Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/17/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, July 17 — Day of Hot Topics 

Tuesday, July 18 — Day of Hot Topics 

Wednesday, July 19 — The Political View with 2024 Republican Presidential Candidate Will Hurd 

Thursday, July 20 — Day of Hot Topics 

Friday, July 21 – Day of Hot Topics

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Guess with the actor's strike they will not have guests for the remainder of shows till they go on summer break.

Except for ABC news personalities. Maybe they can book ESPN folks and Mickey Mouse. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I'm assuming they could have actors on to talk about the strike (or just their life in general) as I think it's only promotional stuff they aren't allowed to do.  They could also have actual authors on, instead of celebs/politicians hawking books.  That would actually be a nice change of pace.  Speaking of which, when are they going to do the Ladies Get Lit week?  

• Like 2
On 7/14/2023 at 10:03 PM, Snapdragon said:

Speaking of which, when are they going to do the Ladies Get Lit week?  

For 2022 and 2021 they did it at the end of July. Maybe the same this year.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, Snapdragon said:

Speaking of which, when are they going to do the Ladies Get Lit week?  

I imagine them all puffing on a joint whenever anyone mentions the ladies get lit week. Whoopi would just be the same but I'm sure Joy & especially Sunny would be highly amusing (pun intended).

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I believe the first reality TV show was The Loud Family. 1973. 

I think you are right. That was created / intended to be a documentary of a "typical" California family. I think that the various dramas in the family set the template for future reality shows, like The Real World. I think the later shows tended to manufacture the drama rather than let it unfold naturally. 

• Like 1

Sunny's explanation of the Pew research was confusing. (Again, using poll numbers to extrapolate to the whole country is misleading in general, because poll respondents tend to be self-selected and poll questions can skew responses.) Anyway, she said that they said the only 10% of the population are "true independents", meaning they would vote for either party at some point. Maybe this was a mistake in terms, but unless a person is enabled to vote (being a citizen, registered to vote, and not dead), their opinion should not matter, so saying 10% of the population would vote in a particular way is meaningless in terms of potential voting outcomes. 10% of voters at least covers people who might vote one way or another.

The second thing that was strange to me were the figures she quoted, saying 95% would lean Republican and 94% lean Democratic. Again, perhaps an error in speaking, but those figures add up to more than 100% of whatever group was being polled. Perhaps the point was that other than the 10% true independents, about 94% - 95% of voters would tend to lean to one of the two major parties. 

I have no idea if any of the polled figures are accurate, but when reporting the results, they should be clear. These numbers that Sunny gave were confusing.

• Applause 2
6 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny's explanation of the Pew research was confusing. (Again, using poll numbers to extrapolate to the whole country is misleading in general, because poll respondents tend to be self-selected and poll questions can skew responses.) Anyway, she said that they said the only 10% of the population are "true independents", meaning they would vote for either party at some point. Maybe this was a mistake in terms, but unless a person is enabled to vote (being a citizen, registered to vote, and not dead), their opinion should not matter, so saying 10% of the population would vote in a particular way is meaningless in terms of potential voting outcomes. 10% of voters at least covers people who might vote one way or another.

The second thing that was strange to me were the figures she quoted, saying 95% would lean Republican and 94% lean Democratic. Again, perhaps an error in speaking, but those figures add up to more than 100% of whatever group was being polled. Perhaps the point was that other than the 10% true independents, about 94% - 95% of voters would tend to lean to one of the two major parties. 

I have no idea if any of the polled figures are accurate, but when reporting the results, they should be clear. These numbers that Sunny gave were confusing.

This example is the kind of sloppy carelessness that is so prevalent in hot topics.  Is it 10% of the population, 10% of eligible voters or 10% of registered voters?  This happens all the time.  I popped on for hot topics on Friday, when in the first five minutes of the show, Joy said Chris Christie received enough votes to qualify for a spot on the debate stage.  CC didn't receive votes, he received enough campaign contributions.

• Like 1

As an actress, producer and director etc I think Whoopi should not cross the picket line. She is just NOT just on a talk, news or game show.

IMO it is disingenuous of her to pretend to be excluded from the rest of her peers.

• Like 9

Memo to Whoopi-it’s Wimbledon with a D, not Wimbleton with a T.

Why do so many Americans make such a stupid, ignorant mistake? And she’s been over to the UK a fair amount so there’s no excuse for this.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

As an actress, producer and director etc I think Whoopi should not cross the picket line. She is just NOT just on a talk, news or game show.

IMO it is disingenuous of her to pretend to be excluded from the rest of her peers.

I agree.  Whoopi is unique on the panel as an actor first and foremost.  (I know Joy has done some acting too.)  But maybe they feel that since they'll be going on break in 2 weeks she should just ride along and hope things are settled come fall.

I missed Fri's show because of an appointment and yesterday's because of the televised funeral of a fallen police officer.

I agree with Whoopi about sit the Hell down and listen to the music. Sunny and her entitlement saying if she paid $750. she was going to take selfies.  Too bad for the fans sitting behind them. I stopped going to certain concerts because I was sick of people standing up and blocking my view not to mention their  need to sing along to prove they know the lyrics.  I’m not talking about big outdoor venues where  it’s to be expected with certain entertainers.  . 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
21 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Miranda could have handled it better too. Saying her fans were pissing her off wasn’t very respectful either. 

I have not liked Miranda since she said she bought her then husband Blake Shelton a tree stand so he could kill deer.

• Like 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, 2JEWELL said:

paying 750$ for a ticket is showing an artist respect.

The people those ladies were blocking also paid $750.  They should have been able to see a clear view of the stage with no distractions in front of them.  If Sunny were the one being blocked, I'm sure we'd hear about it.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 6
  • Applause 10
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The panel was so busy asking Will Hurd what he thought about other candidates that he didn’t get time to say anything about what his policies would be. 

It seems like they are going with the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy. Unless that person is talented and has good ideas for governing that can be implemented, you might end up with a well-meaning but ineffective leader who's only there because s/he isn't the person you dislike. Unfortunately, the interview with Will Hurd didn't give much information about what he would do and why he's a compelling candidate. 

The one thing Dr Phil taught me before I realized he was full of shit was that when someone says “but” it means they are about to tell you what they really think.  Alyssa said (re the Aldean song) that the racist imagery was bad BUT it’s how her side feels about small towns.  She’s good with that.

Sunny thinks students get on the dean’s list when parents contribute money to schools rather due to their own hard work? That’s pretty cynical.  (I wonder what Gabe’s grades are like.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
45 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Sunny thinks students get on the dean’s list when parents contribute money to schools rather due to their own hard work? That’s pretty cynical.  (I wonder what Gabe’s grades are like.)

The show hasn't been on here yet, so I'm not sure what the context is for this, but this does seem very cynical view. I went to college in the last century so maybe things are very different now, but I was on the Dean's list a few times and my parents couldn't possibly contribute money to the college. Based on my experience, I have no reason to believe that the Dean's List is based on anything other than grades. 

Maybe Gabe hasn't been on the Dean's List and Sunny thinks he should have been, so she has developed this theory. It is a very negative perspective and I think it would be tiring to constantly think that you (or your kid) are always being taken advantage of by people who game the system.

If your degree is based on constant payouts and cheating, what is the value of it? The point is to learn and acquire skills of your own. If you don't do that, then you've done disservice not only to yourself, but to the reputation of everyone who has gotten a degree from that school. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I have been on the Dean's List and it is based on GPA. I have no idea wtf she was talking about. Eta: I know Sunny would accept nothing less from him than a perfect GPA so....

Edited by GiveMeSpace
To add comment
  • Applause 1

Aside from the "Dean's List" misinterpretation, Sunny thinks that the Supreme Court could have said something about "Legacy" admissions - but Affirmative Action was a legal issue that had been put in place by the court, and Legacy admissions are based on school policies. There's no requirement for a school to respect legacy applications; they can choose to do that or not. Legacy admissions seem to be going out of fashion now, which could be good news for applicants to a school they have no family history with but may be a bit of a letdown later on if those graduates would like to see their kids attend the same school. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Way too much to unpack today, from Sunny turning legacy admissions into a race issue that the supreme court should have dealt with to Whoopi wanting to give everyone $15k to Alyssa trying to defend racism to Joy blaming real estate agents for red lining back to Sunny pulling faces all the time like she smelt something bad & whining about the deans list being money based. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

The one thing Dr Phil taught me before I realized he was full of shit was that when someone says “but” it means they are about to tell you what they really think.  Alyssa said (re the Aldean song) that the racist imagery was bad BUT it’s how her side feels about small towns.  She’s good with that.

I actually thought she was talking about a different type of list of people who were friendly with the Dean hand she just called it the deans list), not the list about grades each quarter/semester.  Since they were talking about admissions, not once the kid was in school.  

• Like 3

I like Sunny am not giving Jason Aldean the benefit of the doubt. He knew exactly what he was doing with that song and video.

And Sara's small town experience growing up is not the same for everyone else who grew up in a small town.  And kudos to Joy for saying she has the same experience growing up in a big city.

And Sara's shoulder pads?  Yikes. I don't think even Alexis Colby could have pulled those off.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Sara is so condescending these days. She always acts like she's "correcting" the others yet most of what she says is usually a bigger pile than anything that's being said by any of them--that's when it's not a contradiction of something she herself said months prior, that is.  I'm glad that Ana, Joy, and Sunny have all stopped letting her do that to them.

The Hurd interview earlier this week was interesting, particularly when Sunny asked him about Tim Scott. Kudos to at least being willing to acknowledge basic reality, but I doubt that will earn him much favor. But I also liked Joy bringing up people who have no chance only running to perhaps be a VP pick.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sara is so condescending these days

Even when she says she understands the other side of whatever she is saying I don't think she does.

45 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

But I also liked Joy bringing up people who have no chance only running to perhaps be a VP pick.

It's crazy to me so many people would line up for that.

• Like 3

The panel opined about the problems with having only two major parties, but then jumped on Alyssa for saying that she would probably write in a candidate rather than choose either Biden or Trump. They argue that she'd be "throwing away" her vote, but if she honestly doesn't support either of the candidates, why should she have to pick from two bad choices? Plenty of other people will do that, as they have done before, even in the recent elections IMO. Maybe if enough people write in names, it will show the major parties that they aren't putting up the best candidates. 

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

But I also liked Joy bringing up people who have no chance only running to perhaps be a VP pick.

And THAT is why the candidates are turning a blind eye to everything and dismissing facts. 

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

The panel opined about the problems with having only two major parties, but then jumped on Alyssa for saying that she would probably write in a candidate rather than choose either Biden or Trump. They argue that she'd be "throwing away" her vote, but if she honestly doesn't support either of the candidates, why should she have to pick from two bad choices? Plenty of other people will do that, as they have done before, even in the recent elections IMO. Maybe if enough people write in names, it will show the major parties that they aren't putting up the best candidates. 

I live in a state that never has any surprises with who wins.  I don't like one my Senators even though he is in my party so when he is on the ballot I write in my own name. My doing that doesn't affect the outcome.  But in battleground states doing that can have repercussions. 

• Like 3

Joy might want to visit the Trinity test site sometime. This is the actual site where the atom bomb test was done. It is only open to the public two days a year, once in the spring, once in the fall. It is fascinating to be at the exact spot where the nuclear age was manifested. 

(edited)

Loved the first segment, mostly Ana blowing apart the game Alyssa's playing, really just a coward's how-to. She knows supporting Trump openly will make anyone immediately stop listening to her, not to mention expose the fact that everything about her are really just pretensions to repair her disgraced reputation--not anything genuine. Hence this morning's little dance around any kind of direct discussion, lol. I suppose we'll get to hear those work-around's quite a lot over the next season.

Only a shame Ana can't be there every day to counter the harm Ayssa is attempting to help along, Ana's the best one for that particular job.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just watched the first segment and wow, it must be 'pick on Alyssa' day.  I'm a dem, but I like Alyssa.  She's always respectful and she's able to hold her own against a table full of people who disagree with her.  And yeah, Sunny's remark that Alyssa throws away her vote if she doesn't vote for Biden or Trump was pretty insulting.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 7/20/2023 at 11:45 AM, bluegirl147 said:

So was Sunny ever on the Dean's list?

Didn't you know that Sunny was a child prodigy?  She graduated from HS at 15 and she loves being asked about it during interviews.  

• LOL 5
21 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

[Alyssa]'s always respectful

I don't agree with that, I think her nastiness towards the others is just more subtle. Like when they were talking about men and Joy was being very humble about how she knows she's man repellent, and Alyssa made that whole, "It must be your warm personality" comment. She's a snake, she's been that from Day 1. Sunny deals with people like that direct, but unfortunately there are a lot of people like Sara who fall for the act hook, line, and sinker and indulge the person because they feel sorry for them.

Personally, I'd say Alyssa is far from the worst they've had in that seat as far as demeanor goes, but I admit I did have more respect for someone like Paula Faris or Candace Cameron-Bure who was open in what their positions / aims are rather than someone who skirts around the side doing PR for a position or a person, but then refusing to ever own it when confronted directly. Alyssa wants to speak out of both sides of her mouth and never be countered all while she and Sara tag team the others the whole time they speak, but that's not going to happen on The View. It's been a year now and I think the others have finally taken the kid gloves off.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5

I don't see any nastiness in Alyssa. IMO, she's always been totally open/honest about her opinions. 

I believe her 'warm personality' comment was an attempt at making a joke. After all, Joy shouldn't be the only one allowed to make a funny comments just because she's a comedienne. Sara does it all the time!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1