Type keyword(s) to search

Except Chelsea (and Cole)

SodaPop
  • Start Topic

43 minutes ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Such a sweet, normal family. My only complaint is it is all too public. She can cut the cord with MTV and they'll be fine. She needs to do that.

I agree with you, except I think she handles what she shares with the public pretty well. I respect that she was able to share her news her way, as opposed to the dramatic way Jenelle & Kail always tend to have their crap put on blast.

• Love 21
2 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I agree with you, except I think she handles what she shares with the public pretty well. I respect that she was able to share her news her way, as opposed to the dramatic way Jenelle & Kail always tend to have their crap put on blast.

Right? Kail and Jenelle would have sold the story. Chelsea didn’t. 

• Love 21
On 3/16/2018 at 10:56 AM, GleamingMist said:

Will they have to move?  How big is their house now?  I actually would be really interested to see them house hunting and figuring out the logistics of moving with small children, animals, etc.  That sounds much more interesting to me than anything the other girls have going on.

I don’t think they will have to move any time soon. They have lots of land (to build an addition if they want it) and even if they wanted to keep a guest room in a 4 bedroom house Watson and the new baby can share for a few years  (that makes more sense to me than making Aubree share with an infant). 

Edited by Scarlett45
Watson isn’t Cole.
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

The thing is Aubree is getting older and does the world really need to see, for example, what an asshole her biological father is?  I don't know. I just will NEVER wrap my head around putting kids and their lives up for public consumption and no matter how much better they are relative to the rest of the Teen Mom cast, living like that is something I'd never do. I think it is harmful, in the long run, for kids. She, Randy, and Cole chose it but the kids don't.

eta: 1.4 million people liked her announcement and ~ 42K commented on it. Those are a lot of eyes paying attention to my kids. Definitely not for me.

Edited by lilmarysunshine
  • Love 7

I see it as a trade-off.  While they obviously lose some privacy, they are financially set for the future.  Like CaliforniaLove mentioned, they control what is shared.  Plus, they live in SD so they don't really have paparazzi.  A couple years after the show ends, almost no one will remember the DeBoers, yet their kids college education will be paid for.

There are "friends" I see on social media everyday who post crazy sad stories about their spouses, kids, families, etc.  I get that they don't have 1.4 million people watching, but they also aren't getting paid and the damage to their kids can be just as traumatic. 

• Love 20
3 hours ago, snarts said:

I see it as a trade-off.  While they obviously lose some privacy, they are financially set for the future.  Like CaliforniaLove mentioned, they control what is shared.  Plus, they live in SD so they don't really have paparazzi.  A couple years after the show ends, almost no one will remember the DeBoers, yet their kids college education will be paid for.

I guess it all boils down to how comfortable you are with all of the attention. I would rather (and do) work a regular job and provide for my kids than take that trade. I am older, though, and am wary of “oversharing,” in general. 

OTOH, maybe they a providing a nice example of turning a bad situation (Adam calling Chelsea fat, Aubree a mistake, etc.) around to a beautiful - Aubree with a dad who adores her and a nice stable, loving family for all 3 of them. 

• Love 5

I think the world at large will forget about the DeBoers, but they will always, always be known in their little town as reality stars. When Aubree is in her teens, her classmates will be watching the show online and it may dredge up some bad things. I grew up in a small town, and my science and art teachers in middle school had small, non-speaking roles in a made for TV movie that was filmed in our town in the 80's. One was on the witness stand, about to answer a question until the judge got interrupted, and one was an audience member who was zoomed in on a few times. To this day, they are basically regarded as movie stars in our town! ??? we would always watch that after our state tests were over in middle school, and it was the biggest deal. In a small town, they will always be seen as TV stars, but hopefully people will be respectful about it. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, lilmarysunshine said:

The thing is - I'm not sure when this show will end. I don't think anyone thought initially it would continue until the kids are 9.

I've been saying this for the last year or two. I really do not see any signs of it going anywhere. 

• Love 9

It is crazy, isn't it? It started when I was a teenager, and now I'm well into my 20s. We're going to see the 'babies' become teens! 

At this point, I would not be on the show anymore. I would think they've saved up enough by now. Keep the social media accounts and sell some Fab Fit Fun, but don't keep exploiting the kids. I think that decision would make me really respect the DeBoers--even if they did a "new baby!" special every now and again for the $ but otherwise bowed out of the shitshow.

I've personally been thinking for a while that that's coming, but maybe not.

• Love 8

The most burning question I've had in my mind throughout this entire series is how these kids who were born on the show are going to feel when they get older.  How would it feel to know your parent chose to show you to the world throughout your formative years?

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

The most burning question I've had in my mind throughout this entire series is how these kids who were born on the show are going to feel when they get older.  How would it feel to know your parent chose to show you to the world throughout your formative years?

I wonder if it will just be all they know so it won't bother them?  On the other hand, I think of Gabriella Giudice.  She doesn't like attention so it seems like she tries to stay out of spotlight as much as she can. In fact, I think Teresa has even said that.  But that show is supposed to be less about the kids and more about the moms than the TM franchise, I think.

It would really, really suck if a kid hates it and has to do it. I wonder how Corey justifies keeping his new kid off the show while his first two are on it, for example? I know Miranda is probably driving that but if it is unhealthy for Remi, isn't it for Ali and Gracie, too?

I think the problem, of course, is these people (even Chelsea) get used to the money and that makes it harder to shut it off. To their credit, Cole has always worked a regular job so it would be less difficult for them but it is not easy being a 20-something and raising a family on one person's wages. 

• Love 6

I’d say the most embarrassing stuff for Aubrey would be the Adam stuff and seeing on film some of the mean stuff Adam has said. Other then that Chelsea’s segments are pretty chill.

Unlike Amber who is a fuckjng psycho. Catelynn who has shit on her floor. Jenelle is just garbage in every way possible. 

• Love 8

My own children are teenagers and my sons *hate* for me to put stuff on my piddly lil Facebook feed. (And I am talking about good things.) So I think anything can be embarrassing for them and draw unwanted attention. Chelsea has 1.8 million followers. 

• Love 5
On 3/16/2018 at 5:47 PM, monicageller said:

Haha this was also my first or second thought! Especially after The Ashley's 'by the numbers' post from the other day, and it was noted Leah is the only one to have two kids by the same dad, which is only because they were twins. Finally two kids to the same father in two separate (planned) pregnancies! Go Chelsea!

What article is this? I am late to the party. That bolded part is not true. Maci had two trap babies by Taylor.

I think the problem, of course, is these people (even Chelsea) get used to the money and that makes it harder to shut it off. To their credit, Cole has always worked a regular job so it would be less difficult for them but it is not easy being a 20-something and raising a family on one person's wages. 

I have read this about Cole and Chelsea many times over.

Do we know how they have invested their finances? I don't, but it would not be too far-fetched to believe these two have planned out for the future.

I do not know what are Cole's wages. I am not sure what kind of money he brings in on a yearly basis or how much overtime he may do. I also don't know the cost of living in their area. Anyone know? I don't know if their house is paid for. Property taxes must be cheap. I live in California so everything is cheap outside of my state. They do not seem to live beyond their means.  We know Chelsea is not receiving child support from Adumb. Cole is not paying for any child support since he has no previous children from another relationship. I think it was mentioned long ago that Randy helped Chelsea invest her money.  I don't know what he brought into the marriage money-wise. I don't know if his family is financially well-off.  Any major spending seems to have been the one home they share and the animals. Cole makes furniture! That is a big plus. He is a handy-man who seems to save money by making what the property needs such as fences. Going by what information has been released about Chelsea's earnings, she has been pulling in six figures for a long time.  After at least six years of pulling in that kind of money, and with Randy there to assist her with her financial future, and after taxes, she has quite a tidy sum, I am sure.

Those are the kind of factors I would consider when trying to determine what state of financial stability someone is likely to be in.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 9
On 3/19/2018 at 2:54 PM, SPLAIN said:

What article is this? I am late to the party. That bolded part is not true. Maci had two trap babies by Taylor.

Do we know how they have invested their finances? I don't, but it would not be too far-fetched to believe these two have planned out for the future.

I do not know what are Cole's wages. I am not sure what kind of money he brings in on a yearly basis or how much overtime he may do. I also don't know the cost of living in their area. Anyone know? I don't know if their house is paid for. Property taxes must be cheap. I live in California so everything is cheap outside of my state. They do not seem to live beyond their means.  We know Chelsea is not receiving child support from Adumb. Cole is not paying for any child support since he has no previous children from another relationship. I think it was mentioned long ago that Randy helped Chelsea invest her money.  I don't know what he brought into the marriage money-wise. I don't know if his family is financially well-off.  Any major spending seems to have been the one home they share and the animals. Cole makes furniture! That is a big plus. He is a handy-man who seems to save money by making what the property needs such as fences. Going by what information has been released about Chelsea's earnings, she has been pulling in six figures for a long time.  After at least six years of pulling in that kind of money, and with Randy there to assist her with her financial future, and after taxes, she has quite a tidy sum, I am sure.

Those are the kind of factors I would consider when trying to determine what state of financial stability someone is likely to be in.

For giggles one day after looking forever for a house we could afford in Washington State I started looking at any state that had a winter.  I’m tired of the year long Texas summers.  I looked at North and South Dakota. They are very reasonable. The price of houses there was the same or cheaper than the prices of our houses and land here in NE Texas.  I had saved the article in Chelsea’s house on my old computer.  I don’t have that with me anymore.  

I agree with you. We don’t know how much Cole makes, how long he’s had this job, nothing.  Out of them all, I would guess they are doing the best.  

Here ya go.  https://radaronline.com/photos/chelsea-houska-dream-house-photos-teen-mom-renovations/

Edited by Mkay
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, SPLAIN said:

Oh true, I forgot about Maci! Here's the article:

http://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2018/03/13/teen-mom-babies-by-the-numbers/

• Love 7
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, ChristmasJones said:

I'm gonna need someone to write a tell-all (Ali or Leah, my money's on one of you)

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, gunderda said:

The duggars grew up in front of the cameras and on tv and none of them have gone off their rocker YET.

I don't watch but my assumption was none of them were ever on their rockers to begin with, though perhaps a few might eventually rebel & lead normal lives.

• Love 20
30 minutes ago, akr said:

I don't watch but my assumption was none of them were ever on their rockers to begin with, though perhaps a few might eventually rebel & lead normal lives.

True! i also think they were probably groomed to be in the spotlight. I know we don't see much of the little kids all of the ones who are now adults don't seem to shy away from the camera at all.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, akr said:

Yea, I was going to say - that clan was already seriously fucked up before the cameras. They are just really controlled about what they show. 

• Love 10
20 hours ago, gunderda said:

The duggars grew up in front of the cameras and on tv and none of them have gone off their rocker YET.

Oh I don't know. Josh and the Parents didn't deal with a serious situation. Instead they covered. Now Jill's husband.....That guy is off the rails. Jill isn't fairing well herself. 

• Love 10
On 3/21/2018 at 1:31 PM, gunderda said:

Whoa, I must disagree with this. I think molesting 4 of one's sisters, one of which was only 5 years old to be pretty damn off the rails.  That entire family is off the rails and leading the train wreck in so many ways. 

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Whoa, I must disagree with this. I think molesting 4 of one's sisters, one of which was only 5 years old to be pretty damn off the rails.  That entire family is off the rails and leading the train wreck in so many ways. 

That didn't happen because he grew up on tv.  That was my point. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mkay said:

I think Monday’s and Tuesday’s were written on with stuff scheduled too but this shot was all the poster could snap. It was a moving video.  I saw the snap, I hope I’m rememebring right. 

Yes, it did show every day of the month, I just couldn't get a good shot of the Mondays/Tuesdays.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

That didn't happen because he grew up on tv.  That was my point. 

Oh, ok. I get what you mean now. 

I think the kids who will be the most affected and plain old fucked up from growing up on camera are the Gosselin kids. One of them has already been sent away for "mental problems" which of course his mother got on national television and told the world about.  Those poor kids had permanent stage lighting and cameras in their bedrooms from the time they were born. 

We should probably take this to Small Talk. 

• Love 6

You can be damaged by parenting choices and not end up in jail or in the tabloids. Besides money, what good comes out of this (millions of people following their lives) for her kids?  (Disclaimer:  I probably should worry about money more than I do. But I don't.  Probably my finances have suffered more than other areas in terms of choices we made with our own kids.)   But I guess I think that means it is more than money driving this, though.  She has to like the attention she gets for her and that her kids get. That's what drew them all to 16 & Pregnant in the first place.

• Love 7
On 3/25/2018 at 2:01 AM, monicageller said:

Oh Randy!

While I'm not in love with Randi as a name, I have to admit that Randi as a middle (or first) name for Chelsea's daughter would be a great way to honor Randy for what he has done for Chelsea.  He's financially supported her & guided her long after he had to do so once she became a legal adult. I know he had the means to do so *and I know he's a gossipy famewhore), but he did choose to use his hard-earned money (that he spent years in college/grad school to be able to earn as a dentist) to make it where Chelsea & Aubree didn't have to suffer financial burdens.  He pushed Chelsea to finish her GED and go to/finish skin care training even once she had reality TV fame.  He no doubt financially made it easier for her to complete her GED & training.  He stepped up and provided financially/emotionally for Aubree for a long time when her own father wouldn't (and before Cole was in the picture). It would be a nice way to honor Randalicious to give a DeBoer baby the name Randi in some capacity.  For all his faults, I think Randy is a large part of why Chelsea has ended up as one of the "best" and "most normal" teen moms and one of the few to complete some kind of training that they can use in the real world. (Yes, I know Chelsea deserves to be recognized for completing that, and I do indeed recognize that she did the work herself.  However, I think Randy's guidance, insistence that she accomplish something besides a baby/reality stardom, and his financial support (which luckily he was able to give her, although he by no means had to give her) did a lot to make that happen.)

• Love 18
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

While I'm not in love with Randi as a name, I have to admit that Randi as a middle (or first) name for Chelsea's daughter would be a great way to honor Randy for what he has done for Chelsea.  He's financially supported her & guided her long after he had to do so once she became a legal adult. I know he had the means to do so *and I know he's a gossipy famewhore), but he did choose to use his hard-earned money (that he spent years in college/grad school to be able to earn as a dentist) to make it where Chelsea & Aubree didn't have to suffer financial burdens.  He pushed Chelsea to finish her GED and go to/finish skin care training even once she had reality TV fame.  He no doubt financially made it easier for her to complete her GED & training.  He stepped up and provided financially/emotionally for Aubree for a long time when her own father wouldn't (and before Cole was in the picture). It would be a nice way to honor Randalicious to give a DeBoer baby the name Randi in some capacity.  For all his faults, I think Randy is a large part of why Chelsea has ended up as one of the "best" and "most normal" teen moms and one of the few to complete some kind of training that they can use in the real world. (Yes, I know Chelsea deserves to be recognized for completing that, and I do indeed recognize that she did the work herself.  However, I think Randy's guidance, insistence that she accomplish something besides a baby/reality stardom, and his financial support (which luckily he was able to give her, although he by no means had to give her) did a lot to make that happen.)

It’s cute. But it was a joke.  Producer Mandi said they were naming the baby after her and it escalated from there. 

• Love 3

@MyPeopleAreNordic I think Randy is a good Dad and appears to be a good person. He takes his responsibilities towards his family seriously and finds JOY in his role as a Dad and Grandfather (also Step Dad and Step Grandfather). He and Chelsea are FRIENDS as well as father/daughter. It’s not so rare but we see women in this role more than men.

Chelsea having the most “normal” life out of any of the TMs is because she was a teen girl who made a dumbass mistake (unprotected sex) and fell for a bad boy (Adam)- not because she was a morally corrupt human being (Jenelle) or trying to cure years of emotional neglect and feed her insecurities (Kailyn), or just totally dim (Leah). Same reason Maci is “doing the best” of the TM:OG women, but Maci didn’t listen to her parents like they wanted her to (the way Chelsea listed to Randy about many things) and may be headed towards alcohol dependency. 

• Love 9
On 3/24/2018 at 10:10 PM, lilmarysunshine said:

You can be damaged by parenting choices and not end up in jail or in the tabloids. Besides money, what good comes out of this (millions of people following their lives) for her kids?  (Disclaimer:  I probably should worry about money more than I do. But I don't.  Probably my finances have suffered more than other areas in terms of choices we made with our own kids.)   But I guess I think that means it is more than money driving this, though.  She has to like the attention she gets for her and that her kids get. That's what drew them all to 16 & Pregnant in the first place.

Right, the thing is, it's self-selecting...these are all people who wanted to be on a TV show. There's nothing inherently *wrong* with wanting attention, but based on her photoshoots, etc., she obviously does. Of course she wants money for her family and their college, etc., as well as plenty of luxuries (though they seem to mostly be living an upper-middle-class life rather than throwing it all away like Kail), but attention and praise and a bit of celebrity, along with not having to work a job or have her husband work multiple jobs like most parents, are clearly part of it.

Nothing *wrong* with that, but of course those are all motives. At some point, it becomes a little excessive if you're on there for years and years, IMO. At this point I would think they'd have saved up enough to have made it worth their while and have a nice nest egg. 

At the same time, I'm a ridiculously private person and there are few things I could imagine that would be worse than being a reality TV 'personality,' so I'm inherently biased against this. I do think there tends to be some fallout for the kids, even more than if they were child actors or something. They're not in Hollywood living among other TV personalities--they stick out in their little town.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

Right, the thing is, it's self-selecting...these are all people who wanted to be on a TV show. There's nothing inherently *wrong* with wanting attention, but based on her photoshoots, etc., she obviously does. Of course she wants money for her family and their college, etc., as well as plenty of luxuries (though they seem to mostly be living an upper-middle-class life rather than throwing it all away like Kail), but attention and praise and a bit of celebrity, along with not having to work a job or have her husband work multiple jobs like most parents, are clearly part of it.

Nothing *wrong* with that, but of course those are all motives. At some point, it becomes a little excessive if you're on there for years and years, IMO. At this point I would think they'd have saved up enough to have made it worth their while and have a nice nest egg. 

The thing about Chelsea is, I think she wants her cake and wants to eat it to. She likes the money the show gives her and the stability and personal freedom that it gives her (and who wouldn't really, even my extremely shy ass would be tempted to put my drama on tv for that sort of money), and of course the positive attention she gets, for being the best person and mom of the bunch. She doesn't like when that attention goes to far or becomes criticism, which is also understandable but it isn't realistic to expect her life to always be smooth and private when she puts her family's life on TV. I wish she would be the one to break the cycle, so to speak, and remove herself and family from the world of trashy reality tv. I want one of these girls to truly put their kids first, and I think Chelsea would be the best one to do it.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

The thing about Chelsea is, I think she wants her cake and wants to eat it to. She likes the money the show gives her and the stability and personal freedom that it gives her (and who wouldn't really, even my extremely shy ass would be tempted to put my drama on tv for that sort of money), and of course the positive attention she gets, for being the best person and mom of the bunch. She doesn't like when that attention goes to far or becomes criticism, which is also understandable but it isn't realistic to expect her life to always be smooth and private when she puts her family's life on TV. I wish she would be the one to break the cycle, so to speak, and remove herself and family from the world of trashy reality tv. I want one of these girls to truly put their kids first, and I think Chelsea would be the best one to do it.

Yes, this.

I understand wanting the money; I really do. It's a smart move to keep it going if you already were on the show anyway. 

I just fundamentally don't agree with the choice to keep kids on TV for their entire childhoods and adolescences. Aubree is quickly moving towards the preadolescent phase. And again, not as an actor or performer, but as a child of a teen mom with a messed up biological father, among a bunch of abuse and neglect stories. And I agree that Chelsea seems to want the praise and money but absolutely NEVER be criticized...which is understandable, nobody likes to be criticized, but that's the trade-off. You're on reality TV (MTV, no less!) for people to talk about you, good and bad alike. That's the point of reality TV...to discuss the nitty-gritty of people's lives, to which we normally don't get access. The point is, quite entirely, gossip and drama and conflict and picking apart people's lives. That's why there aren't shows called "Married, Educated, 29-Year-Old Mom with an Office Job." *shrug* Your job is basically to have your drama discussed by the public.

Which is fine. But that's what the job is.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

Yes, this.

I understand wanting the money; I really do. It's a smart move to keep it going if you already were on the show anyway. 

I just fundamentally don't agree with the choice to keep kids on TV for their entire childhoods and adolescences. Aubree is quickly moving towards the preadolescent phase. And again, not as an actor or performer, but as a child of a teen mom with a messed up biological father, among a bunch of abuse and neglect stories. And I agree that Chelsea seems to want the praise and money but absolutely NEVER be criticized...which is understandable, nobody likes to be criticized, but that's the trade-off. You're on reality TV (MTV, no less!) for people to talk about you, good and bad alike. That's the point of reality TV...to discuss the nitty-gritty of people's lives, to which we normally don't get access. The point is, quite entirely, gossip and drama and conflict and picking apart people's lives. That's why there aren't shows called "Married, Educated, 29-Year-Old Mom with an Office Job." *shrug* Your job is basically to have your drama discussed by the public.

Which is fine. But that's what the job is.

I agree! Plus, normal people get criticized all the time, too. If Chelsea was working a job, she would make mistakes and probably be chastised by her boss. If nothing else, she would be given constructive criticism a work, hopefully by a boss who is nice about it (mine isn't lol, and makes us feel like crap!). Nobody likes to be criticized, but most of us have to go through it for jobs that don't pay 300K, and where we actually have to follow through with changes or we risk getting fired! The risk of being fired from MTV is apparently incredibly low, since they can literally refuse to do their jobs and be totally rude about it with no repercussions!

• Love 7