Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ofc there was a guy trying to cross the road in the middle of nowhere...bc ofc we needed some drama. Oh goodness. I don't know what to think of it tbh. Anyone concerned how Will seemingly ditched the kid to go for a bike ride (trying to catch up to Bonnie? Or at least I assume? Idk)

Will u dumb dumb.

How many times are they gonna push the "out with the old, in with the new" agenda on Geordie before they lay it to rest and/or he finally decides to retire? We've visited this idea multiple times already.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 6
16 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Anyone concerned how Will seemingly ditched the kid to go for a bike ride (trying to catch up to Bonnie? Or at least I assume? Idk)

I don't think he was trying to catch Bonnie, he was just being a petulant man-child. He told Geordie earlier in the episode that the motorcycle was his way of clearing his head or whatnot, and he decided to be an idiot and speed because he could. And yes, I also questioned him leaving Ernie alone (although Ernie appeared to be dressed up, so perhaps he'd gone to school? But they could have made that clearer...)

• Like 13

I'm going to have a problem watching when one of the leads is a selfish moron.

Long-time Robson Green fan here. Sorry they keep repeating the same storylines for him. I imagine he'll be the only one to solve the crime of the season--can't do without him, can you, insufferable big cheese.

• Like 9

I thought Sidney was bad but Will seems to take immaturity to new heights.  I'm sure Bonnie is going to be thrilled (not) that he left her young son alone at home because he was so upset that he had to take his motorcycle out speeding. I don't like Bonnie, I think she's too pushy but she deserves better than Will.

Did we get any explanation as to why the new inspector is forcing Geordie to retire other than that Geordie is Will's friend and Will slept with his fiance? Another man-child.

33 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Sadly this show is out of fresh ideas and has to resort to woe is him contrivance to stutter along.

Sadly, I think you're right.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I thought Sidney was bad but Will seems to take immaturity to new heights.  I'm sure Bonnie is going to be thrilled (not) that he left her young son alone at home because he was so upset that he had to take his motorcycle out speeding. I don't like Bonnie, I think she's too pushy but she deserves better than Will.

Did we get any explanation as to why the new inspector is forcing Geordie to retire other than that Geordie is Will's friend and Will slept with his fiance? Another man-child.

Sadly, I think you're right.

and didn't Will promise to stop riding the bike?  totally irresponsible and selfish

and, did I miss a season............ who is Ernie?  

• Like 3
Just now, cinsays said:

and didn't Will promise to stop riding the bike?  totally irresponsible and selfish

and, did I miss a season............ who is Ernie?  

Ernie is Will’s stepson.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I couldn't tell, was that Leonard's boyfriend that Will killed, or just some rando? 

Stranger, I believe. But it was a ridiculous plot contrivance-are we going to find out the victim was deaf? Who boldly walks out into the road without looking in the presence of loud, full throttle, motorcycle noise?

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Anyone concerned how Will seemingly ditched the kid to go for a bike ride

This was the first thing my sister said when we were watching. I assumed he'd dropped off Ernie at Mrs. C's.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 3

It's one thing being a selfish asshole when you're single, it's entirely another thing when you're married with a stepson and a baby on the way.  I can't believe any parishioner would ever go to Will for counsel, he's such a trainwreck.

The acting by the three young actors in the first scene at the church was atrocious.

Thank heavens for Geordie, Leonard, Mrs C. and Dickens.

• Like 10
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

And the new female lead is the unreasonably vain woman who shouted Will down in the middle of the street for not sleeping with her on the first date and then hounded him into submission by the end of last season. 

It's fine that she's not a Christian but she's downright derisive of his entire career, as well as most of his congregation.  Most atheists know what ordinary politeness is.  She didn't need to criticize Mrs. C's  baby pram. 

Bonnie clearly thinks she's smarter than anyone else in Grantchester.  I would accuse her of sneering at everyone, but I think maybe her mouth is stuck that way.  How typical of the BBC/PBS folk to cast  a very plain actress opposite a handsome actor to teach us that looks don't matter, but then miss no opportunity to show the hunky man shirtless or possibly bathing  naked in the ocean.

Maybe the Davenports will all follow Sidney to America and leave Leonard and Mrs. C in charge.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, buttersister said:

That's my issue. This was a totally selfish act. He's having a snit because his wife is going to care for her mother recovering from a stroke, breaks his promise to his stepson, and behaves rashly while responsible for a family, possibly leaving a young child at home alone. They've ruined the character to the point I don't really care what happens to him and I'm not sure I want to go through the misery of watching all the angst.

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

It's fine that she's not a Christian but she's downright derisive of his entire career, as well as most of his congregation.  Most atheists know what ordinary politeness is. 

It seems like a questionable decision for them to have married. If she's an atheist, marrying a vicar is a bad idea because it's going to mean having to go along with a lot of stuff you hold in contempt. If you don't want to go to services, lead Bible studies, pray with people, etc., and resent your husband doing these things, then maybe don't marry a vicar. If you're a vicar, then I would hope your faith is important to you, and you would want a life partner who at least believes in your work. Why marry someone who thinks that your entire career is based on something bogus? If you don't see the problems coming from a million miles away, you aren't putting much thought into it.

I kind of want to know what happens, and I want to see the other characters, but I'm not sure I can bear subjecting myself to the misery and angst. I wonder if this is one of those where the whole season is on Passport. Maybe I could get it all out of the way at once, fast forward through the Will scenes, and move on. Is this the last season for sure?

• Like 14
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

How typical of the BBC/PBS folk to cast  a very plain actress opposite a handsome actor to teach us that looks don't matter

Wow, if Charlotte Ritchie is considered "plain," then I'm probably an ogre or troll. I think she's adorable (though I prefer her as a brunette), and I don't have any trouble picturing Will choosing Bonnie, either in terms of looks or personality. Do I think it's a disastrous marriage? Yes! But they're both immature and petulant in different ways, so I guess they deserve each other? The only one I feel bad for in the relationship is Ernie (and the future baby).

And not that it matters, but Grantchester is on ITV in the UK, not BBC.

26 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I wonder if this is one of those where the whole season is on Passport. Maybe I could get it all out of the way at once, fast forward through the Will scenes, and move on. Is this the last season for sure?

I don't have Passport, but on the PBS website it does appear that all the episodes are available for Passport folk.

No announcement was made saying it was the final season, which makes me think it's probably not? You'd think once a show survives as long as Grantchester has, it wouldn't be cancelled unceremoniously, and also that a final season would be "hyped" ahead of time, like Endeavour (also an ITV show) was, but who knows. Also, strangely, this season hasn't aired yet in the UK; usually it airs there several months before it's shown on PBS. 

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

I wonder if this is one of those where the whole season is on Passport.

I checked this morning; it is.

I kept saying to my sister that I missed Sydney, who was 100% a fuck-up, but I found that endearing. I guess the writers felt the had to catch Will up to Sydney on the fuckedupedness. 

His marriage to Bonnie was definitely rushed (would've been better if they started dating at the end of last season and married in the middle of this one) Based on this premiere, I'm wondering if the theme of this season will be him regretting that and seeing just how unready he is for marriage and fatherhood.  On the other hand, they could go in the direction of showing him maturing and learning from his mistakes. I guess that'll depend on if there's another season after this one.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
57 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Wow, if Charlotte Ritchie is considered "plain," then I'm probably an ogre or troll. I think she's adorable (though I prefer her as a brunette), and I don't have any trouble picturing Will choosing Bonnie, either in terms of looks or personality. Do I think it's a disastrous marriage? Yes! But they're both immature and petulant in different ways, so I guess they deserve each other? The only one I feel bad for in the relationship is Ernie (and the future baby).

And not that it matters, but Grantchester is on ITV in the UK, not BBC.

I don't have Passport, but on the PBS website it does appear that all the episodes are available for Passport folk.

No announcement was made saying it was the final season, which makes me think it's probably not? You'd think once a show survives as long as Grantchester has, it wouldn't be cancelled unceremoniously, and also that a final season would be "hyped" ahead of time, like Endeavour (also an ITV show) was, but who knows. Also, strangely, this season hasn't aired yet in the UK; usually it airs there several months before it's shown on PBS. 

I agree, I find them pretty much equal in looks.  I found him appealing in prior seasons but for some reason, he's lost the appeal for me physically (maybe his immaturity is finally registerring with me).  

I agree that him being married to an atheist seems a bad idea, unless somehow something happens that makes her change her mind (but that would likely be her son dying and this episode would have been the time with Will leaving him alone). 

I was so looking forward to this season, but this episode was not at all enjoyable to me.   Hope the next episode is better and features the other characters more.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I couldn't tell, was that Leonard's boyfriend that Will killed, or just some rando? 

I thought that too.  I was frantic that they might go there.  I think they deliberately made it look like it to prank us. 

FYI all the episodes are available on PBS app, but I haven't watched more yet. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

His marriage to Bonnie was definitely rushed (would've been better if they started dating at the end of last season and married in the middle of this one) Based on this premiere, I'm wondering if the theme of this season will be him regretting that and seeing just how unready he is for marriage and fatherhood.  On the other hand, they could go in the direction of showing him maturing and learning from his mistakes.

Given that she's pregnant and about to give birth to his child, I'm thinking that they want to show Will maturing and growing up. Divorcing her with two small children, one of them his, would just be too messy for the good vicar that Will likes to see himself as, not to mention the fantasy that he has built for himself that he is going to be a better father than his own was. Sometimes I think that he's more attached to Ernie than he is to Bonnie. And realistically, how would Bonnie support two young children?

I also didn't like the murder story in this episode. I like it when the villains are deserving of their fate (the death penalty was suspended in the UK in 1965). I felt sorry for both Carl and Jimmy and the conclusion to the case was far from satisfying.

Thank goodness for Geordie, Leonard, Cathy, Dickens and sometimes Mrs. C.

• Like 9

I know the Will actor auditioned for Superman, had he gotten that it would have been the end of the show unless they did another vicar recast.

I don't really want to watch Will in his angst contortions put his pregnant  wife through a lot of stress she does not need. Is she really an atheist? Why marry him then? For crying out loud.

I have always hated the way this show piles on the angst.  Why not have these people have regular problems and give the excitement to the cases?

If they wanted to keep the hottie vicar who gets his kit off with the ladies then don't marry him off! It doesn't make your main character look good if he is a selfish and fickle husband.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Divorcing her with two small children, one of them his, would just be too messy for the good vicar that Will likes to see himself as,

It's 1960 in the show.  A vicar getting divorced is highly unlikely.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I am glad I deleted this from my DVR. I really liked Will at the start, but the slapdash marriage last series where the vows were rendered unnecessary was just bonkers to me. 

When I heard about Superman, it all made sense. No hate toward TB for wanting more for himself. I get it. It’s up to the writers to write sensible stories and end things clean. 

I always felt a Midsomer Murders set-up would have served this show better. When the young vicar’s actor takes off for Hollywood or says I am gone if I get this, replace them at once. No reason for others who have already been there, done that, to lose a steady gig in a tough business. Too late now. 

• Like 5
On 7/9/2023 at 11:03 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Ofc there was a guy trying to cross the road in the middle of nowhere...bc ofc we needed some drama. Oh goodness. I don't know what to think of it tbh. Anyone concerned how Will seemingly ditched the kid to go for a bike ride (trying to catch up to Bonnie? Or at least I assume? Idk)

Will went for a ride to feel in control and clear his head. It had nothing to do with seeing Bonnie.

I apperciated that Will was honest-he has no idea how to be a father. It's also sad that Will does not understand families. Bonnie going off to care for her mother was totally foreign to Will.

The mystery felt very Mod Squad to me. There's a despised (teenage/young adult) subculture, but the villian turns out to be an adult. 

• Like 4

Gotta agree with pretty much what is being said here.   Save the drama for the actual crimes and let the main characters have peaceful lives.   

I have gotten to kind of like Bonnie, even though the show made her too "fast" and didn't take enough time to show her and Will in a relationship that would lead to marriage.  And as of an aside - if that actress is "plain", I'm lucky that I don't scare dogs and little children when I walk the streets!  Guess that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway, Will is acting childish and now is going to pay for it.  At this point, he really doesn't come across as good husband material.  It seems like Bonnie is going to have three children to contend with.    And I'm SO done with the crap of the obnoxious boss trying to force Geordie into retirement.  Please show, give us some happy characters and some interesting crimes to solve - yes, more like Midsommer Murders ( I like that idea). 

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
On 7/10/2023 at 9:51 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Thank heavens for Geordie, Leonard, Mrs C. and Dickens.

Dickens, at least, seems happy and thriving, lol.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:20 PM, Shanna Marie said:

He's having a snit because his wife is going to care for her mother recovering from a stroke

That was just so unbelievably childish. How dare Bonnie want to take care of her ailing mother. Even if he doesn't understand families, he should understand ministering to the sick. I'm glad she scoffed at Will and went anyway. 

On 7/10/2023 at 12:20 PM, Shanna Marie said:

If you're a vicar, then I would hope your faith is important to you, and you would want a life partner who at least believes in your work. Why marry someone who thinks that your entire career is based on something bogus?

I have a  bigger problem with this than I do Bonnie being unwilling to be a part of the life of the church (though that was the expectation back then, and probably still is today in a lot of places). It's not as if they're arguing about keeping skim vs. 1 percent milk in the fridge. Will's calling is probably the biggest thing in his life. She doesn't have to agree with it, but she has to at least respect its place in his life, and she doesn't seem to. And for Will to expect Bonnie to be a part of something she has no belief in is unfair to her. I think she's probably taken on as much as she's going to, which is as much as she can tolerate. They really should have talked about this before the wedding.

• Like 7

Sometimes I wonder if being a vicar is his calling. There's a decided lack of compassion and respect (not to mention maturity, but I just did!). 

I thought the smash victim was Daniel. Because killing the partner of his friend Leonard is right up this show's alley. Oy.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

That was just so unbelievably childish. How dare Bonnie want to take care of her ailing mother. Even if he doesn't understand families, he should understand ministering to the sick. I'm glad she scoffed at Will and went anyway.

It seemed like his resentment from her decision to quit going to Bible study just before that was carrying over, even though those two things have nothing to do with each other.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, buttersister said:

Sometimes I wonder if being a vicar is his calling. There's a decided lack of compassion and respect (not to mention maturity, but I just did!). 

I thought the smash victim was Daniel. Because killing the partner of his friend Leonard is right up this show's alley. Oy.

I was hoping it was Geordie's boss, but probably that's too obvious.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I can't even fathom a vicar marrying an atheist working out in any universe. Back then there were certain duties expected of a vicar's wife and Bonnie could do the more secular stuff like home visits and arranging the flowers but she clearly can't be teaching Bible class. 

I'm not sure why the writers went this direction but it's a major fail.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, buttersister said:

I think it genuinely is, but Will struggles with a lot of it. He's still fairly young and inexperienced, so that's not entirely surprising. IRL he'd probably be the junior vicar in a church with a more experienced vicar who could guide and counsel him about this stuff. But that's not what the show is about.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I can't even fathom a vicar marrying an atheist working out in any universe. Back then there were certain duties expected of a vicar's wife and Bonnie could do the more secular stuff like home visits and arranging the flowers but she clearly can't be teaching Bible class. 

I'm not sure why the writers went this direction but it's a major fail.

DRAAAMMAA.  That's why they went in that direction.   If you had Will actually marry a woman of faith, there would be less conflict and a lot less angst.   Also, my guess is that a circa 1960 religious woman wouldn't have immediately tried to jump into bed with him (yes, even if she were a widow) because back then, such stuff was considered A Sin,  but we know that Grantchester is really 2023 in 1950s clothing.  Even Will's behavior as a Vicar would be looked at with many a raised eyebrow back then.  

• Like 7
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Even Will's behavior as a Vicar would be looked at with many a raised eyebrow back then.  

My mom's church (mainline Protestant) hired a young, single minister in the 1980s, and there was some rather hilarious tut-tutting about him dating. My mom and her friends kept saying, "He has to to date if you want him to find a wife!" In the end he married a great woman whose father was also a minister, so she knew the score and happily dived into the life of the church.

Some people have strange ideas about the lives of ministers. They are human beings, with all the messiness that goes along with that.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

S8E2:  Jeez, can this show get any grimmer?  I feel like I have to keep watching (darn that OCD) since I started, but I really wish they would just burn up the rest of the episodes and do the reset (which I hope will not be affected by the writers/actors' strike).  Everyone (except the always awesome Miss Scott) is just miserable.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

"You shall appoint three cities on this side of the Jordan, and three cities you shall appoint in the land of Canaan, which will be cities of refuge. These six cities shall be for refuge for the children of Israel, for the stranger, and for the sojourner among them, that anyone who kills a person accidentally may flee there." Numbers 35: 14-15

That Leonard sure knows his Bibie!

• Like 6
  • Useful 5

This was the first episode I really liked in a long time.  I was intrigued by the mystery and I got to see all the regular supporting cast do what they do best. Mrs' C was energetic and nurturing, Geordie did some good police work after letting go of his bias -- and then Leonard! 

Will puckering up when Leonard walked in and  Leonard "vicaring" Will in the very best, most comforting way had me crying.  Leonard was always the sweetest person on earth, but his time in prison made him courageous, as well.  He could easily carry the show if need be.

I even think there might be hope for Larry if Miss Scott takes him in hand.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Found the episode to be pretty boring and slow imo.

Leonard and Miss Scott are gems like always.

Geordie's boss needs to go. He let things get waaaayyy too personal. Much more than Geordie; I'm glad Larry and Miss Scott were there to keep him grounded.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Geordie's boss needs to go. He let things get waaaayyy too personal. 

I get the feeling the new guv has friends in high places and is protected by them, which is ironic given how snotty he is about Geordie giving his friends the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure there will be some sort of resolution by the end of the season. It's really tiresome to watch him and Geordie (and him and Will) have the same arguments over and over.

• Like 5

This episode was better than the prior one  thanks to Leonard, the rest of the supporting cast and the actual murder case. 

Will needs to grow the hell up already.  Sometimes it seems as if his little stepson has more maturity. And show, please stop with Georgie's idiot boss.   It's poop or get off the pot - have Georgie retire already or have the boss fired (or better yet, become a case of the week victim) and let Georgie work his job in peace.  

I've read that the show has been picked up for Season 9 and there was a spoiler which I won't write here.   Anyway, with Dickens "sowing his wild oats", maybe we will have puppies to make us smile.  

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Will needs to grow the hell up already.  Sometimes it seems as if his little stepson has more maturity.

Will's immaturity was on full display (again) in this episode. He was even willing to get Miss Scott into trouble, wanting to go to the body "because he is alone." Yes, the dead body is alone.

If the show wants me to feel sympathy for Will, they've got to make him a more sympathetic, as opposed to pathetic, character.

The person I really felt sorry for was Paulie, who killed a friend when he was only trying to break up a fight and is now probably going to spend years in jail.

And I felt sorry for Ernie, idolizing Will as he does.

• Like 10