Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Hybrid Creatures

• Start Topic

Wow, that was one of the most wonderful journeys into weirdness ever. Love every one of the Island of Dr. Lazlo's creations and thought the ending was sweet. I like what they're doing with the pairings this season, with Nandor and Colin becoming friends and Laszlo working wtih Gizmo. Especially with Colin Robinson the cool teacher.

It's nice to think the creatures could come back as needed too. They're out there like the hell hound. Born Free indeed.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

All the Gizmo Creatures were horrifying. And hilarious. I liked that they got a happy ending and sent to live at a retirement home as emotional support animals.

And oh my god I loved the Vamps trying to be teachers. I would love to celebrate Nadja's version of Thanksgiving and acknowledging the onion. Colin as the "cool teacher" (complete with trillby) giving out condoms and rapping about Hamlet was the best. Also couldn't get enough of Nandor and his "nolej." Yeah, loved that a suitcase of his stuff ended up in a museum and how it viewed him as a loser.

It was great to see Kerri Kenney-Silver in this show as Helen "The Magic" Johnson. I wish there was more of her beyond trying to scam donuts and "crewlours" out of Nadja. (EDIT: I just learned that she's the daughter of Larry Kenney, the voice of Lion-O and how did I never know that until now?!)

We can add "Are you wanking?" and "If you're gonna go AND WANK" to the ever growing list of lines that Matt Berry makes amazing with just his delivery.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

All of the Gizmo Creatures were both equally horrifying but also kind of sympathetic and likable enough that I was glad Guillermo was able to find a way to avoid killing them.  I wouldn't be surprised if they make another appearance at some point, but being support animals at a retirement home isn't the worst fate one could have, I imagine.

The idea of the Vampires actually trying to be teachers was something that never occurred to me, so of course it happens and it ends up being hilarious!  Love that Nadja apparently has divided America into three parts: Hollywood, Texas, and Staten Island.  Hey, according to most television shows, she probably isn't too far off!  Naturally, Colin would use it as a way to get some of the sweet, sweet energy by draining everyone with his "cool teacher" act.  Did like how it ended with Nandor discovering how others view him from a historical perspective and it not going the way he thought it would.

The actress playing Helen did a great job at making her obnoxious and clearly just using Nadja to get more donuts instead of actually helping with the hex.  Apparently that was one hell of a Dunkin Donut store though since she would accept no substitution!

Honestly, I kind of suspect that any room is good for a wank in Laszlo's eyes...

• LOL 4
42 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

They're out there like the hell hound. Born Free indeed

Speaking of the hell hound, I thought of him when I saw the recent video of the bike thief who was loved up by a golden in a garage.  Definitely not a guard dog.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, loved that a suitcase of his stuff ended up in a museum and how it viewed him as a....

Don't say it!!

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Guillermo said that he doesn't want to kill innocent creatures.  I guess if he eventually does turn all the way (which I doubt he will), he will have to source murderers and other villains for food.

He's actively sought out virgins to feed to the vamps, so he might not consider any humans as all that innocent.

• Like 3

Sprinkled with sweetness! (see what I did there)…Colin making things right for Nandor, Nadja guaranteeing Helen munchkins for life, and Gizmo rescuing his Tod Browning cosplay gang.

Not sure I understand Nadja’s hex issue, but god almighty! Natasia is having a great time as the character.  The story of the school burning down, and the “Donut wench!” summons, and that last cheeky donut line…I was charmed right down to my socks.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Not sure I understand Nadja’s hex issue, but god almighty! Natasia is having a great time as the character.

It was The Guide bullshitting Nadja into becoming a better person and hopefully become her friend.

• Useful 3

This was a bit of a miss for me after the last few weeks, but the Gizmo creatures were about the most horrifying and creepy thing I've yet to see on this show. And that's saying a lot.

11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

It was The Guide bullshitting Nadja into becoming a better person and hopefully become her friend.

I don't know, I think it's a real hex. The Guide found that picture of that old woman, it's some ancient Antipaxos legend Nadja seemed to know about, and every time she tried to destroy the picture it popped back into place. I don't think the Guide was responsible for doing that, she looked just as puzzled as Nadja. I also think the show would let us in on the gag if she were, although maybe that's yet to come.

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This was a bit of a miss for me after the last few weeks, but the Gizmo creatures were about the most horrifying and creepy thing I've yet to see on this show. And that's saying a lot.

I don't know, I think it's a real hex. The Guide found that picture of that old woman, it's some ancient Antipaxos legend Nadja seemed to know about, and every time she tried to destroy the picture it popped back into place. I don't think the Guide was responsible for doing that, she looked just as puzzled as Nadja. I also think the show would let us in on the gag if she were, although maybe that's yet to come.

They creeped me out! 

• Like 4

Those hybrid creatures immediately made me think of the scene from O Lucky Man where Malcolm McDowell finds a half-man/half-pig in a hospital bed. Creepy, disturbing, nightmare-inducing. However, here it was nice to see them all at the end in the nursing home, being happy and making others happy.

Nadja instructing her students to blow kisses at the turkey and then acknowledge the onion was hilarious.

I also loved Nandor's spelling of 'nolej.'

I'd like some donuts now, please.

• Like 5

So maybe Guillermo only finds 'innocents' to be those who are related to/resemble him as he certainly has helped the vampires feed and to find victims for them.  I did like that the creatures/hybrid Gizmos found a home in the retirement home.  And, of course Colin audited college courses so he could more easily feed.

• Like 6

So Guillermo is able to turn into a bat now, although it looks like he still has his own head - it was kind of hard to tell in the brief shot we got of him. Still, it does seem like he is progressing towards total vampirism, albeit very slowly. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Nandor is completely and 100% my favorite. I love them all. Well, maybe not the guide, but Nandor makes me laugh out loud.

I loved that the amulet was really "a keychain given to me by my mommy."

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 8/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, Galileo908 said:

I liked that they got a happy ending and sent to live at a retirement home as emotional support animals.

Not sure it's going to be a happy ending for the residents of the retirement home when that one that makes atomic poops decides he needs to go again......

• Like 3

Not much I can add. I don’t think there’s just one museum for Staten Island history. It is funny that they got some of Nandor’s stuff and drew conclusions about his sex life. When Colin made the changes, was the Nandor mannequin wearing his “Dream Team” jersey?

Guillermo’s “children” need a nickname. “Guillermimals”? Creepy as hell, and letting them live was probably a bad idea.

Wondering why Guide was promoted to regular character when her appearances are few and far between. Also wondering what it takes to get banned from a “Dunkin.”

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 4
13 hours ago, festivus said:

The one little guy curled up in the old man's lap was just too sweet. I wondered what he was going to do with them but I did not guess retirement home. That was perfect.

Ugh, I thought it was all creepy. Hard to believe not one of them had the wherewithal to notice these weren't ordinary animals. And how long did Guillermo think they could hide them from the staff? Especially if they don't even understand what they are? Or maybe they do, and that was the point? That they are all so lonely they even welcome the companionship of these freaks of nature.

I think if you watch this show, you just have to accept that a fair amount of bizarre and/or unbelievable stuff is going to happen.  This season especially, it seems that they've really decided to push things.

• Like 7

The regular humans live in a world with vampires, werewolves, sirens, witches, trolls, hellhounds, and other various supernatural beings shown in previous seasons at the Night Market.  They have all seen something strange, wrong, slightly off, unusual, etc. in their lifetimes, probably more than once.  The ones who live near known vampire hangouts will also be aware of the unusually high number of missing people in their area.  For the most part, they have all chosen not to investigate these matters or just flat out ignore all the strangeness.  The Gizmo hybrid creatures would be the latest of many things those old people have witnessed over the years that defy explanation.  

• Like 3

Not a fan of this ep. I don't like the doll, so the animals were a hard pass.

The donut thing was weird and didn't make sense. Why woukd someone want 12+ donuts? She would have puked. I know it's a weird thing to focus on but it just seemed stupid to me. 

I did like Nandor spelling nolej but that was it. The school part was slightly better than the rest.

• Like 1

I was cracking up at Colin continuing to morph into the cool teacher and absolutely lost my shit at the Hamlet rap. That whole storyline was gold. I was slightly disappointed that he didn't sing Wonderwall though. 

• Like 6
On 8/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, sistermagpie said:

Love every one of the Island of Dr. Lazlo's creations...

Super-creative (like the show so consistently is). But yeah, it brought back too many memories of watching The Island of Dr. Moreau on the Late Late Movie when I was a kid. I couldn't laugh!

On 8/27/2023 at 3:38 PM, P2C2E said:

I was cracking up at Colin continuing to morph into the cool teacher and absolutely lost my shit at the Hamlet rap. That whole storyline was gold.

As a Sunday School teacher whose pupils are approximately sixty years younger than himself, I kept saying "Oh God, I hope that's not me."

• Like 2
  • LOL 2