Type keyword(s) to search

💚Green-Light! Exemplary Community Engagement💚 

Congratulations! Starting on page 2, this thread’s discussion reflects our core values of diversity, respect, and constructive engagement. Your kind and considerate contributions turned this topic Green.  

Here’s to continuing this success:

- Recognition: A big thank you to all contributors for navigating a difficult topic in a healthy, and respectful way.

- Inspiration: Let’s keep this momentum going! Continue to engage with empathy, listen actively, and recognize diverse perspectives.

- Grow Together: Encourage each other to have respectful conversations about difficult topics and to keep humor smart for maintaining a Green Light status.

Your collaborative efforts are what make our community thrive.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I think the bolded is a good question that I have asked myself.  Do I hold Josh more accountable or as somehow worse because he is a Christian?  And the answer is on some level, I do.  

First, what he did was truly heinous and I would see it that way if he were Joe Schmo who never darkened the door of a church.  I feel the same about Subway Jared, Jeffrey Epstein, et. al.  His actions are problematic regardless of his faith and I am glad justice was served for him.

Now, to the Christian part.  I am a Christian myself though the Duggars would probably not see me that way because I am far more progressive.  So, I'm not just being mean to someone because they are a Christian or because their faith practice differs from mine.  I do however have a greater problem with him because he wasn't just going along for the ride with his family.  He regularly publicly professed his faith, regularly led worship at the family church, and was even employed by the FRC to be a spokesperson for their policies.  What they themselves have told us is that someone who accepts Jesus into their heart becomes a new man in Christ. 

Now, yes, Christians mess up and some mess up bad enough that they owe a debt to society to make amends. But in his case he messed up and clearly had no remorse for anything he did.  According to Jill Dillard's book when they were hiding from the tabloids after the first scandal broke, he thought the whole thing was funny.  When he made his infamous statement about Satan building a fortress in his heart he used passive voice to describe his cheating on his wife.  He said he became unfaithful like it was something that happened to him rather than a choice he made.  And then when he was in court facing down federal charges his demeanor was of someone who was there for a traffic ticket.  He clearly did not see himself as accountable for any of his actions.  My big issue with him was that while he was claiming to be this model Christian he was doing some pretty horrible things and was only stopped when secular authorities stepped in.  So, yes, I hold him to a higher standard on that part because someone who is truly transformed by their acceptance of Jesus does not keep going back and wallowing in sinful behaviors.  

I wish I could like this post 100 times.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I would not trust his parents to supervise him -- they knew about his behavior years ago and swept it under the rug.   

I would not trust Anna to supervise because having a husband is more important to her than anything else.   

The federal judge would not release  him on bond to his home because he didn't trust anyone there would report any violations.    That's why he had to stay at the Rebers until trial.   The same thing would happen once he was on supervised release, none of them would report violations then either.  The ones who would won't be anywhere around Josh.   

• Like 14
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 4

After Scandal #1, when they starting filming I think JB&M thought of themselves as superior Christians and felt Jesus had bestowed some kind of forgiveness he saves only for the special ones.

By the time Scandal #2 rolled around I think they had one toe in reality, but were really sitting with the devil made Josh do it, he needs to repent and be saved again.

Then the third scandal - for JB it wasn't about guilt or innocence, or religion, it was about saving his son from jail and saving the show and the family's image. For Michelle is was more about thinking she could fix Josh. By the end of the trial, I think most, even JB&M believed he was guilty - to some degree.

So while they did hold themselves up as superior Christians, I think there was a process to get where even they began to know they weren't all that special and Gothard's promises were BS.

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

By the end of the trial, I think most, even JB&M believed he was guilty - to some degree.

I agree, and I've wondered if this is part of why Michelle never attended the trial. 

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, Zella said:

I agree, and I've wondered if this is part of why Michelle never attended the trial. 

I think Michelle couldn't bear to face the truth about her baby boy, the golden child.  And, even moreso, she couldn't bear to face the phalanx of reporters shouting questions at her about the 'sin in the camp' and her role in enabliing it.  She's more than happy to ride in the parade, baby on her breast or accept an award for mother of the year; she cannot face the truth about herself, that her mothering skills weren't as great as she liked to pretend, her kid was seriously messed up and all the interventions they concocted with the help of their brethren did nothing to change Josh' ultimate course and may even have made things worse.

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
20 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I think Michelle couldn't bear to face the truth about her baby boy, the golden child.  And, even moreso, she couldn't bear to face the phalanx of reporters shouting questions at her about the 'sin in the camp' and her role in enabliing it.  She's more than happy to ride in the parade, baby on her breast or accept an award for mother of the year; she cannot face the truth about herself, that her mothering skills weren't as great as she liked to pretend, her kid was seriously messed up and all the interventions they concocted with the help of their brethren did nothing to change Josh' ultimate course and may even have made things worse.

I can totally buy that too! I also think that's why Jim Bob was so defiant. Josh undermines what he's built his entire family and identity on, so of course he's going to double down. That being said, I did find Jill's comments from her book about Michelle's irritation with Josh in the middle of the scandals interesting. 

• Like 18

Josh was diddling his sisters which is incestuous, but I don't hear that said plainly. Kind of ironic that their son was the fox in the henhouse, while they projected a holier than thou demeanor.

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Notabug said:

Don't forget taking the ducks/swans/penguins (I obviously wasn't paying enough attention around the pond or hotel lobby.

In all seriousness, I think JB&M look at transgressions on a scale. Not cleaning your jurisdiction might get you extra chores.  That would be an appropriate punishment.  Josh goes and does what he did with his sisters, and now all of a sudden THIS indiscretion, they all know something has to be said, it's not going away. So, instead of just coming out and telling the truth, they begin treating the ingestion as though he just had some random traffic violations.  

And on the comment earlier about what's the difference between Josh and other athletes, politicians, etc..it's solely about hypocrisy.  JB&M have always covered anything that is untoward of the whole family or just members.  What Josh did affected the entire family from the top down.  JB was out telling people Josh was innocent left and right.  NEVER in his simple mind think he would be a convicted felon facing 12 years.  

Josh is exactly where he should be.  As for seeing his kids when he's out, I would be surprised if the judge asked the kids their feelings on the matter.  A majority of them will be in their mid to late teens, and it seems like that when judges will ask them directly.  

Thank you for coming to my TedTalk.  (I have a doozy of a post for the PC, but I'm not sure I'm ready to share it yet.  Let's just say Easter was a bad Holy Day.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 9

Tomorrow will be Anna's third Mother's Day without Josh. In June it will be the 3rd Father's Day the kids will have a dad in prison.

Many, if not most, incarcerated folks would be filled with increased remorse and sadness when holidays come around. They would feel bad for their spouse and their children. Yet with Josh I truly believe he makes every holiday (and every day) in prison about him.

Will he call Anna and his parents? If he does, will he make it about them or him? I think we all know the answer.

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Tomorrow will be Anna's third Mother's Day without Josh. In June it will be the 3rd Father's Day the kids will have a dad in prison.

Many, if not most, incarcerated folks would be filled with increased remorse and sadness when holidays come around. They would feel bad for their spouse and their children. Yet with Josh I truly believe he makes every holiday (and every day) in prison about him.

Will he call Anna and his parents? If he does, will he make it about them or him? I think we all know the answer.

Josh was raised to be selfish, to think of himself as above everyone else; and it was his parents and then Anna, who perpetuated that sort of thinking.  So, if Josh cannot be bothered to send his mom or his wife Mother's Day greetings, I wouldn't be surprised but I have limited sympathy for Michelle and Anna.  I do feel for the kids because I expect Anna is not going to be a ray of sunshine on MD and its too bad they have to be raised in an atmosphere where their mother constantly puts their father ahead of them.  I don't see her enjoying cards or breakfast in bed or any other surprises very much when Joshie isn't there

• Like 15
4 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Josh was raised to be selfish, to think of himself as above everyone else; and it was his parents and then Anna, who perpetuated that sort of thinking.  So, if Josh cannot be bothered to send his mom or his wife Mother's Day greetings, I wouldn't be surprised but I have limited sympathy for Michelle and Anna.  I do feel for the kids because I expect Anna is not going to be a ray of sunshine on MD and its too bad they have to be raised in an atmosphere where their mother constantly puts their father ahead of them.  I don't see her enjoying cards or breakfast in bed or any other surprises very much when Joshie isn't there

While I agree others have an impact on personality, I think the days of blaming parents, or more specifically moms, died a few decades after Freud did.

IMO, Josh would be Josh no matter how he was raised or who raised him.

• Like 9
34 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

While I agree others have an impact on personality, I think the days of blaming parents, or more specifically moms, died a few decades after Freud did.

IMO, Josh would be Josh no matter how he was raised or who raised him.

I agree with you there, but Michelle and Anna did a masterful job of enabling his narcissism which makes me less concerned about their feelings as he continues to be the person he always was, the one they both showered loved and approval.

• Like 15
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yes, she is due with a girl in July. 

I can't keep up with all these babies. I know its an even year so that tracks. Does a girl fit their pattern too?

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Nope. Should have been a boy. 😀

I hope David doesn’t blame Priscilla for messing up their picture-perfect family order.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I hope David doesn’t blame Priscilla for messing up their picture-perfect family order.

I hope someone tells David sperm is responsible for the gender.

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

Apologies for being pedantic, but sperm is responsible for the sex. A whole bunch of as yet poorly understood biochemical fun is responsible for the gender. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, satrunrose said:

Apologies for being pedantic, but sperm is responsible for the sex. A whole bunch of as yet poorly understood biochemical fun is responsible for the gender. 

THANK YOU!

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Notabug said:

I agree with you there, but Michelle and Anna did a masterful job of enabling his narcissism which makes me less concerned about their feelings as he continues to be the person he always was, the one they both showered loved and approval.

Well, Anna was raised to do that; she knows nothing else.

But Michelle chose that value system and way of life.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

How much in lawyer's fees did this appeal cost Jim Bob?  The way the prosecutor presented the situation, it is apparent that the defense had an opportunity to present the witness and that they decided not to call him.  This seems like a waste of money.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

This is the Fed's response to Josh's petition. The last page says the writ SHOULD BE denied, not that it has been denied. 

They were granted an extension to 5/24, IIRC, so this submission tracks. 

thanks for the correction on that

• Like 3
10 hours ago, auntieminem said:

I don't have X but on reddit duggar snark they have lots of responses to her tweet. ouch She is so dim.

image.thumb.png.dcf89e75daba275a9e6a6116cc2b82de.png

The best response was something like "and it also only took 12 votes to put your child abusing husband in prison.....go figure"

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 4
  • Applause 12
  • LOL 3
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Anna retuned to Twitter today after a two year hiatus. 

I saw. I detest her more than I can express. 😡😡😡

4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

The best response was something like "and it also only took 12 votes to put your child abusing husband in prison.....go figure"

Yeah, she got BURNED! 

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Whoa, Anna is really blind to the facts. Should we open the jails and let everyone out? 

And send them right over to the warehouse. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

(head in hands)

Surely someone, somewhere, in that mess of Duggars, adjacents, and random people at the supermarket, has told Anna exactly what I would tell her right now: she needs to stay off social media for at least another three to four years, possibly longer.

No exceptions. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3