Type keyword(s) to search

Special Forces: World's Toughest Test - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Special Forces: World's Toughest Test is an American reality quasi-military training television series that premiered on Fox on January 4, 2023. It is an adaptation of the British reality series SAS: Who Dares Wins.

I couldn't find a thread for this so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I didn't watch season 1 but figured I'd give season 2 a shot since pretty much nothing else is on.

Overall it was ok.  Something to kill time I guess.  I did find it funny that whenever someone fell off the rails, "Staff" would ask them where they were going.

I don't see Tara Reid making it very far in this and was surprised she even made it through the first episode.  She even got caught trying to smuggle cigarettes in.  I guess that explains why her voice is so different than I remember.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

I watched Season 1 and watched last night. The whole premise is to find out who is the toughest not physically, but mentally. The Staff do and say a lot of things to try to humiliate them. I'm surprised they didn't rip JoJo a new one for goofing around on the ladder. Last season someone did a backflip into the water on one of their tests and he got immediate failed on that test for showing off.

I thought it was a pretty interesting show last season. They certainly didn't appear to coddle the celebrities like they do on other "survival" shows. I can't remember the name of the other show they dumped some celebs into the jungle and they had to do tasks and tests. A lot of them quit for various reasons, mainly physical injuries.

[eta: on that other celeb/jungle show, they tried to make it sound like conditions were so rough with bugs and such but you could see in one of their bags a huge spray can of bug repellant. I don't think they meant to show that.]

Edited by Lurk
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1

Their boots had no grip whatsoever! They hit the rails so hard. I wonder if they’ll show us the bruises.

I wouldn’t have been able to do what they had to do, even if I weren’t carrying a boulder.

I like that the staff is very tough and heartless when they are all together. But one-on-one, they’re softies. I liked their compassion for Tara Reid. I felt for her, too. Even though, initially, I thought, “She looks older than I, and I’m almost 60.”

• Like 11

We could not believe how terrible Tara Reid looked.

It seems much the same as last season, right down to the Staff having zero patience for anyone flaunting their egos.

Methinks Brian Austin Green, Blak Chyna (sp?) and Reid will be the first to go: the first two for their attitudes and Reid because she's such a hot mess who gives up on everything before even trying.

• Like 7

I ended up really liking this show last season and cheering a lot for the last two ladies even though I didn't know who they were originally.  I'm hoping this cast is as engaging as last.

I was surprised that Dez Bryant - being a pro athlete - was the one throwing up after the rock-carrying obstacle course.  I give so much respect to Tara Reid for doing that course!  But the cigarettes were so stupid.  lol

• Like 11
3 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

I ended up really liking this show last season and cheering a lot for the last two ladies even though I didn't know who they were originally.  I'm hoping this cast is as engaging as last.

I was surprised that Dez Bryant - being a pro athlete - was the one throwing up after the rock-carrying obstacle course.  I give so much respect to Tara Reid for doing that course!  But the cigarettes were so stupid.  lol

What I thought was odd about the cigarettes, where did um..... the Spice Girl last season get cigarettes. I think I saw her smoking.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, Lurk said:

What I thought was odd about the cigarettes, where did um..... the Spice Girl last season get cigarettes. I think I saw her smoking.

Oh, that's right!  Probably in the same way Tara did.  If Tara hadn't talked about it on camera, she wouldn't have been caught until she smoked one. 

• Like 3
On 9/27/2023 at 1:51 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Their boots had no grip whatsoever! They hit the rails so hard. I wonder if they’ll show us the bruises.

I wouldn’t have been able to do what they had to do, even if I weren’t carrying a boulder.

I like that the staff is very tough and heartless when they are all together. But one-on-one, they’re softies. I liked their compassion for Tara Reid. I felt for her, too. Even though, initially, I thought, “She looks older than I, and I’m almost 60.”

I also need thicker skin so I could identify with Tara.  Maybe it just gets worse when you get older 

• Like 3

I am so ready for Siwa to go.  I've only seen her on a couple things but she's annoying.  Otherwise, I hope her talk with Staff will sink in and she'll settle down and stop being cute.

I'm hoping BAG hurries up and goes also.  I don't know what his deal is with Black Chyna but not everyone finds his sense of humor amusing.

I'll be surprised if Tara Reid makes it far but I'd like to see her try but yes, the cigarettes were a dumb idea.

Not sure what to make of Jack Osborne either.

• Like 4

Tara is something else.  Lol.  As a whole this group is not as serious as the first season contestants.  There is a lot of back talk and joking that probably won’t serve them well over time.

• Like 7

I watched last season as well.  (Kate Gosselin quit on the first episode.)

I know everyone has to be treated equally, but I sort of agree with Tara that her carrying a heavy backpack is not the same as a 200 lb man carrying that same backpack.  Tara looks like she barely weighs 100 lbs, so she may be carrying half her weight while a tall fit guy may be carrying a quarter of his weight.

• Like 11

Wow.  As a Dallas fan, I did not really see Dez quitting although the impulsive temper didn't surprise me.  For a second I thought they might let him stay but glad they upheld the rules.  

Not at all surprised by Tara and Angela quitting.  I kind of agree with Tara about the pack too. 

The Chrisley girl throwing up was crazy gross.  I'm impressed that she stayed with it and then volunteered to go again!  Vomit is the worst.  

Edited by JenMcSnark
Added a thought about Chrisley
  • Like 8
5 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

Wow.  As a Dallas fan, I did not really see Dez quitting although the impulsive temper didn't surprise me.  For a second I thought they might let him stay but glad they upheld the rules.  

Not at all surprised by Tara and Angela quitting.  I kind of agree with Tara about the pack too. 

The Chrisley girl throwing up was crazy gross.  I'm impressed that she stayed with it and then volunteered to go again!  Vomit is the worst.  

I agree about the pack but she also did no prep for this and had to know there were some fitness aspects to the show.  But yes the pack would differ for each contestant.

• Like 5

I can see how an exception might be made for smaller participants re: the packs but I also tend to side eye folks who had to have known about the prior season of this show and showed up either not prepared or just went into it fully in denial about what it would entail from them physically.

That being said, wasn't surprised about Tara or Angela leaving.  And I can see why Dez wasn't allowed to return.  Being insubordinate wouldn't fly in the military no matter if you apologized or not.

• Like 7

I have to agree with Tara on the pack size/weight being disproportionate to the size/weight of the contestant. I get that it's likely that way in the actual military but it just reinforces the tell us you don't want female Special Forces without actually saying it

This is a TV show so they could easily change that rule to be more fair/equitable, just like all the other rules they're bending to make this "selection" more suspenseful (like the bags over their heads and interrogation lighting).

There are always going to be celebrities that sign up for these shows simply for the appearance fee. Tara likely knew she wouldn't be able to cut it physically but needed the money and the show wanted her name on the cast list, quid pro quo. I was actually surprised that she hung in as long as she did.

Edited by snarts
  • Like 3
On 10/3/2023 at 11:08 AM, snarts said:

I have to agree with Tara on the pack size/weight being disproportionate to the size/weight of the contestant.

I totally agree as well.  And to claim it's fair because they all have the same weight is disingenuous, IMHO.  It could be a percentage of their body weight and still be very challenging.  It's not like any of these contestants are really going to join the special forces.  I felt sorry for her.

Was it Dez who talked about having a father in hospice, and a son turning 13 while he was on the show?  Seems like a time to say "Now is just a not a good time for me to do this show".

• Like 4
1 hour ago, lh25 said:

I totally agree as well.  And to claim it's fair because they all have the same weight is disingenuous, IMHO.  It could be a percentage of their body weight and still be very challenging.  It's not like any of these contestants are really going to join the special forces.  I felt sorry for her.

Was it Dez who talked about having a father in hospice, and a son turning 13 while he was on the show?  Seems like a time to say "Now is just a not a good time for me to do this show".

It was Dez's son's birthday but Robert Horry (another favorite athlete of mine) whose father is on hospice.  

• Useful 3

I really enjoy seeing all these normally well-dressed, coiffed and filtered celebs looking like absolute crap. Stars, they're just like us!

BAG is such a trash human being. Kind of annoyed that he's getting the better edit over Angela, who has seemed to make some serious changes in her life. As one of my favorite movies says: I guess in this society being male and an asshole makes you worthy of our time.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

According to something I read on another site, Dez pooped his pants on the second trip and that was why he was so angry and mouthy. (Info from Nick Viall’s pidcast.)

Wow, if true (which it probably is), it explains a lot.  What a shitty situation - pun fully intended!

• Like 2
On 10/3/2023 at 6:01 AM, alexa said:

I agree about the pack but she also did no prep for this and had to know there were some fitness aspects to the show.  But yes the pack would differ for each contestant.

That’s what I didn’t get — how can you go into a grueling physical competition without athletic training ahead of time? Survivor contestants know how to make fire, Amazing Racers know how to drive a stick shift, Drag Race contestants have a couple celebrity impersonations in their repertoire for Snatch Game. You can’t go into this cold. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 10/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, snarts said:

I get that it's likely that way in the actual military but it just reinforces the tell us you don't want female Special Forces without actually saying it

Yet it was (only) two women who completed the whole training in the first season, and both were "accepted".

• Like 3
On 10/6/2023 at 3:59 PM, JenMcSnark said:

It was Dez's son's birthday but Robert Horry (another favorite athlete of mine) whose father is on hospice.  

Thanks!  I was 1/2 watching, mostly listening and missed that.

• Like 2
On 10/3/2023 at 11:08 AM, snarts said:

I have to agree with Tara on the pack size/weight being disproportionate to the size/weight of the contestant. I get that it's likely that way in the actual military but it just reinforces the tell us you don't want female Special Forces without actually saying it

This is a TV show so they could easily change that rule to be more fair/equitable, just like all the other rules they're bending to make this "selection" more suspenseful (like the bags over their heads and interrogation lighting).

So you and some others want females to join the special forces and to be allowed to not carry what may be life saving equipment because it might be too heavy? 

If the rules are to be changed because it's a tv show then it needs to also have a name change to "Not Really Special Forces Equivalent But Close Enough For Tv" or something as absurd.

The only thing it suggests to me is that everyone is being treated equally no matter what sex they are. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

So you and some others want females to join the special forces and to be allowed to not carry what may be life saving equipment because it might be too heavy? 

If the rules are to be changed because it's a tv show then it needs to also have a name change to "Not Really Special Forces Equivalent But Close Enough For Tv" or something as absurd.

The only thing it suggests to me is that everyone is being treated equally no matter what sex they are. 

Of course not.  And yes, it's a TV show.  I suspect that what they are going through is not exactly like Special Forces training now.  And they could adjust the pack weights based on body weight no matter what gender the participant is.  I suspect many of them couldn't pass the initial testing to join the Special Forces.  From what I find for the US at least, you have to be 18-34 years old.  Which would eliminate some of them.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

So two more leave before even doing the next task, and that particular one wasn’t even that bad.  There are some that really are quiet and get the job done though.  Nick Viall, for example.  

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Shrek said:

It's a TV show!. Do you really believe the rules mirror a actual Special Forces selection? As @lh25 pointed out, they've already deviated significantly on the age range and athletic/physical requirements. 

Interesting how BAG just woke up and was like, I want to go home. Then Robert was like, me too! Savannah wanted to go then, thought about it all day and seeing the next test, said it's time. Dropping like flies. 

Shocked and impressed a bit by Jack Osborne. I didn't realize he'd been diagnosed with MS.

The tests themselves seem easier physically than the running, hiking, exercising in boots carrying that pack. Has the military investigated new fabrics that are lighter, stretchier, moisture wicking, etc. :)

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, snarts said:

It's a TV show!. Do you really believe the rules mirror a actual Special Forces selection? As @lh25 pointed out, they've already deviated significantly on the age range and athletic/physical requirements. 

No I don't but I do think it should mirror it in some aspects if they are going to use it in the title & everyone being treated equally should be the minimum to expect on a show like this. 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, snarts said:

Ironic, as someone above pointed out, two women made it all the way to the end after everyone else either bailed or were medically disqualified.

• Like 1

I didn't know about Jack Osborne's MS either and I'm glad he explained because he was working my nerves.  I was fine with BAG going and wasn't necessarily surprised about Horry leaving.  Chrisley going wasn't shocking either after her meeting with Staff but she does seem to be getting some mileage out of it.

I don't know how many passed the diving challenge but I was glad to see they didn't lose anymore folks after that.  Maybe we'll be able to focus on some of the other contestants now.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I didn't know about Jack Osborne's MS either and I'm glad he explained because he was working my nerves.  I was fine with BAG going and wasn't necessarily surprised about Horry leaving.  Chrisley going wasn't shocking either after her meeting with Staff but she does seem to be getting some mileage out of it.

I don't know how many passed the diving challenge but I was glad to see they didn't lose anymore folks after that.  Maybe we'll be able to focus on some of the other contestants now.

2/5 men and 3/4 women passed the driving.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I have sympathy for Jack Osborne having MS, but wow, I have to agree with the head guy--he is annoying.  Always bragging about himself.

Yeah, every episode he's going on about something.  It's very annoying.

I'm actually pretty surprised with JoJo.  She seems to be hanging in there fairly well.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Yeah, every episode he's going on about something.  It's very annoying.

I'm actually pretty surprised with JoJo.  She seems to be hanging in there fairly well.

Yeah…she was a bit annoying in the first episode then she seemed to learn from the critique and is fairly low key.  Also Nick and Tyler are low key as well.   In fact, other than Jack and Tom, who at least seems to be doing some soul searching, I like the remaining contestants.   

I also respect all the contestants for going on a show with no prize money. 

• Like 3

Yes, Jack is still being his annoying self and Tom is wallowing in the pity.  Otherwise, yes, everyone else seems okay.

3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Agree because the did start off either not taking it seriously or whatever but she definitely seems to have settled down.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Agree because the did start off either not taking it seriously or whatever but she definitely seems to have settled down.

In the first episode, she mentioned how she grew up pretty sheltered.  When she was on Dancing with the Stars, she had to go to a red carpet event and wanted to dress as a grown up…it was her DWTS partner Jenna who took her shopping and offered guidance.   

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 10/17/2023 at 10:27 AM, DEL901 said:

I also respect all the contestants for going on a show with no prize money. 

Is this a fact? If I'm risking my body and pride, it will be for some kind of compensation. That's why I figured Tara Reid went on. Why in tarnation would anyone agree to do it for free?

Maybe there's no prize money, but surely some kind of appearance fee, right?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Maybe there's no prize money, but surely some kind of appearance fee, right?

I would think so.  Some of these people are B-, C-, and D-list celebs.  They probably need the money.  I'm guessing they get paid more if they're on the show longer.  That's what Dancing with the Stars does.  According to parade.com,

"The starting salary for (DWTS) celebrities is $125,000, which includes training for at least 20 hours per week, including several weeks prior to the premiere of the season. For stars who make it to weeks three and four, there is an added bonus amount of $10,000 per week. If they make it to week five, the additional pay is $15,000, weeks six and seven add $20,000 per week, and then weeks eight and nine see $30,000 deposited in their bank account. And if they are lucky enough to make the semi-finals and the finale, there is an additional $50,000 prize money each week, plus the winner gets the Mirror Ball trophy. Added up, in an 11-week season, the stars who make it to finale have the potential to walk away with $360,000."

Of course, Special Forces probably doesn't have the budget of Dancing with the Stars, but the contestants may be paid in a similar fashion--just on a smaller scale.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I would think so.  Some of these people are B-, C-, and D-list celebs.  They probably need the money.  I'm guessing they get paid more if they're on the show longer.  That's what Dancing with the Stars does.  According to parade.com,

Of course, Special Forces probably doesn't have the budget of Dancing with the Stars, but the contestants may be paid in a similar fashion--just on a smaller scale.

Mystery solved - I listened to Nick Viall's podcast and he said they get a hefty appearance fee at the beginning, so the length of their time there is based only on how long they want to stay. Well, THAT changes things for me. I applaud Tara for getting her money and getting out ASAP.

• Useful 4

I did some Googling the other day to see what they may be paid for this show. I found some article that said $100000-$500000 to appar on the show depending on their celebrity status. It was only that one article so I don't know the validity of that claim. But any time I see celebrities on competition shows or game shows or whatnot, I'm betting they're just trying to get some quick $$$ and some public exposure to keep themselves relevant.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
6 hours ago, Lurk said:

I did some Googling the other day to see what they may be paid for this show. I found some article that said $100000-$500000 to appar on the show depending on their celebrity status. It was only that one article so I don't know the validity of that claim. But any time I see celebrities on competition shows or game shows or whatnot, I'm betting they're just trying to get some quick $$$ and some public exposure to keep themselves relevant.

Good sleuthing.  

But I will say this show is a much harder way to be in the public eye than most reality shows.  

• Like 5
On 10/21/2023 at 6:01 AM, DEL901 said:

Good sleuthing.  

But I will say this show is a much harder way to be in the public eye than most reality shows.  

Keeping your name/brand out there in the public eye is important to celebrities. About 20 years ago, there was a kind of game you could play on the Internet that used Celebrities "Q scores". I didn't play it and I couldn't find anything about it now. You would choose your fantasy team of celebrities and then if you had the highest total Q scores you would win. Q scores measure a celebrities "clout" or importance, popularity, etc. 

• Like 1

Billie is really eating up his role as head DS. In the UK version, they made Rudy head DS so I wonder why they went with Billie in the US. I guess Foxy has just never been mean enough to get the gig! 😘

I still kind of miss Ant from the original, but I see Ant is heading up the AU version now, which also includes Ollie, who was my favorite DS of all. This show must be a real money maker with all the different versions going on year-round. I tend to enjoy the non-celebrity one best, but I do like the snowy change up as I was getting sick of the desert! 

Is Tom Sandoval the one who was married to the woman who is currently on Dancing With the Stars? I don't know either of them, or who did what to whom, but I guess that is one way to make the most of one's divorce! 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/22/2023 at 6:17 AM, Lurk said:

Keeping your name/brand out there in the public eye is important to celebrities. About 20 years ago, there was a kind of game you could play on the Internet that used Celebrities "Q scores". I didn't play it and I couldn't find anything about it now. You would choose your fantasy team of celebrities and then if you had the highest total Q scores you would win. Q scores measure a celebrities "clout" or importance, popularity, etc. 

Some of these celebrities probably don't stand to get much from keeping their names in the public eye.  Seems like the younger "Bachelor/Bachelorette" type celebs may benefit for more reality gigs and influencer-type stuff but what is Tara Reid going to get?  Even relative well-known athletes like Robert Horry and Dez Bryant aren't really going to have doors open up to them in my opinion.

I think there's a good chance that the money plus the challenge are a motive for most. 

On 10/23/2023 at 8:44 AM, TVbitch said:

Billie is really eating up his role as head DS. In the UK version, they made Rudy head DS so I wonder why they went with Billie in the US. I guess Foxy has just never been mean enough to get the gig! 😘

I still kind of miss Ant from the original, but I see Ant is heading up the AU version now, which also includes Ollie, who was my favorite DS of all. This show must be a real money maker with all the different versions going on year-round. I tend to enjoy the non-celebrity one best, but I do like the snowy change up as I was getting sick of the desert! 

Is Tom Sandoval the one who was married to the woman who is currently on Dancing With the Stars? I don't know either of them, or who did what to whom, but I guess that is one way to make the most of one's divorce! 

I think so.  I wasn't sure if they were married or just boyfriend/girlfriend but either way he cheated on her and became reviled.  He's such a baby about it though.  I can't stand him.  lol

Edited by JenMcSnark
Added a thought.
  • Thanks 1

I was shocked to realize they were just finishing day 5 when the episode started.  This means 7 contestants couldn’t even last barely half a week.  I wonder how long the shoot is.  10-14 days tops is my guess.   

I think the 7 left are hardcore. I think Jack may be the next to quit, and based on the previews, Sandoval could be kicked out if he doesn’t get himself under control.  And JoJo continues to surprise…when Nick was too gassed out to continue, she carried Sandoval the rest of the way.  

• Like 5

I’m not liking this as much as I did last year. The special forces guys seem to actively hate the participants this time around and it’s not fun to watch. It also bugs me to see people called all kinds of names for not being able to do something they were never trained to do. Even the special forces guys had to start somewhere; I just don’t believe they were perfect from day one.

• Like 7

Agree that Jack is probably the next go and was also surprised by JoJo.

Not surprised only two completed that first challenge either.

I can sort of believe the special forces guys talk lots of smack.  I've know folks who went to basic boot camp or even mini boot camps in HS (JROTC).  The special forces folks tend to be a bit "special" and aren't necessarily about being dainty and polite based on what they are trained and expected to do separate from regular military forces.

• Like 2