Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Cheers to Boobies

• Start Topic

After Chase confides in Gary about Alex's lackluster work ethic, Chase's trust is broken when Gary tells Alex about their conversation.

Airdate: 05.29.2023

Chase has trust in Gary?  As if.

• LOL 6

Like someone who thought BDSY stood for Below Deck SAILING Yacht but finds out it really stands for Below Deck SHAGGING Yacht, these comments are in the order of episode scenes broadcast…

Gary has no business telling Alex what Chase told Gary.  Management 101 – make your criticism based on what you observed and don’t throw others under the bus.  Yacht.  Whatever.

So Gary, who wants to shag everything he can see, is jealous that Madison “holds hands” with someone else?  Please. 

That space the boat was supposed to park at was very narrow, but apart from the usual editing drama, it all worked out.  Still, very skillful to fit in that narrow space without incident.

Chase, you’re a hard-working deckhand and I really want to like you, but once again you prove you’re just frelling weird, with your pre-outing hijinks and loudness.  Heck, you’re so drunk you even stumble off the plank to the vans before the group even gets out on the town!  I thought Alex was the town drunk but you're taking that spot in this episode.

Nice sabotage by Gary in the van as the crew go to dinner --

Felt bad for Ilesha that she was sick during the crew dinner outing – suspect it was something she “ate” in previous prep.

Lucy was right – this time, Chase *was* an asshole.  Like this show has demonstrated so many times, some people just can’t handle alcohol.  But then, if it weren’t for booze, Bravo wouldn’t exist.  Perhaps they should change the network name to Boozo.

And now the show descends into a French farce that Moliere would be ashamed to have penned.  Hopefully in episodes ahead we can get back to sailing instead of shagging.

What will happen next week?  Will the subjects of our play continue the farce?  Will we reset into some sanity where sailing actually takes place?  Will Chase drink tequila from between boobs?  Will Ilesha recover from her possible food-borne illness?  Stay tuned, if you can keep your food down…

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5

Nice tip!  And nice docking job.

Gary is such a jerk and Alex isn't much better, along with the drunken Chase.

That was all very confusing to me.  As Tanukisan said, it was shag-o-rama.  Oy!

The guests were very nice and I'm not a big fan of talent shows.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

Gary has no business telling Alex what Chase told Gary.  Management 101 – make your criticism based on what you observed and don’t throw others under the bus.  Yacht.  Whatever.

Not only that but he totally lied to Alex. I'm glad the editors had the decency to insert the actual conversation between Chase and Gary to show that Gary was in fact lying about what Chase said. I guess the show is perfectly willing to throw Gary under the bus. Good for Alex for realizing one of them was lying.

And then . . . you just can't defend Chase either. Good grief, was he raised in a barn? Asking someone if he can do a tequila shot off their boobs?!? What a gross idiot he is. I mean, yeah he's got a point that Gary showed everyone his balls and everyone thought it was hysterical, but, apples and oranges, y'know?

• Like 13
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I mean, yeah he's got a point that Gary showed everyone his balls and everyone thought it was hysterical, but, apples and oranges, y'know?

Or "twig and berries"...   (:

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

So why do they do all the cutaway shots of Glen sleeping or just lying down while the crew are up to their drunken hijinks?

He must have told them they could film him late at night when he's alone, while the other BD captains don't get filmed lying in bed or a couch.  Maybe they objected to them trying to film such moments.

All it shows is that Bravo makes them go out, to the some club and ply them with booze, so they get into arguments or make out, while Glen is having a quiet night, guess if they're not working or going out, they'd have similarly low-key evenings.

Not like Glen is going to harass the young women in the cast so what's the point of trying to show what a boring time he's having?  He probably is having video chat with his girlfriend or maybe video chat sex.  

Dare Bravo to film and air that!

So they had to put up with the corny guests and got a big tip as a result.  Guy trying too hard to be life of the party but the crew put up with it.  I don't remember the talent show at all and probably won't remember it when they do something similar next season or maybe on the next BD show.

No new stunts, they just recycle the same ones and same guests.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, aghst said:

So why do they do all the cutaway shots of Glen sleeping or just lying down while the crew are up to their drunken hijinks?

Maybe because he shares a room with the crew? His roommates are often nincompoops and production wants to shoot them and has cameras there. Not a full explanation but the only one I can come up with.

• Like 2
(edited)

Parsifal my luv... I am sorry but I am done with your show.
The few glorious moments of you sailing do not justify  trying to cope with silly guests, ridiculous talent shows, drunk fests, Gary sexually harassing everything that moves and the crew frakking each other.
I will come to the forums to read the comments of the brave people still watching, just in case something will have changed to better.

The last couple of seasons Bravo has completely ruined whatever good the franchise still had to show.. so I am out.
Only BD left for me now is the Australian one, as long as Aisha still participates and is not turned to a drunk sex maniac juvenile like the rest of the BD crews.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, aghst said:

He must have told them they could film him late at night when he's alone, while the other BD captains don't get filmed lying in bed or a couch.  Maybe they objected to them trying to film such moments.

There are mounted, stationary cameras all over the boat, like surveillance cameras. That's also what's in the crew quarters. Glenn doesn't allow/disallow what they film or show, he has no control over that. The shots of Glenn relaxing in the wheelhouse or foraging for food in the kitchen are just what they seem, a contrast to the mania and hijinks of the crew out on the town. I don't know why they don't do that with Captain Lee or Sandy, except that neither of them are as jovial or as likeable as Glenn, and this was probably something they started doing on BDSY specifically because Glenn is so enjoyable and often talks to himself when he's alone.

• Like 9
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

It made for a fun episode, but I have to call BS on the tight dock space. There would be no reason to risk damaging your vessel or someone else’s, other than to spice up the show. In reality the Captain would radio the dock master and tell them more room is needed. They’d either make more or assign another slip.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

13 hours ago, aghst said:

I love the shots of Glen reading, sleeping, getting a snack. I'd rather watch that than the crew drinking and hooking up. Glen being real is interesting. I remember similar scenes with Lee in earlier seasons of that show. It's just fun to see the captain being off duty and being himself.

5 hours ago, Zaffy said:

The few glorious moments of you sailing do not justify  trying to cope with silly guests, ridiculous talent shows, drunk fests, Gary sexually harassing everything that moves and the crew frakking each other.

This is everything that's wrong with this show in one sentence. I used to love it because it wasn't those things or, at least, not to the exclusion of other things that were entertaining. I'm for being sex positive, but I also believe in discretion. Gary and Chase are disgusting.

• Like 6

Not sure what's going on with Chase? He's been a bit of an oddball but was out of control even before they left. Almost like he's starting to get more comfortable and feels he can let his freak flag fly. Did he really think that Lucy would say "sure, let me pull my top down so you can motorboat me?" at dinner?

The Daisy/Colin hookup seemingly came out left field.  Jumping so quickly into bed too.  Gary's going to pout.

Add me to list of those who love and enjoy the shots of Captain Glenn wandering around the boat.  We've seen a little bit of Captain Lee doing similar, either working out or lounging in the sun on deck, but thankfully none of Captain Sandy.  It helps break up the non-stop booze/hookup fest.

• Like 6

It made for a fun episode, but I have to call BS on the tight dock space. There would be no reason to risk damaging your vessel or someone else’s, other than to spice up the show. In reality the Captain would radio the dock master and tell them more room is needed. They’d either make more or assign another slip.

But it's hard to believe they could coordinate such a thing with so many other luxury yachts that aren't on Bravo's payroll. And Bravo ain't exactly HBO. I don't think they're going to risk major damage to the boat like that for the sake of "drama."  I think sometimes they just get a spot that's too small and they have to deal with it. Probably an error on the part of whoever's in charge of that.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

The overhead shot was good. I was entertained.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I could not believe Glenn was going to dock there.  It was just too small of a space.  There was potential for a lot of damage and Glenn doesn't strike me as someone who is reckless.

• Like 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I could not believe Glenn was going to dock there.  It was just too small of a space.  There was potential for a lot of damage and Glenn doesn't strike me as someone who is reckless.

Ugh, my quote went hinky on me, 

Glenn is channeling his inner Sandy with her docking in tight squeezes, it is not a good look on him.

If that was their slip for the season the dock master should have been notified about the issue and moved some boats but I guess with cameras rolling and guests needing to disembark Glenn thought to just go ahead and dock.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Like 5
On 5/29/2023 at 9:10 PM, Tanukisan said:

The moment Gary started that crap I knew it was to throw Chase under the bus with Alex because Gary does not like Chase.  Chase is a good worker but very awkward socially and cannot read a room.  But I do think he was already drunk before they even left the boat for dinner, hence the tripping on the gangplank.  I like Chase and hope he recovers from his drunken night out.  Others have acted much worse and have been forgiven.

Daisy and Colin hooking up is going to cause major issues with Gary.  This will be interesting to see..........

• Like 7
On 5/29/2023 at 7:00 PM, iMonrey said:

Not only that but he totally lied to Alex. I'm glad the editors had the decency to insert the actual conversation between Chase and Gary to show that Gary was in fact lying about what Chase said. I guess the show is perfectly willing to throw Gary under the bus. Good for Alex for realizing one of them was lying.

And then . . . you just can't defend Chase either. Good grief, was he raised in a barn? Asking someone if he can do a tequila shot off their boobs?!? What a gross idiot he is. I mean, yeah he's got a point that Gary showed everyone his balls and everyone thought it was hysterical, but, apples and oranges, y'know?

Completely agree.  What was Gary thinking embellishing the story to Alex?  There is footage and in the end, he is going to look like a fool, trying to stir the pot between his two deckhands.  Any other leader worth his salt would be team building, not sabotaging.  

Chase was out of control from the get-go. His loud, obnoxious behavior was rubbing everyone the wrong way.  Was that alcohol induced???  Maybe we need Captain Sandy on the case!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I love Daisy and Colin so I’m all for them hooking up .Poor little man child Gary is going to get his feelings bruised and he deserves every minute of it. He really is disgusting when it comes to the way he treats and thinks about women. And what exactly does he do on this boat besides tell everybody else what to do and help with the docking. Other than that he just follows around whoever he wants to bed next and if that one doesn’t work he’ll move onto the next.  even if it does work He’ll still move onto the next.

• Like 7
(edited)

Chase was out of control from the get-go. His loud, obnoxious behavior was rubbing everyone the wrong way.  Was that alcohol induced???  Maybe we need Captain Sandy on the case!

Bite your tongue.

This is the sort of situation where I think production really influences the story. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn production gave Chase some alcohol while he was doing a confessional, encouraged him to drink and act up by telling him how much the audience was going to love him and how great he was doing, etc. We haven't really seen this behavior from him before, it just came out of nowhere, like all of a sudden he was feeling so self confident and so good about himself he felt free to be that obnoxious? It really seemed like someone was telling him to go for it.

I don't think the show has the clout, crew, money or ability to coordinate phony boat docking drama, but they certainly can tell the cast members how to act. We've seen way too many times where cast members are too full of themselves apropos of nothing.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

Chase has to go: that comment toward Lucy was gross and very inappropriate. HR should sack his bum immediately.

I agree that Chase was out of control. But I also think he's being set up to be the jerk. Colin, Gary and Alex are all in their 30s; Chase is 24. He's doing things that drunken 24-year-olds do, and I think it's entirely possible that he's being encouraged to act that way, especially since it's already been made clear that the openly available women on the boat are not interested in him. He's not smart enough or worldly enough to stop and think -- which is too bad, since he seems to be a good worker. 

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, rur said:
49 minutes ago, WhiskeyVictor said:

Chase has to go: that comment toward Lucy was gross and very inappropriate. HR should sack his bum immediately.

I agree that Chase was out of control. But I also think he's being set up to be the jerk. Colin, Gary and Alex are all in their 30s; Chase is 24. He's doing things that drunken 24-year-olds do, and I think it's entirely possible that he's being encouraged to act that way, especially since it's already been made clear that the openly available women on the boat are not interested in him. He's not smart enough or worldly enough to stop and think -- which is too bad, since he seems to be a good worker. 

I agree that production is encouraging this behavior from Chase as he has been socially awkward but never this blazingly rude to the girls.  I would totally believe production plying him with alcohol and telling him he is pretty funny drunk.  Anything for viewers.  And I don't believe there is any kind of HR for these types of shows.  If they did have them, then Gary would have been let go on his first season.  

Since this a reality show and not real life, none of the normal rules apply.  

I like Chase and he just needs more life experiences, just like the rest of us did at the age.  We just weren't on TV when we were figuring it all out.

• Like 4

I was more creeped out by Gary when he was hugging on Mads and being handsy feely when they first met.  She has now apparently given him the go-ahead, though with the enthusiasm of a wet rag.  I'm a little shocked that a department head would be so physical with the crew, but I have to remind myself this is a reality tv show, where hookups are encouraged.  Yeah, I think Gary has crossed the line this season. He doesn't have any redeeming qualities that allowed us to put up with his f-boy ways in the past.

• Like 5

I am happy that Maddison is being up front with Gary about what she considers "intimate" "friendly" or committed. It's refreshing to see a woman be single and not apologetic about it. It cracks me up that Gary's placing conditions on her that he would never follow. Let her live her life.

On 5/31/2023 at 10:19 AM, WhiskeyVictor said:

I feel that Chase is trying so hard to do a good job and fit in with the guys, he'll even take their douchy advice or follow Gary's lead. I find it hard to believe that behaviour actually comes from within him and wasn't learned from someone else. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 5/31/2023 at 9:00 AM, Lady of nod said:

And what exactly does he do on this boat besides tell everybody else what to do and help with the docking. Other than that he just follows around whoever he wants to bed next and if that one doesn’t work he’ll move onto the next.  even if it does work He’ll still move onto the next.

To be fair, when Glen was out of sorts in the beginning, it was strictly because he relies heavily on Gary and then Colin. He has said that Gary's the best he's worked with, so he's probably that guy who understands the boat so thoroughly, he makes everything look easy, and he appears as though he's doing nothing.

• Like 2
On 5/30/2023 at 2:30 PM, Zaffy said:

production: ok Chase is your time to "shine".

I have this horrible image of Gary pretending to take Chase under his wing, while advising him on how to make the captain, or gals, appreciate his contributions. Meanwhile, Gary et el are watching him spiral. He's clearly changed direction since the first 2 episodes.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2023 at 9:40 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

Exactly. I wish we had inside information, because boat people and marinas, docks etc don't play around with property worth millions. He wouldn't attempt to dock without some higher up's permission, or encouragement. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I am notorious for posting a comment before watching the entire episode. I watched Mads say to Gary she was just having fun and not to read anything flirtatious or serious into her behavior. But then at the end, it was as if Mads was upset with Gary, and Daisy and Colin pushed her to go back with Gary so they could have the room? Couldn't she go anywhere else? What am I missing? Or does she actually want Gary?

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, Chalby said:

I am notorious for posting a comment before watching the entire episode. I watched Mads say to Gary she was just having fun and not to read anything flirtatious or serious into hee behavior. But then at the end, it was as if Mads was upset with Gary, and Daisy and Colin pushed her to go back with Gary so they could have the room? Couldn't she go anywhere else? What am I missing? Or does she actually want Gary?

Blech. I would jump overboard if Gary's cabin were the only option.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 5
53 minutes ago, rur said:

Interesting that no one used a guest cabin . . . 

Gary & Mads were in one of the twin guest cabins. Colin & Alex opened the door on them. Mads was embarrassed/mad and bolted back to her room while Gary stayed in the guest cabin.  

Then Colin & Daisy started making out on the stairs. They went back to his room and Chase was awake, so they moved to her room and Colin encouraged Mads (her roommate) to go back to the guest room with Gary. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/31/2023 at 10:19 AM, WhiskeyVictor said:

the Predatory Wanker of the Year award

Is that like the Rear of the Year award?  I couldn't believe that narrow slip where Glen docked.  I don't know what those giant black bumper pads are called, but you could see they were being squeezed at Parsifal's widest place.  (I just re-read that sentence and it sounds kind of nasty!)  I think I heard Glen say that the dock-master would probably move some of those other boats to the side to have everything spaced out evenly.

On 6/1/2023 at 12:15 PM, Chalby said:

To be fair, when Glen was out of sorts in the beginning, it was strictly because he relies heavily on Gary and then Colin. He has said that Gary's the best he's worked with, so he's probably that guy who understands the boat so thoroughly, he makes everything look easy, and he appears as though he's doing nothing.

100% on this.  Say what you will about the guy, he is beyond excellent when doing the hands-on work of the boat.  He falls short when being a manager and when being ... hands-on with the interior crew.

• Like 2
(edited)

I think it’s hysterical that mads wants Alex but Alex isn’t fighting for her. Some say that Alex isn’t Pershing it cause he doesn’t want the tension between him and his boss which is a smart move and I do believe that is a PART of his reasoning but I can’t help but believe that the other reason is that Alex is just too damn hot to be competing with Gary. 
I for one am ecstatic that Alex seems slightly bemused at the idea that he would even entertain the idea of HAVING to win her over and compete with Gary. I mean there’s still time in the season for Alex to finally throw is hat in the ring but i hope not. I for one am rooting for Alex to keep his distance from Mads on principal alone. Hell I’d be happy if he hooks up with Lucy. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Gary has already displayed some pathetic tendencies but I think this takes the cake. I mean getting pussy by default? Extra pathetic. It was different when the girls were just throwing themselves at him and he had his choice but Collin was right he’s never had such strong competition before. So now he resorts to such pathetic antics in order to get laid? The thirst and desperation in these shows has always disgusted me so this isn’t anything new but still. 🙄

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Like 7
On 5/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, iMonrey said:

There are mounted, stationary cameras all over the boat, like surveillance cameras. That's also what's in the crew quarters. Glenn doesn't allow/disallow what they film or show, he has no control over that. The shots of Glenn relaxing in the wheelhouse or foraging for food in the kitchen are just what they seem, a contrast to the mania and hijinks of the crew out on the town. I don't know why they don't do that with Captain Lee or Sandy, except that neither of them are as jovial or as likeable as Glenn, and this was probably something they started doing on BDSY specifically because Glenn is so enjoyable and often talks to himself when he's alone.

I always figured the difference is that it appears Glen can be truly alone on Parsifal. On the bigger super yachts, there's likely always the "secret crew" of first officer and engineers wandering about and there is no real privacy.