Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E14: New Groom, Who Dis?

• Start Topic

I am not the mod, so I am not starting tonight's thread, but did want to note that on tonight's Afterparty, it will be Chloe, to talk about her wedding, and Lauren (for God's sake - why???) to talk about how she felt about her conversation with Orion. And another "guest" I don't know, but this doesn't even sound like it is worth recording, much less watching. I am guessing that all of the people who aren't in the hospital (lucky for Cam) will be guests at the latest wedding and Lauren and Orion will have another uncomfortable discussion. The guest may be another of those oh so helpful social media people. Yuck.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Chloe looked quite traditional when she walked out in her lacy gown, but then the camera got to her shoes, lol. And they matched his tux.

I like her so far, but the vows were obviously written beforehand, so saying "as I look in your eyes, I can tell you're..." (paraphrasing) gives a really false note.

I hope they work out better than the other atrocious matches. This season has been such a downer. 

• Like 10
(edited)

"Welcome to the dysfunctional MAFS family, Chloe. You're our last hope. Cheers!"

P.S. Retired At Last...I think it's a thread now.🙂

Edited by kikicat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 3

After getting jilted at the altar the first time, one groom gets an historic second chance to be married at first sight, but his bride might refuse to marry him; the drama between the other couples could ruin what might have been a happy day. 

Air date: 1/24/24

• Like 2

Orion really dressed up for the wedding, huh?

And now we have the boring flashbacks. And now another round of O & L rehash. Going back to my book.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I've created the topic for tonight's episode using the preferred format:

S17.E14: New Groom, Who Dis?

Please add any new posts to that topic.

If you know how to move posts from one topic to another (I do not) I'd really appreciate it if you would please move the six posts written in this topic to the new one. 

I believe a mod has to merge the threads. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I have a funny feeling that it's Michael who might wind up running from Chloe.  There's something "off" about her.  I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I have a funny feeling that it's Michael who might wind up running from Chloe.  There's something "off" about her.

I want to love her - she rescues senior dogs! I love senior dogs!

And we just saw the entire reason Brennan doesn’t want to be with Emily, written all across his face, as he watched her “wooooo” and drink on the dance floor.

• Like 14
Just now, Crashcourse said:

I suppose it was just nerves, but she was just so "over the top," so I'll see how she is under normal circumstances.  Michael could use some skin care.

I think he probably has excellent skin care. I think his skin is scarred from acne earlier in life and I don’t think skin care can really change that.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Yep, that was pretty blatant. Brennan wants to run away so bad.

Chloe, all pink-cheeked and giddy. Nice to see, even if it's the usual married-at-first-sight high. I'm spoiler-free, so good luck to them!

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1

So funny they had all the other 'not couples' there for support 😁 It seems the wedding day ceremony and reception is almost always an inspired day.  Michael is ruining the vibe by repeating his jilted story to everyone.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I have a funny feeling that it's Michael who might wind up running from Chloe.  There's something "off" about her.  I hope I'm wrong.

Yep.  I think so too.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, so far, Chloe seems like a good sport, and she seems to like him.  Or she's a good actress.  It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Well so far she seems a little cray cray to me..... but maybe she will settle down.... there's something off with her.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Praise the heavens, someone (Chloe) is finally NOT wearing pink on AfterParty.

Hah! My husband just suggested that they should have invited Michael’s first match to his wedding with Chloe…

• LOL 4

Orion and Lauren sitting next to each other and talking then hugging was all kinds of cringeworthy.  Not believing any of it.

Brennan looks like he's smelling a turd all the time.  The faces he was making even around the other guys makes me really dislike him.  The editing tried to make Emily look like she was getting drunk and acting wild but who hasn't danced like that at a wedding?  I know I have and I'm no lush by a long shot.  And then to make it look like he was leaving because of her was in my opinion how they make someone look bad when it might not be anywhere near the truth.  If he's that pissed off all the time and unhappy with his wife WTF is he still doing there?  He can leave any time but he doesn't.  

I so want to believe in this marriage and despite his appearance Michael actually seems like a really solid guy, but my expectations are really low at this point.  And I worry about Chloe, she seems like the type that might be hiding some sort of wacko side.

I only noticed Keisha once during the commercial breaks this time.  Maybe they got the memo that people wanted to see a bit less of her.  I haven't watched the Afterparty yet as it's just airing.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Orion and Lauren sitting next to each other and talking then hugging was all kinds of cringeworthy.  Not believing any of it.

I had to kinda laugh at Clare in the background, eating her salad and drinking her wine, like all that cringe wasn’t happening right next to her.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • LOL 8

Well, well, well!

Isn't this bunch of dysfunctional, unlucky in love losers full of advice for the happy couple!??

I wanted to yell at the tv:

🗣 Don't listen to none of them! And I mean: ☝🏾Not None of 'Em!!!

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t believe this marriage.  I think it was a set up.

I dont believe the whole drama with the first bride. Since when has the show respected anyone's privacy, especially after that person already signed the contract. I think they'd  blast her face on tv and follow her story for a few more weeks.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

I dont believe the whole drama with the first bride. Since when has the show respected anyone's privacy, especially after that person already signed the contract. I think they'd  blast her face on tv and follow her story for a few more weeks.

I've heard it's the opposite, they got mad at her so they decided to give her zero TV time on purpose. I think she intended to do that from the start so she remains in the history of the show as the first bride to ever refuse to get married and get some publicity for it but the producers didn't let her.

Edited by SummerDreams
  • Like 5
  • Useful 7
(edited)

Best MAFS episode EVER!

Michael and Chloe seem ready to join the pantheon of MAFS Still-Marrieds!

Clare seems to be re-assessing Cameron's worth to her. I believe she really did miss him then.

Austin is still psychologically hiding from Becca, as that beard takes over his face like kudzu. She should tell him it's a good thing he's "not ready for intimacy," because neither is she, with him! 

Too bad we had to see a disgusted Brennan walking away from the dancing. What a royal jerk. But then, Emily didn't have to literally whoop it up.

ETA: This is it? There's not a different  thread I'm missing here?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 3

To be honest I think that's the most I've liked all people in this season.Orion and Lauren seemed to me they were their most real selves we've seen in this show. Brennan was really supportive and genuine with Michael, so were the girls with Chloe.

I may be really naive but I do think Michael and Chloe will do really well. I'd really want to see Michael's family though as well.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Well, well, well!

Isn't this bunch of dysfunctional, unlucky in love losers full of advice for the happy couple!??

I wanted to yell at the tv:

🗣 Don't listen to none of them! And I mean: ☝🏾Not None of 'Em!!!

I was like “one is divorced, one is separated and the other is miserable. None of y’all are equipped to give advice.”

Brennan’s look of “sigh, here she goes again” was the beginning and end of the story.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

First of all very little Keisha Knight Pullam!  Thank you Jesus.

Brennan has to have a stick up his butt.  He's.... Something.

Why did Orion start to look handsome?

Clare really you expected him to answer the phone!

Where are Michael's family?  When he was talking about his tattoo's of his mother, father and sister are they deceased?

Strange gathering. Michael is eccentric and very kind.

12 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I was like “one is divorced, one is separated and the other is miserable. None of y’all are equipped to give advice.”

Brennan’s look of “sigh, here she goes again” was the beginning and end of the story.

No wonder Brennan was never married!

• Like 4

Michael has a nice smile but his style is a bit much for me and if he really spends a fortune on shoes that might be a problem. Chloe seemed too good to be true so I can see why people think she is an actress. I don’t think she is an actress but think she is trying too hard and won’t be able to keep that up all the time.

I continue to think Emily has issues with drinking too much and then trying to force herself on Brennan and she also probably acts embarrassing and he has to take care of her. I have been in that situation of having to take care of someone who got drunk and started fights with people, knocking things over and generally being idiotic. I don’t like Brennan but also think he shouldn’t have to be in that position with a woman he barely knows. Emily is her own worst enemy and she needs to find out why she never has more than date.

Still don’t like Orion and hate it that he is trying to get hugs and friendship from Lauren. She is being way nicer then I would be in that situation.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

only noticed Keisha once during the commercial breaks this time.  Maybe they got the memo that people wanted to see a bit less of her.  I haven't watched the Afterparty yet as it's just airing.

I wish Keisha would stop talking like a baby.  I also have a feeling Lauren wants in  .. in some capacity.  Why is she still hanging around?

• Like 3

I remember Brennan being the one who, in the beginning of the process stated that "divorce is not an option".  I was curious how long that would last, and it seems to have dissolved maybe sometime during the honeymoon.  It was a stupid statement and he should've thought about marrying any one of his former dates and deciding if he could be married to that person "forever".  Essentially, what he was marrying was more of a crapshoot than any of his former dates.  Sheesh!

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, so far, Chloe seems like a good sport, and she seems to like him.  Or she's a good actress.  It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

The very first thing I thought was good actress!  There is more to this story....

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Rightside said:

Why weren't the pink haired girl and her husband (dark hair/beard) at the wedding?

Becca and Austin flew to Philadelphia to visit Austin's grandmother.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If he's that pissed off all the time and unhappy with his wife WTF is he still doing there?  He can leave any time but he doesn't. 

Yesterday I was watching the episode where they stat their lives together (ha!) in Denver (I didn't know if I'd seen it before--that's how much of an impression this season is leaving on me) and there was a scene of Brennan and Emily sitting on the couch talking to Cal.  Brennan was very clear in saying he didn't have any romantic feelings toward Emily, and said he hadn't even during the honeymoon, but added that was a hectic time and who knows what's going on, but that's over and he's still not feeling romantic feelings for her. 

Of course Cal started in on convincing him that the feelings could grow, and searching for nuggets to base that on.  I hate it when he does that because feelings are feelings and you can't convince yourself to have them.  You can change your mind and develop them, but I can't believe it would ever happen just because someone is hectoring you to do it.

Cal just doesn't seem to understand that for some people, compromise comes after attachment, after developing something strong enough to be willing to compromise to save what you have.  And being matched by these experts only rarely is an instantaneously strong basis to rival what happens after people date for a while.

Anyway, Brennan's been clear for a long time he's not feeling it with Emily; what he's refusing to say in front of cameras is why he's not feeling it.  (I haven't paid enough attention to know or even draw an inference that he's told her in private.) 

So why doesn't he leave?  I don't know.  Maybe they're really leaning on him because the couples are dropping like flies.  Maybe he thinks "I signed a contract and I'm going to fulfill it to the best of my ability."

And maybe, reading what Suzeecat just posted, he's really wrestling with what the hell he's going to do if divorce really isn't an option for him, and just treading water. 

(And I agree that going on this show is a particularly stupid for someone who really believes in never getting a divorce.)

Actually, I think Brennan is ghosting her just like everybody else has, but he can't just cut off communication like they did.  Which makes it a LOT messier.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

There were too many changes this season.. not for the better.  Drink recipes, call in games, five million commercials, After Party later than usual, etc.  Just too different, IMO.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Still don’t like Orion and hate it that he is trying to get hugs and friendship from Lauren. She is being way nicer then I

On After-party Lauren explained that the mood definitely changed when all 5 wedding guests went to a bar post reception.  Orion was standoffish and Brennan was being his usual angry, moody self.

• Like 5
(edited)

Who makes a stupid statement “Divorce isn’t an option” coming on a show sight unseen?  You married an alcoholic, now deal with it.  Afraid of his Parents?

BTW, what happened to Cameron?  Did he have a heart procedure?  Or what?

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
42 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

On After-party Lauren explained that the mood definitely changed when all 5 wedding guests went to a bar post reception.  Orion was standoffish and Brennan was being his usual angry, moody self.

don't know why they would even want to go to a bar together when they didn't like their (ex)spouse and clare is no fun

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, cinsays said:

don't know why they would even want to go to a bar together when they didn't like their (ex)spouse and clare is no fun

I don't remember a cast that seems to dislike each other so much (as well as disliking their spouses).  I don't think anyone likes Orion.  Brendan and Austin seem to commiserate but I don't think they really like each other.  I think the girls are "friendly" towards each other but I don't think any of them will be friends when this is all over.  Becca probably won't be talking to Emily after what Emily revealed on the after-party last week. Plus Becca doesn't drink so don't see them having a lot in common.  The girls might all go out a few times together after the show airs to get attention but I don't see that lasting.  I also don't think Cameron gives a shit about any of them.

Curious as to what they'll do about the couples retreat this season.  Will the new couple go straight from their honeymoon?  Emily and Brendan won't even be speaking by then and Becca may have given up on trying to jump Austin's bones.  Wonder what types of "activities" they'll force them into.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I  kind of tuned in and out (mostly out), but I was pretty disgusted when pseudo-therapist Clare started talking and giving advice and mentioning her husband. Technically, yes, but he dumped her ass a long time ago. 

Lauren is so determined to be on camera as much as possible, and I am not even the slightest bit interested in her or her wackadoo husband. I didn't even try to watch the Afterparty.

I have a feeling that Chloe is going to be "too much" for Michael! When she went on and on how attracted to him she was, I was out. He DOES seem like a decent and even intelligent guy, but he knows he is eccentric and he knows that not many women will like that. His friends were kind of strangely silent. I don't even know if THEY like him. They kept showing that one guy, who never said a single word. They just kept the camera on his face. Did he ever talk?

I am glad I didn't have to see Emily drunk again. Every time they had a shot, not even on her, but she was in the frame, she had that horrible smirky face. It seems that Brennan is not liked much on here, but I am 100% in his court. 

Well, I hope that Becca and her BFF Austin had a nice time with his family. I still have zero expectations that they will say yes on D Day. I imagine that she will, but he won't, which will humiliate her even more than she allows herself to be now.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

When she went on and on how attracted to him she was, I was out. He DOES seem like a decent and even intelligent guy, but he knows he is eccentric and he knows that not many women will like that.

I think he’s really only eccentric-looking in terms of his personal style. He has a good not-unusual job (I think he’s in tech sales, which can be very lucrative) and comes across as emotionally intelligent and kind. I like his personality best of the men this season. I’d classify the guy from the Miami season who lived in an un-air conditioned bus (which: absolutely fucking not, I want a divorce) or Bennett from New Orleans who lived in a tiny house (also no, I have strong negative opinions about tiny houses) as more eccentric than Michael.

• Like 7

One thing that I think really adds to how "fake" this season seems is the lack of discussion about jobs and what these people do on a daily basis.  On past seasons, jobs and money have been a huge point of discussion.  There was the guy that worked for a college and his wife was a RE broker.  He felt like she didn't support him enough in his job.  There was the couple where the guy was supposedly a principal but was lying to his wife about what his job was.   There was the HS teacher with the basketball player.  The firefighter with the woman in education that spent too much $$.  Lindy was a physical therapist, Mitch was an environmentalist, Stacia ran her own company.  All these jobs were important to their storylines.  With this cast, I have no idea what they do besides Cameron and Becca.  It's like they are all so checked out that their jobs aren't even relevant.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 1/24/2024 at 9:58 PM, kristen111 said:

I don’t believe this marriage.  I think it was a set up.

I don't believe it either!!!   I'm starting to think Michael is playing a role for the producers and he agreed to play the role.

-different looking guy

-turned down at the alter ( we never got to see the runaway bride or know anything about her)

-second wedding and the bride seems more like an actress (she is in on this "wedding")

I'll bet money there is no marriage license at the courthouse!

Producers going for some drama!!

Edited by Rightside
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, kikicat said:

the camera got to her shoes, lol. And they matched his tux.

I thought he was putting on those shoes! How cute that she matched his tux! They were great at the altar & for the reception & pics. She lost me with the fake lash on her head. & The kissing sounds they added while they were cuddled up were so stupid.

• Like 3

How odd that the one couple still married didn't even introduce themselves as such, yet Clare mentioned her husband who isn't there & is also divorcing. She's spinning a strange narrative about them being "good friends," I doubt he'd say the same. He's probably trying to cut it off. Orion asked Lauren if she wanted to have a conversation & she said no, then proceeded to talk & talk & talk. & She realized she'd been triggered by his words & her antics triggered him. Blah. Blah. Blah. Ya. They could've figured it out, but he punked out & he still has the eye bump. How dare he ask for a hug & say he's glad she's doing okay. Why did the guys say they missed Michael? For what?

• Like 6

They are all good cautionary tales. 

I think he’s really only eccentric-looking in terms of his personal style. He has a good not-unusual job (I think he’s in tech sales, which can be very lucrative) and comes across as emotionally intelligent and kind. I like his personality best of the men this season.

I totally agree. And Michael knows his look is eccentric. In a city like LA, where he was raised, no one would lift an eyebrow. I'm sort of grateful for a break in the endless sea of khaki pants and polo shirts. Personality wise, I think Michael is a bit of a unicorn in a really good way. At least thus far, he seems to actually be a really clear communicator and comfortable discussion emotions, which no one seems to be able to think men are ever able to do. As for expensive taste in clothes and shoes, if he can afford it, no problem. If he spends beyond his means, that's a problem but it would be whether he was spending on clothes or golf clubs or cars or whatever else. 

One thing that I think really adds to how "fake" this season seems is the lack of discussion about jobs and what these people do on a daily basis.

This made me think - what do we know:

• Clare and Cameron - therapist and carbon fiber bicycle repair
  • Brennan and Emily - no idea and IT sales (I think)
  • Austin and Becca - no idea and photographer
  • Orion and Lauren - plumber and Federal government worker (management level)
  • Michael and Chloe - IT sales and non-profit executive

pseudo-therapist Clare

She is not a pseudo-therapist. She is an actual therapist, finishing her post-graduate supervision.

Where are Michael's family?  When he was talking about his tattoo's of his mother, father and sister are they deceased?

He said his father died when he was 14 but I don't remember him saying anything else about the rest of his family.

BTW, what happened to Cameron?  Did he have a heart procedure?  Or what?

Last we saw him, he was in the car outside the hospital and was headed in for his "procedure." I don't think we ever learned what specific procedure he was having and if it was going to be outpatient or if he was going to be in the hospital for a period of time. I kind of had the impression that he was home recuperating but I don't think anyone specifically said that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1