Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: 6 Months Later

• Start Topic

I know she is a labor and delivery nurse, but why wasn't she able to give any help to Doug when he got stung by a jellyfish on their honeymoon? Don't nurses learn any first aid? Babies who get stung by jellyfish are SOL?

I know she is a labor and delivery nurse, but why wasn't she able to give any help to Doug when he got stung by a jellyfish on their honeymoon? Don't nurses learn any first aid? Babies who get stung by jellyfish are SOL?

My brother is a psychiatric nurse, and yes, he learned care across the spectrum. He has said, however, that many medical professionals of all stripes become reluctant to step out of their specialties, and that reluctance grows over time. So it's possible - and I don't know, I'm just speculating - that Jamie sees herself very specifically as a labor and delivery nurse. If she were in her work environment, a hospital, there would be other people to care for a jellyfish sting as well.

In other words, this might be a form of brain freeze or a sense of limitations. That's not to say it's right, it's just a possible explanation. It could also be that she's inept, spacey, or a jerk. I don't know the woman beyond an edited version I've seen on TV, so I don't know.

• Love 1

Well, I would hope that the medical professionals who are "reluctant to step out of their specialties" would at least be willing to perform CPR to help someone breathe, or the Heimlich maneuver if someone was choking.  I don't care if Jamie is a pediatric nurse, seems to me she could have "stepped out of her specialty" to do something for Doug's foot, instead of just looking at it.  

Let me put it this way: if someone were choking, yeah, my brother would perform the Heimlich maneuver. If someone stepped on a jellyfish, he'd carry them to the car (he's big) and drive them to the ER, but otherwise not do anything other than swear at traffic. If someone were attempting suicidal or other self-destructive behavior, he'd be the hero who talked them down, because he knows how to calm and redirect a person who's about to go over the edge. And of those three scenarios, he'd probably feel the least competent in dealing with the jellyfish sting.

Is it right? Is it logical? Is it what Jamie was thinking? Does anyone know other than Jamie? I don't. I'm just tossing this out to see if it makes her actions and POV a bit more understandable.

• Love 2

Well, I would hope that the medical professionals who are "reluctant to step out of their specialties" would at least be willing to perform CPR to help someone breathe, or the Heimlich maneuver if someone was choking.  I don't care if Jamie is a pediatric nurse, seems to me she could have "stepped out of her specialty" to do something for Doug's foot, instead of just looking at it.

I guess I'm not sure what she was supposed to do. Similar to a bee stings, treatment would be an antihistamine (like Benadryl), hydrocortisone cream, or pain medication (aspirin, Tylenol) to lessen the pain from this sting. They showed her looking through a medical kit which didn't seem to have those things.

Doug wasn't having an allergic reaction which would have required more immediate action, and I'm sure Jamie (and really the film crew as well) would have reacted if he had been. His foot didn't appear to be swelling and he clearly wasn't having trouble breathing. (I'm allergic to bee stings, and become covered in hives within a minute of getting stung. If Doug was having a serious allergic reaction it would have been obvious right away.)

• Love 2

I do agree with Bella's brother's explanation which apply to more complicated procedures, I would think.   Jamie's failing was her lack of a caring response.  But maybe that was the problem:  At that point in the relationship she just didn't give that much of a damn to jump in and perform any sort of loving gesture. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure what Jamie was supposed to do either. Amputate his foot just in case? The only thing I can think of that would help would be some meds and she didn't have those at hand, so what could she do? Being a registered nurse doesn't give you the power to heal people with your touch alone. She did agree to pee on his foot if need be.

• Love 1

Monet had a live chat last night. it was pretty lively and she was bubbly and just as she appears in the show. I talked to her a bit and asked if there would be a do-over. She said one had not been mentioned. I clicked off after about 45 minutes because it became pretty much a repeat of the show. She considers the Dr. a mentor, favorite place to visit is Italy. Another facet of the chat was there were 13 and 14 year olds on camera asking questions and giving opinions...

I guess FYI won't be following Vaughn and Monet because they failed the show by divorcing. That means that anyone who's on MAFS should know if they love fame, they'd better stick to the assigned partner for a few years. I still get the impression that Monet really wanted to be on TV and not having a future on this program ticks her off.

I think if the producers were smart, and the experts were brave and confident in their INSTRUMENTS, they would keep both Vaughn and Monet for the second season of MAFS.

I would be very interested in who the experts would match V and M with in a do-over. Have the experts tweaked their instruments or learned to look beyond the black-and-white of test results, or, perhaps, become a tad more savvy toward their participants' true motivations and limitations?

I would also love see if either Vaughn or Monet act differently with new partners. Have either of them learned that they need to make their own personal adjustments in order to compromise and to have a chance at a LTR? Do either of them truly WANT a LTR?

This show had quite a bit of filler and repetition, so I think it's feasible to have four couples this time around.

Of course, it's my opinion that anybody participating in MAFS has gotta be wackadoodle and famewhorey. And now that people have seen the show and know what to expect, it will be tougher to weed out the poseurs and players. So who knows what trainwreckiness we will be treated to, or if the pool will include good matches for either Vaughn or Monet?

I'm also VERY eager to see if the experts have adjusted their unbending rose-colored glasses and, in my opinion, dumdum demeanors. To me, they saw only what they wanted to see and played the Emperor's New Clothes with the rest.

For example, when Dr Pepper visited Vaughn in his apartment, he asked her to remove her shoes at the front door. Now, I realize Vaughn had already be Chosen at that point, and Dr Pepper knew her visit with cameras was mere formality. But, in my opinion, even a layperson would have commented on Vaughn' s request: "You know Vaughn, I was a little surprised that you asked me to remove my shoes today. I don't believe any of the testing showed you as a militant neat freak? Or was your request based in a cultural habit practiced in your family or acquired in your adulthood? Whatever the reason, suppose your MAFS match proves simpatico with you in almost every way BUT balks at removing her shoes before walking into your home. Is that a deal breaker for you?"

Who knows, maybe Dr Pepper did comment on that topic, but the audience never got to hear it. I would like a little more down-to-earth truthfulness this time rather than the starry-eyed platitudes and pretend know-it-all attitudes from the experts.

I think both Vaughn and Monet would have to be totally bonkers to have another go at this. It's bad enough having to explain one blind marriage and divorce to future dates, I can't even imagine having to explain two. You'd come across as a total glutton for punishment (and fame). I think it's best they stick to normal dating.

• Love 4

Seriously...this isn't the Bachelor where you're just dating someone and if it doesn't work out, well it doesn't work out. And even then people have balked at someone like Emily who got engaged twice through the show and both times it failed. These people are supposed to get married. Why in the hell would either Vaughn or Monet want another divorce to their name in the event things don't work out. And I feel like something like that would further up the possibility of both forcing themselves to stick it out because they wouldn't want to have another failure. Yeah that would just be all kinds of crazy. .No one should want to be on television that badly. In my opinion, this show's premise is built for a fresh new cast every season.

• Love 1

Yes, you're both right, of course! But I think Vaughn said at the reunion that he'd be willing to try the experiment again? I don't remember how Monet replied to the same question though.

These aren't normal people,IMO. I cant think of a single friend or same-age colleague who would be willing to do a show like this. So nothing about former or future participants would surprise me!

When I read that the UK version of MAFS had to be recast three times because of panicked ppl dropping out, I thought, oh! A few sane ones still left!

I do wonder about people who would be willing to go on a reality show like this.  For example, I like Cortney and Jason, they seem like nice people, and I didn't want to believe that they're simply famewhores.  But what reason(s) would any normal person have for wanting to go on a show like this?

And... about the threesome question. Monet said it was a producer thing. They put Vaughn up to it but it was definitely a joke.

Omg! This is in reference to Vaughn wondering aloud about a menage a trois? And Monets shock and alarm reaction?

And now she is asserting it was BS and producer-inspired? Nothing but a joke?

M and V discussed this at the reunion, too, right? No mention of falsity or joking. Still a serious stumbling block?

How can we believe ANYTHING we see on this show moving forward? Or is Monet being purposely subversive now?

This is a true Wow! to me.

• Love 3

Is Dr. C married or otherwise in a partnership? If not, I'd like to see him apply these tools to himself and any of the so-called "experts" who might be unattached.

That could be entertaining. "The tools work! They're perfect! But my spouse lied and therefore made them invalid." Yeah, sure.

• Love 1

Does anyone think the producers care how annoyed many viewers were with the over the top promotion of Jamie and Dr. Cilona's excessive protection and devotion to Jamie? Especially since they got such high ratings? 

I think the producers care about getting sufficient ratings to be renewed, because that equals money. Past that, they may be at least marginally interested in the show, maybe moreso. But if the show doesn't make money, they don't care if Jamie spends the rest of her life reciting Shakespearean sonnets to a teddy bear, and they don't care if Dr. C tries to match up elephants with black widow spiders.

YMMV.

• Love 1

Does anyone think the producers care how annoyed many viewers were with the over the top promotion of Jamie and Dr. Cilona's excessive protection and devotion to Jamie? Especially since they got such high ratings?

I think as long as they get the ratings they do not care about anything else as evidenced by the spin off. Having a tv camera in your face for the first year of marriage is going to add strain to an already new relationship but hey the network gets more ratings so lets do that. The producers say that it is more documentry style than 'reality tv' with little producer interference so it will be interesting to see if that continues in the spin off. I love how mature Cortney was but it was boring, Jamie claims that she has learnt her lesson and her behavior has changed but I am incredibly sceptical. If it is just shiny loving relationships then I am going to be bored. It was the bad behavior of Monet, Vaughn & Jamie that seemed to generate the most dicussion and now we only have Jamie left.

I really do have my fingers crossed for Jason & Cortney that they make it long term, but then I do wonder if we will see more fights that bring the ratings. Jamie & Doug I hope we do see an improvement in Jamie's attitude but life long reactions can not be broken that quick no matter how many time she tells us that Dr C changed that with his super amazing session. While Doug is 'tough' in Jamie's words and the abuse doesn't bother him I can not imagine his family & friends sitting back and saying that the treatment he recieved was alright. I could not imagine going to work and my co workers seeing my wife treat me like and dog and not give their opinion either. That has to put extra stress on the relationship as well.

If the spin off turns out to be a Jamie redemption arc I am going to be annoyed.

I do believe people are capable of change (for better or worse) and I see nothing wrong with seeking fame. Some people are natural at it. It's not the Jamie and Doug Show, there's also Courtney and Jason.

I am not as skeptical of Jamie as many, having gone through several of my own redemption arcs in life myself LOL.

I don't know if it's been mentioned that this is an American version of a Danish TV show? 

I liked the premise, that marriage takes more than sexual chemistry to make it work, and to prove it, you have to marry someone you just met.  

We saw that premise working with Jaime and Doug as Jaime was not attracted to him at first,  and not so much with Vaughn and Monet who were sexually attracted to each other.  Of course, Cortney and Jason felt like they had "lucked out" in looks at least when they first met and I feel built up their attraction to each other as one would do during dating. 

However, this IS a reality show, so I'm certain that many parts of it were "staged" or scripted to create a certain amount of drama.  I was pulling for all of the couples, and I feel like Monet and Vaughn were set up a little to be the ones to fail.  I really hated the "villianization" of Vaughn because I thought it was rather heavy handed, and Monet didn't have much empathy for her husband's needs at all.  Any need he expressed was an imposition on her.  At least that's what the show portrayed.

However, both of them probably were not "ready" for the huge commitment marriage is.

I will probably watch the next season although the element of surprise for the contestants will be gone I think, and I will probably try to watch the follow up show.  I'm interested to see how Cortney and Jason do.  I would also be interested in the producers checking in on Vaughn and Monet from time to time.  Maybe they will.

And I know it's not a popular opinion, but I did like the "experts" as everyone calls them.  Every thing they said on the show I felt was a true statement about how to create a successful relationship.   I think they were probably very surprised at how unhappy Monet and Vaughn turned out to be.

• Love 1

You can check in on Vaughn and Monet anytime you like. They are on Twitter and post regularly.

At this point, my question is... how many posters here still think the relationships with these couples were real?

At this point, my question is... how many posters here still think the relationships with these couples were real?

I think the mutual dislike between Vaughn and Monet is real.

Past that, I will only say that Jamie seems to be trying too hard, which may or may not reflect what I see as her extreme need for approval.

I think the relationship between Vaugh/Monet was over during the honeymoon but unfortunately they had to play it out for the experiment. So I don't think we seen the real lack of relationship because the producers wanted to keep everyone guessing instead of being honest.

Sorry for those that are fans but I'm still not really buying Jamie/Doug. While Doug seems to be a very nice guy I still don't see him as the type of person Jamie could deal with for long. He's kind of a slob when it comes to appearance and doesn't seem to have much going for himself career wise. I agree with Bella, Jamie just seems to be trying too hard to convince people that she is sooo in love with Doug now. Even though they are supposed to be moving to NJ I wonder if Jamie still has her apt in NY?

Since they were my favorite of course I want to believe Cortney/Jason are for real. One of the things that have me believing they are for real is the involvement of her family now (according to their social media postings). I don't think they would go along with a charade just to satisfy either of their desire for fame.

• Love 3

I was surprised and saddened when Jason said his mother had died shortly after the filming of the show.  It was wonderful that Courtney finally met her, but the timing really made me wonder about Jason's reasons for signing up for the show.  It seems like way too much stress to care for his mother during the last 2 months of her life, get married to a complete stranger and be available for the filming schedule AND work a stressful, time consuming job.  Was he so lonely that he felt this was the only way to have support during this difficult time?  I wish this had been brought up.  He and Courtney are wonderful together and she seems totally supportive of him, but what a situation he willingly put himself in for this "experiment".

Perhaps they should have a black psychologist/expert in on the matchmaking, because I've found in my personal life when white folks try to play matchmaker with me, the criteria is "you're black, he's black, perfect match!"  Umm, like I have a college degree & in a professional job but you want to matchmake me with the Pinkerton security guard.  Ok.  Cuz I'm black, he's black, perfect match, huh?

Sounds that a bit of that may have been going on here with Vaughn & Monet, as well as the fact that one or both of them were not really honest about what they wanted or had no clue as to what they wanted.

Since the second season started, I watched this today.  I totally agree with this.  Too many times white matchmakers think that if I'm black and the man's black, then it's an instant match, even though I'm in a professional job and he's sweeping the floor.  Complete ignorance on their part.

That said, I don't think either Vaughn nor Monet were honest about what type of person they were looking for.  Vaughn wanted a lighter skinned woman, Paula Patton/ Alicia Keys.  And Monet wanted a more successful man.  Maybe they were afraid of appearing shallow on TV if they admitted to what they really wanted, Vaughn didn't want to be perceived as color struck and Monet didn't want to be perceived as a gold-digger.  

I wonder if it was more of a case of trying to have a Black couple on the show to the point where they made a bad pick. This season, they couldn't even avoid getting two White guys with the same first name.

I wonder if it was more of a case of trying to have a Black couple on the show to the point where they made a bad pick. This season, they couldn't even avoid getting two White guys with the same first name.

Yes, I think they saw two Black people, said "eureka" and didn't bother to match-make them.

On an semi-unrelated note the host of the reunion show was giving Monet "f***-me eyes" big time!  A couple of times he looked like he wanted to punch out Vaughn

I think it was because as a black career man, he understands or at least knows how black men are stereotyped,as having no drive, no ambition, only concerned about their sexual prowess/needs. So a career driven, intelligent, attractive  black woman to him is more attractive and he can relate and empathize more with her.

I'm sure to him  Monet was what every man would want and Vaughan did not appreciate her for that.

Vaughn  was being the kind of man a lot of whites think about all black men.

I also don't think Monet was wrong in repeating his comment about a hand job when she was probably in pain. He was crude enough to say it. with no regard for her feeling it hurt her and made her angry.

They were talking about the reason their marriage was doomed,that was one of the many reasons, his need for the attention to his sex need and having  no consideration for her pain/lack of sex desire.

I'm sure at that moment she felt and I agree he was insensitive.

I thought the comment about this guy being thankful his wife worked at nite, etc. was gross, offensiive and TMI, however everyone laughed.

Edited by coloradoqt
  • Love 1

Although I was entertained to hear about the "nothing's wrong with your hand" comment, I still think it was wrong of Monet to tell that. My boyfriend and I joke around a lot and if some of the things we said were taken out of context we would look like idiots too.

I didn't get the idea he was joking. He was crude and insensitive , He din't deny saying it, so why was it wrong for her to repeat it.

Vaughn wouldn't be the first or last black man with a brown mama who preferred light-skinned women. 

This is probably gonna piss a lot of "people" off.  There is nothing more insulting to a black woman than for her man to say he is attracted or whatever the term he uses to the likes of Paula Patton, Alicia Keys, etc. when  the only thing she can see she has in common with these women is they are both female.

My girlfriend's  ex husband told her because he had a decent job, and thought he was God's gift to black women, he should be married to someone like Halle Berry, he made remarks like that to her,about women who had "that look" my girlfriend was a beauty but she was darker, and heavier. He finally stop saying it at least to her face when she told him she would leave him in a heartbeat for a chance deep throat Joe Montana or Dan Marino

My ex-husband said to me one time, he "always thought he would marry a white woman".  not gonna get into what I said to him, but it had something to do with the white woman being angry when she realized it was a myth about what  ALL black men had.

Point being, If she say he said it, he said it.

• Love 2

Let me guess we get to see her cry about how precious this pregnancy is after her miscarriage, how worried she is about losing another baby, how brave she is for not hiding her grief, how she is going to have an awesome mother/daughter relationship unlike her childhood, witness the birth (fluids and all), 5000 photoshoots and sone sickly sweet cooing over the awesomeness of being a parent all while sniping at Doug.

• Love 3
On 12/18/2017 at 10:57 PM, crazychicken said:

Let me guess we get to see her cry about how precious this pregnancy is after her miscarriage, how worried she is about losing another baby, how brave she is for not hiding her grief, how she is going to have an awesome mother/daughter relationship unlike her childhood, witness the birth (fluids and all), 5000 photoshoots and sone sickly sweet cooing over the awesomeness of being a parent all while sniping at Doug.

I think you summed it up perfectly! Don't need to watch it myself since it will be exactly like you said I am sure. I can imagine she will have a book out on parenting next as well to let us all know how she knows it all. *GAG* 

• Love 1

Considering how insufferable Jamie is this wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be.  The baby is beautiful.  I skipped over the first hour and it was still too long.  2 and a half hours?  Are they serious?  I was working on my computer so it was like background noise.  I feel kind of sorry for Jamie that her mother hadn't even met her own granddaughter after 3 months.  Randomly, Doug doesn't look like either of his parents.

This does look like a series but the next 2 episodes are only a half hour each.