Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: An Eruption of Volcanic Proportions

• Start Topic

Is there some maritime law barring Aesha from handling laundry & cabins for the last charter, thus allowing both Jaimee & Margot to be on service? 

Alternatively, she could've let Margot lead service at breakfast/lunch without changing the schedule.

IMHO, Margot doesn't deserve special consideration, especially after drinking on the job the last time, if it comes at the expense of someone else's experience/comfort.

• Like 8

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm on Joao's side here? Why is "cheffy" being hot and cold. Just weird. Oh well..

My second thot is....is there not a real steamer besides the one on the freaking iron???? I'm confused on this as well!! Lol!

• Like 16

Like an argumentative crew turning on itself, these comments are in the order of the episode scenes broadcast…

Culver:  “There’s a lot you don’t see.”  Yeah, mate, but there’s a lot we *do* see.  And what we see of you isn’t often complimentary.

So much to unpack in the first few moments of this episode.  Harry expresses his opinion regarding Margot, but he’s not privy to the experience and pecking order of the interior.  J-wow correctly points out that Culver was not cut out to be lead deckhand while Culver attempts to deflect and maintain how great he is.  Aesha tries to comfort Jaimee but Aesha is the one who made the decision to supplant Margot with Jaimee on service for the last charter.  This alone is fodder for an entire episode.  What an unhappy ship for a final charter.

What we see of the “date dinner” with J-wow and Tzarina is interesting.  This season J-wow has shown himself to be a very different person to what he was in previous seasons.  Tzarina has every right to be cautious based on what others have told about him.  There’s a lot of baggage there.  Have to admit, though, I’m on team J-wow at this moment.

Once again, when the bill arrives, Culver becomes an astronomer – looking at the sky, etc., everywhere but at the cheque.

So… given a choice between a guest cabin and the bilge, where does Culver take Jaimee?  Yeah.  Go Culver.

So our next charter guests are “Cannabis Executives”?  Drug dealers.  Great.

How many times are we going to see a guest’s bit of clothing melted?  This isn’t the first.

Why is it every anchor drop we see lately is slow and sedate, while the one that happened to Adam was at 78rpm by comparison (those under 50 years old probably won’t get that reference).

Tzarina, about J-wow:  “He’s different around me now.”  Yeah, you called him a fake.  It hurt him.  Cappice?

Margot, doing the job of an upmarket stew, put out wine glasses without an order from Aesha.  Maybe we can get along with “lesser” stews after all, eh?

Jason is pushing the chef to do something she doesn’t want to do.  Chef is pushing back.  When it comes to food, you have to trust the chef.  Sail your own waters, Cap.

What will happen on the season finale next week?  Will the crew part friends?  Will J-wow return to his previous ways?  Will the Kaiju-maru survive another docking?  Will the entire season end up as the damp squib it has been so far?  Stay tuned, and prepare to be disappointed.  Again.

• Like 13
10 hours ago, SHERMDOG said:

My second thot is....is there not a real steamer besides the one on the freaking iron???? I'm confused on this as well!! Lol!

Thank you! I don't know how many incarnations of this show I've watched where an iron is being used to steam clothes, and it's made me crazy every time. I can't believe a luxury yacht wouldn't have a steamer. Heck, if I were working the laundry, I'd buy a steamer at the first port we reached. They're not that expensive. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Tzarina has every right to be cautious based on what others have told about him.  There’s a lot of baggage there.  Have to admit, though, I’m on team J-wow at this moment.

I was . . . up until the moment he stuck his finger in her face and got belligerent with her. And that's when Joao showed his true colors. I get it's not great to be told you're fake, but he's the one who asked her to name something negative about him. 

Also? It's not Joao's place to scold Margot for asking to be on service. That's entirely up to the chief stew. In both of these instances he's fallen back on his old habit of talking down to the women-folk. I also thought it was really unprofessional calling out Culver in front of everyone else. Regardless of whether Culver is good enough to be a lead deckhand or not, pointing out his failings in front of his fellow workers was just mean spirited and rude.

So now he's sulking. Hurt feelings? OK, but don't lash out at others in response or be snotty about it with Tzarina. Same old Joao.

12 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

How many times are we going to see a guest’s bit of clothing melted?  This isn’t the first.

I'm not sure I would expect someone on a yacht to steam my clothes for me, but that's just me. Maybe if you charter a lot of yachts that's part of the service you expect but I personally would never do that. I did think it was funny how the show cut back and forth between Jaimee telling everyone how nice the guest was about it, to the guest bitching about it to another guest.

I also agree with Margot about these Stepford Wives. They all look like they should be on one of the Bravo Housewives shows.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, rur said:

Heck, if I were working the laundry, I'd buy a steamer at the first port we reached. They're not that expensive. 

Haha…I was in Italy this year, where a lot of the hotels don’t let you have an iron in your room.  I walked down the street and bought a great steamer for $50!

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I also agree with Margot about these Stepford Wives. They all look like they should be on one of the Bravo Housewives shows.

That’s probably their goal.  “Pot housewives of LA”.  Coming soon from Bravo.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
10 hours ago, rur said:

Thank you! I don't know how many incarnations of this show I've watched where an iron is being used to steam clothes, and it's made me crazy every time. I can't believe a luxury yacht wouldn't have a steamer. Heck, if I were working the laundry, I'd buy a steamer at the first port we reached. They're not that expensive. 

You almost stole my thoughts word for word.   Years ago, when I was very young, I had a dress of similiar material. I tried to press it and the nylon tape melted,  I had to hand stitch it a the last minute.

If the guests want tempanyaki, why don't they just hire someone from fucking Benihanas.  Also, they can get that food at home.  First thing I think of when I think luxury yacht is a hibachi grill.  Not!

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

You almost stole my thoughts word for word.   Years ago, when I was very young, I had a dress of similiar material. I tried to press it and the nylon tape melted,  I had to hand stitch it a the last minute.

If the guests want tempanyaki, why don't they just hire someone from fucking Benihanas.  Also, they can get that food at home.  First thing I think of when I think luxury yacht is a hibachi grill.  Not!

Once when I was younger I had a similar experience with a blouse, but now I always pack a steamer when I travel. Watching the stews try to steam with an iron is beyond ridiculous. 

And the chef said -- immediately -- that she wasn't trained in teppanyaki. Maybe Jason should have been a bit more attentive to what she was saying. I agree that they probably could have brought someone in, although that would have cut down on Bravo's need for unnecessary drama. Someone in the staff room was working overtime to think up that request. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, rur said:

And the chef said -- immediately -- that she wasn't trained in teppanyaki. Maybe Jason should have been a bit more attentive to what she was saying. I agree that they probably could have brought someone in, although that would have cut down on Bravo's need for unnecessary drama. Someone in the staff room was working overtime to think up that request. 

Absolutely!  And it is not fair at all.  Tzarina has demonstrated that she is an excellent chef and has tackled all the requests thrown at her.  It is beyond ridiculous to expect her to put on a Teppanyaki show.  She was even willing to give it a go, with some support by Keith Stone, but when Captain Jason nixed that, she was over it.  I was impressed she even considered trying it.  I 1000% believe this was an idea from production to bring the drama.  Captain Jason should be able to discern when a request is going too far.  He was balking at wearing a skimpy swimsuit, for heaven's sake, which requires no skill whatsoever! 😉

• Like 3
On 9/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, snarts said:

Is there some maritime law barring Aesha from handling laundry & cabins for the last charter, thus allowing both Jaimee & Margot to be on service? 

Alternatively, she could've let Margot lead service at breakfast/lunch without changing the schedule.

IMHO, Margot doesn't deserve special consideration, especially after drinking on the job the last time, if it comes at the expense of someone else's experience/comfort.

No law, it's about status and rank.

The chief stew doesn't do the least desirable tasks, like scrubbing toilets.

I guess Jaimee expected to be second stew, with minimal housekeeping chores.

Harry just put Aesha and Jamiee on the spot with his half-drunken comments.

The one guest was classy about her burned dress but then made sure to throw Jaimee under the bus to one of her friends while both were still miked.

Hmm, producer shenanigans?  Did they do sound checks before to make sure they picked up the mics?

Also, what's classy about teppanyaki?  Some people may enjoy having their food flung at them but they're not looking for "5-star" dining at such places.

But Jason thinks if the "guests" ask for it, they have to do it, even though they don't have a big grill or tables set up for it.

Or whether Tsarina is able to juggle knives and accurately fling bits of food at plates a few feet away.

What a bizarre request.

And volcano onion?  Do they want food or do they want a science project?

Or do they just want to watch her grill?  Maybe they should put up TVs by the dining tables.

These guests are well-dressed but hot?

Jaimee said she'd marry any one of them, male or female.

Margot called the women Stepford Wives.

The primary is a cannabis executive?  Did he start a farm that became big?  Or did a cannabis business hire him out of business school?

They seem to favor alcohol instead of weed for getting altered.  I wonder if pot is even legal in Australia or would be on a boat.

• Like 1

The primary can save it with that hushed talk about her "Cult Gaia" dress. Whispering that they won't give Jaimee their dresses anyone because they're expensive.

Natural, quality fabric dresses do not melt. That dress is 100% polyester and that's the sin of it all. She probably paid a few hundred bucks for it. Which is not nothing, but she was acting like it was silk. Jaimee did her a favor.

Also, I really root for Chef, but she just has zero self confidence and it shows.

The onion volcano would be the easiest thing she could do for the Teppanyaki!

• Like 1

The onion is literally a stack of sliced onion over oil lit on fire. She's just anxious about the whole patter/showmanship thing.  Do they expect her to juggle eggs on a spatula and toss them into her hat? People literally train to do that, and she hasn't.

If the captain thinks they'll be satisfied watching her merely slice and grill veg and meat, he's the one shortchanging them by denying the vaudeville act of Keith Stone. 

• Like 2

Requesting a Benihana sideshow is not a good idea if you want to preserve your fancy clothes. Having an iron burn on your dress will be the least of your worries once you start getting hot oily food thrown at your face. It just does not sound like a classy experience to me.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

so we can all make onion volcanos

so I watched it. There is nothing about it being good to eat. It's a stupid people trick. Man these guests are stupid (or the producers are) for asking Tsarina to do this.

• Like 1

I hope Tsarina hits some of the guests with some scalding piece of meat if they did really ask for this.

Or she can aim at the producers behind the camera, who may also be the culprits behind this pref sheet ask.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Nunyabiznis said:

Requesting a Benihana sideshow is not a good idea if you want to preserve your fancy clothes. Having an iron burn on your dress will be the least of your worries once you start getting hot oily food thrown at your face. It just does not sound like a classy experience to me.

Especially if the chef says she's never done it before! WTF.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Found a tutorial so we can all make onion volcanos:

That seems like an epically bad idea to do on a vessel in the ocean, especially without the proper equipment and training.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

That seems like an epically bad idea to do on a vessel in the ocean, especially without the proper equipment and trainin

Good point. They don't have gas stoves exactly because "no flames allowed," right?

• Like 1

I’m tired of the low bar to call men misogynist. First of all most men (and women by the way) whether aware or not have a bit of misogyny in their dna. PERIOD! Joaos reactions was plain frustration and that it. To label it a million other things because he head a less than gentleman like outburst because Tszarina was being hella confusing and then Topped it off with a couple of insults is just so corny to me. Meanwhile I ABSOLUTELY hate and usually call out mistreating women. The fact that tzarina wants to dance around what she wants, bring up the past and label him in an unflattering way doesn’t sit right with me. She’s a grown woman and has all the informations she needs to either make a go of it or not. Watching her put Joao on trial so she can air her misgivings about him seemed very unfair to me. I have nothing against her being guarded BECAUSE of this knowledge but her using it as some sort of tool to justify her wishy washy intentions is tough to stomach. 

it sounds to me that the situation with tzarinas friend was him making no pretenses about them being casual and when her friend wanted more Joao bailed. If you can’t do casual then don’t do casual. Simple. It also seems like tzarina is trying to tell Joao that although SHE keeps throwing the word causal around she’ll probably go the same route as her friend and still want more eventually and that’s why she has her guard up. She’s speaking in code and wants Joao to reassure her that he will treat their coupling as an official relationship. It also seems like Joao is waiting for her to clarify that that IS what she wants and it also seems like he’s actually game to give in a shot but since she’s being so negatively be about him in general with regards to a relationship now HIS red flags about her have started waving and I don’t blame him. 

As a woman I understand it’s difficult to let the walls down but then don’t engage in situations that you just don’t have the stomach for. I hate pretenders. The DTF wannabes that start crucifying their partner once they catch feelings and want to change the setup at the drop of a hat. 

Tzarina DOES NOT want a casual relationship with Joao. Point Blank Period and she should just be transparent about that and conduct herself accordingly. My God, she’s not a child for Pete’s sake. 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 9/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, iMonrey said:

I think they thought they were auditioning for a Real Housewives franchise, especially the biatch that needed help unpacking. She's been watching the Ramona Coaster too much. I hate people that need help unpacking for what amounts to an overnight trip. If you need help with that, you need to check yourself....

• Like 4

Have they never heard of using a pressing cloth between a garment and the iron? It would be used on an ironing board not hanging but if you're working with a meltable fabric don't let a hot object touch it.  Of course were looking at cleaning staff not seamstresses. I really am old...

• Like 2
21 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

Have they never heard of using a pressing cloth between a garment and the iron? It would be used on an ironing board not hanging but if you're working with a meltable fabric don't let a hot object touch it.  Of course were looking at cleaning staff not seamstresses. I really am old...

They should know how to handle different types of fabrics, chief stew should tell them about using a pillowcase or towel for ironing polyester, silk, etc...I am in the same boat as you @OlderThanDirt, lost generation of common sense.

• Like 2
On 9/20/2023 at 12:46 PM, OlderThanDirt said:

Or just looking at the tag with the care instructions, instead of just assuming? That said, I’ve always seen that “request” by guests to unpack and iron/steam/whatever their clothes as an “in your face” move. 

It says a lot about the guest, too, that she was forgiving to Jaimee’s face, and then ripped her up in private. She should have been honest, and calmly discussed it. Not watched the finale yet, but I’ve got a feeling this isn’t over.

Culver — such a douche. That job was obviously discussed as a possibility (remote?), not a sure thing, and he should have just kept his mouth shut. That, plus taking Jaimee down to a broom closet with the bucket of acid. One of the all-time worst cast members, IMO.

I don’t blame Tzarina for being stressed. She’s not trained as an Benihana chef. She has more reason to walk off than Rachel did on BD with the 20-course meal.

• Like 2