Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I can't remember what it was I wanted to post here... although I do remember how much I enjoyed Ken's tie on Friday's game - it was this multi-coloured diamond-cross-check beauty!

• Like 2
On 7/12/2024 at 8:01 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t get why they needed first names for the first ladies (unless Ken said that when the category was announced and I missed it). Weren’t they all the only well known female persons with that last name?

I could see requiring first names for presidents who had more than one wife or where there was more than one president with that last name, but requiring it for McKinley was odd.

FJ was an instaget for me based entirely on the year.

On 7/12/2024 at 8:36 PM, Katy M said:

Wilson was married twice during his presidency, so there were 2 First Ladies Wilson.  Ellen and Edith.  I don't get McKinley, though. If the category were presidents they wouldn't have BMS'd for William.

Hell, they didn't BMS for President Roosevelt or Adams at least once in the past.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Bliss said:

I can't remember what it was I wanted to post here... although I do remember how much I enjoyed Ken's tie on Friday's game - it was this multi-coloured diamond-cross-check beauty!

ken.thumb.jpg.d86fead8201a3760d2063249fd395e0c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

July 15 (Only two weeks left!):

67% / 57% / 62%

Not the best start to the week...in J I ran "I" on History and Extreme Weather, missed two in From the Dutch and Good Afternoon, and three in TV Shows by Character and College in New England. In DJ I missed one in Fashion in Books and To the "Nth" Power, two in The World in 1776 and One-Word Song Titles, three in Fruits & Vegetables, and four in US Geography.

I was not at all confident but I came up with FJ with about 5 seconds to spare.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 6 + 1 DD; the archive seems to be down so I couldn't check, but I think I managed to keep track of 'em all.) I got Vermont, storm surge, Miranda Priestly, New Jersey, and methane (DD).

I kept thinking virtue signal and couldn't come up with anything else.

I got the missed clues of Vermont (of course), Miranda Priestley, and grapefruit.

I got the entire category of I history right.  I had a terrible DJ.  Terrible.  Awful. Horrible.

• Hugs 2

Not an instaget FJ, but I got there in time.

I also got the TS of Vermont, storm surge, Miranda Priestly, methane, Little Diomede, and New Jersey.

3 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Isaac surely meant Esther Williams and not Ethel Merman during his chat, right?

I hope so.  I was so distracted by the image of Ethel Merman in a water ballet that I had to pause the TV.  OTOH, her name is Merman, though perhaps she would be a Mermaid?

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I kept thinking virtue signal and couldn't come up with anything else.

Same here. Even though the topic was “words” (plural) I felt like they were looking for a single word. 

• Like 2

Archive game for me since the show is preempted.  I gave myself credit for mulberry on the belief the picture would have helped me, but thankfully for the rest I didn't need them.

I missed three in TV shows (I've only seen The X-Files and The Good Place, and cultural osmosis did not help me at all with the others this time), but had a decent first round otherwise.  I missed two in afternoon, but ran colleges and weather, and got all but indulgences in history and all but the Bruins TS in Dutch.

I only ran fruits & vegetables in DJ.  I got all but "Radioactive" in songs, but missed three in nth and two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, though.

I really thought bruin meant bear. In fact, looking it up after the show, I confirmed that it does. In fact, it seems to be the first definition, and it comes from the Dutch. If it also means brown, ok. But I wanted to hear it means bear!

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

I instagot FJ thanks to my NYU-grad, middle daughter's love of calling things "performative," which I have taken to doing on occasion too.
Has "NEWER WORDS" been a category previously, and, if so, what does "NEWER" mean? 
The OED dates performative to 1922.

I knew the TSs of Vermont, methane, and grapefruit. 

6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Isaac surely meant Esther Williams and not Ethel Merman during his chat, right?

😆🤣
Isaac's Ethel Merman is already on Insta: instagram.com/reel/C9dZcJsNRTy
So, maybe he isn't my internet son the same way as Matt Amodio, but Isaac Hirsch is definitely still my internet nephew.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Has "NEWER WORDS" been a category previously,

According to the archive, yes, several times, if you count "Newer Words & Phrases" as there's no reason not to.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Has "NEWER WORDS" been a category previously, and, if so, what does "NEWER" mean? 
The OED dates performative to 1922.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

According to the archive, yes, several times, if you count "Newer Words & Phrases" as there's no reason not to.

Just looking at "NEWER WORDS" words from: 

with the exception of "Northpaw" (coined in 1960) from Jan. 19 this year, all of these "NEWER WORDS" seem to be from the 21st century, or, in the case of the 1990-coined "World Wide Web," from within 15 years of the clue's being offered in the game.

This Monday's "NEWER WORD" is more than 100 years old.
Sure, to linguists, that's not so old, but I am left wondering if this clue was left over from the Merv Griffin era — just kidding, sort of, kind of. 
Maybe both "northpaw" and "performative" resurfaced as possible clues during the writers strike and are still kicking around the clue writers laptops?

"Performative" was an instaget for me, but that's just…

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

thanks to my NYU-grad, middle daughter's love of calling things "performative,"

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That was my problem, too.

I feel good that I am in the same group & that I'm not as crazy as I thought I was. 

Edited to add, I'm not into Jeopardy being moved to after 10.00pm in my area just for some political shit that can be seen on multiple channels if anyone is that interested in it. 

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN!

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Another archive game for me since it will be preempted tonight, so I can only hope Isaac responded to the 50 Cent clue correctly (Fiddy, rather than Fifty). 

This clue could not have been more meant for me if it had my name in it:

It's the CT in the WCTU, long headed by Frances Willard, but even drunk atheists admire Fran's push for voting rights & an 8-hour workday

The trigger TS surprised me, as did no one getting scribble.  Erika's "United Postal Service" response was something.  Maybe she meant UPS, which is United Parcel Service, but whether she meant UPS or the USPS, clearly neither one was named for a person.  She got nearly as many wrong as she did right, ouch.

I did very well in the first round, but couldn't quite run the whole thing; I ran TV and screen to stage, but missed one each in the rest (Left 4 Dead 2, Maryland, lungfish, and the Sami).

In DJ, I was terrible in authors, only getting Agatha Christie, but otherwise I did well.  I expected to also be terrible in diss tracks, but only missed two.  I missed another two in flags (I don't think seeing the pictures would have helped), but I ran trials and got all but the beard TS in leftovers and all but the Iolanthe TS in vowels.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Another archive game for me

The archive is working for you? I'm getting an error ("This site can’t provide a secure connection; www.j-archive.com sent an invalid response"). Wasn't working for me last night, either. I tried clearing my cache and using a different browser but neither helped. But https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ says it's up. 🫤

July 16:

67% / 57% / 61%

In J I ran Gills, missed one in Classic TV and On the Go, two in Distractions and American History, and four in From Screen to Stage. In DJ I missed one in Trial By Jury and Leftovers, two in British Authors and Starts with 2 Vowels, three in Diss-Track-Tions (the only ones I got were because I know from cultural osmosis that 50 Cent's real name is Curtis Jackson and Eminem is the real Slim Shady), and four in National Flags.

Had no clue for FJ.

TSes: (Did not manage to keep track of how many there were this time.) I got triggers, lungfish (DD), Roald Dahl (DD), and tuning.

Isaac was looking at a piece of paper at the end; I wonder what it was...

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Isaac was looking at a piece of paper at the end; I wonder what it was...

Don't they give them pencil and paper to work on their FJ wager? Could have been that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
(edited)
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The archive is working for you?

Yep, no problems.

22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

TSes: (Did not manage to keep track of how many there were this time.)

Two in the first round, three in DJ, and then FJ.

(And two of the three DDs were missed.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Thanks 1

FJ, I got nothing.

I got the entire category of TV right and Go wrong.

I got the missed clues of trigger, lungfish, Scrabble, Roald Dahl, and beard.

i felt bad for Erica. her nerves clearly got the better of her.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ, I got nothing.

I got the entire category of TV right and Go wrong.

I got the missed clues of trigger, lungfish, Scrabble, Roald Dahl, and beard.

i felt bad for Erica. her nerves clearly got the better of her.

I think Ken needs to slow down he could have asked Erica to be more specific. I thought Final Jeopardy was impossible.

• Like 1

As a gag, I actually guessed correctly for FJ.  I don't think I knew he'd been in prison, and I really thought I was just coming up with some funny response.  The only other famous prisoner I could think of was the Birdman of Alcatraz and I knew for sure that was wrong, so I stuck with my original gag response.  I was gobsmacked to see it was correct.

I also got the TS of lungfish, scribble, and Roald Dahl.

I kind of thought Waugh needed a BMS.  There was more than one who was an author.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep, no problems.

Weird...

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(And two of the three DDs were missed.)

I knew that because I actually got them both right.

12 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I think Ken needs to slow down he could have asked Erica to be more specific. I thought Final Jeopardy was impossible.

I don't know. I feel like there was quite a pause there before he said wrong, but I could be misremembering and also the clue said "two words."

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know. I feel like there was quite a pause there before he said wrong, but I could be misremembering and also the clue said "two words."

Yes, it asked for two words.

I like the new guy. Nothing wrong with Isaac but he seemed done. It looked like he was really fighting with his buzzer tonight. He almost forgot to pick it back up after his DD.

21 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Nothing wrong with Isaac but he seemed done. It looked like he was really fighting with his buzzer tonight. He almost forgot to pick it back up after his DD.

It also seemed like he didn't wait to be acknowledged when he answered after Erika got something wrong.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

We’re so old in our house, FJ was an instaget.

Timothy Leary was one of my pre-guesses for the category of 1960s PEOPLE, but I didn't know anything about that clue, so I whiffed it. 

I got the TS of beards.

ETA:
Isaac explains his FJ math error:
tvinsider.com/1144147/isaac-hirsch-jeopardy-loss-explained
Basically, as Ken alluded to at the start of the game, Isaac was tired. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Aw, Isaac was really growing on me. I was completely charmed by his Jeff Goldblum impersonation/story yesterday. But the one-day senator(?) seems pretty likeable, so I'm not mad at him. However it ended up, it was an exciting game!

• Like 7

FJ was pretty easy for me. 1960s, designed psychological tests? That couldn't be anyone but Timothy Leary.

"Manson" was a really weird guess.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA:
Isaac explains his FJ math error:
tvinsider.com/1144147/isaac-hirsch-jeopardy-loss-explained
Basically, as Ken alluded to at the start of the game, Isaac was tired. 

Thanks, now I understand why he seemed to be looking at his paper with a bit of confusion.

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Aw, Isaac was really growing on me. I was completely charmed by his Jeff Goldblum impersonation/story yesterday. But the one-day senator(?) seems pretty likeable, so I'm not mad at him. However it ended up, it was an exciting game!

Yeah, I liked him from the start and I'm sorry to see him go, but I liked the new champ, too.

• Like 5
(edited)
23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just looking at "NEWER WORDS" words from: 

with the exception of "Northpaw" (coined in 1960) from Jan. 19 this year, all of these "NEWER WORDS" seem to be from the 21st century, or, in the case of the 1990-coined "World Wide Web," from within 15 years of the clue's being offered in the game.

This Monday's "NEWER WORD" is more than 100 years old.
Sure, to linguists, that's not so old, but I am left wondering if this clue was left over from the Merv Griffin era — just kidding, sort of, kind of. 
Maybe both "northpaw" and "performative" resurfaced as possible clues during the writers strike and are still kicking around the clue writers laptops?

"Performative" was an instaget for me, but that's just…

Thanks for all the research!

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The archive is working for you? I'm getting an error ("This site can’t provide a secure connection; www.j-archive.com sent an invalid response"). Wasn't working for me last night, either. I tried clearing my cache and using a different browser but neither helped. But https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ says it's up. 🫤

That sounds like an error message from your computer security program. It checks all websites you go to, and rejects the ones that don't have the correct security. Maybe the archive site is a little outdated in it's security.

(I could have given a more techie comment with the right words - but I've been retired for a few years now, and the specifics have dribbled out of my brain.)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That sounds like an error message from your computer security program. It checks all websites you go to, and rejects the ones that don't have the correct security. Maybe the archive site is a little outdated in it's security.

Yeah, I was getting the same error on my phone and my dad suggested turning off wi-fi and trying it while using the phone data, and it worked then. So I guess it's something to do with my internet at home?...not sure how to fix it, though. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I sometimes get similar errors when the address comes up as http: rather than https: (which doesn't always show anymore) because my system always looks for the secure connection. Some browsers will give you an option of continuing anyway but not all will. You can try manually adding the https://www. at the beginning of the address line to see if that works. This has happened to me on sites despite using a recalled link successfully for some time. I have no idea why it suddenly changes (likely something on the site's end - changing a security certificate or something), but I have remedied it by adding the https: and then using that recalled link from then on.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, justmehere said:

I sometimes get similar errors when the address comes up as http: rather than https: (which doesn't always show anymore) because my system always looks for the secure connection. Some browsers will give you an option of continuing anyway but not all will. You can try manually adding the https://www. at the beginning of the address line to see if that works. This has happened to me on sites despite using a recalled link successfully for some time. I have no idea why it suddenly changes (likely something on the site's end - changing a security certificate or something), but I have remedied it by adding the https: and then using that recalled link from then on.

The https is there... 🤷🏻‍♀️

I also missed last night's show due to a storm-related grid failure, and have not been able to get into the archives. 

I am not getting the usual message i get when it's about a security certificate, so I wonder if it's just periodically crashing from a lot of people using it at once because they missed the show due to weather or pre-emptions?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I also missed last night's show due to a storm-related grid failure, and have not been able to get into the archives. 

I am not getting the usual message i get when it's about a security certificate, so I wonder if it's just periodically crashing from a lot of people using it at once because they missed the show due to weather or pre-emptions?

Were there storms on Monday? I've been getting the error since Monday night.

The answer in a crossword that I did recently was TSGARP, so FJ was no problem for me today! And an asterisk as well!!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

The show will be preempted again tonight, so I just checked the archive.  For a couple I had to give myself credit that had I been able to see the picture I'd have known (e.g. a key fob), but thankfully they weren't much of an issue.

I figured I was going to be terrible in cyber, and I was, missing three (but I did get the lurk TS, at least).  I missed another three in literature, so it was a rough first round.  I missed two in 6pourri and ran the rest.

In DJ, I was every bit as terrible as the contestants in opera -- Carmen was the only one I got, too.  I missed three in cinéma, and two each in education and history.  I only ran nicknames, but got all but Ghibellines in letters (thanks to my joke guess of hymnology actually being a thing, otherwise that would have been a two-miss category).

After two instagets in a row, I had absolutely no idea for today's FJ.

• Like 1

FJ was an instaget. Hate that book.

i got the missed clues of lurk and hymnology

I got the entire category of cinema wrong.

i didn't think it was possible, but I had an even worse DJ than I did the other night. The only category i got more than 2 right in was US place names.  And as mentioned I got a whole category wrong and only got the $400 in opera.  

• Like 1

Double Jeopardy was impossible. I ran Folky Where have all the Flowers gone was one my Dad's favorite songs. I knew Final Jeopardy immediately.

• Like 1

July 17:

77% / 50% / 62%

Did pretty well in the first round…ran States by Super-Senator, missed one in Folkie Era, Arresting Literature, and 2x3, and two in Cybertalk and 6-Pourri.

Not so good in DJ…but still better than the players did! (They missed 16, I missed 15.) I missed one each in US Place Nicknames, Education, and 3 Consecutive Letters, but missed three in Opera Heroines, four in Le Cinema, and all five in World History.

Had no clue for FJ. Never read the book and didn't know the character's first name.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 16!) I got lurk, 403 forbidden, Tombstone, Hymnology, and Figaro.

Today's game has 21 TSes (plus one missed DD). According to The Jeopardy Fan, the record for most Triple Stumpers in a game is 24, set in 2005.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1