Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Cleo and Christian-If two grown people can't discuss pending intimacy without embarrassment and awkwardness (for the most part), then that's a relationship not ready for sex, particularly with the trans issue.  I don't care for either of them now.  Christian is all showboat without a paddle.  He thought this would be "cool" and didn't consider Cleo's feelings and how easily she might glom onto him.  Indeed, in the preview she's absolutely gutted over losing whatever they had.  What exactly do they really have in common that she's so distraught?

Statler and Dempsey- I said it last night, Dempsey is a pleaser who probably struggles to say no.  Statler is a human bulldozer who tries to shoot down every reason not to move in together.  It wouldn't matter if it was Dallas and not Darlington; a week is too damn fast, and online does not give you enough information to jump in.  In fact, I believe you can have a great relationship without living with someone.  Why is that always the "goal"?

While above I thought Cleo bringing a friend was a cheap shot; here I hope Dempsey calls her dad or her boss and has them help her get Statler out of her home.  

Razman and Amanda-While I believe Razman sees a giant green card rapidly vaporizing, wow, Amanda is cold.  She's like an aging Mean Girl from high school.  She should never have come.  If you meet someone in a romantic place and have a fling, no problem (raising my hand here). Don't make it into more than it is, and if you can't handle it or are not ready, fair enough.  Don't play with people.  She is the female Christian.

On another note, I am so going to Romania and the castle.

David and Sheila- The Tourist Tax strikes again.  When I was in China, I would send my students into the market for me for this reason.  I think Sheila and family should have talked to the contractor alone before approaching David.  

Everyone else is just unwatchable.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I think Carmella was trying to be nice but for Tyray's own good she should have said 'I don't think it's a good idea for us to keep in touch since you've been so attached to my pics.'  Anything else is just enabling. It blows my mind that he's been able to fenangle some kind of twisted hope of being with this girl. I'm sure he thinks it's all worth it if he gets the ACTUAL Carmella. The delusion is real. Hopefully on the last episode we get something across the screen saying that after 71018439 attempts from Tyray with no response, he finally realized he would  never hear from Carmella again. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Craigcodybazhate said:

He shouldn’t ask. Man provides for women. Men usually don’t ask women what they are doing before they get married. But women always ask men what they do. What they are doing before they get married. 

What about bar tender at the bethel/sports bar? 

Huh? My husband asked what I did for a living in our first conversation (I asked him that too). We had long discussions about what our life together would look like after we married, including how to handle our careers. I’m not sure where you get this “man provides for woman” bullshit but that hasn’t been true for a very long time and even when it was a reality based stereotype, it was far from universal.

In other countries (also in vast swaths of the US) there literally are no jobs. I believe Sheila when she says she can’t find a job. It’s likely the guy who owns the local sports bar is also the bartender, the bouncer, the waitstaff and the janitor. 

Similarly, moving to a better area isn’t always easy or even possible. It’s likely that Sheila’s family helps her with caring for her son and she wouldn’t necessarily have that support elsewhere. She probably doesn’t have the money to move. And she may have to move very far to find a part of the Philippines that has jobs for which she is qualified. Poverty is tough in the US but it’s an entirely different thing in poor countries.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Huh? My husband asked what I did for a living in our first conversation (I asked him that too). We had long discussions about what our life together would look like after we married, including how to handle our careers. I’m not sure where you get this “man provides for woman” bullshit but that hasn’t been true for a very long time and even when it was a reality based stereotype, it was far from universal.

In other countries (also in vast swaths of the US) there literally are no jobs. I believe Sheila when she says she can’t find a job. It’s likely the guy who owns the local sports bar is also the bartender, the bouncer, the waitstaff and the janitor. 

Similarly, moving to a better area isn’t always easy or even possible. It’s likely that Sheila’s family helps her with caring for her son and she wouldn’t necessarily have that support elsewhere. She probably doesn’t have the money to move. And she may have to move very far to find a part of the Philippines that has jobs for which she is qualified. Poverty is tough in the US but it’s an entirely different thing in poor countries.

It’s not bullshit. It’s got nothing to do with what a woman can do. You are looking way too much into it. I’m giving you where I’m coming from as a man. I’m a man. I would never ask a woman what is she going to provide. I always will provide for a woman. I have the opinion that a man should always provide for a woman regardless. A man should have a job. A man shouldn’t sit on his ass not working. I was raised to always be able to provide. I’ve asked what a woman does. People ask what do you do for work? So what do you do? 

But a marriage can be two people contributing. But the man should provide. A man should always provide for his wife. For woman. And I don’t care what anyone says. I will always think that way. 

Just now, Craigcodybazhate said:

It’s not bullshit. It’s got nothing to do with what a woman can do. You are looking way too much into it. I’m giving you where I’m coming from as a man. I’m a man. I would never ask a woman what is she going to provide. I always will provide for a woman. I have the opinion that a man should always provide for a woman regardless. A man should have a job. A man shouldn’t sit on his ass not working. I was raised to always be able to provide. I’ve asked what a woman does. People ask what do you do for work? So what do you do? 

But a marriage can be two people contributing. But the man should provide. A man should always provide for his wife. For woman. And I don’t care what anyone says. I will always think that way. 

I will always support whatever a woman wants to do. But she will always have providing from me. 

David can’t be the big dog and flinch at 1,700 that’s nothing. He can help. At least give a $1,000. 

She’s poor she doesn’t have it. He can fix it and pay for it. 

so when he had that look on his face. Come on. You can pay for it. 

1 hour ago, Craigcodybazhate said:

I will always support whatever a woman wants to do. But she will always have providing from me. 

David can’t be the big dog and flinch at 1,700 that’s nothing. He can help. At least give a $1,000. 

She’s poor she doesn’t have it. He can fix it and pay for it. 

so when he had that look on his face. Come on. You can pay for it. 

$1700 might as well be a million if you don’t have it. It’s not a lot of money for some people but for others, it really is a king’s ransom. I’m not saying David can’t borrow it or earn it over time or whatever, but I totally believe that it’s a lot of money for him and he maybe doesn’t have it in cash right now. I think it’s reasonable for him to want Sheila to understand the reality of his finances. He makes probably about $20 an hour. As he said, he can cover his bills but he doesn’t really have a lot of extra and he lives a pretty modest life.

I don’t have a problem at all with David helping Sheila and her family. It’s maybe a significant amount of money to him but it’s a nearly impossible sum for her. I believe he loves her and wants to help. As Drogo noted, it will be life-changing for  her and it’s not really a life-altering sum in the US. But that doesn’t mean David should just go all in without having a more substantive conversation with her about it. And I definitely think that if they are going to have a future together, she needs to understand the reality of his financial life - and that reality is that he can’t just drop $1700 every time she asks, no matter how good her reason is for asking.

As for “man should provide” - you’re certainly entitled to your opinion as a man. One man. One person. If traditional roles of a man providing financially works for you and your partner, great. But one is not less of a man if he doesn’t bring an income. There are plenty of guys out there who are excellent stay at home dads and their wives provide financially. They aren’t “lesser men.” They are just doing what works for their families. I chafe at judgment of them or the belief that they are somehow “less manly.” I’m not a fan of gender stereotypes.

12 minutes ago, Craigcodybazhate said:

The contractor saw a white man and said let me give them expensive estimate. 

Yeah - I don’t think that was a great negotiating strategy. I’d have kept David behind closed doors while he was working up the estimate.

• Like 12

If the contractor was imposing an American tax I think it would have been much more.  He was basically rebuilding the house for under $2000 which even in the Philippines I bet is a reasonable price.  I don’t think it would have been $180 if David wasn’t there.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t be shelling out $1,700 for those “repairs” I’d try to look for other options. 

The place has been & continues to be destroyed time after time from typhoons & other natural disasters. I wouldn't invest in a home next to a volcano in Hawaii,A major fault line in California, So why would i invest  in one in the path of typhoons? 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

I wouldn’t be shelling out $1,700 for those “repairs” I’d try to look for other options. 

The place has been & continues to be destroyed time after time from typhoons & other natural disasters. I wouldn't invest in a home next to a volcano in Hawaii,A major fault line in California, So why would i invest  in one in the path of typhoons? 

But it is the only place they know.  Especially if Sheila and her son were to move to America, she would want her father to be in the community where he knew people.  Not to mention the cost of living somewhere less prone to problems.  

• Like 5

We are of the same mind @Elizzikra  additionally- taking time off from work and taking this trip has cost David a lot of his discretionary income. I bet her worked overtime for months to save up (flight, hotel, money to take them out AND covering all his bills at home the 3 weeks he wasn’t working). 

Also, if he and Sheila do want to become engaged and apply for a K-1, David will have to cover all of those fees and airfare for her and her son. 

I think David does want to help, but it’s not as if he won’t miss that money for himself. He’s been sending her money for months, I don’t think it’s the helping her, it’s making sure she understands his financial situation. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Because there is no place on the 7000 islands that is out of the paths of typhoons and even if there was another island which blocked mother nature would he speak the local dialect there?   Nations don't allow Filipinos to just come, it takes time and a reason to allow them to immigrate. And assuming Sheila and her son come as a spouse family reunions take even more time, possible the remainder of the father's life expectancy in this particular case 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

If the contractor was imposing an American tax I think it would have been much more.  He was basically rebuilding the house for under $2000 which even in the Philippines I bet is a reasonable price.  I don’t think it would have been $180 if David wasn’t there.

I agree that I was expecting it to be jacked up even higher. However, I think he did add a bit---maybe just $100-200. I don't know how much workers in that region earn per week, but I am guessing it is much, much less than that, so even $100 is maybe a month's salary. Imagine if you could tack on an extra month of your salary once in a while. Sheila mentioned that $800 was a lot, enough to get a condo.

Also, remember, this was his "estimate" for supplies plus labor. I wonder how common it is once they tear that shanty down and start the work that suddenly they need more supplies, more men, etc, seeing how far they can stretch the American boyfriend's wallet. That contractor was grinning from ear to ear as he kept saying how lucky Sheila is...yeah, there was some grift. 

They should have had the conversation off camera about finances before getting the estimate and if I were David, I damn well would have chatted with the producers to see what if anything TLC can either kick in to help, given they are using her mother's death to get some ratings, or at least advance him the $$ for his episodes this season so that he can handle this before he flies out. 

Edited by Stuckathome
  • Like 4
19 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Razman and Amanda- She is the female Christian.

Amanda as the female Christian is the perfect description.  And I’m with you, Romania looks amazing and I’d love to visit.  Sucks she can’t get excited about one single thing in his country.  He’s shown her lots of beautiful and different places and she’s looked down her nose at every one.  Ugh.

Edited by Booger666
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

He’s shown her lots of beautiful and different places and she’s looked down her nose at every one.  Ugh.

To be fair. she has to look down her nose as there are strings of hair blocking any other direction she looks.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
21 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

$1700 might as well be a million if you don’t have it. It’s not a lot of money for some people but for others, it really is a king’s ransom. I’m not saying David can’t borrow it or earn it over time or whatever, but I totally believe that it’s a lot of money for him and he maybe doesn’t have it in cash right now. I think it’s reasonable for him to want Sheila to understand the reality of his finances. He makes probably about $20 an hour. As he said, he can cover his bills but he doesn’t really have a lot of extra and he lives a pretty modest life.

I don’t have a problem at all with David helping Sheila and her family. It’s maybe a significant amount of money to him but it’s a nearly impossible sum for her. I believe he loves her and wants to help. As Drogo noted, it will be life-changing for  her and it’s not really a life-altering sum in the US. But that doesn’t mean David should just go all in without having a more substantive conversation with her about it. And I definitely think that if they are going to have a future together, she needs to understand the reality of his financial life - and that reality is that he can’t just drop $1700 every time she asks, no matter how good her reason is for asking.

As for “man should provide” - you’re certainly entitled to your opinion as a man. One man. One person. If traditional roles of a man providing financially works for you and your partner, great. But one is not less of a man if he doesn’t bring an income. There are plenty of guys out there who are excellent stay at home dads and their wives provide financially. They aren’t “lesser men.” They are just doing what works for their families. I chafe at judgment of them or the belief that they are somehow “less manly.” I’m not a fan of gender stereotypes.

Yeah - I don’t think that was a great negotiating strategy. I’d have kept David behind closed doors while he was working up the estimate.

I’m totally all for whatever Gender role you like. I’m just saying me personally I’m gonna make sure I provide for a woman. I can still do stay at home duties if she wants to still work while at the same time providing her things for support. I’m all for that. I have a rule with women she should always have a voice. What she says goes. She’s the boss and that’s how we do it. I’ve always embraced more of a feminist mindset. If she wants to go work go right ahead and work. But I always want to make sure I’m contributing. I can’t look at myself as a man asking a woman for any money. Asking a woman for some money that’s just me. I pay at dinner and can’t let her pay. Even when a woman has paid for dinner it was a challenge to have me allow her to. 

as for stay at home duties I e taking the kids to school stuff like that. I can still do that while providing financially taking kids to little league recitals ballet all that. Whatever she needs I’m there for support.  

I just look at it as I want a woman to know she’s always got support and it’s a team game. 

On 8/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, Stuckathome said:

Amanda---holy hell, what a stone cold bitch. Watching her as she kept applying layer after layer of makeup (curious what others thought of the long camera shots lingering on her makeup bag)

Yes, and the constant pans to Ravzan's hands when he was talking to producers was odd as well. The need to up their game when interviewing outside of the set up interview sessions. 

on her very plain basic girl face and being so cold just affirmed what many said. She had zero real feelings for Razvan. She just seems so stunted, it was like listening to, you know, like a teenage girl, like talk about the boy in class who like, TOTALLY thought he had a shot with her, but she had to tell him as if.

I heard Amanda's mother was a drug addict and she had a really dysfunctional upbringing-- grew up super poor. I think that's why she seems stunted and really immature. Plus, didn't she work at Hooters? That place you are required to wear make-up, and lots of it, so I just think that is what Amanda knows to do/is normal. She has the typical Hooter girl story, IMO. 

I LOL'd when she mentioned how when she met Jason, he was just a manager at a restaurant, but he stepped it up to provide for her. OK, so you want a provider for you and the kids. Next breath, talking about how she takes care of herself and her kids, her bills are paid thank you very much, and she isn't about to bankroll Razvan's pipe dream (dont' fault her there). Ok, so which is it? Strong, independent mama or sugar baby?

I think her point was that she didn't need Razvan to pay her bills/support her, and he shouldn't need her to support him either. BUT, if he was going to move in and be part of their family, she would expect him to prioritize supporting/providing for them, which I think is a fantastic expectation. I think that when the had their private talk, Razvan expressed that he would not be looking for a job, and expecting Amanda to support him while he worked on his art/music. She was like, hell no. 

Girl, you are NOT that cute or special. I think she gets off on playing with his emotions and having a guy lust after her. 

She's very pretty, and unlike some of the other women on this show, she's very chill. Doesn't add ridiculous, pout, cry, yell, scream, etc. She really doesn't show much emotion at all, except to scoff, smirk, or snicker-- extremely quickly-- but then in seconds returns to blank face. Not great TV, but a guys dream girl. 

Edited to add: I think Razvan was just using her for a green card and thought this show would help launch his "career" in the US. His tears were faker than fake. So she definitely is dodging a bullet there, but she is no prize. "maybe we are both just broken." Honey, quit trying to make this into some epic romance that couldn't overcome the obstacles. He was a vacation fuck (finally). And how edited is this crap? They are rolling around in bed, supposedly the morning after the marathon sex session, he says let's get ready to go see the castly. And.....she is wearing the same hideous leggings at the castle as she did in bed. 

I think she has some body dysmorhpia. She is always hiding her legs. She had the exact same look every single day. 

Tyree that was just painful to watch. Am curious how much they paid "Carmella" to appear. And she looked a LOT larger in real life than in those pics....she showed up in a track suit? I was expecting the full escort glam look for a tv appearance. And girl is that blind that she needed glasses to see a huge guy sitting two feet away? I think he was dragging this out to play up his pitiful story to get a spot on single life. He was so tongue tied and awkward with her.....THAT is a reason you are single, not just your weight. But, he will blame his weight and how females are just so superficial as a reason and not own the fact that he is just socially stunted. 

He is so naive, sheltered, and ignorant. His face when he has to think or has a thought-- he looks like he is about to cry or throw up.

David and Sheila. That contractor jacked up the price as soon as he saw David and heard American. And still, considering all the work to be done, it isn't a lot. But I am guessing DAvid has spent most of all his savings on this trip and yeah, when you earn minimum wage, it takes those two jobs to just stay afloat and it takes time to build up savings. I am sure he could float it somehow, which is what he should have said to her. Does he not realize even if she gets a job, she will earn pennies a day. It did seem a little cold when Sheila made the comment about not wanting to die poor and now she had doubts he could be a provider. I get her point, but let's not pretend there are wealthy dudes lining up for her. There is no end to young beautiful women in her country who are lined up for the same thing....sad but true. I do hope they can work it out because I think she does care for David. 

David is deaf, so he gets a little extra money in social security, but he's still poor. I was pretty surprised that David has such low-paying jobs, I think he could do more, but maybe with his disability he is scared to try.

Cleo and Christian---holy hell, what was that mess? I sort of believe douchebag here. I can totally see him checking in with her to confirm what she told producers so that he didn't overshare. She kept saying he was denying they were intimate. I never heard that---he said there was intimacy. He just didnt' specify what type. I think she overreacted and WTF with bringing a friend. To me that sort of rings of when a person is fearful for their safety they bring a friend along. So I also see his perspective that it was hella awkward to have her friend sit there and listen to this discussion. Every other word out of Cleo's mouth is autism or autistic. Then again, I def saw red flags with the way Christian twisted the conversation into him being the victim and made her end up apologizing. What a mess. 

It's tough out there for anyone single, but it must be extra extra hard if you are trans. She seems so desperate and emotional. My guess is she's been through some pretty horrible experiences with relationships. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

She's very pretty, and unlike some of the other women on this show, she's very chill. Doesn't add ridiculous, pout, cry, yell, scream, etc. She really doesn't show much emotion at all, except to scoff, smirk, or snicker-- extremely quickly-- but then in seconds returns to blank face. Not great TV, but a guys dream girl. 

Which guy's dream girl shows no emotion besides scoffing/smirking/snickering?  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 8/14/2023 at 2:59 PM, AR Traveler said:

Cleo and Christian-If two grown people can't discuss pending intimacy without embarrassment and awkwardness (for the most part), then that's a relationship not ready for sex, particularly with the trans issue.  I don't care for either of them now.  Christian is all showboat without a paddle.  He thought this would be "cool" and didn't consider Cleo's feelings and how easily she might glom onto him.  Indeed, in the preview she's absolutely gutted over losing whatever they had.  What exactly do they really have in common that she's so distraught?

Statler and Dempsey- I said it last night, Dempsey is a pleaser who probably struggles to say no.  Statler is a human bulldozer who tries to shoot down every reason not to move in together.  It wouldn't matter if it was Dallas and not Darlington; a week is too damn fast, and online does not give you enough information to jump in.  In fact, I believe you can have a great relationship without living with someone.  Why is that always the "goal"?

While above I thought Cleo bringing a friend was a cheap shot; here I hope Dempsey calls her dad or her boss and has them help her get Statler out of her home.  

Razman and Amanda-While I believe Razman sees a giant green card rapidly vaporizing, wow, Amanda is cold.  She's like an aging Mean Girl from high school.  She should never have come.  If you meet someone in a romantic place and have a fling, no problem (raising my hand here). Don't make it into more than it is, and if you can't handle it or are not ready, fair enough.  Don't play with people.  She is the female Christian.

David and Sheila- The Tourist Tax strikes again.  When I was in China, I would send my students into the market for me for this reason.  I think Sheila and family should have talked to the contractor alone before approaching David.  

Everyone else is just unwatchable.

Bucket list for me!  

Statler gives me the heebie jeebies with her barnacle personality.  In my opinion, Dempsey needs to get her out earlier rather than later or it's never happening.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

The wonderful thing is we can all seek out relationships that fill our needs and let others do the same.

Like the fish say, there are plenty of other people on the beach.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Statler admitting she is still in contact with her ex and is a cheater may have permanently sealed the deal for Dempsey to not trust her or have her move in. Let's hope. 

I have to laugh how Statler was bragging about how many women she sleeps with in one night and has no problem getting sex but to me she appears to have no game at all. She's too desperate to hook up with someone she barely knows. That's not how a player plays. 

• Like 7

Last resort looked good. I think YARA and Jovi should not be on there. 

they look like they are fine. 

Owswalla and Kalani look like a train wreck. They look like they have no chemistry. 

and Angela is just angry. 

Molly looks like a drill Sergent over Kelly. 

Does anybody think that TLC is a little responsible for this????? All the walking up and down the stairs crew David that’s all that walking on those stairs. 

That place looked like shit she should’ve been downstairs. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Craigcodybazhate said:

Last resort looked good. I think YARA and Jovi should not be on there. 

they look like they are fine. 

Owswalla and Kalani look like a train wreck. They look like they have no chemistry. 

and Angela is just angry. 

Molly looks like a drill Sergent over Kelly. 

Does anybody think that TLC is a little responsible for this????? All the walking up and down the stairs crew David that’s all that walking on those stairs. 

There is a separate thread for that show.  

• Like 3
On 8/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, bichonblitz said:

Statler admitting she is still in contact with her ex and is a cheater may have permanently sealed the deal for Dempsey to not trust her or have her move in. Let's hope. 

I have to laugh how Statler was bragging about how many women she sleeps with in one night and has no problem getting sex but to me she appears to have no game at all. She's too desperate to hook up with someone she barely knows. That's not how a player plays. 

Gross

• Like 2

TLC is fishing for a lot of story with this season. Tyree is TV gold. Unlike Ceaser who came off as very cocky and arrogant. Tyree seems like a very likable guy. Just pure comedic genius when he gets in the car and can’t close the door or put the seat up something like that it was just funny. 

On 8/14/2023 at 12:47 PM, Elizzikra said:

I was surprised that no one mentioned that Razhvan was planning to come to the US, at least at first, on a tourist visa. He won’t be allowed to work.

Doesn’t Amanda watch this show and realize that even if he came on a K1 visa and they married, he still couldn’t work in the US until he got a green card. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

Doesn’t Amanda watch this show and realize that even if he came on a K1 visa and they married, he still couldn’t work in the US until he got a green card. 

Add it to the list of things she doesn’t realize.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Add it to the list of things she doesn’t realize.

#432 Razvan can’t become a pilot while he’s on the plane to the US 

#433 Ponytails are called that because they look like a pony’s tail. Ponies do not pull random strands of hair in their tails forward/sideways.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
8 hours ago, Drogo said:

#433 Ponytails are called that because they look like a pony’s tail. Ponies do not pull random strands of hair in their tails forward/sideways.

But you know they would if they could…

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I would contribute to a house fund for Sheila’s family. Hopefully she is able to use this tv exposure for some good, or at least use her tlc money for it. I don’t know how/when they get paid but at the very least tlc should advance her her money (they really could just pay it, $1700 is so little to them. Just skip comping a few dinners or something. I’m sure stuff was planned that didn’t happen due to her moms death)

• Like 6

Miss Mandy....popped that only one previous lover widow cherry with a total hottie...as planned. He was no Jason in bed, or in any other way, so she's leaving him to drown in a river of tears. Dudes ego is crushed into dust, along with his American dream. A tale as old as time...

Chris says they went to bases and moves his hands like he's playing "tune in tokyo" to let us know he awkwardly fondled Cleos boobs. I definitely felt like he was trying to make it out like there was only above the waste action (for her anyway). There seems to be zero chemistry or affection between them. Wish he'd go home.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:02 AM, bravofan27 said:

David is deaf, so he gets a little extra money in social security, but he's still poor. I was pretty surprised that David has such low-paying jobs, I think he could do more, but maybe with his disability he is scared to try.

If you earn money through working, SSDI and SSI payments can be reduced depending on your income, all the way to zero.  Makes sense, since the payments are for people who can't work because of their disability.

He said he makes $800/week, which is over $40,000/year.  I'd be shocked if income like that didn't put him over the threshold.

On 8/14/2023 at 1:02 PM, The Pearl said:

Many have mentioned Cleo's "odd" accent.  To me, she speaks like a hearing impaired person.  I can't explain it any better than that. 

This is the first episode I've watched, but that's what it sounds like to me, too.  The general sound (kind of breathy and not crisp), but also when she says a soft "e" it sounds like a soft "a"--like "sex" sounds like "sax."  I'm not sure why that happens, but it's something I've noticed when listening to some hearing impaired people talk.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

If you earn money through working, SSDI and SSI payments can be reduced depending on your income, all the way to zero.  Makes sense, since the payments are for people who can't work because of their disability.

He said he makes $800/week, which is over $40,000/year.  I'd be shocked if income like that didn't put him over the threshold.

This is the first episode I've watched, but that's what it sounds like to me, too.  The general sound (kind of breathy and not crisp), but also when she says a soft "e" it sounds like a soft "a"--like "sex" sounds like "sax."  I'm not sure why that happens, but it's something I've noticed when listening to some hearing impaired people talk.

He gets a higher check because he works. It is a percentage of your income that you pay taxes into. It's supplemental. Different than welfare because it's social security which is a different program. Bascialy, David gets the SS back that most people pay in their W-2s.

How Much Money Can a Deaf Person Get Through SSDI?

Social Security doesn't pay a higher SSDI amount for deafness like it does for blindness. The amount of SSDI benefits paid for deafness or severe hearing loss depends on your lifetime earnings. Social Security will calculate your disability benefit by looking at your average income over your lifetime from jobs where you paid FICA taxes or self-employment taxes. For more information, read our article on how much money you can get through SSDI.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

You didn't cite your source, but I found it:  disabilitysecrets.org.

But the page you looked at was mainly about the minutia of how much hearing loss is enough to be considered disabled, what tests are administered, etc.  Plus the little bit you quoted at the end about the amount of the benefit. 

Other sections of that same website talk about the maximum earnings a person on SSDI or SSI can have and still receive payments from these programs, which is what I was talking about.  It says this: 

How Much Can I Work While on SSDI?

You're allowed to work while receiving SSDI as long as you don't earn more money than what Social Security calls substantial gainful activity (SGA). SGA is the amount of money you can make that the administration considers to be full-time work. The exact amount changes each year, but in 2023, making more than $1,470 per month ($2,460 if you're blind) is considered SGA.

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page1-13.html

They even have a page specifically about "substantial gainful activity."

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/sga.html

And here's the Social Security Administration's explanation.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/qualify.html

It includes this:

If you are working in 2023 and your earnings average more than $1,470 ($2,460 if you’re blind) a month, you generally cannot be considered to have a qualifying disability.

David's $3200/month is double the government's threshold, so I don't see how he could be receiving either SSDI or SSI because his ability to earn at least $1,470 a month means he doesn't meet Social Security's definition of having a qualifying disability.

What am I misunderstanding here?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You didn't cite your source, but I found it:  disabilitysecrets.org.

But the page you looked at was mainly about the minutia of how much hearing loss is enough to be considered disabled, what tests are administered, etc.  Plus the little bit you quoted at the end about the amount of the benefit. 

Other sections of that same website talk about the maximum earnings a person on SSDI or SSI can have and still receive payments from these programs, which is what I was talking about.  It says this: 

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page1-13.html

They even have a page specifically about "substantial gainful activity."

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/sga.html

And here's the Social Security Administration's explanation.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/qualify.html

It includes this:

David's $3200/month is double the government's threshold, so I don't see how he could be receiving either SSDI or SSI because his ability to earn at least $1,470 a month means he doesn't meet Social Security's definition of having a qualifying disability.

David doesn’t get social security just because he is deaf. He is employed full time and self supporting. His parents may have gotten something for him when he was a child, but he will only collect social security upon retirement (based on his earnings) or if he becomes physically disabled and can’t work any more. (Just like a hearing person). 

David has demonstrated that his deafness does not prohibit him from being self supporting (at his $800 per week) and thus isn’t disabled for the purposes of collecting SSDI or SSI. 

11 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

He gets a higher check because he works. It is a percentage of your income that you pay taxes into. It's supplemental. Different than welfare because it's social security which is a different program. Bascialy, David gets the SS back that most people pay in their W-2s.

Social Security doesn't pay a higher SSDI amount for deafness like it does for blindness. The amount of SSDI benefits paid for deafness or severe hearing loss depends on your lifetime earnings. Social Security will calculate your disability benefit by looking at your average income over your lifetime from jobs where you paid FICA taxes or self-employment taxes. For more information, read our article on how much money you can get through SSDI.

David will get that back at retirement OR if he becomes disabled in such a way he cannot work at his current skill level any more (if he gets physically injured for example, since he stocks shelves and does janitorial services). He doesn’t get it today just because he is deaf. 

• Useful 3
18 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That he is making 3200. No one knows but him, but my educated guess is that given his low paying part-time jobs, and the fact we don't know how many hours he works-- probably not many given his disability, he is also drawing in SSDI.  Just thinking how it's likely to actually be playing out. 

• Like 1

Episode was Mid. Cleo with her crocodile tears crying for everything. You the one who wanted to go to her. You should’ve just done something else. 

Chris looking like he’s more comfortable. 

Gino and Jasmine if Jasmine said it was raining outside I’d have to look. 

She’s a nut. Get out of my house. Bitch I pay for this house. 

Sheila David glad David is stepping up. Son you gotta be a man and support your mom. 

Miesha and Nicola he’s an idiot. You take your girl fishing she hurts her leg and you get mad I’m never taking her fishing again. Lol and she was a trooper saying it was nothing. 

Riley haha now you buying flowers. You shoulda been doing that. You are now feeling sorry for yourself again and complaining. Trying to low key start the rukus up again. So funny. 

4 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

That he is making 3200. No one knows but him, but my educated guess is that given his low paying part-time jobs, and the fact we don't know how many hours he works-- probably not many given his disability, he is also drawing in SSDI.  Just thinking how it's likely to actually be playing out. 

He said he makes $800/week which is $20/hour if he works 40 hour weeks. I don’t know if that’s from one job or both together. 

I don’t see any reason to think he works less than full time due to disability. He may have difficulty getting enough hours from his jobs but I don’t think being deaf prevents him from working full time. 

• Like 1
On 8/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Hell, it doesn't even prevent people from appearing on, and winning, Dancing with the Stars.

Nyle DiMarco is so fine!! (Sorry off topic, I’ve loved him for years)

On 8/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, MrBuhBye said:

In Nebraska that is likely considered middle class.

Also- David probably has low expenses. He’s not supporting anyone else (kids or elderly parents), no student loans, he lives in a modest apartment. I can attest that when it’s “just you” you can live very well on a lot less -groceries, household items etc are so much less than taking care of dependents. I’m not saying David is rolling in it, but he’s got more disposable income than a similarly situated single parent for example. 

• Like 2
On 8/15/2023 at 12:59 AM, AR Traveler said:

"On another note, I am so going to Romania and the castle."

You should. :) Bran Castle is beautiful. Though it has no connention with Dracula or Vlad Tepes at so all. Unfortunately that part is exploited, but still. The city of Brasov is also gorgeous and is about 30 km distance from the castle (despite TLC wanted to make us believe that it is in walkable distance:) ). There are more to visit in the country (Sinaia with the fairy tale Peles Castle,Sighisoara etc.). 

Source: I live in Romania :)

• Love 1