Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Part Four - Fallen Jedi

• Start Topic

Hera lost most of the X-Wings because she decided not to shoot the hyperdrives...

Ahsoka got kicked into the magic portal by the hyperdrive shock wave? Or anyone jumping off the cliff could have landed there?

Sabine ... failed to put the mission first.. still the worst Jedi ever...

• Like 4

The force really wants to keep Ahsoka alive. First she gets saved by the daughter a force god (speaking of that how come we haven't seen Morai yet), then Ezra saves her from Vader and now she somehow gets sent to the World between Worlds again. That is probably how she gets to the other universe. 

Baylon telling Sabine that Ahsoka doesn't trust her, then she goes and proves Ahsoka right not trust her. I guess we'll have to see if she listens to her own advise when it comes to Anakin. They played the Vader music so he's not good Anakin. Of course when she though Shin killed Sabine she had a little of her not Jedi like revenge.

So Marrak turned out to be nobody, when that is all people were trying to figure out. Lol

I'm not sure on Hera's parenting skills bringing her son on a dangerous mission. I suppose he's there so Ezra can meet him. Also Hera what was your plan to play chicken with a giant hyperdrive ring? Why weren't you attempting to shoot one of the drives. 

• Like 7

Really enjoyed the episode. Will need to watch again to really get my thoughts. 

Almost lost because of the ending, something Sabine said kind of stuck to my mind. She said that her master didn’t listen to her about Mandalore. So were Ahsoka and Sabine first training together back then when Mandalore was glassed by the Empire. Is that part of the reason they ended up stop training together?

I believe the Republic ships were preparing to shoot at the Hyperdrive Ring- Teva gives the order to “lock S-Foils in attack position.”  Morgan just didn’t bother to fight, and blew right through them.  If they had arrived slightly earlier, they could’ve engaged it in battle - but that’s just not how things worked out.  As is, I think the show did a good job moving the plot forward in a way that makes sense for the characters.

Yes- Sabine too.  She’s basically just seen Ahsoka fall to her death, she has no other allies available, and she’s facing someone who can literally kill her with a thought.  She’s out of options, so yeah- absolutely give him the map.  Also, she’s theoretically headed towards Ezra, the only other Jedi she knows- maybe he’ll be able do something to prevent Thrawn from returning to the SW galaxy.

The only point I’d even question Ahsoka and Sabine on is that they basically did exactly what they promised Huyang they wouldn’t do, and split up at the most crucial moment.  But, even that was a split second decision- maybe if they had teamed up on Shin they could’ve taken her out, but then ran out of time to get to the map.

49 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

So Marrak turned out to be nobody, when that is all people were trying to figure out. Lol

I’m really happy for this outcome.  As is, he was just the tertiary bad guy whose main attribute is being a competent fighter - personally, I don’t think revealing he was actually some other person would’ve added anything of value.  Either he’s someone who’s otherwise not involved with the story, or they would have to spend backstory time explaining him that these shows don’t really have.  Besides, not everything needs to be some big mystery.

Otherwise, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s up with Anakin and the world between worlds.  Although I thought he looked a little funky- hopefully they haven’t de-aged Hayden or anything.  I don’t think they did that on Obi-Wan, so maybe that one shot was just a little off.  Still, it’ll be interesting to find out how she got there, and what it all means.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I’m really happy for this outcome.  As is, he was just the tertiary bad guy whose main attribute is being a competent fighter - personally, I don’t think revealing he was actually some other person would’ve added anything of value.  Either he’s someone who’s otherwise not involved with the story, or they would have to spend backstory time explaining him that these shows don’t really have.  Besides, not everything needs to be some big mystery.

I’m glad Marrak did not last long. That spinning lightsaber made me dizzy.

• Like 3

Good to see Carson again although was his squad called Phoenix Squadron? Stop naming aircraft after a bird that explodes and has to be rebuilt from ash!

41 minutes ago, paigow said:

Hera did not need to wait for the X-Wings. Ghost could have started shooting.

Speaking of fighting politely, Sabine took a little courtesy pause during her fight with Shin too. And she would only fight using one style at a time. Why not corner her with your lightsaber and then hit her with the Mandalorian mixtape? Hard to block a lightsaber and a missile at the same time.

When Hera's kid said "Moooom" after the ring ship took off, I was sure he was going to finish with "...I think I shit my pants!"

I'm glad we got to see Baylin throwing down in this episode, he's spent the last couple of episodes standing around staring at stuff. Don't get me wrong, he looks like a boss doing it but I was hoping for more show, less tell and this episode delivered. I also loved how smooth he was at flipping Sabine, defeating her without having to use any actual violence and destroying the map himself once he was done with it.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Yes- Sabine too.  She’s basically just seen Ahsoka fall to her death, she has no other allies available, and she’s facing someone who can literally kill her with a thought.  She’s out of options, so yeah- absolutely give him the map.  Also, she’s theoretically headed towards Ezra, the only other Jedi she knows- maybe he’ll be able do something to prevent Thrawn from returning to the SW galaxy.

Good point. I think it’s also a stretch to think she was going to destroy the orb by shooting it.

Although, I was more than a little disappointed she didn’t blow anything up. 

2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Otherwise, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s up with Anakin and the world between worlds.  Although I thought he looked a little funky- hopefully they haven’t de-aged Hayden or anything.  I don’t think they did that on Obi-Wan, so maybe that one shot was just a little off.  Still, it’ll be interesting to find out how she got there, and what it all means.

That and the Vader theme made me think it was deliberate to suggest it’s not the Anakin we know. 

Always felt like the Star Wars franchise was lacking in the "rock'em sock'em" department, so I approve of watching Huyang and an evil android engage in a little of bit of old-school brawling!

Love you, Hera, but I'm not sure if this was the best time to do a "Bring your child to work" day with Jacen.  Then again, she's more or less made Chopper the babysitter, so I guess I just have to accept that her parenting is on the eccentric side of things.

Great seeing Carson Teva again and him continuing to be one of the New Republic folks on the right side of things.  Of course, even after all of this, I'm sure the New Republic will just bitch out Hera, Carson, and the rest for "defying orders" instead of show any concern over the clearly evil people zipping off to a whole new universe.  Corporate bullshit is the worst kind of bullshit!

Definitely kind of funny that Marrock/henchguy went out like he did.  I did think it served a good purpose though: you can see how it threw Shin Haiti for a loop and she was starting to realizing just how big of a threat Ahsoka is.

Shin Haiti vs. Sabine Round 2 ended more on a draw at least, but Sabine still needs to up her game if she actually wants to get a win or two under her belt!

Ahsoka vs. Baylan was really giving me some original trilogy lightsaber vibes with how it focused less on flips and tricks, and was more methodical and a lot of pacing/sizing up going on.  I dug it.  Baylan continues to be one of the better antagonists in the Star Wars universe.  At least Ray Stevenson is leaving us on a high note.

I get why Sabine did what she did, but lets just hope it doesn't all go to hell.  Hopefully Ezra will be saved, but is the risk of bringing Admiral Thrawn back into the galaxy worth it?

Obviously Ahsoka won't stay dead or whatever for long, but I wonder how she'll get out of this limbo thing.  And we get our first sighting of Anakin!  If someone told me way back in 2005 that I would be marking out for Hayden Christensen after Revenge of the Sith, I wouldn't have believed them.  And yet here we are! 

• Like 3

When will people learn? More lightsabre doesn't equal better lightsabre. At least in the movies, it never works! Ahsoka went single blade against a spinning double, you see the result? Maybe the cartoons and live-action shows are better, but I just have to shake my head about this.

In other news, I really like Shin's attitude towards physical violence. As the saying goes, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. But at least Baylan kept his word. He's a villain to respect, if not actually like.

• Like 4

I was waiting for Ahsoka to grab his spinning lightsaber and turn it off like she does in Rebels. 

It would be great if Ahsoka uses the world between worlds to get the other universe before them. They show up and Ahsoka is already there with Thrawn. Baylon wants power and to see Ahsoka already has the power to walk between Worlds would be amazing. Also because he thinks he killed her. 

I am excited for the next episode with Ahsoka and Anakin. Hearing him call her snips again made me a little teary eyed. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

When will people learn? More lightsabre doesn't equal better lightsabre. At least in the movies, it never works! Ahsoka went single blade against a spinning double, you see the result? Maybe the cartoons and live-action shows are better, but I just have to shake my head about this.

So what you're saying is "size matters not"? Good luck trying to get space fascists to believe that. I did love the fight too - not only the choreography and the triumph of style over substance, but the way it casually dispensed with the tertiary villain with a cool design who turned out to be just another goon. Not only a good choice but a nice balance to the callbacks and connections that otherwise filled the episode - even to the point of having Ahsoka call Thrawn the "heir to the Empire".

• Like 3
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Love you, Hera, but I'm not sure if this was the best time to do a "Bring your child to work" day with Jacen.  Then again, she's more or less made Chopper the babysitter, so I guess I just have to accept that her parenting is on the eccentric side of things.

She was disobeying orders - you don't leave you kid behind with your pissed off superiors to use as leverage to force you back. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

And we get our first sighting of Anakin!  If someone told me way back in 2005 that I would be marking out for Hayden Christensen after Revenge of the Sith, I wouldn't have believed them.  And yet here we are! 

I know! I couldn't have cared less about Anakin during the prequel trilogies, but The Clone Wars made him one of my favorite characters, so I'm excited to see Hayden's take on Dave Filoni's version of the character. 

11 hours ago, baldryanr said:

She was disobeying orders - you don't leave you kid behind with your pissed off superiors to use as leverage to force you back. 

This is where the lack of Han and Leia's presence is glaring. If you're about to piss off your superiors, surely the Organa-Solo's would have your back and watch your kid. They could have even saved CGI bucks by having Hera dump Jacen on Chewie. 

• Like 3

Well, I'm glad Sabine remembered she's a Mandalorian. That force push fake-out that ended with Shin getting punched in the face made me laugh. Speaking of laughter I also think in this episode was the first time we've seen Ahsoka laugh. Oh, and I also laughed at Morrak just turning out to be a bit of smoke after all the crazy theories about his identity. I guess he was created by Nightsister magic.

Less funny: We got some glimpses of what happened between Ahsoka and Sabine. Sounds as if Ursa, Tristan and Alrich all perished in the Night of a Thousand Tears and Sabine blames Ahsoka and probably herself. No wonder things were shitty between them and no wonder Baylan got to her. Dude is smooth even without a lightsaber.

Huyang gets the Cassandra award of the episode. Splitting up is clearly not working for Sabine and Ahsoka - even though I understand why it happened.

Damn, the Phoenix Squad had a lot of red shirts this time. I have no doubts Chopper will have his revenge.

That "Hello, Snips" was perfect even though I was spoiled. But I'm also missing Morai.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

So what you're saying is "size matters not"? Good luck trying to get space fascists to believe that. I did love the fight too - not only the choreography and the triumph of style over substance, but the way it casually dispensed with the tertiary villain with a cool design who turned out to be just another goon. Not only a good choice but a nice balance to the callbacks and connections that otherwise filled the episode - even to the point of having Ahsoka call Thrawn the "heir to the Empire".

It didn't work when Anakin went dual-wield against Dooku either. At least he remembered and never tried that again. I'll be the first to admit that dual-wield, double-blade, hilted sabre all look cool enough, they just don't work like they should.

• Like 1

So I really enjoyed this episode and thought it was awesome but I do have one issue! The last time we saw Carson Teva in The Mandalorian season 3, he was stationed with Zeb. Now I'll admit, I'm not exactly sure of the timeline but they're trying to convince me that Carson came to help Hera but Zeb didn't?! Now I need a spin off to explain where Zeb is right now if he didn't come with Carson for this mission

• Like 1

Aww man Sabine's carried so much guilt already over Mandalore. If Thrawn comes back and starts another war and people die including her friends. Although it if took 5 seconds for a lightsaber to destroy the map, just blasting it wouldn't have done it. Also if the New Republic would have listened to Hera the fleet could have stopped the hyperspace ring so there. 

• Like 1

I hope Star Wars people appreciate how wonderful Ray Stevenson's performance is. It is truly tragic that we lost him so soon.  I also really like the actor who plays his apprentice.

This was my favorite episode so far.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, paigow said:

Sabine ... failed to put the mission first.. still the worst Jedi ever...

I see they're continuing the Rebels tradition of Poor Decisions Theatre. Though I'm sure it'll work out somehow.

Have they not considered that Ezra could get back the way he left, hitching a ride with the space whales? True, he hasn't managed it yet, but that doesn't mean he can't. He might have a mission to deal with where he is.

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Definitely kind of funny that Marrock/henchguy went out like he did.

So much for all the Star Wars YouTubers who swore they had evidence that he was actually Ezra.

Although it was good to see Anakin in that context, the CGI on him was a bit disconcerting, given that they didn't try to deage him in the Kenobi series for the flashbacks when he should have looked that young and Christensen's current age would actually be somewhat appropriate for Anakin now, if he's the way he would have looked when he died if he hadn't had that lava incident. I couldn't tell if they were trying to make him look more like animated Anakin (though with the wrong voice) or if this is something from Ahsoka's memories, the way she remembers him, or possibly something else, given that they used the more ominous Darth Vadery music for that part.

I still wish they'd either show us (via flashbacks) or tell us what went on with Ahsoka and Sabine between Rebels and now because it still feels more like I missed an episode somewhere along the way than like I'm being teased with small bits of backstory that will explain the present when all is revealed. It's like "all these major things happened that set up this story, and you have to understand them to get what's going on, but you haven't seen them yet." Here, we need to know this stuff to get Sabine's decision, but without it, she looks like more of a jerk.

• Like 1

Ezra & Thrawn went to the same place together. It is a different galaxy... So they are both political outsiders. Difficult to believe that Ezra could not dump Thrawn on some moon, then ask the whales for a ride home.

Its pretty hilarious that after all that fan build up, Marrok turned out to be just some guy, or even just a wisp of dust magic. Marrok is truly the Ralph Boner of Star Wars. 

Sabine and the punch was great, you can take the Mandalorian out of Mandalore but you cant take Mandalore out of the Mandalorian. Sabine is really going through it, I can see why she thought that giving Baylan the map was the best call, with Ahsoka being seemingly tossed off a cliff to her doom she was pretty low on options. I cant imagine that this will go well though. 

Some solid lightsaber fights in this one, I especially liked the one with Baylon vs Ahsoka. No fancy flips or moves, just two old pros whaling on each other. So far I really like Baylon as the main bad guy, I really want to know more about him and why he turned from the Jedi. He does still have some sense of honor and it seems to be a lot more complicated than just joining the dark side for power. 

We don't get to see enough droids throwing hands with each other. Get him, Tennant-Bot!

Hera probably should have found a babysitter for Jacen instead of taking him on their dangerous secret mission. I know that its short notice and she is going against the government and all, but still. 

Awww I got some real nostalgia feels when force Anakin called Ahsoka Snips. Although given they played the Vader theme at the end, I am not so sure that this is going to be a fun talk. Ahsoka sure has survived a lot of things that really should have killed her over the years, she's either the luckiest or least lucky Jedi ever. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, baldryanr said:

But this is the New Republic (or whatever they're calling it) and not the Empire.  It's not like they're going to threaten the kid with torture or death to get her back.

49 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

But this is the New Republic (or whatever they're calling it) and not the Empire.  It's not like they're going to threaten the kid with torture or death to get her back.

He might get put on a non organic, high gluten diet...

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Hearing him call her snips again made me a little teary eyed.

Yep, I got a little misty hearing Snips.

I enjoyed this episode but, I'm going to make a (probably) unpopular comment, I don't like Ahsoka's lightsabor battles. I honestly think Rosario Dawson is not got with the fight choreography, she'stoo slow, her moves are telegraphedand there were a coupleof points where is was like she's just standing still.  The actresses that play Sabine and Shin seem to be better with the fight sequences.

Another pointless complaint,  I know the Crossed Arms is an Ahsoka staple but, it doesn't work for me in Live Action. 

7 hours ago, AG921 said:

So I really enjoyed this episode and thought it was awesome but I do have one issue! The last time we saw Carson Teva in The Mandalorian season 3, he was stationed with Zeb. Now I'll admit, I'm not exactly sure of the timeline but they're trying to convince me that Carson came to help Hera but Zeb didn't?! Now I need a spin off to explain where Zeb is right now if he didn't come with Carson for this mission

I'd honestly be very surprised if they don't explain it by the end of the series. And a little surprised if it's a not a good explanation. I suspect we will see him by the end of the series and that he's not there for story reasons as much as trying to cut down on CGI. The story is about the tensions within the Rebels family and ending up in different places after the war and you can't have the character there who would bring them together and find common ground. Maybe it's as simple as him being out of contact when the lead came in, but I would not be shocked to also find that he's been off a side quest that will play a role in the resolution.

2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

They won't hurt the kid, but if she wanted to see him again, she'd be exposing herself to arrest, depending on how things go. She wouldn't be able to go underground or on the run if she didn't have her son with her.

• Like 1

I certainly agree that Thrawn can't return under any circumstances, but I think she's jumping the gun a little bit at this point. I'd think reporting on the giant hyperspace station would be the priority. 

I was bitching about how there's no way the wannabe Inquisitor would be any shred of a threat to Ahsoka, and she basically messes with him for 5 minutes and literally shreds him in one move. I'm not sure why she went single sabre. Big HA at the screen for me. I think the Baylan fight was fair with Ahsoka being better until she got injured. Although I don't see how an injured hand would be that much of a detriment. She can still jump and push. It's not like the character the show is named after is dead. 

I'm not feeling this baby sith as much either. I think that might be the point though. Another big HA at 'you have no power.' Well, you got no sabre now, girl, so what's up there?

I thought Sabine would maybe snatch the map at the end and run or end up using the force because of the extreme duress. 

Is it established anywhere that the other blades are actually orange and not red?

23 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Of course when she though Shin killed Sabine she had a little of her not Jedi like revenge.

I'd like to see more of this. Take the gloves off. She should have finished off Baylan with the two blades. I don't know why she was holding back. 

I was thinking at the end that the 'backwash' of the hyperspace jump might have sucked the Ghost in with it. Sabine is going to the other galaxy, and it seems there's general agreement that Ahsoka can get there on her own, but that's it. Hera doesn't know where they're going or the means to get there. 

13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I enjoyed this episode but, I'm going to make a (probably) unpopular comment, I don't like Ahsoka's light saber battles. I honestly think Rosario Dawson is not got with the fight choreography, she's too slow, her moves are telegraphed and there were a couple of points where is was like she's just standing still.  The actresses that play Sabine and Shin seem to be better with the fight sequences.

At least we finally saw Ahsoka's classic reverse grip on the light saber this battle. All series long during every fight all I could see/think is "that not how Ahsoka holds her blades."

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I enjoyed this episode but, I'm going to make a (probably) unpopular comment, I don't like Ahsoka's lightsaber battles. I honestly think Rosario Dawson is not got with the fight choreography, she's too slow, her moves are telegraphed and there were a couple of points where is was like she's just standing still.

I've noticed that she's been fighting while wearing her robe, which looks heavy and restricts movement. (Dropping the Jedi robe was so frequent in the prequels, it became a meme.) But I think the point is, Ahsoka hasn't faced a worthy enemy, so she doesn't need to do anything fancy. She can predict her enemies movements, so it looks telegraphed on her end. It wasn't until she faced Baylen that she shed her robe, although we still haven't reached prequel caliber choreography.

11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Is it established anywhere that the other blades are actually orange and not red?

Filoni confirmed orange. Basically, meaning a dark side saber user with a pull toward the light. Crimson red means you are all in on the dark side. Don’t have an online source handy. I have a work friend who follows SW lore more than I do. We have “meetings” every week. 😊

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 1

So those space whales. They're going to come back somehow. Ahsoka and maybe Hera might hitch a ride, or work out how to duplicate their abilities. I'm thinking this new galaxy might be a dwarf galaxy, like the Small Magellanic Cloud. Compare with Andromeda. Bigger, but further away. The Star Wars galaxy has one known dwarf, the Rishi Maze. In Legends, it had four, and Filoni might want to bring one of those back if only in name.

What the hell am I doing? Mixing real and fake astrophysics in the one post. I know it's complete nonsense, but I can't help myself.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

But I think the point is, Ahsoka hasn't faced a worthy enemy, so she doesn't need to do anything fancy. She can predict her enemies movements, so it looks telegraphed on her end. It wasn't until she faced Baylen that she shed her robe, although we still haven't reached prequel caliber choreography.

I can buy that, but I still think she clearly got the better of Baylan here until she injured her hand. Taking that into context, she definitely wasn't worried about the Inquisitor. 

I think she would have mopped the floor with Baylan with the two sabres in a straight up duel. I know they needed to move the plot to this point, and I like the show. I can fanwank she needed one hand free to disable the map. 

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Filoni confirmed orange. Basically, meaning a dark side saber user with a pull toward the light. Crimson red means you are all in on the dark side. Don’t have an online source handy. I have a work friend who follows SW lore more than I do. We have “meetings” every week.

That's good enough for me. They never struck me as 'sith' per se on the show because they talked in complete, actual sentences, so the question over the color of the blade naturally arose with me. I'm not sure how they got orange though because the red sabres are synthetic crystals iirc. I'm not sure the show is going to get into that; I don't think it's necessary. 

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

At least we finally saw Ahsoka's classic reverse grip on the light saber this battle. All series long during every fight all I could see/think is "that not how Ahsoka holds her blades."

Maybe she finally realized that holding your blades point down puts you at a disadvantage unless you're right next to your opponent. 

16 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

They won't hurt the kid, but if she wanted to see him again, she'd be exposing herself to arrest, depending on how things go. She wouldn't be able to go underground or on the run if she didn't have her son with her.

Plus they could easily say that if Hera doesn't cease and desist she's a criminal, and the New Republic would grant custody of Jacen to a law-abiding citizen on some distant world.  Gotta think of the children and all that.

• Like 1
On 9/6/2023 at 7:10 AM, Sakura12 said:

Hearing him call her snips again made me a little teary eyed. 

All I heard was "Mwowm." Even after I re-wound and turned the volume up. The only way I understood that's what he was saying was because I watch with subtitles.

Am I the only one?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, FierceCritter said:

All I heard was "Mwowm." Even after I re-wound and turned the volume up. The only way I understood that's what he was saying was because I watch with subtitles.

Am I the only one?

Yes, it was very marble mouthed and distorted.

• Like 2

No, I only heard it because of the subtitles. 

I saw a theory about Anakin (spoiler for Clone Wars in case) -

Spoiler

'Anakin' is actually The Son. 
I don't know about that because I don't remember if The Son would have known Anakin called her Snips. Also, they played the Vader music.

Edited by DoctorAtomic

Perhaps for the more REbels /Clone Wars veterans, but if you watched Kenobi you'd know what I'm talking about. I'd like to know which Inquisitor it was that invented the weedwhacker lightsaber and used it with such success that the rest of the corps was like "YASSSSSSSS! That's our squad's official weapon for sure," because whenever you switch on the "rotate" feature, you always end up getting your ass whooped. I can't even figure out how it would be advantageous, I mean I guess you can throw it, but I've never seen that work either. ANd to hit your opponent with the spinny parts, they have to be within arm's length, no? Otherwise aren't you ALSO getting weedwhacked? Stupid ass weapon. Even stupider when that one dude flew away on his on Malecore, only to get shot down like the asshole he was. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I'd like to know which Inquisitor it was that invented the weedwhacker lightsaber and used it with such success that the rest of the corps was like "YASSSSSSSS! That's our squad's official weapon for sure," because whenever you switch on the "rotate" feature, you always end up getting your ass whooped. I can't even figure out how it would be advantageous, I mean I guess you can throw it, but I've never seen that work either. ANd to hit your opponent with the spinny parts, they have to be within arm's length, no?

That's a good point. You'd have limited maneuverability if you don't want to hit yourself. You'd have to keep it out to your side, hold it over your head or else stand with your side facing your opponent in order to attack. It looks like it does better as a defensive weapon, working like a shield. It would take someone with perfect timing to get a strike through it like Ahsoka did. I guess they're counting on most of the Jedi they're going after being rusty. I hope they have some kind of training model that doesn't slice because learning to work around that thing would take a lot of work.

The weedwhacker is a gimmick because the inquisitors just weren't good enough to fight for real, and there weren't enough people to train them. The Empire just pressed a lot of them into service. Not all of them may have been force sensitive even.