Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't care enough about Hemingway to know he had multiple wives, so I did not get FJ.  I didn't even have a guess.  Oh well.

I hated reading Hemingway as a lit major. I don't remember knowing he had four wives (though it seems logical, given the reasons I hated his stuff), but some neuron must have fired when I saw "Hadley".

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea on FJ.

I recognized Martha Gellhorn's name and knew it had to be Hemingway.  

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

“This was easy if you remember that terrible 2012 film with Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman.”

That's why I knew her name.  Didn't watch the movie, but remembered it existing.

17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

TSs/missed DDs were Crazy Horse (not a true TS since the guys didn't get a chance to respond since Deanna was mistakenly credited with a correct response),

I was frantically googling during the commercial break trying to see if Chief Joseph had any connection to Little Big Horn at all.  I kept saying "that isn't right" to the cat.  Clearly the cat made sure it got corrected.

I did pretty well last night.  Got FJ and the stumpers/missed DDS of Crazy Horse, National Gallery of Art, Rijksmuseum, Captain Blood and venerable.  Ran Museums, Pirate, Latin America and 1990s Hitmakers, and got all but one clue in American History, Book Titles, Restaurant Hijinks, 21st Century News and Activists.

All I had for the British Prime Minister was "Hey, he's lasted longer than a head of lettuce!".

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I hated reading Hemingway as a lit major.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.  Although fortunately I only had to read Medieval and Renaissance lit for my major so once I got to college, I was free of Hemingway.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

How did Ken mistakenly accept "Chief Joseph" when the answer was "Crazy Horse"?

I don't know but according the venerable US Sun, he was "forced" to "halt the game" to correct it. 🙄 He corrected it at the beginning of the interview segment, not during gameplay. There was no "halting" of anything.

• Like 3
On 9/16/2023 at 3:47 PM, annzeepark914 said:

So, is everyone back playing Jeopardy now? For some reason, I thought a lot of the folks here were going to stay away during the strike.

I've caught a couple of episodes because I had the news on and didn't bother changing the channel when it was over while doing other stuff, but I haven't actively sought out the show to watch during the strike.

Edited by Moose135

I have no idea where the Antilles are or where Aruba is so I said Aruba.

I got the missed clues of Belmopan, turkey, economist, auctioneer, baobab, dog-tired and rural free delivery.

I got the entire category of Belize right.

Although it may look otherwise, I had a pretty bad game.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

September 19: Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!

image.png.a5c2c8a930163d06f575eb9492ac693e.png

80% / 67% / 72%

Pretty good J! round...ran May Day!, missed one in Asian Games, Fowl Play, Sounds Like Big Business, and Scrambled jobs, and two in Belize.

Not so good in DJ…ran Physiology and Super Troupers and only missed one in Mailed It!, but missed three each in What Could It "B"?, Fun & Games, and Phrases & Idioms.

No FJ tonight. Felt dumb once it was revealed.

TSes - 16 missed clues...J! had 7; DJ had 8 plus one DD…just when I was thinking there haven't been too many of 'em this week, too... I got 8 - Hapsburg, lifeguard, auctioneer, pediatrician (3 of my TSes were in anagrams, of all things!), villi, baobab, Parcheesi (not sure where that one came from…), and dog-tired.

• Like 6

So-so game today. Got just over half right in each round, but there were a few clues I should have gotten - like Citizen Kane - that I couldn't get from my brain to my mouth fast enough. Poor old brain.

Pretty consistent J round - no especially good categories, but only 1 bad one. TSs were Hapsburg, lifeguard and auctioneer - shocked that I got 3 in a scrambled category (I also got librarian), 2 more than the contestants.

2 good categories in DJ - I got 4 right in "What Could It 'B'?" and "Phrases & Idioms". TSs/missed DDs were Rural Free Delivery (DD), courtesy of Mayberry RFD, Boxing Day, baobab tree and dog-tired.

And got my second FJ of the week. First thought of St. Martin/Sint Maarten, but then thought "no, it's Puerto Rico". Yay me! So 2 for 2 FJs so far this week, and after missing the first 3 FJs of the season I've gotten 4 in a row correct. Of course I've probably jinxed myself for the rest of the week.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

The all-knowing wiki sez:

The Antilles is an archipelago bordered by the Caribbean Sea to the south and west, the Gulf of Mexico to the northwest, and the Atlantic Ocean to the north and east.

The Antillean islands are divided into two smaller groupings: the Greater Antilles and the Lesser Antilles.

The Greater Antilles includes the Cayman Islands and larger islands of Cuba, Hispaniola (subdivided into the nations of the Dominican Republic and Haiti) and Navassa Island, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico.

The Lesser Antilles contains the northerly Leeward Islands and the southeasterly Windward Islands as well as the Leeward Antilles just north of Venezuela.

The Lucayan Archipelago (consisting of The Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands), though a part of the West Indies, is generally not included among the Antillean islands.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 6

I actually got FJ last night!  It was not an instaget, though -- I had to think first of where they still speak Spanish, and then which islands are still territories.  I wrote it down, but wasn't confident until the correct response was revealed.

I also got the TS of turkey, baobab, dog tired, rural free delivery, villi, and Boxing Day.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Not such a great game for me.  I got only three ts's, economist, auctioneer, and dog-tired.  I knew St. Stephen had something to do with Christmas but couldn't remember just what.

Did not get FJ.  I was trying to think more about just where the Antilles were so didn't really get to specific islands. I  thought the Antilles were right in the Caribbean, so I learned something when I looked it up.

Luckily I got Monday's FJ so I don't have to worry about being skunked this week.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The Lesser Antilles contains the northerly Leeward Islands and the southeasterly Windward Islands as well as the Leeward Antilles just north of Venezuela.

Hey, maybe that means Aruba is in the Antilles and it wasn't that stupid of a thing to say.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I have no idea where the Antilles are or where Aruba is so I said Aruba.

I know where the Antilles are but don't really think of Puerto Rico as part of them so I did not get FJ correct.  Looking at a map, it turns out Puerto Rico is farther south than I thought.

It was a mediocre game for me.  Only ran 1 category - Belize; thank you, 6th grade social studies class for assigning me the then-British Honduras as a project.  I got all but one clue in Asian Games, May Day, Fowl Play, Mailed It and Super Troupers.

I did get several TS/missed DDs, though: Belmopan, Hapsburg, auctioneer, pediatrician, villi, rural free delivery, baobab tree and Parcheesi (a complete guess, that one).

• Like 1

I am so confused. Is the Second Chance tourney part of season 40?  Why do I not recognize any of the players?  One player said  Alex told her she played a hell of a game.  When was this???  He’s been dead almost 2 years.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I am so confused. Is the Second Chance tourney part of season 40?  Why do I not recognize any of the players?  One player said  Alex told her she played a hell of a game.  When was this???  He’s been dead almost 2 years.

These players were originally on in season 37. I haven't remembered any of them so far, either.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

Good J round today, but only a so-so DJ round. In the J round I ran "The Sporting News" and "B Minus" and got 4 in "The New York Knocks" and "European Vacation". In DJ I ran "Also a Postal Abbreviation" and got 4 in "The Real (White House) Wives of D.C.". Only 2 TSs/missed DDs - oats in the J round and Cosi fan tutte in DJ (my only correct response in the Opera category).

3 for 3 in FJ this week. Seems like it was an instaget for the contestants, but for me it was a total guess. Didn't see the movie but I seemed to remember some sort of controversy connected to Oppenheimer and since I couldn't think of anyone else I went with it - total guess, but it counts!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

September 20:

70% / 43% / 57%

J!: Started out badly but ended up not doing as terribly as I thought I would…ran Back in the Day, missed one in Name That Play, and two in Sporting News, New York Knocks (being a New Jerseyan, that category was fun), European Vacation, and B Minus.

DJ: Started out badly and didn't recover…missed one each in The Hand that Feeds You and White House Wives, two in Mickey's Mantle, three in "High" Notes, and failed both Also a Postal Abbreviation and Opera (but they also failed Opera, so at least I'm not alone).

I did get FJ, so at least there's that. I wasn't confident because it felt too obvious and it only came to me because of the movie. (Ken: "Who is Barbie..? Oh, no, Oppenheimer." 😄)

There were four TSes plus the DD in the first round, and six plus one DD in the second. I got Peace Corps (DD), The Glass Menagerie, and House of York.

[In case anyone else was wondering, this game was taped on August 17th; the movie came out July 21st.]

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

If you check out The Jeopardy Fan site, there are some write ups on the players and links to their original games. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, probably because I did see the movie.  Of course I second-guessed myself, but couldn't come up with anything else, so I stuck with my first instinct.

I also got the TS of Peace Corps, Glass Menagerie, oats, York, and Cosi Fan Tutte.  

I don't remember any of these people either, but I am finding some of the clues to be familiar.  This does not necessarily mean I remember the correct response, however!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I don't remember any of these people either, but I am finding some of the clues to be familiar.  This does not necessarily mean I remember the correct response, however!

Even during reruns, when I know I saw the game a few months ago, I don't remember the correct responses.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I believe all these players were in only one game so there is no reason for us to remember them.

Did not get FJ although I thought it would have something to do with the Manhattan Project.  I haven't seen Oppenheimer (or Barbie) so I didn't really think of him in particular.

• Like 2

I had to laugh with the Art Nouveau building in Riga last night--I was in Riga earlier this month, and was sure I'd seen that building.  Checked my photos--mine is not nearly as good as theirs, but sure enough...

IMG_2892.jpg

• Like 8

Not one of my better games, but not a total disaster. Got 4 in "European Geography" and "Chinese Food" in the J round. Didn't get more than 3 right in any category in DJ. Only 3 TSs - almond cookies (yum) and Henry IV in the J round and North Star/Polaris in DJ.

The streak is over - no FJ for me today. Like Rob I said Louis, but didn't think it was right. When the correct response was revealed I thought "I should have known that" since Sue and I live in the same city and I saw the team working on her at Animal Kingdom at Disney World back in the day. Sigh!

• Like 3

September 21:

70% / 67% / 68%

J!: Okay first round…missed one each in European Geography, 21st Century Bartlett's Quotations, Chinese Food, and From S to Y, two in Past History, and three in Soccer (not surprising…).

DJ:  Better than last night…ran Welcome to Fantasy Island, missed one each in Stars and Dogs, two in Mumbai, and three in Johnny Gilbert Goes Country and Past History.

I didn't get FJ…did a "shoulda had a V-8" head smack (not literally) when it was revealed.

TSes: (there were 4 in J!, 7 in DJ) I got Henry IV (which I just sort of threw out there and was shocked was right), almond cookies (also a guess; not a big Chinese food eater and I don't eat almonds, not even sure why it even occurred to me), Victorian, and Polaris.

• Like 4

It took me a few seconds to figure out FJ, but I did get it.  I think "large vertebrae" led me to the correct response, but if you had asked me, I probably would have guessed those bones were found way before 1990.

I also got the TS of Salisbury, Willie Nelson, Victorian, and Polaris.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I'd have walked away the winner of Wednesday's game because I'd have bet every single penny on that Opera DD and run the entire category.  I've actually seen Norma twice, in the same season, done by 2 different opera companies.  (Used to have season tickets for both the Baltimore Opera and the Opera Company of Philadelphia.)

On 9/20/2023 at 6:39 PM, ams1001 said:

These players were originally on in season 37. I haven't remembered any of them so far, either.

I thought one of them looked familiar last week, but it turns out that it was because it was the first day of the final and I had seen the contestant earlier in the week.

Fox 45 had baseball last night, so I had to record Jeopardy overnight.  Will report back on that game when I watch it.

• Like 3

J Bad...DJ Good!

Didn't get any more than 3 right in any category in the J round. Instead of a "C" in Literature I got a D - only 1 correct response. 2 TSs/missed DDs - King Arthur (DD) and sub flub.

Did much better in DJ. Ran "A Capital Offense" and "Do I Want That Named for Me?" and got 4 in "Compound Adjectives". TSs were Dnieper, teeth, dunce (a total guess) and work.

FJ was a big time instaget - said Handel before Ken finished reading the clue. Fireworks was the key to my 4th correct FJ of the week.

Glad Deanna won. I was fine with any of the 3 contestants in the final this week, but she was my favorite.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I said Beethoven.  because I didn't know.

I got the missed clues of lunch hunch, sub flub, Arthur, Baden Powell, Dnieper and teeth.

I got the entire category of Scotland right.

I had a fairly good first round, but DJ defiitely left something to be desired.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

J Bad...DJ Good!

What chicagofan said, but the other way around...

September 22:

70% / 57% / 62%

Once again, a decent first round and an indecent second (though not actually my worst of the week). In J! I ran Offal and Whales, missed one in School Rhyme Time, two in Scotland, and three in TV and C in Literature. In DJ I missed one in May We Quote You?, two in Ukraine, Stars & Stripes in Art, Do I Want That Named for Me?, and Compound Adjectives, and four in Capital Offence (I at least know where the Braves are from; I would have gotten Tallahassee if I was quicker to figure out that "Noles was short for Seminoles, but alas, I was not that quick).

I did not get FJ. I guessed Tchaikovsky, who wasn't born until almost 100 years later...

There were 4 TSes plus the DD in J!, and 9 in DJ. I got lunch hunch, sub flub, grotesque desk, King Arthur (DD), Dnieper River (just glad I didn't have to spell it), teeth, Dunce, Work is the curse of the drinking classes, and Baden-Powell.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

Once I heard & saw Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks live, with fireworks.  It takes a lot of skill to coordinate everything because the fireworks need to be launched before the notes they go with, so they will explode at the right moment.  

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 3

Not a great game today, but could have been worse. In the J round I got 4 in "What's in That Chip" and "Shakespeare - logues On". Got one of the 2 TSs - Louisiana.

Did about the same in DJ as in the J round. Got 4 in "A Place in History" and "White House Pets". 2 TSs - Elton John and the back 40. Bummed that I didn't get the Doobie Brothers - knew the song, but couldn't think of the group.

When I saw the category for FJ , I thought that I probably would start the week with a miss. But when I saw pair of scientists and 1953 i immediately thought Watson and Crick. So a good start to the week.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Noooo! Footballllll!!!

Angry Cat GIF by Kennysgifs

(picked this gif because I also had a doctor's appointment canceled this morning, just as I was about to leave for it, because the building was on fire !)

You should be able to see today's game on Youtube.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I did; found a decent video here. Little weirdness in FJ but nothing cut out. Would have watched earlier if I knew there was pre-football stuff on. 

September 25:

70% / 50% / 61%

J!: Not too bad...Ran Fix the Malaprop, missed one each in What's in the Chip and Shakespeare -Logues On, two in International Relations and Best Original Screenplay Oscars (very annoyed I couldn't think of Manchester By the Sea since one of my college roommates lives there), and three in US capital Airport Codes.

DJ: Ugh. Still better than my worst round last week..? Missed one in Farming Phrases and White House Pets, two in A Place in History, three in Lyrics, and four in Indiana and French Literature.

FJ was beyond an instaget. Too easy.

TSes: (J! had 2, DJ had 7, including both DDs) I got Louisiana, Justin Bieber (first Canadian to come to mind), and Back 40. Can't believe I couldn't come up with Elton John (was trying to sing the song in my head and ran out of time.)

Edited by ams1001
fix line break
  • Like 3
27 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I’ve usually had good luck searching for jeopardy today’s full episode on YouTube but the one that came up today weirdly went to some random stuff when it was time for FJ. Tried again and the next option went through to the end. 

• Like 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, even though it will always and forever piss me off that Rosalind Franklin didn't get the credit she deserved at the time.

I also got the TS of Louisiana, Justin Bieber (on a guess), Doobie Brothers, Elton John, and back 40.

• Like 7