Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: The Wheel of Misfortune

• Start Topic

Capt. Jason makes an unpopular decision to fire a deckhand; a lead deckhand joins the boat; Margo struggles with a challenge on her first attempt at service; a charter guest experiences a medical emergency.

Airdate: 08.26.2023

Nuts, I was hoping it was Culver that got fired but now that I'm watching the second part it looks like it's not. I hope he gets fired eventually

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 6

Like a smuggled budgie gasping for air, these comments are in the order of episode scenes broadcast.

Jason thinks he can “shake up” Culver.  The only thing to shake up Culver is the blender to make his smoothies.

Goodbye Adam.  You seem like a nice enough fellow, but you were on the wrong end of too many errors.

Culver, trying to explain his shortcomings:  “I’m still trying to get into that groove.”  How many more years will it take?

Margot: “I don’t want to be needy and annoying, but I am.”  Boy howdy.

Holy crap, did Cheffy just channel Rachel?  “Feed me!”  Yikes!

At least the snorkeling made more sense than another beach picnic.  Looked like fun, and the brief underwater scenes were nice.

Margot wanted to get in on service – she has – and now she dreads making drinks?  Perhaps a bit of research beforehand would have been advisable?

What will happen next time?  Will the charter guest be OK?  Will the drama put Culver off his feed?  Will the new guy Luka make any mistakes?  Stay tuned, if you can stay conscious….

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Culver has to fit in his boat job in between feedings and there are a lot of feedings. 

Not going to say I like the banana hammock bathing suit but damn, hello captain!

I lika Luka, grrrr. LOL.

Margot was dreading the wheel of drinks orders but it looked like she handled it, those guys had to realize she was the lone bartender.

The snorkling looks amazing, too bad I will never experience it because of all the things in the water in Austrailia that can kill you, seriously.

Seems like Cheffy finally got into the rhythm of the kitchen, her meals are finally looking private boat like.

The guest that had a seizure, how terrifying. His friends seemed like this was not the first time it has happened in front of them.  They seem like a decent lot.

• Like 11
12 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The guest that had a seizure, how terrifying. His friends seemed like this was not the first time it has happened in front of them.  They seem like a decent lot.

I was thinking that too. The one friend seemed to know exactly what was happening, and acted immediately. There didn't seem to be any confusion or time needed to figure out what was going on.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, SweetieDarling said:

I was thinking that too. The one friend seemed to know exactly what was happening, and acted immediately. There didn't seem to be any confusion or time needed to figure out what was going on.

Fortunately they did not have to spin an app wheel to figure it out.

• LOL 5

Jamie complaining that she was "demoted to third stew." That's not what Aisha said. How on earth does a third stew ever learn how to be a second stew if they are never put on service? And second stews aren't ever expected to do laundry and housekeeping again?

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

Bummed that Jason decided to fire Adam, despite Joao's input and his own memory of Culver's laziness. He seems to be forgetting that while you can teach skills but you can't cultivate initiative or improve attitude. 

Adam seemed like a good egg and I hope he gets another chance on a future season.

Surprisingly, I find myself shipping Joao & Cheffy. He really does seem to be a better version of himself. 

Aesha continues to amuse me, her interview detailing Luka & her sister's history was the kind of entertainment I look for on Monday nights. 

• Like 16
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Adam seemed like a good egg and I hope he gets another chance on a future season.

Agreed. I'm guessing he was let go more for being a good egg - and thus less dramatic potential in terms of messy hookups - then for the mistakes he made. He talked about wanting to make money for his family and did not seem super interested in random sex with co-workers. And to production - that isn't good.

New guy Luka looks more ready to play from the jump and I foresee a triangle to come with Jaime, Culver and Luka. Could be wrong. Luka hooks up with Margot or no one, but where's the story in that?

• Like 7

Not that Culver doesn't deserve to get fired too, but I think letting Adam go was the right decision. The anchor thing was just a huge safety violation. And it really speaks to his lack of experience which is strange considering how much they have emphasized his qualifications on commercial vessels. The yacht is a converted commercial vessel! How different can the anchor be? Adam seems like he's a good egg but I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying he's maybe not real bright. I just don't think a career on boats is right for him.

I don't know if Joao told Culver the captain was also considering firing him within earshot of Tzarina or if it just looked that way, but if he did that was dick move.

It's no wonder it took so long for Harry to take the hint, Margot is still sending mixed signals. Also, Aesha's "night out" outfit looks like a mini bathrobe.

Last time we saw Culver Facetiming his mother, it was Tzarina crawling all over him, telling her she was falling in love with his son. This time he's introducing his new squeeze Jaimee. And mom doesn't even bat an eye. She's clearly used to her son being with a different girl every week.

What is with all these deckhands with absentee fathers? Is it a job requirement? Culver has a single mom, Joao had a single mom, Adam had a single mom, now Luka had a single mom. Does Harry have a dad? No wonder they're all so messed up, none of them had a dad growing up.

• Like 5

Yeah the mother also seemed to be used to Culver getting mad at his superiors for not getting his way.  So she was telling him he had to calm down and just do the work.

Jamiee can't resist her first visit to Europe but she's wary about carrying on a boatmance from one boat to another.

She says they've only met a week ago.  Yeah the first night she jumped into his shower.  And then they've been all over each other since.  Why would Culver think they're a thing?

Margot doesn't feel a tingle down there when she kisses Harry but also misses the attention when he's not hanging around her all the time?

Choose a lane!

These guests, they're colleagues and have never had a luxury vacation together.  So they decide their bonding activity is to drink based on where a spin on the app ends up?

Maybe timed for when Margot was on service.  Aesha is right that it gives Margot more experience making the drinks.  But if they didn't use the app, these guests were going to order a lot of drinks anyways so maybe she might not have had to make a variety of drinks.

Anyways, maybe it was a producer idea more than these guests, who doesn't appear to need a gimmick to down a lot of drinks.

• Like 3

Capt. Jason has to do what he feels is best and safest for his vessel, but I would not have fired Adam. I think he was probably over reacting because of the incident that he saw earlier in his career. I think Adam would’ve been done with the mistakes and would turn out to be a fine crew member. Culver is the dead wood that needs to go.  He could have easily cut someone’s fingers off having the winch set to fast instead of slow.

• Like 5

Help! I think I’m actually starting to believe that Joao has changed. I haven’t been paying that much attention, so I’m wondering has he stopped drinking?
I am so sad to see Adam go. He was really a good guy and trying to do his best. I understand about the safety issue but still…

Culver is an asshole. I used to feel kind of sorry for him because oh my god that mouth. It kind of terrifies me. But he’s lazy and way too full of himself. He can leave anytime  I don’t see anything attractive about him at all and wonder what the big draw is for the new stew.

as for Aesha, I do love her despite the fact that her voice does kind of go right through me. But she is a great head stew  it’s nice to see one who actually enjoys her job knows how to interact with people and isn’t a total bitch or frantic all the time

• Like 12
12 minutes ago, Lady of nod said:

But he’s lazy and way too full of himself.

that whole thing about not cleaning up the boat. Yeah he had "an excuse" that he was going to do it on over-night. But when your boss says "do it when you see it" you say "yes boss, I get it," and you shut the hell up. He went on and on about what a bitch Joao was being, which he absolutely was NOT.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

Culver clearly thinks he's the darling of the season, and acting accordingly. As in Joao's worst season, I'm sure his talking heads are full of leading questions about how cool he is, how lame Joao is, etc, even as they're compiling footage of him lazing around while the others work. [Not an excuse for either one's behavior, just an observation that the person getting (and deserving) the biggest dick edit is often gleefully enjoying their interview segments, which they wouldn't if they weren't finding support there]

I feel bad for Adam, and I think a lot of his problem was never being taught in the first place. Until Joao arrived, I think he was just pointed at things and told to do them, instead of being supervised once at each new task, then checked off to do it unsupervised, which is probably what they would normally do with a green deckhand, and probably what Joao was willing to do from this point on.

That said,  I totally understand dismissing him, because the Captain isn't just filming a tv show where you keep the good guy around until he redeems himself. He answers to the boat owner(s), and even if the production crew has rented the yacht for the season, he's ALREADY had a sexual assault incident and a sexual harassment incident on board and there's only so much he can be expected to accommodate.

(I draw the line at the speedos, though. I think he shouldn't have done it, or gone along with the sexpot promotion Bravo has done. He seems like a thoughtful, serious person, and shouldn't go too far into the beefcake stuff.  And I'll say the same if they get another woman captain and she serves dinner in a bikini.)

• Like 6

I think Adam would’ve been done with the mistakes and would turn out to be a fine crew member.

Based on what? He's already done multiple damage to the boat, costing repair money, and the anchor thing wasn't so much a lack of experience as just not paying attention. I get that he seems like a nice enough kid and Culver deserves to be fired just as much if not more, but if I'm Jason I'm through gambling on Adam given how many mistakes he's already made.

(This should really go in the E13 thread, the firing wasn't revealed until then.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, kassa said:

I feel bad for Adam, and I think a lot of his problem was never being taught in the first place.

The thing is . . . Adam supposedly has some kind of certification that makes him qualified to work on any boat. I can't imagine that wouldn't cover something as basic as dropping anchor! He wasn't even supposed to drop the anchor, he was just supposed to go there and wait until the boat stopped. This was just plain carelessness and it was too big a mistake to brush off. This isn't like not cleaning the tender or not washing the windows right. This was way more serious than that..

• Like 6

I'm not a boat person so can't comment on the accuracy, but I thought he was saying that on his previous boats, you released the anchor and then applied the brake quickly so that it was "primed" to be let down. But it got away from him here, probably because the system wasn't set up to work that way. I don't know if he was full of it, but he certainly seemed sincere that this was how he expected it to work.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, aghst said:

With Bravo, you never know.

The greater sin from Adam may be that he's low drama, not that he's inexperienced and is more likely to cause potentially catastrophic accidents.

Definitely not tolerated on reality tv!!  Adam had no hook ups, no arguments/drama, and wasn't inappropriate.  He's more suited to working in the actual yachting industry than the tv version.

• Like 3

Luka looks like a male model.  Gorgeous!  Too bad he wasn't here for the last episode where everyone was modeling their budgie smugglers! I loved Harry's statement that the Captain wouldn't be able to find anyone as good looking as himself (Harry), but Luka came close!  Harry's a peach and I'm glad the last group of guests were showering him with affection.

I am secretly hoping that Jamiee shows an interest in Luka and drops Culver.  THAT would be some excellent drama and Culver would get some just desserts (not real desserts, since he burned that bridge).  Then, Culver would have a lovely Med charter to look forward to, along with his ex-hookup.  😂. A bit of payback for  him stringing along Britini last season and letting her plan a van trip across Australia...

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The thing is . . . Adam supposedly has some kind of certification that makes him qualified to work on any boat. I can't imagine that wouldn't cover something as basic as dropping anchor! He wasn't even supposed to drop the anchor, he was just supposed to go there and wait until the boat stopped. This was just plain carelessness and it was too big a mistake to brush off. This isn't like not cleaning the tender or not washing the windows right. This was way more serious than that..

I agree. I think the captain was explaining for the viewers why it was such a big mistake -- that it could literally kill people. A couple seasons ago there was another deckhand (with other problems, TBH) that was let go because the final straw was that he didn't realize that the boat was dragging anchor soon enough. Sometimes there can be real mistakes that just can't be forgiven. 

2 hours ago, kassa said:

(I draw the line at the speedos, though. I think he shouldn't have done it, or gone along with the sexpot promotion Bravo has done. He seems like a thoughtful, serious person, and shouldn't go too far into the beefcake stuff.  And I'll say the same if they get another woman captain and she serves dinner in a bikini.)

I don't think even Bravo would or could get away with expecting a woman captain to wear a bikini. And that, among other things makes me think that the guests had no real desire for a budgie breakfast; it was just another example of production hijinks we didn't really need. 

37 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I am secretly hoping that Jamiee shows an interest in Luka and drops Culver.  THAT would be some excellent drama and Culver would get some just desserts (not real desserts, since he burned that bridge).  Then, Culver would have a lovely Med charter to look forward to, along with his ex-hookup.  😂. A bit of payback for  him stringing along Britini last season and letting her plan a van trip across Australia...

She sure made that decision quickly, although I imagine a lot of people get jobs, once they're in the industry, because they know someone who knows someone who's looking for someone. But it would have been nice to see her actually asking him some questions, like how long will the season last, or how much does it pay, what kind of boat is it, how big is the staff, or even are you asking me about this because you think I'd do a good job or because you want someone to sleep with.

Edited by rur
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, rur said:

But it would have been nice to see her actually asking him some questions, like how long will the season last, or how much does it pay, what kind of boat is it, how big is the staff, or even are you asking me about this because you think I'd do a good job or because you want someone to sleep with  make your bed.

Fixed it for you!

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
editing
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm not a boat person so can't comment on the accuracy, but I thought he was saying that on his previous boats, you released the anchor and then applied the brake quickly so that it was "primed" to be let down. But it got away from him here, probably because the system wasn't set up to work that way. I don't know if he was full of it, but he certainly seemed sincere that this was how he expected it to work.

Yes, he said that it worked differently on boats he was used to. But, as Jason pointed out, that was irrelevant. Jason had not told him to drop the anchor, so he shouldn't have been doing anything. I can't really make sense of it. The boat was obviously still underway at top speed - why on earth would Adam even touch the anchor at that point?

Flip side, I don't know why Joao would send Adam alone to drop anchor if he'd never done it by himself before, unless he just assumed he would know how. Seems like that was partly on Joao.

At the end of the day though, Adam just isn't cut out for this line of work. Let's not forget: he can't swim, and he gets seasick. He needs to get a job on land.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, kassa said:

I feel bad for Adam, and I think a lot of his problem was never being taught in the first place. Until Joao arrived, I think he was just pointed at things and told to do them, instead of being supervised once at each new task, then checked off to do it unsupervised, which is probably what they would normally do with a green deckhand, and probably what Joao was willing to do from this point on.

That said,  I totally understand dismissing him, because the Captain isn't just filming a tv show where you keep the good guy around until he redeems himself. He answers to the boat owner(s), and even if the production crew has rented the yacht for the season, he's ALREADY had a sexual assault incident and a sexual harassment incident on board and there's only so much he can be expected to accommodate.

I was coming here to post the same thing about Adam.  I think a lot of the fault lies with Luke, who was his bosun for the majority of the season so far.  Luke appeared to do very little in the way of training, assessing, instructing, organizing.  Totally understandable, I guess, when you're putting the moves on unconscious chicks.  

I understand Jason dismissing Adam, although it really broke my heart.  I agree with Joao in theory that you'd rather have a green worker who's a team player and has good work ethic versus someone who may know their stuff but has an attitude and won't take direction.  

I really liked Culver the last season he was on but I see him very differently now.  Unless the editing monkeys are at work, he's very lazy and he clearly has zero respect for Joao, who is his supervisor.  

I know Joao gets a lot of grief but I will say he's a good bosun who knows his stuff and he is 100% correct in what he told Jason.  He did go to bat for Adam and I'll never forget him telling Adam that he could put him in contact with his brother for a future job.  

I have to wonder what Tzarina is going to tell her girlfriend once her girlfriend sees all these scenes were Tzarina is touching, cuddling, and hanging all over Joao.  Even if what Joao said was true and it was basically a hook-up from the start, that's Tzarina's friend who apparently wanted more.  There are plenty of men in the sea (no pun intended) so if I were Tzarina's friend, I'd be pretty pissed off about that.  

Luka is gorgeous and like others, it would be stellar karma for him and Jaimee to hook up, leaving Culver out in the cold.  

I love Aesha.  She is just always so pleasant, so lively, and very happy and gracious to the guests.  Her first season, on Med, I think, her voice really grated on me but I've learned to appreciate it.  She is definitely one of the best stews on the BD franchise.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I have to wonder what Tzarina is going to tell her girlfriend once her girlfriend sees all these scenes were Tzarina is touching, cuddling, and hanging all over Joao.  Even if what Joao said was true and it was basically a hook-up from the start, that's Tzarina's friend who apparently wanted more.  There are plenty of men in the sea (no pun intended) so if I were Tzarina's friend, I'd be pretty pissed off about that.  

I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm sorry, but due to their past history, I find those flirty/handsy scenes with Joao and Tzarina very cringey.  I'd rather see them get along and mend their friendship, but not start a romantic relationship.  I still have some reservations about Joao, though his redemption arc seems to be working...

• Like 4
10 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I still have some reservations about Joao, though his redemption arc seems to be working...

I'm still suspicious of his "redemption arc." He already got one on his second season of Med. He mended fences with Hannah but then turned his misogyny on Aesha. Now he's mended fences with Aesha. Has he stopped being a misogynist? Or has he simply learned to keep it under wraps when he's on TV?

He's always been a good worker. But getting drunk and calling someone a c+ck-juggling thunder c+nt is something that's hard to come back from.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1

Tzarina was all about "girl code" when Jaime was interested in Culver. But it looks like the code doesn't apply to Tzarina herself. 

23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Has he stopped being a misogynist? Or has he simply learned to keep it under wraps when he's on TV?

I'm going with learned to keep it under wraps. He's working hard at being charming, both to the camera and to gullible (or thirsty for camera time) Tzarina.

• Like 2
On 8/29/2023 at 4:16 PM, Lady of nod said:

Help! I think I’m actually starting to believe that Joao has changed. I haven’t been paying that much attention, so I’m wondering has he stopped drinking?
I am so sad to see Adam go. He was really a good guy and trying to do his best. I understand about the safety issue but still…

Culver is an asshole. I used to feel kind of sorry for him because oh my god that mouth. It kind of terrifies me. But he’s lazy and way too full of himself. He can leave anytime  I don’t see anything attractive about him at all and wonder what the big draw is for the new stew.

as for Aesha, I do love her despite the fact that her voice does kind of go right through me. But she is a great head stew  it’s nice to see one who actually enjoys her job knows how to interact with people and isn’t a total bitch or frantic all the time

I agree. Aesha has been the best head stew on any of the Below Deck franchises.

• Like 4
On 9/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, janiema said:

I agree. Aesha has been the best head stew on any of the Below Deck franchises.

Aesha definitely has the best customer service personality of them all. I've really grown to like her. Her first season on med, not so much. 

J wow does seem  more chill. I'm liking him and cheffy.