Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E05: Never Felt So Alone

• Start Topic

Airing April 11, 2024

It's all hands on deck at Grey Sloan when a group of medical students is injured by a floor collapsing at their white coat party. Jo and Link are forced to talk about the future, while Jules confronts Winston about his attitude.

(edited)

Half the time it seems like Meredith doesn't even like Nick.

Simone and Kwan successfully persuaded the suicidal intern med student to come down from the roof, Lucas got the win with the surgery, Jules is fitting nicely into Winston's service, and Yasuda - ran the fasttrack pit and got puked on by drunk med students all night. What was the point of that? 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 5

Why did it seem like the drunk students didn't get any less drunk while they were in the ER? The one guy got an MRI for a dislocated shoulder. You cannot tell me that didn't take hours in a busy hospital. But the blond guy was still apparently just as inebriated as when they got there.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Guy is literally on the edge and Bailey's first thought is "I told her to go home"?

I noticed that too!  It was an odd comment given the circumstances, and you'd think Ben and Bailey would have done more than just watched.     

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Simone and Kwan successfully persuaded the suicidal intern to come down from the roof,

I think he was just a first year med student, no? 

2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

What the heck.  I thought Mer had left the show?

She's not a regular anymore, but they've said she will still appear on some episodes. 

Weren't Jo and Lincoln paged to the ER at the beginning of the episode?  Did either actually ever go to check on what was happening, or were they just exiled to their baby storyline the whole time? 

• Like 5

Meredith is just so unpleasant. Why does Nick even want to be with her? Why are Jo and Linc even talking about babies, they rarely see the ones they have. Still don’t think Helm should be sleeping with an intern but that’s a given on this show.

• Like 8

Jo and Link's oops-maybe-she's-pregnant storyline only made me miss Jo/Alex and Link/Amelia, and did Luna magically improve her hearing loss? Neither of them mentioned that being a reason for not having another baby right now, only that Luna and Scout were still in diapers.

• Like 4

Is it me or has Meredith been wearing that Dijon mustard-coloured cable knit sweater constantly for the last two or so years? I'm honestly starting to wonder if there's some Sixth Sense style plot twist coming that she's actually been dead since she left for Boston and that's why we always see her in that same sweater.

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

I'm starting  to really dislike Meredith,  I get it, he's  your child, and you worry. But man she's mean to Nick. There was no need to speak to him like that. I love Scott Speedman,so I'm angry at her.! 

Jo and Linc, sometimes  they seem like a nice couple, tonight they sounded looney tunes.

• Like 7
(edited)

Nick is good enough to look after her three kids when Mer wants to work on the other side of the country, but she treats him like an incompetent baby sitter, not her boyfriend, one who is an actual doctor, who one day be the kids step father. She shows him no respect.  Time to walk. away.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1

The patient being on the literal edge was dire but there’s this…idek distance? regarding the way they handle the more ‘issue heavy’ episodes. Very PSA in execution and performance. Not to sound all ‘good old days’ but there was a certain level of grit and realism that grounded the show’s more exaggerated plots and that energy has been lacking from the show for a good decade.

For instance, during this episode I kept thinking about that time in s4 (?) when Ava attempted to take her life on Meredith’s couch only for Meredith to come home and have to clean up the blood. It was grim and harrowing and what’s more, the storyline was actually compelling. I didn’t get that same impression here. Obviously the message was important and it’s a one-off patient so it isn’t the same but still, there was no real sense of foreboding or urgency to me. But honestly that’s been the vibe of the post Derek-Cristina era of Greys in general. I’m aware that they have to adjust to account for 20 years of storytelling but even when these newer seasons are at their best they’re still so bland. Watchable, but lacking.  

But I did enjoy this episode on the whole, especially Yasuda’s patient, who was convincingly annoying but not over the top. But now Helm’s professionally blocking Yasuda? It’ll probably come down to her wanting to avoid accusations of favouritism due to their being a couple but jeez Yasuda can’t catch a break. I did like her little scene with Jules though. Their friendship is cute, as was the end scene with Simone and Lucas. They irritated me with all the-will they-won’t-they and Lucas’ man baby entitlement but I don’t actually mind them together. Makes Lucas more tolerable at least. 

Also, I just realized this was the mid season finale. Hm. Not bad but for a 10 episode season things sure are moving slow. 

• Like 4

I thought this was a pretty decent episode.

I’m starting to like most of the interns, and was impressed that Blue was honest with the patient on the roof- I think that honesty is what got the patient to come down.

Mer does treat Nick badly.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Nick is good enough to look after her three kids when Mer wants to work on the other side of the country, but she treats him like an incompetent baby sitter, not her boyfriend, one who is an actual doctor, who one day be the kids step father. She shows him no respect.

Yeah, the only real mistake Nick made was not immediately telling Meredith he was taking Bailey to the hospital.  That's the kind of thing you don't wait to tell a parent.  Of course, if he had, then we wouldn't have gotten the drama. 

17 minutes ago, babyrambo said:

The patient being on the literal edge was dire but there’s this…idek distance? regarding the way they handle the more ‘issue heavy’ episodes. Very PSA in execution and performance.

The whole thing felt very performative.  The way it was handled made me think the patient simply wanted attention and wasn't really suicidal.  ER did an episode during it's first season where Carter is treating a patient and he realizes the patient is transgender woman. Carter reacts to the patient with prejudice.  The patient was suicidal but Carter doesn't realize it, and later during the episode, the patient gets to the roof and actually jumps while Carter tries to intercede.  Noah Wyle's acting isn't the best during that plot, but it felt more real than this one.             

• Like 6
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Nick is good enough to look after her three kids when Mer wants to work on the other side of the country, but she treats him like an incompetent baby sitter, not her boyfriend, one who is an actual doctor, who one day be the kids step father. She shows him no respect.  Time to walk. away.  

Yeah, Nick needs to walk away. This is the woman who wouldn't say I love you and just up and left for Boston, ghosting him for months. Then she doesn't even apologize to him when they meet back up. Nick made a mistake, getting back together with someone who really couldn't care less about him. It's a shame, I used to like the two together but something changed in season 18/19 for them.

I agree, the suicide ideation plot was performative. They basically only went a quarter of the way and for what? To reveal that Kwan, too, has had suicidal thoughts? 

I assume Helm did what she did to avoid favoritism accusations. Because Helm could get in trouble if she allows Mika to get involved in a surgery when the interns are told they can't.

Jules/Winston scenes were good enough, I guess she's the one who has figured out her specialty first. I think this mentorship could be great for Jules and also for Winston, as long as they don't sleep together.

Jo/Link are absolutely terrible. Both don't know the use of protection and safe sex, and one doesn't know how to read a freaking pregnancy test. Hilarious. Also, I'm guessing the show has either abandoned Luna's hearing loss or they think that the problem is so easily solvable and now Jo/Link can have another kid. But hey, at least they're planning another kid instead of the 15th surprise oopsie pregnancy, like this false alarm was.

The episode was fine, but more on the dull side. They didn't do a whole lot with the patients, and with the med students. But it was fine, just not an episode I'll rewatch.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Yeah, my mouth literally fell open when she dismissed him with that curt "You can go now." I was going to say that it was like he was the hired help, but shit, Meredith, you shouldn't even talk that way to folks that work for you.  Fuck that noise.  #freeNick

• Like 4
  • Applause 5

Camilla Luddington is pregnant in real life  . . . no? Either that or she has gained a lot of weight. Her face seems wider and fuller and she's thicker around the middle. I figured that's why they wrote a pregnancy story into the show, but then it turned out she wasn't pregnant, so WTF.

I get that the suicide attempt story was meant to be all serious, but whenever they do these kinds of stories where someone is standing on the edge of the roof, I just want someone to sneak up behind them and yank them down. There were so many opportunities for that to happen. And I know, I know, you're not supposed to do that. But I can't help yelling "just grab him while his back is turned!"

• Like 3

Nick needs to leave Meredith and sue for custody. I get it that he's not their bio dad but he seems to be the custodial parent. Meredith is a piece of work. Was this whole episode designed to make us hate her? Cause it worked on me.

• Like 4
(edited)

When he woke up, Bailey asked for Nick.  Wonder if it will make Mer regret dismissing him or make her madder?

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 4
20 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Neither of them mentioned that being a reason for not having another baby right now, only that Luna and Scout were still in diapers

That scene just made me wonder how time passes on Grey's. Scout was born at the end of season 16, so based on real time he should be turning 4. Luna was born in season 17, so she should be 3. Shouldn't they be mostly out of diapers by now?

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Has Grey's ever gone there with the attempted suicide of a doctor? That's where I thought they might be going after they got Eddie off the roof, when Ben and Bailey were having their talk at the coffee cart about the interns. 

(Not that I want this show to steal another storyline from ER and do it poorly. But ER did this storyline in the early years with an intern and to this day I remember the moment where they paged the intern to the case and realized the beeping from the pager was coming from their patient that had just stepped in front of a train...)

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

(Not that I want this show to steal another storyline from ER and do it poorly. But ER did this storyline in the early years with an intern and to this day I remember the moment where they paged the intern to the case and realized the beeping from the pager was coming from their patient that had just stepped in front of a train...)

Remind me what happened to George. I’m vaguely remembering his storyline echoed the one from ER, but maybe in George’s case, there wasn’t the suicidal intent?

• Like 1

I thought Miranda’s hubby fireman was going to get those big airbags things set up.  But no he just watches those two try to talk him down.  Made no sense . 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Remind me what happened to George. I’m vaguely remembering his storyline echoed the one from ER, but maybe in George’s case, there wasn’t the suicidal intent?

He got hit by a bus trying to save someone else from being hit by it.

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

He got hit by a bus trying to save someone else from being hit by it.

Didn’t he have the same deal where his pager went off when he was on the table?  I know we’re by now off topic for the current episode, but now I’m just trying to remember. 

18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Didn’t he have the same deal where his pager went off when he was on the table?  I know we’re by now off topic for the current episode, but now I’m just trying to remember. 

No, he traced "007" (I forget why they called him that) on Meredith's hand and she figured out it was him, then Callie remembered a birthmark he had and checked for it to confirm.

https://greysanatomy.fandom.com/wiki/George_O'Malley#Death

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Has Grey's ever gone there with the attempted suicide of a doctor? That's where I thought they might be going after they got Eddie off the roof, when Ben and Bailey were having their talk at the coffee cart about the interns. 

Chicago Med had this storyline a few years back.   Young doctor overwhelmed, made a mistake, jumped off the roof. 

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No, he traced "007" (I forget why they called him that) on Meredith's hand and she figured out it was him, then Callie remembered a birthmark he had and checked for it to confirm.

https://greysanatomy.fandom.com/wiki/George_O'Malley#Death

IIRC (and I may not), the "007" was from his early intern days when he lost one or more patients, and someone (probably Alex) gave him the 007 moniker (i.e., James Bond "license to kill") 😂 Kinda sick humor, but I think that's where that came from

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, transitfan said:

IIRC (and I may not), the "007" was from his early intern days when he lost one or more patients, and someone (probably Alex) gave him the 007 moniker (i.e., James Bond "license to kill") 😂 Kinda sick humor, but I think that's where that came from

That makes sense. The wiki article I linked above says it was Christina, but (at least from what I caught from skimming) didn't say why she called him that.

What had Ellen Pompeo done to her face?  Is it fillers?  This filler trend makes everyone look like they are on prednisone and have moon face.

• Like 5
20 hours ago, DEL901 said:

In fairness, I don't think it was established he committed suicide.  There was an open question as to whether the character jumped or fell.  I think Carter made assumptions, because he blamed Benton for the death. 

Doctors at Grey Sloane are more likely to die from trigger happy relatives of dead patients, electrocution, plane crashes or stabby child traffickers. 

I also did not understand why firefighter Ben just stood there watching the whole scene.  It seemed like it would be a good idea to call out the rescue squad than just hope some interns would handle things themselves. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

also did not understand why firefighter Ben just stood there watching the whole scene.  It seemed like it would be a good idea to call out the rescue squad than just hope some interns would handle things themselves. 

Maybe I dozed off and fantasized this, but I thought I saw the rescue team (the Station 19 people?) mobilizing with a rescue net or something, after presumably being advised of the situation. But I could be likely been misremembering. 

• Like 1

From the shallow end of the pool: Ellen used to be so pretty, what has she done to her face? And it’s not just aging, lots of aging actresses still look like themselves just older, this is something else?

are they trying to make Mer so unpleasant we’ll be happy when they write her off and we won’t miss her. Nick should pack his bags, he can do way better than being treated like some incompetent babysitter. I was embarrassed for him.

not a bad episode, they’ve been pretty unwatchable lately but maybe they’re finally finding their groove.

• Like 2
On 4/13/2024 at 2:04 AM, iMonrey said:

Camilla Luddington is pregnant in real life  . . . no? Either that or she has gained a lot of weight. Her face seems wider and fuller and she's thicker around the middle. I figured that's why they wrote a pregnancy story into the show, but then it turned out she wasn't pregnant, so WTF.

I get that the suicide attempt story was meant to be all serious, but whenever they do these kinds of stories where someone is standing on the edge of the roof, I just want someone to sneak up behind them and yank them down. There were so many opportunities for that to happen. And I know, I know, you're not supposed to do that. But I can't help yelling "just grab him while his back is turned!"

I came here looking to see if anyone else thought Camilla Luddington was pregnant too. I honestly thought that Jo would be pregnant after she saidnshe was late. 

On a side note, does Amelia ever have Scout? I found it odd when Amelia said the Shepard legacy would end with her. Meredith and Derek have kids, her other sisters have kids, Lucas is not the only Shepard son or daughter that can become a surgeon, she even has a kid!

• Like 2