Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Bomb Cyclone

• Start Topic

On 7/21/2023 at 4:01 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. I think if Carrie had wanted children Big wouldn’t have gotten back with her long term. I think one of the reasons Carrie was so attractive to him in his later years was because she wouldn’t want to devote time to caregiving (either children or an elderly parent) and could pay attention to him. I don’t think Carrie regretted her abortion either. I think she probably wishes she wouldn’t have had to get one, but she didn’t want to be a mother. 

IMO, for Big, Carrie "checked a lot of boxes" so he finally gave in to the relationship. She was younger, no kids, no ex she still had to be involved with, no parents. He didn't care that she didn't have money because he had plenty and it was one of several things that gave him most of the power in the relationship.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:32 AM, TakomaSnark said:

How well did she know him, really? Hot producer guy was a background figure for all of season one until the very end of it, and all we knew of their relationship in S2 is that he was her Thursday f*ck buddy. It would have been a good opportunity to demonstrate why condoms are necessary at any age but I guess MPK thinks the reality of older people having sex is squicky and sticks with the fantasy of 'a really hot lay won't have anything gross like a STD. He'll just want to date you outright!' - which of course was the real dealbreaker for Carrie.

In the '90s when these gals were in their 20s and early 30s they would have seen lots of messages to use condoms because of STDs of all sorts, and that they're not so reliable as birth control. Did they ever say that her Thursday-night guy was exclusive with her? If he's having sex with someone else, even once, then there's the risk he'll get an STD and pass it on.

On 7/25/2023 at 11:13 AM, TakomaSnark said:

In the pilot episode, when she bumps into Big for the first time on the street, a roll of condoms is one of the items that he picks up from her spilled purse.

If I recall correctly, in the diaphragm episode, the girls pick up on Carrie using one as evidence she's seeing someone regularly - which is how they come to know she's hooking up with Big again. 

Right, this underlines how in the era when SATC was set and filmed most young women, and guys too, especially in NYC dating circles, were very conscious of using and carrying condoms to prevent STDs. At least that's how it was for me and people I knew.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, retired watcher said:

Help me. Who is playing Patty Thompson the comedian at the Widow Con? Her face is so familiar and it's not on IMDB. I can picture her younger but the name escapes me.

It's Julie White...Broadway actress, she was also in Grace Under Fire and Nurse Jackie and a billion other things. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, luna1122again said:

It's Julie White...Broadway actress, she was also in Grace Under Fire and Nurse Jackie and a billion other things. 

I just finished a rewatch of Nurse Jackie a couple weeks ago.  Julie White was great in her role.  I also watched the one season Matthew Perry sitcom Go On recently.  Julie played a widow on that show as well.  She is fabulous in everything she does.

• Like 3

I'm watching Law and Order season 1 episode 16 Torrents of Greed and there she (Julie White) is playing a waitress being interviewed by Detective Logan (a.k.a.Big) and Sgt. Greevy!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
On 7/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, zamp33 said:

I hope this means that Miranda and Che have finally broken up.  Both of the characters are much more likable when they are not with one another. Miranda just had a completely different personality when it came to Che. I actually enjoyed Che supporting Carrie and trying to come up with a joke for Carrie tell before the reading. 

I was happy to see Steve finally express his sadness and anger. I do not understand why Miranda was so indignant after she found the condom. I think she expected him to keep moping and not living his life after she left him, moved out (across the country) and upended their whole lives. 

Che is a 100 times more interesting when they're not on, mugging for attention so obnoxiously. Maybe it was the depression and maybe they were just being a good friend to Carrie but I liked their subdued mien at the WidowCon.

Because now Miranda could play the victim and make Steve the bad guy.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:29 AM, violet and green said:

I'm glad Steve finally shouted at Miranda, but directionwise it needed a beat before the apologising and remorse. How AJLT became the Miranda show, instead of the Carrie show still bemuses me. I never liked Aiden, but his reappearance might even things out a bit.

Agreed, the sudden jumps from the two of them screaming the most hateful things at each other (which Miranda absolutely deserved) to the tears (get the hell over yourself, Miranda) to the apology gave me whiplash.

On 7/21/2023 at 2:20 AM, WendyCR72 said:

So, I saw a clip [as Twitter was celebrating, and someone clipped the segment!] of Steve reading Miranda for filth. OMG! I ♥ IT!

Steve told NO LIES. This was what I wanted, and David Eigenberg/Steve DELIVERED.

The only thing I didn't like was Steve once again being the bigger person and apologizing. He had nothing to apologize FOR.

PREACH.

On 7/21/2023 at 1:37 PM, bluegirl147 said:

When I heard that line I cringed. That is totally something a guy who is only with you for sex would say. 

It was unbelievably crass.

On 7/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, monagatuna said:

I also liked Che's chemistry with Carrie. I don't think anyone had a problem with them at the start of the series--it wasn't until they hooked up with Miranda and she turned into a pod person that everyone started hating Che.

I wasn't that crazy about Che from the start when they hotboxed Carrie in the elevator. That's incredibly rude. But yes, after that scene in Carrie's kitchen was when I really disliked them.

On 7/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, greekmom said:

Still nope. Honestly if it's true that CN wanted Sara as Miranda's love interest because she has some crazy crush on Sara, if I was in Sara's place, I would be a bit put out. But that's me.

It's completely unprofessional and skeevy. I would be seriously creeped out if some married dude cast me as his love interest--throwing aside originally laid plans for the storyline in the process--just so he could do sex scenes with me.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

It's completely unprofessional and skeevy. I would be seriously creeped out if some married dude cast me as his love interest--throwing aside originally laid plans for the storyline in the process--just so he could do sex scenes with me.

I agree it is. But I believe it’s true!

• Applause 2
On 7/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, T Summer said:

This is hilarious that we are all so invested in these fictional characters...

but being I am part of we: No one EVER said Steve and Miranda hadn't had sex in a year. He said during his confession you and I hadn't had sex in a really long time.

Miranda didn't say "just get it over with"

She said Lets just get it over with, followed by something about having to get up early.

Here:

https://www.satctranscripts.com/2008/09/sex-and-city-movie-1.html

Dialogue from shitty movie#1

"Yeah. Yeah. - Wait. Wait. Don't come already.
- Yeah. - No, wait. Get on top.
Let's just get it over with. I mean, we gotta get up in four and a half hours.
We never have sex and you wanna get it over with?
Steve, we have sex.
When was the last time we had sex? There was snow on the ground."

Spin it any way you want it, it was still a shitty thing to say. “Let’s get this over with” is in the top 10 list of turn-offs, especially when you are RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF DOING IT.

I still can’t believe Miranda had the audacity to act like Steve should move out just because her name was on the mortgage. She didn’t seem to care about that when she was ready to play house with Che in LA indefinitely. All that bullshit about feeling guilty, yet she never takes the initiative to find her own place and let Steve keep the house HE fixed up?! And after all her whining about living in Brooklyn was beneath her?

Crying like a fucking baby does not automatically win you sympathy, Miranda.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2

I didn't spin it, I just provided the actual dialogue   as someone had said Miranda and Steve hadn't had sex in a year and that Miranda said just get it over with.

You are correct hearing any version of that would be a tremendous turn off, no disagreement there. However,  Let's just get it over with, we gotta get   up in 4+1/2 hours when Steve was trying to extend their love making session is marginally better than if Miranda had simply said to Steve just get it over with.

I don't want to be in the position of defending whatever podperson these shitty writers had inhabiting Miranda's body, as she did a bunch of shitty things, but she seemed to be going with Steve's declaration that he'd move out. It is unfair for the person who blew up the marriage to put their spouse in the position of having to find a new place to live, I agree there too.

Unfortunately when marriages end (unless one spouse can afford to buy the other out)  the home has to be sold and proceeds split so both people can find a new place to live. Whether the man did carpentry  work to customize that home or the woman furnished it doesn't  enter into it.

In War of the Roses Kathleen Turner's character was convinced the marital home was hers and not her attorney husband's because she found the house and chose and placed every piece of furniture in it. I'm sure most people would find such a statement to be quite ludicrous.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, T Summer said:

I don't want to be in the position of defending whatever podperson these shitty writers had inhabiting Miranda's body, as she did a bunch of shitty things, but she seemed to be going with Steve's declaration that he'd move out. It is unfair for the person who blew up the marriage to put their spouse in the position of having to find a new place to live, I agree there too.

Unfortunately when marriages end (unless one spouse can afford to buy the other out)  the home has to be sold and proceeds split so both people can find a new place to live. Whether the man did carpentry  work to customize that home or the woman furnished it doesn't  enter into it

Steve can apparently afford to keep the place, and Miranda doesn’t give a shit about Brooklyn. So again, there was no reason for her not to stop Steve from being the nice guy and just say, “Since I’m the one that met someone else, I’ll move out” and just transfer the mortgage to Steve’s name—can people do that?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Steve can apparently afford to keep the place, and Miranda doesn’t give a shit about Brooklyn. So again, there was no reason for her not to stop Steve from being the nice guy and just say, “Since I’m the one that met someone else, I’ll move out” and just transfer the mortgage to Steve’s name—can people do that?

Are you suggesting she should give up all financial interest in the family home because she met someone   else?

When  any given man in history has found someone else and expressed his desire to dissolve the marriage, the family home (a marital asset) didn't then become solely the property of the wife as some sort of punitive action.

I'm assuming revenue from Steve's bar Scout and Miranda's salary as an attorney  went to  pay the mortgage on the home, so when they divorce it would have  to be sold and the proceeds shared, unless one can afford to  and agrees to buy the other out.

Also Steve's long overdue outburst, however satisfying to those  thinking how could Miranda do that to him?

...did contain some rash, emotionally charged and  incorrect statements.

1. Just because Miranda expressed reticence  to move to Brooklyn when they first started searching for a place to live when she was expecting, and later realized if that they were to have a house looking outside Manhattan would be necessary...

...does not equate to Miranda hating Brooklyn or never wanting to move there.

2. Just because Miranda unexpectedly conceived a child when she was a single attorney working a demanding schedule, and she briefly considered terminating the pregnancy  wondering how she might possibly make caring for a child work...

...does not mean she never wanted Brady.

• Like 1

Miranda bitched about Brooklyn a billion times, and she was far from a doting mother.  

In the whole series, I can barely remember a time she was genuinely excited to have Brady.  Maybe the school competition that she blew off work to get to (late.)

It wasn’t a nice thing for him to say, but he was more right than wrong. 

On 7/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, T Summer said:

No one EVER said Steve and Miranda hadn't had sex in a year. He said during his confession you and I hadn't had sex in a really long time.

She tells the girls it was six months of no sex prior to the “Let’s just get it over with.”

Then at the start of AJLT I believe she says it’s been a year, possibly “years.”  

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Miranda bitched about Brooklyn a billion times, and she was far from a doting mother.  

In the whole series, I can barely remember a time she was genuinely excited to have Brady.  Maybe the school competition that she blew off work to get to (late.)

It wasn’t a nice thing for him to say, but he was more right than wrong. 

She tells the girls it was six months of no sex prior to the “Let’s just get it over with.”

Then at the start of AJLT I believe she says it’s been a year, possibly “years.”  

We see this differently, which is just fine. To me SATC era Miranda wasn't an asshole who didn't deal fairly with people.

Just because she said she was a Manhattan girl when they were looking for a place together,  and I  can remember  maybe one other  remark like no one is ever coming out to see us  in Brooklyn, but yeah...

I would not crucify her for taking a rather short bit of time to get her head around the life changes necessary to have a child and  then eventually to make a go of the marriage to Steve. When she got pregnant unexpectedly she was having a hard time cutting back from a 60 hour work week. She had to insist when Brady was born, so she could spend more time with him.

Miranda made a major career change by going to a smaller law firm where she could have more flexibility in her schedule, so she could be a more involved mother.

The conversation I replied to was about when Steve cheated on Miranda and someone was suggesting it was understandable if not justified, because they hadn't had sex in a year. I did provide the video of Steve's confession, in which he said you and I hadn't had sex in a really long time... not what I thought I recalled.

I also provided the dialogue  from the scene that included  "lets just get it over with" and I explained where the addition of the word lets in that context makes a difference (to me anyway).

If you say Miranda  said to Steve Just get it over with it suggests she isn't into it at all.

She was about to climax and Steve suggested she not yet, and change position. Then she said lets just get it over with, we gotta get up in four and a half hours.

The way she said, "let's just get it over with!" was an asshole move, IMO. Especially since Miranda had all the time in the world for Carrie and her inane bullshit.

If my spouse said, "let's just get it over with!" after not having sex for MONTHS, making it out to be a chore and sounding like he was resigning herself to a root canal without Novocaine, and yet could go off with his buddies 24/7, I know I'd be VERY pissed and hurt.

I wouldn't cheat as Steve did, but I can also understand - if not condone - just why he did what he did. And at least it was a one-off mistake.

Unlike the Che disaster.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The way she said, "let's just get it over with!" was an asshole move, IMO. Especially since Miranda had all the time in the world for Carrie and her inane bullshit.

If my spouse said, "let's just get it over with!" after not having sex for MONTHS, making it out to be a chore and sounding like he was resigning herself to a root canal without Novocaine, and yet could go off with his buddies 24/7, I know I'd be VERY pissed and hurt.

I wouldn't cheat as Steve did, but I can also understand - if not condone - just why he did what he did. And at least it was a one-off mistake.

Unlike the Che disaster.

This.

And don’t you just love how Miranda treated Steve wanting to wash his hands before sex like the “Let’s just get it over with” crack? There is a huge difference between the two. Washing your hands before sex is very reasonable, especially in the time of COVID. Snapping at your husband to finish up, even if you have to get up early tomorrow and acting like sex is just a big chore you want to get over with so you can spend more free time branching with your girlfriends is just rude and says a lot about how little you value your relationship. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, T Summer said:

I also provided the dialogue  from the scene that included  "lets just get it over with" and I explained where the addition of the word lets in that context makes a difference (to me anyway).

Her three best friends (who have supported many horrible things she's said/done) didn't seem to think the addition of "let's" made a difference: 

8 hours ago, T Summer said:

Miranda made a major career change by going to a smaller law firm where she could have more flexibility in her schedule, so she could be a more involved mother.

I have to disagree here that she left her firm because she wanted to be more involved with Brady. Getting to "be there" more was a side effect of her leaving her firm, but really she left because they were dismissive of her and even gave her big client away to a male colleague the day of Brady's science fair.  

• Like 4

Oh believe me I wouldn't want to hear just get it over with or lets just get it over with! We're all in agreement there.  I just explained why one in the context of not wanting to extend a lovemaking session she was fully into  wasn't quite as bad as someone who does not enjoy sex  with their husband saying just get it over with.

Miranda had a demanding job and probably feared she couldn't function at the proper level function on less than 4+1/2 hours sleep.

It's all good  that you don't see it that way, that's why we all have so much to discuss here with each other. Speaking of which, only two more episodes to go!

I feel  these writers and  CN as an EP  really transformed Miranda's character for the worse. I just don't share the opinion of those who think she was always bad to Steve and not that involved  a mother.

• Useful 1