Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/10/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, July 10 — Day of Hot Topics 

Tuesday, July 11 — Jake Tapper (author, “All the Demons Are Here: A Thriller”) 

Wednesday, July 12 — Day of Hot Topics 

Thursday, July 13 — Geraldo Rivera  

Friday, July 14 – Day of Hot Topics

The remaining Friday shows of this season are going to be filmed on Thursdays according to their ticket site.

• Thanks 1

So they're back to how they were before Rosie's return now. Friday's have been the best day of the week tte past few years with Joy moderating, but now it'll be mostly dull topics being discussed. /sigh

I suppose it'll be a little interesting to hear what Rivera will say. Otherwise, it's for the best they don't have many guests; the guests are usually the worst part of the show anyway.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
On 7/7/2023 at 3:29 PM, falltime said:

The remaining Friday shows of this season are going to be filmed on Thursdays according to their ticket site.

Should be called the rear view on Friday then.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
On 7/7/2023 at 6:29 PM, falltime said:

remaining Friday shows of this season are going to be filmed on Thursdays according to their ticket site.

Well that’s only this month since they take the whole month of August off. (Geez, we’re talking about August already?)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

It depends on the guest for me. I enjoy political guests, newsworthy people, and Hollywood legends, plus actors from shows I watch, but when they waste time (IMHO) with reality personalities, I glaze over.

Looks like Adam Glassman had a little work done over the break.

Loved Whoop’s duster (don’t know what to call it). She looks great in red/orange.  

• Like 4

I guess Michael Strahan is close by so he can just drop in for a visit at the last moment.  Sunny had to do her usual name dropping, hanging out in the Hamptons.   Poor Whoopie, laid up with a bad back...I have back problems all the time, so I sympathize with her.  

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Sunny had to do her usual name dropping

It's getting worse and worse.  And geez, I don't think Kenny Chesney appreciated Sunny identifying him as "the gentleman on the right with the bald head."  Uh, Sunny, I know you were using "bald" as an identifier, but most bald guys I know would not like it being pointed out on national television.  They know they're bald.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

The town Joy lives in on Long Island must be small (and she must be one of the local VIPs) to get the police to keep an eye out for her dog when he ran away. Although maybe they were already aware and on the lookout for runaway pets given that many get freaked out when there are loud noises like fireworks over the holiday and Joy just thought they were looking for her dog especially. 

Apparently, since Trump got angry and behaved badly when he was President, any bad or annoying behavior that Joe Biden has shouldn't bother people, according to the panel. Any criticism of Biden seems to automatically trigger the "Trump was worse" response. Granted that Trump still hasn't gone away as most ex-Presidents do, but at some point, shouldn't Biden be viewed independently of previous presidents? Do presidents lose their tempers with their staffs? I suspect every single one did at some point, no matter how genial and nice they appeared in public. The difference is that now those staffers or other witnesses are ready to share every detail online, with whatever spin they want. Although it may be understandable, I don't think losing your temper should be a big part of your management style. 

Jake Tapper was an interesting guest. He responded to Sunny's questions respectfully, even if he disagreed with her on some points. His book also sounded interesting to me. The 70s were a turbulent time, so there's plenty of drama to draw from. I hope he's a good writer; I haven't read any of his books, but I think I'll look into them. 

• Like 7
(edited)

Twice this week (and it's only Tuesday!) The cohosts have turned their cheek to a questionable term or situation. Yesterday, Michael Strahan used an unfavorable term when referring to sitting cross-legged or 'criss-cross.' Today, they didn't raise any issue with the picture of Kristen Bell's dinner party. The picture is getting a lot of backlash by the media as being a 'dinner party so white.' 

I get that it would be awkward to bring it up to their guest, but i just dont like their selective outrage. I wonder if they catch it and just make a mental note.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Twice this week (and it's only Tuesday!) The cohosts have turned their cheek to a questionable term or situation. Yesterday, Michael Strahan used an unfavorable term when referring to sitting cross-legged or 'criss-cross.' Today, they didn't raise any issue with the picture of Kristen Bell's dinner party. The picture is getting a lot of backlash by the media as being a 'dinner party so white.' 

I kind of cringed when Michael said that, figured it was not a good choice of words, but is Kristen B really being criticized for who she invited (and didn't) to a dinner party?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I kind of cringed when Michael said that, figured it was not a good choice of words, but is Kristen B really being criticized for who she invited (and didn't) to a dinner party?

Yeah as soon as I hear Michael say it I thought ugh.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Michael's comment illustrates how hard it can be for people to let go of words or sayings that used to be common and are now considered insensitive. Also, some of these words/sayings were learned at an early age and to be fair, aren't used frequently enough (by the person) to learn a replacement term. I, for one, can't think of the last time I had an occasion where I needed to refer to sitting "criss-cross" or "crossed-legged", because it virtually never comes up in conversation, so I wouldn't have been able to easily incorporate those replacement terms into my conversational vocabulary. 

Maybe the panel was being polite in not responding to the term, but maybe they didn't say anything because he's Michael Strahan and not someone who might be more easily intimidated. 

Agree that it is really strange (and disturbing) that people feel comfortable criticizing Kristin Bell's dinner party based on who she invited. I don't know the background or details of that party, but no one should be telling a person who they can or can't associate with and certainly shouldn't be able to tell them that they have to invite or disinvite a guest just to fulfill someone else's ideal demographic distribution. 

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Michael's comment illustrates how hard it can be for people to let go of words or sayings that used to be common and are now considered insensitive. Also, some of these words/sayings were learned at an early age and to be fair, aren't used frequently enough (by the person) to learn a replacement term. I, for one, can't think of the last time I had an occasion where I needed to refer to sitting "criss-cross" or "crossed-legged", because it virtually never comes up in conversation, so I wouldn't have been able to easily incorporate those replacement terms into my conversational vocabulary.

I see your point. Being an elementary teacher, i use "criss-cross applesauce" daily, multiple times a day!

10 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Agree that it is really strange (and disturbing) that people feel comfortable criticizing Kristin Bell's dinner party based on who she invited. I don't know the background or details of that party, but no one should be telling a person who they can or can't associate with and certainly shouldn't be able to tell them that they have to invite or disinvite a guest just to fulfill someone else's ideal demographic distribution. 

Seems like Sunny would totally jump on this topic, though.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

see your point. Being an elementary teacher, i use "criss-cross applesauce" daily, multiple times a day!

That totally makes sense. It must be second nature for you now! Unfortunately, I'm at an age where criss-crossing legs is more aspirational than practical. 🙂

• LOL 6

Also regarding, Kristin Purple People Bell's #vacationsowhite:  Kristen probably has friends who are not white but they would not want to go to Idaho. Ever. For any reason.     I don't mind her getting dragged after that godawful purple people mess she thought was a good idea. I am from the deep south and started school during desegregation. One thing I have noticed, that without fail, a racist will say or do something racist and then when called out will say one or all of these things: #1. I am the least racist person you will ever meet. #2 I can't be racist, I have black friends #3 I don't see color. I don't care if you are  purple, green or blue! (They dont use colors that humans actually are.) So, yeah, thats why Kristins all white vacay pics are a discussion. She also is in business with Phil McGraw, so roast away internet! I will bring the marshmallows. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
46 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Also regarding, Kristin Purple People Bell's #vacationsowhite:  Kristen probably has friends who are not white but they would not want to go to Idaho. Ever. For any reason. 

Right, it's not about who was invited, it's about who showed up!  I have no problem when a thirsty celeb posts something on social media to make sure everyone knows she has an excellent life, only to find there's a backlash.  That's hilarious!

Edited by sugarbaker design
34 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Right, it's not about who was invited, it's about who showed up!  I have no problem when a thirsty celeb posts something on social media to make sure everyone knows she has an excellent life, only to find there's a backlash.  That's hilarious!

She is an over sharer and she needs to understand not everyone is going to be a fan of what she is sharing.  And I don't like her husband. He always looks so unhygienic to me. Like he needs to take a shower.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

She is an over sharer and she needs to understand not everyone is going to be a fan of what she is sharing.  And I don't like her husband. He always looks so unhygienic to me. Like he needs to take a shower.

They likely all do.     https://pagesix.com/2021/08/10/kristen-bell-on-why-she-doesnt-regularly-bathe-her-kids/#:~:text=Kristen Bell is finally addressing,I wait for the stink.

Edited by GiveMeSpace

How much do you guys wanna make a bet that the next time Kristen Bell has a party and she MAKES SURE that some of her black friends attend that the Internet will say “they’re only there because we called you out on it last time! “It’s like when your spouse says that you don’t ever do anything nice for me anymore and the next day they show up with flowers and they say “you’re only doing that because I told you to! “Classic case of damned if you do, and damned if you don’t! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I’m just now watching because of the President’s speech  and Sunny’s lip is so distracting. Think she had injections and the swelling isn’t down so she’s trying to tone them down?  Will comment if I catch the party discussion 

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Geraldo is 80??  I can’t believe that!

and can someone remind me if when Geraldo had a rock n roll show?  I seriously don’t remember that. When I googled it all that came up was Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar’s husband)

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I know, right??

I love Whoopi giving fashion advice to Alyssa. That said, the shirt did look stupid.  

Hah! If Whoopi is questioning your look, it must be wrong. How soon before going on stage do the panelists get dressed? You'd think there must be someone like a wardrobe person available to help with the outfits. No matter what, Alyssa's shirt looked odd. 

Edit: the wardrobe person came out at the end to "fix" the shirt - which still looked dumb, but less dumb than before. Where was she before Alyssa came out??? Getting coffee? In the bathroom? Watching another show? The time to address the shirt is not at the end of the show. 

Edited by KittyQ
Updated info
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

Geraldo is 80??  I can’t believe that!

and can someone remind me if when Geraldo had a rock n roll show?  I seriously don’t remember that. When I googled it all that came up was Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar’s husband)

It seems that the "rock and roll" term was more about his style than about music. Here's a link I found that mentions that: https://www.foxnews.com/media/geraldo-rivera-50-years.

He certainly was out of the norm for a newsman back in the day, with his appearance and his approach to the news. Not surprising he got fired, because he always has been feisty. 

Edited by KittyQ
Fixed a typo.
1 minute ago, McKavity said:

Did you know that Alyssa was on Fox News on Jan 7 after the insurrection?  FYI, just in case you missed it the last 30,000 times she’s mentioned it this week…

Hah! Add this to the Bingo game of the hosts' favorite points to make - Ana: drag queens; Sunny: X is racist, her kids;  Whoopi: I was in X (movie, TV show, Broadway show), "Let me tell you...";  Joy: she was a teacher, etc.

I'm not sure what Sara's hobby horse is, but I'm sure she has one, because everyone on this show has something that they repeat ad nauseum. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I'm not sure what Sara's hobby horse is

Maybe disingenuous "both sides"ing? Tell me you can't hear her saying something like "A lot of people come down on the Big Bad Wolf, but so many of us enjoy eating pork."

• LOL 3

Call me crazy but I actually liked the asymmetrical look of Alyssa’s shirt. 😂. It looked fine after the stylist fixed it, but I didn’t realize there was a cutout on the other side as well because her hair obscured it.

And Whoopi really doesn’t understand gerrymandering and how it may affect vote counting.  No, people haven’t figured out “a way around it”.  It’s a way for the minority to rule the majority by drawing crazy voting districts.  And yes, sadly, both sides do it.  I wish we really had a one person, one vote system.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

The time to address the shirt is not at the end of the show. 

Or anytime during the show.  For the love of God, writers, settle your strike!

2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

He certainly was out of the norm for a newsman back in the day, with his appearance and his approach to the news. Not surprising he got fired, because he always has been feisty.

About the only thing I remember about Geraldo (and I grew up in the NYC area when he was on local news) is the Al Capone’s vault fiasco. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

About the only thing I remember about Geraldo (and I grew up in the NYC area when he was on local news) is the Al Capone’s vault fiasco. 

I thought he lost a lot of credibility even taking part in that stunt. Of course, at the time it was a huge ratings draw because everyone was curious about it and there were fewer options for TV channels and shows, at least where I lived. 

Early Geraldo shook things up in news, and though he always was a bit of a showboat, he seemed to use that aspect of his personality to publicize legitimate news stories.  He's been a mixed bag for a number of years, I think.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jalady said:

And Whoopi really doesn’t understand gerrymandering and how it may affect vote counting.

It's BEYOND ANNOYING how Whoopi has taken over the show again...her pontificating and know-it-all comments are okay at home for her family and her guests, but there are smarter--more politically educated people at the table. LET THEM TALK!  Let them talk without butting in with your "Here's the thing,"....

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
8 hours ago, 2JEWELL said:

I remember in the '70s he had a show call Good Night America that I used to watch, and IIRC, it had a youthful vibe to it.  (The title Good Night America was taken from the song City of New Orleans.)  It was like a news magazine show, but for the young crowd.  I'm thinking that's what Whoopie was referring to. 

I liked Alyssa's blouse better before the lady fixed it.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Or anytime during the show.  For the love of God, writers, settle your strike!

Shhhh 🤫 Today was the first day Whoopi didn't mention the writer's strike at the opening of the show.

It was hilarious yesterday when Whoopi misspoke about a survey of 16-34 year-olds and when Sunny corrected her Whoopi blamed her blue card, saying it was written incorrectly. Hasn't she told us for weeks that because of the writers strike, they themselves write their own blue cards! In an effort to correct her mistakes she has even said she cannot read her handwriting.

* I just want to say, that I do not believe for a minute that she writes her own blue cards as she has us believe. I'm sure that task falls on a personal assistant. 

7 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I'm not sure what Sara's hobby horse is, but I'm sure she has one, because everyone on this show has something that they repeat ad nauseum. 

Sara mentions her mental health frequently. I'm not aggravated by it, she just does 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
22 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Wow the shirt made a lot of sense when the stylist fixed it. It was unique and I liked it. I cannot believe Alyssa wore it wrong, it was such an easy fix! 

It looked kind of ok to me, but I had the impression that the "gaps" between the collar and the sleeves were meant to be on the shoulders, and it looked to me as though they were too close to the neck. But maybe the (tardy) wardrobe lady didn't have enough time to properly adjust. 

38 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

With SAG now on strike....does this mean that Whoopi wont be able to co-host? I know its not acting but not sure what it means for her being on infront of the camera.

Wow! I didn't know this was happening. As per this Rolling Stone article, I do not think it will affect The View.

image.png.ae2ea6c9552cf0629fb4982020d3e1fa.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

With SAG now on strike....does this mean that Whoopi wont be able to co-host? I know its not acting but not sure what it means for her being on infront of the camera.

I wonder if she'll not appear in support of the other actors. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1