Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: An Ankle Monitor And A Big Plastic Crap House

• Start Topic

Thursday, April 18 2024, 8pm EDT

Synopsis: Sheldon studies to be Meemaw's lawyer when she is put on house arrest, and the Coopers have a plumbing emergency.

I thought he looked like Sheldon too!

So it took a porta potty to finally break Mandy into moving in with her parents and Mary into taking dirty money. Don't blame them. Like Sheldon, I wouldn’t want to use it…though why didn’t he just go in the bushes instead of using the Sparks’ chicken coop?

Audrey continues to be the worst bitch.

• Like 15

Boring episode when half of it involves the baby/marriage/in-laws crap.  And all of that part has now completely set-up the final pieces of the stupid spinoff I will never view an episode of.

When even seeing Dale on screen is a relief to escape the above you know that spin-off is going to be DOA.

I want to see "Sheldon:The College Years" instead.  I'm still in the dark here how he went not being able to stand being around other students to suddenly having two roommates.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I loved that Connie gave Mary that roll of bills and Mary said "Thank you Mommy".  It was a quick moment but it was loving and we don't see that very often with Mary and Connie.

In fairness to Audrey I don't know that I entirely blame her for not being happy that her daughter ended up pregnant by a high school dropout who is still in his teens.  That said I am guessing she wouldn't have reacted much differently no matter who Mandy had gotten involved with.  I did like that she seems, however reluctantly, prepared to give Georgie a chance.  Given that we know his future 

Spoiler

Dr. Tire

at some point she hopefully makes her peace with him.

11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So it took a porta potty to finally break Mandy into moving in with her parents and Mary into taking dirty money. Don't blame them. Like Sheldon, I wouldn’t want to use it…though why didn’t he just go in the bushes instead of using the Sparks’ chicken coop?

Agree, I thought that was silly for Sheldon to use the chicken coop rather than the bushes.  I suppose it was just so Jim Parson's could deliver his line afterwards.

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Agree, I thought that was silly for Sheldon to use the chicken coop rather than the bushes.

Especially since it's well established that he's terrified of birds.

• Like 16
12 hours ago, Skooma said:

And all of that part has now completely set-up the final pieces of the stupid spinoff I will never view an episode of.

Yes, nothing has convinced me yet that the spin off is something I want to watch regularly.  I'll watch the pilot and make a final determination, but I can't see what the interest in the the show is going to be. I still would rather have seen a Missy/Paige spin off.  (Though a Sheldon: The College Years would be the worst spinoff, IMO. Sorry.)

• Like 9

IMDB has finally filled out the cast list for this episode. The lawyer may have been played by Nicholas Heffelfinger. He does a great impression of Iain Armitage if it is him.

• Like 1

I assume he went in the chicken coop for privacy? Either way, don't blame him for not wanting to use the porta potty. Also, what happened to George in the last scene would be one of my biggest nightmares.

Georgie certainly has stepped up, and I especially loved seeing him read to Cece. I'm glad his father-in-law is on his side. His mother-in-law is a piece of work. I can see not being happy about the situation, but he's working hard to prove himself, give the guy a chance.

• Like 14
15 hours ago, Skooma said:

I'm still in the dark here how he went not being able to stand being around other students to suddenly having two roommates.

The alternative is being at home with too many people and a baby which cries some of the time.  He chose what was the lesser of two evils to him.

4 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Agree, I thought that was silly for Sheldon to use the chicken coop rather than the bushes.  I suppose it was just so Jim Parson's could deliver his line afterwards.

I took it as the fear of being partially undressed outside where someone might see him trumped his fear of birds.  At least they appear to have been caged in the coop.

• Like 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, Mona Lisa said:

at some point she hopefully makes her peace with him.

I think seeing the way Georgie interacted with his daughter started to change her mind. She may hold some things against him and constantly remind Mandy of all of Georgie's faults, but I think Audrey was at least starting to see and notice some of Georgie's good qualities. 

1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Georgie certainly has stepped up, and I especially loved seeing him read to Cece. I'm glad his father-in-law is on his side. His mother-in-law is a piece of work. I can see not being happy about the situation, but he's working hard to prove himself, give the guy a chance.

The thing about Georgie is that he will rise to the occasion if given responsibility for others. He was always somewhat aware of his obligations to his family.

He's a great dad. Reading to his baby daughter is one of the absolute best things he could be doing for her long term, and he makes sure all her physical needs are taken care of as well. 

3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I still would rather have seen a Missy/Paige spin off. 

I did not realize this was a hypothetical option. I love it. I would much rather have this than the Georgie/Mandy spin-off. If Paige made it through her self destructive streak, it would be wonderful to see Paige and Missy being teenage girls. Missy is the perfect friend for Paige because she is the one person who treats Paige like a normal teenage girl instead of like a super special genius.  

Keep in mind, I am operating under TVLand/Sitcom logic for this premise. Paige's parents have seen how well the Coopers have done with Sheldon, so they allow Paige to live with them while she attends college.  I'll admit, it's pretty much my Young Missy spin-off with the addition of Paige, but I absolutely love the idea of adding Paige as a regular character to the mix. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 6

I also liked that they mentioned the sheriff that Connie had been paying off.  I don't think they said why he flipped on her but I was glad they didn't just ignore that.  Sitcoms aren't always that great about continuity so this was a box ticked for me.  I just hope Connie really doesn't get back into the games room business.  I hated that whole storyline.  Of course we only have a few weeks left so likely they have other issues to resolve and won't spend too much time on that one.

19 minutes ago, Mona Lisa said:

I also liked that they mentioned the sheriff that Connie had been paying off.  I don't think they said why he flipped on her but I was glad they didn't just ignore that. 

He probably got busted doing something that even IAB in Texas couldn’t ignore and decided to throw Connie under the bus to get himself out of hot water.

• Like 11
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Yes, nothing has convinced me yet that the spin off is something I want to watch regularly.  I'll watch the pilot and make a final determination, but I can't see what the interest in the the show is going to be. I still would rather have seen a Missy/Paige spin off.  (Though a Sheldon: The College Years would be the worst spinoff, IMO. Sorry.)

Same. I love Georgie but can't stand Mandy. There really isn't anything about their relationship to make me invested in a spin-off. I feel like the heavy focus on them this season is dragging the show down as it is. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
(edited)

The more I see of the precursor to the "Georgie and Mandy Show" the less it appeals to me.  Unless they find a way to keep the rest of the original cast around the less interesting it will be to me.  I love Will Sasso and I've seen the woman that plays his wife on other shows before and both have been way more interesting elsewhere.

I did love it that Mandy had a Donny Osmond poster in her bedroom, but she would have been kind of young to have been a Donny fan, at least at the age he was in the poster when teen magazines were still featuring him.  I was a Donny fan, but he was close to my age and by the time she came along he was at the end of being featured as a teen idol anymore.  He is about 9 months older than me and she would have been about 10 years younger.  The Donny and Marie show would have ended when she was about 11.  A little young, I think, but OK.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4

I don't understand how they could have a Georgie spinoff without any of his family especially if they still live in the same town. The only way I can see this happening is if Georgie and Mandy move out of Texas. I thought for sure Sheldon was going to use the sink in the garage. 

• Like 8
50 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I don't understand how they could have a Georgie spinoff without any of his family especially if they still live in the same town. The only way I can see this happening is if Georgie and Mandy move out of Texas. I thought for sure Sheldon was going to use the sink in the garage. 

I think they would have to, but so far I don't think we've heard anything about who will or won't be featured from "Young Sheldon" on the spin-off.  I think we can presume that at some point Sheldon himself will be not be around and of course George Sr. too.  But all the others are unknown at this point.  For all we know the spin-off might also feature sub-plots featuring Missy, Mary and the rest.  But if too many of the characters are featured it will not really be a spin-off but more like "The Connors" which is really just "Roseanne" without Roseanne.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I did love it that Mandy had a Donny Osmond poster in her bedroom, but she would have been kind of young to have been a Donny fan, at least at the age he was in the poster when teen magazines were still featuring him. 

Good catch!  I loved seeing that poster up and it was a nice way to remind everyone about the age difference between Georgie and Mandy.

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The Donny and Marie show would have ended when she was about 11. 

Georgie was supposed to be born in 1975 and Mandy is 10 years older than he is so it makes sense to me that she could have been a Donny fan since she specifically references The Donny and Marie Show (1976-1979).

It was funny how she had the Donny Osmond poster. Her room was just as she left it. My Mom was the same way. I was 40 before she finally turned my room into her knitting area. 😀

As far as the spinoff is concerned, Im hopeful for all looking forward to it but I probably won’t be watching. I feel that Chuck Lorre and his producers/writers eventually ruined YS and will do the same to the spinoff…which is weaker to begin with due to some very unlikeable characters (ie. Mandy & Audrey).

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

I feel that Chuck Lorre and his producers/writers eventually ruined YS and will do the same to the spinoff

I agree, I think in part it's inevitable with most long running series that the writers run out of ideas or go down paths long time viewers hate (Lorre did this with BBT and with Two and a Half Men) but does YS really qualify as long running?  Nice run, for sure, but long running?  Arguable. 

Anyway the things that got introduced into YS that have spoiled it for me came along a lot sooner in the run of this show than they did in his other shows.  So this isn't giving me much confidence with the YS spin off.  I think I will read what others hear think about it after it starts airing before I watch!

(edited)
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I love Will Sasso and I've seen the woman that plays his wife on other shows before and both have been way more interesting elsewhere.

Agree. Will Sasso is killing it, and they aren't even giving him that much to do.

Rachel Bay Jones is playing the mom. She's a superb actor, and has won an Emmy, Grammy, Tony (three of the four EGOT). I remember her best from God Friended Me, the first time I saw her on TV. Then she was on United States of Al. She's clearly a good actor, but she's being written as a harpy. A little too much, if you ask me.

Edited by astrohip
typo
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Mona Lisa said:

Georgie was supposed to be born in 1975 and Mandy is 10 years older than he is so it makes sense to me that she could have been a Donny fan since she specifically references The Donny and Marie Show (1976-1979).

I lose track of show time because unless you figure out from BBT canon what age Sheldon was supposed to be when he was doing certain things it's hard because they've lengthened the later years so much to keep the show on the air.  Also, further complicating it is that Mandy supposedly lied about her age to Georgie and told him she was 26 when she was really older, right?  So it's confusing and consulting websites has only made me convinced that I'm not the only one confused about it.  But I wonder if we're going to find out that she's really even older than 29 or whatever age she said she was the second time.  When Georgie saw the Donny poster and said to her, "Just how old are you?" it made me wonder about that.

15 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Rachel Bay Jones is playing the mom. She's a superb actor, and has won an Emmy, Grammy, Tony (three of the four EGOT). I remember her best from God Friended Me, the first time I saw her on TV. Then she was on United States of Al. She's clearly a good actor, but she's being written as a harpy. A little too much, if you ask me.

Yes I knew her from "God Friended Me" too, and I liked her better there.  I've seen her in other places going back years too.  I go way back with Will all the way to "Mad TV".

3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

But I wonder if we're going to find out that she's really even older than 29 or whatever age she said she was the second time.

I just googled their ages and, at least according to the sites I found they say Georgie was born in 1975 and Mandy was born in 1963.  So she's actually 12 years older than Georgie?  This explains better why she'd be into Donny Osmond but makes it even more confusing to me that Mary and Audrey wanted them to get married!

On 4/18/2024 at 8:55 PM, Spartan Girl said:

though why didn’t he just go in the bushes instead of using the Sparks’ chicken coop?

On 4/19/2024 at 12:13 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

I assume he went in the chicken coop for privacy?

On 4/19/2024 at 12:49 PM, proserpina65 said:

I took it as the fear of being partially undressed outside where someone might see him trumped his fear of birds.  At least they appear to have been caged in the coop.

10 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I thought for sure Sheldon was going to use the sink in the garage. 

Yes, isn't that what the sink in the garage is for? (according to Georgie)  Poor chickens.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mona Lisa said:

Nice run, for sure, but long running?  Arguable. 

In terms of whether or not the show has had a long run; by modern standards yes, but by older standards no. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, astrohip said:

Agree. Will Sasso is killing it, and they aren't even giving him that much to do.

I saw Rachel Bay Jones on Broadway years ago. She was terrific. However, the character is too unpleasant here. I cringe whenever she is on screen.

I cracked up at the outhouse. 

I really enjoy this show and will miss it when it ends. I've grown attached to Missy and the rest of the family. 

• Like 3
On 4/19/2024 at 10:32 PM, Yeah No said:

The Donny and Marie show would have ended when she was about 11.  A little young, I think, but OK.

I was thinking it was earlier because I liked Donny Osmond when I was 8, but I see that it ended when I was 14.  Wow.  I'd obviously moved on after about the first season since I definitely was over him by the time I hit 12.  Must've been the Star Wars effect.

On 4/20/2024 at 11:28 AM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I thought for sure Sheldon was going to use the sink in the garage. 

That would've made sense.  Perhaps he was too icked about to do that?

On 4/20/2024 at 4:10 PM, Mona Lisa said:

This explains better why she'd be into Donny Osmond but makes it even more confusing to me that Mary and Audrey wanted them to get married!

Because of the baby.  Only because of the baby.

• Like 4
On 4/20/2024 at 11:24 AM, Yeah No said:

I think they would have to, but so far I don't think we've heard anything about who will or won't be featured from "Young Sheldon" on the spin-off.  I think we can presume that at some point Sheldon himself will be not be around and of course George Sr. too.  But all the others are unknown at this point.  For all we know the spin-off might also feature sub-plots featuring Missy, Mary and the rest.  But if too many of the characters are featured it will not really be a spin-off but more like "The Connors" which is really just "Roseanne" without Roseanne.

There was a media report that Missy was not in the spin off.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

There was a media report that Missy was not in the spin off.

By her request. She wants to try new things. She doesn't want to be pigeonholed playing a 13 year old kid. I think she's 15/16 in real life, and wants to try some other things in the acting world.

Good for her, turning down easy money for a real challenge.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, astrohip said:

Good for her, turning down easy money for a real challenge.

My thought was her lack of story line, other than really stepping up after the storm and organizing everyone and taking control of the household while Mary and Sheldon were in Germany she has nothing other than some of the pest throw away lines in the show and always had.

• Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My thought was her lack of story line

I agree, though that might not be foremost in her reasoning. According to reports "...the actress revealed she has not been invited to partake in the project."

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 2

I love Georgie but I really don't care about the spin-off. I'll probably give it a shot, but I am really not a huge fan of Mancy so I am not super excited. I don't dislike her, but she is just kind of there for me.

I can get Audrey not being thrilled about the situation, but she really needs to chill out and stop being such an asshole. Georgie might not be what she pictured for a son in law, but hopefully she comes around to see his good qualities. 

That outhouse was hilariously awful, Mary even took devil money because she couldn't handle it!

• Like 6

I probably haven't seen every episode, but I seem to remember that Mandy's family does not live anywhere near Medford. But now it appears they all live in the same town? 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, J-Man said:

I probably haven't seen every episode, but I seem to remember that Mandy's family does not live anywhere near Medford. But now it appears they all live in the same town? 

Medford is her hometown, her Dad owns the tire store there.  She was the one who moved away for school and for work and had only recently come back to Medford after she lost her job as a weather girl.  I don't remember exactly when we're told that she hasn't seen her parents for years or why but since we know what her Mom is like I guess it's not too surprising there was a big blow up at some time in the past.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:50 PM, Mona Lisa said:

I also liked that they mentioned the sheriff that Connie had been paying off.  I don't think they said why he flipped on her but I was glad they didn't just ignore that.  Sitcoms aren't always that great about continuity so this was a box ticked for me.  I just hope Connie really doesn't get back into the games room business.  I hated that whole storyline.  Of course we only have a few weeks left so likely they have other issues to resolve and won't spend too much time on that one.

I hope she goes to jail. I can’t stand her

19 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I hope she goes to jail. I can’t stand her

Based on this episode and what her Sheldon-look a like lawyer told her if she pleads guilty, pays a fine and does some community service  it all goes away.  

I thought it was interesting that Mandy's father seemed to be aware of a number of similar establishments in the back rooms of other businesses in Medford.  No idea if that reflected the reality of the times or not.

1 hour ago, Mona Lisa said:

I thought it was interesting that Mandy's father seemed to be aware of a number of similar establishments in the back rooms of other businesses in Medford.  No idea if that reflected the reality of the times or not.

I would have thought Connie of all people would have known about any illegal gambling rooms in her area, she loves to gamble. 

About 15 years ago I was at a local watering hole when one of the local bar stool holder downers told me about the liquor store down the street has a gambling room upstairs, my husband told me I believe everything anyone tells me (SOOOO NOT TRUE), he happened to be in that liquor store on another occasion and the owner let him see a closed circuit TV that showed the action upstairs hoping to get him up there...that room is still there and I sort of love knowing about it but never plan to visit. 

Connie might win big at the casino so her money woes are taken care of and can rebuild her house, maybe?

• Like 1