Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E04: The Final Audition: Top 10 Revealed

• Start Topic

35 dancers have made it to the next round, day four of auditions on Season 18 of So You Think You Can Dance where they will face the toughest challenges yet, similar to what they would at real auditions while seeking a dance career. There will be two rounds of competition choreographed by Galen Hooks one solo round and the second in pairs. 35 will become 16 and then 10 as dancers vie for a top spot on the show in the all-new "The Final Audition: Top Ten Revealed" episode of So You Think You Can Dance airing Monday, March 25 (9:01 - 10:00 ET/PT) on FOX.

(edited)

Wow, they got a lot done in an hour. I’m not 100% sure of the 10 they picked but we’ll see. 

And they are all living together (top 10)? And making videos? So I am guessing no ballroom in my future…..

Edited by Quickbeam
Added

The judges were a lot less stilted, but no less scripted.  Doesn't someone out there know how tiresomely repetitive these reality show memes are - at what point in the competition is it alright not to give your all?  Every fricken level has to have some stupid phrase like that, every fricken level we have to be told 20 times that they are going to pick the top ten from this bunch.  Gawd, so tiresome. Fake outs begone!

I'm sure not looking forward to JJS next week.  

Dances were good, auditions were really enjoyable.  Just the long torture at the end was, as per usual, tedious.

Disagreed with a coupla choices but doesn't one always?

Quite interested in the future challenges as presented.

• Like 4

So they picked one dancer from the first audition round we saw, but two dancers from the last group we saw (where no one knew the choreography)???

I guess we should just be pleased that some of the dancers that were better stories than dancers didn't get pushed through.

• Like 5
(edited)

I've been trying to remember what the auditions remind me of... and it's The Next Step. 

I like the choreographer. Finally saw something recognizable as jazz.

EDIT: Does anyone else think Olivia looks like Sporty Spice?

Edited by Mason
6 hours ago, rlc said:

So they picked one dancer from the first audition round we saw, but two dancers from the last group we saw (where no one knew the choreography)???

I guess we should just be pleased that some of the dancers that were better stories than dancers didn't get pushed through.

Even though Easton stood out, I thought the first group did pretty good. The last group was a hot mess. I guess they wanted a hip hopper. While I do agree that he has a big personality, that really only works for solos. I didn't think he partnered well. He was just trying to make himself stand out.

I did like this episode since they mostly showed dancing. I don't remember some of their choices. Still leary about living arrangements since I only see drama doing that. I do like having the contestants experience different types of performances.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mason said:

I've been trying to remember what the auditions remind me of... and it's The Next Step. 

I like the choreographer. Finally saw something recognizable as jazz.

Galen has long been one of my favourite choreographers. I'm so glad she was here and I got to spend so much time watching her work. I just like how her moves can be sexy and powerful but not male gaze-y. This is my favourite piece but they're all good. 

The results part of the show is necessary but so boring. There just isn't enough time with these dancers for me at least to care deeply about the results. I think once they were down to the 16, any of them could do the show. It was just a question of types and styles to make an interesting mix. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Judges' critique when they need to eliminate a dancer who danced better than kept dancers: "We don't really know who you are as a dancer."

Judges' critique when they need to keep a dancer who's worse than eliminated dancers: "Everyone in this group messed up, so now we're looking for who has star quality."

Honestly, I think they're hampered by the fact that they need equal numbers of men and women in the Top 10 for some reason (less reason this season since they don't appear to be pairing them up) and want to avoid an all-contemporary cast.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I'm 20 minutes in watching the final audition process...........

Madison had better make it to the top 10. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her look. I want her hair style but unfortunately, I don't have her adorable fabulous face. She is a very expressionful and capable dancer so........put that all together in a package and she is a contender for the top spot.

I knew from the first moment Easton set foot on stage, he is going to be one of the top contenders. I have no doubt he is in the top 10.

On with the rest of the show>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Like 1
(edited)

I don't necessarily agree with all of the top ten. The Hip Hop guy with the blonde hair who has a great personality is one I don't think should be there. I hope he proves me wrong but I think he was selected for top ten because of his very likeable personality.

What happened to the female ballroom dancer that was chosen by Maks to dance with Roman in his initital audition? She was on FIRE! We never did see her in the audition rounds at all. I call shenanigans.

When did these females start auditioning with baggy pants? You can't see their legs or their musculature. At least Madison had one leg exposed. I guess I'm just too old to embrace this new generation of dancers. I'm still stuck in the days of "A Chorus Line" when women wore tights and leotards to audition and rehearse.

Edited by coffeebean

So is the entire (or most of) season already filmed and in the can? That's my guess based on the previews they showed at the end. Hey, remember when you could call in or vote online for your Favorite Dancer? Back when the viewing audience had some say (or at least the producers made us think that we did...)? Going by the previews (granted, I wasn't paying super-close attention), it's now just going to be group dances in a variety of industry styles -- Music Video, Broadway, Film, etc. The dancers aren't going to partner up? (So why have five men and five women? And no wonder they didn't pick any ballroom dancers.) Will they even perform in front of an audience or just in a variety of studios? And now the jidges will decide who leaves at the end of each episode? Ugh... Maks is useless, and JoJo is a walking migraine. Way to eff up something that wasn't particularly broken, producers!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

So is the entire (or most of) season already filmed and in the can? That's my guess based on the previews they showed at the end. Hey, remember when you could call in or vote online for your Favorite Dancer? Back when the viewing audience had some say (or at least the producers made us think that we did...)? Going by the previews (granted, I wasn't paying super-close attention), it's now just going to be group dances in a variety of industry styles -- Music Video, Broadway, Film, etc. The dancers aren't going to partner up? (So why have five men and five women? And no wonder they didn't pick any ballroom dancers.) Will they even perform in front of an audience or just in a variety of studios? And now the jidges will decide who leaves at the end of each episode? Ugh... Maks is useless, and JoJo is a walking migraine. Way to eff up something that wasn't particularly broken, producers!

I think it is. Not sure about the finale where a winner is chosen but the rest  of it is. I don't think there will be any viewer voting, it's all up to the judges (aka producers).

The weekly dances being done as various dance challenges is giving me flashbacks to Star Search when they'd do the supermodel category with the models doing photo shoots in different outfits. And I'm already dreading Jojo and her stupid glasses and hyper screeching. 

I really don't think I'm  going to like this season or this format.

• Like 3

Ugh. Every time producers try so hard to script a competition reality show so they are sure I will like it... I hate it! I will be shocked if this show sees another season. 

• Like 3

What have they done to this show that I loved so much?  I haven't enjoyed anything this season...the judges and their "notes, " the dancers' auditions, or how they to 10 were selected.   Add JoJo to the rest of the season?  I think I'm out.   

• Like 2
On 3/27/2024 at 9:52 PM, TVbitch said:

Ugh. Every time producers try so hard to script a competition reality show so they are sure I will like it... I hate it! I will be shocked if this show sees another season. 

Yeah, every time a judge told a dancer to come back next season I said out loud “good luck with that!”

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I disagree with so may of the picks for the top 10. The fact that the blonde haired hip hop guy Jaylin ,are it while much more talented dancers like skinny Spanish guy did not tells me this season has a lot of producer intervention. They’re casting for diversity and drama, not picking the best of the bunch. This show is making me so angry.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 5:03 PM, ww92 said:

I think it is. Not sure about the finale where a winner is chosen but the rest  of it is. I don't think there will be any viewer voting, it's all up to the judges (aka producers).

The weekly dances being done as various dance challenges is giving me flashbacks to Star Search when they'd do the supermodel category with the models doing photo shoots in different outfits. And I'm already dreading Jojo and her stupid glasses and hyper screeching. 

I really don't think I'm  going to like this season or this format.

Thanks for the Star Search throwback! The dancers were my favourite part of the show. When you reach for the stars…and catch them.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the new format (but really don’t care about them living together, and really don’t want the judges choosing). 

Edited by hula-la
Grammar

I really don't mind the judges choosing because if the dancers are supposed to be "stage/production ready", the judges are similar to casting agents in the dance world who will be considering the dancers talents.

Plus, when the general public votes, they don't necessarily vote for the BEST dancer. Instead, the public vote is based on popularity, likes & dislikes, and not necessarily on their dancing skills.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I really don't mind the judges choosing because if the dancers are supposed to be "stage/production ready", the judges are similar to casting agents in the dance world who will be considering the dancers talents.

Plus, when the general public votes, they don't necessarily vote for the BEST dancer. Instead, the public vote is based on popularity, likes & dislikes, and not necessarily on their dancing skills.

The SYTYCD tagline was to find “America’s Favourite Dancer”.

• Like 3

According to America lol. So, the voting public.

It was always a popularity contest, as is every show on TV that involves the audience voting.

I think the judges are just as, if not more so, biased as the audience though.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

According to America lol. So, the voting public.

It was always a popularity contest, as is every show on TV that involves the audience voting.

I think the judges are just as, if not more so, biased as the audience though.

I'm reminded of Fikshun's face on World of Dance, when he realized the decision had already been made and he'd barely performed. 

I'm sure the producers justify the change by saying "hey, in real life, there's no rhyme or reason why one dancer is chosen over another." Producers who don't dance, I suspect, and are oversimplifying things. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Mason said:

I'm reminded of Fikshun's face on World of Dance, when he realized the decision had already been made and he'd barely performed. 

I'm sure the producers justify the change by saying "hey, in real life, there's no rhyme or reason why one dancer is chosen over another." Producers who don't dance, I suspect, and are oversimplifying things. 

I also remember the look on Fikshun's face. This season reminds me of WOD where we don't get to vote. Before the season started, I didn't think we would vote and figured the show wasn't live. However, I thought it would be like the last season where the audience could vote. I thought they did a pretty good job and I think Alexis would not have won if voting was open to everyone. Female ballroom dancers previously didn't do so well with votes.

• Like 2

I also remember Fikshun's face.  It was the last episode of WOD that I watched because of the clear producer script. 

I can't understand what these people think they are doing by clearly manipulating the outcomes.  The only reality shows I watch now (other than this season of SYTCD so far) are home reno and I just ff through the scripted disasters in the middle, so each show takes about 13 minutes of my life.  The destruction of reality tv is a stupid move imo.

• Like 2