Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Blind Date

Athena
  • Start Topic

IMDb et al. simply describe 1.6 “Blind Date” as:

Eve agrees to set both Frasier and Freddy up on blind dates - but when both women are expected on the same evening, father and son start to turn on each other.

But AOL (is that still a thing?) more accurately (if slightly spoilerly) describes:

Spoiler

“Frasier and his son Freddy will have a new thing to fight about this week.
“June Diane Raphael (Grace and Frankie) guest-stars in next Thursday’s episode as June, a friend of Eve’s who has been set up on a blind date with Frasier. Or Freddy. Actually, they can’t figure out which one.”

(aol.com/frasier-sneak-peek-june-diane-140000490.html)

My favorite part may have been when Freddy corrected Frasier’s grammar.

June Diane Raphael was perfectly cast for the role.

• Like 3

The whole idea seemed a bit lecherous.  Eve is young and probably does not know many middle-aged women, but both possibilities are too young for anyone who gets a senior discount.

Edited by nora1992
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, nora1992 said:

The whole idea seemed a bit lecherous.  Eve is young and probably does not know many middle-aged women, but both possibilities are too young for anyone who gets a senior discount.

Eve has a very social job at a bar and she's an actor so she probably has a wider social network than most people. I do agree that it was a bit lecherous. 

The whole plot was reminiscent of classic Frasier including Ski Lodge and the episode with Ronee. Kelsey really makes his lines zing after all these years. It did feel crude because while both women were not young, Frasier's lusting is over the top now. I didn't mind Freddy including the "saboteur" line reading, but not emotionally vested. I also like the grammar correction line.

I really like the apartment and the kitchen is better designed than the tiny one in the old show. I continue to like Alan and Olivia; I think I'm warmed to the actors more. No David this episode and I did not miss him. I continue to miss Niles and the old cast though.

• Like 7
47 minutes ago, Athena said:

Eve has a very social job at a bar and she's an actor so she probably has a wider social network than most people. I do agree that it was a bit lecherous. 

The whole plot was reminiscent of classic Frasier including Ski Lodge and the episode with Ronee. Kelsey really makes his lines zing after all these years. It did feel crude because while both women were not young, Frasier's lusting is over the top now. I didn't mind Freddy including the "saboteur" line reading, but not emotionally vested. I also like the grammar correction line.

I really like the apartment and the kitchen is better designed than the tiny one in the old show. I continue to like Alan and Olivia; I think I'm warmed to the actors more. No David this episode and I did not miss him. I continue to miss Niles and the old cast though.

Agree that Eve is very social, but knowing a lot of people and knowing them well enough to set the potential couples up together are different kinds of knowledge.  I know a lot of people through my work, but would never attempt to match them up.  David’s presence might have shortened the farce set-up, but otherwise, I didn’t miss him either.

I do wish there had been more screen time for Eve’s play.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Agree that Eve is very social, but knowing a lot of people and knowing them well enough to set the potential couples up together are different kinds of knowledge.  I know a lot of people through my work, but would never attempt to match them up. 

This is a universe (or only-in-TV-world) where a woman who just met Lilith and Frasier tried to set them up on a blind date. I can believe Eve knew all the parties involved better than that.

That said, Frasier's leering strut at the end after "Still got it" just made me sad and think he's really too old to be acting like this. He looks so...haggard. To be acting like that as his age...it was verging on creepy old man territory.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

That said, Frasier's leering strut at the end after "Still got it" just made me sad and think he's really too old to be acting like this. He looks so...haggard. To be acting like that as his age...it was verging on creepy old man territory.

"Verging on creepy old man territory"? 
I think Kelsey Grammer is totally leaning into "creepy old man territory."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Hmm.. I thought this was the best episode yet, but apparently I'm the only one.  Lol!  If Frasier is a creepy old man,what was Martin?  He was an old guy with a gunshot wound on a cane who had to have a live in therapist!

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

The thing I liked about this episode is that it was only 23 minutes long.  That kept the B plot tighter. 

I am glad they explained how neither could know even the name of their date but I did think it was a little silly that they couldn't ask her.  That didn't make sense.

There were a few good laughs like the grammar correction line and when the babysitter came over for milk.

56 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

If Frasier is a creepy old man,what was Martin?  He was an old guy with a gunshot wound on a cane who had to have a live in therapist!

It doesn't have to do with age. 

Martin dated and even dated younger women, but he was never shown to treat women as if they were a validation of his ego.  If he was interested in them, it was because he was interested in who they were. 

Frasier regularly looks at women as something to feed his ego, and it has cost him relationships before. That's what happened tonight. Instead of asking himself how he could have treated both women as adults and explained the situation about the date confusion, he tried to hang onto both through deception. He also got smug that both were into him--although I'd argue Date #2 didn't know enough about him to know for sure.  He should have just gone with his original date, and if they didn't click, reach out to Freddy's date. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Hmm.. I thought this was the best episode yet, but apparently I'm the only one.  Lol!  If Frasier is a creepy old man,what was Martin?  He was an old guy with a gunshot wound on a cane who had to have a live in therapist!

I also thought this was the best episode yet.  I'm not quite sure what to make of the "creepy old man" accusations.  Obviously, the Frasier exhibited poor judgment in his enthusiasm over both women.  However, while both of them were attractive, Frasier's attitude towards them seemed to be based not just on that, but on some pretty solid signs of compatible interests with each of them.  

Also, KG is 68 (per imdb), and the actress playing Siobhan apparently is 57, which is not that dramatic an age difference.  I wasn't familiar with the actress playing June, but see that she's listed as 43 years old, which is a more significant difference.  However, I took her to be in her 50s.  (That's not meant as a negative.  She's an attractive woman, but I think that she was styled -- probably intentionally -- in a way that made her seem a bit older to make it plausible that someone would set her up with Frasier.)

• Like 2
10 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I do wish there had been more screen time for Eve’s play.  

Same! I liked the bit we did see. I also laughed at Olivia's response to Alan after Eve sucked them into going to her play. "If I kill you now, I could be in jail by Saturday..." And then Alan being totally on board with that XD.

I got a bit of a nod to "Ski Lodge", too, with Frasier's "Just to be clear, you were both interested in me?" A fun twist on Frasier's memorable ending line in that episode. I also liked the bit with Frasier and Freddie constantly following each other through the kitchen and just missing each other. 

I really liked June, and I thought she and Frasier had a nice little chemistry brewing, so yeah, seeing him blow it like that was a bit frustrating. I would've expected the second woman to be there for Freddie instead. 

For a brief time there, I actually thought they'd reveal that Eve had purposefully gotten June to act like she was interested in both of them, just to get them both to acknowledge their respective issues when it comes to dating. They did indeed do that a bit, just...not the way I thought at first. 

I also think this could've been a really good opportunity to learn more about what happened with Frasier and Charlotte, but I suppose that's still yet to come.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Martin dated and even dated younger women, but he was never shown to treat women as if they were a validation of his ego.  If he was interested in them, it was because he was interested in who they were. 

There were a couple of rare instances including when Martin leered at Daphne's Korean friend but John really leaned into the creepiness for the joke. I was never comfortable with the idea of Martin telling Ronee how cute he found her when she was a teenager. I wasn't a Ronee Martin shipper in general.

Frasier has always had a little tendency to be a little creepy with his dates because of his ego. When this episode started and he was getting along with June and the opera singer, I knew he'd have to spectacularly mess this up somehow. I think Kelsey leans into this but I do think if they keep on this Frasier dating plot, he should get dates closer to his age. Women over 60 do date and look for companionship. I liked the romance between Meryl and Martin Short in "Only Murders" and they are both older than Kelsey Grammar.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Verging on creepy old man territory"? 
I think Kelsey Grammer is totally leaning into "creepy old man territory."

Frasier (and Kelsey Grammer) is rich and famous, so he wouldn't exactly be going outside the box by dating women who are younger.  If all he wants is young arm candy then he shouldn't have any trouble getting it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I love this episode just for the duck boat bumping along in the opening skyline title screen. I giggled a lot and replayed it.

I loved that too and also replayed it a few times. Kinda imagined Brady and Gronk on it 😂

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I am glad they explained how neither could know even the name of their date but I did think it was a little silly that they couldn't ask her.  That didn't make sense.

They decided to call Eve at one point and tell her that June was there, but they were not sure which of them June was there to date. They didn't get through because Eve's phone was off or on silent mode because it was in the middle of the play.

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Frasier regularly looks at women as something to feed his ego, and it has cost him relationships before. That's what happened tonight. Instead of asking himself how he could have treated both women as adults and explained the situation about the date confusion, he tried to hang onto both through deception. He also got smug that both were into him--although I'd argue Date #2 didn't know enough about him to know for sure.  He should have just gone with his original date, and if they didn't click, reach out to Freddy's date. 

This is absolutely one of the most brilliant and insightful comments I have read about a television show on these boards. Frasier looks to women to validate himself and boost his ego. Martin treated women as people. Martin looked to women for romance and companionship. 

5 hours ago, paigow said:

Frasier finds himself on the short list for Golden Bachelor but loses to...

• Sam
  • Cliff
  • ???

Norm or Woody if they are (very sadly) widowers. If I can a list a character from Frasier, Cam Winston would be the ultimate insult to injury and make Frasier the most upset. 

1 hour ago, baldryanr said:

Frasier (and Kelsey Grammer) is rich and famous, so he wouldn't exactly be going outside the box by dating women who are younger.  If all he wants is young arm candy then he shouldn't have any trouble getting it.

I don't think he wants pure arm candy. Frasier wants love, romance, and a real relationship, but he also wants that with someone young and gorgeous who will give his ego a boost. 

So far, this was my favorite episode of the reboot series. Much as it pains me to write this, maybe the series is better off without David as a regular character. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

So far, this was my favorite episode of the reboot series.

I didn't like it.  Frasier hasn't grown at all, still wants to date women he dated 20 years ago and is so immature.  Plus I really disliked his ageist reaction to the babysitter and the way he abusively manhandled her imo.  I would much rather have seen him still be happily and healthily married.  I also buy his mannerisms etc in the original but even though they are very similar here I just don't buy it anymore, feels fake to me.  Can't put my finger on what the difference is for me though.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Hmm.. I thought this was the best episode yet, but apparently I'm the only one.  Lol!  

4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

So far, this was my favorite episode of the reboot series. 

I'm at this table. I've actually enjoyed every episode, but this one for sure got the most laughs from me.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Frasier hasn't grown at all, still wants to date women he dated 20 years ago and is so immature.

I'm along for the ride, even if I agree it worked better in the original series. 

I do think the show wants to have it both ways sometimes.  I think Frasier being not all that different from who he was 20 years ago would make a lot more sense if he had followed Charlotte to Chicago, gotten a TV show and then had his relationship with Charlotte fall apart.  Then he wouldn't have the person for whom he left his home base nor would he have any family/friends he had developed over the years but he'd be stuck in the city because of his show. 

His statement about searching for a place where he belonged would make more sense if he didn't develop a friends group there (because, let's face it, he absolutely had a place in Seattle.) And his immaturity around women and relationships would make sense if it had taken a leap and it still didn't work.

But that relationship supposedly lasted 20 years.  That's not forever but it's also nothing to sneeze at.  It's the kind of relationship I have a hard time thinking this guy could have maintained.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But that relationship supposedly lasted 20 years.  That's not forever but it's also nothing to sneeze at.  It's the kind of relationship I have a hard time thinking this guy could have maintained.

Maybe this is how Frasier is when he’s single? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/10/2023 at 5:24 PM, Nozycat said:

I didn't like it.  Frasier hasn't grown at all, still wants to date women he dated 20 years ago and is so immature.  Plus I really disliked his ageist reaction to the babysitter and the way he abusively manhandled her imo.  I would much rather have seen him still be happily and healthily married.  I also buy his mannerisms etc in the original but even though they are very similar here I just don't buy it anymore, feels fake to me.  Can't put my finger on what the difference is for me though.

In Night Court (also not a great revival overall) they made the wise choice of having Dan's character mature and no longer treat women the way he did in the original show (of course in 2023, I don't think you could have a character like the original Dan Fielding - there's a cult favorite called Allo Allo and in discussing the revival they just couldn't keep many of the original characters).  I like what they did with Dan's character (he's a strong actor and if they'd done a better job of casting the rest of the show, it could be a really good show).  I think Fraiser's character would benefit from some maturity, and it is a shame more of the original characters didn't join the show.  Fraiser did a better job of casting than Night court, as I like Eve, Freddy and Allan but the writing isn't strong yet and you really feel the loss of the original characters.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Camera One said:

I actually laughed in this episode, which is a welcomed change from the previous ones.  But I agree the two women were a bit too young and Frasier's ego at the end was more cringey than funny.

I keep seeing this kind of comment, but per IMDB, Grammer is 68.  The actress playing Siobhan (Jacqueline Obradors) doesn't include her age on IMDB, but a quick search suggests that she's 57.  That's not much of an age difference, particularly at that point in life.  

June Diane Raphael is only 43, which is a more notable difference, but the idea was to make her a plausible match for either Crane, so they had to cast someone a little younger for this role.  Frankly, without looking up her age, I took her for someone in her early 50s.  That's not an insult -- I'm also in my 50s -- but she didn't strike me as someone weirdly young for Grammer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Part of the fun in the original Frasier was that he was a psychiatrist with absolutely no self awareness.  With the supposed success with his show in Chicago, I wouldn't expect that he would have changed.  It's who he is!

• Like 5

I agree I also think Frasiers desperation to meet someone has always been funny. Case in Point with this episode it’s not as though he ever wins out in the situation. 

This was also a good episode for Cutmore who for me has been with David one of the weaker cries/characters. 

• Like 2
On 11/10/2023 at 5:24 PM, Nozycat said:

Thank you, I thought it was just me.  I don't necessarily need to see Frasier married, but as @Irlandesa said, you'd think a man that had been married for 20 years before this would have grown some and not still be his own worst enemy with women, but after divorcing from Lilith he didn't seem to grow much either so I suppose he succeeds in spite of himself.  I would rather see him show more maturity but still wind up sticking his foot in his mouth anyway.  

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

June Diane Raphael is only 43, which is a more notable difference, but the idea was to make her a plausible match for either Crane, so they had to cast someone a little younger for this role.  Frankly, without looking up her age, I took her for someone in her early 50s.  That's not an insult -- I'm also in my 50s -- but she didn't strike me as someone weirdly young for Grammer.

Perhaps it's because I know June Diane Raphael as Grace's daughter in "Grace and Frankie" but I'd never take her for someone in her early '50s.  And I'm someone that looked young for my age when I was in my early '50s.  I also didn't think she looked much older than when she was on that show either.

And I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I'm not so accepting of a man that age going for a woman that much younger than him.  Even if it were more like 20 years I am not on board with it.  It may be typical of a man like Frasier who is motivated to boost his ego with a younger woman but the show itself doesn't have to put forth that older man/younger woman trope at all when meanwhile it would likely never show the reverse situation or make a woman who "robs the cradle" look like some sort of "cougar" or wacko.  Just the fact that Kelsey is that much older than June in real life is creepy enough for me.   And the way he treated the older babysitter was to me just not funny AT ALL, in fact it rubbed me the wrong way.  I'm not just willing to say, "Oh that Frasier, he's a farce".  I'm like, "Oh, he's a total asshole!"  We used to find him endearing even with all his snobbery and faults but how can I forgive this?  This cut too close to home.  Usually original show Frasier would insult people we would never feel we were in the same group with.  But there are better ways to handle it even if done this way.  For example, when Sheldon Cooper would make racist comments we knew he was clueless so it was funny.  It was clear that he was ridiculous and wrong but we could still love and forgive him anyway.  Not so much here.   There's no way I'm going to be able to dismiss or forgive it.  There was no redeeming it and it just wasn't funny.

The show has just about insulted older women 3 times over in this episode.  With all the political correctness on TV shows these days I expect more, but I guess ageism and the older man/younger female combination are two of the last socially acceptable biases.  I personally refuse to make excuses for it or try to legitimize it in any way.  I personally would like society to move beyond accepting this kind of thing.  Sure, age shouldn't matter in a relationship, but in this case he's obviously not motivated by the best of reasons.

And I'm still not feeling the chemistry between him and the new Freddy either.  I think part of the problem stems from that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, dshgr said:

Part of the fun in the original Frasier was that he was a psychiatrist with absolutely no self awareness.  With the supposed success with his show in Chicago, I wouldn't expect that he would have changed.  It's who he is!

It's not that I have a hard time believe he hadn't changed.  It's that I see it as an either/or but not both situation with Charlotte.

Either he never changed OR he had a successful 20 relationship with Charlotte but not both of them happening at the same time.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not that I have a hard time believe he hadn't changed.  It's that I see it as an either/or but not both situation with Charlotte.

Either he never changed OR he had a successful 20 relationship with Charlotte but not both of them happening at the same time.

How about Frasier worked at becoming self-aware during his 20-year marriage, but he never really achieved any significant change, which is what brought about the end of the marriage?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

How about Frasier worked at becoming self-aware during his 20-year marriage, but he never really achieved any significant change, which is what brought about the end of the marriage?

That depends on what significant change you're talking about.  Original Frasier at least dated women closer to his own age and both his marriages were with women closer to his own age than June.  So from my point of view today's Frasier has actually changed for the worse.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That depends on what significant change you're talking about.  Original Frasier at least dated women closer to his own age and both his marriages were with women closer to his own age than June.  So from my point of view today's Frasier has actually changed for the worse.

Or maybe the writers will give Frasier a brief monologue of introspection that reveals he was just imagining himself with a much younger woman due to some sort of Freudian or Jungian desire to go back to the moment before he married Charlotte 20 years ago? 

Or not.

🤔
Seeing Frasier hoping to date a much younger woman would have come across very differently if we’d already seen him with a woman his age.

+++++++++++++++++

The babysitter from across the hall (Ida) strongly resembles me in terms of phenotype and style, and I mostly loved Freddy’s one-word line…

• [FRASIER] I mean, for God's sake, she's old enough to be my...
  • [FREDDY] Sister?

…both for the humor and for the hope it gives for Gen X-Y-Z-∞ men. 
My feminist, 30-something SIL would have said “Sister?” too.
But I can see how others might interpret it negatively.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It may be typical of a man like Frasier who is motivated to boost his ego with a younger woman but the show itself doesn't have to put forth that older man/younger woman trope at all when meanwhile it would likely never show the reverse situation or make a woman who "robs the cradle" look like some sort of "cougar" or wacko. 

How old was June supposed to be and what is the age difference between June and Freddie? Depending on the age difference, she is old enough to be a "cougar," but I think you have a point. The idea of Frasier being with her is clearly presented as an older man trying recapture lost youth with a younger woman, or prove that he is still desirable to a younger woman. However, there was none of that type of dynamic in reverse with Freddie and June. The age difference was a non-issue. I'm not sure why. 

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

How old was June supposed to be and what is the age difference between June and Freddie? Depending on the age difference, she is old enough to be a "cougar," but I think you have a point. The idea of Frasier being with her is clearly presented as an older man trying recapture lost youth with a younger woman, or prove that he is still desirable to a younger woman. However, there was none of that type of dynamic in reverse with Freddie and June. The age difference was a non-issue. I'm not sure why. 

In real life, June is 43 while Freddie is 36, so that's not too far off.  I'm not sure how old Freddie is supposed to be on the show.

There's also a bigger age difference between Freddie and Olivia (head of dept) than Freddie and June, and I find the crush she has on Freddie to be rather cringey and unfunny.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Perhaps it's because I know June Diane Raphael as Grace's daughter in "Grace and Frankie" but I'd never take her for someone in her early '50s.  And I'm someone that looked young for my age when I was in my early '50s.  I also didn't think she looked much older than when she was on that show either.

I too thought she looked late 40s, early 50s -- she looked to me to be about the age of a few Real Housewives I'm thinking of and my friends, which is early 50s (though my friends and I are less glammy and more "aging grunge kid").

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
On 11/9/2023 at 11:41 PM, Gatsby said:

I also thought this was the best episode yet.  I'm not quite sure what to make of the "creepy old man" accusations.  Obviously, the Frasier exhibited poor judgment in his enthusiasm over both women.  However, while both of them were attractive, Frasier's attitude towards them seemed to be based not just on that, but on some pretty solid signs of compatible interests with each of them.  

Also, KG is 68 (per imdb), and the actress playing Siobhan apparently is 57, which is not that dramatic an age difference.  I wasn't familiar with the actress playing June, but see that she's listed as 43 years old, which is a more significant difference.  However, I took her to be in her 50s.  (That's not meant as a negative.  She's an attractive woman, but I think that she was styled -- probably intentionally -- in a way that made her seem a bit older to make it plausible that someone would set her up with Frasier.)

I actually love the fact that Freddie was more than willing to date an “older” woman. More of this, please. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Camera One said:

In real life, June is 43 while Freddie is 36, so that's not too far off.  I'm not sure how old Freddie is supposed to be on the show.

There's also a bigger age difference between Freddie and Olivia (head of dept) than Freddie and June, and I find the crush she has on Freddie to be rather cringey and unfunny.

In that case, Freddie and June dating would not make anyone look or think twice about the relationship. It's totally appropriate. 

Part of the reason the crush Olivia has on Freddie is cringey and unfunny is that she is not attracted to him as a person. He's a hot firefighter. It's seeing him as more of an object than an actual person she is attracted to and would like to have a relationship with. 

• Like 1

Really funny episode and I think the best one so far. A lot of funny dialogue (I laughed put loud several times) and it reminded me of some of classic "mistaken sexual identity" from the original series (although definitely not as good of course). Agreed that Frasier had chemistry with both women but in typical Frasier fashion, he managed to blow it. It's funny to see although I agree that Frasier should have evolved on this at some point, especially as he had a long relationship with Laura Linney's character. Enjoyed the B plot woth Alan and Olivia going to Eve's play...I wouldn't have minded more of that. I did not miss David at all.

Kelsey Grammer must have problems with his feet as he always hobbling when he walks. It was noticeable in episode 1 and has become more noticeable every week. This one most of all.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Re: Frasier being married to Charlotte:

Are we sure they got married? In this episode, they sad he'd been married twice. I assumed they were referring to "Nanny G" and Lilith.

Anyway, I thought this episode was hilarious. It was the first episode of the revival that made me laugh the same way that the original series did.

The resolution was weak, though. All Frasier had to do was explain to the opera singer that he didn't know the name of the woman he was meeting, so he thought June was his date.

Maybe that was supposed to be the joke - that Frasier had been boasting about how good he is at juggling these situations, and then he handled the confrontation as stupidly as possible - but that didn't come across.

• Like 1