the barrel.

The flip side of the Bruce and Ben appearances at the reunion is the absence of Lydia's and Andrea's husbands.  They allowed themselves to be shown on camera while the episodes were filming.  There were rumors about Lydia's husband being none to pleased with her portrayal/behavior on the show and Andrea has dropped out.  I wonder if after seeing how their wives behaved they were embarrassed and didn't want to appear at the reunion to remind people they are related to these twits and/or they basically don't need this crap infringing on their professional lives. 

I didn't get the need for an appearance by Figaro.  I think someone was hoping he would be another Giggy. 

• Love 4

Why won't anyone call Andrea out on the fact that she was never called a ***t by Gina? Is there no other place in Melbourne for their weekly botax and filler?

Edited by rlc

Why won't anyone call Andrea out on the fact that she was never called a ***t by Gina? Is there no other place in Melbourne for their weekly botax and filler?

I guess we'll have to be content with her having called herself out...the door.  Good riddance!

• Love 1

Reunion thoughts...Part II had some good moments but was a total let down, all the good stuff happened in Part One...I did like the Charity reveal and defaming Jackie bits.

For the most part, Jackie and Lydia held their own against Gina well in their specific arguments...and I like Jackie's hobbit...he can come back.

I like Janet, but I can't believe the ladies didn't go at her harder over her hand in a lot of the drama.  Probably next season?

• Love 1

Exactly!

I find this whole argument ridiculous. The biggest problem to me wasn't that Gina did or didn't call someone a c***.  The issue is that someone she had a private conversation with took those words said in confidence and unnecessarily told.  Everyone says things to their friend in private during a venting session that you would never say to that person.  I bet Andrea has said many things about the other women in confidence that she'd be mortified if they were ever told.  Janet sure was mortified when Gina turned tables.

But the argument was never really presented that way and Gina could've avoided a whole lot of unnecessary drama by saying to Andrea and Lydia, "I was frustrated and speaking in confidence with a friend.  I did not realize those words would be used to hurt you.  I would not have ever called you that, but I am sorry that in my moment of frustration I said those words and they were relayed back to you."

A little humility on her part would've ended that whole discussion.

Jackie, with all her faults, is right. She apologized for using the same words to Gina without qualification.  

• Love 2

The flip side of the Bruce and Ben appearances at the reunion is the absence of Lydia's and Andrea's husbands.  They allowed themselves to be shown on camera while the episodes were filming.  There were rumors about Lydia's husband being none to pleased with her portrayal/behavior on the show and Andrea has dropped out.  I wonder if after seeing how their wives behaved they were embarrassed and didn't want to appear at the reunion to remind people they are related to these twits and/or they basically don't need this crap infringing on their professional lives. 

I didn't get the need for an appearance by Figaro.  I think someone was hoping he would be another Giggy. 

Lydia is by far the biggest idiot I think I've seen on any of these RH shows.  She could barely form a coherent sentence.  If she wasn't talking about sex, she used the "That's disgusting" line 8 million times.  And at the reunion I thought she looked awful.  Chubby pie face.  

Without the Gina debacle, Andrea just came off like a woman who does nothing but talks constantly about being busy.  Someone so accomplished doesnt need to remind the world constantly.  Ugly personality.

• Love 3

I just don't like Jackie.  I want to, but she just has some wierd air about her, and her eyes are so close together they are almost a single eye in the middle of her forehead.   

• Love 1

Gina Gina Gina I wanted to root for you but you came off terribly for lying! You said it so own it and move on. You gave the harpies more ammunition by being all lawyerly and trying to disect your words/intentions. The host, can't remember his name, had no control over this group whatsoever!

Edited by Myapple1

I don't like Gina at all, she reminds me of one of those ugly Bratz dolls.  Lydia is dumb but so what?  Not everybody has to be a Rhodes scholar.  I find Lydia silly but harmless; Andrea is vile and so is Gina with her man voice, I wonder if she sings baritone or bass?

That said:

I find this whole argument ridiculous. The biggest problem to me wasn't that Gina did or didn't call someone a c***.  The issue is that someone she had a private conversation with took those words said in confidence and unnecessarily told.  Everyone says things to their friend in private during a venting session that you would never say to that person.  I bet Andrea has said many things about the other women in confidence that she'd be mortified if they were ever told.  Janet sure was mortified when Gina turned tables.

I agree with this.  Gina was venting, she kept trying to say that was what she was doing, but the others kept shouting over her.  There's a difference between going up to someone and calling them a name, and saying to your friend in private, "oh that Lydia, she's such a c**t."

I would never, ever want to be on one of these shows no matter how much you paid me.  A few months ago my friend told me something her husband said, that could be interpreted as being racist; I even told her it was racist, but then she explained why her husband said what he said and, even though I didn't like it, I could see his point of view.  If we were on one of those shows, her husband would be called out for being a racist and she'd be called out as a fool for staying with him.  That's why these shows cost people friendships and more.

• Love 8

OMG, yes!  His face looked as painful as Janet's.  Did they go to the same butcher?  And is the butcher Dr. Moss?

I thought he was thoroughly gross-looking (there goes my long-held belief that Aussie men are all good-looking and sexy!) and terribly fawning, especially over Loser Lydia. Both parts of the reunion were pretty bad, so I won't be watching if they show Season 2 here in the U.S. I can't believe I think Andy's a better interviewer!

I've always yearned to travel to Australia--ever since "TheThorn Birds" -- so I don't know if it's Melbourne, or the particular group they picked from Melbourne, but I'm coming away with a quite lowered respect for the continent, especially the way I feel it's decades behind the times, fashion-wise and otherwise, because of this show.

Then again, I can't imagine Orange County being an awful place at all -- even with the low-rent slags they chose to feature from the beginning.

• Love 1

Every city in the world has their share of trash. Don't let a handful of famewhores color your view of an entire country. I'm from NY and live in LA. While I can guarantee that there are plenty of people just like the Hos on RHONY/BH/OC, they are certainly not representative of those respective geographical areas.

• Love 2

Oh, Australia is TOTALLY behind the times (like they're still in the 80's in a lot of ways), but it's absolutely gorgeous, and the people are super friendly, more than any other country I've ever visited. 

Flying into Sydney is one of the most breathtaking landings you'll ever make. 

• Love 1

After visiting Australia a few times, I feel the behind-the-times thing is a bit overblown. In some ways (the absorption of various Asian cuisines into the mainstream), I've found them to be slightly ahead of much of the US.

Related to this, you get little sense from RHOM, or many portrayals of Australia in the media, just how multicultural it is, at least in the big cities. One in four Australians is born overseas and just over 40 percent have at least one parent who was born overseas. 

http://abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/CO-59

At one point, Melbourne was said to have the second or third largest Greek population in the world.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/aboutmelbourne/history/pages/multiculturalhistory.aspx

Australian pop culture is starting to showcase this, such as with the excellent series East West 101 (sort of a Wire/Homicide: Life on the Street set in a Middle Eastern community in western Sydney). But this hasn't reached the wider world. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_West_101

Outside of Gina being of Italian heritage and Jackie being of Eastern European heritage, there's little of this reality that you see walking around the streets of Sydney or Melbourne on a daily basis reflected on RHOM. (Of course, this is true of the American franchises as well but most viewers already know how diverse NY/LA/NJ are.)

Edited by MiamiGuy
  • Love 1

Australian pop culture is starting to showcase this, such as with the excellent series East West 101 (sort of a Wire/Homicide: Life on the Street set in a Middle Eastern community in western Sydney). But this hasn't reached the wider world.

I don't know if it's considered pop culture : the internationally acclaimed Masterchef Australia does a really good job at showcasing the variety of Australian's background. Australians with arabian, indian, asian and europeans origins are featured proeminently as their cuisine. Every contestant, regarding where they come from, seems able to cook a curry or whip up a vietnamese style salad (and everybody seems able to make pasta from scratch when I can't make it to save my life but that's another discussion). 

I read here and there about racism in Australia, it's hard to believe there is any when my only encounter with their tv is Masterchef, the epitomy of tolerance and celebration of differences !

Thanks for all the informations in the links you provided, it's an interesting read ! 

• Love 1
After visiting Australia a few times, I feel the behind-the-times thing is a bit overblown. In some ways (the absorption of various Asian cuisines into the mainstream), I've found them to be slightly ahead of much of the US.

Well, they are considerably closer to Asia than the US, so that makes sense.  If you consider the absorption of Mexican and South American cuisine into the mainstream, we're roughly the same in that regard.  And further, if you look at West Coast cuisine in the US, there is a significant Asian influence there in every regard.  With regard to Pollock's post, I do agree that most of our cooking shows lack in casting ethnicity, whether it's lack of high level talent, lack of candidate submission, or an outright refusal by casting-it's a shame.

Where I find them to be behind the times is their political incorrectness.  There is no sense that phrases like "Chinese whispers" are offensive, and quite frankly, they have treated and continue to treat their native population with (in my opinion) more disdain than the US.  That being said, I love Australia and Australians, because I think they have a much better balance in their lives than Americans do, they are unfailingly friendly, and they don't have the bug up their ass that Europeans do about American politics when you have conversations with them.  Colonies unite!