Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Bury Your Past

• Start Topic

The defense rests, and a verdict is in — but Mickey still has more to learn about Lisa. Lorna and Cisco's wedding plans hit another hiccup.

Season finale 

original airdate 8/3/23

I enjoyed the series.   I have read all the books (except for the latest one) but I didn't remember the story (unlike series 1).   However I remember the next story if there is a third series.

The cast has grown on me although Cisco is nothing like I imagined from the books.  I didn't really like the side story of Cisco and his friend. Love Mickey's house both inside and out.

• Like 2

I found this finale kind of a letdown. I thought Lisa was suspicious, though I didn't think she had killed the guy she was accused of. Didn't expect that to be her husband. That seemed to come out of the blue. Did we get any indication that something weird was going on there?

• Like 1

Lisa was so shady from the start! Makes sense that she had something she was hiding... the bondurant thing never made sense, so I'm glad they at least explained why she was so shifty and shady...  (it wasn't just lingering Evil Queen-ness) 

I'm not familiar with the books and haven't seen the movie either... but it's a nice little show with a good cast and I hope we get another season.

• Like 8

Well this verdict and ending doesn’t make a lot of sense. The book version was better.

Minority opinion here but I like Lorna and Cisco together and think they have good chemistry. However I don’t think Micky and Maggie have any chemistry. I really enjoyed Marisa Tomei’s Maggie in the movie. This Maggie is just dull.

• Like 2
On 8/5/2023 at 12:54 AM, twoods said:

Open Arms in Spanish was so beautiful. Loved the wedding and was hoping it would be at Izzy’s studio. 

Figured Lisa was guilty of something. Poor Mickey.

I thought it would be on Mickey's balcony at dusk, but loved how Izzy & Cisco pulled it off.  it was perfect for them. 

1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Minority opinion here but I like Lorna and Cisco together and think they have good chemistry. However I don’t think Micky and Maggie have any chemistry. I really enjoyed Marisa Tomei’s Maggie in the movie. This Maggie is just dull.

I've always liked Lorna & Cisco.  He really does know her, as she said,. 

Marissa T's Maggie in the movie was great with Matthew Mc.  She'd be old enough to be Mickey's mom in this.  *LOL*

Oh, and his mom was awesome.  What a diva.  

• Like 5
On 8/4/2023 at 9:15 PM, peeayebee said:

I found this finale kind of a letdown. I thought Lisa was suspicious, though I didn't think she had killed the guy she was accused of. Didn't expect that to be her husband. That seemed to come out of the blue. Did we get any indication that something weird was going on there?

What an anticlimax.  Plus, we never learned who actually did kill Bondurant.

1 hour ago, susannot said:

Plus, we never learned who actually did kill Bondurant.

They suspect it was the building inspector Kim with the ridiculously complex plan to use his mirror to shine a light on the roof so Bondurant would look up like the Deputy DA theorized he did  in her cross of the defense expert medical examiner. And when Kim's car was found in the marina parking lot that the Armenians took him out, probably to feed the fishes.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, roughing it said:

However I don’t think Micky and Maggie have any chemistry.

They don't know what to do with Neve Campbell. It is a boring plot, hopefully she decides to not come back for another season. 

I also found the whole thing with mamacita pretty boring. Just a filler because they needed to extend the episodes. Don't care about her

I enjoyed the show. Not too invested but it was a good way of relaxing in front of the TV. Entertaining despite the boring parts, dynamic in court cases despite the complete fantasy when compared to real courtrooms. It is so far apart, it is hard to see any similarity. Just hope that Andrea disappears in the ether and stays there, and that they don't go for the cliche of the daughter being kidnapped by the Armenians to get back at Mickey. She is  where she should be: in the background, being normal and not heroic or a martyr. If they use the cliche, they will have to develop a whole other cliche of PTSD and/or the kid unraveling into rebellious acts and... meh. Or they will have to send her away. I like the father-daughter scenes, in small doses as it is. I hope she stays in the show.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Raja said:

They suspect it was the building inspector Kim with the ridiculously complex plan to use his mirror to shine a light on the roof so Bondurant would look up like the Deputy DA theorized he did  in her cross of the defense expert medical examiner. 

OMGosh. Yes, talk about ridiculous. Who would ever think of that? "Hmm, this guy is too tall for me to conk on the head, so I'll use my mirror to make him look up so I can reach the top of his head with this hammer I stole." I forget: How did he get Lisa's hammer?

2 hours ago, circumvent said:

I also found the whole thing with mamacita pretty boring. Just a filler because they needed to extend the episodes. Don't care about her

Yeah, I don't know why she was inserted. I kind of liked her character, but she seemed pointless. Maybe there are bigger plans for her next season, so this was just an introduction.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I forget: How did he get Lisa's hammer?

The dude must have been to Jason Bourne assassins' school. He knew of the possibility off a hit down the line when he went in as a fake health inspector which clued Mickey into the (bent?) I guess real building inspector

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I forget: How did he get Lisa's hammer?

He felt he was about to be exposed by the developer, so he went to Lisa's restaurant and faked being a health inspector (Renee pointing that out when he did instead of when he first saw him in the courthouse was awfully convenient).

As part of his "inspection," he went into Lisa's garage, where she kept her tool kit, and stole the hammer.  He had planned on framing her because there was the restraining order, and he had already photographed her looking like she was confronting the developer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

The fake inspector also stole the gardening gloves when he stole the hammer.  

I hated prosecutor Andi, but that means for me, the actress did a great job.  Every defense lawyer needs a nemesis, and a beautiful young female shark is the best kind for a guy like Mickey. 

She may be around in future seasons, but she doesn't need to be a major character.  

• Like 1
On 8/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, SnapHappy said:

Marissa T's Maggie in the movie was great with Matthew Mc.  She'd be old enough to be Mickey's mom in this.  *LOL*

I get that, but I wish they found an actor to play Maggie that has a little more spitfire/energy/pizzazz (whatever word I'm looking for) to her.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, roughing it said:

I get that, but I wish they found an actor to play Maggie that has a little more spitfire/energy/pizzazz (whatever word I'm looking for) to her.

Oh, absolutely.  There are a lot of great 30-40+ actresses out there they could have cast as Maggie.  Probably more these days than in the past.  Even 10 years ago, they would have tried to make Maggie 25 and Hayley would be a pre-schooler.  But the books author, Michael Connelly, has said he won't stoop to the much-younger spouse trope for his TV adaptations.  I like that.  

• Like 2
On 8/8/2023 at 2:46 AM, Irlandesa said:

He felt he was about to be exposed by the developer, so he went to Lisa's restaurant and faked being a health inspector (Renee pointing that out when he did instead of when he first saw him in the courthouse was awfully convenient).

As part of his "inspection," he went into Lisa's garage, where she kept her tool kit, and stole the hammer.  He had planned on framing her because there was the restraining order, and he had already photographed her looking like she was confronting the developer.

You explained this much better than the show did! :)

I liked most of this, but I don’t like that it was split into two parts, a month apart. I would have preferred to wait another month for the whole thing. 

i knew that Lisa had done something. 

I figured they would use Izzy’s place for a party, but I also thought cisco and Lorna would get married on mickey’s property. Maybe that would have been a bit too weird, though, even if they do all work together. I like that “congratulations, blonde ex-wife.”

His mum really took the joy out of his own celebration, didn’t she? Rushing out with her own good news, and then rushing off. 

• Like 1

While I realize these type of shows need to supply constant surprises, there were so many unbelievable turns:

• During months of preparation, Mickey never came across a photo of Lisa's husband..? 
  • Mickey not knowing their divorced was never finalized?
  • Both Mickey and prosecutor continually introducing evidence and witnesses that were not disclosed to the other side.
  • Lisa dropping surprises on Mickey as if they had never discussed her whereabouts during the murder.
On 8/4/2023 at 9:15 PM, peeayebee said:

Didn't expect that to be her husband. That seemed to come out of the blue. Did we get any indication that something weird was going on there?

The 'previously' scenes highlighted the husband, so that was a tip. And Lisa always had extreme overreactions whenever Mickey tried to talk about him.

On 8/6/2023 at 10:32 PM, Raja said:

They suspect it was the building inspector Kim with the ridiculously complex plan ..

Bondurant's murder: Just like season one, this show does a poor job of explaining what actually happened and why.  Someone suggested a re-enactment of the crime and I agree. 
Having characters give lengthy, confusing exposition explanations - as well as their theories about motives - makes things even more messy.

I am still confused as to who committed certain crimes in the first season.
Will we ever know for certain who put Mickey in the hospital? 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I am still confused as to who committed certain crimes in the first season.
Will we ever know for certain who put Mickey in the hospital? 

I couldn't remember, but found this online:

"After being lured out to the middle of nowhere under false pretenses, Mickey is attacked by Glenn McSweeney aka Juror No. 7 from the Trevor Elliott case. Yes, the same juror who was a plant designed to help win the case for Trevor.

Upon arriving at the destination thinking Izzy was in danger, Glenn attacked Mickey and things weren’t looking good for him. However, Mickey put up a good fight and was able to fend off Glenn… who fell off the cliff after losing his balance during his exchange with Mickey."

Is that an answer to your question??  Hope so!

• Like 2

I was referring to who was responsible for putting Mickey in the hospital in episode 5 of this season.  Lorna suspected Lisa was behind it - but there was also the possibility of the developer and his Armenian crime family.

As to who committed certain crimes in the first season, this might belong in that thread ... but  it was not clear  what crimes Trevor Elliot committed and what crimes the corrupt presiding Judge woman committed -- such as who killed the lawyer that left Mickey his law practice.

13 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

I was referring to who was responsible for putting Mickey in the hospital in episode 5 of this season.  Lorna suspected Lisa was behind it - but there was also the possibility of the developer and his Armenian crime family.

Sorry - I misunderstood your initial question.  Chalk it up to not enough coffee.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Having done a bit more research (after a bit more coffee), I've found that this is what is implied.  It had already been determined that Alex Grant was not responsible, but Lisa decided to try to push the blame onto him anyway to try to get Mickey away from thinking she had killed Bondurant.  

The lady was a high level of psychotic.  

• Like 2

Mickey was such a dupe in this season. I don’t think that’s canon for the character. I still enjoy watching it, but . . .

We didn’t need the mother. She came out of nowhere and was a pill. She really is a famous Mexican actress. She starred in the Mexican version of Ugly Betty, playing the Betty character’s mother. And she’s her real life mother. I actually watched it years ago, which introduced me to the super fine Jaime Camil as the love interest. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

(it wasn't me) but I believe the poster said that the actress played the mother in a spanish-language version of Ugly Betty, where she was the actual mother of the equivalent of America Ferrera.

• Like 1

The things you guys make me google!!!!

Angelica Maria (Mickey Haller's mother in Lincoln Lawyer) played Julieta Solís de Padilla In La fea más bella.  In the show, her daughter was played by Angelica Vale.

They are real-life mother and daughter.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/13/2023 at 6:37 AM, transitfan said:

Putting in spoiler just in case

Hide contents

RIP Glory Days 😢 (I don't recall if that happened in the book, I may need to refresh my memory)  I guess that may set up the (hopefully) 3rd season

Yes. It’s the plot of another book:

Spoiler

Gods of Guilt.

I feel a little vindicated after ranting to my screen that “this woman is crazy!” several times while watching this season. You just don’t get Lana Parilla to play purely innocent — she definintely delivered on the twist(ed character). I feel like the clues were definitely there throughout the season.

Maybe it’s because I’ve never actually seen the movie, but I’m one (of the few?) who buys this Micky and Maggie as a couple in the past/present/future. And I love Micky and Lorna’s dynamic, but I can’t imagine how they would have been as a married couple at all. I’m glad she and Cisco are happy together.

I like Izzy and like for her to continue to develop as a character, but I’m curious how well they do that while also keeping her around for the main story going forward.

Overall I think I might have liked the first season better, but this one wa still very good and I’m on board for another.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, kickingnames said:

I feel a little vindicated after ranting to my screen that “this woman is crazy!” several times while watching this season. You just don’t get Lana Parilla to play purely innocent — she definintely delivered on the twist(ed character). I feel like the clues were definitely there throughout the season.

Maybe it’s because I’ve never actually seen the movie, but I’m one (of the few?) who buys this Micky and Maggie as a couple in the past/present/future. And I love Micky and Lorna’s dynamic, but I can’t imagine how they would have been as a married couple at all. I’m glad she and Cisco are happy together.

I like Izzy and like for her to continue to develop as a character, but I’m curious how well they do that while also keeping her around for the main story going forward.

Overall I think I might have liked the first season better, but this one wa still very good and I’m on board for another.

Just finished reading "The Gods of Guilt" last night.  The little scene at the end of Season 2 hints that GoG will be the source novel if there's a Season 3.  It could be AWESOME.

• Like 2
On 8/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, dleighg said:

She seems pretty joyless. I like Lorna and Cisco but I hate his voice.

I don't like his voice either. I also don't think he and Lorna have any chemistry. Not sure this actor was the best casting for this role. 

It's been so long since I've seen the movie that I don't remember much except MM's smarminess. I like MGR as Mickey so much better. He is appealing and interesting. I wish Mickey hadn't been so easily manipulated by Lisa. I couldn't stand her from her first scene. 

Every time they show the view I'm blown away. It reminds me of Bosch. It almost distracts me from the scene. 

kickingnames, agree about Mickey and Lorna. I can't see them as once being a couple. I get more of a brother-sister vibe. 

I would definitely watch another season!

• Like 2

I thought the book plot with the balloons was a lot more realistic than the mirror shining on the roof.  Much better plot line. I love Michael Connoly and have read EVERYTHING, I have no problem with his mixing bits and pieces of his writing to make a good story.  In reality, I think writers do that, cut and paste for what makes sense at the time. I don't want to see a strict retelling of the book, I appreciate a nod here and there, but a way to make it fresh also.

I've just finished watching the two seasons and thought it was great.

Absolutely could not stand Andrea, so was glad she lost the case (I did like her in the very last scene though). Also wasn't a fan of Lisa and am glad she is going to prison.

I find the rest of the cast very likeable especially Mickey and Lorna.

Why do TV shows always have to write opposing DAs as smug assholes? Although Andrea did come and congratulate Mickey, she gave me the impression she thought she should have still won the case, and this was after she knew that Lisa didn’t do it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

Why do TV shows always have to write opposing DAs as smug assholes? Although Andrea did come and congratulate Mickey, she gave me the impression she thought she should have still won the case, and this was after she knew that Lisa didn’t do it.

On Lincoln Lawyer specifically our hero has gotten off people who were criminals, just guilty of something else in the second season.  So to make Mickey heroic in the audience's eye he has to be seen fighting the state abusing its power. In the clients he is different than Perry Mason or Matlock.

If this was a case of the week show instead of the case of the week being in the background I would expect Attorney Haller to be getting near to episode with him as a special prosecutor.