Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

1/6 - just the tiebreaker.

I should have got Beirut - It was "on the tip of my tongue". Couldn't retrieve the name in time.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

@Clanstarling, please note I just corrected my numbers to 0/6 not 1/6!

Sorry about that.

No worries.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

1/6 (Polo) 

I'll bring some root beer and frosted mugs in case anyone else would like to make a float with the ice cream. 

I don't have a score for you for the week of June 10 (week 40). I looked through the history, but didn't see anything. Don't want to short you points!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Here's what my FJ week looked like. Mon: "Shakespeare and Sssssss..." Tue: "Huh?" Wed: "Um, Axe?" Thurs: "Gotta be Zelda Fitzgerald. Who else?" Fri: "Uhhh..." Fri part 2: "Doppler!!!"

So it's a 1/6 for me. 

On 6/22/2024 at 12:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

but those who did not grow up with pineapple & cottage cheese might prefer to do something else with these pineapple slices in ZERO shapes: 

pudcake.jpeg.19341d2f1823a64ec62ebc2931cf7589.jpeg

A long time favorite... I'm happy to oblige!

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

No worries.

I don't have a score for you for the week of June 10 (week 40). I looked through the history, but didn't see anything. Don't want to short you points!

Unfortunately I don’t think I got any that week, but thank you for asking. 

• Thanks 1

3/6 (thanks to tiebreaker) with no * since I went with Zelda F even though I thought the date was too early.  I got Polo & Hank Aaron (and Doppler).  I blame my total confusion on the remaining days on the heat/humidity (that's my story and I will stick to it and everything else - did I mention the heat and humidity?).  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

3/6 (thanks to tiebreaker) with no * since I went with Zelda F even though I thought the date was too early.  I got Polo & Hank Aaron (and Doppler).  I blame my total confusion on the remaining days on the heat/humidity (that's my story and I will stick to it and everything else - did I mention the heat and humidity?).  

Well, heat and humidity does make one sticky, so that makes sense! :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Week 42: 1/5

27 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Week 42:  2/5 (T, Th)

Honing in on the "teacher" part of Friday's FJ clue, I said Anne Sullivan. 😒

I too initially and confidently said "Anne Sullivan Macy," but before the music stopped I realized Helen Keller wrote an autobiography, but that the "Anne Sullivan Macy" biography I read during my childhood biography-reading phase was by someone else. 

• Like 5

Week 42 – June 24 – One Asterisk
206.     *NAMES IN THE HEAVENS - When this body was discovered in 1978, Persephone was suggested as its name (Charon)
207.     NATIONAL MONUMENTS - From its ramparts, you can see the mouth of the Patapsco River as it flows into Chesapeake Bay
208.     LITERATURE - The British Library says of this 19th c. man, "One of his most famous poems... is a warning about the arrogance of great leaders" ([Percy Bysshe] Shelley)
209.     BUSINESSMEN - After joining the Army at 16 in 1906 for a brief stint, he received a much higher honorary rank from the governor of his state 29 years later (Colonel Sanders)
210.     NOTABLE AMERICAN WOMEN - In her autobiography she tells of a rather "singular coincidence", that one of her Swiss ancestors was a teacher of the deaf (Helen Keller)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2/5 (Colonel Sanders, Helen Keller).

I thought about bringing a bucket of KFC to the party, but I opted instead for some delicious burgers and beer from iconic local drive-in spot, Keller's. Yum.

download2.jpg.23652bc44b877f404f57733dbc59535f.jpg

• Like 8
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

2/5 no *

Im deciding what to bring as it’s really too hot to cook. 

It's delightfully cool and rainy here in Western NY, so I just had my gourmet version of cocoa, which could tie in with Helen Keller's Swiss(who knew?) ancestors, but it's also the season for ripe fruit, so how about:
fruit-salad-8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I thought about bringing a bucket of KFC to the party, but I opted instead for some delicious burgers and beer from iconic local drive-in spot, Keller's. Yum.

Good choice! All that KFC salt could kill us.

1/5 Helen Keller, 0*

• Like 4

2/5

Since it's my oldest grandson's birthday today, I'm bringing cupcakes. Decorated with tiny Canada Day flags that you can use to pick your teeth if you choose to do so, you redneck. And... ice cream!

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3

Sigh.  0/5. 

One I overthought (Helen Keller's Teacher is one of the first Scholastic Book Fair books I remember buying, and while it wasn't an autobiography, surely Ms. Sullivan could have gone to write one, right?), one was a total brain freeze (That fort!  Near that bridge! That was named after the guy who wrote the Star Spangled Banner!  With ramparts!), and the rest, I had decent, but wrong, guesses for.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4

2/5, no *:

@SoMuchTV, I followed the same line of thinking except I decided at the last minute that Helen Keller was probably more notable than Anne Sullivan and went with her. But your line of thinking for Ft. McHenry was exactly the same as mine. The best I could come up with was Ft. Sumter, which I knew was the wrong state and the wrong war. 

• Like 4

Week 42: 3/5  0*   Overall: 104/211 10* 

In honor of my "bookend" week ( M F wrong, T W Th right) I shall bring Oreos (since the good stuff is in the middle).

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1

2/5 for me this week (Shelly, Keller).

When the Keller clue came on I said "easiest FJ ever!" because until my husband thought it might be Anne Sullivan, it never even occurred to me it would be anyone else. I still felt I was right (which is a rare occurrence, even my correct answers more often than not feel like wild-a**ed guesses.)

• Like 4

3/5 this week.

Luckily I couldn’t think of the name of Helen Keller’s teacher so just I shrugged and went with Helen Keller to be close.

• Wink 2
  • Applause 2

Oh, my. It's that brief window of the year when all five FJs in a week make me think I'd be better at this game than I traditionally ever am.
5/5, * included.

I'll revert to my former semi-competence shortly, just gonna bask and say things like 'I could totally be a jeopardy champion!' for the next few days.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 8

3/5 with no *.  Would have been 4 since I had heard Ozymandias referenced on a British game show I was watching recently, but I could not for the life of me remember who wrote it.  

I will bring Strawberry Short Cake, which is a Grundoon family summer dinner tradition.

Happy Canada Day to my neighbors to the South (thanks to a Detroit-Windsor geographical oddity)!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Week 43:  2/5. (T, F)

In honor of Friday's FJ, and following the dessert theme, how about some Dutch Apple Pie, English Trifle and some Crema Catalana (the Spanish version of creme brulee. 🤤)

• Like 8
(edited)

Week 43 – July 1 – One Asterisk
211.     GERMAN BOOKS - First published in 1812, this anthology included "The Water Nymph" & "The Booted Tom Cat" (Grimms’ Fairy Tales)
212.     STAGE & MOVIE CHARACTERS - Acquitted of shooting her lover in 1924, Beulah Annan was the inspiration for this character in a play, film & musical (Roxie Hart)
213.    * HISTORIC WOMEN - In the 16th century, she changed the "EW" in her family name to a "U" to help her new French in-laws spell it more easily (Mary Queen of Scots – Mary Stuart)
214.    TECH TALK - In 1992 Jean Polly told new web users to do this & later explained they "need some skill... never know if there are going to be sharks" (Surf the Web)
215.     WORLD LANGUAGES - The flag of Aruba features a 4-pointed star symbolizing its 4 major languages: the local Papiamento & these 3 imported ones (Dutch, English, Spanish)

Edited because Mary Stuart was an asterisk - which means I get one! Yay!

(this always seems to happen when I'm in a hurry, sorry)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Two for me this week. Bummer.

Two for me this week. Yay!

Week 43: 2/5
Mon: Grimm's Fairy Tales; Thursday: Surf

Although the jury's still out on whether my answer of just "What is Surf?" would have been accepted, I think I more than made my case for it in the main thread here.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Although the jury's still out on whether my answer of just "What is Surf?" would have been accepted, I think I more than made my case for it in the main thread here.

I would accept "surf."

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Week 43 – July 1 – No Asterisks
213.     HISTORIC WOMEN - In the 16th century, she changed the "EW" in her family name to a "U" to help her new French in-laws spell it more easily (Mary Queen of Scots – Mary Stuart)

Mary was an asterisk.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Two for me this week. Yay!

Week 43: 2/5
Mon: Grimm's Fairy Tales; Thursday: Surf

Surf is definitely accepted as a correct answer on this forum!

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I would accept "surf."

Mary was an asterisk.

Thank you. This is what happens when I hurry to get the questions/answers up on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1