Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I normally like Jennifer Lawrence, but this is a bit much.

I thought Jon Hamm did a great job and should have been awarded earlier, so happy to see him win tonight.

I agree. I would have been happy for a Rami win as well. I would have liked pretty much anyone in the category to win. I liked them all.

• Love 2

Amy and Jennifer sure are full of themselves too, huh?  Normally indifferent to Amy and I usually like Jennifer, but this wasn't working for me at all.  I actually agree with Gervais more or less suggesting that seem more concern about everyone knowing they are friends, instead of actually being friends.

Ha!  Matt Damon wins best actor for the hilariously, wacky movie about a man trying not to die on Mars!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 9

Ugh Amy and Jennifer who both find themselves too precious for words.

I thought they were funny at first, but their bit went on too long. 

What did Amy say people usually call her? And what was Jennifer's response? I couldn't read their lips. 

Edited by topanga

I actually agree with Gervais more or less suggesting that seem more concern about everyone knowing they are friends, instead of actually being friends.

I blame Taylor Swift for the 'I am best friends with everyone thing'. Though to be fair I generally blame Taylor Swift for everything, and well, Comcast.

• Love 13

Matt Damon wins for "a comedy."  To the 80 journalists who voted, how drunk were you just to nominate him?  I liked the movie but COME ON.

This stuff about "Mars" being a comedy makes me want to see the movie.  So ... there's that, at least.  I am dying to see how anyone would think this movie was a comedy.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 1

J-Law was charming when she first came out on to the scene...now she's trying way too hard. 

So happy for Jon Hamm, even though I did love RM in Mr. Robot - Hamm did amazing work in the last season of Mad Men. 

• Love 4

I was hoping for a Steve Carell win, since I really liked The Big Short.

Steve Carell is one of those actors I didn't care for in the beginning, but I've become very impressed with his work in the last couple of years.  I loved The Big Short and was rooting for him (nothing against Matt Damon, because I really liked The Martian, but it WASN'T A COMEDY).

• Love 1

I blame Taylor Swift for the 'I am best friends with everyone thing'. Though to be fair I generally blame Taylor Swift for everything, and well, Comcast.

She's actually friends with her people though. lol Amy and Jennifer came across so forced. 

I'm happy for Matt Damon, just don't get how he won for comedy. lol

• Love 2

I didn't know Matt was gray. Is his movie really a comedy? Haven't seen it yet.

There were some light moments but, no, it is not a comedy.  Like someone upthread said, the foreign press members must have been drunk.  Either that or they don't understand the concept of FUCKING GOING TO MARS!

Oh shit.  Brad Pitt.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

This nonsense about "Mars" being a comedy makes me want to see the movie.  So ... there's that, at least.

It is actually a good movie, in my opinion, and it even had some good laughs.  It's just not what I would consider an actual comedy.

Sometimes, I really feel like the Globes wants the categories to actually be "Prestigious, Serious Dramas that Have only Been Seen By Few" and "Mainstream Films that have enough Great Qualities, that they Work at Being Called Great Films."

• Love 1

Jennifer Lawrence seems like she has to constantly top herself with how "quirky" and "relatable" she is. And its a turn off. 

You explained my problem with J-Law a lot better than I did.

I was a big fan of Amy Schumer when she burst onto the scene (used to hear her on Opie and Anthony a lot).  She was a legitimately funny comedian.  But then she started hearing critics calling her a feminist and she started actually believing she was.  The worst is her throwing in with the Social Justice Warriors (which certainly wasn't her MO a few years ago).  The SJW's have already gone after her for her jokes and it's only a matter of time before they completely turn on her.

• Love 4

Aww at Kate presenting with her dad. Cute.

Wait, what?  Your post made me roll back the DVR thinking I was so distracted by Kate's sweaty appearance and melted hair that I didn't notice she was standing next to Bill Hudson, her bio dad (who she is majorly on the outs with).  LOL I was happy to see you were referring to Kurt Russell.  Bill Hudson is a major dick haha

Slater winning for Mr. Robot and not Malek reminds me of Jennifer Lawrence winning an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook and not Bradley Cooper.  Don't get me wrong, Slater was very good in Mr. Robot but Malek's performance was mesmerizing and is the one that should have been recognized.  Lawrence's performance in Silver Linings was average at best while Cooper's was mesmerizing.

Hey, Stallone won!  Way to go!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5