Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wait, what?  Your post made me roll back the DVR thinking I was so distracted by Kate's sweaty appearance and melted hair that I didn't notice she was standing next to Bill Hudson, her bio dad (who she is majorly on the outs with).  LOL I was happy to see you were referring to Kurt Russell.  Bill Hudson is a major dick haha

I meant Kurt, he's the only one she acknowledges and says is her father/dad. 

• Love 2

Slater winning for Mr. Robot and not Malek reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence winning an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook and not Bradley Cooper.  Don't get me wrong, Slater was very good in Mr. Robot but Malek's performance was mesmerizing and is the one that should have been recognized.  Lawrence's performance in Silver Linings was average at best while Cooper's was mesmerizing.

ITA with J-Law winning the Oscar and Bradley Cooper getting snubbed.  When I finally got around to watching the movie, I didn't find her performance overly outstanding.  I thought she did better work in The Hunger Games.

• Love 2

Judging from that standing ovation, Sylvester Stallone is clearly the inspirational "story-line" for this award season, and it would probably take him going full Mel Gibson or something to not win.  He was fantastic though, so I'm happy.  But did he only thank the early Rocky people?  I didn't hear him mention either Ryan Coogler or Michael B. Jordan.  Come on, Sly!  Give them some credit, Rocky.

Clean Shaven Brad Pitt and Beared Ryan Gosling kind of freaked me out.

I feel bad, because I'm sure he's a nice person, but I always feel like Michael Shannon is going to go off on someone, any time I see him. 

• Love 5

Shut up, Jamie Foxx.

Oh good lord I hate him at these things so much.  He did this last year - he and Jessica Biel were giving out some award of a technical nature and he just hammed it up and sang the names of the nominees, thus taking the attention away from the fine folks who were nominated and making it about himself. And he did that just now - seriously, Ennio Morricone is a LEGEND, he's farted out things with more talent that Foxx. It didn't help to have dippy starlet girl (who I had to look up - hey, Lady Rose) giggling at it all.

• Love 2

Heh. I thought it was Mark Wahlberg dragging will down.

I really love Aaron Sorkin, so I am glad he won, even though I could have lived with any of the people in the category winning.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

I didn't hear him mention either Ryan Coogler or Michael B. Jordan.

I hope it's just an oversight as he's been very gracious towards them during the press tour. This character was a part of him for close to 40 years and for him to give control of the writing and directing of the character to other people was probably tough for him but sometimes you need a fresh pair of eyes to breathe new life.  

• Love 1

Jennifer Lawrence's best performance was in Winter's Bone, and I would probably have given her the Oscar that year.

As for Rami Malek over Christian Slater and such - they weren't competing in the same category, so it's not really relevant. Nobody decided to honor Slater over Malek, or Lawrence over Cooper.

The sight of Stallone getting a standing ovation was pretty awesome.

• Love 7

I am officially old, I'm not at all enamored with Amy Schumer throwing out the "c" word on a family oriented show. Is that all it takes to be the hottest comedian now?

I saw Trainwreck recently and thought the humor was hit and miss.  I suspect if I were to watch her show it would be more of the same.

Was hoping either Aziz or Patrick Stewart, but it seems like the Globes clearly loved Mozart in the Jungle.

Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin together does want me to see a crossover between Supergirl and The Flash.  As long as they find a way to get them to sing.

• Love 5

You know them Apple heads needs to give love to their master any chance they get (I keed!) 

Well, I did forget that it was written by Aaron Sorkin.  How silly of me.

As for Jeffrey Tambor and Transparent, I watched two episodes and didn't see what was supposed to be so darned funny.  When I hear that something's a comedy, I think I'm going to, what's the word, laugh.

Edited by wallflower75
  • Love 2

Slater winning for Mr. Robot and not Malek reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence winning an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook and not Bradley Cooper.  Don't get me wrong, Slater was very good in Mr. Robot but Malek's performance was mesmerizing and is the one that should have been recognized.  Lawrence's performance in Silver Linings was average at best while Cooper's was mesmerizing.

I think it's more about who's in the category with them. Malek was in a category with Jon Hamm, there was no way they weren't going to give it to him since it was the final year of Mad Men. 

But did he only thank the early Rocky people?  I didn't hear him mention either Ryan Coogler or Michael B. Jordan.  Come on, Sly!  Give them some credit, Rocky.

He apparently went back to the microphone during the commercial break to thank Coogler, who had slipped his mind.

• Love 2

I saw Trainwreck recently and thought the humor was hit and miss.  I suspect if I were to watch her show it would be more of the same.

I pretty much liked the supporting cast in Trainwreck. I am including Bill Hader that. I did not think Amy was great acting-wise in it.

I am officially old, I'm not at all enamored with Amy Schumer throwing out the "c" word on a family oriented show. Is that all it takes to be the hottest comedian now?

No, but that's how Amy talks. Either you like her or you don't. Please don't think you're old just because she doesn't warm your heart. 

• Love 2

The Mozart in the Jungle love is surprising me.  I've seen the first three episodes and I liked them.  Want to watch more but this show really hasn't been getting any kind of buzz at all from critics.

I liked the joke that Brad and Angelina would want to adopt Kevin Hart and Ken, the two "little presenters." They are short. 

I liked Lady Gaga's acceptance speech. She was genuinely moved and grateful. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 4