Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: End On A High Note

• Start Topic

Margaret and Todd defend international opera star, supreme diva and Lyle's mother, Jaqueline (Jenifer Lewis), on the CBS Original drama SO HELP ME TODD, Thursday, April 11 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

SHMT205Storyline_html_7d5a65cb5fbfac72.j

Jenifer Lewis as Jacqueline Burton, Lyle’s Mother, international opera star
Garfield Wilson as Detective Benson
Jorden Birch as Officer Sarandos

1711099467_header.jpg

Karin Konoval as Magda Jennings
Yu Matsushita as Aubrey
Paloma Garcia-Lee as Lainey Belfort
Lola Clare as Opera Actor
Thomas Darya as Petey Petersen
C.J. Wilkins as Stage Manager

so-help-me-todd-season-2-episode-5d.jpg

• Love 1

Okay, I was fooled! I thought, once poison was discovered, that the weapon was really those roses from the Super-fan! 

And haha to the shout-out about having "perfect pitch," with Skylar one of the stars of...."Pitch Perfect"! 😉 😁 🎶

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I wanted to smack the bejeepers out of Lyle's selfish diva mother, but their bonding together at the end was sweet. And I'm hoping Allison does start getting herself back into a real life, because despite myself, I'm liking her more and more these days. The bonding moment between her and Todd made me "Aww!" out loud.

I also really don't get where they're going with Beverly; I'd like some movement on that front (preferably out of the firm, because I don't trust or like her).

But the best part for me was the preview for next week—looks like Dean Winters will be back! Although much as I love him, his character could get overwhelming really quickly, so I think he'll probably be best in small doses. I would like to see Gus again, too, who I can take in bigger doses.

• Like 5
(edited)

Such great guest stars they’ve had this season- they’ve all had such great chemistry with the main characters. 

Nice episode filled with a lot of much needed family healing. The scene between Todd and Allison was much needed, and it made sense why she didn’t want to leave Todd. It was also nice to see Lyle’s mom, and she was so over the top but seemed to finally meet Lyle half way. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 3

I feel bad for Allison struggling as she has this season, but her girlfailure era and everyone's reaction to it is comedy gold.

I wish Margaret would just tell Susan the firm can't afford to promote her. It's just silly to alienate her like this.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

This was a fun episode, and Jenifer Lewis was "pitch perfect" as Jacqueline. Superb casting choice there. I loved the whole bit where she was convinced Allison was a ghost. My only quibble was that I knew right away Magda the assistant was the real murderer. The TV guy was way too obviously a red herring.

I don't get where they are going with Beverly and Susan either. What exactly is Beverly grooming Susan for? I'm thinking maybe she plans to start a new firm herself and bring Susan with her? What I hope is that Susan is secretly going along with it just to bring Beverly down and oust her from the company so she can become the new partner herself. Or at least get that promotion she wants.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, incandescent said:

I wish Margaret would just tell Susan the firm can't afford to promote her. It's just silly to alienate her like this.

Agreed.  I asked in a previous episode why Margaret couldn't give Susan the promotion, explain that the firm couldn't afford to give her a raise yet, and promise to give her the raise when they could.  In most companies the salaries for different levels overlap a lot.  If this company's rules require that Susan get a raise if she gets a promotion, they should say so.  (One of my TV pet peeves is the gaping plot hole that could have been fixed by writing a few lines.)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get where they are going with Beverly and Susan either. What exactly is Beverly grooming Susan for? I'm thinking maybe she plans to start a new firm herself and bring Susan with her? What I hope is that Susan is secretly going along with it just to bring Beverly down and oust her from the company so she can become the new partner herself. Or at least get that promotion she wants.

In this episode they made a point of saying how both Margaret and the office manager (sorry, can't remember her name) thought they already paid one of the vendors.  That made me thing someone inside is stealing funds and that's why they have no money.  Maybe it's Beverly and Susan has somehow caught on to that and is trying to get close to her to suss it out?  Susan's behavior towards Margaret has been really out of character so I hope it's something like that.  Beverly I believe is just "grooming" Susan so she can have access to Susan's husband.  Beverly mentioned something about Susan being "connected".  If Susan were married to a janitor/detective :-) I don't think Beverly would be taking this kind of interest in her. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, I Want My MBTV said:

In this episode they made a point of saying how both Margaret and the office manager (sorry, can't remember her name) thought they already paid one of the vendors.  That made me thing someone inside is stealing funds and that's why they have no money.  Maybe it's Beverly and Susan has somehow caught on to that and is trying to get close to her to suss it out?  Susan's behavior towards Margaret has been really out of character so I hope it's something like that.  Beverly I believe is just "grooming" Susan so she can have access to Susan's husband.  Beverly mentioned something about Susan being "connected".  If Susan were married to a janitor/detective :-) I don't think Beverly would be taking this kind of interest in her. 

This all makes sense.
However, additionally, Margaret admitted in this episode she was a little "jealous" of Susan, since Margaret was older when she made partner. 
I wondered too if Margaret is concerned that Todd may still be carrying a torch for Susan.

Didn't Beverly tell Margaret they/she couldn't tell anyone about the financial crisis, and that's why she hasn't told Susan. It had to be dragged out of her to tell her assistant, and Todd figured it out himself.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I hope they know where they're going with this new enmity between Susan and Margaret. 

Is Margaret headed for her own firm, with Todd?  "The Wright Stuff."  "The Wright Lawyer and the Wright Investigator." 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Binged this show over the last month, and I LOVE it. It ticks all my cozy mystery boxes.

This was a fun episode. Jenifer Lewis really is a national treasure. Lyle's annoyance with his mother was both amusing and triggering-lol. He's one of my favorite parts of this show - especially his rivalry and banter with Todd.

I'm loving Todd and Allison's relationship, particularly this season. Their talk at the end was very sweet.

I too wish Margaret would tell Susan why she can't give her the promotion. And I sure hope that Susan realizes that Beverly is using her. It's pretty transparent. Last season, Beverly dangled the named partnership in front of Margaret so she could make her the grim reaper, so maybe Margaret should share that with Susan.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

This was a fun episode and Jenifer Lewis was such a crazy loon delight. Her operatically singing not guilty in court was a highlight

I already didn’t like Beverly last season and I dislike her more this season. It certainly seems like she’s setting Margaret up for something. As noted there seems to be funny business with paying vendors, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Bev is setting Margaret up to take the fall for the firm’s financial issues (and Bev is behind that probably) and oust her from the firm

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

It also wouldn’t surprise me if Francey, Margaret’s executive assistant, is sabotaging things. She indicated she thought she cut a vendor a check, but that could be a lie

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

there seems to be funny business with paying vendors, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Bev is setting Margaret up to take the fall for the firm’s financial issues (and Bev is behind that probably) and oust her from the firm

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

It also wouldn’t surprise me if Francey, Margaret’s executive assistant, is sabotaging things. She indicated she thought she cut a vendor a check, but that could be a lie

Sadly, yes, and yes. 
Hopefully Todd and Lyle will come to the rescue with their sleuthing skills. 
Hey, which one is Sherlock and which one is Watson?

Maybe Susan can be their "inside man."

There could be a twist in which Beverly is actually an innocent dupe, but shouldn't she be too smart and savvy to fall for that sort of thing?

• Like 1
On 4/13/2024 at 12:46 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Is Margaret headed for her own firm, with Todd?  "The Wright Stuff."  "The Wright Lawyer and the Wright Investigator." 

I would love that. Margaret and Susan leave and start their own law firm bringing Todd and Lyle with them, because they have two completely different skill sets. I can picture Todd and Lyle arguing over offices. 

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Hopefully Todd and Lyle will come to the rescue with their sleuthing skills. 
Hey, which one is Sherlock and which one is Watson?

Maybe Susan can be their "inside man."

Todd and Lyle are not Sherlock and Watson. It's a totally different dynamic. It's by the book/booksmarts and way out of the box/streetsmarts.  It has a very 1980s light drama feel to it. I'm thinking Riptide. Lyle is the nerdy one while Todd is a composite of the two cooler guys. Moonlighting or Remington Steele without the will they or won't they romantic tension. 

I'm all for Susan as the "inside man." 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, DanaK said:

It's a plausible way to handle it, but I really hope they don't do this. I like Francey, and I like her friendship with Margaret. I'd miss her on the show. 

• Like 7

Susan's hoped for promotion is for junior partner, right? Making someone a partner isn't the same thing as a promotion at all. Yes, it's a bump up in roles at the firm but it's also buying into the firm. Susan would have to buy in which wouldn't be an issue based on what we know about her financial situation. And let me caveat that I've never become a partner at a law firm for this next part, but I would imagine that you can't just make someone a partner whenever with no input from all the other partners. I don't think it would be on Margaret alone to decide. There would have to be a partners meeting where new partners would be discussed and decided on. Plus, (and again, I don't know for sure) but I imagine a law firm wouldn't just make someone a partner mid-Q2. I would think, because of the financials involved there would be set times in a fiscal year when partners would be added.

I know this is not a realistic show, but it would be nice if there was some sense that this isn't just a promotion. Susan is already a senior associate. She should know what the partner track looks like and when and how she may become a partner.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Susan's hoped for promotion is for junior partner, right? Making someone a partner isn't the same thing as a promotion at all. Yes, it's a bump up in roles at the firm but it's also buying into the firm. Susan would have to buy in which wouldn't be an issue based on what we know about her financial situation. And let me caveat that I've never become a partner at a law firm for this next part, but I would imagine that you can't just make someone a partner whenever with no input from all the other partners. I don't think it would be on Margaret alone to decide. There would have to be a partners meeting where new partners would be discussed and decided on. Plus, (and again, I don't know for sure) but I imagine a law firm wouldn't just make someone a partner mid-Q2. I would think, because of the financials involved there would be set times in a fiscal year when partners would be added.

I know this is not a realistic show, but it would be nice if there was some sense that this isn't just a promotion. Susan is already a senior associate. She should know what the partner track looks like and when and how she may become a partner.

Thank you for this.
It reminds me of plot points from The Good Wife that I had forgotten.

• Like 1
Just now, shapeshifter said:

It reminds me of plot points from The Good Wife that I had forgotten.

I was just coming here to reference that show and one of its best story arcs where the firm, in an effort to deal with some financial issues it was having, offered a partnership to 4 associates as a way to get an influx of cash.  So I'd almost think they'd want to offer a partnership to Susan since she can come up with the money without having to go to the bank. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, vibeology said:

Operative words (italics mine): "...this is not a realistic show."

Edited by LennieBriscoe

I thought it was a little careless of Margaret to just write out another check to the vendor who said they hadn’t been paid without looking into it more. Both she and Francie thought they had paid him already but then it was like oh well, let’s just write another check. Don’t they keep books on those kind of things? I know, nitpicking, but it bugged. I do love the show but it’s definitely one where I have to keep reminding myself not to get too caught up in how realistic something is. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
39 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I thought it was a little careless of Margaret to just write out another check to the vendor who said they hadn’t been paid without looking into it more. Both she and Francie thought they had paid him already but then it was like oh well, let’s just write another check. Don’t they keep books on those kind of things? I know, nitpicking, but it bugged. I do love the show but it’s definitely one where I have to keep reminding myself not to get too caught up in how realistic something is. 

You're not nitpicking. I'm sure it was a that bit with the check was a breadcrumb for us, pointing to a future plot resolution.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Shouldn’t the office have a business manager? The stuff that Margaret and her assistant are doing is not really stuff a named partner would be doing….

The office manager was the woman fired in the beginning of episode 3.

Even though she's been kind of uncharacteristically petulant this season, I really hope Susan is playing Beverly.  She's shown herself to be way too savvy in the past to not see what's going on, even if it's not spelled out to her. The office manager is gone. Todd's noticed the change in coffee, pastries, toilet paper and floral arrangements. Margaret keeps heaping praise upon her but deferring promotion to  senior associate. People are referring to Margaret as the Grim Reaper now. All the clues are there.

Other things of note:

- During that sit down with Margaret in episode 3, Susan said she's been the highest billing associate in the past two years. Definitely explains why Beverly has taken her under her wing now if she's planning on jumping ship, starting a new firm and leave Margaret holding the bag.

- The vendor threatening collections this week, Sam's Bagels & Pastries, is the same one from episode 3. At the end of the episode, Margaret took Sandra Bernard's character's advice and added a 1 to the due date changing it from March 4 to March 14. 

- In the same episode, Alex the forensic accountant used a lifted fingerprint to access Beverly's computer. Maybe she's working with Song to completely bankrupt the firm after he got caught embezzling? Or maybe he was never really the embezzler, Beverly is, and Alex is snooping around for proof?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Remind me, how many partners are left after that embezzler got caught, is it just Beverly and Margaret? As others have said, I can see Bev jumping ship leaving Margaret with a firm that's imploded or doesn't have any money left

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Remind me, how many partners are left after that embezzler got caught, is it just Beverly and Margaret? As others have said, I can see Bev jumping ship leaving Margaret with a firm that's imploded or doesn't have any money left

If Margaret's left holding the bag of the embezzled and now bankrupt firm, would Todd's apartment become the "temporary" new office digs for Margaret? 

If so, would this significantly save costs for the show's production? 
I wouldn't mind the loss of the fancy office suite settings, but I don't want to lose Margaret's wardrobe.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DanaK said:

The original partners were Beverly Crest, Merritt Folding (the voice only heard over the phone so far), and Alistair Song (the embezzler). Margaret essentially took Alistair's place after his ousting, so there's still three name partners.

• Useful 2
On 4/15/2024 at 8:26 AM, vibeology said:

Susan's hoped for promotion is for junior partner, right? Making someone a partner isn't the same thing as a promotion at all. Yes, it's a bump up in roles at the firm but it's also buying into the firm.

I thought she was an associate, hoping for a promotion to Senior Associate. That made sense to me. Because being a partner would obviously be a bigger deal. Also, there are other partners, right? Wouldn't they need to be informed of the financial situation?

I can't really believe that more people aren't aware of it. Even if they didn't tell people, most lawyers should be smart enough to figure out what is going on like Todd did. Isn't Margaret telling people they are being let go for financial reasons?

On 4/16/2024 at 9:53 AM, desertflower said:

I would think a firm of this size would have at least one accountant or finance person. Doesn't seem like it though.

• Like 3

My concern is, who is that guy on the phone? I assume he is Folding the invisible other partner, but how can he never be in the office? The way Crest is acting, and Fong was able to get away with embezzling funds before Todd figured it out, that law firm seems to be hiding so many things.  I love the episodes, but I wouldn't say I like the office dynamics. Now, Margaret has to do all the work to right the ship. Why? Do none of the other partners even care? Still, I love Todd, the mystery, and the Wright family scenes. 

• Like 2
On 4/13/2024 at 10:55 PM, DanaK said:

This was a fun episode and Jenifer Lewis was such a crazy loon delight. Her operatically singing not guilty in court was a highlight

I already didn’t like Beverly last season and I dislike her more this season. It certainly seems like she’s setting Margaret up for something. As noted there seems to be funny business with paying vendors, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Bev is setting Margaret up to take the fall for the firm’s financial issues (and Bev is behind that probably) and oust her from the firm

This is what I’m thinking.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

If Margaret's left holding the bag of the embezzled and now bankrupt firm, would Todd's apartment become the "temporary" new office digs for Margaret? 

If so, would this significantly save costs for the show's production? 

My guess is that the law office is a standing set. The space is already built, dressed, and ready to use in every episode. There is no cost to it after the pilot. 

20 hours ago, enduringforce said:

I love the episodes, but I wouldn't say I like the office dynamics. Now, Margaret has to do all the work to right the ship. Why? Do none of the other partners even care? Still, I love Todd, the mystery, and the Wright family scenes. 

I think this exact reason is why so many people want Margaret and Susan to start their own law firm with Lyle as an investigator and Todd sometimes working for the new firm and sometimes taking outside cases/clients. People like the case of the week, Todd, and the scenes with the family. 

• Useful 1

Lyles mother really annoyed me. She was way over the top for me. But the scene when she kept saying "Magda? Magda? Magda???" had me laughing! Very well done.

• Like 2