Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Ashes, Ashes

• Start Topic

(edited)

The 118 are presented with the Medal of Valor for their work on the cruise ship rescue. Hen and Karen encounter an unforeseen hurdle in their foster care journey. Eddie's emotional affair develops further.

--------

I hate starting episode threads. I got the description from IMDB. If I goofed the formatting, hopefully a mod can fix it.

Edited by possibilities
formatted thread title wrong the first time
(edited)

So the thing is, that was a pretty good hour of television. But it just didn't feel like 9-1-1.

First of all, too relentlessly depressing. What really attracted me to this show in the first place over all the host of other firefighter/medical shows on television was the lighter tone, the great comedy punctuated by the profound and dramatic moments, which were made all the better by the juxtaposition. It wasn't a soap opera about the character's lives with their jobs as just a backdrop.

Second, absolutely no 9-1-1 calls this episode (unless you count the stupid slo-mo perfunctory fire set to, once again, a poor musical choice that had no impact, which I don't). Where are the 9-1-1 calls?

The acting was great as always.

The Eddie story wasn't actually as bad as I feared two episodes ago when this stupid plot started. And yes, I still think it's a stupid plot. It's completely rewriting history to try to make Shannon the love of Eddie's life as if they had some kind of epic saga going on. But really, this was about the best I could hope for — it turning into a way for Eddie to say goodbye — once we had Buck meet her and knew for sure she did, indeed, look exactly like Shannon and wasn't just some kind of delusion Eddie was having. But I feel like 9-1-1 of old wouldn't have gone for the cheap drama of having Marisol and especially Christopher walk in on them. Ugh. Not looking forward to where this now has to go next. That moment would have been right at home on a daytime soap.

Apparently in the rewriting department we also seem to be conveniently forgetting that Bobby has special blood needed to save thousands of children, which is why he really decided he wasn't allowed to commit suicide after saving 148 people. So he accepted he was going to have to live and made himself a life and chose to live it, instead of just exist. I know mental health isn't linear, but just like with Eddie's plot, this feels like we're moving backwards with the character. Bobby better not damn well retire — or die of a heart attack (though I don't think he will). Honestly, the only person I'd really be worried about them killing off is Tommy, since Buck seems to actually be happy, and the show doesn't seem to want any of the characters to carve out even a moment of happiness. Though one more dead "love-of-my-life" and I think I might scream.

Hated Hen's plot. Hated it. The evil, delusional, omnipotent politician story is completely off the rails for this show and seems like cheap drama, again. It was proven that Hen was not responsible for her son's death after the car crash and the mother would know it. And if she's not a deranged psycho, this plot just doesn't happen. Too soap opera by far and once again it seems entirely off-brand for 9-1-1. The last time Hen and Karen lost an adoption (another plot retread, hmmm) it was because the mother got herself together and wanted the child back. Heartbreaking, but also completely realistic. Not this far-fetched revenge nonsense.

I liked that Buck confronted Eddie, but even that conversation seemed a little off, just like Athena and Bobby.

I think Amir is going to end up being a misdirect as we contemplate who set the fire (though it was so thorough that it sure looked like someone certainly did). I wonder if it's going to tie back to Harry and his seeming acting out from the beginning of the season (not that he set the fire, but that he's gotten into some trouble that caused someone else to).

I'm disappointed in this season so far, and I think the reason is that ABC seems to have turned this show into just another primetime drama. But there's a reason I don't watch most of those. I think the writers and all of the other powers that be need to watch some back episodes and get back in touch with what made this show unique and special so they can start over next season.

I can't say there are many episodes this season that I would enjoy rewatching. Many more episodes like this, which was too deep a dive into the drama pool without enough comedy and action to balance it out and I don't know how long I'll stick around. They've got some of the best characters on television with one of the most talented casts. I hope they can right the ship.

Edited by agathapenny
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Is anyone else thinking MJW's Amir became an arsonist to get revenge on Bobby?

Edited by preeya
  • Like 3

I didn't start watching this until this season, and the three-episode cruise ship disaster pulled me in and piqued my interest.

Now I don't know what the heck I'm watching. I don't know enough about the various backstories to figure out plots and characters. I suppose I could go back and watch more of the earlier episodes. I've watched the first two from season 1 so far. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I didn't start watching this until this season, and the three-episode cruise ship disaster pulled me in and piqued my interest.

Now I don't know what the heck I'm watching. I don't know enough about the various backstories to figure out plots and characters. I suppose I could go back and watch more of the earlier episodes. I've watched the first two from season 1 so far. 

I started my watching with season 2 (but have gone back and seen season 1), and kind of fell in love with the show. This season has been lacklustre in comparison, in my opinion, though it's still had its moments (and I mostly liked the cruise ship episodes as well, and thus had higher hopes for the season).

i just had a terrible thought — they wouldn't bring back the old, hated (racist, misogynist), captain temporarily to replace Bobby, would they? I don't know if I could stomach that. With their seeming penchant now for cheap drama and his appearance on tonight's episode for seemingly no purpose, I'm now really wondering. Please don't go there, show. Please don't. go. there.

• Like 5
(edited)

I agree the tone has shifted, and I wish it hadn't.

I thought for sure Kim was a hallucination until Buck confirmed she's real. 

Likewise, I thought Bobby was still dreaming when the fire started. 

All they have to do with the Eddie story is have everybody explain what happened. I mean, Christopher saw the resemblance. Eddie can say he was shocked to meet a dead ringer for dead Shannon, and Kim was helping him deal with his grief, and he didn't introduce them sooner because he was flipping out about it and confused. It's a ridiculous story (what is she? a long lost identicial twin??)-- but it's believable enough. I mean, Christopher called her "mom".

But the show will probably do something more angsty and melodramatic.

Revoking the foster license and canceling the adoption abruptly and without a hearing... would that really be how it happens? Hen is in a dangerous job where people will die. You'd think they'd look into it a little. They see how much better the kid is doing, they've known Hen and Karen a while. Hell, I personally knew someone who took in a foster kid, decided she didn't want to do it, and the social worker begged her to keep her because they didn't have another placement. The woman was actively saying "I don't want to do this, I don't want the kid" and they were basically saying "we won't take her, you have to keep her" until the woman gave in and kept her. And this was a very nice, well-behaved kid a few years older than Mara. I don't know what the usual practice is, but I'm under the impression that there is a huge shortage of foster placements and some are quite obviously way worse than Karen and Hen.

Hen not noticing anything was wrong with Bobby when everyone else noticed... seemed strange.

They always did a few of these pure drama, heavy on the angst episodes, per season. So I wasn't worried about it until now. At this point, I think they are in too deep to just abandon the stories they have going, to go back to the wacky rescues and fun times with 9-1-1 calls right away, but I'm worried they never will, and that would be a shame.

Edited by possibilities
MOAR TYPOS!!!!!
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I agree the tone has shifted, and I wish it hadn't.

I thought for sure Kim was a hallucination until Buck confirmed she's real. 

Likewise, I thought Bobby was still dreaming when the fire started. 

All they have to do with the Eddie story is have everybody explain what happened. I mean, Christopher saw the resemblance. Eddie can say he was shocked to meet a dead ringer for dead Shannon, and Kim was helping him deal with his grief, and he didn't introduce them sooner because he was flipping out about it and confused. It's a ridiculous story (what is she? a long list identicial twin??)-- but it's believable enough. I mean, Christopher called her "mom".

But the show will probably do something more angsty and melodramatic.

Yes, and if it was still the show of old, I might be more hopeful this is what will happen, with everyone acting like adults (except the actual child). It would actually be a decent end to this stupid story, even if Marisol then decides to dump Eddie, which I don't particularly care about one way or another.

Revoking the foster license and canceling the adoption abruptly and without a hearing... would that really be how it happens? Hen is in a dangerous job where people will die. You'd think they'd look into it a little. They see how much better the kid is doing, they've known Hen and Karen a while. Hell, I personally knew someone who took in a foster kid, decided she didn't want to do it, and the social worker begged her to keep her because they didn't have another placement. I don't know what the usual practice is, but I'm under the impression that there is a huge shortage of foster placements and some are quite obviously way worse than Karen and Hen.

That's why this is absurd. Well, one of the many reasons this plot is so absurd. 

They always did a few of these pure drama, heavey on the angst episodes, per season. So I wasn't worried about it until now. At this point, I think they are in too deep to just abandon the stories they ahve going, to go back to the wacky rescues and fun times with 9-1-1 calls right away, but I'm worried they never will, and that would be a shame.

Yeah, I wasn't worried last episode, but I'm concerned now. The 9-1-1 calls weren't just action for action's sake. They taught us about the characters and often highlighted themes of the episodes. It made the whole show cohesive. The guest actors were often really great, too.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, agathapenny said:

Hated Hen's plot. Hated it. The evil, delusional, omnipotent politician story is completely off the rails for this show and seems like cheap drama, again.

They stole this from every other season of Chicago Fire.

Someone is always trying to "take down the house" like a complete fucking psycho. And somehow 9-1-1 got infected.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I just realized I actually did get the thread formatting wrong. 

Sigh.

I really tried.

Somebody else please please please do it next time!! And every time after that!!!

• Hugs 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just realized I actually did get the thread formatting wrong. 

Sigh.

I really tried.

Somebody else please please please do it next time!! And every time after that!!!

I am the Queen of Typos.

1. In your thread-starter post,
    in the top right corner,
    are three dots (…)
    Tap the … 

2. and then choose EDIT.

3. Now you can change the title:
       S.7.09: Ashes, Ashes
    to:
       S07.09: Ashes, Ashes

4. Then, at the bottom:
    I forget exactly what it says when you’re editing a first post.
    Something like “save” but maybe not? Maybe “submit changes”?
    You’ll know it when you see it.
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

I didn’t believe for a second that Kim who barely knows Eddie, would fix her hair to look more like Shannon and show up so Eddie could talk to his dead wife. The scene with the fire was confusing and I thought the whole thing was a dream at first. I hope Hen and Karen can find a good lawyer to help them and hope Bobby doesn’t die and gets some intense therapy.

• Like 13

Another one here who just started watching this season (have since caught up through early season 6 via Hulu).  I was nicely settled in and relaxed for the medal ceremony, but once Bobby took the stage, I started feeling unsettled, and by the time the closing credits rolled I had a full-on headache.  The emotional pounding was unrelenting, with even the kids catching strays (I literally peeked through my fingers when Christopher walked in on his dad and Kim).

To this show's credit, they usually resolve most of the cliffhangers in the season finales, so I'm hoping they keep the pattern this time.  And RIP to the Grant-Nash house, which was its own character in a way.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, michelec said:

To this show's credit, they usually resolve most of the cliffhangers in the season finales, so I'm hoping they keep the pattern this time.  And RIP to the Grant-Nash house, which was its own character in a way.

The cliffhanger resolution is something I have always appreciated about the show.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The scene with the fire was confusing and I thought the whole thing was a dream at first.

I think we were watching both Eddy and Bobby in a dream sequence. Remember they were both napping in the same position on their respective couches in the same odd position, half-sitting: half-reclining, when the dramas 'woke' them up. The house is fine, and Christopher did not get traumatized by seeing his mom's twin. (OK, I might be ignoring a few clues that happened in next week's preview, but that's the way I'm writing it.)

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

I think we were watching both Eddy and Bobby in a dream sequence. Remember they were both napping in the same position on their respective couches in the same odd position, half-sitting: half-reclining, when the dramas 'woke' them up. The house is fine, and Christopher did not get traumatized by seeing his mom's twin. (OK, I might be ignoring a few clues that happened in next week's preview, but that's the way I'm writing it.)

I hope you're right on both storylines.  

And WRT "his mom's twin" - let's go all in on the soapy-ness of it all and say they're twins separated at birth.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The cliffhanger resolution is something I have always appreciated about the show.

I couldn't agree more. The episodes in general (besides the special disaster ones) have always been really well encapsulated, even when stories have been ongoing there's usually a beginning, middle and end of some kind within the episode. It's one of the reasons I always have felt good after watching. They don't kill main characters off willy-nilly to be "edgy" or whatever crap they use to justify it (let's face it, not that many people die on the job, not even this job), so the show has a nice sense of stability, and the characters all like each other. To date they haven't trotted out the "evil bureaucracy is coming for your fire station" trope, which I really appreciate because who wants to watch that? Don't we all get enough of bad bosses and bureaucracy in real life?

• Like 2
(edited)

I edited the thread title. Let's all say a prayer that I got it right this time.

If Eddie and Bobby are both dreaming, I guess that's better than if what we saw was real, but they need to hire some writers who actually know how to write a decent show. It never occurred to me that the move to ABC would make a show that was great on FOX into a full-force hackery tropefest. But, here we are, and I don't see a way out of it where the writing is redeemed, so I hope I am wrong and they are geniuses and I can apologize for doubting them next week.

It does seem unlikely that Kim would show up to help Eddie that way, and an arsonist would be a hell of a mystery to introduce this late in the season. So, it probably is all a dream. I did notice that the firefighters who showed up for Bobby were not recognizeable-- maybe I was just tired, but I couldn't make out their faces and their voices and body shapes were also unfamiliar to me. It did seem kind of blurry (could be my eyes, which are unreliable these days, esp when I'm tired), and that is not how they usually shoot this show.

Having two characters simultaneously having breakdowns, using the same formula, is weird, though. 

What the hell happened to the writing for this show??

Edited by possibilities
it ain't proofread til it's proofread 4 times, i.e. The Return Of The Typos....
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, agathapenny said:

I'm disappointed in this season so far, and I think the reason is that ABC seems to have turned this show into just another primetime drama.

Did ABC put Shonda Rhimes in charge of this show? WTF is going on? The last three shows have had no 911 calls at all, it's all intense personal dramas and soap opera character study. 

I've never watched Station 19, but I understand this is its last season, so I have to wonder if maybe ABC picked up 911 as a replacement for Station 19 and wanted it to be more of a drama so it could be paired with Greys Anatomy.

Kim showing up dressed as Shannon to give Eddy closure was beyond stupid. It was a new low for this show, and that's saying a lot. 

The entire arc with Bobby is retread and a huge downer. Mara screaming as the evil CPS workers dragged her away was traumatic. WTF is happening to this show? It used to be fun to watch, now it's painful. 

I doubt very much if they are going to write Bobby or Athena off the show, but at this point, I guess anything is possible. I just don't recognize this show anymore. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Does anyone remember when this as a show about first responders rescuing people? When I want less rescues and more soap opera drama I turn on Station 19, I know that this show also loves its cheesy drama, but they usually at least try to balance that out with rescues and hijinks. This one was all drama all the time, and in increasingly convoluted ways. 

So much of this episode seemed to only happen because of people acting in bizarre inexplicable ways. I'm glad that Athena caught onto the possibly suicidal way that Bobby was acting (and we know that Bobby did at one point plan on that) but I have no clue why she thought that bugging this guy who Bobby seemed to already get some closure with would help. I guess she thought if he could forgive Booby then Bobby would forgive himself, but it more seems like a good way to bring up even more trauma for both of them. You also have this politician who's become the villain of Hen's story, who has the power to totally screw up Hen's adoption even if a basic investigation of what happened would tell her that her son refused treatment even when Hen offered several times, nor was Hen the only person there dealing with him who she could be pissed at. Then you have Eddie, who's still having this bizarre emotional affair with his dead ex wife's doubleganger, who when he tells her he not only has a girlfriend and a son, he's only interested in her because she looks like his dead ex wife's long lost twin, she doesn't run screaming, she shows up again to do some emotional roll playing. 

It all feels so forced, not like things that would naturally happen to these characters, and it doesn't help that we're treading old ground with all of these stories. We've had "Hen and Karen are about to adopt a firster kid then they cant) and "Bobby deals with his past" and "Eddie grieving over Shannon" stories, and while any of those being repeated would be annoying, having them all together is shockingly insufferable.  

Some of these developments were so over the top, especially Eddie's doubleganger wife and Bobby and Athena's house burning down, I thought that they were dream sequences. 

The acting was good from everyone at least, and I liked when Buck gave Eddie a much needed reality check on this whole twin mess, it must be wild for Buck to suddenly be the more mature one. I cant believe I could be watching Buck figuring out his relationship with Tommy his feelings about his sexuality instead of whatever this is. 

I still love this show, but it really needs to figure itself out. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I agree with everyone on how this episode felt different to me. I assume the move to ABC has meant changes in the writers room. 

For me the problem is that any one of these dramatic stories would've been fine if they took place among the usual rescues but all in the same episode, they don't work. 

Both Bobby and Eddie are acting in ways that would make anyone suggest they need intense counseling. Meanwhile the story with the councilwoman going after Hen & Karen was so heavy-handed and cruel. I predict that the councilwoman will end up in a situation where she needs help from 911, Hen will save her, and the councilwoman will change her mind.

I also don't understand the previous captain showing up at the celebration. I assume we'll see more of him later. They made too big a point of showing what a jerk he is.

16 hours ago, preeya said:

I hadn't thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

ETA: Athena inviting Amir to their home made no sense and was very out of character.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, preeya said:

As soon as he said, "You have a lovely home," I thought he was also thinking, ". . . and I'm going to burn it to the ground."

• Like 11
(edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:08 AM, iMonrey said:

I doubt very much if they are going to write Bobby or Athena off the show, but at this point, I guess anything is possible. 

I'm not that optimistic. With the network switch, it may have been decided that it is too expensive to keep both of them, or maybe there was something involved with the process that made Peter Krause want to leave the show.

RIP Robert Wade Nash, Sr.

Edited by eel2178
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, agathapenny said:

i just had a terrible thought — they wouldn't bring back the old, hated (racist, misogynist), captain temporarily to replace Bobby, would they?

Given that he was essentially kicked out of the 118 because of complaints, that makes no sense at all. So don't go there, writers!

I wonder how much of the tone change this season has to do with it being shortened. There have always been flashback episodes mixed in with the action, but they are out of proportion in the strike season.

I also wonder if they spent all of their disaster budget on the cruise ship!

Bobby actually started spiraling during that arc, when he told Athena he didn't deserve her. Then when Amir showed up at his meeting, it pushed him further, and even his journey through the desert (how Christ-like) gave him more to dwell on. I think Bobby's father (subconscious) woke him up because he smelled smoke.

I also think that the theme of the episode was something like: chickens coming home to roost. Bobby can't run any more; Hen's actions (even though they were all acceptable in the scope of her work) were used to interfere with her family, and Eddie being a f*cking asshole only now admitting how much he misses Shannon.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, michelec said:

And RIP to the Grant-Nash house, which was its own character in a way.

At least we finally got a glimpse of what the renovated fireplace looked like after Bobby and Michael tore it apart. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The acting was good from everyone at least, and I liked when Buck gave Eddie a much needed reality check on this whole twin mess, it must be wild for Buck to suddenly be the more mature one. I cant believe I could be watching Buck figuring out his relationship with Tommy his feelings about his sexuality instead of whatever this is. 

I'm also disappointed that there hasn't been more Buck/Tommy scenes since There Goes the Groom. Clearly they're in a good place right now, but a couple of breadcrumb-type scenes showing the progression would have been great.

Also, whoever mentioned they were worried about Tommy being killed off, come sit with me. The thought has crossed my mind as well because no one in the 118 can be happy for more than five minutes.

Edited by michelec
  • Like 7
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I didn’t believe for a second that Kim who barely knows Eddie, would fix her hair to look more like Shannon and show up so Eddie could talk to his dead wife.

I thought she was a total psycho when we first met her. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she now believes that she is Shannon (or at least she wants to pretend she is Shannon) and the first thing she says to Christopher is, "Yes, it's me! I'm back from the dead!"

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, marceline said:

I predict that the councilwoman will end up in a situation where she needs help from 911, Hen will save her, and the councilwoman will change her mind.

It’ll never happen but I’d like to see Taylor again, reporting on the terrible abuse of power by an elected official who deliberately had a child traumatized. Followed an enormous outcry from the LAFD about having one of their own targeted.

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
26 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I'm not that optimistic. With the network switch, it may have been decided that it is too expensive to keep both of them, or maybe there was something involved with the process that made Peter Krause want to leave the show.

RIP Robert Warren Nash, Sr.

I remember an interview Krause did after the cruise ship episode where he mentioned that he wasn't sure how much longer he would be able to do the physical stunts. I don't think he's leaving the show. If he is, they've done a great job of keeping that under wraps. But maybe they're setting the stage for him to do less stunt-y stuff.

• Like 4

This is the first episode I've ever watched - it wasn't nearly as bad as I always thought it would be, thanks to competent actors. Still, there was too much talk and hardly any action. It took forever to get to the CGI fire scene that I've been seeing in the promos all week.

• Mind Blown 1
13 minutes ago, januaryman said:

This is the first episode I've ever watched - it wasn't nearly as bad as I always thought it would be, thanks to competent actors. Still, there was too much talk and hardly any action. It took forever to get to the CGI fire scene that I've been seeing in the promos all week.

This was your first episode ever? There was so much backstory/exposition. I can't imagine how that would land with a first time viewer. 🤔

• Like 4
17 hours ago, agathapenny said:

Bobby better not damn well retire — or die of a heart attack

Bobby couldn't save his first family from a fire, but now he has had the opportunity to save his second family (okay, just Athena). He can feel as though he made his final amends and is at peace.

He has come a full circle. Where does he go from there?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

If Bobby dies I want him welcomed into the afterlife by Milo Ventimiglia and/or Mandy Moore because this is exactly how Jack Pearson went out in This Is Us. A widowmaker heart attack after escaping a fire.

• Like 2

To new viewers: The acting is always good. The writing is usually a lot better, and there is usually a lot more action, a lot sooner in the episode. Many START with a 9-1-1 call. There is also often a lot more humor; it's kind of a signature of the show, that of all the fire/rescue shows, it has the most humor, at least in my opinion, and among the ones I've seen.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Then you have Eddie, who's still having this bizarre emotional affair with his dead ex wife's doubleganger, who when he tells her he not only has a girlfriend and a son, he's only interested in her because she looks like his dead ex wife's long lost twin, she doesn't run screaming, she shows up again to do some emotional roll playing. 

LOL it sounds even more absurd when you spell it all out that way.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, marceline said:

I predict that the councilwoman will end up in a situation where she needs help from 911, Hen will save her, and the councilwoman will change her mind.

That's such a cliche in TV World. I hope they don't go there.

• Like 4

This episode is emotionally overwhelming. 💔

Seeing Bathena’s house going up in flames and Bobby collapsing on the ground, then the paramedics bringing out the defibrillator... 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I cant believe I could be watching Buck figuring out his relationship with Tommy his feelings about his sexuality instead of whatever this is. 

At least that's new, right? It's probably the most interesting thing they've done with any of the characters this season and it was largely swept under the rug. I don't like how they sort of treated it as though it were a non-issue with everyone. These aren't just co-workers, they are like family to Buck. And if someone I was that close to, who had hitherto been straight as far as I knew, I would have questions! I'd be polite but I'd have questions.

6 hours ago, marceline said:

It doesn't even make any sense that she would have the power to nullify the adoption request in the first place. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It all feels so forced, not like things that would naturally happen to these characters, and it doesn't help that we're treading old ground with all of these stories. We've had "Hen and Karen are about to adopt a firster kid then they cant) and "Bobby deals with his past" and "Eddie grieving over Shannon" stories, and while any of those being repeated would be annoying, having them all together is shockingly insufferable.  

Yes to you whole post, but especially to this. These are all retread storylines that are so frustrating because of it. We've been over this ground.

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I still love this show, but it really needs to figure itself out. 

The acting is always top notch. It's one of the big strengths of the show that hasn't changed. Buck and Eddie's continued friendship has been one of the better things about this season.

5 hours ago, anna0852 said:

It’ll never happen but I’d like to see Taylor again, reporting on the terrible abuse of power by an elected official who deliberately had a child traumatized. Followed an enormous outcry from the LAFD about having one of their own targeted.

Lol, my very first thought was "where is Taylor Kelly when you need her?"

4 hours ago, januaryman said:

Don't use this episode as a measure of the show, please. It's not representative of what this show can do and has been in the past (and hopefully will be again).

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

To new viewers: The acting is always good. The writing is usually a lot better, and there is usually a lot more action, a lot sooner in the episode. Many START with a 9-1-1 call. There is also often a lot more humor; it's kind of a signature of the show, that of all the fire/rescue shows, it has the most humor, at least in my opinion, and among the ones I've seen.

I echo all of this. This is basically a list of all of the things that make this show unique and why I've loved it.

32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

At least that's new, right? It's probably the most interesting thing they've done with any of the characters this season and it was largely swept under the rug.

You're completely right that Buck's bisexuality is the only original character development and story of this entire season. They really need new writers (or old ones back) or for the current lot to do some homework and at least try to find the tone of the show that everyone's loved so much over the years.

• Like 4

I first started watching this season. Hubby watched this episode with me. His comment was where is the fire stuff.  Then he commented on what I was thinking that this show was like the Lifetime Movies he likes to watch.  In fact, 3 different Lifetime Movies.

• Sad 1
  • Fire 1

I am really hoping the switch in networks hasn't resulted in a refocus of the show, because the crazy rescues with humour or weirdness was a hallmark of the show and a big reason why I watch and enjoy this over other shows.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I'm really worried that ABC has decided this is what they want. I hope not. I liked Station 19 and was sorry to hear they cancelled it, but this show should not try to be Station 19. It should be what it always has been-- with great ratings! No reason to change that.

I thought it wasn't just a re-tread, and off-tone. It was also out of character. Both Eddie and Athena were not themselfves. And also Hen-- she was acting all whiney and flummoxed when she confronted the politician, and she just gave up when they took the kid? Hen is a fighter. I expected her to explain what really happened in the cases the politician was citing, and to tell the kid they would fight to get her back.

What is all this crying and helpless shit? 

And Eddie was never that into Shannon. I'm not saying he didn't care about her death. But there was never a hint of "his great love who he can't live without". This story is coming out of nowhere.

Buck was in character.

Bobby was in character last week. But this sudden mopiness is not making sense. It's like he and Eddie both were drugged by the same crap.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, agathapenny said:

They really need new writers (or old ones back)

The funny thing is, the show runner from Seasons 1-4 is back this season after running LoneStar.  Maybe that's part of the problem. He has so many ideas about what to do with the characters that he's trying to cram everything during a shortened season.

Because it has been a very messy, overstuffed season.  It feels like they don't have the time to tell all the stories they'd like to.  That's even funnier when we consider how there have been fewer rescues this season.  It's still not enough to tell all the personal stories they want to tell.

And it is sloppy.  In this episode, Tommy told Gerrard he had transferred out of the 118 about 5 years ago but Bobby reinforces that Buck arrived to the 118 7 years ago.  Those two never overlapped at the 118.  I'm used to continuity errors but it's so annoying when it happens in the same episode.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And if someone I was that close to, who had hitherto been straight as far as I knew, I would have questions! I'd be polite but I'd have questions.

I can't believe we haven't had a conversation between Buck and Hen about the new developements.  I know they showed Hen and Karen acting like they suspected this might be the case but as the two queer members of the 118, it kind of feels like not showing that conversation is a missed opportunity.

I'm definitely not a fan of the pace.  There are converations I'd love to see between Buck and the 118 and with Tommy that should be happening now, at this stage in his discovery/relationship but there isn't room for them.  And it may feel like too much time has passed if they try to do them next season.

7 hours ago, marceline said:

I remember an interview Krause did after the cruise ship episode where he mentioned that he wasn't sure how much longer he would be able to do the physical stunts.

I think he said something similar after the 100 episodes party about not being able to do another 100 episodes.  I didn't think they were killing him off and I still kinda think they won't but the montage in this episode of Bobby's relationship with the members of the 118 started to make me think otherwise.  That felt like a tribute montage. 

23 hours ago, preeya said:

It has crossed my mind based on an interview I saw with MJW but I hope they don't get there.  I liked where they left it where Amir doesn't want to be Bobby's salvation and have it not be wrapped up tidily.  Having a victim of Bobby's poor decisions do a pure villain turn would be the silliest thing on this silly show.

Besides, that's what they're doing with the councilwoman who I know I should hate but I do love Veronica Falcon so much. 

• Like 6
13 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

It’s possible.  I was thinking that also.  But then they show Bobby in the hospital.  They’ve already had Buck have an experience would they do the same with Bobby?

1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

I am really hoping the switch in networks hasn't resulted in a refocus of the show, because the crazy rescues with humour or weirdness was a hallmark of the show and a big reason why I watch and enjoy this over other shows.

Melodrama is less expensive than crazy rescues, sadly.

• Like 2

This was the worst episode.  Traumatizing Mara again is criminal.  The Eddie story was just stupid.  And the fire. Overkill, pun intended.  Do they want people to stop watching next season?  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

.  . .  the crazy rescues with humour or weirdness was a hallmark of the show and a big reason why I watch and enjoy this over other shows.

This!  I've come to this show very late; a few months ago, I saw a repeat completely by accident (punched the wrong channel into my remote) and got caught up in an early season episode with some crazy rescue.  So I binged the entire series over the span of about 10 weeks.  I don't mind some of the drama, but please bring back the humor.

The best part of the episode was Chimney telling the former captain that he thinks of him whenever he sees some filth.  

I don't think they will kill off Bobby, but I was trying to think of some way the character could still be on the show but not as the Captain of the 118.  Perhaps he could work alongside Maddie in the 911 center; passing her tissues every time she tears up would keep him really busy.  

Hen and Karen, get a lawyer ASAP.  And a note for the future:  don't tell your enemy anything about your personal life.  Not your marriage, your children, where you live, nothing.  Athena, that goes for you too.  Don't invite the person who blames your husband for ruining his life into your home.  

I'm surprised Eddie told Kim about her resemblance to his late wife.  I didn't think he was mature enough to do that. The longer that went on, the creepier the situation (and he) was becoming.  But congratulations, you've traumatized your son!

Amir started the fire, right?  His anger when seeing the pictures, certificates, and awards was so obvious.  And it seemed the fire started outside and then moved into the house.  I want to know how a fire captain's house doesn't have smoke detectors.  But I assume - completely unspoiled - Athena will rise from her hospital bed, conduct a solo investigation, and arrest Amir next week.  

I thought it was interesting how in his dream, Bobby sees his father drinking, unkempt, unshaven, and then suddenly he's sober, clean shaven, and in dress uniform.  Like Bobby at the beginning of the episode, portrayed as the hero firefighter, and all a sham, just like Bobby viewed himself.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm really worried that ABC has decided this is what they want. I hope not. 

Ditto.

I thought it wasn't just a re-tread, and off-tone. It was also out of character. Both Eddie and Athena were not themselfves. And also Hen-- she was acting all whiney and flummoxed when she confronted the politician, and she just gave up when they took the kid? Hen is a fighter. I expected her to explain what really happened in the cases the politician was citing, and to tell the kid they would fight to get her back.

Yes! Since when would the Athena we know not be highly suspicious and guarded about Amir and his appearance in Bobby's life (and the threat that poses to her family)? Don't get me started on what they've done to Eddie this season. Ryan Guzman has done a great job with the acting (his venting to "Shannon" , but this weird story just can't end fast enough.

And Eddie was never that into Shannon. I'm not saying he didn't care about her death. But there was never a hint of "his great love who he can't live without". This story is coming out of nowhere.

Preaching to the choir here. It was funny, I thought some of Eddie's dialogue in this episode sounded kind of like the writers had read some of the criticism of this story and tried to address it — like when he said something to the effect that he hadn't realized Shannon was the love of his life at the time they were together or even after her death, but was starting to think so now (what the heck? why?) and having him say they were apart more than they were together (I think I actually wrote almost that exact criticism in an episode thread here). It's just completely rewriting history for inexplicable reasons. I mean sure, his subsequent relationship didn't work out because he didn't love her, and he seems to be going down a similar path with Marisol, but there's never been any indication that was because he was still hung up on Shannon (for all eternity?) until this recent crazy. 

10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The funny thing is, the show runner from Seasons 1-4 is back this season after running LoneStar.  Maybe that's part of the problem. He has so many ideas about what to do with the characters that he's trying to cram everything during a shortened season.

Or maybe he's just gone back to where he thinks he left the characters (though I'd argue they were already beyond these retread storylines by then) and picked up from there? I'm just trying to make it make sense. 

Because it has been a very messy, overstuffed season.  It feels like they don't have the time to tell all the stories they'd like to. That's even funnier when we consider how there have been fewer rescues this season.  It's still not enough to tell all the personal stories they want to tell.

Remember when we used to get a lot of those character moments before, during and after actual rescues? So we knew some of this stuff was going on and we checked in on the characters lives and they checked in on each others lives without it being such heavy-handed DRAMA all the time.

That felt like a tribute montage. 

If it was, it was horribly underwhelming.

I just want this show to be more of a fun watch again. I'll stick out the end of this season, and try it again next, but if it continues in this vein next season, I may have to just enjoy my reruns and give new episodes a pass.

• Like 1

I don't  think  Bobby was dreaming,  I think perhaps MJW's character  started the fire, or Bobby did. I honestly  don't  know, I'm guessing. Didn't  Eddie's  son walk in on Kim? Or was that a dream. I kept thinking  it's Shannon's  twin, but that would  be a cop out. Maybe Kim was trying to help Eddie  out, with the things he left unsaid. 

Poor little Mara, ripped from her home and family.

As for Bobby's  heart attack,  maybe he's  leaving  the show.

On 5/24/2024 at 12:29 AM, agathapenny said:

Apparently in the rewriting department we also seem to be conveniently forgetting that Bobby has special blood needed to save thousands of children, which is why he really decided he wasn't allowed to commit suicide after saving 148 people. So he accepted he was going to have to live and made himself a life and chose to live it, instead of just exist.

I had forgotten this too.
I mostly assume everything we've seen is real, but there's a dream-like quality to both Bobby's and Eddie's scenes. 
Since the show is already a total soap opera when they're not doing the fabulous, budget-busting season openers, having Bobby and Eddie in comas in the hospital doesn't seem that much of a stretch — more of a tired old trope, if anything.
And maybe Amir really is a nurse attending Bobby, who may or may not be a survivor of the fire Bobby accidentally set off all those years ago before the show was a glimmer in the minds of  Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Tim Minear.
Maybe Bobby and Eddie caught Chimney's viral encephalitis, from a few episodes ago?
But I think we were shown much earlier in the episode Bobby clutching his chest in a classic TV/film heart attack pain gesture. So…?

• Like 1

I have seen on this and other forums that people think Eddie’s whole storyline with Kim is a dream but Buck also saw Kim at the station and I don’t think any of that is supposed to be a dream. If everything happening to Eddie and Bobby is a dream then where is the actual show? I think only Bobby dreaming of his father was a dream .

I hate the story about Hen and Karen getting another child taken away. Stories like that are what scares people away from adopting. Hopefully a lawyer or even a tip to a journalist can change things.

• Like 2