Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E08: Restaurant Wars

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

I think the issues we're seeing with pacing are due to the extended format of 75 minutes every week.  In prior seasons, only a few episodes were longer than 60 minutes, and things felt brisk and better presented.

Great point.  Perhaps that's why the judging seemed endless, tedious and repetitive.  It seemed like they used all the extra time for that.  If they distributed the extra time more evenly throughout the episode it probably would not feel that way.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1
9 hours ago, Rai said:

Sigh. To all those who hate RW, I salute you because I hate posts bitching about Gail's cleavage.

If we can't be bitchy here on Primetimer (formerly the uber-bitchy TWoP) where can we be?

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm also a former TWOPer, and in retrospect, I don't love all the body shaming that happened there too. I am more in the TLo camp on these matters.

Anyway, just as there will be those who deride RW, there will also be those who defend Gail's cleavage. Both may be exercises in futility, but here we all are, regardless.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2

For me this was a very weak RW. They have changed the format so much that it is no longer what it used to be. Now it all goes to how well the front of the does and that is that. This RW was very dull and had no challenge.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, nitrofishblue said:

For me this was a very weak RW. They have changed the format so much that it is no longer what it used to be. Now it all goes to how well the front of the does and that is that. This RW was very dull and had no challenge.

But they booted an EC, not FOH. 

I wonder if the chefs get to ask how experienced the servers are.  If they are all newbies, couldn't you decorate the individual tables to differentiate them?  Like this is for the table with the owl statue.  Or use different colored table cloths.

Danny's idea of the template for tickets was really good also.  There were only two choices per course after all.

• Like 10
47 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

What happened to two people maybe going home?

They mentioned it again this week. So I assume it will happen at some point.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

My eyes were rolling really hard with all of Dan’s whining about how crazy hard it is to open “a whole new restaurant!” in 24 hours.  It usually takes months and months of hard work!!!

All you’re doing is choosing a name and tablecloths. From there, it’s just like every other challenge. Cook food for some people in a prepped professional kitchen and serve it. You’re not pulling permits, arguing with contractors, and hiring staff. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

All you’re doing is choosing a name and tablecloths. From there, it’s just like every other challenge. Cook food for some people in a prepped professional kitchen and serve it. You’re not pulling permits, arguing with contractors, and hiring staff

excellent point

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

My eyes were rolling really hard with all of Dan’s whining about how crazy hard it is to open “a whole new restaurant!” in 24 hours.  It usually takes months and months of hard work!!!

All you’re doing is choosing a name and tablecloths. From there, it’s just like every other challenge. Cook food for some people in a prepped professional kitchen and serve it. You’re not pulling permits, arguing with contractors, and hiring staff. 

It's also what they do every single season -- it's not a surprise! I do think it is extremely hard to create a cohesive group menu on the fly, orchestrate two turns of a dining room, and simply get out hundreds of plates on demand. But it's Top Chef. Hard is the point.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I liked when they had to do more of the work for the setup of the spaces. I know it's not cooking but it helped give the two teams more distinctive experiences. It was cool the season where they had to create their concept menu and decor to present and then the two winners were the leads in RW. 

The finale, is that when RW should be? Giving the final two a 2-4 days prep to put together their ideal restaurant and menu. Have 2 smaller seatings. They'd have like 3 eliminated chefs as sous chefs and actual waiters. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I will say upon rewatching this without distractions I will say I credit Kaleena for being extremely decisive from the jump on what she wanted or did not want to do.  I can now see why she was so OK with her exit because she seemed sure of all of her decisions along the way so that’s a solid way of exiting.  Also as an aside I did happen to buy the Whole Foods version of corn flakes she used in her episode of crappy hard cheesecake crust and that product was ODD.  Very thick and corny despite being light, zero sugar flavor and formed a thick unpleasant doughy carby mess in your mouth as you chewed.  She now gets a pass from me on how that crust ended up so hard and nasty.

also aquachile is the new risotto.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
On 5/9/2024 at 7:37 PM, heyjupiter said:

The restaurants looked the same which made it harder to tell them apart. They've had this back and forth setup before. It feels weird because they're going through the meal twice. 

Something about it didn't seem as urgent or creative as previous RWs. I usually look forward to it, but this wasn't exciting but so goes this season. 

Michelle, it doesn't seem like you should be hanging around in BACK when your title has the word FRONT in it. 

I didn't mind that the judges were split up and experienced the restaurants at different times.  That way, they could see that both restaurants were struggling during the second service.  

I wonder if this RW was smaller and less chaotic than past versions?  There certainly didn't seem as much confusion/chaos as prior seasons (with the exception of Kaleena's "expediting"-- kudos to Danny for coming up with the order slips.)

• Like 2

Anyone else think it was odd that going into both top chef and assuming you were going to make it to RW that the Mexican Asian restaurant team didn’t have more desserts in their arsenal that they felt confident molding them to their concept?  Especially when they had to nix their fish dish and they had to end up with a double tenderloin ending?

I understand Kaleena saying that savory was more in their wheelhouse but dessert has often won/blown away the judges table.  RW dessert is an opportunity to shine.  Even a flan with a gochujang carmel spill would have been an obvious choice.

Did they address the color difference of starter cocktail of the sparkling soda cha?  The look on Tom’s face was HILARIOUS.  2 of them seriously looked like water sans cha.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Tango64 said:

You’re not pulling permits, arguing with contractors, and hiring staff. 

As much as I would have preferred being a chef, being a back office business person was always my role in a restaurant, and these tasks were always my responsibility and not fun. Dealing with this professionally convinced me that I did not want to open my own restaurant (although Cleveland was quite the hotspot in the 90s/early 2000s and I was a damn good cook).

That being said, I rewatched the Restaurant Wars from the previous season, at least to prove to myself that I was not such a terrible elderly curmudgeon for my views on this season's RW. Last season's RW was 100% better than this season's, and this is due to the producers, not the chefs.  Also, as someone used to high-end restaurants, I can say that I would never return to a restaurant who gave me such a tortured and rushed experience as these two did as long as they gave me complimentary wine/appetizers while I was waiting, (I'm also a practitioner of CPT). I go to a high-end restaurant to relax - if you give me wine and eats, I ain't watchin' the clock. Again, I blame the producers for this and not the chefs.

Okay, rant over. I'm gonna go back to watching basketball if it's still on. Go Cavs and Pacers (although Celtics and Knicks are gonna win - even though the Cavs pummeled the Celtics on Thursday.)

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I'm still getting used to Kristen as the host.

I like Restaurant Wars. I thought the competition was close. Michelle was not great as the FOH although I overall like her. Both teams appeared to be disorganized toward the end, but as several individuals mentioned, some of it could be attributed to the servers not being professionals. Kaleena's team should have created a dessert. I think this lost them points with the judges.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I understand Kaleena saying that savory was more in their wheelhouse but dessert has often won/blown away the judges table.

Every team/contestant ever has said that savory is more in their wheelhouse. Not one has ever said their specialty is dessert. I laughed when she said that.

• Like 5
(edited)

All I got out of Restaurant Wars is that I want my curls to look like Stephaine Izard's.  Gorgeous.

Edited by Grumpbump
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I understand Kaleena saying that savory was more in their wheelhouse but dessert has often won/blown away the judges table.  RW dessert is an opportunity to shine.  Even a flan with a gochujang carmel spill would have been an obvious choice.

Did they address the color difference of starter cocktail of the sparkling soda cha?  The look on Tom’s face was HILARIOUS.  2 of them seriously looked like water sans cha.

This is where I think the extra chef really helped Channel.

Yeah, those cocktails looked gross. Tom also commented on the better cocktail at Dos and Duel.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Every team/contestant ever has said that savory is more in their wheelhouse. Not one has ever said their specialty is dessert. I laughed when she said that.

And that's why every cheftestant should show up with at least one dessert. They know RW is coming...

• Like 10
On 5/9/2024 at 11:28 AM, bravofan27 said:

This was her chance to engage with them, have 1:1 face time with them, show off her personality and connect in a different way. She blew it, IMO. 

Hadn't thought of this aspect of being FOH, but you're 100% correct. Good strategic opportunity lost there.

I like RW and I miss choosing drinkware and decor. It's all such a fun fantasy of possibility until the reality sets in, of course.

Kaleena seemed very ready to leave and very over this show. And I can't say I blame her. This season just seems so meh. Unfocused. I still think this is a pretty lackluster group of cheftestants, but at least there's no screaming drah-mah. And I like KK a lot. "I maybe would have chosen a different team?" That's how Top Chef snark is delivered! 

What exactly is a "cohesive" menu if not reflecting a theme such as....seafood or Asian/Mexican fusion? Not as though they were looking at a menu with paella and hot chicken and pomegranate ice cream. With a pink squirrel drink as palate cleanser. 

• Like 6

It’s not that I dislike RW, it’s just that I think it’s overhyped. It has the potential of being amazing or being a disaster, but often turns into just okay food served in a terrible manner.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 10:19 AM, seltzer3 said:

I know that a lot of recent seasons, a lot of the restaurant war "servers" are actually aspiring actors/actresses who have no experience in restaurants.  So it's really frustrating that this problem of servers not knowing which table to take food too keeps happening. 

There have been a few comments about issues with service and wondering about the competence of the servers.

I remembered seeing something relevant to that in one of the behind-the-scenes articles linked in the media thread. I felt obliged to go back and find it. Here it is:

"I’d forgotten I was dining at a fake restaurant with cameras all around me. We checked in like normal, ordered like normal from our fabulous Bartolotta Restaurants servers, and ate as we normally would".

I think it's safe to assume that Joe and Paul Bartolotta's servers are well trained.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

I lost all my quoted posts! Aghghg. Sorry, all you brilliant people I was gonna quote.

I enjoyed this okay. For me, it was okay -- a 2.5 star RW in a 2.5-star season.

I liked Kalina here, and didn't see any of the bitchiness or arrogance so many others seem to see in her. To me, she was once again confident and clear, but also supportive and kind with her teammates.

I liked the way she left because she felt good about her performance, and I felt she should have -- she did a good job, and the disasters in FOH/waitstaff were not her fault.

Speaking of FOH, I was SO disappointed in Michelle, who I thought was absolutely terrible. I mean, we've all watched this show how many times now? All she had to do was make sure to greet the judges with a warm smile, talk about their concept, and then make sure they felt cared for through service while also not being too in their face.

Instead, on first service, she didn't greet them (deliberately!!), didn't check in with them, didn't  update them on wait times, didn't say goodbye, and (the worst sin to me) didn't even seem to try to want to "sell" the dishes or make the judges feel welcome. She didn't even smile while describing or try to "sell" the dishes, didn't even tell them to "enjoy!" Just kind of walked off! Then went and hung out in the kitchen. She still did most of this with the second service too (even did not come forward to greet the judges, which I just do not get)!

Look, I have social anxiety, so I get shyness, etc. But Michelle even bragged about her extensive FOH skills and experience, so this was just inexcusable to me. I really think she should have gone home.

In terms of who was worst, for me it was Michelle by a mile.

Also, I've seen Kwame as a judge on several things recently, plus this episode, and I think Kwame needs to get over himself. He used to be so charming and diffident and now he's just another self-important sourpuss jerk when judging food. I'm over it.

I always love Gail, however, and thought her judging was thoughtful and kind, and that she looked fabulous. I continue to adore Stephanie Izard and just want to be her best friend.

I'm still rooting for Dan, Soo, and Michelle (while side-eyeing her for that FOH BS). I liked Laura here more than usual (I find her dour and borderline rude most of the time), and truly thought both teams worked well together overall.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Grumpbump said:

All I got out of Restaurant Wars is that I want my curls to look like Stephaine Izard's.  Gorgeous.

She was on Wildcard Kitchen with Joe Sasto and Justin Sutherland where they acknowledged the moustache, the beard and Stephanie’s fabulous hair!

I’m in my own corner but I always enjoy Restaurant Wars. I like the drama with all the bungled tickets etc. As for this season, it’s ok but I’m not finding it riveting. 

• Like 11

That pork loin dish looked so very basic — sliced pork with some pineapple pieces on it. I can do that at home while also catching up on laundry. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
(edited)

I can do better than that pork loin dish by getting a prepared pork loin from my local grocery store.    They have ready to cook pork loins all ready to bake, with veggies and marinated. 

I can't believe anyone on Kaleena and Laura's team was agreeing not to fire the judges food first.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can do better than that pork loin dish by getting a prepared pork loin from my local grocery store.    They have ready to cook pork loins all ready to bake, with veggies and marinated. 

I can't believe anyone on Kaleena and Laura's team was agreeing not to fire the judges food first.   

The marinated Hormel teriyaki flavor is my favorite. Maybe next time I’ll elevate it with some pineapple.

Agree, it was crazy they delayed the judges’ food like that. The experience of the other diners is always secondary to the judges’. Their opinions are the only ones that count.  

• Like 4
12 hours ago, paramitch said:

He used to be so charming and diffident and now he's just another self-important sourpuss jerk when judging food.

Glad to see my opinion validated. He was such a drag.

• Like 10

Kudos to whoever pointed this out but whatever forces controls the editing and storytelling I can’t not see it now.  Just in this last episode we have the cheftestants talking about how hard or unrealistic the concept of RW is and it’s unnecessary and redundant.  We don’t need that part of the story arc crafted.  What is left behind is more of the actual cooking or analysis of the food or restaurants or the drama that is going on to create interest or a hero or a villain.

And now I think back to all of the guest judges at the elimination challenge whose opinions are not featured.  That sausage challenge…..why not show more of their opinions?  This season is edited oddly.  The info we get we don’t need and doesn’t weave a story.  It feels like too many people who aren’t even introduced, let alone featured for their food opinions and I’m left disjointed.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

I really didn't like the new format they are now using for RW. It has become a shell of what it was originally.In stead of cutting back on what is needed, try expanding it into a two episode instead of one. It has been turned into who can cook the most good dishes. Other things matter no more. I have watched every RW and have seen the quality drop. How can they call it a war when it is not a war any more??

• Like 1

My idea about the issue of having one team of judges who go to one restaurant first and then to the second which is well into service and therefore experiencing timing and serving issues that the first restaurant didn't have: stagger the opening times of the restaurants so that the judges are there for the initial service at each one.  So, one could open at 4 or 5 and the second open at 6 or 7.  The other customers are all getting a free meal and exposure so it shouldn't matter if they are eating earlier or later than would be normal.  Same for the judges.  And, we would be able to watch one restaurant straight through rather than jumping back and forth (I lost track of where we were from time to time during this episode).

I think that Michelle and Danny should have received notes from the judges about their interactions.  For Michelle to ignore the judges until the first dish came out?  Has she never watched this show before?  The judges want TOTAL VIP treatment.  And, Danny?  Have you also never watched this show before?  The only table, and therefore the only order, that matters is the judges.  If the other restaurant did not have similar issues, I think their team would have lost for those two issues alone.  I have never worked in a restaurant, but enjoy this show and even I know that the judges are the only ones who matter on this show unless it's a challenge in which the other attendees vote.

This whole season seems lackluster to me but I think it's because it got off to a slow start as the initial challenges were confusing (instructions) so we saw more mediocre dishes.  Now that the challenges are clearer, the level of food seems to have gone up.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I have never worked in a restaurant, but enjoy this show and even I know that the judges are the only ones who matter on this show unless it's a challenge in which the other attendees vote.

I agree pretty much with your entire post. I was saying the same thing while we were watching it. My sister said maybe they were trying to be "real world," but I said "This is NOT the real world."

• Like 5