Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ShaNaeNae
  • Start Topic

Probably because it was getting into creepy/obsessive territory.

Yes, it was. There's snark, then there's stalking someone who's not emotionally able to handle it, possibly. I wanted everyone to cool off a bit, and I'll unlock it later tonight when the episode airs.

I've never been worried about someone on a reality show before, but based on what she's posted online, I think Dani may not be in a good place right now. Let's all be cognizant of that and leave her alone. It's fair game to post about things said and done in an episode, it's not OK to speculate about someone's finances, possible criminal activity, or anything that might be considered libelous.

• Love 11

I was annoyed by a lot of things in this episode but Danny's dad remarks were just infuriating. Just because you're a racist, backward asshat that doesn't mean your opinions are shared by the entire nation as he implied. I can't imagine him ever accepting Amy and if I were her I'd want to move far far away from him. Danny's mum seemed really nice and open minded though, how on earth did she end up marrying that moron is beyond me.

Even though I've been keeping up with this thread since the ep aired last weekend (and I missed it), and I KNEW EXACTLY what was coming, I still couldn't get through the scenes with Danny's dad without shouting at my TV. Bigotry is so infuriating. I am seething.

(On a lighter note, I was not at all prepared for Danny's dad's wannabe-Trump hairstyle.)

But can I ask a question? Earlier in the ep, when Daya and Liverlips were scouting locations, this flashed onscreen.

imagejpg1.jpg

Y'all. WTF????

• Love 3

I'm kind of glad it did. When someone suggested bring the lady here (here, to this website) I felt very creeped out and was going to respond with those feelings in mind. I feel sorry for her at this point. I'm sure she knew she'd get people talking about her relationship, but probably didn't have the capacity to think that people would be making fun of her appearance as much as they have. That,

and with the relationship probably going south, she's hurting bad right now most likely.

• Love 2

Even though I've been keeping up with this thread since the ep aired last weekend (and I missed it), and I KNEW EXACTLY what was coming, I still couldn't get through the scenes with Danny's dad without shouting at my TV. Bigotry is so infuriating. I am seething.

(On a lighter note, I was not at all prepared for Danny's dad's wannabe-Trump hairstyle.)

But can I ask a question? Earlier in the ep, when Daya and Liverlips were scouting locations, this flashed onscreen.imagejpg1.jpg

Y'all. WTF????

Lol...illiteracy is fun.

• Love 1

She did not express any disapproval of Darth Jennifer during the vicious attack, or when she met with Jason later.

She guilted him for not involving his family in "emotions, in love, engagement, talking about marriage."

She totally ignored his concerns, his feelings, by telling HIM that HE should "be fair to [his] family, especially Jake and Jenny."  That's right.  She made Justin the bad guy here.  He is the one that was unfair to his family.  ESPECIALLY Darth Jennifer and his arrogant brother.

She made zero effort trying to understand Justin's point of view and reaching out to him.  Instead, she said "Can you understand their point of view?"  Again, she is making Justin the BAD GUY.  He is the one that must conform to the dysfunctional agenda that she set out for him.

That idiot Evelin chimed in "I want Justin to spend more time with Jake" - really.  She can't see the intense discomfort Justin feels with his dysfunctional family, when it's painfully obvious?  I want to slap her until she does.

Then we get into the high octane manipulation.  She turns into a weeping victim/waif.  "the most important thing that makes me cry (whimpers) is the relationship of my kids, cause you're all I have."  Yes.  Her golden child Jake and his golden bride Darth Jennifer.  Jason is the family scapegoat.  It's all his fault, but god forbid he tries to make a run for it and get away from the dysfunction, Marth Vader is going to reel him back with the tears and Jake-the-Enforcer, and Jennifer-the-Pitbull.

Next thing you know she's using Evelin as a proxy in her war against Justin, conspiring with her to isolate and break Justin.

Justin will have everybody in his world against him.  His manipula-mom, his bride, his smug brother, and his angry drunken wife.  I wouldn't want to be him.

YES, YES, YES. All of this. 

I start to shake every time I watch Justin and his family. It hits close to home, because my in-laws are exactly like this. Even creepier, they hail from the same city and my SIL's name is the same as heinous Darth Vader's! Without going too deeply into my own story, which doesn't belong here, I recognize that pitiful look of martyrdom on Justin's mom's face. She's the type that constantly "plays the mom card" in order to manipulate her children into staying close. Playing the mom card was how my MIL roped my husband into inviting her and my own Darth Vader SIL to our wedding (like Justin and Evelin, we were going to elope--but then my excited husband-to-be spilled the beans ahead of time). Then the same scenario was repeated when SIL got married. Every family event turns into "I don't know how many years I have left to see my children together...*sniff, sniff*." Like Justin, my husband can't stand his sibling, but she and the MIL always act like their lives together were straight out of a Rockwell painting.

Justin's mom gives off so many signals that point to this same type of manipulation that I've seen so often in my MIL. Her children are special snowflakes whose relationships must be preserved at all costs. She knows that tears will ensure sympathy for the plight of motherhood, and she pleads "...but the FAMILY!" more than Charlie Manson ever did. To these types of women, their family is superior to all others and, like Justin's mom says, they're a team! *massive eyeroll* The most aggressively hateful family member (Darth Jen) must be coddled and never told that she's rude or wrong. The "outsider"/fiance, on the other hand, is placed under immediate suspicion and scrutiny (in my case, I was a native Californian and college student who'd been earning my own way since the age of 15, and an all-around upstanding citizen, but I received the same suspicion that Evelin has been subjected to, because the son/brother is considered such a catch in his mother's and sister's eyes!). 

Justin and, especially, Evelin, need to run far away. The thing is, the manipulation and brave motherly tears and supplications won't stop with the wedding. If they have kids, the MIL/BIL/SIL will be butting in constantly. Any time that anything happens in that family, Evelin will be expected to cater to her MIL and be the problem-solver, just as she is now. Justin's mother is an emotional vampire who will suck her family dry. In my own case, I stay as far away as possible, but my SIL did manage to ruin my wedding that my MIL invited her to (that's right; I had no say, despite being the bride). That day still represents such a nightmarish scenario to me that I don't even display my wedding photos; I don't want to remember it. I fear a similar outcome for these two. So Evelin, listen to Justin (this one time only)!

Edited by SinInTheCamp
  • Love 3

Mohammed and Dani just make me uncomfortable and sad.

As disgusting as Danny's father's opinions and behavior were, I'm glad they showed him in all his racist glory. Amy (and TLC viewers) need to see how racism is really articulated in this country -- most racists are not overall-wearing hillbillies, nor wearing white hoods nor even living down south. 

I bet he will have nothing to do with the children Danny and Amy end up having.

And they'll be better off for it.

Danny and his mom both had a responsibility to speak up. Amy certainly shouldn't have to, not on a first meeting!

I certainly don't expect her to be combative but she could have taken that teaching moment to let her father-in-law to be that while apartheid -- which was active only 20 years ago -- crippled the country socially, it was overcome and now the races in SA are cooperating to make Cape Town and other cities internationally competitve and attractive to visit. Mandela's presidency didn't end racism there any more than Obama's ended it here. Amy's too young to remember seeing Whites Only signs but I don't buy that she thinks SA is some race utopia. Does she not consider apartheid as much a part of her personal history since she's mixed race? If so she unfortunately just got a good intro to the US' historical "one drop rule" and she's much to immature to marry, especially into this family.

• Love 5

Cassia just needs to go.....shes a selfish control freak! If this is how Jason makes his money to provide then she needs to deal with it and move on! Cant have a roof over your head and food in your gut and clothes on your back dummy if he aint working! She drives me MENTAL just looking at her!!!!

I sincerely hope Mo just wanted to know how long it takes to get a green card so that he can start working and contribute to the household.  Chelsea is one selfish lady!  I feel for Yamir. 

• Love 3

Oh. My. I'm not even sure I can express my thoughts about the trainwreck that is this show.

Did anyone else notice that the lawyer was billed onscreen as an "immigration lawyer"? Funny.....his window sign didn't say anything about that. I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of work for immigration law in Norwalk, Oh.

• Love 3

Someone should chloroform Danny's dad and cut out his vocal chords with a dull knife.  Everything this world-class A-hole spouts out is profoundly offensive and makes everyone cringe and want to disappear.  Can't he see the deep shame his own wife is drowning in every time he makes the colossal mistake of opening his mouth and exposing his ignorance, hate and bitterness to the world?  Make the world a better place and never say another word your whole life, douchebag.

• Love 15

For Jason - this is what happens when you are a middle aged man trying to have a relationship with a 23 yr old.  I can't even get mad at Cassia.. she's basically a kid and she probably wants to go out and have fun and party.  At 23, I had started my career, but I still had a lot of energy and wanted to go out and do things with young people.  Cassia isn't going to enjoy being jammed between you and your dad in your shitty El Camino perusing drug seize auctions in Geriatrictown USA.  She's far from home, in an unfamiliar place, and doesn't know anyone.  I don't find it surprising that she'd have what amounted to a panic attack and cry.

• Love 18

My jaw dropped when Danny's dad said he would not view Amy as a daughter and basically said he hoped for cold feet. I did not buy his half assed attempt at a turn around. Asshole. Poor Danny's mom.

I also laughed when he or Danny (I forget which, sorry) said they had so many of Amy's family members to meet like it was a huge chore. Like, have they seen their own family?

• Love 5

I must applaud Mo. He doesn't even pretend that he's nervous about leaving the "love of his life" if things don't work out with Danielle. Straight no chaser, he doesn't want to be on the hook for her debt and I bet she has a lot of it.

I cannot wait for this wedding ceremony. I want to see the special moment that will be their first kiss.

• Love 14

Danny's dad started out being the bigoted ass that he is, however, he did seem to come around.  It is nice to see Amy use her sweetness and charm to break down his walls a bit.  (alcohol probably helped too)

• Love 1

There were audible groans when Justin and Evelin came on screen and cheers when DaniMo and JaCass were there as well.   I haven't had anything to drink, so I won't go into details on Danny's dad, but we really felt sorry for Mohammed.  I think he's in a tough place, and Dani knows it.  The crying, oh, the crying. For the love of god woman, have a little bit of dignity!  She's playing poor Mo and he doesn't even know it.   It was sort of sweet/sad/swad?  when he said he would stay for the girls and to help get them back on track.   I know he's in it for the GC, but I think he knows that Danielle is a complete mess.  I have no hope for those kids.  

The bonus clip:  no words.   

• Love 1

I felt bad for Cassia and the heartless jackass she will come to regret marrying, if she doesn't listen to her instincts and ditch him. I know she said "leave me alone" but shit, that's a cry for help, you don't just walk away to your stupid junk auction, you cold-blooded reptile. What's more important, this very young woman that left literally everything she's ever known to be jammed on an non-seat in your pauper's ride, including an education, to help you sell literal shit on ebay, or the lure of more worthless crap to mail out to hoarders?

Jason made no effort, he has no compassion, no sympathy, no diplomacy.

I hope she soon grows tired of being the trophy possession of such as insensitive buffoon.

Edited by cooksdelight
Posting spoiler, social media information
  • Love 5

What did everyone think about Dani and Mo tonight?

FYI it is not spoiler info, which I just read cannot be shared on this thread ( that's a good idea)very interesting about the credit situation in Ohio- I wonder if that is true for all spouses in all states?

What was everyone's thoughts on tonight's episode

Edited by cooksdelight
Posting spoiler/preview information

I felt so badly for Yamir tonight. To leave everything he knows, a successful career, a semi-hot boy band and moves to a country where he doesn't even speak the language for a woman who can't even move down the road from her family for him.

I appreciate his compromise. Give that Podunk town one year and then get the hell out.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 4

Here's what I don't get. WTH is Cassia doing with Jason in the first place?

He is not wealthy or sophisticated or cosmopolitan or a professional/educated person.

Brazil is not a backwater, impoverished wasteland. Surely, Cassia has had opportunities for success and happiness?

Maybe it's me? But I find Jason to be slimy, slippery, creepy, poor, physically unattractive, insensitive and moronic. What does he have to offer Cassia? Yes yes -- the green card. But don't pretend you're jealous or neglected, then. It's ridiculous!

I give up. I am too dopey to understand the mentality of these people. I want to understand, but I cannot.

• Love 10

I don't think Chelsea is necessarily wrong about Chicago right now, if they can't afford it, they can't afford it. A year is a good compromise, but it would have been nice if she had countered, if we have x amount of money saved sooner then we go sooner or if she got a well paying job there. I don't know that they will make decent salaries as an aspiring musician and whatever someone who volunteered for years can do. I presume Chicago has a high cost of living. But yeah, I think they should have stayed in Nicaragua in the first place; but now that they are in the US I don't think staying at her parents' home for a bit is terrible if Chelsea is truly willing to follow through with the compromise.

Eta: they could probably rent a place in her parents' town too for far cheaper than rent in Chicago for a bit. I don't want to imply that I think they should mooch off her parents. I am not saying I don't think Chelsea is selfish, but I think they need a plan before they go to Chicago both without jobs. And living in a cheaper town for a bit to save isn't the worst idea.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 5

Farah, anything regarding preview information needs to be posted in the Media Links, Spoilers thread. This thread is for an episode from previous weeks ago. Thanks.

So sorry did not realize this was a thread from weeks ago! Gosh I'm clueless with this thread business

My apologizes and will erase!

Thanks

I don't think Chelsea is necessarily wrong about Chicago right now, if they can't afford it, they can't afford it. A year is a good compromise, but it would have been nice if she had countered, if we have x amount of money saved sooner then we go sooneror if she got a well paying job there. I don't know that they will make decent salaries as an aspiring musician and whatever someone who volunteered for years can do. I presume Chicago has a high cost of living. But yeah, I think they should have stayed in Nicaragua in the first place; but now that they are in the US I don't think staying at her parents' home for a bit if Chelsea is truly willing to follow through with the compromise.

I think it seems to be a responsible decision on his part.  However, if he wants to get into entertainment, you strike while the iron is hot... i.e parlaying off of the album his band just put out and the popularity of this show.  If he waits a year he may miss whatever opportunity he had. 

Edited by GracieK
  • Love 7

I get the impression that, for reasons known only to him, Jason thought that bringing in a non-American bride (and a much younger one at that) would give him a compliant little wifey who would just get with his program. I think it's hilarious that he now has a tiger by the tail and doesn't seem to know what to do. I just don't see her settling into life with him, dad, and the early bird buffet.

As for Mo....if he thinks things are bad now, just wait. I live in small town KY and am very well acquainted with the Danis of the world. She could not become a responsible wife and mother at this point for love or money. I think Mo will be living out that truism.....when you marry for money (or a green card) you earn every penny of it.

• Love 10

At least Chelshea acknowledged that Yamir gave up a lot to come to America. But her little speech should have been followed with, "But no way am I doing the same for you." She tells him that his dream is her dream. Must be as long as it doesn't take her out of her rent-free basement, it's her dream. Spoiled, selfish twat.

• Love 4

Oh Jason, let me explain what "spending time together" is. It's doing things that are interesting to both of you, it's having a conversation about things that interest BOTH of you. Spending time together is not going to an auction fr 5 hours rummaging through and buying old crap, while your fiancee sits in a chair. Its not having your dad do a ride along. Ugh, he is so freaking clueless. And what kind of crap are people buying. Oy! Once Cassia gets her working papers and a job, she will start going out and having fun not with Jason. My Christmas wish is that they show the trainwreck Vegas wedding start to finish.

Justin bores me.

As for Chelsea, it certainly did seem like her mom was encouraging them to move.  Chelsea doesn't want to move because she won't have her parents to fall back on. Fall back on=live off of. 

Brett gets an apartment. Why the eff didn't he do that the first day Daya got there? 

Dani and Mo, can they be anymore messed up? Raise your hand if you believe Mo wants his green card to come fast so he can start bringing home the bacon. Anyone? I'm not sure what the rules are, but I suspect they must live together for a certain period of time. After that, INS isn't involved and Mo can leave. He probably has a calendar in his pocket with the date circled. On a snarky note, Danielle seems to have  a nice bedroom set (sans the teddy bears at the end of the bed). I wonder if that was one of the bills she didn't pay. I laughed when the "lawyer" said it takes so long to get a green cad because there is a lot  of fraud. I swear I saw Mo's eye twitch.

Danny's dad=racist pig 

• Love 10

I am trying to figure out Chelsea's appeal but I am stumped. She's not pretty. She doesn't have an especially nice figure. She seems bottom heavy and flabby. Her hair is stringy and dirty looking. Her grooming seems questionable. She's selfish. She's unemployed. She offers nothing.

• Love 8

Nothing much positive in the episode. Chelsea is determined to tank Yamir's career, Danny's dad is still an asshole, Jason is a clueless jerk, Danielle is a whimpering mess, Evelin has fallen into the family blackhole, and Bret's moobs were in full glory. OK, I'll give him credit for finding a place without the two roommates.

I might not be so cranky if the network hadn't decided to toggle this show, the one I wanted to watch, with the the live shots of the insufferable Theresa Caupto running around, squealing, in some woman's front yard. I was waiting for her to pull a green card out of that 60's blonde wig for the tie in. I could hardly focus on the unhappy couples for all the promotional crap going on. This whole hour was a letdown.

• Love 6
I might not be so cranky if the network hadn't decided to toggle this show, the one I wanted to watch, with the the live shots of the insufferable Theresa Caupto running around, squealing, in some woman's front yard.

TLC pulled a Bravo on us, tricking us and our DVRs into thinking the ep was an hour and 15 min. Theresa Caputo and her con game need to get off my TV. God, she is as bad as those so called psychics who say things like "I see an S or an M or a T". Well yeah, I'm sure most everyone could come up with at least one person whose name starts with one of those letters. Duh. 

• Love 16

I am trying to figure out Chelsea's appeal but I am stumped. She's not pretty. She doesn't have an especially nice figure. She seems bottom heavy and flabby. Her hair is stringy and dirty looking. Her grooming seems questionable. She's selfish. She's unemployed. She offers nothing.

She's a blonde American girl who can fluently communicate with him and pimped herself out as being from a family with wealth in the land of opportunity.

• Love 4

Nothing whatsoever about Theresa Caputo makes sense to me, from the absurd fingernails, to the screechy voice, to the awful hair, to the fake "readings."  The whole "knock and shock" thing seemed very contrived.  Those ladies were really dressed in their Sunday best, with impeccable hair, and ready to receive visitors at a moment's notice?  Yeah, right.  I think the fingernails bother me the most.  I mean, how does she do anything with those protuberances hanging off of her fingertips?  I don't understand and I don't think I care to either.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6