Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Curtis House

He actually called the food limper than my granddad's dick.  Gotta love the brit humour.

What a disgusting chef.  I really hate it that chefs feel they have to put their hands on every ingredient.  That's why I don't need fussy vertical food.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 6

One of the better eps I've seen. I wanted to bang the brother and sister's heads together like a coupla coconuts but they came around decently in the end. The decor was tasteful and period appropriate. Gordon seemed to give an actual shit about the outcome. Babe was cute. I really hope they succeed.

• Love 2

They've been getting good reviews so hopefully they are sticking with Gordon's plan. And being on a ghost tour helps. A lot. We have one of those here in my small town, and they are having a "hunt" on Friday night.

The chef/brother was a hot mess. He was just downright nasty, and even at the end the camera showed that huge brown stain on his white chef's coat.

• Love 2

Living in CT, I enjoyed this episode.  I know the town, it's about a half hour from where I live now.  I noticed that Gordon actually respected the place and some of the people, and with good reason given the history.  I loved their mother - she was a quintessential old Yankee from way back of a breed that is almost extinct by now.  I also loved Babe and the neice or whoever she was.  The brother and sister were just toxic together and apart from each other.  I wish the inn lots of luck in spite of those two.  The food did look like hospital food, LOL.  There is a really big retirement community not too far from there, but when the older people say the food tastes "institutional", you know it's bad!  For once the walls weren't some hideous bright green and they worked around the antiques.  I am sure that's because most of that stuff was definitely not junk.  For once these people were the real deal, not some posers changing up the details of their lives to create more drama.  OK, maybe the friction between siblings was exaggerated.  I like Ramsay better when he's genuinely respectful of the hotel and the owners.  Too bad they take on so many train wrecks and wackos on this show.

ETA:  I also think it's cool that they got their name on that haunted listing - That's actually a big point of interest with people around these parts.  An old tavern/restaurant in my town is on that list and people are always talking about how it's haunted and go there just because it's supposed to be haunted.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 2

I was glad to see the siblings work out their differences near the end. I'm also happy that the place has been getting good reviews. As Intuition brought up, the "haunted" designation should help them generate more business. The hotel has been around since the 1700s, it would be a shame for it to die off now. Hopefully, they continue to get more business. I, too, thought that he makeover made sense for the property.

And, of course, we get a Gordon shower shot. You can't have a Gordon without him taking off something at some point.

• Love 1

I'm done with this show now.   I hate that Ramsey keeps finding jerks who don't deserve help, and giving them gifts and the benefit of his expertise.   It's only mildly interesting to me now.  And all it takes is ramsey telling people  "You're family!  Work together!"  and magically they hug and make up, put years of resentment behind them and never argue again.  

I guess I would want to say "you're assholes, you deserve to fail."   And then have the show help someone who was actually trying to do something right, but needed a little help. 

I"m not sure who thinks we need to see Ramsey  take off his shorts and step into the bath tub, either.   Every episode, he's either bare-assed or in a speedo - or both.  Enough already.  

• Love 3

I'll start by saying that I love all the gratuitous mostly naked Gordon shots. They make me giggle and I look forward to them every episode.

What I was wondering was who was the niece/server? At first I thought she was a niece of both owners which would make her the daughter of some unmentioned sibling and I wanted to know what was up with that. But then I thought  heard her call the female owner Mom. Did anyone else hear that? Because I think they'd call her Daughter, not Niece on the captions,

• Love 2

What I was wondering was who was the niece/server? At first I thought she was a niece of both owners which would make her the daughter of some unmentioned sibling and I wanted to know what was up with that. But then I thought  heard her call the female owner Mom. Did anyone else hear that? Because I think they'd call her Daughter, not Niece on the captions

The niece/server referred to the owners as "Uncle Chris and Aunt TJ" which would mean there must be another brother or sister that just wasn't in the episode. TJ's daughter was shown during the family "intervention" scene...she was a bigger lady with a white shirt, I think.

• Love 1

I'll start by saying that I love all the gratuitous mostly naked Gordon shots. They make me giggle and I look forward to them every episode.,

It is very much tongue in cheek, I think, and has been a feature in all his shows at one time or another.  It is an endless source of amusement for me; he's such a cheeky little bugger!  :-)

• Love 4

It is very much tongue in cheek, I think, and has been a feature in all his shows at one time or another.  It is an endless source of amusement for me; he's such a cheeky little bugger!  :-)

Which cheek are you talking about?

....I'll show myself out....

I was going to say, I got a strong mental image from the use of the word "cheek" in this particular context.

• Love 2

I'm done with this show now.   I hate that Ramsey keeps finding jerks who don't deserve help, and giving them gifts and the benefit of his expertise.   It's only mildly interesting to me now.  And all it takes is ramsey telling people  "You're family!  Work together!"  and magically they hug and make up, put years of resentment behind them and never argue again.  

I guess I would want to say "you're assholes, you deserve to fail."   And then have the show help someone who was actually trying to do something right, but needed a little help. 

The only episode I have actually felt bad for the owners were the guy who was in a bad car accident and he and his wife were living in the hotel. Every other owner has been an absolute undeserving piece of crap.  I did not feel one ounce of sympathy for any of these Curtis House folks except for the elderly mom.  Maybe I'm cynical but I think that it was pretty obvious that the brother and sister were biding their time until the mom passed away and would sell the inn and make a killing.  I really have a hard time feeling bad for people who just get tons of money thrown in their laps.  I wish Gordon would have asked if any of these people have ever had a real job not working at the inn.  My guess is no.

• Love 2

I rarely feel much sympathy for any of the owners on these restaurant or hotel makeover shows.  Usually they got themselves into a pickle by being unrealistic and not having any experience or background in running a restaurant or hotel.  Then they make it even worse by continuing to run themselves into the ground until it would take a miracle to get them out.  I've actually felt more sympathy for some of the owners on non-Gordon Ramsay shows.

^^  Indeed.  At one point in one of the lobby scenes, at least 3 sentences in his weekly Proclamation o'Disgust were clearly looped as studio voiceovers (the ones right before the fade to commercial).  You (a) couldn't see his mouth; and (b), the lines echoed.

Edited by queenanne