Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

I’m going to need a ruling on my score. I got at least 1/5 (surf), but up to 3/5 depending on whether the following would be accepted:

• “Tales of the Brothers Grimm” (I’ve seen it titled that way, not sure if it’s official though)
  • Just “Roxie”, no Hart. (Couldn’t think of her last name)

This delicious deep dish Chicago-style pizza should not be construed as a bribe. Not at all.

IMG_0564.jpeg.7e4a77a799370d9eaa574a484fb2f548.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m going to need a ruling on my score. I got at least 1/5 (surf), but up to 3/5 depending on whether the following would be accepted:

• “Tales of the Brothers Grimm” (I’ve seen it titled that way, not sure if it’s official though)

This delicious deep dish Chicago-style pizza should not be construed as a bribe. Not at all.

That pizza does not bribe me bc as a born and raised Jerseyan I'm NY style all the way, so.....

IMHO, I think J! judges would take the Grimm answer, but not sure abt Roxie. I am leaning toward acceptance bc Roxie is unique enough of a name that I don't believe other works have Roxies in them. My only issue is that J! judges tend to say no for just first names unless that is what is being asked. But they've accepted Romeo or Juliet w/o their surnames, so yeah. up to the auspices of @Clanstarling, lol.

• Like 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yes on the Grimms. While I was writing this, I changed my opinion on Roxie. It was a no, but then I thought about play characters (in Shakespeare as pointed out by @theartandsound) and other plays by which the characters are largely known by their first names, so I'm going to give you (and anyone else who just said "Roxie." that point.

So I'm recording you as 3/5. Everyone else keep that in mind with your scores.

The bribe/not bribe wouldn't have worked anyway, as I'm not a deep dish person. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Maybe the picture doesn't do it justice, but that looks more like a stuffed crust pizza, and I have to ask: Is it from Illinois? 
My love of deep dish Chicago pizza is founded in something that looks more like this:

PizzaPull_72.0.jpg

• Like 1
(edited)

Thank you @Clanstarling and @theartandsound!

A variety of NY-style pizzas as a token of my appreciation:

Pizzas.thumb.jpg.9efec6c242ad296764f573c66165781f.jpg

I also prefer these to the deep dish, being NY born and raised. We'll save the Chicago style for Roxie Hart (not gonna forget that now) and anyone else who wants some.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

3/5 with an * - started the week strong getting the Brothers Grimm & Roxie Hart (saw both the original and the revival versions of Chicago on Broadway but will spare you my warbling of all the songs) and Mary Stewart/Stuart (thank you W&M history department). 

However, pride goeth before a fall and I flamed out for the rest of the week.  Totally misread Thursday's answer so had no clue and even though I have enjoyed Aruba's hospitality a couple of times, I could not get to the name in time.  

I will offer up one of Mother Grundoon's favorite summer drinks as a nod to the islands - rum and ginger ale (Vernor's of course).  

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
40 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

rum and ginger ale (Vernor's of course).  

Have you noticed Vernon's is no longer ginger ale, but "ginger soda" ? I guess some folks thought it was alcoholic & wouldn't buy it. People can be so obtuse.

• Like 3

A little deep-dish history for the pizza table...

(Also a Jersey girl; thin crust all the way. Deep dish really doesn't appeal to me at all.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My games weren't great but I had a good FJ week!

Week 44: 4/5
YTD: 110/221 (50%) with 8*

In honor of Wednesday's Bread category, I will bring a bread basket.

image.png.e43fe925224b63b74f730d29186f8b98.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Week 44 – July 8  - No Asterisks
216.     OPERA - The melody of a traditional piece for the koto called "Echigo-Jishi" is used in Act 1 of this opera (Madame Butterfly)
217.     LITERATURE - In one story he is enslaved by the Old Man of the Sea & uses apes to pick fruit so he can afford his fare back to Baghdad (Sinbad the Sailor)
218.     FAMOUS AMERICANS - In his 1999 memoir he wrote, "I had been shot down a short walk's distance from the French-built prison, Hoa Lo" (John McCain)
219.     COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD - Until 1991 this country named for a river had a capital whose name means "lakes" in Portuguese (Nigeria)
220.     NAMES IN MEDICINE - He got a special presidential citation in 1955, passed away in 1995 & was dubbed "the man who saved the children" (Salk – Dr. Jonas Salk)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Week 44: 5/5.  For "Last Alphabetically," I'll bring a variety of zucchini dishes.  (Thanks, garden!)

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 44: 3/5
Mon: Madame Butterfly; Wed: John McCain; Fri: Jonas Salk

Exactly the same for me 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

3/5

I got Mon. Tues. & Wed.  I was so close to Friday's clue - I knew who they wanted but couldn't pull Salk's name from my brain.

I'll bring a basket of cherry tomatoes from my garden to go with the cold cuts and bread basket - and a big bowl of sweet cherries for dessert.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I ended the week with a poor 2/5 as names kept escaping me even if I knew what the who wouldn't come out.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1

An above average week for me at 3/5.  I did notice, though, that I (and all the other m/w/f people here) only got correct responses on the FJ's that the contestants got unanimously correct.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Another M-W-F gal here (3/5) 

I’ll bring some homemade dressings for the tomatoes and summer vegetables. 

I'll be right over!😋

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3/5, in the grand M/W/F tradition.

Shocked that I got an Opera FJ-- had I been there, wagering, I wouldn't have risked a penny. Saddened, as always, by a mention of John McCain. I always vote Democrat, but I would have made an exception for him. America missed a real opportunity there, I believe. Salk was just... Salk. An instaget for me.

cupcake.jpg.aad4d19e71623f13733cd2216ece0aac.jpg

Madama Butterfly cake for all.

• Like 8

4/5 although where I pulled Nigeria from, I have no idea. Otherwise, M. Butterfly (yes, I know it is a play, not the opera), McCain & Salk. 

I will bring Sangria - I have white, rose & red wine recipes.  

I had a very odd Butterfly related moment yesterday while watching Vintage Base Ball.  For at least 10 to 15 minutes, I was the favorite resting place for a beautiful butterfly (no idea which species).  It would settle somewhere on my arm, hand, leg or chair and then fly in a circle and come back for another rest.  Eventually, it got tired of me and flew away, but it was neat while it lasted.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Half raisins for the eyes if for adults:

ButterflySnackFeatured.jpg

2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I had a very odd Butterfly related moment yesterday while watching Vintage Base Ball.  For at least 10 to 15 minutes, I was the favorite resting place for a beautiful butterfly (no idea which species).  It would settle somewhere on my arm, hand, leg or chair and then fly in a circle and come back for another rest.  Eventually, it got tired of me and flew away, but it was neat while it lasted.

45+ years ago, when I was pregnant with my oldest, while attending a "gathering of the tribes" in Oregon, there were quite a few Monarch butterflies sitting on us for quite a while. It's still a treasured memory. 
Er, at least it was until I just googled Butterfly Food. 
Don't go there, @Grundoon59!
Stick with Butterfly-Themed Food.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 7/14/2024 at 12:46 PM, helpmerhonda said:

Week 43: 3/5 (Just getting caught up. I was on vacation in Denmark!)

Sounds great! Hope you had a good time.

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Half raisins for the eyes if for adults:

ButterflySnackFeatured.jpg

45+ years ago, when I was pregnant with my oldest, while attending a "gathering of the tribes" in Oregon, there were quite a few Monarch butterflies sitting on us for quite a while. It's still a treasured memory. 
Er, at least it was until I just googled Butterfly Food. 
Don't go there, @Grundoon59!
Stick with Butterfly-Themed Food.

I may be an adult, but I'll take the children's version please.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Week 44: 4/5. Came so very very close to going with Nigeria as my guess on Thursday, but two five out of five weeks in a season would mean the world is ending, so it's probably for the best.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 3

My Aunt Francie used to bake coffee cakes with raisins in them. When it came time to eat them, she'd pick out all the raisins "in case their bugs."  She did this in front of my brother when he was a tot and to his dying day, he never ate raisins.

My mother disliked Francie (her SIL) with the fire of a thousand suns.

• Like 5