Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ShaNaeNae
  • Start Topic

I want to jump in on Justin and Evelin's behalf - he seems to take quite a beating on here.  My brother is very similar to Justin, he's a super private person and always has been.  When he married his first wife, he didn't tell anyone for 3 months (that she was a whack job played a lot into that) and when he left her, she told my mom before he told anyone.  When he remarried, he had a beach wedding with just our family and her immediate family (they came from Japan), so he doesn't shut us out completely.  Now, unfortunately, it hasn't worked out but we don't know why and we don't even know if he's divorced or just separated. He just tells us the bare facts that he thinks we need to know.  He keeps his problems to himself, and we do our best to respect the boundaries he sets.  He lives across the country from us, but he visits several times a year, we vacation together and he plays games online while skyping with my kids.  If my brother was on that show (which he would die first and I really can't figure out why Justin did it), he would likely come across as detached and weird as everyone sees Justin, when in fact he's pretty much exactly opposite.

Also, going back to E1 when he showed Evelin the sink of dishes for her to do?  Totally staged.  A guy who has a sinkful of dishes wouldn't have the rest of his place neat looking like Justin's did.  It would look like a frat house, with piles of clothes on the floor/couch, Sports Illustrated and Maxim magazines on the coffee table along with half empty glasses of milk and empty potato chip bags.  I didn't see any crumbs on the counter by the sink or jars of peanut butter and an open loaf of bread.  Either that whole "king of the bedroom/queen of the kitchen" schtick was an inside joke between them, or it was production setup.

• Love 9

What I want to know is why is Chelsea hugging Cassia rather than Yamir.

I've been saying this since day one. Chelsea is not that into him. She always ditches his kisses. Either that or he has a bad aim. Always forehead, cheek etc, never mouth

I actually agree that Justin is a really private person and I like him and Evelin. I do think that they were quiet during the reunion because like Aya and whatshisname from the first season they probably did not like their experience doing the show too much.

But I wonder, why did they sign up for the show? I could be wrong, but I am guessing they cast more from a pool of Americans. I could see it if Evelin wanting to do the show since she is the more outgoing one. I am just having a hard time seeing Justin wanting to be on reality tv.

• Love 1

I thought Justin and Evelin were one of the more obviously staged couples.  I even had a feeling that the very first sister in law scene was staged... I mean, come on -- who whispers like that?  I've never seen anyone use their lips and tongue to eee-NUN-cee-ATE so slowly and specifically when she whisper-yelled, "Shee's YOU-zzing HIM for a GREEEN card!"

Another scene was the dishes/washing machine comment, which I agree seemed staged, but I thought it was more of a joke that fell flat.  I really thought that he was trying to be funny and that it was either edited to look otherwise, or he's the worst joke teller in the universe.  I could be wrong, but when he said that I thought, "uh-oh" and then he caught a lot of backlash from that. 

There are other scenes, but their story was a little bit uninteresting to me -- although they were my favorite couple.

I actually agree that Justin is a really private person and I like him and Evelin. I do think that they were quiet during the reunion because like Aya and whatshisname from the first season they probably did not like their experience doing the show too much.

But I wonder, why did they sign up for the show? I could be wrong, but I am guessing they cast more from a pool of Americans. I could see it if Evelin wanting to do the show since she is the more outgoing one. I am just having a hard time seeing Justin wanting to be on reality tv.

I wondered that too but then realized that they're probably like a couple of the other couples who were under the impression that the show would focus on the K1 process and that most of the other extra filming was simply to find cute/good filler, which as we all know isn't what happens.

I thought Justin and Evelin were one of the more obviously staged couples.  I even had a feeling that the very first sister in law scene was staged... I mean, come on -- who whispers like that?  I've never seen anyone use their lips and tongue to eee-NUN-cee-ATE so slowly and specifically when she whisper-yelled, "Shee's YOU-zzing HIM for a GREEEN card!"

Another scene was the dishes/washing machine comment, which I agree seemed staged, but I thought it was more of a joke that fell flat.  I really thought that he was trying to be funny and that it was either edited to look otherwise, or he's the worst joke teller in the universe.  I could be wrong, but when he said that I thought, "uh-oh" and then he caught a lot of backlash from that. 

There are other scenes, but their story was a little bit uninteresting to me -- although they were my favorite couple.

I have known someone much like the sister in law so her actions didn't surprise me. What did surprise me, after seeing the entire season, is why production bothered using their story. Other than the staged stuff they were just a nice happy couple and for that reason, should have been left on the cutting room floor.

• Love 1

But I wonder, why did they sign up for the show?

This is the first season I have watched, but I am assuming the couples get paid for the show?  So, that would be quite the incentive, especially since whoever the American is marrying cannot work for quite awhile.  I always thought that Evelin and Justin were the most established couple of the group when filming began.  I do think for most of the couples, situations were staged to add to the drama but that is true for most reality TV.

My opinion is that Justin thinks he's laid back cool.  It comes across as boring and douchy (douchey?) to me.  I don't think they did it for the $ from the show (as it is just a few thousand).  Perhaps they thought it would help launch a career for Evelyn.  I think she wants to be an actress?

Justin is educated enough and has probably seen enough reality shows that he should know better.  Unless they dub in someone else's voice, I don't care to hear about 'editing' from people who choose to be on one of these reality shows.

• Love 1

I don't care to hear about 'editing' from people who choose to be on one of these reality shows.

Whereas I tend to be interested at those kind of peeks behind the curtain. The lack of dissection of events made for a dreary reunion show. There are ways of suggesting all was not what it seemed without flat out stating it was all a show for the cameras, "bad edit" is one of those end runs. I don't know how much participants are really allowed to say when they go along with staged scenarios or allow themselves to be put into positions where there will be real life fallout for letting cameras record a private moment. I'm thinking particularly of Brett's idiotic decision to question his mother about her attitude to Daya while both his fiancee and the cameras were present. It's interesting that he doesn't seem to regret that.  I think it can be a fine line between complaining that you were on the receiving end of a negative, embarrassing, manipulated portrayal and simply noting that inaccuracy was shown and explaining the larger context. I've read plenty of theorizing on this and other sites as to why someone behaved the way he/she did, some ridiculously elaborate with little grounding in what aired, I'm interested to hear the participants take on the events.

This is the first season I have watched, but I am assuming the couples get paid for the show?  So, that would be quite the incentive, especially since whoever the American is marrying cannot work for quite awhile.  I always thought that Evelin and Justin were the most established couple of the group when filming began.  I do think for most of the couples, situations were staged to add to the drama but that is true for most reality TV.

They do get paid but it's an extremely low amount. Not the high dollars many think.

• Love 1

Whereas I tend to be interested at those kind of peeks behind the curtain. 

Justin is educated enough and has probably seen enough reality shows that he should know better.  Unless they dub in someone else's voice, I don't care to hear about 'editing' from people who choose to be on one of these reality shows.

I am not uninterested in the behind the scenes activities.  What I am not interested in, is excuses by reality show participants who use editing as an excuse after they don't like the way they are portrayed.

• Love 4

For no good reason, this thought popped into my head tonight (because I was obsessed with 90D and there's nothing on TV in January, no doubt...). Justin is a teacher, isn't he? I mean, PE coach, or coaches something - but in a school setting. Of COURSE we're seeing a different guy at the end than the beginning. Certainly he was more low key, even trying to be invisible (while, thankfully, not hiding behind his wife's shoulder). He started filming in summer, in shorts and flip flops, it probably seemed like something he could pull off. Then... school started... Then... The show started to air... Then he had to walk the halls of that school with every kid in there waiting like a spider to throw their two-cents-worth in the mix. I'm no psychologist, but hey, I GET this one. He seems like a fairly private guy, don't know why he opted to film (did the family talk him into it?). But my money says that every day of his life walking into that school packed with kids who know EVERYTHING (and can't resist sharing) grew to be very tiring before the season ended. Poor baby. Makes me want to hide behind Mo's other shoulder and cry a little.

Edited by cooksdelight
Removing media link from episode thread
  • Love 2

True, but it is discouraging when otherwise intelligent people choose to believe snark over common sense. Specifically the change-of-voice edits and the CPS rumor. And who among us wouldn't question a big ugly diamond with a black spot in it? It's been like a kind of mass hysteria up in here. It wasn't fun.

I would totally question a black spot in a diamond in a heart beat. We also saw Brett himself say he was suppose to get roses and that the florist messed up. I hated how that entire thing was presented because people glommed on to Daya's reaction rather than why she reacted that way.

• Love 2

Lola16, on 09 Jan 2015 - 7:15 PM, said:

I am not uninterested in the behind the scenes activities. What I am not interested in, is excuses by reality show participants who use editing as an excuse after they don't like the way they are portrayed.

True, but it is discouraging when otherwise intelligent people choose to believe snark over common sense. Specifically the change-of-voice edits and the CPS rumor. And who among us wouldn't question a big ugly diamond with a black spot in it? It's been like a kind of mass hysteria up in here. It wasn't fun.

This is the place for snark.  I wouldn't post snarky things on their private Twitter or Facebook pages but in a forum for discussing and snarking on TV shows, heck yeah!

I've worked in production.  There are a lot of things that impact sound.  Such as the crew being in the room with the boom mic and then leaving, the door closing and only the mic packs recording the sound.   Yes, there's also editing.   And they can move spoken lines around.  I've done it.  (Not to make people look bad but to avoid another take.)   I choose to believe Danielle went all Linda Blair on Mohammed in that scene.  Why?  Because it's possible and it's funny.  I watch to be amused.

Don't know the CPS rumor.  Don't think that was on the show but I could have missed it.

As for the spotty diamond... well, which is it?  Did Daya complain because she was upset/concerned or was it because she was 'acting' or because the producers put her up to it?  Feels like the goal post is moving.  My opinion on Daya is that she had a long flight, Brett was late and showed up with his mother, and she really wasn't up to all the filming nonsense at that moment.  I think they captured her accurately in that moment.  We all have bad moments.  I'd suggest she own it and stop with conflicting excuses. 

• Love 4

Don't know the CPS rumor.  Don't think that was on the show but I could have missed it.

Could someone say what the CPS rumor is. If it is OK to mention it, it should be OK to clarify.  This isn't a spoiler thread.  TIA.

Just to clarify, people here on a 90 day fiance visa can get work authorization. For technical reasons and to save filing fees, people typically just wait for a conditional green card instead.

• Love 1

I don’t understand on how they sold their “true love” to immigration. That's the puzzle piece that boggles my mind. And Angie (her former friend) wanting Mo?! Ahhh it's those sexy man boobs. 

I love the hard hitting questions. Are you all in it for the green card? Are you and Danielle truthful about your relationship?  

Maybe immigration is thinking that their relationship may be a joke, but if they allow Mo to stay, at least one of them is contributing something to American society.

• Love 1

I am with a Tunisian, Christian man who is nothing like this one. He and I love each other and have been together for over 2 years now. There is a bigger age gap with us. I knew from the start that this Mohamed guy was using Danielle for US Citizenship because he did not show the love for her at all. I feel that she saw this nice-looking guy who was young and showed interest in her, at first, and I think she was overwhelmed. Sometimes your heart won't let your brain think correctly. I knew when I first saw them that this wasn't going to work.

• Love 1

I am with a Tunisian, Christian man who is nothing like this one. He and I love each other and have been together for over 2 years now. There is a bigger age gap with us. I knew from the start that this Mohamed guy was using Danielle for US Citizenship because he did not show the love for her at all. I feel that she saw this nice-looking guy who was young and showed interest in her, at first, and I think she was overwhelmed. Sometimes your heart won't let your brain think correctly. I knew when I first saw them that this wasn't going to work.

I'm happy for you he treats you better & I wish you all the best.

However, knowing what I know, I really recommend you spend some good hours reading up on www.tunisianloverats.com. 

• Love 1

I think she knew full well what she was getting into. She said in an interview that she'd been conned/down this road before. Mo wasn't her first Tunisian and he won't be her last.

Hello, people.
I just want to let you guys know that, after almost one year waiting, I got my permanent resident card.
It was a great victory for Jason and I and we plan on doing amazing things together. I plan on getting back in college soon and we have a small business working with car dealerships and it is doing great.
You guys can watch the update episode in October, I think. Big surprises on TLC!

You can watch me opening my letter here

https://www.facebook.com/jasonandcassia :)

Thanks, guys!

• Love 14

Hello, people.

I just want to let you guys know that, after almost one year waiting, I got my permanent resident card.

It was a great victory for Jason and I and we plan on doing amazing things together. I plan on getting back in college soon and we have a small business working with car dealerships and it is doing great.

You guys can watch the update episode in October, I think. Big surprises on TLC!

You can watch me opening my letter here

https://www.facebook.com/jasonandcassia :)

Thanks, guys!

Late to the party -- Congratulations on getting your card!

I really, really, really hope you are able to stick with your plan of going to college.  You are clearly a very smart woman and I think education will open up so many doors for you.  

I didn't have much of an opinion on them until I read their site, now I think they're awesome. I'm rooting for them. I really think they'll make it.

Cassia has a genuine, quick wit that was never shown on the show.

I can't stop reading their website! I've fallen down the hole..

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

I don't understand why TLC didn't show the real Jason and Cassia. They're so interesting and funny just the way they are so I don't get why they were portrayed the way they were. TLC is stupid.

Tell them they have a fan in California who's a grandma.

• Love 3

That's great. I'm way late too but congratulations!!

I've been reading Jason and Cassia's website all day and I'm loving them. Cassia is hilarious, I love how she deals with all of the online assholes.

She variously calls them old, ugly, and whores.

Personally, I am less than impressed with her "wit."

• Love 3

I don't understand why TLC didn't show the real Jason and Cassia. They're so interesting and funny just the way they are so I don't get why they were portrayed the way they were. TLC is stupid.

Tell them they have a fan in California who's a grandma.

Hello! Thanks very much for reading our website. I will post new things in there soon. When Jason and I travel to California we will let you know! Maybe we can do something :)

Are you liking the new season?

• Love 2

Hey Cassia! Nice to "meet" you. You should come to San Francisco, its a beautiful city.

I'm not sure about the new season yet. So far the best part is reading your comments about each episode.

I think Loren cries too much and I hate how Aleksandra is made to feel like a bad person because she used to wear short skirts and liked to party. There's nothing wrong with that. Her fiancee's parents have a stick up their asses. So does Melanie's sister.

I don't have a favorite couple yet this season.

Edited by Maharincess

I just noticed my DVR is recording season 2 eps. I guess TLC is doing a marathon. I never saw this season so even though I shouldn’t devote even more time to this franchise, I know I’m not strong enough to resist. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1