Type keyword(s) to search

'90s Hair, B-Movies and British Accents: TWD Cast in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Here is Danai in the new Black Panther trailer. The movie looks amazing and she is stellar. I cannot wait.

Marvel released the profiles of the main heroes in Avengers: Infinity War. Danai's character Okoye is in the third row. I am so thrilled for her!

DL0R8WuXUAEB2xa.jpg

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

A dozen years ago, the Supernatural season 1 finale warned us what would happen when JDM joined the Walking Dead.

Dean (to a possessed John Winchester):  Listen, you mind just getting this over with, huh? Cause I really can't stand the monologueing.

Then, five minutes later John (JDM) begged Sam to shoot him and end the demon for good.  Sam wouldn't do it.

At least Sam had better reasons than everyone on the Walking Dead,

• Love 2

Last night I was watching Death Race 2 which was awful (I liked the first one better).  Anyway, it came out in 2010 and Lauren Cohan played what was supposed to be a sexy, evil bitch with an American accent.  She did not do any of those things well at all.

Great interview with Danai from ELLE. I hope that her role in the Black Panther raises her profile Hollywood and opens more doors for her. I especially hope that it gives her leverage in salary negotiations if she decides to re-sign with TWD.

http://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a16496749/black-panther-danai-gurira-interview-okoye/?src=socialflowTW

Here is Danai at the Canada premiere:

http://www.thecelebdiary.com/danai-gurira-dons-a-gold-dress-for-black-panther-premiere/

Edited by SimoneS
On 12/20/2017 at 11:12 AM, Ohwell said:

Last night I was watching Death Race 2 which was awful (I liked the first one better).  Anyway, it came out in 2010 and Lauren Cohan played what was supposed to be a sexy, evil bitch with an American accent.  She did not do any of those things well at all.

Well, to be fair... so far as excellence in writing/directing/acting go, Death Race 2 is hardly the ruling guide by which all others are measured.  I mean, we aren’t talking Hamlet here.  Hell, we’re not even talking Sons of Anarchy.  :>

32 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Well, to be fair... so far as excellence in writing/directing/acting go, Death Race 2 is hardly the ruling guide by which all others are measured.  I mean, we aren’t talking Hamlet here.  Hell, we’re not even talking Sons of Anarchy.  :>

Well, to be fair... I did say in my post that it was awful.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Wow expected this board to be full of Black Panther posts lol. I've never liked the Michonne character as much as alot of fans but Danai was so excellent in BP and took such command of the screen its almost gonna be a letdown when TWD returns and I'm back to being meh about her. I looked at some of TWD twitter accounts and the creator and producers showed BP love but the only actor who did was King Ezekial...seemed odd. 

So basically she's no longer Michonne to me, straight up Okoye all day.

• Love 1

I just watched a season seven (2000-2001?) episode of 'ER', and Jeffrey Dean Morgan played a firefighter who got pinned under an overturned commuter train car.  He had to have both of his legs amputated in the field in order to free him.  All I could say to myself was 'oh, if that were only Negan lying there.'  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/21/2018 at 12:05 AM, Negritude said:

Wow expected this board to be full of Black Panther posts lol. I've never liked the Michonne character as much as alot of fans but Danai was so excellent in BP and took such command of the screen its almost gonna be a letdown when TWD returns and I'm back to being meh about her. I looked at some of TWD twitter accounts and the creator and producers showed BP love but the only actor who did was King Ezekial...seemed odd. 

Yeah, I was posting Black Panther posters, etc., but there were few people who seemed excited as I was about Danai's role in Black Panther. Hard to know if it was because people don't visit this thread or they didn't care.

I don't use social media so I didn't know that most of TWD cast didn't give Black Panther any love. The cast put on the front that they are this "big family," but they probably like any other co-workers, some don't like each other or care much about each other's projects. At this point, Danai is a much bigger celebrity/star than the rest of the cast so that can't be going down well regardless.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I haven't said much about Black Panther here because I've got nothing to add to what felt to me like a pretty perfect movie that's universally acclaimed.  The only thing TWD related about it was that I felt like Okoye's hatred of her wig was a nice double joke for everyone here who thinks Danai must hate having to wear that fake hair in the Georgia heat.  

• Love 1
On 3/25/2018 at 6:53 PM, SimoneS said:

I don't use social media so I didn't know that most of TWD cast didn't give Black Panther any love. The cast put on the front that they are this "big family," but they probably like any other co-workers, some don't like each other or care much about each other's projects. At this point, Danai is a much bigger celebrity/star than the rest of the cast so that can't be going down well regardless.

I co-sign this lol. I also wonder if other actors have had to turn down opportunities while they were able to lessen her role to work around the BP/Infinity War filming schedule. Might be some salty feelings if so. Things that make you go hmmm. 

Between Maggie's pay issues (Ezekial also gave her a shoutout about that on Twitter) and some of the hard feelings expressed by former cast members, all doesn't seem well in TWDville.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:05 AM, rab01 said:

I haven't said much about Black Panther here because I've got nothing to add to what felt to me like a pretty perfect movie that's universally acclaimed.  The only thing TWD related about it was that I felt like Okoye's hatred of her wig was a nice double joke for everyone here who thinks Danai must hate having to wear that fake hair in the Georgia heat.  

Yes! I want to go through the screen and snatch it off lol.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, rab01 said:

The only thing TWD related about it was that I felt like Okoye's hatred of her wig was a nice double joke for everyone here who thinks Danai must hate having to wear that fake hair in the Georgia heat.  

Yes!  I cracked up when Okoye snatched that wig off her head and got to work.

Wow expected this board to be full of Black Panther posts lol. I've never liked the Michonne character as much as alot of fans but Danai was so excellent in BP and took such command of the screen its almost gonna be a letdown when TWD returns and I'm back to being meh about her.

Heh.  I figured everyone knows she's got a major role in BP and IW, so it felt, I dunno,  kinda unnecessary to post too much about it.  BP was everything!  I could talk about it for ever. 

• Love 1

I'm doing a rewatch of Westworld and didn't realize Steven Ogg was in it, playing Simon in a cowboy hat (except for that one scene were he was stark naked).  He must be the nicest guy in the world IRL since he always plays the same horrible, deplorable character on screen.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:06 AM, Haleth said:

He must be the nicest guy in the world IRL since he always plays the same horrible, deplorable character on screen.

I have no idea what this is, but "horrible" doesn't really describe it.:O  *Warning* Steven Ogg in his underwear screaming about his dick.

Edited by AngelaHunter
(edited)

Steven Yeun has been getting rave reviews for his acting in his new movie, Minari, which just won a Golden Globes award. Here's his recent interview in the New York Times Magazine....

The Many Lives of Steven Yeun
By Jay Caspian Kang    Feb. 3, 2021
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/03/magazine/steven-yeun.html 

After graduating from Kalamazoo College, where he performed in an improv group, Yeun hedged his bets. When he expressed interest in acting, his extended family and friends would suggest he consider moving to Korea, following the path of dozens of gyopos — the Korean word for Koreans who grow up abroad — in film and music who saw no opportunity for themselves in America. But he also applied for a job at Teach for America and prepared to take the LSAT and MCAT. When the teaching job didn’t come through, Yeun moved to Chicago to make the rounds on the comedy/improv circuits for a few years. He moved to Los Angeles when he was 25. Two church friends from Michigan had rented out a condo in Koreatown. Yeun moved in with them and set out on the audition circuit.

Five months after arriving in Hollywood, he tried out for the role of Glenn Rhee on “The Walking Dead.” He had just been turned down for a sitcom role — for what he calls a “plucky assistant” — and wasn’t expecting much. To his shock, he got the job.
The success of “The Walking Dead” catapulted Yeun into an odd place. Now he was one of the most recognizable Asian-American actors in the country, perhaps even the world, but the speed of his success and his relatively short time in Hollywood meant that he skipped over the crises of identity, authenticity and frustration that are the birthright of the Asian-American actor.

He also took on a strange new role as an inspirational sex symbol for young Asian men, not for his own exploits but for Glenn’s ongoing relationship with a white woman named Maggie, played by Lauren Cohan. An Asian man dating a white woman on the most popular show on TV was seen as not only a marker of progress but also a permission slip for white women to maybe start dating more of us. Yeun understood the excitement but wasn’t sure what to make of the fuss. Should he be proud? Or did he even want that sort of attention at all? “I went through the same journey that I’m sure most Asian-American men go through,” Yeun said, referring to the typical rejections and emasculations that befall so many of us. “It’s just so paper-thin — you’re asking Asian men to be validated by whiteness, and you’re basically saying that I can only feel like a man if I’m with a white woman, which is just a terrible thing to think.”

Fair or not, Glenn Rhee, and by extension Yeun, was touted as the Great Asian Hope, the Jeremy Lin of dating white women on TV. “I still get emails from Asian dudes to this day,” Yeun said. “And they’ll say something like, ‘Thank you so much, you’re the first one of us to ever do this.’”

Watching his career from afar, especially after “The Walking Dead,” when he branched out into auteur films like Bong Joon Ho’s “Okja” (2017), Boots Riley’s “Sorry to Bother You” (2018) and, most notably, Lee Chang-dong’s “Burning” (2018), it seemed as if Yeun was on a different track than other established actors like John Cho, Daniel Dae Kim, Margaret Cho or Sandra Oh. They were all identifiably Asian-American — their roles required the acknowledgment that people who looked like them might also be heading to White Castle or working in a Seattle hospital. Yeun, by contrast, felt as if he came out of some new mold of race and representation, an immigrant actor who could simply just be a success, both in Hollywood and abroad. There was an effortlessness to his career that seemed unencumbered by lengthy conversations about the importance of seeing Asian faces on the screen or the never-ending squabbles about casting white actors in Asian roles.
At its core, “Minari” is a straightforward and exceedingly honest movie about a Korean-American immigrant family that moves from Los Angeles to Arkansas. Jacob Yi, the patriarch played by Yeun, grows tired of his work as a chicken sexer, a job that mostly entails taking baskets of newborn chicks and sorting them by gender. He wants to start a big farm that will supply produce to the thousands of Koreans who are immigrating to the United States. Jacob’s wife, Monica, played by Yeri Han, has reservations about her husband’s ambitions, but she goes along as he sows, irrigates and plows a cursed plot of land.

Jacob Yi spends much of “Minari” in a state of quiet rage. He doesn’t understand why his crops aren’t growing; he doesn’t understand why Monica wants to move back to Los Angeles or why she might want to be around more Korean people. He doesn’t understand why his family doesn’t fully and enthusiastically support his farm dreams.
“Minari” premiered at Sundance and took home the U.S. Dramatic Grand Jury Prize and an audience award. ....

‘Minari’ wins best foreign language film at Golden Globes. Yes, it’s American
By JEN YAMATO   FEB. 28, 2021
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-02-28/minari-golden-globes-2021-foreign-language 

After drawing criticism for barring American drama “Minari” from competing for best picture honors, the Golden Globes awarded its 2021 foreign language prize to writer-director Lee Isaac Chung’s critically acclaimed film Sunday night.

The Arkansas-set tale about a Korean American immigrant family that moves to a rural farm in the 1980s is based on Chung’s own childhood and stars Steven Yeun, Yeri Han, Will Patton, veteran Korean actress Yuh-Jung Youn and newcomers Alan Kim and Noel Cho.
Co-produced by A24 and Plan B and released this month, “Minari” is in both English and Korean but was ineligible for entry into the best picture race, per Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. rules for films more than 50% in a language other than English.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The 2021 Critics Choice Awards will be airing tonight (March 7) on The CW - Steven Yeun is one of this year's Best Actor nominees for his performance in the film Minari...
https://www.criticschoice.com/critics-choice-awards/

FILM NOMINATIONS FOR THE 26TH ANNUAL CRITICS CHOICE AWARDS
BEST ACTOR
Ben Affleck – The Way Back (Warner Bros.)
Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal (Amazon Studios)
Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
Tom Hanks – News of the World (Universal Pictures)
Anthony Hopkins – The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)
Delroy Lindo – Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
Gary Oldman – Mank (Netflix)
Steven Yeun – Minari (A24)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

^^^ UPDATE:

Steven Yeun did not win the Critics Choice Award for Best Actor (Chadwick Boseman won that award, and deservedly so). However, Steven's film, Minari, won the Critics Choice Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Also, his young co-star, Alan Kim, won the Critics Choice Award for Best Young Actor/Actress. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Hot Package: A24 Teams Its ‘Minari’ Oscar Nominee Steven Yeun With Ali Wong For 10-Episode Series; Lee Sung Jin Showrunner
By Mike Fleming Jr   March 16, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/03/minari-steven-yeun-hot-tv-package-a24-ali-wong-10-episode-half-hour-series-lee-sung-jin-1234715790/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Hot off his first Oscar nomination for Minari, Steven Yeun is reuniting with A24 on an untitled 10-episode dramedy he’ll star in with Ali Wong. Pitched last week, it has created an auction frenzy with the usual suspects — Netflix, Amazon, FX and Apple among them — all in the mix.

Wong and Yeun are executive producers. The creator-writer-showrunner of the limited series is Lee Sung Jin. He is co-executive producer On Dave and is producing the Alex Russell Black List script Lurker and developed Omniverse, a pilot for Showtime with Kanye West, Jaden Smith and Scooter Braun. Past credits include the FX pilot Singularity, Amazon’s Undone, Netflix’s Tuca & Bertie and HBO’s Silicon Valley.
They are keeping the logline under wraps for the moment, but this isn’t going to take long to land, and it will be 10 episodes, 30 minutes in length.

The series will mark the first for Yeun since his beloved Glenn Rhee character shockingly was killed off on The Walking Dead. After a lauded turn in the Lee Chang-dong-directed Cannes pic Burning, Yeun starred in the A24 and the Lee Isaac Chung-directed Minari, which drew six Oscar nominations Monday including Best Picture. Yeun became the first Asian American to be nominated for Best Actor.

Edited by tv echo

Jon Bernthal is in this movie (out May 14 in theaters and HBO Max)...

Those Who Wish Me Dead - Official Trailer
Warner Bros. Pictures    Apr 7, 2021

... Oscar winner [Angelina] Jolie (“Girl, Interrupted,” the “Maleficent” films) stars as Hannah, a smoke jumper still reeling from the loss of three lives she failed to save from a fire when she comes across a traumatized 12-year-old boy with nowhere else to turn.
The film also stars Nicholas Hoult (the “X-Men” films), Finn Little (“Reckoning”), Aiden Gillen (“Game of Thrones,” “Peaky Blinders”), Medina Senghore (“Happy!”), Tyler Perry (“Vice,” “Gone Girl”), Jake Weber (“Midway,” “Homeland”), and Jon Bernthal (“Ford v Ferrari,” “Wind River”). ....

Edited by tv echo

Steven Yeun at the Oscars last night - he didn't win the Best Actor award, but in a shocker, neither did Chadwick Boseman (the award went to Anthony Hopkins)...

Did Steven Yeun Finally Get "Mom's Approval" After "Minari"? | E! Red Carpet & Award Shows
E! Red Carpet & Award Shows    Apr 25, 202

MINARI Nominees Steven Yeun and Director Lee Isaac Chung Oscars 2021 Red Carpet Interview
ABC   Apr 25, 2021

Andra Day x Steven Yeun | 93rd Oscars Academy Greenroom
Oscars   Apr 25, 2021

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘The Boys’ Season 3 Casts Laurie Holden in Recurring Role (EXCLUSIVE)
Joe Otterson   June 25, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-boys-season-3-cast-laurie-holden-1235005314/ 

Laurie Holden is joining “The Boys” Season 3 at Amazon in a recurring role, Variety has learned exclusively.

Holden will portray the supe known as Crimson Countess. She joins other recently announced recurring cast members Sean Patrick Flanery as Gunpowder, Miles Gaston Villanueva as Supersonic, and Nick Wechsler as Blue Hawk.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Steven Yeun plays Richard...

‘The Humans’ Starring Steven Yeun to Premiere at TIFF
By Haley   July 28, 2021
https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2021/07/28/the-humans-starring-steven-yeun-to-premiere-at-tiff/ 

A24’s film adaption of the Tony award-winning play The Humans by Stephen Karam will host its world premiere at this year’s TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival).

The Humans is a multi-generational family drama that takes place during Thanksgiving. It follows the Blake family as they argue over the things that make us human — illnesses, religious frustrations, and aging.

Steven Yeun, Beanie Feldstein, Amy Schumer, Jayne Houdyshell, June Squibb, and Richard Jenkins star. Karam is directing the project.

The full schedule of showtimes will release August 24. This year, TIFF is offering a hybrid system of in-person and digital packages. Tickets and packages are currently available for purchase. The festival is taking place September 9-18.

Previous article:
‘The Humans’ Movie Adaptation Enlists Richard Jenkins, Amy Schumer, Steven Yeun, and More
by Ben Pearson   March 14, 2019
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-humans-movie/ 

Set during Thanksgiving, the story unfolds at the crummy New York apartment of Brigid Blake, a musician who lives with her boyfriend, Richard. Brigid’s family comes to visit for the holiday meal: her sister Aimee, a lawyer who lives in Philadelphia and happens to be a lesbian; her parents Erik and Deirdre, who live in Scranton and are unhappy that their daughters have left home and abandoned their religious beliefs; and Brigid’s grandmother “Moma,” who has Alzheimer’s disease. The play examines class issues and interrogates the idea of The American Dream in the face of unexpected hardships, and the movie sounds like it could be an intense family drama that touches a nerve.

E7ZCvejXoAEKsl9?format=jpg 

Edited by tv echo

The Walking Dead's Andrew Lincoln Returning To Horror TV For Guillermo Del Toro Series
NICK VENABLE    SEP. 2. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2572975/the-walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-return-horror-tv-guillermo-del-toro-netflix 

As strange as it is to say, it's been years now since Andrew Lincoln temporarily hung up his hat as Rick Grimes within AMC's Walking Dead universe, with a series of feature films set to come at some point in the future. Fans are waiting with bated breath for those movies, but we probably won't have to wait quite that long to see Lincoln's return to the horror genre, as he's been announced as part of the stellar cast for Guillermo del Toro's upcoming anthology series Cabinet of Curiosities, one of many exciting horror shows coming to Netflix.

Previously going under the name 10 After Midnight, the in-development series Cabinet of Curiosities will deliver eight episodes brought to life by filmmakers and cast members chosen by Guillermo del Toro himself. As revealed by Netflix Geeked, one of those episodes will star Andrew Lincoln, The Babadook's Essie Davis, and Sex/Life's Hannah Galway. This installment should definitely be a banger, also, because it's based on an original short story that del Toro himself penned, with The Babadook's Jennifer Kent taking on the same duties for this episode.

Unfortunately, no further details were shared about the episode, though we can probably expect for it not to be a zombie story, as I can't imagine Andrew Lincoln will join any more of those in his career unless the point is being overtly self-aware with it. Maybe he'll BE the zombie this time. Or a werewolf! Or a killer clown! Now I kind of need to see all three of those ideas put together.
Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities doesn't yet have any kind of release window at this time, but we can hope to see it hitting Netflix in 2022, possibly right around the time The Walking Dead wraps up its eleven-season run on AMC> In the meantime, our 2021 Fall TV schedule should help audiences find all the upcoming shows they're looking for.

Edited by tv echo

I'm watching a movie from 1985 on the FXM Channel and saw Jeffrey DeMunn's name in the opening credits.  I'm glad I saw his name, because when he appeared on the screen (he has a pretty prominent role) it would have driven me crazy until either I figured out who it was or looked up the movie's cast online.  He had the same voice, but looked a lot different (as he would have--1985, after all!)  The movie is 'Warning Sign' and it's about a bio lab way out in the desert that has a lab accident involving a deadly virus.  Apparently, it was considered to be a fairly good representation of what would happen (inside the lab and out) in this type of event (1985 tech and protocols, of course).  I thought I had caught all of the movies of that genre, but I missed that one. FXM shows it now and then, if you want to see a much younger Dale. 

• Love 1

Every Walking Dead Actor Who Is Also In The MCU
BY JORDAN IACOBUCCI   PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/walking-dead-actors-mcu/

10 Corey Hawkins (minor cameo as a Navy Operations Specialist in a command center in Iron Man 3)

9  Kerry Condon (voice of F.R.I.D.A.Y., Tony Stark's replacement AI after J.A.R.V.I.S. was transformed into Vision, in several MCU movies)

8  Cailey Fleming (played young Sylvie in Loki)

7  Elizabeth Ludlow (minor cameo as an Easik woman attempting to escape Ego's toxic sludge in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2)

6  Ross Marquand (replaced Hugo Weaving as Red Skull in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, and also voiced Ultron in What If...? and the Ultron sentries in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness)

5  Jon Bernthal (played Frank Castle, a/ik/a the Punisher, in Netflix's Daredevil and The Punisher)

4  Matt Lintz (played Bruno Carrelli, Kamala Khan's best friend in Ms. Marvel)

3  Lauren Ridloff (played Makkari in Eternals)

2  Michael Rooker (played Yondu in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 and Vol. 2)

1  Danai Gurira (played Okoye in Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, and the upcoming Black Panther: Wakanda Forever)

Edited by tv echo

In addition to Thunderbolts, Steven is also in an upcoming Netflix series, Beef, and Bong Joon-Ho's new movie, Mickey 17...

Steven Yeun On Joining Marvel’s Thunderbolts: ’The Intentions Of The Character Were Very Clear’ – Exclusive
By Ben Travis    March 14, 2023
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/steven-yeun-marvel-thunderbolts-exclusive/ 

For the actor – whose Thunderbolts role is currently under wraps – it was an opportunity to re-team with director Jake Schreier, whose upcoming Netflix series Beef stars Yeun in a leading role opposite Ali Wong. “I don’t know if it was explicitly on my bucket list,” Yeun tells Empire of joining the MCU. “It was more the story, getting to work with Jake Schreier again, who directed Beef, and what his intentions were. The intentions of the particular character that they wanted me to play were very clear, and that’s what drew me to the film.” But who will that be? A villainous role? Someone in the orbit of Harrison Ford’s Thunderbolt Ross? A fresh recruit of Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ Val? Stay tuned…

Before then, we’ll see Yeun in Bong Joon-Ho’s long-awaited Parasite follow-up Mickey 17 – his second time working with the Oscar-winning filmmaker, following Okja. “I really learn so much from him,” says Yeun. “There’s this camaraderie that he allows me to participate in with him that I really appreciate. At the end of filming [Mickey 17], I remember turning to him as we shot my last scene, and I was like, ‘I learned a lot… and thank you.’” The results, he promises, will be special. “It was a killer set to be on.”

Edited by tv echo