Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11: Tubi Batesing

• Start Topic

Katie's fake hair color is too light for her. It's not flattering. 

Obvious handholding and front hugs before engagement(s). Scandalous! Only allowed for Bates sons, of course. 

Trace's facial expression reminds me of the test pattern on old TVs. Lights on, nobody's home. 

Kelly is as annoying as ever. I think Michelle Duggar's dog-whistle baby voice is less annoying than Kelly's exaggerated South Carolina accent. I lived in the part of South Carolina Gil and Kelly are from. Nobody sounded as hardcore as Kelly. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Obvious handholding and front hugs before engagement(s). Scandalous! Only allowed for Bates sons, of course. 

Trace's facial expression reminds me of the test pattern on old TVs. Lights on, nobody's home. 

Kelly is as annoying as ever. I think Michelle Duggar's dog-whistle baby voice is less annoying than Kelly's exaggerated South Carolina accent. I lived in the part of South Carolina Gil and Kelly are from. Nobody sounded as hardcore as Kelly. 

Lol, so did I!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Where are they from? I am thinking of a town that starts with an S, Spartanburg, maybe? 

Am I close? 😃

(edited)
43 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Where are they from? I am thinking of a town that starts with an S, Spartanburg, maybe? 

Am I close? 😃

Gil's from Honea Path, which is about 23 miles from where I lived (a town that starts with G). I dated a guy who lived in Honea Path. Spartanburg is about 63 miles from where I lived. 

I just rewatched Katie's wedding episode. As usual, there's Gil whining and crying about how he'll have to "give his little girl away."  Putz probably couldn't pick her out of a lineup. And he has to get in his look-at-me line about how he, her mother, and her 18 siblings are giving her away. I have never heard of that in any wedding, even fictional ones. 

Gotta love Mrs. Clark's unapologetic permed semi-mullet. 

Lawson, shut up! trooooooooly 

Edited by Heathen
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Gil's wedding day theatrics are so phony. When Katie was struggling badly after her move to New Jersey, Gil never visited her once.

Well, he'd probably forgotten who she was by the time the next kid after her was born. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

God love those of you who've watched the whole season.  They are so stultifyingly boring that I only made it through the second episode before bailing.  The Duggars look fascinating compared to this bunch.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

God love those of you who've watched the whole season.  They are so stultifyingly boring that I only made it through the second episode before bailing.  The Duggars look fascinating compared to this bunch.

You were able to watch a lot more than I would!

I've seen two episodes so far.  

Kelly is tacky yapping about a big graduation gift for Tiffany.  That aged badly since she completely blew off her own son's graduation so that he got a four pack of root beer and a greeting card from Lawson and a last minute pizza party from the Stewarts.  Kelly did show up in time to scarf down free pizza.  

Carlin's behavior at the jewelry store was appalling.  She was practically pushing Lawson out of the way when he was trying to look at the stone and the settings the woman was showing him.  If she had gotten any closer, they would have been wearing the same clothes.   I also noticed that when Lawson and Tiffany were fishing together there was no room for the Holy Spirit between them. They looked like any normal couple their age who were dating and getting close to engagement.

Despite what he has said in the past, Zach is turning into Gil.  His word salad about the kids praying every night for a farm, but he and God were having a hard time with the market sounded just like something Gil would say.  Now I know why the world is such a mess.  God is too busy being various Bateses personal real estate agent to pay attention to unimportant stuff like wars, famine, and natural disasters.

• Like 15
2 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I've seen two episodes so far.  

Kelly is tacky yapping about a big graduation gift for Tiffany.  That aged badly since she completely blew off her own son's graduation so that he got a four pack of root beer and a greeting card from Lawson and a last minute pizza party from the Stewarts.  Kelly did show up in time to scarf down free pizza.  

Carlin's behavior at the jewelry store was appalling.  She was practically pushing Lawson out of the way when he was trying to look at the stone and the settings the woman was showing him.  If she had gotten any closer, they would have been wearing the same clothes.   I also noticed that when Lawson and Tiffany were fishing together there was no room for the Holy Spirit between them. They looked like any normal couple their age who were dating and getting close to engagement.

Despite what he has said in the past, Zach is turning into Gil.  His word salad about the kids praying every night for a farm, but he and God were having a hard time with the market sounded just like something Gil would say.  Now I know why the world is such a mess.  God is too busy being various Bateses personal real estate agent to pay attention to unimportant stuff like wars, famine, and natural disasters.

The Bates boys get away with hand-holding, no chaperones, and probably more before marriage. The Bates girls don't get shit except those stupid purity rings. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:

The Bates boys get away with hand-holding, no chaperones, and probably more before marriage. The Bates girls don't get shit except those stupid purity rings. 

With the exception of Zach, I think every other Bates son kissed his girlfriend before marriage. 

And now that I typed that, I think Zach admitted to kissing as well.

• Like 9

Why any parent put the purity ceremony on TV is beyond me. If you have to have it, PLEASE keep it private. There is no need for this to be on the show. I know it has been done before and it was just as cringy to watch. Such hypocrites, Gil and Kelly are IMO as they went to a real university; were away from their parents before marriage and dated each other normally. They managed to not have sex before marriage but don't trust their own children to keep to the same. Nothing wrong with expressing affection to your boy/girlfriend and keepig it to that. How they have stunted their children unnecessarily! 

• Like 11
On 6/23/2023 at 10:59 PM, Heathen said:

lol, it might be different if she was from Gaffney.  They do have their own accent.  Kelly's voice is annoying, same as MeChelle duggar.

• Like 5

I agree that there is something "off" with Kelly's exaggerated southern accent. It's so severe IMO, that it makes her sound uneducated and backward. I also found it strange that her daughters, especially Michaela, who all grew up in the house around her do not speak like she does. They just don't sport a southern accent IMO at all, really. How does this happen? I cringe when Kelly opens her mouth.

• Like 10
16 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I agree that there is something "off" with Kelly's exaggerated southern accent. It's so severe IMO, that it makes her sound uneducated and backward. I also found it strange that her daughters, especially Michaela, who all grew up in the house around her do not speak like she does. They just don't sport a southern accent IMO at all, really. How does this happen? I cringe when Kelly opens her mouth.

They have a slight accent. I don't have an example, but it does come out with certain words. I definitely hear it with Carlin and Erin, and on occasion Katie. Josie seems to have no discernible accent. I haven't heard Michael or Tori recently, and I don't remember if they have slight accents or not. 

• Like 2
(edited)

She says 'idear' instead of 'idea' and it drives me absolutely nuts.  Then I heard one of her daughters say it the same way and I thought ‘you have got to be fucking kidding me!’

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5
Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

I think Erin pours it on thick.

Just like her Mama B. Had it not been for her long COVID and surgeries I’m sure Erin would have gladly crammed 20 kids in a three bedroom home. Twenty kids because although she loves her mama she’s a Bates girl, and they are competitive AF.

• Like 5

I do think that Kelly does an exaggerated accent but they all have accents.  You have to remember where they live.  There are certain words that are pronounced a certain way from other accents.  People from East Tennessee do have a very different way of talking, as do most Southerners.  All Southerners do not sound the same way, but we all have a Southern accent.

It does amaze me that someone who has a higher education would want to sound and talk like someone from the backwoods with little education.  Maybe because the money is better for her to act that way?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Me from ME said:

It's "imporDant" that always gets me. I think it is only KJ who says it that way. Even if it's not, it is her saying it that makes me crazy/

This isn’t just an accent, it’s plain old ignorance.

• Like 6

Its not the southern accent..its the " cutesy phrasing"...drives me nuts...I am originally from Ky...I have a southern drawel....no weird words....If I go west people ignore me...if I go north people think I am a hick and look to see if I have shoes on...But when I lived in Europe EVERYONE wanted to hang around me...lol....it was the novelty I guess....

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
49 minutes ago, Dimi1 said:

Its not the southern accent..its the " cutesy phrasing"...drives me nuts...I am originally from Ky...I have a southern drawel....no weird words....If I go west people ignore me...if I go north people think I am a hick and look to see if I have shoes on...But when I lived in Europe EVERYONE wanted to hang around me...lol....it was the novelty I guess....

I have a friend from rural western Tennessee and she has a southern accent you could cut with a knife.  We traveled to Europe and met up with some British friends of mine who absolutely adored her accent.  They kept asking her questions, just to hear her speak.

• Like 3

To be fair, accents have nothing to do with intelligence and those living in the area, don't consider them accents or even "hear" them. Living in New England accents are an hour away in every direction. Half of MA doesn't even sound like the other half.

Also, thanks to everyone sharing the info of this season. As of yet I haven't watched an episode.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I have a Southern accent.  Some people just love to hear me talk and others think I am not too bright.  A lot of people do indeed think that people from the South are not too bright or intelligent.  I will admit that I do "play" into that thought of not being so bright with some people-depends on if they pissed me off or not.  Kelly's accent is way too exaggerated and she thinks it is cute (or maybe producer driven).  Remember that her beliefs state that she must talk in that irritating baby/singsong voice.

Granted the kids are uneducated but they are better educated than the Duggars.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

I have a Southern accent.  Some people just love to hear me talk and others think I am not too bright.  A lot of people do indeed think that people from the South are not too bright or intelligent.  I will admit that I do "play" into that thought of not being so bright with some people-depends on if they pissed me off or not.  Kelly's accent is way too exaggerated and she thinks it is cute (or maybe producer driven).  Remember that her beliefs state that she must talk in that irritating baby/singsong voice.

Granted the kids are uneducated but they are better educated than the Duggars.

I think it's the slower rate of speech* that can make us Northerners thing that, not necessarily the accent.

*Not by KellyJo though!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
25 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think it's the slower rate of speech* that can make us Northerners thing that, not necessarily the accent.

*Not by KellyJo though!

One of my call center jobs was talking to people from different parts of the county we were warned early on how fast Northerns talk especially from New York and New Jersey it took awhile to get used to how fast they talked. 

23 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

*Not by KellyJo though!

We are not known for talking fast at all.  :D

(edited)
On 6/26/2023 at 5:20 PM, woodscommaelle said:

She says 'idear' instead of 'idea' and it drives me absolutely nuts.  Then I heard one of her daughters say it the same way and I thought ‘you have got to be fucking kidding me!’

As I was watching the new episodes on Tubi, I noticed a couple of the older boys saying "idea-er" too, but now I can't remember which ones.  Maybe that's a South Carolina thing, because I grew up about 20 minutes from where the Bates live, and nobody else pronounces "idea" that way.  Another thing they do, and that is common in that area, is to say "I seen" instead of "I saw," and that is the one that drives me the most nuts. As for their accents generally, they're definitely on the heavy side for that area, but nothing that would turn heads.

Many, many years ago my sister's now ex-husband was working for his dad selling used cars, and Gil would occassionally buy trucks to use in his tree business  from him that had been previously owned/used by the railroad.  One summer,  Gil and her then-husband had just completed a sale and he reached out to Gil to arrange to deliver the trucks to him, and GIl invited them to a cookout they were having the next day with the Duggars, who were staying with them.  My sister of course immediately called me and invited me to go with, so the three of us along with my nephew all went over the next day and hung out with them for a couple hours.  All of that to say that, I don't remember their accents being as noticeable in person as they seem to be on the show.  However, I guess part of that could be that they were around a lot of people with less pronounced accents (us, and the Duggars), and it does seem like people unconsciously adapt their way of speaking to be more like the people with whom they're speaking.  For instance, my colleages tease me every time I go home to visit, because they say I come back (to Dallas) and sound like a country girl for the first week or so.  People also tease me if they hear me on the phone with my family, saying I instantly have a much stronger accent.

Jumping back to the show, I've been working from home this week and let the new episodes play again in the background yesterday as I worked.  And after seeing Esther's wedding dress a second time, I find it even more hideous than I did the first time around . . . which seemed like an appropriate note on which to end my post.  : )

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Like 10
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

As I was watching the new episodes on Tubi, I noticed a couple of the older boys saying "idea-er" too, but now I can't remember which ones.  Maybe that's a South Carolina thing, because I grew up about 20 minutes from where the Bates live, and nobody else pronounces "idea" that way.  Another thing they do, and that is common in that area, is to say "I seen" instead of "I saw," and that is the one that drives me the most nuts. As for their accents generally, they're definitely on the heavy side for that area, but nothing that would turn heads.

Many, many years ago my sister's now ex-husband was working for his dad selling used cars, and Gil would occassionally buy trucks to use in his tree business  from him that had been previously owned/used by the railroad.  One summer,  Gil and her then-husband had just completed a sale and he reached out to Gil to arrange to deliver the trucks to him, and GIl invited them to a cookout they were having the next day with the Duggars, who were staying with them.  My sister of course immediately called me and invited me to go with, so the three of us along with my nephew all went over the next day and hung out with them for a couple hours.  All of that to say that, I don't remember their accents being as noticeable in person as they seem to be on the show.  However, I guess part of that could be that they were around a lot of people with less pronounced accents (us, and the Duggars), and it does seem like people unconsciously adapt their way of speaking to be more like the people with whom they're speaking.  For instance, my colleages tease me every time I go home to visit, because they say I come back (to Dallas) and sound like a country girl for the first week or so.  People also tease me if they hear me on the phone with my family, saying I instantly have a much stronger accent.

Jumping back to the show, I've been working from home this week and let the new episodes play again in the background yesterday as I worked.  And after seeing Esther's wedding dress a second time, I find it even more hideous than I did the first time around . . . which seemed like an appropriate note on which to end my post.  : )

Um, I think you need to spill a bit more about this cookout!!!  Not many of us get a Duggar/Bates encounter!!!!

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
9 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I lived near where Gil and Kelly are from (Honea Path, and I think Spartanburg), and I don't remember anybody saying "idear." The kids never had any outside influence, like people with green hair, so it would make sense that they picked up their parents' "foreign" accents and manners of speech.

Please dish about the cookout! Are the Bateses really that short? (I'm 5'1", they might actually be my people.) Did Jim Bob's hair move in a stiff breeze? Was Kelly as irritating in person as she is on TV? Was Gil as much of a jackass as he appears to be? Was the noise level deafening? Was there actually enough food for everyone? Was it beige? Enquiring minds want to know! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 8
(edited)
On 6/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Natalie68 said:

Um, I think you need to spill a bit more about this cookout!!!  Not many of us get a Duggar/Bates encounter!!!!

17 hours ago, Heathen said:

I lived near where Gil and Kelly are from (Honea Path, and I think Spartanburg), and I don't remember anybody saying "idear." The kids never had any outside influence, like people with green hair, so it would make sense that they picked up their parents' "foreign" accents and manners of speech.

Please dish about the cookout! Are the Bateses really that short? (I'm 5'1", they might actually be my people.) Did Jim Bob's hair move in a stiff breeze? Was Kelly as irritating in person as she is on TV? Was Gil as much of a jackass as he appears to be? Was the noise level deafening? Was there actually enough food for everyone? Was it beige? Enquiring minds want to know! 

So . . . keep in mind this was 10+ years ago, and we were only there for 2-3 hours.  Plus, this was before the Bates had even filmed their first show, United Bates of America, so we only knew of them from 19 Kids.  Thus, I'd say that at the time, we were way more curious about the Duggars than the Bates and because of that focus, i think, we came away with more observations and thoughts about the Duggars than the Bates, to be honest.  And my final caveat would be that while it sounds a little odd, even to me, in retrospect, there really just wasn't as much to dish on as you might think.

When we got there, Kelly, Gil, and Jim Bob were hanging out in the house together and watching the younger kids, Michelle was napping (and she had Josie with her), and the rest of the kids had basically broken up into boy/girl groups based on age.  The boys mostly stayed outside, the older girls hung out in the girls' room, and the younger girls played mostly inside in the big living room.  So, I wouldn't say it was quiet, but it wasn't deafening, because everybody was pretty scattered about and never inside together all at the same time.  As to their heights, the only ones I remember actually noticing were Gil and Jim Bob . . . as Gil wasn't much taller than I am (5'2"), and he looked especially short in comparison to JB.  

After a bit, Gil, Jim Bob, and a few of the older boys got the grill going and cooked hamburgers and hot dogs (and yes, there were more than enough).  Kelly and a few of the older girls then got some stuff ready in the kitchen (a few side dishes, which were store-bought, as I remember . . . although I didn't pay that much attaention as I'm a pretty picky eater, so just had a hot dog and some chips lol) and set out plates, plasticware, etc.  And they did ice cream cones for dessert - and there was a pretty hilarious amount of ice cream, I must say.  Michelle finally came out right around this time, got a bowl of ice cream, and the other adults (plus the 3 of us) sat together inside talking for a little while longer, until they decided it was time to organize a big group game, which seemed like an appropriate point for us to excuse ourselves and head out.

As to their personalities . . . Michelle was by far the most quiet and seemed kind of distant / disconnected.  Granted, that could be because she'd just woken up.  And yes, her voice sounds just as high and unnatural and fake in person as it does on tv.  Jim Bob was also pretty much exactly like you'd anticipate - cheesy, and just seemed very "on."   As we were preparing to leave, he went back to where he and Michelle were staying, I guess, and came back with two of their books (which means he obviously travels with copies of their book, just in case, apparently, which cracked me up for some reason), and autographed them for us. 

Re: the Bates, I really don't think i came away with a very strong impression about Gil one way or the other, and honeslty, I didn't find Kelly annoying at all.  She seemed super friendly and warm, and I know she gets knocked a lot for being lazy, but out of the 4 adults, I can say that at least while we were there (which admittedly, is barely a second in the scope of things), she definitely did the most work and just overall seemed the most "busy," I guess is the right word.  She was the one who would get up to go check on the youger kids the most often, and was always just kind of moving about, checking on things, being a good host (asking if we needed a drink refill, etc) that kind of thing.  After we left, my sister and I both remarked that while Gil and JB seemed to get along pretty efforlessly, Kelly and Michelle's personalities seemed like night and day.  So much so, that we were both kind of surprised they were such good friends.  (Or professed to be, I guess lol).  As to any of the kids, I can't say I spent enough time around any of them to really comment much on their personalities.  The ones we interacted with were all super polite to us, but they were really just super excited, I think, that they were getting to spend time with their besties and focused on that.  (Oh, and my impression of their house?  It was clear that function was way more important than style/decor, which kind of  makes sense when you have that many kids.  I don't remember a lot of specifics, but it certainly wasn't dirty;  just cluttered, all the furniture looked older and well used, etc).

So, for what it's worth, there's the scoop on my Bates/Duggar encounter.  : )

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Regarding Esther's dress, the dress itself is a polyester mess, but the plastic tiara that looks like she stole it from some kids party really makes the outfit awful.  Of course, she willingly married Nathan, so her taste is questionable.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 8
35 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

Regarding Esther's dress, the dress itself is a polyester mess, but the plastic tiara that looks like she stole it from some kids party really makes the outfit awful.  Of course, she willingly married Nathan, so her taste is questionable.

I agree. The gaudy tiara cheapened an already cheap-looking dress. I remember when I first saw it I thought it looked like one those things that came from a princess play kit. I really liked the bridesmaids' gowns though and the venue was beautiful, so she got a few things right. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Seeing these episodes turn up on Tubi makes me wonder who owns them.  When 19 Kids and Counting was canceled, they had a similarly finished set of episodes, but they just disappeared.  So, did the production company own the episodes since UpTv passed on them?  I'm just curious how they found their way to Tubi and who got paid for them.

27 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

Seeing these episodes turn up on Tubi makes me wonder who owns them.  When 19 Kids and Counting was canceled, they had a similarly finished set of episodes, but they just disappeared.  So, did the production company own the episodes since UpTv passed on them?  I'm just curious how they found their way to Tubi and who got paid for them.

They were produced by a North Carolina based company called Figure 8 films production.  I think they also produce/d Sister Wives & Jon & Kate plus 8.

From what I read most of this season was filmed and talking head interviews were being filmed when this was canceled.  So I'm wondering if perhaps this is why we only have 6 episodes instead of the 10+ episodes of previous seasons..because the interviews weren't all filmed when this was canceled.

On 7/4/2023 at 3:45 PM, floridamom said:

Are there any "missing" Counting On episodes that can be watched through TubiTV?

I haven't seen any Counting On episodes on Tubi. Lots of Khate + Eight and other freakish "reality" shows, though. 

• Thanks 2
On 7/3/2023 at 9:33 AM, Meow Mix said:

I am always struck by how homely Nathan is.  He really married up.

• Like 3