Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/6/2023 at 7:21 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Mrs. C accidently made things worse for Leonard and Daniel :(

Yes she did. Just because he was talking to a man outside his front door, that means they're having an affair?  I know fans just love this woman, but she constantly annoys with her sour expression and her nosiness.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Yes she did. Just because he was talking to a man outside his front door, that means they're having an affair?  I know fans just love this woman, but she constantly annoys with her sour expression and her nosiness.

Have you met Father Brown's Mrs McCarthy. Nosiness and gossiping. Hateful at times.

• LOL 3
On 8/7/2023 at 6:25 AM, cardigirl said:

I really enjoyed see Mark Benton (Shakespeare and Hathaway) in this episode and would gladly watch another season if he was featured. What a lovely character he played.

I like him too.  I wish he'd move to Grantchester and join Geordie instead of Will.  It would make more sense than having a vicar solving murders.  

I liked the way episode six wrapped up.  Geordie and Kathy seem happy together, he's not going to retire, Leonard and Daniel are back together, and that disgusting boss will be gone.  

1 minute ago, nokat said:

Have you met Father Brown's Mrs McCarthy. Nosiness and gossiping. Hateful at times.

Yes,  she and Mrs. C would probably kill each other. 😬

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

My take-a-way from the season: Yes, Will is an ass. I loved seeing the heart felt moments like Leonard and Will, Leonard and Mrs. C, Will and Bonnie, Leonard and Daniel. You get the drift. I liked them all not being asses at the end.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 8/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, statsgirl said:

I wondered how long Bonnie's labour was lasting because those puppies had to be six weeks old at least.

My guess is the other dog owner involved is not a heartless monster who is going to take puppies away from the mother before six to eight weeks, when it is safe to separate puppies from the mother and have them go to new homes.

Due to TV Land Logic/Plot Reasons the day the other dog owner decided to drop off the six to eight week old puppies was also the same day Bonnie went into labor.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:14 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Puppies! Finally. Every time I see Dickens I'm always trying to figure out how many zillions of years old in dog years he is at this point. I keep thinking he's got to kick the bucket at some point.

Labs usually live on average to be 10 to 12 years old, so Dickens is well within the normal life span for his breed. Dickens being alive and well is not because of plot reasons/TV Land logic.

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Finally slogged through part 1 of the finale. Jesus, just let Will walk off into the sunset already. Bonnie and her kids don't deserve to be saddled with this whinge loser. 

Girding my loins for Part 2...

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 3:16 PM, statsgirl said:

A problem with the last episode for me, and for much of this season, is that the show is off-balance. There's too much time spent on angst, Will's about killing the man and about Bonnie, Leonard's about the half-way house, Geordie's about retiring, and not enough about the mystery.  It's become more soap opera than detective show.

I actually didn't expect the murder this episode (meaning the last one). I said to my parents, "I forgot this was a murder mystery show." Mom said, "Yeah, I thought it was just going to be about Will's problem."

On 8/6/2023 at 11:13 PM, magdalene said:

Well, I grew quite to like Larry the twerp.

I am glad Geordie's boss got transferred, that character made my teeth grind.

I was pleased Larry did the right thing and is becoming a better person. I was hoping someone would report Elliot for striking Leonard because that's a reportable offense.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:31 AM, Daff said:

There are:

Ernie

I assume Ernie will leave next season when Will does.

On 8/7/2023 at 2:58 PM, dubbel zout said:

Same, and it was great he reiterated they were a team. There was also a mention of Kathy's promotion, so I guess she took it. Good for her, though boo she's not getting enough money.

That was great! Nice to see Geordie being supportive of Cathy as she is of him and not having his head in his ass.

On 8/7/2023 at 3:44 PM, nokat said:

Some funny moments: Bonnie and Cath in the church talking. They keep looking up and saying forgive me. The subject comes up about sex and how he's good at it and Bonnie says forgive me, and Cath says 'not for that.' I had a good laugh.

Geordie and Will seeing the puppies, and Will going in to see Bonnie. Geordie says 'He's a dead man.' Will walks in and Bonnie says 'Ladies' and Cath and Mrs. C get up like they are going to beat his ass. She says 'By which I mean, give us a moment.' I loved it.

Bonnie said, "Sorry" and Cathy said, "Not *that* sorry."

I would have loved to see them in action!

On 8/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, statsgirl said:

Larry redeemed himself at the end. I liked his explanation of why he liked Elliott, because Geordie and Will (?) always treated him like he was incompetent.

He said Geordie looked at him that way and "even you sometimes", meaning Miss Scott.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:14 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

I almost thought Leonard was gonna ask to go to London with Daniel but ofc not; can't have them stray too far from grantchester.

I enjoyed Mack. He was a nice fellow.

I thought so, too, that Leonard would go with Daniel who has a gallery in London instead of Daniel staying with Leonard who had no work in Grantchester anymore. But the halfway house is apparently back in business.

It would be nice if Mack and the kids were around next season, but I guess they live too far away.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:55 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

On the one hand, I guess Grantchester should be applauded for basically ending every season on a positive note-- any of its eight finales would have worked perfectly fine as a series finale-- but it's getting ridiculous, particularly in the last two seasons, how much they have to pull sunshine and roses out of their ass in the last episode to make everything come together. Like, maybe a little less angst in the episodes leading up to the finale would be a better idea, no? But they've been doing it so long I don't know why I should expect it to change...

You remind me of how episodes of The Goldbergs always have the problem built up over the rest of the episode vanish in the last five minutes when the characters apologize and the narrator says something mawkish.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
On 7/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, dargosmydaddy said:

Cute video about Al Weaver directing the previous episode (the whole cast clearly loves him, which is adorable... and Al Weaver when he doesn't have his horrible Leonard hair is quite an attractive man):

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/grantchester-al-weaver-directs-episode-3/?subscriber=true&list_id=general

Thanks for posting this.  It was fun to watch.  It is crazy how different Al Weaver looks as Leonard than he does as himself!

• Like 2