Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Bomb Cyclone

• Start Topic

(edited)
12 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Speaking of condoms, the sexually active Carrie apparently doesn’t use them?  She acted as if it would be totally gauche to use them and was mortally offended that Charlotte brought up the possibility of STIs.

Again, Carrie Bradshaw, the sex columnist turned sex podcaster somehow believes she is “above” using condoms.  You can still get herpes at 50, Carrie.

This was a major beef I had in an altogether not-bad episode. Why was she so offended at the suggestion that she use condoms when she's not monogamous? She was boning her fuckbuddy once a week, and then almost got involved with the biker guy--does she just raw dog it with every casual hookup? Gross. If I was having casual sex, the inside of my purse would look like Samantha's--full to the brim of condoms in different sizes, and they'd go with me everywhere I went. 

I am completely in love with Carrie's comforter coat. I did feel bad for the coat check people, though--hope she tipped well. 

I also liked Che's chemistry with Carrie. I don't think anyone had a problem with them at the start of the series--it wasn't until they hooked up with Miranda and she turned into a pod person that everyone started hating Che.

The cameo scene was so cringey, though. You can't do that in the living room (or during the day) and let your partner sleep in peace?

I'm not totally sure, but I think NY is a community property state. Barring a prenup saying otherwise, Steve is entitled to half the house regardless of whether he's on the mortgage or not. And if he's not on the mortgage he may be on the deed (my spouse is not on our mortgage but she is on the deed, due to our circumstances at the time). Plus, the house is a marital property--they were already married when they bought it. AND! They haven't even filed for divorce yet. Why would he vacate his own home when they're still married?!

Funnily, though, Miranda may not be able to claim any ownership of his bar. Didn't Steve buy the bar well before they were married, and indeed, while they were broken up?

Edited by monagatuna
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 7/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, luna1122again said:

https://www.primetimer.com/quickhits/and-just-like-that-sarah-jessica-parker-john-corbett-aidan-shaw-email

I know not everyone is an Aidan fan, but what is this person's problem with Aidan? It feels personal. AIDAN is a 'dirtbag ex'? Aidan caused problems in Carrie's relationship with Big? Isn't this at least slightly revisionist history?  (frankly, it feels way more than slightly to me, but again, I know some folks just hate Aidan, and he and Carrie did kiss while married to others, which, ick, so okay.) For me, Big was the problematic dirtbag ex. Of course, you can always have more than one of those.

I saw this on the main page. What SATC did they watch? 

• Like 9

I think it's unanimous that we all like Carrie's friend, Che and still hate Miranda's lover, Che.  

LTW has got a high-pitched voice that's like a dog whistle.  When she called Charlotte at the beginning, her screeching was at an eardrum shattering decible level.

I just don't get how Carrie, Charlotte and Lisa were literally the ONLY people seen on those NYC streets during the blizzard.  The ONLY people.  Not a single other body except the drugstore dude. Unbelievable. 

And nobody is going to stop 2 motivated 17 year-olds from having sex. Nobody.  All a parent can do is educate their kids & try to minimize the trauma, drama & fallout.  But Charlotte is totally the mom I could picture instructing Lily with a condom & a banana.  

• Like 1

Does anyone else find it completely preposterous that a child would just announce to her parents (both mom and dad! Dad!) that she has made plans have sex for the first time with her boyfriend today?  Unless kids have changed a loooooot in the past few years, this just doesn’t seem believable.  At all.  I could see her maybe coming to Charlotte to talk about it, or maybe Charlotte overhearing or finding out some other way.  But just being all chipper like “his parents are out of town, so today’s the day” like that?  With all the mystery and enthusiasm of scheduling an appointment to get your tires rotated?  What is with this kid?  Who writes this?  Even assuming two modern-day kids would have to plan a particular time when they’d be alone in a house, why tell your parents?  Also, shouldn’t they have been sexually active already, (short of intercourse), having had plenty of alone time to experiment, if they are even contemplating taking the next step?  Are they just starting from nothing and jumping right into intercourse?  Does that happen?  (Didn’t for me).  The whole thing seems overly planned and emotionless, and the Lily actress had the completely wrong demeanor for a young girl thinking about this.  Shouldn’t she have been more swoony and romantic, or at least horny?  Another example of them thinking a situation would be funny without considering that they are supposed to be depicting the way real people act.  Do they have teenage kids?  Were they ever teenage kids?  Appointment deflowering with parental announcement is not a thing.  

• Like 20
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I love Che and Carrie together.  But there’s something I don’t understand.  We see Carrie saying she really needs Che to be there with her at the widow thing.  Why?  Moral support?  She doesn’t say.  She just says she needs Che there.  Then, it’s only once they get there and they see the funny lady (Julie White is amazing, btw), that Carrie suddenly comes up with the idea thar Che (a comedian, remember), could write some material.  This is the first time that has occurred to Carrie, apparently.  So, I can’t help but wonder (ha), why, exactly, did the writers have Carrie insist she needed Che there, again?  Are they bff’s?  If it was just for moral support, why not ask Miranda, or Seema, or Charlotte?  And if it was for material, why not mention that when she first asks Che to go?  Makes.  No.  Sense.  The writing is just not good on this show.  

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

And that bothers me so much.  Carrie dumped a guy for being married to his work and having a partner who didn't understand boundaries but Miranda is puts up with Che?

When I heard that line I cringed. That is totally something a guy who is only with you for sex would say. There was also that line Che said in the previous episode when they were at dinner which I can't remember but that is also something if a guy said we would groan and think gross dickhead.

She made that 'curry-lingus' joke, telling MIranda to go easy on the spicy food so when she went down on her later, it wouldn't burn or something. Which: if some guy made that joke to me, I'm for sure not doing that later, just on principle. Don't assume. 

I think Trey would be happy for Charlotte having kids, and probably relieved he never did. (if he never did.)

I think Lily wasn't giddy about the sex thing because she's not in love, this was a decision to have sex, kind of to get over that 'first time' thing. She said she and the boy liked each other and were friends for a long time. I'm not sure they're even boyfriend/girlfriend, but I do guess they've done other stuff, just not actual intercourse. And I do think it's weird to sort of robotically announce it to the the room at large, including Anthony, yeah, but I do know some people who've let their moms know before hand what they're planning to do. 

I read a comment on Reddit wondering why Carrie would be renting a Hamptons house, since she and Big owned one, the one they were supposed to be heading to on the night he died. I'd forgotten that. I guess we were supposed to as well. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 9
1 minute ago, luna1122again said:

I read a comment on Reddit wondering why Carrie would be renting a Hamptons house, since she and Big owned one, the one they were supposed to be heading to on the night he died. I'd forgotten that. I guess we were supposed to as well.

Thank you! I knew they had mentioned a Hamptons house during the Season one episode.  So Carrie sold the house?  Or more likely the writers forgot.

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, T Summer said:

I didn't care for Steve saying  Miranda never wanted Brady. That seems out of character for him. Just because Brady wasn't planned and Miranda considered abortion doesn't mean she didn't want a child once she really considered her options, the timing and  how she'd make it work etc.

As I recall she was 37 and had recently been to the Gynecologist and had been told she had an anomaly like a tipped uterus or something and she said  it was against all the odds her getting pregnant with that, and Steve having one testicle and all. Once she realized there may not be a later date to have a baby she decided she did want one,  and  that it may be now or never.

Also in  shitty  movie #2 at the end she shows up in time for little Brady's school play or whatever and tells Steve she took a job at a smaller  law firm where she'd have more flexibility and be able to make Brady's  activities from now on because it was important to her.

I agree. I know there’s a lot of Steve fans out there, moreso because of how AJLT chose to end their relationship. And while I loved their love story - Miranda ending up with someone totally unexpected for someone like her - I’m not a huge fan of Steve himself.

Before there was Berger, there was Steve. Steve couldn’t handle Miranda’s success and so he broke it off. And still had the temerity to live in Miranda’s apartment while he looked for a place, even giving Miranda’s OWN landline number to a girl he met for a hookup.

In movie #1, he cheated on her. Took awhile but she forgave him and took him back. I wonder why Miranda never threw that back at him when he was saying all those horrible stuff to her, especially the Brady part. That was just below the belt.

Maybe their relationship eventually had to end. Love fades. But it was just really shitty writing that did it in. A more thoughtful breakup would have put their relationship in perspective and make people remember that they are both flawed people, who both made mistakes in the past, and there’s really no one to blame.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 12
  • Applause 2

Maybe Carrie and Big's house is different than the one rented by Seema (which has a pool), or perhaps Carrie already set up with an agent to rent it out (which, wouldn't that be Seema?) thinking she wouldn't be using it?  yeah, big miss by the writers.

I don't think Miranda was mad at Steve having sex with someone else per se.  she was upset because she thought Steve had not moved on, and would not move on for some time, which kept Miranda from fully moving on (i.e. getting the divorce).  this thought was because he had not moved out like he told the therapist (nor tell her previously he was lying - which if he had told the truth at therapy, this issue could have been discussed more), he did not tell Miranda he was seeing anyone else, he did not tell Miranda he wanted a divorce, and Carrie told Miranda about the ring which suggested Steve did not want a divorce.  

And Miranda was mad about was Steve having sex in their 'joint' bed (as opposed to the woman's place).

I think Miranda was actually relieved Steve was sleeping with someone else because it meant she could push forward with the divorce, steve had moved on, and these other issues with the house and such could be finally resolved (though i think there's going to be a real contentious property split).  but she was probably upset with feeling more in limbo for longer than perhaps necessary. 

Miranda thought she was giving Steve the space and room to move on and thus make the divorce easier.  she should have just filed immediately, because i don't think the divorce got any easier.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

They are in their late 40s right?  We were supposed to believe that last season they were famous enough to have a Netflix special right? And then the pilot offer.   I don't think we were supposed to think Che was some overnight success. I'm sure they had down periods before in their career.  I do get the impression Che has not been smart with money.

To be fair I don't think Che has had any real money to be smart about. I think the series would have been her shot at making real money. Even a pilot - even though it pays more than episodic pay wouldn't be super lucrative - after deducting agency fees; manager fees; taxes and whatever.

I don't think Carrie regretted her abortion in her 20's. None of the women I know who had abortions when they were at the stage of their life with random people regretted their abortions or ever second guessed their decisions.

There is nothing to suggest that Carrie was infertile or that having or not having children wasn't a conscious decision. If Big built her that closet I am reasonably certain he would have been fine with having a child with her if that was what something she pined for. With his money, it wouldn't even have crimped their life style although they would have been rich married with children like Charlotte.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I may be one of the very few, but with 1.5 seasons in, I realize I do miss Carrie's narration. There was just something in her narration that always tied everything together in an episode. 

The narration definitely papered over some weaker plot movements in the original series. Without it now, the plotholes and character inconsistencies are glaringly unavoidable.

• Like 10
15 minutes ago, amarante said:

There is nothing to suggest that Carrie was infertile or that having or not having children wasn't a conscious decision. If Big built her that closet I am reasonably certain he would have been fine with having a child with her if that was what something she pined for. With his money, it wouldn't even have crimped their life style although they would have been rich married with children like Charlotte.

I was under the impression that Carrie and Big being childless was a conscious decision. There was a scene in movie #2 at the beginning where Carrie gifted Big a Rolex that had the inscription at the back “Just Us Two,” or something like that. I also thought that Carrie mentioned to the girls in passing that she and Big were fine not having children. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I was under the impression that Carrie and Big being childless was a conscious decision. There was a scene in movie #2 at the beginning where Carrie gifted Big a Rolex that had the inscription at the back “Just Us Two,” or something like that. I also thought that Carrie mentioned to the girls in passing that she and Big were fine not having children. 

And then they met that couple at Stanny and Anthony's wedding who were simply so appalled when Carrie told them they didn't want kids that they were knocked speechless, and turned away from them in complete horror. Weirdos. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

Carrie did have the pregnancy scare in Season one.  After that until the second movie her having or not having kids was never mentioned again.  Carrie never struck me as all that maternal so I'm not surprised she didn't have kids.

• Like 5

Yes. I think if Carrie had wanted children Big wouldn’t have gotten back with her long term. I think one of the reasons Carrie was so attractive to him in his later years was because she wouldn’t want to devote time to caregiving (either children or an elderly parent) and could pay attention to him. I don’t think Carrie regretted her abortion either. I think she probably wishes she wouldn’t have had to get one, but she didn’t want to be a mother. 

I haven’t seen the episode yet- but based on what you have said here about Steve, his comment about Miranda not wanting Brady was below the belt. BUT given how Miranda has treated him I’ll give him grace. Brady’s conception was accidental, and I think Miranda only continued on with the pregnancy because she was open to children and with Charlotte’s infertility issues, she knew she might not be able to conceive easily/cheaply again (think about how much IVF was in the early 2000s). She was 34 and not with anyone, had she been 28, she probably would’ve had the abortion. But she didn’t because she wanted Brady. Miranda did always think Steve was beneath her but she married him because she had Brady and affection for him (they also had great sex). 

• Like 7
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I haven’t seen the episode yet- but based on what you have said here about Steve, his comment about Miranda not wanting Brady was below the belt. BUT given how Miranda has treated him I’ll give him grace. Brady’s conception was accidental, and I think Miranda only continued on with the pregnancy because she was open to children and with Charlotte’s infertility issues, she knew she might not be able to conceive easily/cheaply again (think about how much IVF was in the early 2000s). She was 34 and not with anyone, had she been 28, she probably would’ve had the abortion. But she didn’t because she wanted Brady. Miranda did always think Steve was beneath her but she married him because she had Brady and affection for him (they also had great sex). 

I never got the feeling she had just affection for him but that she loved him. She did feel that he was no on the same "level" as her but grew out of that. He proposed to her early on (that scene were he shows up at the door with the ring is hysterical) and she said no. And then she was with that hot doctor but couldn't get her mind off Steve. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I don't think Miranda was mad at Steve having sex with someone else per se.  she was upset because she thought Steve had not moved on, and would not move on for some time, which kept Miranda from fully moving on (i.e. getting the divorce).  this thought was because he had not moved out like he told the therapist

This is what I was trying to convey;  I think you put it more clearly. Thank you.

It's really all the fault of this terrible writing and direction. They assassinated the characters of both Steve and Miranda. I remember when they met and Steve was reading a book and encouraging Miranda (distracted by some BS w/ Carrie) to slow down and enjoy her  glass of a good wine. He was no dummy and could converse with Miranda the attorney  all those years  and he was in the hospitality business in one of the 2 or 3 most sophisticated cities in the world.

In this mess they have him barely able to utter a sentence. It's not anywhere near as bad  this season, thankfully. When AJLT premiered and I heard  Steve speak sounding like Buddy Hackett I was stunned. They had him appearing like some doddering old man. As hearing loss was mentioned, before criticizing I wanted to check the actor out in something else. I even posted a video of him doing an interview on Chicago Fire and he has no such speech affectation. He has a New York accent and thinks and speaks without  deficit.

They could have and would have discussed the break down of their relationship if that's what was happening. Even if Miranda did suddenly realize she didn't want to stay married as a result of  meeting  someone who awakened new feelings in her,  everything we know of the character indicates  she would  have had a  discussion with Steve about  wanting a divorce and about how they're going to live separately until all that, the legal and financial side is worked out.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Does anyone else find it completely preposterous that a child would just announce to her parents (both mom and dad! Dad!) that she has made plans have sex for the first time with her boyfriend today?  Unless kids have changed a loooooot in the past few years, this just doesn’t seem believable.  At all.  I could see her maybe coming to Charlotte to talk about it, or maybe Charlotte overhearing or finding out some other way.  But just being all chipper like “his parents are out of town, so today’s the day” like that?  With all the mystery and enthusiasm of scheduling an appointment to get your tires rotated?  What is with this kid?  Who writes this?  

I remember being about 12 when I suddenly realised that at the beginning of Back To The Future when the entire family, Mom, Dad, brother and sister are chatting with Marty like: ‘So you and Jennifer are going up to stay at the lake this weekend, huh’, ‘I never even parked in a car with a boy at your age…’ etc, that’s because he was supposed to have announced to everyone in the family that they were going to have sex that weekend.

And that was 1985. So this isn’t new, nor necessarily bad writing. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/20/2023 at 1:30 PM, Lola82 said:

No, no way am I buying LTW walking through a “bomb cyclone” in heels. And Carrie’s duvet coat is bonkers and would just slow her down in the snow.

Ahh yes,  but Carrie’s (and now LTW) fashion has NEVER been about the practical and I love that even if I don’t love the outfit - like the jumpsuit she was wearing in the Apple Store.  I thought that was terrible.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, monagatuna said:

I also liked Che's chemistry with Carrie. I don't think anyone had a problem with them at the start of the series--it wasn't until they hooked up with Miranda and she turned into a pod person that everyone started hating Che.

The cameo scene was so cringey, though. You can't do that in the living room (or during the day) and let your partner sleep in peace?

I'm not totally sure, but I think NY is a community property state. Barring a prenup saying otherwise, Steve is entitled to half the house regardless of whether he's on the mortgage or not. And if he's not on the mortgage he may be on the deed (my spouse is not on our mortgage but she is on the deed, due to our circumstances at the time). Plus, the house is a marital property--they were already married when they bought it. AND! They haven't even filed for divorce yet. Why would he vacate his own home when they're still married?!

Funnily, though, Miranda may not be able to claim any ownership of his bar. Didn't Steve buy the bar well before they were married, and indeed, while they were broken up?

I still don't like Che. As Carrie's friend or Miranda's partner.  I wonder if Miranda wants Steve to vacate the brownstone so she can claim that he's abandoned the family home as well as she. I wonder if the fact she left and lived in Cali for a while makes her claim to the family home a bit more shaky.

2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I think it's unanimous that we all like Carrie's friend, Che and still hate Miranda's lover, Che.  

Still nope. Honestly if it's true that CN wanted Sara as Miranda's love interest because she has some crazy crush on Sara, if I was in Sara's place, I would be a bit put out. But that's me.

2 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Does anyone else find it completely preposterous that a child would just announce to her parents (both mom and dad! Dad!) that she has made plans have sex for the first time with her boyfriend today?  Unless kids have changed a loooooot in the past few years, this just doesn’t seem believable.  At all.  I could see her maybe coming to Charlotte to talk about it, or maybe Charlotte overhearing or finding out some other way.  But just being all chipper like “his parents are out of town, so today’s the day” like that?  With all the mystery and enthusiasm of scheduling an appointment to get your tires rotated?  What is with this kid?  Who writes this?  Even assuming two modern-day kids would have to plan a particular time when they’d be alone in a house, why tell your parents?  Also, shouldn’t they have been sexually active already, (short of intercourse), having had plenty of alone time to experiment, if they are even contemplating taking the next step?  Are they just starting from nothing and jumping right into intercourse?  Does that happen?  (Didn’t for me).  The whole thing seems overly planned and emotionless, and the Lily actress had the completely wrong demeanor for a young girl thinking about this.  Shouldn’t she have been more swoony and romantic, or at least horny?  Another example of them thinking a situation would be funny without considering that they are supposed to be depicting the way real people act.  Do they have teenage kids?  Were they ever teenage kids?  Appointment deflowering with parental announcement is not a thing.  

Lily has issues. Harry and Charlotte need to get that girl into therapy. For her to be planning this stuff like a checklist isn't healthy.

• Like 4

Carrie did have the pregnancy scare in Season one.  After that until the second movie her having or not having kids was never mentioned again.  Carrie never struck me as all that maternal so I'm not surprised she didn't have kids.

There was the Petrovsky relationship where she had to consider whether she'd be able to accept never having children being with him, as he'd had one child and a vasectomy and he was done.

He said you're 38, when were you going to maybe have these children? (paraphrasing)

"I felt like I 'd been  shot with a 38." Carrie said.   lol

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

There  was the episode with "the Russian" when she wanted to have the conversation with him about kids, even tho it was too soon. He'd had a vasectomy, and Charlotte thought she should break up with him because of it. "Why should you give up having a baby for a man you hardly know?" 

"Why should I give up a man for a baby I hardly know I want?"

I think she was just always ambivalent, and had no special desire to have kids, but most women do have them, so we often just think maybe we will, as it's the norm. 

Miranda definitely loved Steve at one point. I was semi shocked to hear her say to Che last nite that they'd loved each other. I thought this show forgot/denied that. 

• Like 6
  • Wink 1
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

wouldn't the Brooklyn brownstone be paid off anyway? Miranda (old Miranda can't speak about New Miranda because I no idea who this person is) would have totally done a 15 year mortgage vs the 30.  

Paid off or not it is in Miranda's name, Steve would have to (in a legal sense) buy Miranda out if he wanted the house if Miranda was willing to do that. 

I am still shocked at how Charlotte and Harry dealt with Lily's idiotic announcement about having sex, it was all wrong, Charlotte and Harry letting their daughter leave their house in a blizzard, it would never happen, who would let their kid go out in a bomb cyclone? Plus asking Charlotte to go out and find condoms...it would never happen and if it did it would only happen after a very long lecture about planning and common sense and a great deal of other things.  Show of hands of parents that would brave a storm for condoms for their child who should not be out in a storm.  They must be afraid of Lily to react like timid idiots every time she wants to do something stupid. Lily is smart enough to understand sex could lead to pregnancy and then mentions the bf would use the pull out method...she totally controls Charlotte.

Carrie insisted she needed Che because she was not used to speaking to large crowds, I thought Che would have given her some pointers about it or written something for her but nope she just stood back stage and gave her one spur of the moment joke? 

Do none of these women have proper snow boots?  I sort of loved Carrie's enormous puffy coat, I am sure it is as much as a mortgage payment but my question is where in her apartment would that fit, it was like a hoop skirt! 

Carrie and Big obviously had a Hampton's house, what ever happened to it? Now she and Seema will spend g-d knows what on a seasonal rental? Also, if Big and Carrie had a Hampton's house did she ever invite the other ladies to spend time there, nobody has ever mentioned it.

If Miranda draws up the divorce papers does she have to have someone else mediate for dividing the estate fairly?

1 hour ago, T Summer said:

When AJLT premiered and I heard  Steve speak sounding like Buddy Hackett I was stunned. They had him appearing like some doddering old man. As hearing loss was mentioned, before criticizing I wanted to check the actor out in something else. I even posted a video of him doing an interview on Chicago Fire and he has no such speech affectation. He has a New York accent and thinks and speaks without  deficit.

I know! Why does he have to sound like the sea gull in the Little Mermaid, lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Okay, I haven't read through the entire thread because I don't want to spoil myself too thoroughly. But I just have to say this:

YESSSSSSS

Finally, finally Miranda is getting some richly deserved pushback. (I read a recap.) Finally Steve told her to her face what a selfish, life-destroying POS she has been. FINALLY.

I think I can actually watch Season 2 now, knowing that Steve regained some of his dignity.

• Like 7
34 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I know! Why does he have to sound like the sea gull in the Little Mermaid, lol.

Ridiculous.

You know what else? I think this odd way of speaking is spreading!

We have Charlotte who by the latter years of the series was starting this baby talking, wide eyed bit that's now morphed into  something so over the top... I cannot stand listening to her anymore. It's like  a bad overacting Chrissy Snow. or Carol Channing!

Then in s1 AJLT they had David Eigenberg playing Steve as a confused old man who's speech is totally messed up - (already described that in depth).

Then Miranda has at times delivered her lines in some weird  overwrought fashion you never saw on SATC too. Remember at the beach a few episodes ago when she was talking to strangers asking to use their phone, didn't she seem off? and there have been a few times in scenes with Che where Miranda is just so over the top with normal conversation where a subtle of middle of the road  reaction is called for  she responds like she's the most shocked and incredulous she's ever been. Or when trying to reassure Che, who's comedy isn't landing? These huge gestures and shouty rah-rah cheers from out of nowhere.

I suggest Carrie is starting to do it, too! At times she's overly enunciating and slowing her speech as though she's trying to be understood by someone who speaks little English, or has trouble hearing.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, luna1122again said:

Miranda definitely loved Steve at one point.

Yeah, I’m confused that this is even a debatable point. Miranda didn’t ask Steve to get back together because she was jealous of Debbie - she was in a healthy, loving relationship with a man who was crazy about her and Brady, a man who is more on her “level,” so to speak, than Steve ever was. But she realized that while she had the “perfect” man, she truly loved the “flawed” one more, because Steve was “the one.”

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

I enjoy a fun pajama so like Nya I was impressed by Miranda’s heart pjs. 

Given how neurotic Lily can be, I’m not surprised about her attitude over her “perfect virginity loss day”. Charlotte likely would’ve already had her on a hormonal contraceptive and had condoms in the house. Kirsten Davis looked great in the scene in the scene in Lily’s room though- her makeup, hair, and track suit were a great “lounge at home” outfit.  

As a single woman I’d much rather rent a summer/vacation home with another single friend than a friend’s family with small kids, so Seema’s proposal to Carrie wasn’t strange at all.

Miranda’s skin looked nice and glowy in the bed with Che, that’s all I’ve got. I understand Che being upset about their pilot, but damn. Their career isn’t over, it was one pilot! As a performer rejection is the name of the game. Che is so immature I swear. 

Charlotte and Trey not staying in touch after the divorce made sense- the marriage was so short, they had no children or mutual friends, best to just move on. Given how long Nya and Andre were together I can see them staying in touch and having misguided ex-sex on occasion. Steve and Miranda have a child together so it makes sense to be civil if they can be. Even though Brady has been raised, they are still his parents and both care about his well being and will be seeing each other pretty consistently. 

• Like 6

Why didn’t Carrie ask Seema to Widow-Con (or ‘Widows: Based on The Novel Push by Sapphire’ or whatever the convoluted actual title is) since they’re such Hampton House Besties?  I mean, I *know* why they’re not inviting Charlotte and Miranda (so…much…messiness in those families right now) but odd that they didn’t merit a perfunctory mention.

My fun new favorite speculative plotline that didn’t happen -probably because it would give Aidan a plotline that isn’t “oh, Carrie, you are my long lost true love!  Every single moment without you has been agony!” — what if Aidan had to come to New York as co-owner (or “silent partner”) of Steve’s bar to do an asset evaluation while Steve and Miranda are dividing up their assets, *then* he has to run into Carrie.  

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

One thing I have not been able to stand is how self righteous Miranda has ALWAYS been. She cheated on her husband and left him, and when he didn’t want to move out she pulled the “mortgage only has my name on it”. And never not once did she admit how she felt when Steve cheated on her!!!!

Like I said upthread, Steve’s comment about Brady was below the belt, but given that Miranda STARTED THE SHIT, and is generally in the wrong, and he immediately apologized afterwards, I am still giving him grace. Miranda left FIRST. She didn’t have to come back to the house, Brady is 18!!

But I think what Steve said had some truth to it. Miranda said in the second movie “I changed who I was for you”- she always felt like she was the one changing to be with Steve, and how dare he not capitulate, and now what she says goes. Steve is a person not her personal robot. I wouldn’t mind Miranda acting like this if someone besides Steve would call her out on it. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

Yeah, I’m confused that this is even a debatable point. Miranda didn’t ask Steve to get back together because she was jealous of Debbie - she was in a healthy, loving relationship with a man who was crazy about her and Brady, a man who is more on her “level,” so to speak, than Steve ever was. But she realized that while she had the “perfect” man, she truly loved the “flawed” one more, because Steve was “the one.”

I don’t think Steve was the one. I think she enjoyed him, they had great sex and had a child together, with all those things in the “pot of life” their being together and getting married made sense. I think if Steve was “the one” they wouldn’t have had all their issues in the second movie, and she wouldn’t be treating him so callously now. I’m not saying people truly in love don’t go through rough spots (of course they do!) but there can’t be love without respect and she doesn’t respect him. 

I think Steve always served a function for her, and when one of those major functions was gone (raising the child), she lost use and respect for him. How she’s treated him as been AWFUL, all about her guilt, not about his feelings or his legitimate anger (after she went though the same thing a decade before!)

• Like 3

I really wish they had written Miranda to go off into the Hollywood sunset permanently at the end of the first season and then in this season just show her interacting with Carrie and Charlotte delivering a quip or two each episode by phone. Actually, perhaps they should have killed off this character instead of Big because...never mind, in a way they actually did because this pratfalling Miranda bears little resemblance to the SATC Miranda. I also wish they hadn't hooked her up with Che because Che is far more likable with any other character.  

• Like 5
(edited)

I like to play “AJLT- alternative history without Cynthia Nixon’s meddling”. So, imagine it:  Che would’ve been Carrie’s funny friend, from the podcast.  No involvement with Miranda.  Most likely, no TV pilot, no trip to California for either Che or Miranda.  No crying over identity, no devastation and crisis when the pilot wasn’t picked up.  Just a nice example of a funny non-binary individual with ups and downs like everyone else.  (A point Che actually made regarding the crying scene in the pilot, btw.).   Miranda would’ve had a midlife crisis, resulting in a gradual realization that she did not want to be with Steve.  (They would’ve had to do that to set up conflict and potential for new storylines.  We all love Steve, but happy marriages do not a tv show make).  This would have put us where we are right now, a full year and a half in.  Miranda moving on, moving in with her friend Nya (and we would’ve seen more of that friendship), and Che a funny minor character, like Anthony or Stanford, who would give us a diverse perspective. That’s the show this was supposed to be, and I hope that’s the one we are going to get from now on.  Maybe we can pretend the last season and half of this one was Miranda’s dream, like on Dallas. (Dated reference).  It’s almost like the writers have finally decided to go back to the original plan. 

Also, why is Lisa in this show? She seems like she’s in her own show, about her wonderful family.  Again, great idea for a show, but it’s not this show.  These women are privileged, yes.  But they also have tribulations with their relationships, etc.   Lisa is privileged, but she doesn’t appear to get into funny situations or have interesting interpersonal conflicts beyond “my husband doesn’t understand my career.” (Which, he really does, in the end. Every time.). I don’t want to watch a show about that, I want to watch a show about the adventures of women, and their relationships, etc.  And we already have Charlotte for happy family/dumb husband storylines.  It’s insulting that they brought in this character to make the show more diverse and this is all we get, a Cosby show retread. 

Also, why didn’t she take up the husband’s offer of a ride?  And why were we treated to a scene of an old lady watching her put on a wig?  I mean, I get the whole empowerment message, I suppose, but she was offered a ride.  And there are far worse things to befall Black working mothers than their very expensive wig possibly getting wet. Was she walking in the snow to prove a point to the husband? Dumb idea.  Not the ( snowy) hill to die on.  I couldn’t tell if the old lady was supporting her or frowning on the whole thing like the mother in law. 

Edited by Rebecca berkowit
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2
28 minutes ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Miranda would’ve had a midlife crisis, resulting in a gradual realization that she did not want to be with Steve.  (They would’ve had to do that to set up conflict and potential for new storylines.  We all love Steve, but happy marriages do not a tv show make).

I get what you're saying, but that is just lazy on the writers' part. They could have set up the new characters with the conflicts with the "old guard" supporting with B or C plots.

The way this show has shaken out, the legacy of the original series is tarnished for many if not outright ruined. New characters were a blank slate and could have done anything and gone anywhere.

Miranda/Steve were opposites, but no one will convince me that S6 and Miranda's epiphany of loving Steve was some mirage. Cynthia Nixon wanting to play out her real life is what ruined Miranda, IMO. Not because she was married to Steve.

Miranda/Steve and Charlotte/Harry could have been the stable tentpoles for widow Carrie and add Seema more to the mix. Nya and/or Lisa, too.

This show instead wanted to check boxes and push agendas, not show real life with mature women.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
35 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Miranda/Steve were opposites, but no one will convince me that S6 and Miranda's epiphany of loving Steve was some mirage.

I don't view it as a mirage.  I view it as nearly 20 years of marriage passing, and old problems they had before they married, and during their marriage, catching up to them.  Heck, their marriage was already in trouble during the first movie, and that was just a few years in.  I don't love the way the storyline with Che and Miranda was handled, but if you asked me who was the least stable couple on the show, Miranda and Steve would have been it.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't view it as a mirage.  I view it as nearly 20 years of marriage passing, and old problems they had before they married, and during their marriage, catching up to them.  Heck, their marriage was already in trouble during the first movie, and that was just a few years in.  I don't love the way the storyline with Che and Miranda was handled, but if you asked me who was the least stable couple on the show, Miranda and Steve would have been it.  

We'll just agree to disagree here. All good!

I know they had issues, but they overcame them, despite MPK's revisionist history. And Miranda looked pretty happy with her life in that awful second movie.

Sure, people change, but this show was never tied too strongly to reality to begin with. So in that vein, I don't think Miranda/Steve still being happy was impossible.

But now Miranda is ruined, and I don't want Steve near this new her, so I guess both camps sort of got a win.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On 7/20/2023 at 10:54 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

Now, this show, with all the nuance of a sledgehammer, I can't say the same for. It sounds like they are bringing Aidan back as a saintly deus ex machina.

I hope the squirrel gets a cameo.

• LOL 10
On 7/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, luna1122again said:

I know not everyone is an Aidan fan, but what is this person's problem with Aidan? It feels personal. AIDAN is a 'dirtbag ex'? Aidan caused problems in Carrie's relationship with Big? Isn't this at least slightly revisionist history?  (frankly, it feels way more than slightly to me, but again, I know some folks just hate Aidan, and he and Carrie did kiss while married to others, which, ick, so okay.) For me, Big was the problematic dirtbag ex. Of course, you can always have more than one of those.

I never liked Aidan because he's just so smug.   But to be fair, Carrie treated him like shit.   More than once.   Remember her scathing outburst when she burned herself at the cabin?   Or how horrible she was when he was renovating her apartment?   He was an idiot for being attracted to her.

• Like 6
On 7/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, zamp33 said:

I was happy to see Steve finally express his sadness and anger. I do not understand why Miranda was so indignant after she found the condom. I think she expected him to keep moping and not living his life after she left him, moved out (across the country) and upended their whole lives. 

Miranda doesn't feel possessive of Steve until she notices that somebody else might want him.   She was this way in SATC, desperately wanting Steve only after he started dating somebody else.

The real question is why Steve ever wanted her.   She was horrible to him in the original series.  Just awful.  She regarded him as her social and intellectual inferior -- in so many ways he was Brooklyn to her Manhattan.   Remember how she treated him when he asked her to watch him practice his free throws down at the basketball court?   Or when he brought home the puppy?   The only time she was genuinely considerate of him was when he had testicular cancer.   That's what it took to get Miranda to see him as a human being.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, millennium said:

Miranda doesn't feel possessive of Steve until she notices that somebody else might want him.   She was this way in SATC, desperately wanting Steve only after he started dating somebody else.

The real question is why Steve ever wanted her.   She was horrible to him in the original series.  Just awful.  She regarded him as her social and intellectual inferior -- in so many ways he was Brooklyn to her Manhattan.   Remember how she treated him when he asked her to watch him practice his free throws down at the basketball court?   Or when he brought home the puppy?   The only time she was genuinely considerate of him was when he had testicular cancer.   That's what it took to get Miranda to see him as a human being.

Just a few things I think about in regards to the Steve / Miranda pairing, the SATC one, that is. It's not like I   think Steve did nothing wrong, but no one is all good or all bad.  I don't expect to change anyone's opinion or anything.

If Miranda hadn't  really loved Steve she'd have gone on and gotten more deeply involved with Dr. Rob and  just dealt with him as Brady's dad.

Plus at a time when it benefited no one but him, she encouraged Steve to follow his dream and open his own bar with Aiden. She knew he'd feel better about himself if he was a businessman as opposed to another almost 40 year old bartender in NYC.

The suit conflict; Miranda genuinely  wanted to treat him to a modern suit and have him with her at that company function and introduce him to her piers. I could never ever see say Charlotte not caring that the guy in the picture was  making less money and being content to do more of the paying ... or even Carrie, for that matter. That signaled to me she cared about the person, not what he could do for her.

Same goes when it came to planning a wedding. Charlotte was concerned with Trey being perfect "on paper"  and the 14K Vera Wang dress and went ahead and walked down the aisle despite `ahem` problems and not being on the same page as far as wanting a family and all. Miranda was content to get married in a city garden because she  wanted  to be with Steve and didn't care about impressing people.

You add in her support when he had cancer and her caring for his mother and she was in no way always horrible to Steve, IMO.

I hate that he cheated on her (sexless period or not), but she must have loved Steve and been heavily invested in the relationship  to have decided she could and would forgive him and move on.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

We are of the same mind. And although they have done trippy things with Miranda’s character, being dismissive of Steve’s feelings, throwing the fact that the mortgage was in her name was RIGHT in line with Miranda as a character. 

• Like 8

I’m of both camps. I do believe on SATC Miranda did love Steve, no amount of gaslighting from ATJL is going to change that. But her being dismissive of his feelings and treating their relationship like a big chore was nothing new—that’s what happened in the movie after all.

I didn’t always like Miranda for those reasons. But even at her worst, I’d still take that Miranda over the one we’re stuck with now.

• Like 7
16 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Paid off or not it is in Miranda's name, Steve would have to (in a legal sense) buy Miranda out if he wanted the house if Miranda was willing to do that. 

In a state like NY where we have no fault divorce, property acquired during a marriage (even if only one person's name is on the title) is considered martial property. It's not as if Steve had only lived in the brownstone for a few months (where Miranda might be able to argue that he had no real attachment to the home), but he's lived there for nearly two decades. He can document making material improvements that increased the value of the brownstone. He can also document that even if his name was not on the mortgage that he contributed financially to the family with his own income. In an event like this, generally the house would be sold and the proceeds divided equally or one partner can buy out the other for their half of the market value of the home. What Miranda does not have the right to do is to unilaterally evict Steve or claim that he has no right to equal ownership.

And since Miranda was the one that left the marital home for around a year to live with someone else, Steve has grounds to claim that Miranda's attachment to the home is not as great as his and that if one person had a right to live there, it would be him. Again, the most equitable thing would be to sell the home and split to proceeds, but Miranda's argument that Steve should leave because she decided to return home after a year would be thrown out of any divorce negotiations pretty quickly. I don't get why Miranda wants to push Steve out when he has always been more attached to their home than her except to throw her weight around and put herself in the dominant position despite the fact that she was the one who is choosing to end their marriage.

There was a recent TikTok posting that noted that Miranda always seemed most comfortable in relationships where she was seen to be in a better social or financial position than her partner (Steve & Skipper), but struggles when she and her partner are more equals. She was an emotional mess when dating Robert, and ended up going back to Steve. And she had always been the one who treated her sexual relationship with Steve as something that could be put on the back burner when she had something that she felt was more important to focus on. Like in the first movie when after not having had sex with her husband for months and finally getting overcome with a moment of passion, she told Steve to hurry up because she had to be at the office early the next day. 

The more I look at their relationship, the more Team Steve I become.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think Steve was the one. I think she enjoyed him, they had great sex and had a child together, with all those things in the “pot of life” their being together and getting married made sense. I think if Steve was “the one” they wouldn’t have had all their issues in the second movie, and she wouldn’t be treating him so callously now. I’m not saying people truly in love don’t go through rough spots (of course they do!) but there can’t be love without respect and she doesn’t respect him. 

She seemed pretty happy in the original SATC and in the movie it was her work and over pressure of work that basically almost ruined the marriage which resulted in Steve having a one night stand (no its not an excuse).  But in the end it was mentioned that she found a job where she was valued but she didn't have to put in the time that she did at her old firm for partnership.

I think both Miranda and Steve have the issue of "ok i am in a relationship, i can let myself go and not work on the relationship".  Miranda did it when she was giving work her whole attention and they both again were at fault when covid hit and they got into the rut of drinking, eating ice cream and watching tv instead of maybe - i dunno, reconnecting and talking about themselves to each other. 

Relationships take work and Charlotte/Harry and Big/Carrie both worked at their marriages/relationships.  Steve and Miranda just let it go.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, T Summer said:

Just a few things I think about in regards to the Steve / Miranda pairing, the SATC one, that is. It's not like I   think Steve did nothing wrong, but no one is all good or all bad.  I don't expect to change anyone's opinion or anything.

If Miranda hadn't  really loved Steve she'd have gone on and gotten more deeply involved with Dr. Rob and  just dealt with him as Brady's dad.

Plus at a time when it benefited no one but him, she encouraged Steve to follow his dream and open his own bar with Aiden. She knew he'd feel better about himself if he was a businessman as opposed to another almost 40 year old bartender in NYC.

The suit conflict; Miranda genuinely  wanted to treat him to a modern suit and have him with her at that company function and introduce him to her piers. I could never ever see say Charlotte not caring that the guy in the picture was  making less money and being content to do more of the paying ... or even Carrie, for that matter. That signaled to me she cared about the person, not what he could do for her.

Same goes when it came to planning a wedding. Charlotte was concerned with Trey being perfect "on paper"  and the 14K Vera Wang dress and went ahead and walked down the aisle despite `ahem` problems and not being on the same page as far as wanting a family and all. Miranda was content to get married in a city garden because she  wanted  to be with Steve and didn't care about impressing people.

You add in her support when he had cancer and her caring for his mother and she was in no way always horrible to Steve, IMO.

I hate that he cheated on her (sexless period or not), but she must have loved Steve and been heavily invested in the relationship  to have decided she could and would forgive him and move on.

You summed up perfectly why I loved their love story the most, even over the main pairing of Carrie/Big.

There was a tinge of sadness in Miranda when Steve fulfilled his dream but not with her. And Steve even acknowledged that he would not have the guts to pursue it if it weren’t for Miranda.

The suit episode, I can’t forget about Miranda saying “Forget the suit…” while trying hard not to cry, knowing Steve was going to break up with her because  he was highly insecure.

Re: Steve’s mom - it was Miranda who told Steve his mom could live with them. Steve didn’t have to ask.

Miranda didn’t care the Steve didn’t have money, or that he wasn’t from a pedigreed family, or that she won’t have the fancy wedding, or fancy ring. She was just really drawn to him, that’s why I think Steve was the one for Miranda. For the high-powered attorney, the overachiever, caustic, sarcastic character among the four ladies, she was the one who worried the least about appearances and money.

• Like 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, Rebecca berkowit said:

Also, why is Lisa in this show? She seems like she’s in her own show, about her wonderful family.  Again, great idea for a show, but it’s not this show.  These women are privileged, yes.  But they also have tribulations with their relationships, etc.   Lisa is privileged, but she doesn’t appear to get into funny situations or have interesting interpersonal conflicts beyond “my husband doesn’t understand my career.” (Which, he really does, in the end. Every time.). I don’t want to watch a show about that, I want to watch a show about the adventures of women, and their relationships, etc.  And we already have Charlotte for happy family/dumb husband storylines.  It’s insulting that they brought in this character to make the show more diverse and this is all we get, a Cosby show retread. 

This!!!!  

And I'll add that Nya doesn't really even have her own show within a show.  I don't feel like I even know more than a  few basic facts about her.   She could go "poof" tomorrow and I don't think it would matter at all. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

There was a tinge of sadness in Miranda when Steve fulfilled his dream but not with her. And Steve even acknowledged that he would not have the guts to pursue it if it weren’t for Miranda.

My recollection was Miranda being annoyed because that version of Steve seemed not to exist when they were dating, and she got over it when Steve credited her for the change. 

4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

For the high-powered attorney, the overachiever, caustic, sarcastic character among the four ladies, she was the one who worried the least about appearances and money.

I think Miranda worried about appearances plenty.  I can think of the episode where she imagined she would die alone and be eaten by her cat, where she got braces and immediately got them yanked, gained weight due to the baby, complained about the reaction to her being a single woman at her mother's funeral, freaked out over moving to Brooklyn, etc.  That isn't to say appearances consumed her, but I think she was very aware of them.   

• Like 4

There was easily a hundred thousand bucks worth of clothes in this episode.  Carrie's dumb coat in the snow probably cost 20 grand.  (Source: tomandlorenzo.com).  They have some wardrobe budget - even if they're rentals.

Julie White!!!  The star of the episode!

This really was a good episode, except for the Goldenblatt-Yorks.  I'm just gonna go on thinking that parents don't trudge through snowstorms to deliver birth control to their kid who's about to have sex for the first time, okay?

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Miranda worried about appearances plenty.  I can think of the episode where she imagined she would die alone and be eaten by her cat, where she got braces and immediately got them yanked, gained weight due to the baby, complained about the reaction to her being a single woman at her mother's funeral, freaked out over moving to Brooklyn, etc.  That isn't to say appearances consumed her, but I think she was very aware of them.

I guess I should have prefaced and specify re: her dating and preferences of men, Miranda seemed to be the least snobbish and vain amongst the four. Charlotte seemed to be always very aware of the status of guys she’s dating - his surname, his numerals, his suits, his occupation, etc. Carrie, less so, but I think part of the reason she was drawn to Big, aside from him being the unattainable, was his stature. She’s also dated well off guys like Aidan and Berger. And we know Samantha was just concerned about one thing.

On personal appearances, yes of course, all of them are very conscious and very vain. Because - in Carrie voice - they live in Manhattan, after all.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1