Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: It Chooses

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think what people mean by straightforward mysterious is that we were told things in The first couple of episodes that are still true.  A lot of times in these kind of mysteries the final episode would be a character you knew for three episodes being the big bad  monster.  It would be like Walter was secretly to blame for the plane crash.     The mysteries on this show are pretty straight forward and you can probably guess where this is all going because it told you where it was all going pretty much from day one.    There are of course a lot of shocks.  Adam being murdered.   The girls eating Jackie.  It was Jeff who sent those blackmail postcards…or more likely Jeff’s BFF Randy.  Things like that but even the shocking moments work into the overall story as well.    And what is extraordinary about the show is both the current storyline and the 90s storylines both well acted and fascinating to watch.

Edited by Chaos Theory
Clarity
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

Everyone, please remember not to insult fans who have a differing opinion on the show, whether they're here or on Reddit (and there is some crossover!). Like I said before, debate is perfectly fine, just don't make it personal or your posts will disappear. Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I see lots of references  to "Cabin Daddy." Was this ever said in the show? Did the writers use the term in a podcast or interview? Or did the name come from Reddit or another fan site?

29 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

I see lots of references  to "Cabin Daddy." Was this ever said in the show? Did the writers use the term in a podcast or interview? Or did the name come from Reddit or another fan site?

Nope, just a fan, maybe Reddit, way of referring to the guy who used to live in the cabin and was found dead in the attic. That was presumably who appeared at Jackie's death. I don't know where the name came from originally. I just heard it and didn't have any other way to refer to the guy anyway, so I've used it.

2 hours ago, Anela said:

Yeah, they need to pick a story line, and go with it, instead of trying to play to it all, to keep some people happy. 

I think they honestly picked their storyline from the start and haven't strayed from it. If they wanted to go full Scooby Doo or WB's Supernatural, I think they'd do it and know they'd be making some people happy regardless.

The characters lived through this and 25 years later still think maybe there was something in the woods or maybe it didn't exist--and yet none of them are driven to find the answer about the woods, only themselves. Like in this ep when Lottie was laying out her case for one of them to kill themselves, she projected that interpretation onto everyone else's story after the women themselves all explained their problems differently. And yet nobody on the show's run to the internet or the library to research and find out the symbol is part of some ancient cult that called up a certain Forest God. It's just what they did and why.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

That's another thing: how would they explain a dead body, or missing person? Shauna has a family, so does Tai. Lottie runs the cult. Misty has a job, and now a boyfriend. Van runs her store. Nat is the only one who doesn't really have anyone outside of the group, that we know of. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

In a previous episode teen Shauna declares someone was stealing bear meat. I had two suspects Javi and Nugget. Sadly it now appears that Nugget may have had the ultimate alibi.

And how quick did the pre-dinner meeting get sorted?? Not one person raised an objection to potentially being the main course? Or that it was being decided by a deck of cards. Shit jumped off quick is all I'm saying.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
7 minutes ago, CoachMartinez said:

And how quick did the pre-dinner meeting get sorted?? Not one person raised an objection to potentially being the main course? Or that it was being decided by a deck of cards. Shit jumped off quick is all I'm saying.

Yep. At this rate, I suspect next season will start with them just wearing their Pit Girl scene garb with no explanation as to how they got there lol.

I wonder if they plan on showing the card draw and hunt of everyone they do it to? Because that will get redundant real fast. But at the same time, what else are they gonna fill 3 more seasons with?

If they never explain Dark Tai, the man with no eyes, the symbol, cabin guy, etc. then that is fucking ridiculous. But, as much as I kinda think they might be shit, I actually have more faith in the writers than that lol. Hell, they have even said

Spoiler

they're going to explain the scene in the pilot where Natalie saw Misty at the party and I didn't even think that was a big mystery!

So, I don't see them just giving no explanations for these big plot points.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

So, I don't see them just giving no explanations for these big plot points.

So just to be clear, if we're talking about, for instance, The Man with No Eyes, you don't consider the flashbacks that introduced him to be a potential explanation?

• Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CoachMartinez said:

And Travis! His mysterious death is on the back burner. I've been waiting for the why on 'giving' Lottie his bank details before he went to meet who or whatever on the other side

Yeah that makes no sense. If he had no intention of killing himself, why give his bank info? 

With regards to Cabin Daddy, it's a fan moniker, similar to Pit Girl. 

I think the writers built up to the card draw with little hints, (Gen and Melissa talking about eating Crystal, Lottie telling Misty to use her body if she dies, the hallucinations and effects of prolonged starvation), however I agree it would've been nice to see that Come To Jesus meeting when the group agrees to a sacrifice. That's a massive turning point in the story. Was everyone all in? Did anyone disagree about using cards to decide? Was there an argument over possible exemptions (Nat/Travis' value as hunters, Javi because of his youth). I hate when Offscreen becomes a character and you just have to imagine all these events taking place. 

I still think it was a great episode, but they need to handle some of these transitions better. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
33 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That was one of my fave scenes this season. So hilarious!

It was a good one! "I mean what if she is dead... it wouldn't be the worst thing...I know, right?...but I totally hope she's okay! (said in the most disingenuous tone ever). One thing this show nails is dark humor. 

• Like 9

I just thought of one of the biggest plots I really hope they delve into more: Dark Tai taking Van to trees with the symbol on them. They better not pull some ‘it’s a coincidence’ shit with that lol.

That reminded me, did the tree that has the underground cave that presumably Javi was living in have a symbol on it?

• Like 3

There was a time that I was a part of ATLS (Advance Trauma Life Support). There is a line in the book that states that 'you're not dead until you're warm and dead." The younger and healthier the person, the more likely they can be resuscitated. Misty and the others wouldn't know it, but someone reviving after hypothermia,even with no intervention, have been known to happen. The vocal chords shut. Javi may come back yet.

I don't believe it, but maybe.

Also 'dark' Tai is really 'bad' Tai Sammy™ or sleeping walking Tai. The definition of dark personalities is a little off for her, but perhaps the writers will clear up just what condition she ultimately has.

Nah.

I don't like Cabin Daddy either, but that's a personal peeve.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

That reminded me, did the tree that has the underground cave that presumably Javi was living in have a symbol on it?

Yes, Nat specifically said he was "bowing to a symbol tree."

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think the writers built up to the card draw with little hints, (Gen and Melissa talking about eating Crystal, Lottie telling Misty to use her body if she dies, the hallucinations and effects of prolonged starvation), however I agree it would've been nice to see that Come To Jesus meeting when the group agrees to a sacrifice. That's a massive turning point in the story. Was everyone all in? Did anyone disagree about using cards to decide? Was there an argument over possible exemptions (Nat/Travis' value as hunters, Javi because of his youth). I hate when Offscreen becomes a character and you just have to imagine all these events taking place. 

I understand why people want to have seen that discussion, but, for me, it worked far better without it.  The hints were indeed there, but I didn’t see it coming and that’s what made it good - great - tv for me. I went from “why are they standing in a circle drawing cards?”  to “holy crap! They’re picking their dinner victim!” so fast that the horror hit me in a way I don’t think it would’ve if we’d seen the discussions.   Mileage varies, of course, but it worked much better for me this way. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

So now we know there was a better than good chance that Javi was living in or under that tree, there were a lot of bones down there, human or animal? Other than stealing the bear meat what was Javi eating? Will we learn if the tunnel leads somewhere interesting or is it just a large pit sort of thing?

Did Javi really have to take Nat across the lake to get to the hidden tree pit place?

I noticed the bones scattered everywhere in the tree pit place and I thought I saw the letter "M." Will we find out if that is a hidden message of some kind?

Is anyone else completely distracted by Misty's hair in the cabin, it looks uncomfortable, that is the best way I can describe it...yes I know that showers are not happening, etc...but that poor actress wearing that terrible wig.

So many questions.

• Like 2

I just rewatched the drawing cards scene and the manner in which they did it is driving me crazy because it makes no sense lol. Van shuffles the cards and then has Misty, who is to Van's right, draw. Misty then takes the cards and has Akilah, who is to Van's left, draw. Then Misty goes back to Van and Van draws. Then Misty moves to Van's right for the rest of the draws. Just totally nonsensical. I also noticed Van's very fake imo reaction to Nat drawing the Queen. It's all making me wonder if Van rigged it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I just rewatched the drawing cards scene and the manner in which they did it is driving me crazy because it makes no sense lol. Van shuffles the cards and then has Misty, who is to Van's right, draw. Misty then takes the cards and has Akilah, who is to Van's left, draw. Then Misty goes back to Van and Van draws. Then Misty moves to Van's right for the rest of the draws. Just totally nonsensical. I also noticed Van's very fake imo reaction to Nat drawing the Queen. It's all making me wonder if Van rigged it.

So Misty drew first and went around the circle to the right starting with Akilah. I watched it again to see Van's reaction. It didn't look fake to me--it reminded me of her reaction when Lottie killed the bear, but not exactly.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think they all must be so hungry they agreed to take the chance it would be them. It would have been nice to see though. When Tai first brought up needing to find a way to survive, I thought they were going to come up with a plan to kill Ben, since he was the only one not there.

But if Javi had been surviving in the cave and knew there were small animals there, you'd think he'd speak up about that. He knew there was another option. Or that Misty would admit that Crystal's dead and suggest they all go looking for the body. I don't think anyone would accuse Misty of being a killer when they are all just planning to actually slit someone's throat.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 5/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Did anyone see the underground area? I think maybe there was water? I tried to go back and look but it’s just so dark.

The thing that stuck out to me (aside from the tiny bones) was that it looked like there was a spot of illumination as if from an incandescent light bulb. There has been speculation about mines underground, so my thought was that was a mining tunnel and (for whatever reason) the lighting still works.

I agree with others who say that the transition to selective sacrifice was far too abrupt given the pacing of the rest of the season.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

The thing that bothered me is that instead of counting out 12 cards for 12 people (or however many are left now), Van shuffled the Queen back into the entire deck and they all chose from that.  They were all so happy when they pulled the eight of clubs or four of diamonds like they didn't realize there was a good chance they'd have to choose another card or three before someone hit the Queen of Hearts.  

I'm looking forward to tonight's Showtime airing.  I don't know if it is the same for everyone but the picture is brighter on the broadcast than it is on streaming and I'm hoping I'll get a better view of the cave.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
24 minutes ago, Thalia said:

The thing that bothered me is that instead of counting out 12 cards for 12 people (or however many are left now), Van shuffled the Queen back into the entire deck and they all chose from that.  They were all so happy when they pulled the eight of clubs or four of diamonds like they didn't realize there was a good chance they'd have to choose another card or three before someone hit the Queen of Hearts.  

I'm looking forward to tonight's Showtime airing.  I don't know if it is the same for everyone but the picture is brighter on the broadcast than it is on streaming and I'm hoping I'll get a better view of the cave.  

I thought about that too, so wondered if they wouldn't have to choose again if the Wilderness just said no. Otherwise, why use the whole deck instead of the number of cards there were people?

• Like 6
(edited)

I could see the interior of the cave better just now.  It clearly shows the presence of human occupation.   Apart from the stone circle fireplace (altar?), I noticed a metal object that looked something like lantern or maybe a thermos.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Or that Misty would admit that Crystal's dead and suggest they all go looking for the body. I don't think anyone would accuse Misty of being a killer when they are all just planning to actually slit someone's throat.

When they were looking for Kristen/Crystal, Misty couldn't find her body in the snow. Also, she can't go back now and say, "well, I think she was over here..." I wonder where her body went. 

Nat would not have let Javi drown if she had the strength to pull him in herself. However, he was struggling and he could have taken her with her and the others kept her from helping him. 

I'm not surprised at Ben leaving but I thought he would have been going to kill himself after last week's attempt and dreams he was having. But glad to see that he didn't and didn't want to participate in the Lord or the Flies scenario. I hope he makes it. 

Shame on Tai for telling Akilah that Nugget was just a skeleton. I was bummed. And, she's still cruel. Van seems the most "normal" of the bunch, but she's dealing with cancer at the moment.

Jeff telling Callie about Shauna having the baby in the woods and not to blame her due to her experiences in the woods was heartbreaking. He seems broken about it, too, in quick juxtaposition to his nightmare about Shauna! 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Was there an argument over possible exemptions (Nat/Travis' value as hunters, Javi because of his youth).

This made me crazy. They are going to include in this lottery the individuals who have proved to be the most valuable in helping them thus far survive?!? Because they just showed us that Lottie is exempt because several of them rely on her for strength, inspiration, guidance, whatever.

And I don’t believe that Natalie would have let the others restrain her from trying to rescue Javi. Javi was out there only to help Natalie. He had so much to risk. Natalie knew how angry Travis was when he realized that she tried to deceive him and convince him that Javi was dead. Honestly, I would have been so tired and feeling so hopeless that I would have wanted my last moment alive to show that I loved Travis and I wanted to help Javi, who just tried to save my life.

And why the whooping and cheering as they chased Natalie?!?!  So suddenly you are enthusiastically hunting a person with whom you have been suffering and bonding for weeks/months, trying to survive?

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And why the whooping and cheering as they chased Natalie?!?!  So suddenly you are enthusiastically hunting a person with whom you have been suffering and bonding for weeks/months, trying to survive?

They literally turned animalistic during the hunt. So much so that over all of the hooting and hollering someone’s like, I don’t hear her, and somehow Tai had some supersonic hearing to be like, this way! Was it “the wilderness” giving them some special skills for the hunt? We saw how far of a lead Natalie and Travis had. They wouldn’t have heard her with normal human hearing.

They are now fully anthropomorphizing the wilderness by saying, “It chooses.” I mean, I guess they have been for a while, praying so it will bring them food or safety. But this is just a whole new level now instead of It helping them, It is deciding whom to kill.

What was it that Lottie said last episode (in present time) about the hunt? Something like a kill isn’t ___ without the hunt? I feel like now that we’ve seen the hunt, this phrase would have a new meaning—but I can’t remember what exactly she said about it.

ETA: I found the quote. It was when Lottie was imagining that the Antler Queen was her therapist, and AQ said to her, "Does a hunt that has no violence feed anyone?" Hmm. The hunt of Natalie was violent the way they were all hollering and chasing after her. Contrast it to Natalie or Travis quietly and calmly tracking a deer or other animal. I do think this has a secondary meaning. “Feed” isn’t just nourishment for the teens, but also “feeding the soul” of the wilderness. It now demands not just blood, but violence. Maybe it’s why the blood sacrifices seemingly stopped working. It’s upped the ante. (And before someone chimes in that there is no wilderness spirit, regardless of whether “It” is an actual entity, this is what the girls are seemingly believing.)

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Okay so they all picked a card, Nat was "It," and Shauna is ready to slit her throat but they are going to do it in the cabin and not outside? Seems unrealistic that they would make such a mess in their only living quarters.  Why wouldn't they do it outside? 

Do we think Javi will wake up out of his frozen coma before they butcher him? His slowed heart rate could have just made him immobile and being out of the water and warmer in a sense might raise his heart rate and wake himself up, am I crazy for thinking this?

Coach finds the secret tunnel and is going to go in but first he throws his crutch in to see how deep it is, he would have been in a bad way if the hole was really deep, he would be in the snow with one crutch trying to get back to the shack...seems like he could have broken a branch from a tree or thrown a rock instead.

I sort of wish they (the writers) did not make Shauna kill Adam, I don't think that would move the story along just detour it. If she had killed Jeff maybe it would have been something for the story but Adam, meh. 

The mouse being dead was nuts, I wondered how it would be alive with nothing to eat, I liked the reality vs. fantasy of Akilah thinking she had something to take care of.  

Maybe soon there will be some wildlife they can kill but what about ice fishing, I mean they already have a hole in the ice, ya know!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Seriously. Shauna is all broken up having to kill Nat and then suddenly she's chasing her and making weird animal noises. The entirety of those scenes from them talking about having to eat to the nonsensical way they drew cards to chasing Nat just didn't work for me. Obviously this isn't a realistic show but still all of that was just a bit too dumb for me to handle.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

What has coach contributed? Nothing. Misty should have let him jump to his sad, easy meal death. 

Shauna is so smart, yet dumb enough to write it all down in journals. 

• Sad 1
35 minutes ago, J80134 said:

Come to think of it, she's going insane and hallucinating and becoming feral at the drop of a hat but she's still writing everything down in her journals. OK then lol.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Seriously. Shauna is all broken up having to kill Nat and then suddenly she's chasing her and making weird animal noises. The entirety of those scenes from them talking about having to eat to the nonsensical way they drew cards to chasing Nat just didn't work for me. Obviously this isn't a realistic show but still all of that was just a bit too dumb for me to handle.

Was Shauna broken up?  I think I missed that in her rush to grab the knife to kill Nat immediately.

• Like 2

So the girls go from hiding Javi from Shauna's savage beating of Lottie to being A-OK with his drowning because belt stew sucks. Van looked like a college student with the munchies counting down the seconds until her Hot Pocket finished cooking in the microwave. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
40 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, she was hesitating. That's how Travis had time to run in and stop her.

She hesitated only after Nat told her she had to face her while killing her.  Otherwise, she picked up that knife lickety split and had it at Nat's throat right away.

• Like 3

She didn’t immediately slice her throat, then she hesitated, but then she’s suddenly feral and grunting and running after her. It just didn’t work for me.

And the whole ‘they’re starving’ just isn’t cutting it for me personally as an explanation for the abrupt or nonsensical ways things are happening.

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
12 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

Shame on Tai for telling Akilah that Nugget was just a skeleton

Would anyone not have done the same? I can’t imagine allowing someone to continue to believe their hallucinations were real .

• Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, J80134 said:

What has coach contributed? Nothing. Misty should have let him jump to his sad, easy meal death. 

Coach has been hallucinating and ill, much like Lottie. 

Come to think of it, she's going insane and hallucinating and becoming feral at the drop of a hat but she's still writing everything down in her journals. OK then lol.

We have no idea how much she wrote down in her journals, or how delusional she was when she wrote in them. I wouldn’t assume everything she wrote there was objective fact. 

They’re ALL going insane and hallucinating due to starvation and incredible trauma. Shauna also just experienced extreme blood loss and was unconscious for hours due to a traumatic birth experience. She may even have been experiencing PPD. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Was Shauna broken up?  I think I missed that in her rush to grab the knife to kill Nat immediately.

She didn’t seem exactly “broken up,” but seemed to have some kind of emotion causing her to put Jackie’s necklace on Nat. She also turned Nat around when asked to look her in the eye before killing her. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, J80134 said:

He taught them how to hunt, and butcher an animal. If he had both full legs, he'd probably be doing a lot more. As much as any of them could.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 5/21/2023 at 9:23 AM, CoachMartinez said:

In a previous episode teen Shauna declares someone was stealing bear meat. I had two suspects Javi and Nugget. Sadly it now appears that Nugget may have had the ultimate alibi.

Nugget the mouse? That would have to be a helluvan appetite for a mouse to eat enough bear meat that anyone would notice.

Belt soup. Heh.

I don’t like the term Cabin Daddy; it’s a creepy name for a guy in a show about teen girls. Just call him Cabin Guy. 

The whoopin’ and hollerin’ I guess I can see because they got caught up in the hunt as their prey escaped. Maybe it helped them to hunt one of their own if they stopped seeing her as one of their own and treated her like prey instead. ::shrug:: 

As for why they used the whole deck and not just the same number of cards as people? I’m assuming it’s so there’s not that obvious moment when the second last person chooses a card that isn’t the queen (assuming no one picked it yet), so everyone knows the last person is the winner/loser. Using the whole deck means they just keep going around until the queen shows up. And I have no issue with the visible sense of relief when they didn’t pick the queen, even though they could possibly have to pick again. They were safe on that pick, so of course they’re going to be relieved.

But I’m intrigued by the notion upthread that Van stacked the deck to ensure Nat would pick the queen. That’s a whole other level of nasty.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I don’t like the term Cabin Daddy; it’s a creepy name for a guy in a show about teen girls. Just call him Cabin Guy. 

Agree. I feel the same about all the cringeworthy fan monikers used by some, tbh. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, CoachMartinez said:

Jacques has been used already ?Dammit. I was so pleased with myself too

No, I was asking if I’d missed that one.

12 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The only way they were able to go after her is if they went animalistic. That's part of how they can do it--much like in Lord of the Flies where they acted similarly. If they were jogging along talking about killing Nat it would be harder, just as it was in the cabin when Shauna couldn't cut her throat even before she was looking her in the eyes. There's a reason they're eventually going to be dressed as animals. This is part of the states Lottie called ecstatic. 

10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

There's nothing about her currently that suggests she wouldn't be capable of writing journals and even wanting to, off and n. Akilah was studying for the SATs not that long ago. It's not as unexplainable as, say, Misty starting her card offerings with one of the two people closest to her on the right.

13 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

And I don’t believe that Natalie would have let the others restrain her from trying to rescue Javi. Javi was out there only to help Natalie. He had so much to risk. Natalie knew how angry Travis was when he realized that she tried to deceive him and convince him that Javi was dead. Honestly, I would have been so tired and feeling so hopeless that I would have wanted my last moment alive to show that I loved Travis and I wanted to help Javi, who just tried to save my life.

I like Nat, but I've never been on board with the premise that she's so very morally superior to everybody else. She let Javi drown because she'd rather somebody else die instead of her. Maybe she, too, imagined that she would have wanted her last moment to show she loved the Travis but when the Wilderness offered up somebody else, she took it and told herself she tried. I like her more every time she fails a moral test people have already given her credit for. She made the decision to let him die and now she's living with that.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

When they were looking for Kristen/Crystal, Misty couldn't find her body in the snow. Also, she can't go back now and say, "well, I think she was over here..." I wonder where her body went. 

Misty couldn't find her, but if they all looked together maybe they would. I don't see why Misty can't change her story now. They are talking about murdering Natalie, they can't really condemn Misty for saying she saw Crystal fall. And they are so hungry they won't question the story.

I have a hard time believe they were all so willing to turn to killers that fast though.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3