Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E30: Hollywood Here We Come, Part 1

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Found a description at TheTVDB:

While the ALDC is in Los Angeles to compete at Nationals, Abby makes a major announcement that will forever change the Elite Competition Team. Ex-ALDC dance mom, Jeanette, stalks the team to LA and vows revenge against Abby. Cathy schemes to ruin Abby's west coast visit by challenging the ALDC to a dance off, and everyone is shocked when Abby's moves steal the show.

The heavy hand of producer hijinks was extra noticeable this episode. I'm sure that Stalker Mom *just happened* to know the exact date, time, and location in LA for the rehearsal because she's a crazy stalker, and not because the producers invited her. Either way, her poor kid was obviously not in on the joke, and that's just despicable. Ditto for CHRIST-y and Sarah (felt especially bad for poor Sarah's observation that 'this happens every single time' - yes dear, that's the role you've been assigned, sorry no one told you that you're not actually here to dance).

Speaking of stalkers, enough already with the crazy candy apple lady. She comes off as more deranged than Abby, which is saying something. Surprised that she goes along with the plot just to get on TV - guess the money must be worth it.

• Love 3

There's no question that the producers, and Abby herself, knew about Ava being there. With all of the security surrounding the ALDC, not to mention the ten production assistants, caterers, camera men, sound people (yes, they were miced)...we are supposed to believe that they snuck in?

• Love 1

Abby won't last long in LA. When the show is gone so will the studio be.

Exactly. Here's the thing- Abby may have been a big fish in Pittsburgh, but -in LA- she's a morbidly obese, low resume, reality tv star who just happens to have a dance show. Unfortunately, on her dance show, she may choreograph, but she doesn't teach technique and she's been blackballed by the largest dance educators association in the world. In LA, your reputation is based on YOUR successes. Abby is not a dancer. GIANNA would have a better shot at success in LA.

• Love 2

How is this farce still on the air?  It's soooo scripted and as been since mid way through the 1st season. The ratings are in the cellar, so it can't possible survive another season. As the end comes, I sincerely hope whatever money the girls made on this show (thanks to their moms selling their own children's souls and senses of self esteem) is securely deposited in the girls' names. 

And I think Gianna is just as snotty and badly behaved as Abby.  She always looks like she's smelling bad cheese.

• Love 5

I must admit I really enjoyed the street "dance off" thing that they did. All the girls looked like they were having so much fun with it. I think it was the happiest I've seen Chloe look in a long time.  Nia looked like she was having a blast too. I don't think the whole set up was quite as spontaneous as they tried to make it look, but it was still fun to watch. 

(edited to fix typo)

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 2

Was that Maddie on Kimmel? Was she in that Sia video? I just can't keep up unless I'm reminded more than 5 times an episode ;)

Seriously though, I don't keep up too much with pop music, though I usually know and have heard the big names. Is Sia a big deal? Thought Maddie did a good job with her role in it.

• Love 1

How is this farce still on the air?  It's soooo scripted and as been since mid way through the 1st season. The ratings are in the cellar, so it can't possible survive another season. As the end comes, I sincerely hope whatever money the girls made on this show (thanks to their moms selling their own children's souls and senses of self esteem) is securely deposited in the girls' names. 

And I think Gianna is just as snotty and badly behaved as Abby.  She always looks like she's smelling bad cheese.

Agreed about Gianna.  She has always rubbed me the wrong way but this season takes the cake.

• Love 3

I finally got around to watching the episode (or at least what I could stomach and not fast forward).  They are setting the scene for Chloe and Christi to leave the show.  Holly needs to leave with Nia also.  Christi is right when she stated that it was the girls that made Abby not vice versa.

So sick of the crap with Cathy and the Candy Apples.  It is way past time to pull the plug on this show.  Abby is a bully and she will fail with 2 studios.

I wish I weren't so OCD, because then I could stop watching right now. Instead I have this sick compulsion to see the series to its bitter end.

The dance off was lame. Most of the ones you see at comps are much, much better. Picture Kalani if that gives you an idea. And Nia, showing up your opponent does not mean pretending to kick them in the face. Jeez, that is not cool.

It's obvious that Maddie will dance, and probably take Chloe's spot.

Abby will fail, fail, fail in LA. She will have an initial group of wannabes sign up, but the bread and butter of most studios are the little kids that take combo classes and maybe jazz a couple of times a week, and I don't see her finding that many Brentwood moms willing to subject their precious little ones to this monster.

• Love 4

The dance off was lame. Most of the ones you see at comps are much, much better. Picture Kalani if that gives you an idea. And Nia, showing up your opponent does not mean pretending to kick them in the face. Jeez, that is not cool.

It was nice seeing the girls so happy - but I agree, the dance off was not that great.  The ALDC girls could really benefit from more improv practice.  They are not what you would call 'fierce' in that sense.  

Speaking of Kalani, her latest solo is pretty stunning: http://youtu.be/qqv0_QzNGVc.  

Edited by sofiah

It was nice seeing the girls so happy - but I agree, the dance off was not that great.  The ALDC girls could really benefit from more improv practice.  They are not what you would call 'fierce' in that sense.  

Speaking of Kalani, her latest solo is pretty stunning: http://youtu.be/qqv0_QzNGVc.  

yikes, how old is Kalani?  She could easily pass for a senior in high school.  She would look ridiculous next to prepubescent 11 year old Maddie and Kendall. 

yikes, how old is Kalani?  She could easily pass for a senior in high school.  She would look ridiculous next to prepubescent 11 year old Maddie and Kendall.

Maddie just turned twelve, Kalani just turned 14.  I think Kendall is still 11.

I've just rewatched Club Dance girls' solos at the Dance Awards this year, and wow!  Kalani's studio has really outstanding dancers. Brynn won mini best dancer (http://youtu.be/MiAmvHjf8cE) , and Simrin won teen best dancer (http://youtu.be/im_cJ6OHd9w) and they both dance with Kalani at Club Dance.  Thank god for her, if she's serious about dancing, that she went back to her studio!  

Edited by sofiah

I agree, Kalani is amazing and dances like a senior, but Kalani is also 2-5 years older than the ALDC girls. I don't think they can be directly compared. Even if they were the same age, comparisons in the teen years (11-16) can't really be made because these girls are going through puberty at different rates. Kalani has her adult body (or close to it), Maddie, Mack, and Kendall still have their prepubescent bodies for the most part, while Chloe and Nia are going through awkward changes at the moment. Kalani has the advantage of knowing and being comfortable in her body in a way that the ALDC girls haven't had the opportunity to do just yet.

That said, Kalani does have another advantage of actually taking classes this past year instead of just rehearsing the same non-challenging routines every week. But getting to senior-level dancing first doesn't mean that she will be the best in 5 years. I've seen girls with bad feet and lack of gracefulness come through puberty and work through classes to become beautiful senior dancers. Kalani and Maddie are precocious - but the other girls may catch up if they aren't beaten down by Abby during this critical period.  

That's where, if Melissa weren't such a suck-up, she'd be working to ensure that Maddie is getting more instruction (and critique) in environments beyond ALDC. If the girl really does plan a career in dance, she needs to get out of that pitiful little studio and away from Abby.

But I suspect Melissa enjoys the "star" status too much to see or let that happen - and Maddie will suffer in the end, because she won't get what she really needs to reach her goals.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

Is Sia a big deal? 

Unfortunately, yes, she is a pretty big deal.

But getting to senior-level dancing first doesn't mean that she will be the best in 5 years. I've seen girls with bad feet and lack of gracefulness come through puberty and work through classes to become beautiful senior dancers. Kalani and Maddie are precocious - but the other girls may catch up if they aren't beaten down by Abby during this critical period.  

This.  I really wonder what will happen when Maddie hits the growth spurt, some kids fly through it with no effort - it completely takes down others as the transition from Jr dancers to Teen dancers.  Kalani really is a pretty exceptional dancer.  Though, some kids are just always dancing way ahead of their years, I was shocked that after leaving heavy comp, my daughter ended up one of these kids, but, she also went through puberty really young.

That's where, if Melissa weren't such a suck-up, she'd be working to ensure that Maddie is getting more instruction (and critique) in environments beyond ALDC. If the girl really does plan a career in dance, she needs to get out of that pitiful little studio and away from Abby.

But I suspect Melissa enjoys the "star" status too much to see or let that happen - and Maddie will suffer in the end, because she won't get what she really needs to reach her goals.

It's really hard to tell at this point for certain, she actually has improved.  My fear is her education - what if this girl blows out a major joint and can never dance again?  These kids, Maddie included actually do get a lot more exposure to other teachers than we are led to believe - they also do the convention circuit and Abby does pull in some pretty good choreographers/master teachers for her summer boot camps.  Ouch, that really hurt to type, lol.

It seems though that really, Melissa's shortsightedness and Maddie's burning desire, lead to a commercial dance future, not an artistic one.  (LA vs NYC dance.)

• Love 1

I agree, Kalani is amazing and dances like a senior, but Kalani is also 2-5 years older than the ALDC girls. I don't think they can be directly compared. Even if they were the same age, comparisons in the teen years (11-16) can't really be made because these girls are going through puberty at different rates. Kalani has her adult body (or close to it), Maddie, Mack, and Kendall still have their prepubescent bodies for the most part, while Chloe and Nia are going through awkward changes at the moment. Kalani has the advantage of knowing and being comfortable in her body in a way that the ALDC girls haven't had the opportunity to do just yet.

That said, Kalani does have another advantage of actually taking classes this past year instead of just rehearsing the same non-challenging routines every week. But getting to senior-level dancing first doesn't mean that she will be the best in 5 years. I've seen girls with bad feet and lack of gracefulness come through puberty and work through classes to become beautiful senior dancers. Kalani and Maddie are precocious - but the other girls may catch up if they aren't beaten down by Abby during this critical period.  

I agree, Kalani can't really be directly compared to the ALDC girls.  However, if you compare what the 10, 11, 12 year olds at Club Dance are doing to what Mack, Maddie and Kendall are doing, the differences are just as glaring.   Anyway, I don't like directly comparing any kid to another, and I don't like comparing the ALDC kids to kids who are quite clearly some of the best in the country (because in their defense they never claimed to be that good in the first place)…  I was more comparing the studios. And I'm sure there are lots of studios I could use as examples if I knew more about it. I've heard Maddie say herself that as well as being older, Kalani also takes a substantial amount of hours of ballet (as I'm sure all competitive dancers at her studio do) a week, while she takes 2.  Maybe she takes more now that she is homeschooled, who knows.  

I doubt any of this would be a shock to Abby.  She has made it pretty clear that with the exception of Maddie - she doesn't consider any of her dancers to be that exceptional.  The show must really hurt them in terms of actual dance training, I'd be interested to know how many hours of actual classes they take a week.  Also, I bet Chloe will improve a lot if it's true she's left the show.  I can see her surpassing the other girls, because while they have to keep doing the same old thing she might actually be getting good training. 

Edited by sofiah
I usually know and have heard the big names. Is Sia a big deal? Thought Maddie did a good job with her role in it.

I had never heard of her before either, but lately I have been hearing that song on the radio all the time.

Cathy is annoying, but I had to laugh at her doing a dance to Chandelier.  Abby keeps acting like she's somehow responsible for the success of it, instead of that Maddie was lucky to get a spot in the video.  And I'm not saying Maddie wasn't good in the video, just that she didn't make it successful.

Christi is right when she stated that it was the girls that made Abby not vice versa.

I know Abby is always saying she makes stars, but have we ever heard of or met one actual real example of someone she trained that is successful?  I don't get her attitude at all.  No one would know her name if not for the show, so I don't follow her logic about people knowing the girls because of her.

I'm not surprised she's opening an LA studio now that her mom's gone.  She obviously is fame hungry.  Hopefully this will allow the girls to escape from her drama.

I'm really no good at judging this, but it seemed that Cathy's dancers were way better than Abby's. They had actual dance moves, while the ALDC girls mostly had attitude. Lots of stalking and strutting, but not anything that looked like skills. No wonder the other Abby's girls basically won because their fans cheered the loudest.

I do hope if Abby opens the LA studio we don't see too much of a grown man who calls himself Ebaby.

In a sick/twisted/mean way I hope Abby does get her LA studio for a few reasons...1) there is no way she can run 2 studios, she barely runs the one as is 2) she is going to make a joke of herself... She's not even the best of the best in the east coast. West coast dance is gonna eat her alive. 3) the show is on its last leg as is... So is she really in a position to have another very expensive morgatage, hire teachers that are gonna need to be paid a pretty penny, and travel from coast to coast? No way.

• Love 2

Chloe posted lots of pictures on her instagram of her weekend at VIP Dance in Canada.  So happy for her.  It must be killing Abby that as soon as Chloe is free she scores a great gig like being Blake McGrath's assistant! Ha. 

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 2
On 10/04/2014 at 11:56 PM, KaveDweller said:

I had never heard of her before either, but lately I have been hearing that song on the radio all the time.

Cathy is annoying, but I had to laugh at her doing a dance to Chandelier.  Abby keeps acting like she's somehow responsible for the success of it, instead of that Maddie was lucky to get a spot in the video.  And I'm not saying Maddie wasn't good in the video, just that she didn't make it successful.

I know Abby is always saying she makes stars, but have we ever heard of or met one actual real example of someone she trained that is successful?  I don't get her attitude at all.  No one would know her name if not for the show, so I don't follow her logic about people knowing the girls because of her.

I'm not surprised she's opening an LA studio now that her mom's gone.  She obviously is fame hungry.  Hopefully this will allow the girls to escape from her drama.

I think they work on cruise ships,  Disneyland,  and local theater productions.  I'm sure some ended up going to better schools and landing gigs here and there, but she didn't make them stars. Sia made Maddie famous. From what I've seen of "Sister, " Sia may be the unmaking of Maddie.