Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: A Game of Death

• Start Topic

With only a few more days for the Traitors to remain undetected and win the game, a Faithful and a Traitor go head-to-head; one Faithful must decide their fate after being given an ultimatum; shots are fired during the mission.

Air date: February 22, 2024

"Would I still be eating the salmon if I was a traitor?"

Now I have to rewatch to see what MJ was saying about Phaedra and Peter.  My guess is that Peter is gone.  

• Like 3
(edited)

This is bullshit! They should have showed us the entire banishment vote.

It’s hilarious to me that Peter’s Pals made a deal with Parvati to vote for Phaedra in order for Parvati to save herself, and Peter’s Pals use that (their own deal) as evidence that Phaedra is a traitor.  😂😂😂

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3

I haven't watched Survivor since Season 1, so how the hell was Sandra able to win? She's been wrong with her vote every single time except the 2 times it was impossible for ANYone to be wrong. When it was Dan vs Parvati and Parvati vs Phaedra. She's a total idiot.

• Like 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Shorty186 said:

I haven't watched Survivor since Season 1, so how the hell was Sandra able to win? She's been wrong with her vote every single time except the 2 times it was impossible for ANYone to be wrong. When it was Dan vs Parvati and Parvati vs Phaedra. She's a total idiot.

Because Sandra votes wherever the numbers are. She votes wherever she thinks the majority is going regardless of if she believes the target is a traitor or not. Her first goal is getting to the end, not trying to be right. If that means leaving traitors around for now, she will do that.

Sandra is hiding her vote among the majority. She’s not trying to stand out. She’s not trying to give the traitors a reason to single her out. She’s also not tying to stand out during the banishments. Therefore, she votes wherever the numbers are.

I think Sandra is playing in true Sandra style. She got to end on Survivor by blending in and not standing out. Then, she talks her way to $1 million. Sandra never gave people a reason to target her. People never felt like she was a threat.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I wish Phaedra had recruited John.

I wish she had recruited CT, Trishelle or Sandra.

But the thing is... Trishelle had the shield so I'm not sure if it would have been an empty threat. If Trishelle declined Phaedra's ultimatum, would the shield have protected her?

Of the three, my top choice is Sandra. I think Sandra is the least likely to turn on Phaedra.

I think CT would turn on Phaedra when it gets convenient. It's sort of his thing on The Challenge.

Trishelle would have been interesting because it puts Trishelle on the other side. It would be interesting to see how she navigates being a traitor after spending an entire season chasing shields, pointing fingers and hunting traitors. I just feel like the shield would have protected her from the ultimatum.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

But the thing is... Trishelle had the shield so I'm not sure if it would have been an empty threat. If Trishelle declined Phaedra's ultimatum, would the shield have protected her?

I don't think the show would let the shield protect her, assuming they would have Phaedra recruit the next traitor directly.  The shield protects Trishelle from murder but this ultimatum technically wouldn't be a murder, would it?  It'd be a suicide. 

I love that we learned that this game is less stressful than The Bachelor (per Peter) but more stressful than Parliament (per John). 

47 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I think CT would turn on Phaedra when it gets convenient. It's sort of his thing on The Challenge.

I think the only person who wouldn't do that is Kevin.  The rest?  They'll all stab one another in the back once it's time but CJ is more strategic.

1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

It’s hilarious to me that Peter’s Pals made a deal with Parvati to vote for Phaedra in order for Parvati to save herself, and Peter’s Pals use that (their own deal) as evidence that Phaedra is a traitor.

Not only that but they're realizing they don't have the numbers to go up against the Bravo alliance.  Everyone in that group who didn't vote for Phaedra did that to themselves (looking at you John.)

• Like 3

I'm usually the first one to say there is no fairness in these games. The players just have to play the hand they're dealt and not the hand they wish they had.

...but I just can't stop thinking about Dan, a person that happened to be a traitor and clearly knows who other traitors are, calling Phaedra out as a traitor and that just seems unfair.

I'm not sure if Phaedra makes it out of this hole but it doesn't seem like she's getting out any time soon.

So far, her downfall just seems to always go back to a confirmed traitor calling her out. Sure, they point to her her eye-twitches, her body language, and her composure as if they are masters at reading people. They have their "bullet points" as they say, but the one thing they never let go of is the fact that a confirmed traitor forcefully called Phaedra a traitor in front of everybody.

Some cast members, Janelle and Sandra most notably, have said they didn't suspect Phaedra. I believe Bergie said in one of his interviews that he doesn't really look at Phaedra until Dan calls her out. Sandra outright said in one of these podcasts that Dan really blew up Phaedra's game.

That just feels unfair and that conflicts with my thoughts on "fairness" in these reality show games.

• Like 10

I think sadly MJ voted for Phaedra. They cut the episode when they did because they want to prolong Phaedra on the show for as long as possible. And I'm going to really HATE seeing how smug Peter is if that happens. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, sandwoman said:

I think sadly MJ voted for Phaedra. They cut the episode when they did because they want to prolong Phaedra on the show for as long as possible. And I'm going to really HATE seeing how smug Peter is if that happens. 

I think she voted for Peter. MJ wouldn't know a smart move if it bit her in the ass and I don't think she would go against the Bravolebrities.

Thank you Phaedra for another random food aside. 

• Like 6

First, I agree that it was BS that Dan called out his fellow Traitor (and I thought that I saw some rules floating around the interwebs that prohibited Traitors outing other Traitors), BUT, instead of calling out Phaedra as a traitor which some are saying (and, of course, true), couldn't it just as easily been that he was calling out Phaedra to take the suspicion off of the other traitors?

Second, who would have thought that Kate would be a lousy traitor!! LOL

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

First, I agree that it was BS that Dan called out his fellow Traitor (and I thought that I saw some rules floating around the interwebs that prohibited Traitors outing other Traitors), BUT, instead of calling out Phaedra as a traitor which some are saying (and, of course, true), couldn't it just as easily been that he was calling out Phaedra to take the suspicion off of the other traitors?

Yes, the purpose was to take the suspicion off of himself. I don't see that purpose as a distinction. Calling out a fellow traitor is calling out a fellow traitor, no matter the purpose.

I understand he could have called out anyone and put that same heat on anyone else also. I understand it's not directly confirming that Phaedra is a traitor, which I assume is against the rules, it still feels like he confirmed that she was a traitor.

It's like you have to figure out Blue's clues, and Dan gave 2 of the 3 clues. 😂

• Like 3

I'm not a huge Kate fan, but I have to say I'm kind of loving the Legally Blonde spin these two traitors are putting on the game. It's very, "I'll be a traitor - what, like it's hard?"

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

They do take an "oath" to not reveal their identities or that of their fellow traitors but I feel like at the roundtable, it's a little more of a grey area. If Dan had pulled CT into the library and said "I'm a traitor and so are Parvati and Phaedra" or he had stood in the circle and said, "I'm a traitor and so are Parvati an Phaedra", I think that's where the "rules" would come into play. But during the actual roundtable I feel like all bets are off. I haven't watched a single iteration of this show where traitors didn't go for other traitors at the roundtable at some point. 

• Like 15
(edited)
10 hours ago, MartyQui said:

In the Australian version of the show, the traitors picked off each other one by one.  It was pretty fun to watch!

In the first season of the UK version, one guy turned on a traitor every time he was in the hot seat. He would go apeshit just about every time he was in the hot seat. It was entertaining to watch.

I just finished season 1 of the UK show. It was amazing!

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1

In one of her talking heads this episode, Phaedra is wearing a white outfit that we haven't seen before, so I'm going to guess MJ voted for Peter and that Phaedra sticks around a bit longer. 

But I've been wrong before!

• Useful 8
17 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I just can't stop thinking about Dan, a person that happened to be a traitor and clearly knows who other traitors are, calling Phaedra out as a traitor and that just seems unfair.

Well, it’s not liked it worked, so…? However many rounds later and she’s still there. And even without Dan’s input, Trishelle had her list of Very Important Clues that likely would have put a spotlight on Phaedra regardless. 

Ok, let me get this straight… Peter has a one-on-one meeting with Dan, which people find suspicious. Then Peter has a one-on-one meeting with Parvati, which makes people suspect him even more. So to get the target off his back, he decides to.. have a one-on-one meeting with Phaedra? Good going, Ace.

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
4 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

But during the actual roundtable I feel like all bets are off. I haven't watched a single iteration of this show where traitors didn't go for other traitors at the roundtable at some point. 

Probably. On some podcast someone said that the rule was that when trying to convince the others that they are a faithful, a traitor can cast suspicion on one of the other traitors. But, once it's been confirmed that they are a traitor, identifying other traitors is against the rules. In this interview, he more or less says he wasn't trying to be like Arie. He figured if he made it to the end with Phaedra, she would likely throw him under the bus.

• Useful 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And even without Dan’s input, Trishelle had her list of Very Important Clues that likely would have put a spotlight on Phaedra regardless.

I think that made up about 0.5% of her suspicion about Phaedra and Dan’s input made up the other 99.5% of it.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, Rae Spellman said:

In this interview, he more or less says he wasn't trying to be like Arie. He figured if he made it to the end with Phaedra, she would likely throw him under the bus.

I actually think Phaedra wouldn’t have done that to him.

i remember Cirie explained why she got rid of Arie in the end, and she said something like Arie wasn’t a traitor for that long. Arie had only done one or two murders, meanwhile Cirie had been going through the stress of being a traitor from day one. She felt he didn’t deserve it. I’m not sure if Arie being there from day 1 would have made a difference but that’s what she said.

Phaedra, on the other hand, put some genuine trust in her fellow traitors. Had they made it to the end together, I don’t think she would have gotten rid of them. 

On the flip side, I think Dan and Parvati would have done it to Phaedra though 😂

• Like 5
9 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Yes he could have done that.  The problem is the "faithfuls" were desperate for a win and Dan knew that.  If he got them to vote for a faithful, they'd just come back to him the next week.  I think he was hoping if he could give them a traitor, one that nobody suspected (apparently), then it'd take some of the pressure off. I get his strategy but I think he would have had an easier time going after Parvati.

23 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

I haven't watched Survivor since Season 1, so how the hell was Sandra able to win? She's been wrong with her vote every single time except the 2 times it was impossible for ANYone to be wrong.

It's important to identify the traitors but strategically, it may not be a good idea to eliminate them until close to the end of the game because you run the risk of a faithful being recruited. Late-recruited traitors are probably more difficult to suss out. There's less time for them to make a mistake.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes he could have done that.  The problem is the "faithfuls" were desperate for a win and Dan knew that.  If he got them to vote for a faithful, they'd just come back to him the next week.  I think he was hoping if he could give them a traitor, one that nobody suspected (apparently), then it'd take some of the pressure off. I get his strategy but I think he would have had an easier time going after Parvati.

He would have definitely had an easier time naming Parvati. Parvati was the only other name that would have feasibly been voted out if it wasn't Dan. Parvati and Dan were the names that had the most buzz when Dan was voted out. Dan was unwilling to throw Parvati under the bus. Didn't they offer a deal to Dan to flip on Parvati? or is that my imagination?

Some of the cast in their exit interviews have said that Dan just waited too late to throw out Phaedra's name. Instead of drawing his red strings and sleeping on it, Dan should have been spreading seeds about Phaedra earlier than he did. Dan waited until people were already committed to voting for him. It was too late to turn their heads away from Dan.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 4

Sandra did another podcast interview, and she explains that the whole reason she tells Phaedra to aim for Trishelle is because they wanted CT to get the shield over Trishelle. She says that she's thinking CT is in "The Leftovers" and Trishelle is in the opposite alliance, forgetting in that moment that CT and Trishelle had known each other for over 20 years. She didn't realize in that moment that trying to get CT a shield would have rung some alarm bells with CT.

Also, Sandra says that even though she may think or suspect that Phaedra is a traitor, Sandra believes that Phaedra is protecting her. At this point, Sandra believes banishing Phaedra only hurts her game. I believe she's said this before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Peter's issue is that his game play has created division in the castle and that division only benefits the traitors. He purposely excludes a large group of people from his "most faithful" alliance and then gets angry when they're hesitant to vote with him.

His decision to isolate from the larger group & continually have secret invitation only meetings, shutting doors in peoples faces, obviously didn't engender trust from the remaining faithful. 

So now, when he needs them to vote with him at the roundtable, of course they're suspicious of his motives. Exactly the type of suspicion the traitors need to potentially avoid being banished. The sad thing is that he did it to himself. 

Edited by snarts
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

I found it interesting that Peter came out and said that the way to win is to take a known Traitor to the finals with you because "no one will vote to end the game if Parvati's there." To a certain extent that's true, but I think it only works if a) you're sure that it's not you and TWO Traitors in the final, and b) the Traitors don't know that you know who they are.

The problem with this season is that the Traitors all got exposed, so now you need a different play style.

I also thought it was interesting that Kate said she was disappointed that Phaedra was the only Traitor -- which means they were at least entertaining the idea that someone got recruited.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:02 AM, AntFTW said:

I'm usually the first one to say there is no fairness in these games. The players just have to play the hand they're dealt and not the hand they wish they had.

...but I just can't stop thinking about Dan, a person that happened to be a traitor and clearly knows who other traitors are, calling Phaedra out as a traitor and that just seems unfair.

Dan definitely blew things up for everyone when he pushed to murder someone with a shield and then started going after Phaedra, and I would be annoyed if I were on team Traitor with him. But also there were three people in that tower and the other two could have put their feet down and refused to murder someone who could have a shield. They all made that mistake together.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:23 AM, sandwoman said:

I think the same. If she had voted for Peter that would be a huge upset in the way things have been going, and very exciting TV, so I feel like they wouldn't have cut. I think they ended the episode here because they know it's boring if the Faithful pick off the last obvious Traitor so they're trying to create suspense where there is none.

I hope I'm wrong.

21 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

They do take an "oath" to not reveal their identities or that of their fellow traitors but I feel like at the roundtable, it's a little more of a grey area. If Dan had pulled CT into the library and said "I'm a traitor and so are Parvati and Phaedra" or he had stood in the circle and said, "I'm a traitor and so are Parvati an Phaedra", I think that's where the "rules" would come into play. But during the actual roundtable I feel like all bets are off. I haven't watched a single iteration of this show where traitors didn't go for other traitors at the roundtable at some point. 

Yeah, I was always confused about where the line was. I the first season, they seemed to play as if they were forbidden from directly accusing another Traitor ever, but this season it seems do be, "Don't stand in the circle and say 'these are the other Traitors.'"

And, to be fair, if you WERE forbidden from ever accusing another Traitor, that could become a quick way to find out who the Traitors are because you could just go around the table and see who refuses to accuse the obvious Traitor.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, SourK said:

Dan definitely blew things up for everyone when he pushed to murder someone with a shield and then started going after Phaedra, and I would be annoyed if I were on team Traitor with him. But also there were three people in that tower and the other two could have put their feet down and refused to murder someone who could have a shield. They all made that mistake together.

I think that trying to murder Bernie was Dan and Parvati’s mistake, not so much Phaedra’s.

That one move marked Dan and Parvati’s downfall. That move did nothing for Phaedra. It didn’t hurt her game. Phaedra’s mistake, I guess, was trusting Dan but I understand how she couldn’t foresee that Dan would have dragged her down with him.

• Like 2

Phaedra has been the Sandra of Traitors, not giving an opinion on who they should kill.  Kate was shocked that Phaedra asked her who to send home when she’d been a traitor for a hot minute.  

I’d expected CT to be better at the challenge than he was….or pretended to be.  At the end when it was him and one other, he got business done.  Maybe after he was pretty much responsible for getting through last week’s challenge, leading them through the tunnels, going back for the second group and even staying behind to get that last $5,000…. He figured it would be best to hang back this week.  

• Like 3

As long as the rules allow it, a traitor throwing another traitor under the bus for the benefit of their own game doesn't seem worse than the faithful voting out someone they are pretty sure is a faithful. It's a game. Most of those people have known each other less than a week. In Dan's position, or even Kate's I wouldn't be terribly motivated to do almost all of the heavy lifting and protect Phaedra.

While Peter is sanctimonious and loves a closed-door meeting, as the cast make the podcast rounds, they mention time Peter spent with non-Pals and even an early, short-lived non-Pal alliance. 

At this point I'm rooting for John, CT, Sheree, or MJ to win. 

• Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mimi said:

Why was there a recruitment of Kate and a murder?  I thought one could recruit or murder and not both.

Season winding down?

Edited by DEL901
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Mimi said:

Why was there a recruitment of Kate and a murder?  I thought one could recruit or murder and not both.

They're making up rules as they go on.  No one could have predicted Peter would be dumb enough to refuse an offer to become a traitor.  The dipshit producers didn't have a plan B, so the viewers were left with an episode where no one left. The next recruitment was now either say yes or leave the show.  The producers have some catching up to do.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

They're making up rules as they go on.  No one could have predicted Peter would be dumb enough to refuse an offer to become a traitor.  The dipshit producers didn't have a plan B, so the viewers were left with an episode where no one left. The next recruitment was now either say yes or leave the show.  The producers have some catching up to do.

Accept or be murdered was how it was always set up in the first UK season. I don't know why the producers just didn't follow that rule. I mean, they're copying everything else from the UK version. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, Mimi said:

5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Accept or be murdered was how it was always set up in the first UK season. I don't know why the producers just didn't follow that rule. I mean, they're copying everything else from the UK version. 🤷‍♀️

I'm pretty sure they did the ultimatum the same way in the UK show.

In the ultimatum, the lone traitor picks a Faithful to give an ultimatum to, "join me as a traitor or die." If the Faithful accepts, the traitors then get to murder someone else.

I mean, they're copying everything else from the UK version. 🤷‍♀️

Literally everything, down the challenges.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Useful 2

The US versions were filmed before the UK versions: US1, UK1, US2, UK2, so the UK is copying everything from the US but airing it first. Kind of like Cilla Black and Dionne Warwick.

• Useful 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Jeffurry said:

The US versions were filmed before the UK versions: US1, UK1, US2, UK2, so the UK is copying everything from the US but airing it first. Kind of like Cilla Black and Dionne Warwick.

Not true.  Traitors UK premiered on November 29, 2022.  Traitors US premiered on Jan 12, 2023.

And just for the record both Traitors are based on the Dutch show De Verraders.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not true.  Traitors UK premiered on November 29, 2022.  Traitors US premiered on Jan 12, 2023.

They were saying the US versions filmed first, not aired. I've heard that too but I don't know if it's true.

How similar are the US/UK versions to the original Dutch show?

I liked that the Australian version didn't follow the exact same format.

Does anyone know which format the New Zealand one follows?

Did anyone watch the Canadian version? Does it follow the format of the US/UK, Australia, or is it unique? I wish they were bringing it to Peacock like the others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

The same production company is behind the US and UK versions of The Traitors and films them back-to-back.  I don't know about the second seasons of both shows but I do know that the US version of S1 filmed before the UK version even though the UK version aired first. 

And I don't think there are any "rules" about whether or not a recruitment follows a traitor banishment. It's whatever production decides  I suspect, had Peter taken the traitors up on their offer, there might not have been a Kate recruitment.   I think they want to change the rules to add some unpredictability about how many traitors there is likely to be to shake things up for each season. 

And this season began with 2 more people than last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

I’ve listened to so many interviews from the cast about this episode and previous episodes from Janelle, Sandra, Trishelle, Ekin-Su, Parvati, and Marcus Jordan… and maybe a couple others. With the exception of Janelle and Sandra, they are not generous with details and events that we don’t see on TV.

For any part of the story that they can fill, Sandra and Janelle will tell you what happened, what led up to it, what they were thinking, what everyone did and how everyone reacted. Everyone else pretty much leaves you starving.

23 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And I don't think there are any "rules" about whether or not a recruitment follows a traitor banishment. It's whatever production decides  I suspect, had Peter taken the traitors up on their offer, there might not have been a Kate recruitment.

I suspect they only do the “ultimatums” when there is one traitor left. On both his show and season 1 of the UK show, the “join me or be murdered” ultimatums only happened when there was one traitor left. Therefore, I assume those only happen when there is one traitor left.

If Peter had become a traitor and was left with Phaedra, I don’t think there would have been an ultimatum either.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

For any part of the story that they can fill, Sandra and Janelle will tell you what happened, what led up to it, what they were thinking, what everyone did and how everyone reacted. Everyone else pretty much leaves you starving.

I don't love this show enough to listen to BTS podcasts but I do appreciate that there are a few players willing to put out more details--even if it's frustrating because many times the players are playing smarter than the edits and I prefer watching smart play. 

So thanks to everyone who brings over those BTS tidbits. 

• Like 4

I know Phaedra's line to Peter in the Round Table was already spoiled but I couldn't help but howl when Phaedra said "You forget...this is not the bachelor and I do not have to kiss your ass to get a rose."   That kept me laughing for a bit.   Phaedra is the queen when it comes to disses.

I do feel like Dan did blow Phaedra's game out of the water.   I truly believe she would've remained undetected had he not done that.   But I get why he did it.   

I'm so loving this show and am bummed it's ending soon.

• Like 6
On 2/26/2024 at 1:56 PM, sugarbaker design said:

And just for the record both Traitors are based on the Dutch show De Verraders.

The US version was FILMED first but AIRED second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1