Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: The Captain

• Start Topic

Abby is torn between 2 NON-Killers! Ray balked at killing Kate and Jim failed to implement his poorly planned Cookie hit. What's a girl to do???

In a surprise twist, she runs away with Avi. There's a man who will agree to casual murder.

• Love 4

All in all, a pretty satisfying finale--although I felt the Bunchy storyline was out of place. That could have been wrapped up in the penultimate episode. I was both surprised and relieved to find out he did not pop a woody when he lifted the naked child out of the bathtub. I really thought this show was setting us up for a very uncomfortable struggle with the cycle of childhood abuse.

That corrupt parole officer deserved much more of a comeuppance. I want someone to rat him out to his superiors about how he's on the take. He really is a rotten scoundrel who should never be put in a position of authority.

I was miffed about Kate, though. I hope she had the good sense to send copies of the story she was working on to her boss or other colleagues.

Did Lena have Avi's belongings all packed up for him? He really should have consulted Ray about offing his side piece. How could he possibly thought that would go over well?

Abby was less shrew-like than usual. No surprise she didn't take Jim up on his much too kind offer--especially now that there is no immediate threat to Bridget's safety. What does Jim see in her? I was initially convinced he was only pursuing her to take down Ray but I suppose the writers see some attractive/redeeming qualities in Abby that I do not.

• Love 1

Rahul - The boyfriend cop might still be in play.  He had to have been using Abby.  Maybe he did not start out with that intention but after he found out her particulars, why not?

Ezra is (technically) running the show so Avi (technically) works for Ezra, just like Ray does.  Ray may be upset with Avi but he still needs Avi.

I was glad they mentioned Bunchy before he season ended.  I was wondering what the girlfriend was going to do.  I hope Bunchy stays clean and sober.

I never thought for a second that Abby would entertain a thought of moving in with her cop.  Move there?  With two kids?  She would never give up the life Ray provides.  Ray would take care of the kids and Abby's lifestyle would change dramatically.

Glad to see Terry wise up and take the bail.

Why did Ray have the sex video delivered before he knew what did and did not happen?

Edited by Puddy

He just assumed that Cochran had Kate killed. Even when he confronted Cochran and Cochran denied it, Ray still thought he did it.

As much as I dislike Abby, I laughed when Conor was lying on the couch whining about how his arm hurt and she told him to stop complaining.

What really annoyed me about Abby this week was that once Ray killed Cookie, she had stars in her eyes again. A man who will kill for me is sooooooo dreamy! I found it interesting that she told Jim she knew he wasn't that kind of man and that she shouldn't have asked him to get rid of Cookie in the first place. NO SHIT, CHET, NO SHIT. And I totally agree that there is no way she was going to move into Jim's little apartment with the kids. She may say that she doesn't want the house in Trousdale, but she has become far too accustomed to the lifestyle that Ray has given her to want to move into a crappy little place with Jim. As I said earlier this season, she is too much like Carmela Soprano. She bitches about her husband's job when it suits her pity parties, but she likes the money and the luxury that it provides and she certainly doesn't want to give that up.

I know I shouldn't have found Cookie's bodyguards as amusing as I did, but I loved the shaming look they gave Ray after they confiscated his gun and chided him about trying to bring it into a kid's birthday party. I also loved when they half heartedly patted him down with one hand while eating birthday cake later.

• Love 4

They have certainly wrapped up some loose ends. Happy that the stalker doesn't get any more screentime. The whole thing with Ray and his girlish ex is actually dispensable. Kate was annoying me for the last three episodes. Good riddance!

Mick winning the money that way appeared a bit over the top. 

Next season has to be about what is Ray actually loving?

As of now you could say that he is not good at beeing a husband, a father, a masher. 

He is not good in his job in that sense that he doesn't always do as told and that he is willing to risk his clients' interesests in order to get it his way. Who sets the rules? He himself, but how and why? Cookie and the guy who ended up in the trunk were his clients! That won't bode well for his business.

• Love 1

Ray was burning bridges left and right tonight. He killed Cookie, leaked Cochran's sex tape, reported the body at Ezra's wife's building, and lost Steven as a private client (along with the income that came with him). Is Ezra going to keep Ray on now that he's turned on him? If not, how is he going to support his family now?

I awwwwed when Lena hugged Avi.

I don't know much about the rules at the track, but when you win that much money, isn't there paperwork involved? Do they really just give you $1 million in cash and let you walk out?

Mickey was a dick as per usual. First he lured Darryl back with the promise of giving him all the money from the safe, then he bet it all at the track.

I hope the Bunk doesn't burn through his winnings too quickly.

I had a hard time feeling sorry for Ray when he found out about Kate's death. Am I supposed to believe he had deep feelings for his side piece?

Although Bob was a creepy stalker, did he really deserve to die for trying to protect that blonde chick from being abused by Steven? Honestly, all three of them were a clusterfuck so I guess it was just a matter of time before someone got hurt.

Steven is a total nutjob. When Ray put him in the trunk of his own car and then he said it was like being back in the womb, I thought damn, maybe he's going to go for the insanity defense.

• Love 4

I was commenting on my TV, "Check the bag, men, check the bag!" What kind of bodyguards were they to not even took a peek in the bag?

On a side note, all modern cars have mechanism in the trunk lid so that it can be opened from inside. To prevent exactly that kind of thing with Steven happens. And of course it has to be demonstrated to us that Mercedes-Benz CLS has powered trunk. Even though Ray's hands were free. Twice.

• Love 1

I thoroughly enjoyed this season finale! I don't think this show would be half as good as it is without Jon Voight. I was cracking up when him and Starsky ( I mean Alan) were beating each other with the tennis racket! And the track? OMG him hearing wants her names voice through the horse was hysterical. Can't stand Ray's obnoxious kids, but they obviously get that characteristic from Abby, so good for the writers making it real, but if my kid said what 'Connah' said when Ab's boyfriend came knocking, I would of smacked him. These kids! Poor Bunchy. I really can not blame that girl for not going any farther in the relationship because I really don't think Bunchy has it in him, but still, your child comes first. I'm glad Kate is gone. I felt that storyline with the affair between her and Ray was 'off' . She just didn't come off as some woman Ray would go for and his reaction to her death was very unrealistic. I rolled my eyes at that one. Glad Cookie's gone too. Abby now looking at Ray with teen girl stars in her eyes? Ugh! She really, REALLY bugs me!

Edited by kathybgd
  • Love 4

Ray went full Joker on Cookie's bodyguards - "Oh, there’s only one spot open right now, so we’re gonna have…Tryouts. Make it fast." 

That was so sad tho. Very realistic in my opinion, goes to show you the kind of society we live in.

The only reason I can see that Ray was really "taken" with Kate?  She was the "one that got away" when he was younger and getting together with Abby.  Kate was the type he wanted but was unable to get back in the day so he ended up with Abby by process of elimination.

I said, "Check the bag!" too but I figured that since it was Ray's second trip, they let it slide.  They were all tired and eating cake and shit.  Where's the phone and the video now?

I think Abby was happy to see Ray at the end of the show.  When she saw the news report, she already knew the cop was not the one that did it.  They made her look all "glowy" when she came down the stairs.

Are we thinking that Ray is not suspecting Avi as the one that did Kate in?  He was missing for a good chunk of time and Lena and Ray know this.  Now, the sex tape is out there and Ray has another enemy and one less person in a powerful position he can use.

Edited by Puddy

I had a hard time feeling sorry for Ray when he found out about Kate's death. Am I supposed to believe he had deep feelings for his side piece?

Fingers crossed his blonde side piece bites it next...

Edited by tricknasty
  • Love 2

Detective Doogie Howser may be the worst cop ever. "Move in with me, the guy trying to kill your kid doesn't know where I live!" No, but he knows where the kids go to school and he has access to a car, it would be quite easy to follow them. That's a dumber plan than planting drugs on a guy in front of your partner.

I usually skip past The Wacky Adventures of Mickey Donovan, but must admit it was pretty funny this week. The guy lifting his kid out of the bathroom in the background of the fight had me in stitches.

I'll miss Crazy Steve and Ray's complete lack of patience with him.

• Love 3

I got to go back and look at that part (the guy lifting his kid out of the bathroom in the background). I plan on seeing it again later. I never do that either. Once is usually enough for any show for me, but I really like this show. I have loved Jon Voight for so many years. Midnight Cowboy and Coming Home are two of my all time favorite movies. The ending of Coming Home when he's in his wheelchair giving some speech while Tim Buckley is singing 'Once I Was'. as we watch Jane Fonda go about her day while her husband is stripping off his clothes and sadly walks aimlessly into the ocean, is so damn sad!

Edited by kathybgd
  • Love 1

I thoroughly enjoyed this season finale! I don't think this show would be half as good as it is without Jon Voight. I was cracking up when him and Starsky ( I mean Alan) were beating each other with the tennis racket! And the track? OMG him hearing wants her names voice through the horse was hysterical. Can't stand Ray's obnoxious kids, but they obviously get that characteristic from Abby, so good for the writers making it real, but if my kid said what 'Connah' said when Ab's boyfriend came knocking, I would of smacked him. These kids! Poor Bunchy. I really can not blame that girl for not going any farther in the relationship because I really don't think Bunchy has it in him, but still, your child comes first. I'm glad Kate is gone. I felt that storyline with the affair between her and Ray was 'off' . She just didn't come off as some woman Ray would go for and his reaction to her death was very unrealistic. I rolled my eyes at that one. Glad Cookie's gone too. Abby now looking at Ray with teen girl stars in her eyes? Ugh! She really, REALLY bugs me!

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you about Jon Voight. He's only one of a large ensemble of actors in this series, but actors are like cream in milk, the best seem to rise to the top and make everyone else look good. Very easy on the eyes too when he was a young actor.    Jon-Voight-as-Joe-Buck-in-Midnight-Cowbo

• Love 1

I just went to you tube to refresh my mind on the last scene of Coming Home. I was wrong about how Bruce Dern goes into the ocean, but my goodness YES ! Young Jon was very easy on the eyes. That's the type I have always been attracted to'. my daughter disagrees. Her type is someone like Jason Mamoa. I have to agree with her on that one. OMG! So perfect! Sorry, won't go off subject again.

Edited by kathybgd
  • Love 1

Rahul - The boyfriend cop might still be in play.  He had to have been using Abby.  Maybe he did not start out with that intention but after he found out her particulars, why not?

You really think so? We haven't seen him make a single move towards his greater, ulterior motive is there is one.

Are we supposed to believe that Cookie and his henchmen didn't think there could be a gun in the bag??  I saw that coming from a mile away.

Me too. Perhaps we're supposed to believe the acolytes were so absorbed in cake-eating they felt a body patdown was sufficient.

I just turned on the TV and a familiar face from Ray Donovan greeted me by surprise in a cult favorite, Hocus Pocus.  Our very own reporter Kate (Vinessa Shaw) plays the romantic interest of the teenage protagonist!

• Love 1

We have to wait and see what happens with the cop boyfriend.  He may still be in the picture if he wants to use Abby to get something on Ray.  If Abby is ending it with him, he will not be happy because his chance for making a mark for himself professionally will be over.  He is such an amateur, thinking he was going to plant drugs on Cookie.

We have to wait and see what happens with the cop boyfriend.  He may still be in the picture if he wants to use Abby to get something on Ray.  If Abby is ending it with him, he will not be happy because his chance for making a mark for himself professionally will be over.  He is such an amateur, thinking he was going to plant drugs on Cookie.

Hopefully, Mattress World offers a 30 day money back guarantee.

• Love 2

Cookie was an overconfident bastard to let a man as dangerous as Ray Donovan know that his daughter might still end up dead. What were you thinking? I knew Ray would kill him anyway(after all he went back on his word and offed Marvin and pops) but I think Ray wanted to hear him say it.

I do think he underestimated Ray, and this weaker impression was set up a few days ago with Ray allowing himself to get beat up and look vulnerable. It was smart.

• Love 4

I like that Mickey is being haunted by Linda, but having her inhabit Mr. Ed and whispering the name of the winning horse was too contrived to be believable.  Or that Bunk would inhale the spirit and switch his bet to the same long shot.

Ray knows Avi killed Kate. He called Avi and asked him, and Avi admitted it. 

I had forgotten since last week that Ezra set Avi on Kate, so when Ray confronted Ezra, I felt better because I was worried Ray might go after Avi.  I would really hate to see anything happen to either Lena or Avi. 

Lotta murders in this town that no one apparently ever is held accountable for, though.  And maybe taking Cochran down wasn't the smartest move since he now will have no reason to protect any Donovans.

We have to wait and see what happens with the cop boyfriend.  He may still be in the picture if he wants to use Abby to get something on Ray.  

I think he may be legit.  The little dorm room seemed like a sincere albeit pathetic gesture.  I felt sorry for him.

• Love 1

It was cool to see the horse racing scenes filmed at Santa Anita Race Track. I just went there in late June to watch races. It also brought to mind the great HBO show Luck, which unfortunately was ended after one season. That show constantly filmed at Santa Anita. Ironically, Dustin Hoffman of Luck and Jon Voight co-starred in Midnight Cowboy. Luck was an outstanding show!

• Love 2

Man, Ray burned a lot of bridges.  Cochran, Ezra, Avi, maybe his brothers (by telling the police about the buried body), Steve...  On the other hand he has Abby back on Team Ray.  Yay?

This almost felt like a series finale with the way all the lose ends were tied up.  Do we know if it's been renewed?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

I am glad the reporter died and I am glad it was fast.

The horse speaking to Mickey was ridiculous and unnecessary. Why show?

Hate Mickey, can't stand Jon Voight. I used to like him in the old days. Lately, it seems to me, he is not acting anymore, but rather playing himself. Maybe it is me. Still dislike him

I wish Abby had bought tickets to Boston - and left with the brats -  before Ray killed Cookie. 

• Love 2

Man, Ray burned a lot of bridges.  Cochran, Ezra, Avi, maybe his brothers (by telling the police about the buried body), Steve...  On the other hand he has Abby back on Team Ray.  Yay?

This almost felt like a series finale with the way all the lose ends were tied up.  Do we know if it's been renewed?

It felt like the series finale to me, too.   Where does next season go?  Ray has lost pretty much all of his friends (except his female assistant) but got back his horrible wife and kids.  The gym will still be there.  Terry may be in jail.  Bunchy will continue suffering.  Essentially, Ray has to rebuild his career and connections.

Good finale except for the big racetrack payday that was an unbelievable stretch.  I guess that horse paid 50-1 since they won a million.  And yes, you aren't going to get a million in cash from the racetrack, they fill out forms and the IRS gets notified and all that, and you get a check.  Abby telling her boytoy cop that it was alright he didn't kill Cookie because he wasn't that kind of man was good foreshadowing.  Ray is that kind of man, and Abby had her epiphany at the end of the episode that she belongs with that kind of man.  I expect her to be solidly by Ray's side in season 3.  Maybe this is the last we'll see of shrew Abby and get a tolerable Abby next year (crosses fingers).

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

I expect her to be solidly by Ray's side in season 3.  

Geez, Dobian, here we are with fingers, toes crossed and wishes upon wishes on stars that Abby disappears and you come up with this one. LOL, here is the rule... we do not want her to redeem herself in any way. Just want her to be gone ...

But we love you anyway. Here's a hug cause you are a Ray Fan and that counts for a lot.

• Love 3
The boyfriend cop might still be in play.

I think so too. He's very compromised though as far as Abby is concerned. He might turn on her while continuing to try to get the goods on Ray. I think Abby will keep him in her contacts list because she'll find it useful to have a cop she can get to fix minor stuff that Ray wouldn't have time for.

Mick winning the money that way appeared a bit over the top.

Mick is evil. He'll use and abuse his own kids to get what he wants and they always forgive him (except for Ray). Seeing him get rewarded for his heinous behavior was disgusting to me. But geez, Jon Voight owns that role.

Do they really just give you $1 million in cash and let you walk out?

And would you just walk out with that much money, in a measly duffel bag no less?

but if my kid said what 'Connah' said when Ab's boyfriend came knocking, I would of smacked him.

Yeah those kids are generally obnoxious but at that moment Conor was still hopped up on pain pills so I'll give him a pass this time. It's odd to me though that Abby lets them talk to her the way they do.

I'm surprised and glad that the show was renewed because this episode did seem like a finale. Maybe when they filmed it the renewal status wasn't known. And on a somewhat related note, does Ray Donovan have a theme song? I found myself wondering what music would be played if the show or any of the actors won an Emmy. I'm thinking this episode will probably get some nominations.

My uncle was an officer in the security division at Santa Anita and Hollywood. From what I remember from him working there and my aunt (his sister) winning a lot is that amounts way under 1M required paperwork (as stated) and an armed escort to your vehicle. We are talking around $1500! So you see Mick's win was for sensationalism only but I loved it. It made me laugh out loud and say "Go Mick!" outloud. I think he brings a freshness, so to speak, to a cast of otherwise annoying people like Abby and the kids. And Cookie. 

• Love 2

Geez, Dobian, here we are with fingers, toes crossed and wishes upon wishes on stars that Abby disappears and you come up with this one. LOL, here is the rule... we do not want her to redeem herself in any way. Just want her to be gone ...

But we love you anyway. Here's a hug cause you are a Ray Fan and that counts for a lot.

It might be that I'm an eternal optimist that Abby can turn it around as a character.  Or maybe I'm just an eternal pessimist who believes that they will never get rid of her so I'm just hoping for the best.

• Love 1

It might be that I'm an eternal optimist that Abby can turn it around as a character.  Or maybe I'm just an eternal pessimist who believes that they will never get rid of her so I'm just hoping for the best.

Then, I say you have all bases covered. You are probably right about that ...

• Love 1

Yes, but the creator Ann Biderman has been let go (or "stepped down," in Hollywood speak). That makes me wary of season three's direction since I can list a slew of great shows that were ruined once the creator was fired.

I don't see how Jim could ever be responsible for Ray's arrest, considering he's not on some undercover mission sanctioned by the police department. Moreover, any evidence he did obtain would be inadmissable in court given the sexual and personal nature of his relationship with Abby. I'm really doubting that he was brought on the show to stymie Ray's activities in any way, other than making him a cuckold of sorts.

I mentioned this on the Abby thread, but I'll bring it up here as well. It appears that the majority of the characters this season, ended up receiving some sort of comeuppance for their actions, except for Abby who ended up right where she started at the beginning of this season. I think it would've been interesting for their to be some kind of just deserts for her, but nope. She's got the mopey dopey cop pining for her, Cookie is dead, and she can go back to not worrying about 'Bridge'. When she came downstairs after watching the newscast on Cookie's murder I was hoping Ray would turn to her and say, "Abs, I want a divorce." Send her back to Boston, and have her take 'Bridge' and 'Connah' with her.

• Love 1

I loved it when Kate bought it.  It was sudden and unexpected and I must say a delightful surprise.  She has been annoying me since she got there.  I didn't see any chemistry with them, the actress was middling and the character incredibly cocky and stupid for playing with fire as much as she did.  She said she could deal with the consequences.....I wonder if she felt that way during the two seconds she looked at the barrel of Avi's gun.

Also loved how Ray killed Cookie.  

God, this show is making me violent.  Although I don't hate Ray's kids actually.  Connor IMO is not a bad kid at all; he wants a father figure and he's got three lousy ones if you count that internet guy.  Ray is flawed to say the least but I think he tries.  Maybe I'm too forgiving but I just really love the character.

• Love 3

Connor IMO is not a bad kid at all; he wants a father figure and he's got three lousy ones if you count that internet guy. 

I seem to be the odd one out because neither Conor nor Kate bother me. Kate was treading on dangerous terrain but she was well aware and pursued her story regardless of the consequences. I admire her for that.

Conor hasn't been developed very well, but I prefer him to Bridget. I know it's horrid and superficial but her smushed in facial features bug me (this coming from someone who adores pugs!) I also think Conor is the more interesting of the two because he's an adrift loner with no friends yet is deeply attached to the older male figures in his family. I wonder if Conor's friendship with Tommy Wheeler is strictly platonic or there is some latent sexual undercurrent there. Hopefully his sexuality will be addressed in season three.

• Love 2

Well, I'd rather witness Conor grappling with his burgeoning awareness of his sexuality than see Bunchy navigate his as a "sexual anorexic." I'm just glad the whole potential pedophile -in-the-making storyline is over.

• Love 2

Ray was burning bridges left and right tonight. He killed Cookie, leaked Cochran's sex tape, reported the body at Ezra's wife's building, and lost Steven as a private client (along with the income that came with him). Is Ezra going to keep Ray on now that he's turned on him? If not, how is he going to support his family now?

Just binge-watched. Love the show, and looking forward to its return. But yes, I agree with y'all, this felt like a series finale. Everything was wrapped up.

ethalfrida, I love the character of Mickey too. What an entertaining psychopath.

Question: Is Bunchy supposed to be r*******/special needs? I've been wondering that from the start, and still can't figure it out.