Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/6/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 6 – Leslie Jones (author, “Leslie F*cking Jones”)

Tuesday, Nov. 7 – Tyler Perry (documentary, “Maxine’s Baby: The Tyler Perry Story”); Holly Marie (author, “Finding Baby Holly”)

Wednesday, Nov. 8 – Former Secretary of State and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton joined by Shannon Cohn (director, “Below the Belt”)

Thursday, Nov. 9 – John Legend (Get Lifted Books)

Friday, Nov. 10 – Jennifer Fraser and her Australian shepherd Daiquiri (ABC News Studios’ “The Secret Life of Dancing Dogs”)

• Thanks 2

So what got from the Baby Holly interview is that if your loved one is missing, you just have not prayed hard enough to find them. Keep begging God, y'all. Beg hard. She thinks her parents were in a cult? Sounds like it runs in the family. 

Glad she found her relatives. Tragic story. Bad advice, in my opinion. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

So what got from the Baby Holly interview is that if your loved one is missing, you just have not prayed hard enough to find them. Keep begging God, y'all. Beg hard. She thinks her parents were in a cult? Sounds like it runs in the family. 

Glad she found her relatives. Tragic story. Bad advice, in my opinion. 

I found that story rather confusing.  When the cult ladies showed up with the baby, weren't the authorities called?  I mean, if someone randomly just showed up at my door and handed me a baby, I'd be calling the police.  Maybe it was treated as an abandoned baby case and the adopted dad was given temporary custody until the adoption went through?  And was Holly given away before her parents were killed or after?  And is this cult still going on?  They didn't really go into any details.  Guess I'll have to watch the 20/20 episode if I want to know more (Could also read the book...but I don't feel like it).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I found that story rather confusing.  When the cult ladies showed up with the baby, weren't the authorities called?  I mean, if someone randomly just showed up at my door and handed me a baby, I'd be calling the police.  Maybe it was treated as an abandoned baby case and the adopted dad was given temporary custody until the adoption went through?  And was Holly given away before her parents were killed or after?  And is this cult still going on?  They didn't really go into any details.  Guess I'll have to watch the 20/20 episode if I want to know more (Could also read the book...but I don't feel like it).

Depends which cult you mean, the christian cult is still going strong if that's the cult that you mean.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I found that story rather confusing.  When the cult ladies showed up with the baby, weren't the authorities called?  I mean, if someone randomly just showed up at my door and handed me a baby, I'd be calling the police.

Yes, I was confused too. So these women just showed up at a random man’s house and handed him a baby?  And he didn’t call the police?  She kept mentioning her father but did she have a mother help raise her too?  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I watched the 20/20 story on this last Friday.  It was pretty good and answers a lot of questions, but not everything.  She was given away before they were killed.  Per the story the adopted dad told, one of the ladies in white said she was the mother.  She wanted him and his wife to raise the baby.   The parents signed away the parental rights in order for them to adopt.    He and his wife had 1 kid already, and were unsuccessful trying to conceive again.   So they took the baby. I don't think the police or social services were involved.   it was also the 70s and times were different.     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, After7Only said:

I watched the 20/20 story on this last Friday.  It was pretty good and answers a lot of questions, but not everything.  She was given away before they were killed.  Per the story the adopted dad told, one of the ladies in white said she was the mother.  She wanted him and his wife to raise the baby.   The parents signed away the parental rights in order for them to adopt.    He and his wife had 1 kid already, and were unsuccessful trying to conceive again.   So they took the baby. I don't think the police or social services were involved.   it was also the 70s and times were different.     

Watching the 20/20 episode right now and after the cultists showed up with the baby (supposedly one of them was the birth mom), the adoptive parents contacted a lawyer who handled the adoption.  So it was basically a private adoption and a notice was put in the paper announcing that there was going to be an adoption hearing for an abandoned baby.

Also, it was the 80s, not the 70s (though 1981, so almost the 70s.  Just bigger hair.  LOL)

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

I felt that Whoopi's personal experience that she related during the endometriosis discussion confused rather than illuminated. I'm not expert in this topic, but it seemed to me that she conflated endometriosis, UTI, and yeast infection and suggested that endometriosis could be had "one time" and cleared up with antibiotics.  I've known people who suffered with endometriosis, and I'm sure if a course of antibiotics would have cleared it up, they would have been ecstatic.

• Like 13
19 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I felt that Whoopi's personal experience that she related during the endometriosis discussion confused rather than illuminated. I'm not expert in this topic, but it seemed to me that she conflated endometriosis, UTI, and yeast infection and suggested that endometriosis could be had "one time" and cleared up with antibiotics.  I've known people who suffered with endometriosis, and I'm sure if a course of antibiotics would have cleared it up, they would have been ecstatic.

Thank you. I thought the same thing. I guess thanks to Whoopi for normalizing graphic period talk, though. I am not even joking. It is a women's show.

**I even googled if endometriosis could be cured with one round of antibiotics to be sure. It seemed like everyone at the table was just placating her by not saying it can't be cured with a round of antibiotics. When they do this, it negates the whole point of the interview-making more people aware of the difficulty of women being believed in healthcare and undiagnosed endometriosis

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Like 11
26 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

It seemed like everyone at the table was just placating her

That tends to happen a lot.  Probably because they are afraid she will get mad. Which has happened before.  Remember when they tried to correct her when she said the Holocaust wasn't about race? If she had just said oh OK my bad she wouldn't have gotten in trouble.

• Like 13
26 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

That tends to happen a lot.  Probably because they are afraid she will get mad. Which has happened before.  Remember when they tried to correct her when she said the Holocaust wasn't about race? If she had just said oh OK my bad she wouldn't have gotten in trouble.

The problem is that if they don't correct her, this misinformation undercuts the legitimate information contained in the documentary. I understand the guest being polite and not contradicting the story, but if your goal is to get the topic taken seriously at all levels, you'd want the right info to be the last thing viewers hear. 

• Like 9

Oh, Whoopi. I personally don’t know any millennial that works 4 hours a week and expects to be able to buy a home. Instead, most of the fellow millennials I know have just accepted that although they work their butts off, the likelihood of them owning a home, having a large family or retiring with a comfy pension is nil.
And while this doesn’t encapsulate all millennials, the majority of my millennial friends rent, are child-free or only have one child and just get by on the bare minimum health insurance plans. Her comment almost made my head explode. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

you aren't allowed to contradict the all-wise whoopi and get away with it

• Like 11
1 minute ago, cinsays said:

She criticized doctors who "don't know how a woman's body works" while demonstrating that she isn't that conversant with how it works either. If she didn't always adopt the attitude that she knows it all, her lack of knowledge could work to expand the interview to reflect the questions that many women have.

• Like 7

Has anybody read “The Invisible Kingdom” by Meghan O’Rourke? Fascinating book about the same situation; how women are brushed off, placated and condescended to by the medical community. (Except in the author’s case, it was an autoimmune disease)

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Sharper2002 said:

Oh, Whoopi. I personally don’t know any millennial that works 4 hours a week and expects to be able to buy a home. Instead, most of the fellow millennials I know have just accepted that although they work their butts off, the likelihood of them owning a home, having a large family or retiring with a comfy pension is nil.
And while this doesn’t encapsulate all millennials, the majority of my millennial friends rent, are child-free or only have one child and just get by on the bare minimum health insurance plans. Her comment almost made my head explode. 

I think this depends on your social circle.  I'm a millennial and the majority of people I know (within the same age range) have kids and own homes.  Everyone I know who doesn't have kids just didn't want them.  It had nothing to do with finances.  Not having say, six kids could have come down to finances but again, most have 2-3 kids.  Same with home ownership.  I know a few people who rent but that's due to life choices (living in an expensive area, choosing to stay in a lower paying job, etc), not because it was unattainable.  

And they really should differentiate between Millennials and Gen Z.  Millennials are 27-42, while Gen Z is 11-26.  So yes, right now there are a large number of Gen Z living with their parents because the majority (even the adult ones) are still at a stage of life where they're either in school or just starting out.  Also, the pandemic set people back, especially if you were just starting college or a career.  

One thing no one ever brings up in these discussions is how there's a good number of Baby Boomers who have a hard time passing the torch (looking at you, Congress) or letting their kids grow through failure.  Everyone I know who's in a failure to launch situation (or whose parents still pay a lot of their bills), have parents who keep stepping in and "rescuing" their adult children, instead of letting them tough it out for a few years or learn from their mistakes.  It's like there's a generational savior complex going on and I'm not sure why.  Maybe because the WWII generation was hard on them so they swung hard the opposite way and over help?

• Like 3

I saw the 20/20 documentary.  The cult ladies, barefoot, and dressed in white went to the 7th Day Adventist Church, and gave the baby to the man, who was the pastor there.  He became her father, adopted her in  a private adoption. 

Oh, and Haleth, I read it as Don Adams at first also.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Thank you. I thought the same thing. I guess thanks to Whoopi for normalizing graphic period talk, though. I am not even joking. It is a women's show.

**I even googled if endometriosis could be cured with one round of antibiotics to be sure. It seemed like everyone at the table was just placating her by not saying it can't be cured with a round of antibiotics. When they do this, it negates the whole point of the interview-making more people aware of the difficulty of women being believed in healthcare and undiagnosed endometriosis

I thought from her description she was describing a yeast infection . A UTI taking antibiotic can cause a yeast infection though. The UTI have had there was no ignoring it as it was very painful. Actually I’ve had all three and endometriosis is very painful too. Nothing I could ignore. As my RN mom would say enough of the organ recital.  It was good seeing Hilary 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I don't think Whoopi understands about women's bodies let alone her own.

I don't think Whoopi understands much about anything.

15 hours ago, cinsays said:

"The truly intelligent person is one who can pretend to be a fool in front of a fool who pretends to be intelligent."

• Like 5
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe the show needs to bring in a doctor to tell Whoopi that she’s wrong-just like they had to bring in Don Abrams to explain to her the legalities of Bill Cosby’s case.

The show really does need to correct what Whoopi said. Or put a disclaimer on every show that says disregard everything Whoopi says.

• Like 4

TikTok: Whoopi compares distrust of TikTok with the previous generation's dislike of rock and roll, but those things are not comparable. Opposition to rock and roll was based more in cultural norms and expectations of how young people should behave, and I think the distrust of TikTok is more of a security concern that the company is passing user data to the Chinese Communist Party and engaging in privacy violations. TikTok denies this, but what else would they say. 

Discussion about visualizing goals: I think what Sunny said is similar to the old proverb, "God helps those who help themselves"; you can pray for something, but you shouldn't expect a higher power to just deliver it without any effort on your part.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
48 minutes ago, Glitches said:

I was looking forward to Alyssa’s comments about the Republican debate. She was there (prerecorded?) for part of the show. What happened? 

Whoopi said she was under the weather today at the beginning of the show.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Glitches said:

I was looking forward to Alyssa’s comments about the Republican debate. She was there (prerecorded?) for part of the show. What happened? 

She wasn't there, the part you're thinking of was obviously prerecorded as everyone was wearing different clothes & Alyssa was there. I turned it off then, nothing Jon Legend has to say interests me.

12 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

TikTok: Whoopi compares distrust of TikTok with the previous generation's dislike of rock and roll, but those things are not comparable. Opposition to rock and roll was based more in cultural norms and expectations of how young people should behave, and I think the distrust of TikTok is more of a security concern that the company is passing user data to the Chinese Communist Party and engaging in privacy violations. TikTok denies this, but what else would they say. 

Discussion about visualizing goals: I think what Sunny said is similar to the old proverb, "God helps those who help themselves"; you can pray for something, but you shouldn't expect a higher power to just deliver it without any effort on your part.

In regard to Tickety tock, what we have is politicians talking about something they know nothing about as usual. If the communist party care about me watching cat videos they can have at it but I highly doubt they do & there are much better & easier ways to get the information anyway. 

The whole de-lu-lu conversation shows that nobody on the panel knows what they're talking about, it's one guy on tickety tock who says that people some are de-lu-lu mean delusional when replying to questions and he is actually quite amusing.

Edited by Shrek
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The show really does need to correct what Whoopi said. Or put a disclaimer on every show that says disregard everything Whoopi says.

I listened to Whoopi's statement and I didn't take away that she believed anti-biotics cured her endometriosis.  Although I can see why people might have inferred that.   I took her to say that was that she had a UTI that led to other infections, and somewhere during the course of treatment for those conditions it was also discovered that she also had endometriosis.  In typical Whoopi fashion this was not said in the most eloquent or sensical way.   But I'm pretty sure Whoopi realizes that antibiotics does not cure endo.     

20 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I think she was referencing the scripture, faith without works is dead.   But the sentiment is the same.   You have to do more than just pray/believe.   You have to do the work

• Like 1

Sunny always comments on her kids accomplishments. They are very accomplished.

Whoopi is so into making it on her own but never mentions her daughters or grandkids accomplishments. That none have done and Whoopi supports them.

Except the brat grandkid on a reality show that was awful.

I think she is the last person to chat about working 4 hours a week or 40. And speak for her spoiled grandchildren that.....do what?

• Like 4

Thank goodness the show can start having actors as guests talking about their projects again. A performing dog?  I mean, I love dogs as much as anyone, but really show?

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I was uncomfortable with Sunny seemingly to think her children should not marry until 30.

I used to like Sunny but she's become a whole mess of contradictions.  A couple weeks ago, she was saying that she wanted more kids, but Manny said "no more" after they had two.  Then earlier this week, when discussing the "perfect number" of kids, Sunny says that she only had two because she didn't want to be outnumbered.   So which one is it?

Then (also last week or the week before) she says that she preaches abstinence to her kids but when Yvonne Orji says she's a virgin in her 30s, Sunny doesn't seem to believe her and questions whether or not she's a  "technical virgin".  Then she says that she doesn't want her kids getting married until they're 30.  So, she wants her kids to be abstinent until they're 30 but doesn't believe someone when they claim to be just that?  Okay then....

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

A couple weeks ago, she was saying that she wanted more kids, but Manny said "no more" after they had two.  Then earlier this week, when discussing the "perfect number" of kids, Sunny says that she only had two because she didn't want to be outnumbered.   So which one is it?

I caught that.  Sunny is not the same person she was a couple years ago.  Or maybe she was just more likable sitting next to the former blond who sat at the end of the table.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I caught that.  Sunny is not the same person she was a couple years ago.  Or maybe she was just more likable sitting next to the former blond who sat at the end of the table.

I think when Sunny was new to the show, she was on her best behavior and as she's gotten more comfortable, more of her real personality has come out.  And to your second point, I do think because Meghan was so volatile and loud, it caused everyone else on the panel to tone it down and be a lot more measured with their responses, just because she sucked a lot of the air out of the room.  Now that Meghan's gone, there's a lot more room for everyone else's crazy.

• Like 5
On 11/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, 2JEWELL said:

when whoopi rambles on and on, just once, I wish the whole panel would let their eyes glaze over and stare into the audience..

DRAMATICALLY!   With the camera on each of them: one by one.  If Whoopi gets attention for her OBVIOUS BOREDOM with too many current/entertaining topics, the rest of the panelists deserve the same attention.  I agree that she's a talented actress (that includes her one-woman show), but she's not bright enough to handle the top job at that table.  She's not half as bright as she thinks she is.

• Like 6
On 11/8/2023 at 5:12 PM, babyhouseman said:

My mother had endometriosis in her 40s. It was a lot of pain. She had a hysterectomy. I don't know what Whoopi is talking about 

Me too, exactly, nothing to do with infection. Mine was from the Dalkin shield. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, maggiemae said:

So tired of Whoopi laying on the table. She is soooooooo bored.

And boring. I ff forward during her pontifications lecturing us.

And...apparently this never gets old.  She tells the audience (first day's audience stays for the second day's taping) that she feels like she's seen them before...or it's deja vu.  I assume THEY think it's funny.  To me, it's just more BORE!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1