Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Part Three - Time to Fly

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Please remember if you would like to discuss other Star Wars properties at length, to go to the Beyond Star Wars topic. Mentions of other shows and small comparisons are fine here but posts should be mostly about the episode. Thank you!

• Start Topic

Did Sabine just leave the cat behind? Who is taking care of the poor kitty?

Are these big space whale creatures the same beings Grogu saw while Din was sleeping when they traveling through hyper space in last seasons Mando?

• Like 1

Well look at it this way, Sabine. If you're the worst Jedi who ever Jedi'd, there's nowhere to go but up, right?

I don't require Star Wars to offer me any kind of explanation for the logistics of this but I find it weird that Hera's kid is human except with green hair. I assume his father is fully human.

Super bold of Ahsoka to assume that her stunt on the wing of the ship would compel the enemies to focus on her rather than just blowing up the ship she was standing on. I didn't know "come at me, bro" was a legitimate usage of the Force.

Speaking of the Force (or is it The Force?), it is hilarious that Sabine is basically in the same position as Silent Bob in Mallrats. Put my coffee cup just out of reach from me and I'll be a Jedi Master in about fifteen minutes.

Edited by dwmarch
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

This one had less of a wow factor from watching these characters come to life but I still enjoyed it. The cast is really fabulous. 

The New Republic is still as incompetent as ever.

💔 at Jacen wanting to be a Jedi. 

I liked the moment Ahsoka stopped insisting Sabine use the force and started actually listening to her. Ahsoka’s, “That’s great. Now get me.” felt like something young Ahsoka would have said. 

18 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Are these big space whale creatures the same beings Grogu saw while Din was sleeping when they traveling through hyper space in last seasons Mando?

Yes. 

40 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Did Sabine just leave the cat behind? Who is taking care of the poor kitty?

Yes.

Mon Mothma sighting!  Always great to see her.  Still have to imagine that Genevieve O'Reilly never would have imagined she'd suddenly not only be reprising a character that she did over fifteen years ago (in films that, at best, had a "mixed" reaction at the time), but it would even be expanded upon and make her even a bigger fan favorite.  Between this and Andor, she should be set for a while!

Of course it is too bad that she's apparently surrounded by a self-serving council who mainly want to hand wave any potential problems and threats.  Granted, I'm not sure if Mothma was completely convinced either, but it seemed like she was at least listening to what Hera was saying and weighing the options.  The rest clearly weren't taking Hera seriously.  And then there is that one guy, Xiono, who is totally part of the new Empire, right?  And not just because he's played by Nelson Lee, who I can never trust after his turn as the Dragon King on Stargirl (even by comic villain standards, Dragon King was a piece of work!)

Good to know that every starship is equipped with helmets that have blast shields just in case someone needs to do some quick Jedi training on the road/space!

Always a sucker for a good old Star Wars space battle!  Ahoska literally going outside the ship as a distraction was pretty outlandish, but maybe even she got the sense that Shin Haiti couldn't help herself and try to take her out instead of, you, know, just blowing up the entire ship.  Ahoska's awesome, but I don't think even she has the reach to defend the entire ship with her two lightsabers.

David Tennant was clearly having a blast in the voice booth when recording all of Huyang's lines.

Only one Baylan scene, but any Ray Stevenson is a good thing for me.  I really will miss him after this. 

• Like 4

Yes, Luke in the Falcon. But also the TROS flashback, Luke and Leia in the forest. Yeah, making sense of things after the fact. I suppose that's what a retcon is. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Don't worry, Sabine, I wasn't great with the turret minigame either. KOTOR is a fun game, but not every part of it, you know?

Shin Hati continues bringing the crazy faces. Good work!

All in all, I enjoyed it. I've seen a lot worse, and a lot less fun out there.

7 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I don't require Star Wars to offer me any kind of explanation for the logistics of this but I find it weird that Hera's kid is human except with green hair. I assume his father is fully human.

Yes. We don't see a lot mixed species, so I would be interested in seeing others. Are the humans genes that dominant. If Ahsoka had a kid with let's say Lux, would their kid look human with blue and white hair or have orange skin? Either way I'm glad we got to see Jacen I wonder if he's force sensitive. 

Elsbeth told them to take out Ahsoka. She's a threat to them since it seems both Morgan and Baylon know she was trained by Anakin.  So the young Padawan is going to be the one to want take out a legendary Jedi. Baylon on the other hand seems like he really doesn't want to kill her. He probably wants her to join them. 

I liked seeing Sabine in Jedi training. Huyang being so brutally honest is great. Ahsoka coming from a long line of non traditional jedi is an understatement. Yoda was probably the only traditional one in their line. 

• Like 3

God I want to love this show so hard. But this episode makes me worry. What is even the point of shooting at a space ship with your space ship if 1200 hits don't do anything? And I wish they'd have shown the meeting where Shin returned to the mother ship thing and said "I almost took her out, dang it" and Balon and Morgan were like "Aw, no big deal, you blew up her ship when it was disabled, right?" 

"No, she was outside of the ship so I just thought we should shoot at her specifically."

Balon looks frustrated. "Wait, what? Get those other four guys you and Morok had in here, I want to hear their version."

"She lightsabered their ships and they're now dead."

"WHAT? Hang on, she sliced a fighter in half with her...what setting do you have YOUR lightsaber on, exactly?"

And also hated the whole "Now get me!" thing. Bitch, you have the Force! USE THE GOD DAMN FORCE. This is ahsoka Tano, the woman who froze Maul mid flight from that Venator cruiser in the masterful last moments of TCW. Would have been far more badass for her to use what's clearly serious Force powers to smash those ships together and then frightening off Shin and Morok. 

Dialogue is starting to trouble me, too. Like Filoni is getting a little high on his own supply. So many lines just sound like placeholders that a tiny tune up could improve drastically. "I wanna be a Jedi," for example. TOo on the nose.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uncle JUICE said:

And also hated the whole "Now get me!" thing. Bitch, you have the Force! USE THE GOD DAMN FORCE.

Yes, like Leia in TLJ! I wonder if some of the whinier 'fans' would have accepted Ahsoka doing it. Now, I like TLJ, but I'll admit that not everyone sees it like me. You could see it as Dave Filoni working elements from that movie into his own section of Star Wars. But no. Ah well.

1 hour ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Bitch, you have the Force! USE THE GOD DAMN FORCE.

I feel like we could say this in nearly every single Star Wars movie and episode that features a Jedi. 🤷‍♀️

I actually liked this episode a lot better than the first two. I think the premiere leaned in too heavily on existing material. A lot of tell rather than show. But in this episode, seeing Ahsoka and Sabine work as a team, you could actually see the history between them. The episode flew by.

I do wish they'd develop the villains a little more. Star Wars is famous for having evil characters who are evil for the sake of being evil, so it isn't a problem with this show, per se. We know Ahsoka was disenchanted by the Jedi order, so it would be relevant to the story to flesh out Baylon's falling out as well, but that's just me being nit picky. 

10 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Speaking of the Force (or is it The Force?), it is hilarious that Sabine is basically in the same position as Silent Bob in Mallrats. Put my coffee cup just out of reach from me and I'll be a Jedi Master in about fifteen minutes.

Bonus points if the time the Force actually "works" for her, it's actually just physics. 

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Mon Mothma sighting!  Always great to see her.  Still have to imagine that Genevieve O'Reilly never would have imagined she'd suddenly not only be reprising a character that she did over fifteen years ago (in films that, at best, had a "mixed" reaction at the time), but it would even be expanded upon and make her even a bigger fan favorite.  Between this and Andor, she should be set for a while!

This is the first time I think we've seen her post-RotJ, so now I'm actually nervous about whether she survives this series. I don't think she was ever mentioned in the sequel trilogy. 

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Always a sucker for a good old Star Wars space battle!  Ahoska literally going outside the ship as a distraction was pretty outlandish, but maybe even she got the sense that Shin Haiti couldn't help herself and try to take her out instead of, you, know, just blowing up the entire ship.  Ahoska's awesome, but I don't think even she has the reach to defend the entire ship with her two lightsabers.

This was all I could think about. One, this move was very Clone Wars. I remember Plo Koon standing on top of his fighter and I think there were a couple of battles on surfaces of ships throughout the series. And Anakin Skywalker's apprentice would 100% defend their ship this way. But also, yes, the ship was dead in the water with no shields. If it were a no-name Tie Fighter without plot armor, it would have exploded with a single laser bolt. 

23 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Yes, like Leia in TLJ! I wonder if some of the whinier 'fans' would have accepted Ahsoka doing it. Now, I like TLJ, but I'll admit that not everyone sees it like me. You could see it as Dave Filoni working elements from that movie into his own section of Star Wars. But no. Ah well.

Haven't they excused that Leia Poppins was special and unique to Leia because she was in the realm of Anakin and Luke when it came to wielding the Force?

• Like 3

Eh, I liked it a lot. Ahsoka standing on a fighter isn't exactly new except she did it in space this time, gambling on Shin Hati's ego - something Clone Wars Ahsoka would have done too. 

Loved the Purgill scene and Ahsoka asking Sabin afterwards if she was alright. It hadn't occurred to me that this was the first time Sabine saw Purgill's after Ezra's disappearance. But my favorite moment was when Ahsoka took in Huyang's warning during the fight - she realized that he was right, they wouldn't survive like this so she switched the power dynamic by asking Sabine 'What do you need?'

(Not worried about Sabine's Loth-Cat, we've seen them living on Lothal's steppe throughout Rebels. It's a cat - it knows what to do.)

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1

My feeling is Ahsoka didn't need to pull herself to the ship because Sabine was right there. Leia's was a desperation move that took all her remaining strength.

Until Huyang said it, it didn't occur to me that there was now this unbroken line of master and apprentice from Yoda to Dooku to Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan to Anakin to Ahsoka and now to Sabine. I had been so focused on the Yoda training Luke and Luke training others.

Edited by Fool to cry

Good episode but seriously, what is this trend that one episode is 50 minutes, next one is 45, next 35, next 42, etc? Can all episodes have some running time with exception of first and last episodes?

I don't know how I feel that now everyone can learn how to use the Force with enough training. If it really required "only" training, hard work and talent is benefit, why Luke just didn't recruited some people from Rebel Aliance and started training them?

I hope that this was last time I saw that lightsaber deflected fire from starfighter(I know that it was already in Rebels and Kenobi) without any impact on person deflecting fire.

In first two episodes I complained that they didn't mentioned that they could ask Luke for support, now I am little dissapointed that Leia wasn't in the meeting between senators and Hera. This is problem when they are hoping that no one will ask why Leia/Luke/Han/etc are not mentioned or present.

Why so far every plan require that opponent will be incompetent - first episode New Republic captain and this episode Shin instead of destroying ship is shooting on Ahsoka.

Sabine gets her "worst Jedi ever" sticker this week! Tough but fair, Tennant-Bot, your also certainly right about Sabine being the latest in a long line of very...nontraditional Jedi, which is probably the nicest thing you can say about a master/apprentice line that includes Darth Vader and Count Dooku. 

Awww Jacen is so cute, he really takes after his dad. How do inter-species genetics work around here I wonder, you would think he would look more like both parents not just a human with green hair. 

Nice to see Mon Mothma here, even if it seems like she's still stuck dealing with annoying rich politicians desperately trying to get things actually done, just like in the Empire. Hopefully she's at least divorced from her loser husband by now. 

Ahoska jumping on top of a space ship in the middle of a dogfight to wave her lightsabers at enemy pilots was so hilariously Anakin, I'm sure his force ghost was proud. The logistics are mindboggling, but it was so cool I don't even care. But, like, girl, use The Force

Love seeing the space whales again. I really hope we get to see Sabine's kitty by the end of the season, I'm sure the kitty is doing fine but I bet she could use a head scratch. 

• Like 2

The show isn't bad and it has all the ingredients to be an epic one. But I've found it disappointing so far.

There really isn't anything new. Jedi training and dogfights are Star Wars but we've seenthem before. Despite being thirty minutes long (not counting the credits) the pacing on this show still drags. Some of the performances aren't helping either. Ahsoka loosened up a little in those episode but Rosario Dawson is still playing her far too stoic in both voice and facial expressions. She is capable of more, as seen in previous appearances as Ahsoka and elsewhere, like in the Marvel Netflix shows. Though if Dawson is playing the character too stoic. Ivanna Sakhno has been downright catatonic as Skoll's apprentice, Shin. The Olson twin looking actress has wide eyes and plays her seen woth no emotion or energy whatsoever.

Also continuing one of my biggest problems with DisneynStar Wars is the portrayal of The New Republic. The heroes of tbe original trilogy fought so hard to defeat the Empire and rest the Republic, only for the New Republic to instantly become as inept and corrupt as the Old Republic. It further destroys their accomplishments in the original trilogy and makes Mon Mothma look like a shitty leader for overseeing this kind of comically inept government. This type of portrayal is not exclusive to Star Wars of course. Starfleet has been portrayed just as badly in the recent Paramount Plus Star Trek shows. Let me guess what will happen next....the heroes will defy the New Republic and do the right thing! Amazing, that has only been used about a million times in other shows and movies.

There is plenty I like

Huyang might be the best character in this series and I'm happy they brought David Tennant back to reprise his role. He's a blast and a great sidekick to both Ahsoka and Sabine. It's great to see the live action debut of Kacen amd the purgill as well. I've been very happy with with the transition of the animated characters, locations and concepts to live action. At least they explained what Ahsoka is doing woth Sabine. It's always been established that the Force resides in all living things and Ahsoka is attempting to extract that from her. Yeah, it's a REAL stretch but at least it's based on an established fact in Star Wars. The FX continues to be great, save for Ahsoka in space and the score is excellent. The extragalactic stuff is fascinating and the idea of going to another galaxy is very cool. I wish they would just tell the entire sequel trilogy to go to hell and just do their own thing. That is definitely something holding back this show.

I really want Ahsoka to deliver and I hope it still does.

14 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I didn't know "come at me, bro" was a legitimate usage of the Force.

Obi-Wan and Yoda were all about “Come at me bro.”

if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for Ashoka.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benteen said:

The show isn't bad and it has all the ingredients to be an epic one. But I've found it disappointing so far.

There really isn't anything new. Jedi training and dogfights are Star Wars but we've seenthem before. Despite being thirty minutes long (not counting the credits) the pacing on this show still drags. Some of the performances aren't helping either. Ahsoka loosened up a little in those episode but Rosario Dawson is still playing her far too stoic in both voice and facial expressions. She is capable of more, as seen in previous appearances as Ahsoka and elsewhere, like in the Marvel Netflix shows. Though if Dawson is playing the character too stoic. Ivanna Sakhno has been downright catatonic as Skoll's apprentice, Shin. The Olson twin looking actress has wide eyes and plays her seen woth no emotion or energy whatsoever.

Also continuing one of my biggest problems with DisneynStar Wars is the portrayal of The New Republic. The heroes of tbe original trilogy fought so hard to defeat the Empire and rest the Republic, only for the New Republic to instantly become as inept and corrupt as the Old Republic. It further destroys their accomplishments in the original trilogy and makes Mon Mothma look like a shitty leader for overseeing this kind of comically inept government. This type of portrayal is not exclusive to Star Wars of course. Starfleet has been portrayed just as badly in the recent Paramount Plus Star Trek shows. Let me guess what will happen next....the heroes will defy the New Republic and do the right thing! Amazing, that has only been used about a million times in other shows and movies.

If the New Republic was shown to be perfect and not have problems I wouldn't have believed it. I think unlike other media where the system is shown to be corrupt and can't be fixed, the Federation and New Republic are institutions that still have good, people fighting for it's ideals.

I want to like this. I really do. But I’ve never watched any of the animated series and I feel like you need a pretty solid understanding of ALL of them in order to follow this. 
I’ve read some of the novels (including the series on Thrawn ) but stopped when Lucas basically said none of it “counted” any more. (He honestly killed some/a lot of my passion for the universe with that. It felt like all the time and effort I had invested in reading the expanded universe novels was worthless)

I find it hard to care a lot about these characters bc there’s so many that I don’t know who they even are or how they fit and the few I am familiar with I only know the most basic info about not the extensive minutia I seem to need. 

I feel like the writers are expecting me to recognize every single character, no matter how minor, introduced and get all these levels of nuance bc of that knowledge and it’s not happening for me. 

it’s just a lot of work to be put in in order to be entertained for less than an hour a week. Maybe this show just isn’t for me. 

I love the space whales even if the make me sad bc things never seem to go well for space whales. (See: hitchhikers guide, Dr. Who, etc)

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

David Tennant was clearly having a blast in the voice booth when recording all of Huyang's lines.

This episode was the first time I heard Tennant instead of Huyang..."see if you can get a little clo-ser"

Poor Jacen and Hera after Kanan the last thing she'd want is for Jacen to follow in daddy's foot steps.

Uh, where was Leia? I know I'm going by Expanded Universe but, she was a major player in New Republic at this point...God, I hate those shitty sequels. After this I'm going to read the Zahn Trilogy again and, pretend the sequels don't exist. 

Good episode nice mix of action and drama...so great to see the Space Whales again. Of course I'm now convinced we won't see Ezra in the flesh (so to speak) until the season finale or worse S2.

I'm still not digging the Sabine/Force user retcon.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Haven't they excused that Leia Poppins was special and unique to Leia because she was in the realm of Anakin and Luke when it came to wielding the Force?

I haven't really kept up with modern SW, I don't know if anyone has said anything about it.

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Uh, where was Leia? I know I'm going by Expanded Universe but, she was a major player in New Republic at this point...God, I hate those shitty sequels. After this I'm going to read the Zahn Trilogy again and, pretend the sequels don't exist.

Leia! Looks like they don't want to commit to recasting her, so she gets to stay offscreen. Hopefully she'll at least be mentioned, her absence excused.

I don't really get why Ahsoka ever tried to train Sabine as a Jedi when she doesn't have the aptitude. I know she later said she was trying to train her to be herself, but why call it "Jedi" training? That only sets expectations that frustrate pupil and teacher and then damage her confidence when she has to hear about how lousy she is as a Jedi. Teach her techniques she can use without trying to call it anything. Isn't Ahsoka kind of anti-Jedi, anyway? She left the order and doesn't consider herself a Jedi. Why is she trying to make Sabine a Jedi? That's the one thing that keeps bothering me in this series. In this episode, I got so sidetracked by wondering this that I'm sure I missed stuff.

I do enjoy watching it, though. The Republic stuff is a bit frustrating because you can see it going badly, and yet it's also rather realistic for the way politics tends to work, when you have idealistic but naive facing off against utterly ruthless.

16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Not only that, but most of her scenes in Revenge of the Sith were cut. She only gets to talk in deleted scenes and I think only appears in the actual movie in the background of a scene. She went from getting mostly cut from a film to playing the role in another movie and three series so far (including voice work in Rebels -- did she appear in Clone Wars?). She's ended up with a career from a role that landed on the cutting room floor.

Is David Tennant just doing the voice work, or is there any mo-cap involved? I'm watching season 2 of Good Omens, and there are moments when Huyang's movements strike me as very Tennant. They also seem to have modeled his chin on Tennant's face.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I'm not sure I like the Jedi story with Sabine.  She seems to have zero connection to the Force.  Even Huyang said she's the worst "Jedi" he's ever seen.  But we have Ahsoka saying that everyone has the Force in them.  That makes it sound like anyone can be a Jedi as long as they train enough.  I'm not buying it.

• Like 1

Not for nothing, if Sabine held her own fairly well against the baby sith, she can't be *that* bad. And her opponent could use the force. 

Ahsoka has a fairly radical viewpoint if she's saying that everyone can use the force. That also could mean Ahsoka takes herself to the other galaxy with this idea.

Why does a droid need to blink?

Hera throwing *shade* and no time if you weren't in the war. I'm not surprised she doesn't have any time for politics and nice-nice. I don't either, and it gets me just as far. 

Ahsoka destroying a ship on a space walk is exactly what I wanted to see. 

Seeing the space whales just so gigantic really gives depth to the power Ezra has to be able to commune with them. 

14 hours ago, Anduin said:

Don't worry, Sabine, I wasn't great with the turret minigame either. KOTOR is a fun game, but not every part of it, you know?

I was pazaak shark. I cleaned up and always got the diesel crystals at the end. 

6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I think unlike other media where the system is shown to be corrupt and can't be fixed, the Federation and New Republic are institutions that still have good, people fighting for it's ideals.

Hera snarked about it here, but it was also brought up in Kenobi; plenty of higher ups don't really care who is running the show, as long as they're in on that running or benefitting from it. That's largely why you continually have the rise and fall of power in this galaxy imo. Taking the sum total of the franchise; it's largely a tragic story. 

1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

I know she later said she was trying to train her to be herself, but why call it "Jedi" training? That only sets expectations that frustrate pupil and teacher and then damage her confidence when she has to hear about how lousy she is as a Jedi. Teach her techniques she can use without trying to call it anything. Isn't Ahsoka kind of anti-Jedi, anyway?

I think that's the way the plot is going to go. "Jedi" seems to be used loosely here to me because Ahsoka does not call herself a Jedi. But that's the source of all the knowledge and training that she's trying to pass on. I think she's trying to either ask what is a Jedi? or re define what "Jedi" means. We all know, originally, Jedi meant 'ronin', so I wonder if they're trying to get back to that here. 

We should also note that this 'line of non traditional' Jedi also involved said line fighting and killing each other and turning to the dark side. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I'm not sure I like the Jedi story with Sabine.  She seems to have zero connection to the Force.  Even Huyang said she's the worst "Jedi" he's ever seen.  But we have Ahsoka saying that everyone has the Force in them.  That makes it sound like anyone can be a Jedi as long as they train enough.  I'm not buying it.

Yoda said much the same on Dagobah. And we saw Sabine starting to react to Ahsoka's strikes. Clearly it's working. Sure the Jedi wouldn't bother when they had more promising candidates, but the Order isn't a factor any more. I'm hoping Sabine does improve, learns to use the more in-depth abilities.

1 minute ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I was pazaak shark. I cleaned up and always got the diesel crystals at the end. 

I never bothered to figure out the rules. There were actual proper rewards?

I am curious about where they are going with Sabine and her training. The idea of someone who isn’t “force sensitive” but “one with the force” isn’t new. Rogue One had Chirrut. The idea that the force is within everyone isn’t new. 

I like that they are exploring facets of the force and the Jedi outside of what the movies have focused on. There is a lot more complexity to it all. This show has a wide range of force users outside of the traditional dichotomy of Jedi or Sith. I hope they are able to explore that with Ahsoka, Sabine, Shin, Baylan, Morgan and eventually Ezra. Maybe even Jacen at some point.

The movies have largely focused on the Jedi order being torn apart from within due to their issues rather than being true to the principles. 

Kanan also said something along these lines when he tried to train Sabine. And then he complained about her being so tightly wound up and Hera added something along the lines of 'You mean so Mandalorian'.

Given that very few Mandalorians ever joined the Jedi Order (and Sabine is a descendant of the first one) there might be more those observations. It's also interesting that Ahsoka insists that Sabine does not have to become a Jedi - just 'herself' - i.e. a Mandalorian. 

Just spitballing here - I would really like to get a flashback to what happened to Sabine and Ahsoka before. I guess that's where most of the answers to all the questions about Sabine and the Force can be found.

13 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Sure the Jedi wouldn't bother when they had more promising candidates, but the Order isn't a factor any more. I'm hoping Sabine does improve, learns to use the more in-depth abilities.

Without the inexorable, 'this is how we've done it for millenia', Jedi Order training, Ahsoka could also be thinking that Sabine might unlock unforseen powers. Even Ahsoka is constrained by her jedi training in a way Sabine isn't. That could be really interesting. 

18 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I never bothered to figure out the rules. There were actual proper rewards?

Besides winning money, for sure. Gear, weapons, etc. My Mandalorian was essentially a human tank. At the end, you have to beat a guy an insane amount of hands in a row, and you get to go into his black market stash where you get those crystals right before you assault the Star Forge. Heart of the Guardian (orange), and the Mantle of the Force. 

• Like 1

Ahsoka's non traditional jedi line were the ones questioning some of the ways of the order, starting with Count Dooku. The Jedi followed these strict guidelines and rules and didn't know how to think outside that. So I think Ahsoka is more teaching some of the ways of the Jedi to non force wielders so they can better protect themselves and others. She's taking away the membership only card and opening it to anyone that wants to learn. 

If the force resides in every living being than there is more to learn from every living being. Ahsoka was even trying to get Luke to run his new Jedi school differently by letting people choose to be a Jedi. 

• Like 2

Maul was an untraditional Sith ... He had a strong attachment to his brother.. almost convinced Ahsoka to defeat Sidious together until he accused Anakin of working with Sidious.

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Given that very few Mandalorians ever joined the Jedi Order (and Sabine is a descendant of the first one) there might be more those observations. It's also interesting that Ahsoka insists that Sabine does not have to become a Jedi - just 'herself' - i.e. a Mandalorian. 

I wonder if becoming herself means becoming a mandalorian or becoming not a mandalorian.  After all, for Yoda and the others feeling the force always was tied to relaxing your self control.  Have we ever met a relaxed mandalorian?  Sabine needs to become something new.  I think it’s her artistic side that needs to come to the fore.

• Like 1

I guess I have a different interpretation of Sabine's abilities.  To me it sounds like she has some talent with the force, at least from what Ahsoka is saying.  

Sounds to me like in the past her talent wouldn't have been enough for the order to admit her to training because they had higher standards.

"It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Ditto." - Yoda

The Force being in ALL living things goes all the way back to Lucas canon. But whether or how much one can wield its power depends on both a degree of innate ability, and much training.

I think discussions could be served by dropping "Jedi" in some cases and inserting "Force sensitive." All Jedis are Force sensitive. But not all Force sensitives are Jedi.

Sabine may possibly ("Probably." - Huyang) never become a Jedi. But with much work and training, she may be able to better access what Force resides within her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 8/30/2023 at 3:20 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Good to know that every starship is equipped with helmets that have blast shields just in case someone needs to do some quick Jedi training on the road/space!

If you look again, Ahsoka had a collection of neatly arranged Jedi weapons and accessories. Sources even geekier than me said that face-covering helmets are standard Jedi training equipment. Think the mushroom helmets the (RIP) Younglings had when training with sabers on Coruscant. So it's not surprising that she'd have such a masked helmet on hand.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:20 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

What is even the point of shooting at a space ship with your space ship if 1200 hits don't do anything?

Most if not all SW ships have some amount of deflector shields built-in. They can take a certain amount of damage before the deflectors lose power or are targeted and destroyed. It's a common trope of SW, Star Trek & other sci-fi media to have to re-route power from deflectors to weapons or light speed in a pinch.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:20 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

you have the Force! USE THE GOD DAMN FORCE.

The viewing public at large would be just as incensed - if not moreso - if EVERYTHING was solved by use of The Force. Because theoretically, everything could be. That'd make for a pretty boring show/movie/comic/etc.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, absnow54 said:

This is the first time I think we've seen her [Mon Mothma] post-RotJ, so now I'm actually nervous about whether she survives this series. I don't think she was ever mentioned in the sequel trilogy. 

She was a major player in Andor.

19 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

I’ve read some of the novels (including the series on Thrawn ) but stopped when Lucas basically said none of it “counted” any more. (He honestly killed some/a lot of my passion for the universe with that. It felt like all the time and effort I had invested in reading the expanded universe novels was worthless)

I'd like to think that George has been a whispering muse sitting on Filoni's shoulder since TCW closed shop. Mayhap George is so quietly unhappy with the sequel trilogy, that he's realizing how much gold there is in the EU/Legends in comparison.

But it's not his anymore. And he can't just come out publicly and decree, "The sequels are not canon, but now EU/Legends is."

In any case, I wouldn't let that spoil your enjoyment and investment in the EU/Legends. I only recently embraced it and it's made me feel so much better about all things that came after ROTJ. 

13 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Ahsoka's non traditional jedi line were the ones questioning some of the ways of the order, starting with Count Dooku. The Jedi followed these strict guidelines and rules and didn't know how to think outside that. So I think Ahsoka is more teaching some of the ways of the Jedi to non force wielders so they can better protect themselves and others. She's taking away the membership only card and opening it to anyone that wants to learn. 

If the force resides in every living being than there is more to learn from every living being. Ahsoka was even trying to get Luke to run his new Jedi school differently by letting people choose to be a Jedi. 

I love every bit of this. Particularly the bolded.

Edited by FierceCritter
  • Like 1

Yeah, even of they aren't "canon" all that matters is that you like the books. The Clone Wars had an entire campaign of comics, books and the animated shorts between Episode 2 and 3. That all got wiped away by The Clone Wars. But that didn't ruin my enjoyment of tbe original Clone Wars campaign. I have gone back and read those comics and still enjoy them. That's the only thing that matters is if you enjoy the. I wasn't a big fan of the post-ROTJ EU but after watching the sequel trilogy, I would take them over it because it at least treated the Big 3 with respect. 

I just hope this series can cut loose and embrace the fun. We don't need dour and stoic.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

To me it sounds like she has some talent with the force, at least from what Ahsoka is saying.  

I'm not so sure. When Kanan was training her on the dark sabre, he said she didn't have latent talent in the force. Granted, he's not Ahsoka level. 

Sabine said here - I can't use the force; I can't feel anything like you (Ahsoka) can.

I kind of hope not because I really like the idea that if the force flows through all living things, then you should be able to tap in. I can see why the order would take only the stronger people, and we're all on the same page here in our criticisms of the order, but this is a whole new philosophy. 

We really don't have a huge grasp on what Ahsoka has done since she walked away (aside from bounty hunting with Ventress which absolutely happened in my head); where she's been, what she's learned. 

Maybe Sabine only can force jump and run; push seems low level too, or finds a new talent that Ahsoka wouldn't have since we was order-trained. You're not getting to the level of lightning, projecting or healing maybe. 

1 hour ago, FierceCritter said:

Most if not all SW ships have some amount of deflector shields built-in.

And Ahsoka instructed Sabine to 'get on the deflectors'. You could see a lot of the blaster fire bouncing off the wings. That's why she went out on the ship. The deflectors were out and they were sitting dead in the water. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 2
22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Sabine said here - I can't use the force; I can't feel anything like you (Ahsoka) can.

I agree that Sabine doesn't feel the force but it seems Ahsoka believes she can manipulate the force, which is why she keeps talking about talent and practice.  Ahsoka would have no need to train Sabine to be a Force user/Jedi if she didn't believe Sabine had some connection to the force

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not so sure. When Kanan was training her on the dark sabre, he said she didn't have latent talent in the force. Granted, he's not Ahsoka level. 

Which is why I feel it's a retcon, although it seems they are leading up to a plausible reasoning.  Her connection to the force was blocked by Mandalorian training or her trauma from her time at the imperial academy. 

Similar to Cal's connection to the force being damaged after his Master's sacrifice. I haven't watched Rebels in awhile but, it's possible that's the same thing with Kanan. More recently, Grogu certainly seems to fit into this bucket as well. 

I think Sabine has minimal abilities with the force, someone the Jedi Order would have dismissed as being to weak of a connection to be trained in the Jedi ways. However,  Ahsoka sees her potential and is giving her the training she needs to become herself...not a Jedi of the Old Order

Rogue One had Chirrut. 

When Sabine was there by herself trying to move the cup, I started chanting "I am one with the force; the force is with me."  It helps that they've been running Rogue One nonstop and I keep coming in at the same part where Chirrut is going for the master switch.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I agree that Sabine doesn't feel the force but it seems Ahsoka believes she can manipulate the force, which is why she keeps talking about talent and practice.  Ahsoka would have no need to train Sabine to be a Force user/Jedi if she didn't believe Sabine had some connection to the force

Yes, I'm saying perhaps Ahsoka has a theory about that where Sabine is the test, so to speak. With no Order around anymore, maybe it's time to rethink our connection to the force. Sabine could be a whole new type of force user. In the movies, we've really only seen the 'traditional' Jedi v Sith. Ahsoka is the only one we know that walked away to not become Sith. Just walked away.